PDA

View Full Version : rares

Red Ring
Jan 27, 2010, 09:23 PM
rares, you see them everywhere especially in MMOs and japan where lots of products are randomized. this increases value to the most desirable and rare items. sometimes items are so rare that you may never get them without paying cold hard cash to get it from someone who does have it. i hate randomized garbage that is simply unobtainable at best to the average person.

Volcompat321
Jan 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk115/Volcompat321/e90e858e.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

lavisblade
Jan 27, 2010, 10:36 PM
I think that's because they're...rare...I dunno, just shooting off an idea...wouldn't be much of a rare if it wasn't rare, don't you think?

Red Ring
Jan 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
i also hate things that take forever to get but are guaranteed. dont tease me bra

lavisblade
Jan 27, 2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe this should be in the "What pisses you off" thread...

MetaZedlen
Jan 27, 2010, 11:27 PM
Does everything about an RPG piss you off?

If you don't like it, don't play it.

Red Ring
Jan 27, 2010, 11:42 PM
Does everything about an RPG piss you off?

If you don't like it, don't play it.

i dont. i try to play games that you can play whenever but have a sufficient amount of gameplay elements so you dont feel like a chicken with your head cut off. its hard to get a good balance where it's not boring or overly rushed which is why i kind of don't play anything at all because those games stopped evolving. :-?

Vanzazikon
Jan 28, 2010, 01:07 AM
Check it out, it's the Tetsaru of PSO.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 28, 2010, 01:18 AM
I was thinking that too.

astuarlen
Jan 28, 2010, 01:55 AM
rares, you see them everywhere especially in MMOs and japan where lots of products are randomized.

Products which would evidently be quite popular in Japan:

Wonderball
[spoiler-box]http://17.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpmsyykHRK1qzeiz8o1_250.gif[/spoiler-box]

Hidden Treasures
[spoiler-box]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/3460681932_1ecd8e3a5e.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Airheads Mystery flavor
[spoiler-box]http://www.shamanshop.net/store/images/Images_GR/GR_699920.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Doritos: The Quest
[spoiler-box]http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/06/snack_game.jpg[/spoiler-box]

And the ultimate...
[spoiler-box]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2549/3951069072_4f5dff7e03.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Sorry, that's really all I could decode of this post.

Weeaboolits
Jan 28, 2010, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry, but if you hate them so, I can't help but wonder what you're doing here.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 28, 2010, 02:34 AM
Thinking something was interesting the other day to sorta the effect going on here.

There's a bunch of items that most people will never see after years within a game that are pretty interesting in how they can push the limits of the game, and be completely over the top.

Sealed-J Sword
Heaven Punisher
etc.

Special moves, making them really, special weapons.

Then of course if anyone manages to track them down, they will share here and there, while many would be tempted to just create the item, drop it in their inventory, and then go on their way, being done with a game and what it has to offer much faster.

And you don't really need any of these rares in the first place to enjoy a game. You might even be let down by something completely rare, but when in action, completely ineffective in use anyway - or not much more effective than some standard equipment.

Red Ring
Jan 28, 2010, 09:23 AM
mille marteaux from heaven punisher has autoaim and superior atp to all other mechguns i believe. quite a fun weapon. i cant think of one tme where i started playing pso from scratch and didnt get that item before hitting level 150. i always found a way. same with many other uber items. i always thought it was funny when i came across someone near level 200 and be like why arent you wearing your red ring? and theyd be like i dont have one while i had one in my bank that i couldnt use yet lol. i usually get all the good rares within a month of play. yes a month. i play nonstop hardcore trading constantly and then buy the one or two items that people wont sell for price guide value because they are just too valuable and rare. ive done this like at least 8 times before i realized that oncei got it all id be wasting time killing zombies all day for no reason.

i really like complicated games these days with no leveling or progressive elements to them. i like 10 to 30 minute gameplay sessions where i fight against other players with a lot of decisions on my part at my disposal in order to win rather than showing off rares. when i turn the game off i want it to save nothing ive done for later use. but i dont like those endurance games where its all twitch and no brain.

astuarlen
Jan 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
mille marteaux from heaven punisher has autoaim and superior atp to all other mechguns i believe. quite a fun weapon. i cant think of one tme where i started playing pso from scratch and didnt get that item before hitting level 150. i always found a way. same with many other uber items. i always thought it was funny when i came across someone near level 200 and be like why arent you wearing your red ring? and theyd be like i dont have one while i had one in my bank that i couldnt use yet lol. i usually get all the good rares within a month of play. yes a month. i play nonstop hardcore trading constantly and then buy the one or two items that people wont sell for price guide value because they are just too valuable and rare. ive done this like at least 8 times before i realized that oncei got it all id be wasting time killing zombies all day for no reason.

i really like complicated games these days with no leveling or progressive elements to them. i like 10 to 30 minute gameplay sessions where i fight against other players with a lot of decisions on my part at my disposal in order to win rather than showing off rares. when i turn the game off i want it to save nothing ive done for later use. but i dont like those endurance games where its all twitch and no brain.

