PDA

View Full Version : 42 HDMI

Lance813
Feb 5, 2010, 09:57 PM
Why the hell did I not buy one of these before?!?

Holy shit! My TV looks epic with MW2 on it right now.

Leviathan
Feb 5, 2010, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the club player. ;]

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 6, 2010, 01:12 AM
High Definition MEGAMAN In your FACE ?

Volcompat321
Feb 6, 2010, 02:47 AM
Bout time, dude.

It makes a huge difference in movies, and games.

Vanzazikon
Feb 6, 2010, 02:58 AM
I want one. ;~;

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 6, 2010, 03:02 AM
DEALER MARKUP

(There's a lot of price gouging with HDMI cables, buyer beware)

But because again no specific are mentioned anywhere in the topic...

HIGH DEFINITION: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE?!

Crazy CRUISE short action hero Part 4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlyQZkq2Ug

Motorcycle mode engaged. Self destruct in doot doot doot doo... nanana na nah

Lance813
Feb 6, 2010, 03:04 AM
I first noticed when I came home from college. I was used to playing on my friends 57 inch TV. I only had my little boob tube there. I came home plugged in the PS3 and literally WTF'ed.

I bought a 20 dollar cable. Best 20 bucks ever spent.

Volcompat321
Feb 6, 2010, 03:17 AM
My cable came with the Ps3!
I actually bought an HDTV JUST for the PS3.
Weird.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 6, 2010, 03:20 AM
My cable came with the Ps3!
I actually bought an HDTV JUST for the PS3.
Weird.
PS3 Mind control?

Next thing you know PS3 will make you buy more things to feed cables into the PS3.

Except PS3 for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, because its too weird?

Tetsaru
Feb 6, 2010, 09:24 AM
Man, hooking up your PS3 to an HDTV using an HDMI cable is like giving your video games steroids or something, lol... there's such a huge difference in picture quality. I just wish Nintendo would get a hint about it... along with all other forms of modern technology... >_>

Randomness
Feb 6, 2010, 01:26 PM
Man, hooking up your PS3 to an HDTV using an HDMI cable is like giving your video games steroids or something, lol... there's such a huge difference in picture quality. I just wish Nintendo would get a hint about it... along with all other forms of modern technology... >_>

*looks at Wiimote*

Um...

*looks at sales of Wii*

They must be something right.

Volcompat321
Feb 6, 2010, 01:47 PM
*looks at Wiimote*

Um...

*looks at sales of Wii*

They must be something right.

Yea, they had the cheapest console from the get-go, with more family oriented games, and ...duh, the exercise thing!

People who play games with the family generally don't care about the graphics.
Hardcore gamers want high-end graphics, and shit that looks real.

I know this mainly because my mom bought a Wii for the whole "family games" reason.
These people buy it, play it for a few weeks, then leave it alone for so many months, then when family comes around, pull it out and play.

Nintendo if anything, just has a bunch of smart mother fuckers.
Sony and Microsoft just have greedy fools.

Leviathan
Feb 6, 2010, 03:55 PM
LBP's Hispanic stage + HDMI = Mind blown.

Seriously colors. Omfgsh. So pretty!

TalHex
Feb 6, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hardcore gamers want high-end graphics, and shit that looks real.

'faux' hardcore gamers want that. Real hardcore gamers care about gameplay, story, character design, and anything else that sets it apart from normal games. Anybody can make a high resolution halo-clone.

Tetsaru
Feb 6, 2010, 04:21 PM
I just want Nintendo to have a console with a spacious hard drive that doesn't use the "blocks" system, HD support, a built-in ethernet port (none of this buy an adapter shit), and good networking that involves an ID system similar to 360's Gamertags or the PSN, and has NOTHING to do with fucking Friend Codes for EACH INDIVIDUAL GAME. Is that so much to ask? I just feel that Nintendo is gimping themselves otherwise by not utilizing this standard technology that's been around for a while now...

Lance813
Feb 6, 2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah really, Nintedo needs some HD lovin'.

I want a full 1080p Zelda somewhere in the near future...

Leviathan
Feb 7, 2010, 01:02 AM
'faux' hardcore gamers want that. Real hardcore gamers care about gameplay, story, character design, and anything else that sets it apart from normal games. Anybody can make a high resolution halo-clone.

Megaman 10 is pretty popular without having mind-blowing graphics.

Graphics are good, but it's not the only thing.

Outrider
Feb 7, 2010, 03:29 AM
Yeah - even $20 for an HDMI cable is a bit much, unless it was particularly long.

They are literally dirt cheap and there's really very little variation on a digital signal.

Zeek123
Feb 7, 2010, 08:05 PM
When Nintendo was developing the Wii, they looked at the average amount of HDTVs in households, and decided that there weren't enough to warrant an HDMI port.

That said, games can look great on the Wii. I don't think anyone can call Mario Galaxy ugly. But a game like Metroid Prime 3 could've looked absolutely fantastic.

