PDA

View Full Version : The Future of PSU and the PS Series

Para
Feb 25, 2010, 06:40 PM
According to the latest post from http://bumped.org/psublog/ and http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2010/02/100225b.html

Shougai PSO posted a minor minor update about the next game in the Phantasy Star Series. In a recent Dengeki article, Sakai comments, “Phantasy Star Portable 2 can be seen as a compilation of the Phantasy Star Universe Series. Therefor, I think that next [game] will be a new “leap” for the series. As for [making] the Phantasy Star Series, “challenging” is one of the concepts. So there’s an opinion that we should just make a console version of PSP2, however, I think that this [new] thing should be something more different from that. I want to not only draw in new players, but also deliver a game that older fans can approve of.”

Shougai PSO speculates that a brand new game for the Phantasy Star Series is in development. They speculate the new game will not be the “Gurhal” series of PSP2, since he stated it will be “different thing” but may draw upon the flow of PSO’s “Ragol Series”, since he stated it would be a game the older fans approve of.

I would say from all of this, this next game will be completely new, just as PSZero was, but may follow some older traditions that we’ve come to love throughout our years of playing Phantasy Star.

Perhaps this comment paves way to PSO2? Or even maybe PSZ2? An updated PSU with PSO gameplay mechanics with PSU custom character features?

Gunslinger-08
Feb 25, 2010, 06:45 PM
Perhaps this comment paves way to PSO2? Or even maybe PSZ2? An updated PSU with PSO gameplay mechanics with PSU custom character features?

The sheer potential of amazingness this suggests brings a tear to my eye. I just hope that it doesn't get the same treatment PSU got. No good game can take that kind of abuse.

PepperCat
Feb 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
The sheer potential of amazingness this suggests brings a tear to my eye. I just hope that it doesn't get the same treatment PSU got. No game should take that kind of abuse.

Fixed and bolded for truth.

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Perhaps something completely new, I hope. :>

unicorn
Feb 25, 2010, 11:45 PM
PSPo3 XD

Somnia
Feb 26, 2010, 04:24 PM
Please not PSZ2 unless it's a console version.

Volcompat321
Feb 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm thinking a PSU/2 game would be good.
A free to play online with a cash shop is ideal. (Or just no cash shop).
Content UNLOCKED from the beginning.

PS:P2 play style (but fixed because you have more buttons).

I honestly wouldn't hate the idea of a game identical to PSU, but with weps and items from PS:P2 and PSZ.
The dodge roll could be a good thing.

I just want this next game to be a free to play online game.
I'll be happy with just that.

Para
Feb 26, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking a PSU/2 game would be good.
A free to play online with a cash shop is ideal. (Or just no cash shop).
Content UNLOCKED from the beginning.

PS:P2 play style (but fixed because you have more buttons).

I honestly wouldn't hate the idea of a game identical to PSU, but with weps and items from PS:P2 and PSZ.
The dodge roll could be a good thing.

I just want this next game to be a free to play online game.
I'll be happy with just that.

I think they need the playstyle from PSZ where its like PSU and PSO meet together (I cannot offer an opinion on PSP2 cause I haven't played it yet but it sounded like its like PSU and PSO together except using a bit more PSU mechanics.)

Either way hopefully PSU's failure has given SEGA a good hard lesson on what to do to succeed with the next game in its iteration. Having Sakai mention that it seems the fans prefer PSO style more gives PSO fans hope.

Keilyn
Feb 26, 2010, 05:59 PM
Anything good released by Sega will equally be ruined by them through localized versions....However its nice to play when they are good. I learned to only play Japanese versions and skipped localized versions.

But I am hoping the series to continue to get better and offer new innovation.

redroses
Feb 26, 2010, 06:36 PM
For me the most important thing is that the new PS game doesn't lose the customization options PSU/PSP2 have.
PSZ limits that very much again, in looks and in class selection. I love how one can change classes anytime they want in PSU and in PSP2 even select weapon types they want for their class, this system is great!