When the juvenile troll has physically developed enough to venture out of the nest, it is only natural that the troll engage in boundary-testing behaviors. The newly weaned troll attempts to provoke its predator/prey with lavish displays, trying to use every trigger at its disposal--even at the risk of sending conflicting messages which may clue the subject in to the still-awkward troll's deception or, worse yet, exposing itself to debilitating attack. It stamps its soft paws (softer even than its developing brain matter), snarls cutely, flails, puffs up its neck ruff, twitches its tail, emits a high-pitched eek eek. The baby troll is clever enough to improvise with tools from its surroundings, but it has not realized yet that more is not always more. If the predator/prey doesn't eat the juvenile first, the troll's father or mother may eventually swoop in to rescue their child (if that's not too embarrassing) and return it to the nest.
[/nature channel]

ashley50
Jan 28, 2010, 01:58 PM

huh...now all we need is one for PSZ and PSP/2?

Red Ring
Jan 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
When the juvenile troll has physically developed enough to venture out of the nest, it is only natural that the troll engage in boundary-testing behaviors. The newly weaned troll attempts to provoke its predator/prey with lavish displays, trying to use every trigger at its disposal--even at the risk of sending conflicting messages which may clue the subject in to the still-awkward troll's deception or, worse yet, exposing itself to debilitating attack. It stamps its soft paws (softer even than its developing brain matter), snarls cutely, flails, puffs up its neck ruff, twitches its tail, emits a high-pitched eek eek. The baby troll is clever enough to improvise with tools from its surroundings, but it has not realized yet that more is not always more. If the predator/prey doesn't eat the juvenile first, the troll's father or mother may eventually swoop in to rescue their child (if that's not too embarrassing) and return it to the nest.
[/nature channel]

lol. i do know that the way i type and the things i say will piss people off. im not really a part of this community. just someone broadcasting my bs opinion all over the forum rather than being productive some place else. youre a very interesting person lol

biggabertha
Jan 28, 2010, 05:30 PM
What game is complicated enough to play for ten to thirty minutes at a time, has no leveling in it and makes you make a lot of decisions in that short amount of time..?

I can only think of Magic: The Gathering lasting that long - anything else can end in pretty much ten seconds after getting fragged, crashing or other card games where you lose before you've drawn your first card.

Hee hee... I like trolls - hard not to feed them sometimes.

Randomness
Jan 28, 2010, 05:56 PM
What game is complicated enough to play for ten to thirty minutes at a time, has no leveling in it and makes you make a lot of decisions in that short amount of time..?

I can only think of Magic: The Gathering lasting that long - anything else can end in pretty much ten seconds after getting fragged, crashing or other card games where you lose before you've drawn your first card.

Hee hee... I like trolls - hard not to feed them sometimes.

In the case of Magic, that depends on the format. Vintage, you can easily lose before drawing your first card. (In at least 20 different ways) Admittedly, that's mostly with ridiculous, godly draws. The game is good enough to be going on... actually, I don't know how old it is. 15+ years at least I think. Want to say 20, but that seems to be a bit much.

Cookie Monster
Feb 23, 2010, 12:01 AM

SoulCal and Street Fighter would like to have a word with you? ...now I feel like a troll :(

Randomness
Feb 23, 2010, 12:15 AM
SoulCal and Street Fighter would like to have a word with you? ...now I feel like a troll :(

I can't imagine a round in a fighting game lasting 10 minutes. Well, in a traditional, HP-based game.

Smash Bros, Dissidia, there... you can take 50 attacks and it doesn't mean a thing.

Alnet
Feb 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League. Same game, different name.

My younger brother and I used to play Pokemon Puzzle League ridiculously. Each round could go for 30 or more minutes each. And in versus mode, it takes 3 wins to beat the opponent.