I just want Nintendo to have a console with a spacious hard drive that doesn't use the "blocks" system, HD support, a built-in ethernet port (none of this buy an adapter shit), and good networking that involves an ID system similar to 360's Gamertags or the PSN, and has NOTHING to do with fucking Friend Codes for EACH INDIVIDUAL GAME. Is that so much to ask? I just feel that Nintendo is gimping themselves otherwise by not utilizing this standard technology that's been around for a while now...

I've been hearing that Nintendo is planning to patch the Wii's firmware to make it so each game can use the system's FC, instead of every game needing one for itself. Not that there are many games online anyway...

But I completely agree about wanting an account like PSN or XBLA. I'd feel much more confident in my purchases if I knew I could log into a PC, look at what I bought and know that if they release another console down the line, I'll be able to re-download my WiiWare or more importantly Virtual Console games to the Wii's successor. I'm not sure how or if Nintendo is going to take care of us in this respect.

And you can say "just keep your Wii fool!" but consoles don't live forever, and eventually there'll be no one to send my Wii to fix my disc drive or whatever could happen.

Now hold on. That's not true at all. You're part of the problem. Don't settle for half-assed visuals.

The game's art style is part of what makes it individual. You seem to think that anyone who wants HD content must be a "'leetist", but that's really shallow. What's wrong with wanting to have mind-blowing awshume grfx?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 8, 2010, 08:39 PM
By using Flash Memory, they saved and profited so much with surely less than half the hassles of repairs from moving parts. Genius - cheapskate (flash memory gets cheaper and cheaper) move.

You think being the same as the others would have made them more money and you would be wrong.

You want Nintendo to do the same thing as other companies, you don't seem to be paying attention to what Nintendo has always been doing.

Tetsaru
Feb 8, 2010, 09:17 PM
By using Flash Memory, they saved and profited so much with surely less than half the hassles of repairs from moving parts. Genius - cheapskate (flash memory gets cheaper and cheaper) move.

You think being the same as the others would have made them more money and you would be wrong.

You want Nintendo to do the same thing as other companies, you don't seem to be paying attention to what Nintendo has always been doing.

I don't mind Nintendo being different and innovative - I mean look at how the thumb-accessable analog stick and Rumble Pack evolved. I just don't like seeing them being "held back" when it comes to technology that the rest of the world is used to. Nintendo didn't start using full-sized disc media for their games until the Wii came out, yet Sega and Sony were already way ahead of them with their Playstation and Sega CD. Even Sega was ahead of its time when it started experimenting with online gaming - a staple nowadays - and yet Nintendo thought it wouldn't catch on. They also didn't think HD would catch on, and now look at it - old CRT TV's are being phased out. And hell - even hard drives are going into the terabyte range; gigabytes are basically a standard form of data measurement now for video media, yet the Wii barely has such space (also keep in mind that the N64 DD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N64_DD) didn't make it out of Japan, unfortunately). Granted, the PS3 uses blu-ray discs, but I'm starting to run out of room for data on my 80 GB PS3... how do you think people with a bunch of Wii games feel? I ran out of space after about 3 games, on top of all the channels and virtual console titles I downloaded. Portable flash memory isn't the answer, imo, especially seeing how most SD cards and USB drives only hold a few GB's at most. Of course, that could change, but I think I'd rather invest in a portable hard drive if I'm going to store large amounts of data. Gaming consoles are getting more and more computer-like lately, anyway... I guess Nintendo hasn't realized yet that today's and the near future's generations of gamers will grow up with HDTV's and will have a pretty good knowledge of how computers and the Internet work, so I just think it's unwise for them to not be embracing what has been a general technological standard for a while now.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 8, 2010, 09:26 PM
I don't mind Nintendo being different and innovative - I mean look at how the thumb-accessable analog stick and Rumble Pack evolved. I just don't like seeing them being "held back" when it comes to technology that the rest of the world is used to.

Nintendo didn't start using full-sized disc media for their games until the Wii came out, yet Sega and Sony were already way ahead of them with their Playstation and Sega CD. Even Sega was ahead of its time when it started experimenting with online gaming - a staple nowadays - and yet Nintendo thought it wouldn't catch on.

They also didn't think HD would catch on, and now look at it - old CRT TV's are being phased out. And hell - even hard drives are going into the terabyte range; gigabytes are basically a standard form of data measurement now for video media, yet the Wii barely has such space (also keep in mind that the N64 DD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N64_DD) didn't make it out of Japan, unfortunately).

Granted, the PS3 uses blu-ray discs, but I'm starting to run out of room for data on my 80 GB PS3... how do you think people with a bunch of Wii games feel? I ran out of space after about 3 games, on top of all the channels and virtual console titles I downloaded. Portable flash memory isn't the answer, imo, especially seeing how most SD cards and USB drives only hold a few GB's at most.

Of course, that could change, but I think I'd rather invest in a portable hard drive if I'm going to store large amounts of data. Gaming consoles are getting more and more computer-like lately, anyway... I guess Nintendo hasn't realized yet that today's and the future's generations of gamers will grow up with HDTV's and will have a pretty good knowledge of how computers and the Internet work, so I just think it's unwise for them to not be embracing what has been a general technological standard for a while now.
reader - mode

Partnership with some major HDD brand will change their minds, but of course it just takes so long to get that going with their suits. Crazier to think in Japan everything is online seamless and mixi cell phone linked up networks.