I think going back to PSO is a really bad idea. PSU is a very good game, but could need many new ideas. PSP2 adds quite many new ideas which I really like, examples being charged shots, the three cast technic combo, shielding, dodge roll etc.
I also like how the Clad area is build in PSP2, it has everything one needs in one area, no need to run around tousand areas just to go where you want. The lobbys in PSU are often very beautiful, but so many aren't needed. The the three main lobbies of each planet would've been enough in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope they come up with something really new and cool for the next PS game, a more advanced version of PSP2 with many more new ideas and the classes all more balananced is what I would like.

Ezodagrom
Feb 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
Anything good released by Sega will equally be ruined by them through localized versions....However its nice to play when they are good. I learned to only play Japanese versions and skipped localized versions.

But I am hoping the series to continue to get better and offer new innovation.
PSU localized version was worse than the Japanese version, but that doesn't mean the JP version was good. Both were ruined by SEGA, but one was more ruined than the other. :3

I also like how the Clad area is build in PSP2, it has everything one needs in one area, no need to run around tousand areas just to go where you want.
About this, I think I would like a mix of both. Allow all missions being accessible by one lobby, but also having different lobbies available (just so players can avoid the spam areas, or having different places for community events and such).

Dragwind
Feb 26, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm hoping it's something brand new, but keeping the improvements of PSU and bringing new ones instead of going backwards like PSZ did. I really hope it's nothing like a PSZ2.

Keilyn
Feb 26, 2010, 10:19 PM
Amai.

I agree with you because in every instance a full return has been made to something original, the game has lost more appeal than it has gained....However, I believe we need something completely new or something that allows class-based play to be a lot faster..

PSO at least had that correct.

In order for a player to be able to "START" playing in a class they first have to make it reach 20, then grind weapons decently and then GAS those types up....It means a lot of grinding exists just so a player to start playing out of the box that isn't just exp levels. Lets not forget PA levels as well.

PSO allowed a player to get started in five minutes. They set up a character, pick a package that had outlined its strengths and weaknesses and you could just play the game without having to wonder and think about so many aspects. That part it got correct......You should not have to spend 300 - 1000 hours just to be able to set up to play the game

Customization is nice, but Overcustomization just plain sucks...

Finally, allow a player to take his or her friends through the story together, and not just one player in an online version of singleplayer. Even PSO allowed a group of four to play through it from beginning to end together.

Para
Feb 27, 2010, 02:32 AM
Things I would like to see from each series:

From PSO:
More unique monsters
Variable terrain where its not all even levelled
More unique weapons
Similar combat palette like weak strong attacks
Shortcut keys specifically like from PSO:BB
A chatting system that isn't gimped (much like PSO:BB)

From PSU:
Room system (who did not liked having their own room?)
Lobby system (because it made the game much more fun to explore and expansive like the hot Springs of Neudaiz or frozen mountains of Moatoob and waterfalls of Parum.
Character system (not limited 1 class, very customizable, physical looks and clothing etc and style theme)

PSP2 seems to be an evolution of PSU with many changes to the gameplay. I think Sakai intends to bring it up another notch by changing the palette to PSO/PSZ's style and how missions are laid out to like PSO's as well.

PSZ had improvements on the PSO system just to note for those who neglected to mention. Dodge roll, charged attacks to unleash PAs were from PSZ and just got carried over to PSP2 because they were good ideas.

Dragwind
Feb 27, 2010, 11:47 AM
I just made a rash generalization, but I highly agree with Para's points.

SuKKrl
Feb 27, 2010, 02:01 PM

From PSO:

From PSU:
Lobby system (because it made the game much more fun to explore and expansive like the hot Springs of Neudaiz or frozen mountains of Moatoob and waterfalls of Parum.

I agree with most of the things listed here except those two. I really found the new action pallette to be much better than PSO's. With it you have more options availiable. The strong/weak attack thing had a problem that was wasting one more button. I would rather see it employed, for example as a secondary bullet type (for example, one shoots the bullet type you equipped on the slot 1 on the rifle and the other shoots the bullet on slot 2)

Lobby system would be nice with a global party search. As long as the party leader has a option to make the party invisible I can't see the idea getting too much complaints.