Then again, that could be applied to any puzzle game, I guess. But who really plays puzzle games anymore, when you could be playing run-of-the-mill FPSs and RPGs? Lord knows they're in supply.

lavisblade
Feb 23, 2010, 06:53 PM
Pokemon Puzzle League
Yes.

I had/have [somewhere] that game and I liked it too...but nowhere NEAR as much as my mom did...she played it almost religiously, lol. It was fun...maybe I'll try looking for it and playing it if I didn't give it away already...

Sayara
Feb 23, 2010, 09:52 PM
That game is legandary fun, makes me wish Nintendo brought over the game to Gamecube. or even wii

Tetsaru
Feb 25, 2010, 12:15 PM

I was thinking that too.

huh...now all we need is one for PSZ and PSP/2?

Wow, I get back onto PSOW after a while, read this thread, and people are still tossing my name around in derogatory ways... oh well. Guess that's what I get for criticizing a God Sega-forsaken game that was dead back in July when I quit, and is even MORE dead after it became F2P in its last breath on PC/PS2 (seriously, MAG+ was a joke; I saw hollow stars and empty on the servers' status several times). Why Sega would support Microsoft alone, of all things, is beyond me, especially when the majority of what's left of PSU's playerbase lies in Japan... their delusions of grandeur, if you ask me. At this point, I just hope they don't fuck up Sonic 4.

Now I know you trolls will hate on me again (I'd name names, but you know who you are, it should be obvious), but you guys should know this is true. Instead of typing some witty response back, just nod your head and agree with me, or keep your shit-flinging to yourself; it'll save us all a lot of drama and further thread derailment. It's because of flaming from people like you that I got banned from PSU General indefinitely in the first place... why they won't let me back after all these months is still beyond me, it's not like I'll be able to play after March 31 if I wanted to without either buying a new spontaneously combustible console or learning moonspeak...

Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League. Same game, different name.

My younger brother and I used to play Pokemon Puzzle League ridiculously. Each round could go for 30 or more minutes each. And in versus mode, it takes 3 wins to beat the opponent.

Then again, that could be applied to any puzzle game, I guess. But who really plays puzzle games anymore, when you could be playing run-of-the-mill FPSs and RPGs? Lord knows they're in supply.

Tetris Attack/Puzzle League/Panel de Pon was the SHIT; I loved playing those games. I'd love to see a new release of it online on something like PS3... yeah, I know it's Nintendo-exclusive and the DS version had online play, but you know how I am about the Wii and its lack of strong hardware and networking support. =/

As for the lack of good puzzle games, I agree; I'm sick of seeing FPS games, but I think we could use MORE RPG games (at least PS3 does, although recent releases like FF13, the new Star Ocean, and White Knight Chronicles are definitely helping). I know EA released a Tetris Minis game for the PSP, but a lot of people were upset when they heard it wasn't compatible with the PS3's firmware update that allowed people to play Minis games on the PS3 itself. Turns out that Adam Grant of Sony Computer Entertainment of Europe announced that EA's working on a separate version for the PS3 to take advantage of its features, according to this post. (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/02/01/the-shortest-month-is-now-minis-month/#comment-54303) I haven't been able to find any other news about this game without it referring back to this, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Personally, I'd love to see a good Tetris game with online and trophy support... although I would've liked something similar to Tetris Attack a lot more, but I'll take it.

That game is legandary fun, makes me wish Nintendo brought over the game to Gamecube. or even wii

Pokemon Puzzle League is on the Wii's Virtual Console. I have it on mine. :3

Outrider
Feb 25, 2010, 04:01 PM
Wow, I get back onto PSOW after a while, read this thread, and people are still tossing my name around in derogatory ways... oh well. Guess that's what I get for criticizing a God Sega-forsaken game that was dead back in July when I quit, and is even MORE dead after it became F2P in its last breath on PC/PS2 (seriously, MAG+ was a joke; I saw hollow stars and empty on the servers' status several times). Why Sega would support Microsoft alone, of all things, is beyond me, especially when the majority of what's left of PSU's playerbase lies in Japan... their delusions of grandeur, if you ask me. At this point, I just hope they don't fuck up Sonic 4.

Now I know you trolls will hate on me again (I'd name names, but you know who you are, it should be obvious), but you guys should know this is true. Instead of typing some witty response back, just nod your head and agree with me, or keep your shit-flinging to yourself; it'll save us all a lot of drama and further thread derailment. It's because of flaming from people like you that I got banned from PSU General indefinitely in the first place... why they won't let me back after all these months is still beyond me, it's not like I'll be able to play after March 31 if I wanted to without either buying a new spontaneously combustible console or learning moonspeak...

My favorite part of this post - aside from Tetsaru's usual dragging his soap box wherever he goes to give his "everyone is crazy but me" speech - is that he's complaining about posts made weeks before any PSOW hiatus he might have taken.

(Then again - the idea that people should just agree with him so that he shuts up is a new favorite.)

Anywho, the idea that puzzle games are somehow on the way out is a real strange one. What about Lumines? Puzzle Quest? Peggle? Heck, Bejeweled is an entirely traditional puzzle game and has sold 25 million. Puzzle games as a genre are stronger than they've ever been. Sure, they're mostly on PC or mobile platforms, but there's plenty out there if you're looking.

amtalx
Feb 25, 2010, 05:12 PM
Get Chime. It's $5, goes to charity, has fantastic music, and is the ultimate Lumines/Tetris lovechild.

Sayara
Feb 26, 2010, 06:48 AM
Pokemon Puzzle League is on the Wii's Virtual Console. I have it on mine. :3

If i didnt own it on N64 already I'd go to it. Gamecube though had a 4 player legandary Dr Mario/Panel de Pon remake that i alwasy wanted to try. the CPU was alledgedly made harder too

Firocket1690
Feb 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
If i didnt own it on N64 already I'd go to it. Gamecube though had a 4 player legandary Dr Mario/Panel de Pon remake that i alwasy wanted to try. the CPU was alledgedly made harder too
That one's on the GBA. And shit's hardcore. It's literally designed for people who know the game inside out. It times how long it takes you to achieve a score of 9,999,999. Then another timer for how long it takes to reach 99,999,999. I could never do it in one sitting. I usually keep it on Hard at Lv.50 though. My favourite part about this specific version though (as opposed to planet puzzle League on DS) is that it's got vertical mode, where it uses the GBA screen horisontally, up down. This works for me 'cause I'd hold the GBASP 90degrees on the side, and just.. go at it. Then again, I only play marathon mode on this though.
As for the CPU, I don't think I ever beat it past lv.17.

Not that long ago, I dug out Pokemon Puzzle League on GBC. Turns out that old save file is up to Koga's Crobar in SHard (or VHard? the last mode). Damn, that game is brutal..

Nitro Vordex
Mar 1, 2010, 01:05 AM
http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/1-30days-pour-wine-lg-63555269.jpg

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 fall under that.

...Actually, most FPS's do that. :/

Also, on the subject of puzzles:
http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/genesis/Columns.gif

Tetsaru
Mar 1, 2010, 05:06 PM
Amusing as always I see, Nitro. If I actually liked the taste of most alcoholic beverages, I probably would've drank them a lot more often when I visited these forums, (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/ernesthemi163527.html) but I guess it's just Pepsis and Mt. Dews for now, lol (I may not be an alcoholic, but I AM a soda-holic... @_@ ). Oh well, with PC/PS2 PSU dead in a month (good riddance to dealing with Sega's poor management of the game, and hello possible future F2P private servers, I say), and several new games coming out in March (if Sony fixes their damn network problem that's been going lately), I'll most likely be too busy to worry with Phantasy Star related stuff anyway. Still, I'm curious as to what direction the 360 servers will take after March 31st, with this whole "10th anniversary announcement" rumor or whatever going around... but I'm not expecting anything worthwhile. It's like Sega keeps trying too hard to impress everyone these days, and then has to slap their name on everything to leech a quick buck off to make up for it (*cough* Bayonetta *cough*) - fuel to constantly perpetuate the dreaded "Sonic Cycle" we've all come to know and hate, for instance. For now, I say bring on White Knight Chronicles, FF13, the FF14 Beta, God of War 3, and Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and let me finish my trophy-whoring on my other PS3 games... again, if they get everything fixed (they better, I don't need any Sega-ism from them too). >_<

Back on the puzzle game discussion: Columns was alright when I played it on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection, but I preferred the Puyo Pop themed Dr. Robotnik's Mean PINGAS Bean Machine. I could've sworn there was a Puyo Pop game out for Gamecube or Wii a long time ago, but I never got a chance to play it... I haven't seen any newer iterations lately. =/

CrimsomWolf
Mar 1, 2010, 05:26 PM
Amusing as always I see, Nitro. If I actually liked the taste of most alcoholic beverages, I probably would've drank them a lot more often when I visited these forums, (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/ernesthemi163527.html) but I guess it's just Pepsis and Mt. Dews for now, lol (I may not be an alcoholic, but I AM a soda-holic... @_@ ). Oh well, with PC/PS2 PSU dead in a month (good riddance to dealing with Sega's poor management of the game, and hello possible future F2P private servers, I say), and several new games coming out in March (if Sony fixes their damn network problem that's been going lately), I'll most likely be too busy to worry with Phantasy Star related stuff anyway. Still, I'm curious as to what direction the 360 servers will take after March 31st, with this whole "10th anniversary announcement" rumor or whatever going around... but I'm not expecting anything worthwhile. It's like Sega keeps trying too hard to impress everyone these days, and then has to slap their name on everything to leech a quick buck off to make up for it (*cough* Bayonetta *cough*) - fuel to constantly perpetuate the dreaded "Sonic Cycle" we've all come to know and hate, for instance. For now, I say bring on White Knight Chronicles, FF13, the FF14 Beta, God of War 3, and Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and let me finish my trophy-whoring on my other PS3 games... again, if they get everything fixed (they better, I don't need any Sega-ism from them too). >_<

Back on the puzzle game discussion: Columns was alright when I played it on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection, but I preferred the Puyo Pop themed Dr. Robotnik's Mean PINGAS Bean Machine. I could've sworn there was a Puyo Pop game out for Gamecube or Wii a long time ago, but I never got a chance to play it... I haven't seen any newer iterations lately. =/

As a great man once said :"You talk too much"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwSMjF0EjE

Tetsaru
Mar 1, 2010, 05:37 PM
You talk too much

Wrong - I WRITE and POST too much. If you REALLY knew me, you'd know I'm not a very talkative guy. No one's forcing you to read what I post; do the smart thing and put me on your ignore list if it bugs you that much.

And lol at the random unrelated Mass Effect 2 video? o_o

amtalx
Mar 1, 2010, 05:53 PM
Crap, I didn't get that cut scene in my play throughs...maybe I'll just have to play it a 4th time.

lavisblade
Mar 1, 2010, 09:38 PM
Wrong - I WRITE and POST too much. If you REALLY knew me, you'd know I'm not a very talkative guy. No one's forcing you to read what I post; do the smart thing and put me on your ignore list if it bugs you that much.
Ha, I know what you mean. That's pretty much me too...lol

Ha, Mean Bean Machine...I played that on one of those Collection games (for the GC) too...it was cool, but I'm not too into those kind of puzzle games...I like mostly RPGs, some FPS, and puzzles like LoZ. I don't mind some racing games, but only like Burnout, not the realistic ones (though Gran Turismo is okay, because my and my brother would play some random circle course and play tag/ram-into-each-other-as-fast-as-possible...though I haven't done that in like...forever, lol.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
I can't imagine a round in a fighting game lasting 10 minutes. Well, in a traditional, HP-based game.

Smash Bros, Dissidia, there... you can take 50 attacks and it doesn't mean a thing.
Why would you just play once?

Most of us are console anyway, hit rematch!

You'll stay in your zone.

Please don't call that one, Final Fantasy, a traditional fighting game, more of an arena battler. As you might have noticed, they never do traditional games besides their flagship, everything else is a mish mash inbetween hybrid, but not really.

Not like they don't have big enough development houses and talented people, its just like, "stop fooling around with these small projects that will sell via our brand's name alone and get back to texturing the chocobo, make the frosty tips on this character pink! Make a complicated choreograph sequence you can only see once in the game, not ever again via like a quick cutscene viewer, its not wasteful at all!"

Outrider
Mar 1, 2010, 09:54 PM
Tetsaru posts are truly something to savor. My choicest morsel from this last post was the following:

It's like Sega keeps trying too hard to impress everyone these days, and then has to slap their name on everything to leech a quick buck off to make up for it (*cough* Bayonetta *cough*)

He has no idea what a publisher does. This honestly put a grin on my face.

Also, just to stay on topic, I'd like to throw Geometry Wars into the fray for a game that you can play for a few minutes at a time and keep coming back to.

I personally play Geometry Wars 2 the most (as it's easy to jump into between other games), but Geometry Wars Galaxies is really good. I'd definitely recommend it on either the Wii or the DS, as they're both good packages (and really cheap these days, too). It's one of my favorite simple games.

Please don't call that one, Final Fantasy, a traditional fighting game, more of an arena battler. As you might have noticed, they never do traditional games besides their flagship, everything else is a mish mash inbetween hybrid, but not really.

http://psxmedia.ign.com/psx/image/object/011/011439/601048boxart_160w.jpg

Nitro Vordex
Mar 1, 2010, 10:21 PM
*snip*
I really can't remember Columns very well, other than it was really the only puzzle game I liked. Mean Bean Machine was a kick in the dick.

Tetsaru
Mar 1, 2010, 10:32 PM
Tetsaru posts are truly something to savor. My choicest morsel from this last post was the following:

BLAH

He has no idea what a publisher does. This honestly put a grin on my face.

I'm glad you get off to it, pal. You ever tried NOT being a cocky douche?

And seriously, if Sega's actually putting money into other companies' game developments, doesn't that seem counterproductive to their situation anyway?? They need to be MAKING money on their own IP, NOT spending it on other things, imo.

But to be honest, I don't give two shits if Sega is a developer, a producer, or the queen of England - the only thing I'm concerned with is whether or not the games I buy that have Sega's logo slapped on them are worth playing for the $30-$60 I spend on them. I don't MAKE games, I PLAY them, and when I make a purchase I expect it to be worth my time and money.

Volcompat321
Mar 1, 2010, 10:46 PM
I don't MAKE games, I PLAY them, and when I make a purchase I expect it to be worth my time and money.

I could agree with the last statement.

When I was younger, I'd only get a game on my birthday or Christmas(until I was old enough for a job).
So I'd always take weeeeeeks to choose a game, fearing it would be shitty.
Playstation 2 was the worst for me when I finally got one, like 4 years after they came out...(more like 2 and a half or so, but still).

I remember reading reviews, looking up videos, asking friends....but I still got the occasional crappy game.

This always sucked.

To me it seems some companies are just using their good name to sell crappy games.
I can mention a few, but I don't want to be criticized for saying things about games...

I'm sure you guys can figure out which games.

lavisblade
Mar 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
I don't MAKE games, I PLAY them, and when I make a purchase I expect it to be worth my time and money.
Why wouldn't you agree with that?

Paying for a crappy game? You might as well give away money...who REALLY likes doing that?

Didn't think so...

I'm not too picky, really, so I'll play just about whatever I have, though I don't buy games very often, so when I do, I KNOW it's one I want. Usually, it'll be after I've played it at a friend's house for hours. Lol

Randomness
Mar 1, 2010, 11:32 PM

I didn't... I don't think. I was contrasting it to traditional fighters. (It and Smash Bros, which is also nowhere near being a traditional fighting game)

lavisblade
Mar 1, 2010, 11:38 PM

I think that's what he meant...

I haven't played Dissidia, but Smash Bros. is far from being traditional. It's pretty awesome. I guess it could be considered a Nintendo version of those 'Marvel vs. Capcom' things, but I'm not a fan of arcade fighters...Smash Bros. is intense though.

Volcompat321
Mar 1, 2010, 11:40 PM
I love Dissidia!
That game isn't traditional at all, I don't think.
I do like me some Smash Bros, but I never did get into it as much as Dissidia, or even MvC.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 2, 2010, 12:49 AM
http://psxmedia.ign.com/psx/image/object/011/011439/601048boxart_160w.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/drivingemots_ps2box_usa_org_01boxart_160w.jpg
The most emo racing game ever.

Can't keep the emo out of a traditional game. Bet it has cutscenes. Where a racing kogal in your party dies...

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 01:15 AM
I don't MAKE games, I PLAY them

Then shut your trap and stop acting like you know a damn thing about how game companies work.

To me it seems some companies are just using their good name to sell crappy games.
I can mention a few, but I don't want to be criticized for saying things about games...

I'm sure you guys can figure out which games.

Sometimes you get swindled, sure, but sometimes it's just the case that maybe you weren't the target audience for the game.

It's absolutely true that publishers put out bad games. Sometimes they know it's a dud and other times they expect it to find an audience that maybe isn't there.

If we're talking about Sega, I think they could definitely fall into both of these categories. They recently published Alien vs. Predator, which didn't receive a very good critical reception but sold very well. On the other hand, MadWorld for Wii received excellent reviews but was a financial bomb.

But stuff like Bayonetta? Not my cup of tea, but the action fans have been raving over this as the second coming. I think Sega is quite happy they have their name on that game, as it's given them a lot of street cred (and a healthy chunk of sales, to boot.)

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/drivingemots_ps2box_usa_org_01boxart_160w.jpg
The most emo racing game ever.

Can't keep the emo out of a traditional game. Bet it has cutscenes. Where a racing kogal in your party dies...

I'd bet that it's basically a FFVII-esque rendition of Pixar's Cars.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 2, 2010, 01:28 AM
Ubisoft couldn't keep No More Heroes from being awesome. When everything else with Ubisoft on it is like, do not come within 100 ft.

SEGA dropped the ball on that one. If they picked up Grasshopper stuff...

As well this nerd rage over missing "maybe 5 hours of more gameplay" in Yakuza 3 is something else. But no sales of Yakuza 3 doesn't guarantee #4 comes over completely full featured and translated everything.

Can't quell their rage though. Sucks.

Delete
Mar 2, 2010, 02:43 AM
Well considering a rare item is supposed to be a rare item, I think it makes sense. Would you rather every player in psu having agito rerpca's ? This coming from someone (me) who has never found a repca btw. Without rares, games like these would be pointless.

Alnet
Mar 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
Actually, that reminds me. They did make a "traditional" Final Fantasy fighting game, Ehrgeiz. I have it. It is absolutely God-awful.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:GauM5RoEuJ421M:http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/scans2/ehrgeiz.jpg

Unless you're counting it as a completely different game, where Final Fantasy characters just make cameos to push the product shamelessly. If you want to reason that it's not a FF game because of that, I can understand.

Powder Keg
Mar 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
Actually, that reminds me. They did make a "traditional" Final Fantasy fighting game, Ehrgeiz. I have it. It is absolutely God-awful.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:GauM5RoEuJ421M:http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/scans2/ehrgeiz.jpg

Unless you're counting it as a completely different game, where Final Fantasy characters just make cameos to push the product shamelessly. If you want to reason that it's not a FF game because of that, I can understand.

When I went on my cruise trip a few years ago, the ship had an arcade room, which, of all games, had this one. There were a lot of other rare ones there as well, but there were much better things to do on the ship honestly. ^^;

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
Still, Ehrgeiz wasn't really a traditional 2D or 3D fighting game. From what I can remember, it was closer to something like Power Stone.

Kent
Mar 2, 2010, 04:14 PM
It was more like a Power Stone game - just with four guest appearances of Final Fantasy VII characters.

There's only a little more validity to calling it a "Final Fantasy game" than there is to calling Soul Calibur IV a "Star Wars game."

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 3, 2010, 12:25 AM
The Swat vest lady in Ehrgiez (terrible name for a game!) fights with a Yo-Yo, I think. What a world in the future where a Yo-Yo is the weapon of choice for Special police forces. Saves the world in Startropics, classic NES series though, must play that one.

Not that a Bridget Yo-Yo Priest(ess) is any better a character for a fighter.

Now that the riff raff died down.

I also saw a strange fighter in a run down arcade once, with Sonic throwing punches at his small range of buddies at the time(the good ol days) Miles Prower and Knux.

I also didn't give that a go. Got sucked back into the early 90's with some NBA Hangtime Boomshakalas - on fire, from downtown.

Outrider
Mar 3, 2010, 01:13 AM
That sounds like Sonic the Fighters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_The_Fighters

Alnet
Mar 3, 2010, 11:34 PM
You can play that on one of the many Sega games compilations they've released over the last few years (most of them on Gamecube). It's... pretty... argh.

Also, Dr. Robotnik/Eggman in his robot battlesuit finally gets to deck Sonic in the face - something he's been dreaming of since like 1991.

Red Ring
Mar 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
Just like to point out that I love rares so much I hate them.

That Sega racing game that recently came out was terrible.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 10, 2010, 07:02 PM
That Sega racing game that recently came out was terrible.
I downloaded the demo for the blox, and I raged so hard. The game is horrible, I was offended by it.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
Seems to be made by guys who had experience doing flawless racing good times with the Outrun arcade & console ported games. So no reason why there should be hiccups in the regular gameplay, framerate drops and such.

But even with Sailor schoolboy Ryo Hazuki, they gave him no Shenmue styled tracks, which is a shame.

Sega compilations released outside of Japan are also some sorta rare breed. PS Remakes for PS2, that kinda good stuff.