Better model is yes, allowing upgradeable space/media for what's allowed. Wii is only a one size fits all/most model, and since most don't complain or ask for more, Nintendo won't offer until next time. They're already "printing money."

Zeek123
Feb 9, 2010, 01:31 AM
Nintendo didn't start using full-sized disc media for their games until the Wii came out, yet Sega and Sony were already way ahead of them with their Playstation and Sega CD.

Not to take Nintendo's side here, because really, I agree with most everything you say what Nintendo should do for us as faithful gamers, but Nintendo's reasoning behind going with the smaller discs for the GCN was because they wanted it to be a seamless experience going from N64 to GCN. Meaning no load times.

Being favorable to Playstation (now) I can't really argue that most multi-platform games between the N64 and PSX, the 64's version was almost always considered the definitive version. I believe the same goes for PS2 and GCN. The GCN was reported to actually be the more powerful system, but had little space on those discs, so big games often looked better on the PS2. And were only on one disc.

I remember when I first got a PS2, I popped in a game and hit a loading screen and went "what the hell is this?" I hated them. Still hate them actually.

Now I'm saying as a consumer, not a gamer, I want Nintendo to wake up to the wonderful world of online networking and give me a gamer ID of some kind, basic HD ports even if they refuse to pay for the rights to play DVDs of all things, and to do away with SD cards as a form of increasing the amount of data you can hold. They're slow, and they're stupid, and they belong in my camera dammit.

I know it'll never happen now, unless that cloud based gaming thing really catches on, but I wish that Nintendo would ditch the console scene, and dedicate themselves solely to handheld gaming.

Lance813
Feb 9, 2010, 01:51 AM
...and they belong in my camera dammit.

I smiled so hard. :wacko:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 9, 2010, 04:37 AM
That's actually something you're likely to point out no matter what it was, or are just finding fault with nothing significant.
HDD want okay, but not need.

It was also a money saving move and something good for consumers who already probably own a few SD cards. No development of memory cards that will only work on one Nintendo system - or get added support for the next, maybe. Something that you don't have to buy also to start playing out the box. Unlucky kids getting Xbox Arcade/no HDD basic model and being told by the games they start up they have to continue without saving or can't download anything from this marketplace at all.

Zeek123
Feb 9, 2010, 05:25 AM
That's actually something you're likely to point out no matter what it was, or are just finding fault with nothing significant.
HDD want okay, but not need.

It was also a money saving move and something good for consumers who already probably own a few SD cards. No development of memory cards that will only work on one Nintendo system - or get added support for the next, maybe. Something that you don't have to buy also to start playing out the box. Unlucky kids getting Xbox Arcade/no HDD basic model and being told by the games they start up they have to continue without saving or can't download anything from this marketplace at all.

Oh yeah, I agree. 360 really duped people there. Hidden costs and what not.

The SD slot is fine. If the Wii were more open to things like Photobucket, it'd be even better. Uploading photos to the web and everything. But relying on that slow format to play games on? I hate it. Why not just put even a gig of memory into the Wii, or whatever console comes out next? Now I realize that with the SD update, all it really does is allow you to temporarily copy a WiiWare or VC game to the Wii and it plays like that, but even that's annoying. My Wii Menu is naked and exposed.

I think we could've suffered the extra size. I really don't understand why they were so anal on the two DVD case format.

Outrider
Feb 9, 2010, 11:24 AM
Less memory (along with many other factors) meant lower price.

Lower price meant that Nintendo not only had a product that was within the "impulse buy" range, but they were also making money on every system sold.

This gave them a leg up on both number of consoles sold as well as giving them a huge flow of steady cash.

It's the old Nintendo philosophy of "good enough." They've been using since the 80s. Read about it: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8985103&publicUserId=5379721

There are many reasons Nintendo has been profitable for such a long time, and many of them have to do with knowing which trends/new technologies to be conservative with and which ones to take risks on.

As for the HDTV stuff - keep in mind that only recently did HDTV ownership cross the 50% threshold in the US (I have an article here from August that claims as much: http://www.tmcnet.com/voip/ip-communications/articles/61391-hdtv-now-53-percent-us-homes.htm).

What that doesn't tell us is how many of all total active TVs in the US are HDTVs. I'd wager that a lot of the younger crowd who have bought Wiis (anywhere from 12-18 ), don't have an HDTV of their own, even though they may have one in their household. Still, that's only my guess.

If I had to make another guess, I would say that the Wii probably won a lot of points from the casual mainstream gamer - who at the time of the Wii's launch most likely did not have an HDTV - as they didn't have to worry about upgrading their current TV setup for the "optimal" experience.

I wouldn't argue against the Wii having better graphics or higher resolutions, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo won over more customers with the lower price point and the lower barrier of entry than they would have gotten from the "hardcore" users who refused to buy the system due to it's lack of HD content.