Ezodagrom
Feb 27, 2010, 05:36 PM

From PSO:
More unique monsters
More unique weapons

From PSU:
Character system (not limited 1 class, very customizable, physical looks and clothing etc and style theme)

PSP2 seems to be an evolution of PSU with many changes to the gameplay. I think Sakai intends to bring it up another notch by changing the palette to PSO/PSZ's style and how missions are laid out to like PSO's as well.

PSZ had improvements on the PSO system just to note for those who neglected to mention. Dodge roll, charged attacks to unleash PAs were from PSZ and just got carried over to PSP2 because they were good ideas.
Completely agree with almost everything.
About the chat system,was it gimped in psu? Other than word wrap, the PSU chat system was better than pso, I think (alot easier to check the chat log on psu, for example).
About the combat system, I hope it's not like PSO/PSZ, not like PSU/PSP2, but something new, an evolution from both PSZ and PSP2.

Legendwolf
Feb 27, 2010, 06:17 PM

From PSO:
More unique monsters
More unique weapons

From PSU:

I APROVE ^^

Zeek123
Feb 27, 2010, 06:38 PM
In order for a player to be able to "START" playing in a class they first have to make it reach 20, then grind weapons decently and then GAS those types up....It means a lot of grinding exists just so a player to start playing out of the box that isn't just exp levels. Lets not forget PA levels as well.

I disagree... I liked getting the basic types in PSU and incrementally moving up to a certain point where I could use more weapons and higher level PAs. It felt more like I "earned" the right to play that style. Plus it's more stuff to level and spend time on, for when I cap other things.

Leveling my class and PAs was fun to me. Well, PAs got a little tedious. But it was nice to just have some bragging rights that weren't just "LOOK AT MY BIG UBAR WPNZ!!!1!!!"

Finally, allow a player to take his or her friends through the story together, and not just one player in an online version of singleplayer. Even PSO allowed a group of four to play through it from beginning to end together.

But a full co-op experience like that'd be sweet.

Dj_SkyEpic
Feb 27, 2010, 08:38 PM
What I would really like to see in the new Phantasy Star game is a more explored MMO experience. Some things I would really like to see are:

1. Jumping integrated with the combo system. I'd love to be able to jump around in the game especially being able to attack with it. Saw it in the early trailers but they were just part of the animations instead.

2. More open worlds.When I first saw PSU, I thought that the worlds were opened where we would be able to greet players on the battlefield as we pass along to other towns. Though I was disappointed in the end, I hope to see it in the next installment.

3.More MOBs. The amount of creatures on the battlefield should be upped more than the average 6 per spawn.

4. Bigger Parties! Advancing from 4 to 6 still felt small to me, so I hope to see bigger things happening in this game than just small battles.

Hope that they really make the game bigger as the series evolves for the next installment, basically.

PepperCat
Feb 27, 2010, 08:40 PM
Combat:

The only thing I'd like to see in the next PS game is just a minor tweek to the palette system.

I've always thought it would be better to be able to link more than 1 PA to a Melee or Ranged two handed weapon.

Rods are able to have 4 PAs linked to them, with using the same method as switching from one set of techs to the other, it'd be great if we could have multiple PAs linked to weapons.

Mobs:

Like other people have been saying, not just more mobs, BUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOB TYPES. Sega is terrible at just reskinning and making the enemies only slightly different. Even BB had more mob types than PSU does.

Bosses:

More epic, enough said.

MISSIONS:

Actual storyline would be great, PSZ had a much better mission system and it made me feel as though my character was actually part of the story. PSU failed at this terribly.

Graphics/Visuals:

I like the current style, it just needs to be reworked for next-gen consoles/PCs.

---

That is all.

Pep.

Kion
Feb 28, 2010, 11:08 AM
I think a lot of people over estimate PSO. I went back and played BB for a while, but it feels liek going backwards. The great part about PSO was atmosphere, the game really felt like you were there. I hope they can make really good game experience while building on what they`ve advanced on with PSU. What I would like to see is a "metroid prime", that kind of dungeon crawling lonely feeling was pretty amazing. Getting some effects with snow, ice, rain, water, lava, fighting enemies in those elements and having to fight enemies through that made a good game. PSU could benefit from that style.

Also it would be nice if the story wasn`t shoved down you`re throat. Especially not, "you`re a rookie getting dragged along for the ride by the key players in the story line, and the choices you make have no effect on anything". Something subtle where you only get bit`s an pieces and then have to build the larger picture as a community would be much more involving.

For classes, something like the PSP2 class system would be awesome. Choosing from ranger, hunter, force, or mixed and then being able to upgrade based on class points. It would give players a chance to be customize to their own play style. Also I really like the fact that PSU let`s you choose your job. Being constricted to one job and one set of clothing as soon as you start the game really blows. I like that PSU let you build a character and experiment until you found what was right for you.

pinkace
Feb 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
I don't understand why everyone keeps bringing up PSO's gameplay as if it was better than PSU's. It's not. From the lock-on to the photon arts to the first person view to the counters to the strafing to the criticals, PSU has much better combat.

if you want to fight just as you did in PSO, you can too.

Middle
Feb 28, 2010, 01:07 PM
I just do play PSZ when I'm on my way to work and back...
and @ home I returned to my NGC Verion of PSO...
just nice Games ...
I'm pretty curious about the next Phantasy Star Game...

I don't tell you what I want to see, because most of you wouldn't agree :-P

Thunderflash
Feb 28, 2010, 01:31 PM
Before it was released i was really looking forward to PSU but than ... :rant: ...
What i loved about PSO was, that is was simple at the first look but had much to explore if you where getting more advanced.

I would really love to see is a PSO-/PSZ-like PSO as a console version. Even if PSU is a good game... i don't like it, sorry. All I want is to jump in the lobby, open a game slay some monsters and feed my mag. I don't need this big city, the complicated and frustration weapon upgrading, etc. ...

Anyway... 4-player offline PSO v2 GC Session today... yes we still loving it :D

Greetings from Germany
p.s. sorry for my bad english ^^;

DuRaL
Feb 28, 2010, 02:15 PM
I don't understand why everyone keeps bringing up PSO's gameplay as if it was better than PSU's. It's not. From the lock-on to the photon arts to the first person view to the counters to the strafing to the criticals, PSU has much better combat.

if you want to fight just as you did in PSO, you can too.

you could play PSO without getting hit, because you could cancel or evade ALL enemy attacks with the right strategy, if you had skill (-> challenge mode), try that on PSU >_>

and although PSU is more hack'n slay, it actually feels like you do less, since you only push the same button (i.e. PA-button) all the time..

furthermore, rangers don't even have combos, so they're really boring to play now (imo)

and forces have to change their weapons all the time, which sucks, but it sucks even more for mix-classes like wartecher >_>
i really loves classes like FOmar or HUnewearl on PSO, but you can't really play like that on PSU =/

of course PSU had a lot of improvements in gameplay mechanics, but in my opinion it can't reach PSO. never..

Touka
Feb 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
you could play PSO without getting hit, because you could cancel or evade ALL enemy attacks with the right strategy, if you had skill (-> challenge mode), try that on PSU >_>

and although PSU is more hack'n slay, it actually feels like you do less, since you only push the same button (i.e. PA-button) all the time..

furthermore, rangers don't even have combos, so they're really boring to play now (imo)

and forces have to change their weapons all the time, which sucks, but it sucks even more for mix-classes like wartecher >_>
i really loves classes like FOmar or HUnewearl on PSO, but you can't really play like that on PSU =/

of course PSU had a lot of improvements in gameplay mechanics, but in my opinion it can't reach PSO. never..

Phantasy Star Portable 2 would like to have a word with you.It fixes almost all those problems execpt for FO's.

Neith
Feb 28, 2010, 03:26 PM

See PSP:2 and 'blocking'.

So because you don't press a button 3 times, it's boring? PSO's battle system is old, and extremely out of date now. Firing off 3 shots before having to wait for the pose to reset and fire another 3 shots sucks now, and it always sucked in PSO. Again, I direct your attention to PSP:2, which has different types of shot and no crappy 3-shot chains.

Do I really have to mention PSP:2 again?

Honestly, it sounds like all you want is a copy-paste remake of PSO. PSO was 10 years ago, and while PSU was a bit of a disaster, PSP2 is far, far superior. Even if you have the excuse of 'I can't read Japanese', katakana will take a week to learn at the most, and that's really all you need to recognise item names and so on.

Disclaimer: I loved PSO, and played it for years. Even I realise it's time for change and hopefully get away from anything PSO related. What we need is a completely new Phantasy Star, not one that turns to PSO for everything.

Mysterious-G
Feb 28, 2010, 03:29 PM
What we need is a Phantasy Star where not every girl is a loli or a pantsu show-off.
This made PSU seem much more generic and sexist than it's predecessor to me (which was not sexist AT ALL).

Touka
Feb 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
What we need is a Phantasy Star where not every girl is a loli or a pantsu show-off.
This made PSU seem much more generic and sexist than it's predecessor to me (which was not sexist AT ALL).

The game is made in japan and what do japanese like?Yeah you guessed it.

Mysterious-G
Feb 28, 2010, 03:41 PM
The game is made in japan and what do japanese like?Yeah you guessed it.

Serious-themed rpgs...?

DuRaL
Feb 28, 2010, 03:43 PM
Honestly, it sounds like all you want is a copy-paste remake of PSO. PSO was 10 years ago, and while PSU was a bit of a disaster, PSP2 is far, far superior. Even if you have the excuse of 'I can't read Japanese', katakana will take a week to learn at the most, and that's really all you need to recognise item names and so on.
i NEVER said i wanted a remake of PSO, i just pointed out why i prefer PSO's gameplay over PSU's!
in fact, i hope they make something new, and not just copy-paste monsters/areas/weapons from PSO in their new game, like they did in PSP2 ;P

also, PSP2 would probably be the perfect game for me if it was for a REAL console, but no thank you to another handheld Phantasy Star..
you don't even have a real keyboard to chat => fail

Touka
Feb 28, 2010, 03:44 PM
Serious and jrpg don't belong in the same sentence >_>

Anyway before we get too off topic here i'd like to see a new PS game which isn't a grind fest.And if it's on pc PLEASE port it properly,that's one thing that hurt PSU badly.

Koiwai_Keiji
Feb 28, 2010, 03:46 PM
See PSP:2 and 'blocking'.

So because you don't press a button 3 times, it's boring? PSO's battle system is old, and extremely out of date now. Firing off 3 shots before having to wait for the pose to reset and fire another 3 shots sucks now, and it always sucked in PSO. Again, I direct your attention to PSP:2, which has different types of shot and no crappy 3-shot chains.

Do I really have to mention PSP:2 again?

Disclaimer: I loved PSO, and played it for years. Even I realise it's time for change and hopefully get away from anything PSO related. What we need is a completely new Phantasy Star, not one that turns to PSO for everything.

Yes, psp2 has taken the unique weaponry (one even unseals after 2k enemies killed like the sealed j) and awesome c-mode of PSO. It merges the battle system of PSU, the dodge roll of zero, with a Monster Hunter stamina bar mechanic.

The only thing missing now is the more abstract uniqueness of PSO. The sub plots where certain decisions affect what other missions you can take or what npcs will show up in the future are great (i.e. sue/kireek sub plot). It would be nice if the player character were given a less static role, in PSU the player was a Guardians no matter what, so the interest was purely in keeping with that group's mission statement. In PSO, the pc was more of a mercenary, that happened to save the galaxy as one of the four heroes. The player could pick up odd job missions, and even choose to withold retrieved data from groups that were 'suspicious.'

In pspo2, little wing is a mercenary type group, but the story is still rigid, but is less side-kick heavy like PSU's "You think so too, right (Player Name)!" and "(Player Name) and I will stop you!"

And no more villains with fire in the background for the introduction scene, please, this cliche has to die.

Touka
Feb 28, 2010, 04:09 PM
i NEVER said i wanted a remake of PSO, i just pointed out why i prefer PSO's gameplay over PSU's!
in fact, i hope they make something new, and not just copy-paste monsters/areas/weapons from PSO in their new game, like they did in PSP2 ;P

To each his own but the reason there's PSO monsters in PSP 2 is because Sakai is the producer and he was a part of the PSO team.Also almost all of them attack differently in PSP 2(Astark is a good example of this).

also, PSP2 would probably be the perfect game for me if it was for a REAL console, but no thank you to another handheld Phantasy Star..
you don't even have a real keyboard to chat => fail

It'd be great if it were ported to a console or pc but it's still a great game imo.And the kb prob is resolved by using a IM client.

Allison_W
Feb 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
I've been saying for a while that I think it'll be a new entry in the PSO series or, possibly, a console PSZ2.

I do hope it brings back all the things that worked in the previous PSO and PSU games--PSO's Challenge mode and side missions, PSU's extraordinary cosmetic customization and combat system updates, PSP2's class customization and defensive systems.

I'll be sad if they take a step backwards in any of these things, and I do hope it's for the PC and 360, not just the PS3.

Keilyn
Feb 28, 2010, 09:47 PM
I do hope it is a new game...people agree that PSP2 is good...

They forget that psp2 already exists and we are talking about the future of Phantasy Star, not the present. I consider the releasing of PSP2 as a handheld when it is just as easy to port it to any platform out there....to be a betrayal to the customers who spent tons on PC/PS2 PSU, Xbox360 and PSUJP as well as all the GC people bought as well...

I would like to see the next generation game released on PC. No more Console-Based Phantasy Star multiplayer games when a pure PC game allows for more content and less censorship than console-based games.

Hatrix
Feb 28, 2010, 10:22 PM
He said in a interview he would like to have a "New Console" PS game in time for the anniversary. That would not only bring attention to new players but would be approved by the old fanbase. PSO was our fist online console rpg, I'd like to continue playing it on a console but I don't really care for any next gen systems, so PC is a must. I can see what you mean by feeling betrayed Keilyn but PSPo was so huge in Japan they pretty much had to make the sequel for it.

Chuck_Norris
Feb 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
Personally, I think they should drop the PC. They need to learn how to code a console game.

Cracka_J
Feb 28, 2010, 10:47 PM

That's gonna happen in any game where there's customization. I wouldn't put a limit on character customization just so some pedo's don't get their way. The character customization in appearance, clothing, voices, etc. were probably some of my favorite aspects in psu. I don't think I would have traded that experience just to cut down the loli population, no matter how much I wanted to.

I typed out a lot more about what I really wanted in a future product, but it included a lot of pointless bitching about sega so I'ma just cut to the chase. If I ever got into another PS game, the bottom line of what I'd want would be:

- Next Gen only. Developed for PC, port to other systems.
- Secure (insert lol here) online gameplay.
- A competent (insert 2x lol here) GM staff.
- A competent (see above) company maintaining/updating the game.
- A QA testing staff dedicated to, well, QA...before releasing content updates.
- A universal lobby system (ala pso) to access any game lobby from one universal location.
- And last but not least, a fun game.

If those are met, despite everything that happened with PSU, I think I could still let it slide that I bought another sega product.

Tenchi-Misaki
Mar 1, 2010, 12:51 AM
It would be nice to keep nanoblasts and SUVs and it would be really nice to add a special skill to Newmans and Humans. Dont know if they will decide on having a guardians license set up like PSU, i mean paying 10 bucks a month plus xbox live gold membership, you're looking at about 20 dollars. The next game should be free to gold members

unicorn
Mar 1, 2010, 01:37 AM
It would be nice to keep nanoblasts and SUVs and it would be really nice to add a special skill to Newmans and Humans. Dont know if they will decide on having a guardians license set up like PSU, i mean paying 10 bucks a month plus xbox live gold membership, you're looking at about 20 dollars. The next game should be free to gold members

PSPo2 has special abilities for Newmans and Humans, so I don't think they'd take a step back and take them away. PSPo2 does a great job balancing races from what I hear (well better than previous installments. Job balance is a different story, FOs suck still).

And you never needed to have a gold account to play PSU on Xbox 360. You can play it with just the free Silver membership. