PDA

View Full Version : Earworms

Weeaboolits
Jan 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
They can be the most irritating things, creeping up and breaking your concentration at every opportunity, or simply driving you mad as that song stuck in your head that you can only remember one verse from, that annoying advertising jingle that lingers long after the product has been discontinued, or that song you just cannot stand, but keep finding yourself humming anyway.

It's maddening.

Outrider
Jan 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
Like, from that one Star Trek movie?

(Google search for "Star Trek ear worm" lead me to this: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ceti_eel )

Weeaboolits
Jan 28, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've never been a fan.

hyperacute
Jan 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Two words, Magical Trevor.

astuarlen
Jan 28, 2010, 01:32 PM
I feel your pain, Ronin; I tend to get the themes or motifs from TV shows stuck in my head if I've been indulging in marathonish watching lately (thanks, Project Runway).
The only cure may be to listen to the mashup musical stylings of DJ Earworm. So good. May also provoke earworms, however...

Outrider
Jan 28, 2010, 01:57 PM
I've never really heard of the term "ear worm." That's supposed to mean when you get something stuck in your head?

Mike
Jan 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's a bug. I think they're kind of like silverfish. I haven't seen any lately but when I do, they're usually around faucets or drain fixtures.

Powder Keg
Jan 28, 2010, 08:17 PM
Although they're called earworms, they're not known for actually going into people's ears. It's always been a myth of sorts.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 26, 2010, 03:55 AM
Although they're called earworms, they're not known for actually going into people's ears. It's always been a myth of sorts.
Late, but this forum is actually lacking in topics and this one is near to falling off the page, but a mystery to ask about:

So what's with that scratching that can occur when you're trying to sleep and something is going on in your ear canals that drives you crazy, a constant grating or something strange.

I can't be the only person to experience this, but it luckily has been quite a while since I last had this going on.

I clicked in here back then expecting something on the subject, not silverfish bathroom buggery!

NegaTsukasa
Apr 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
One of my more favorite posts. XD

I hate that, and its all just to highly contagious to anybody.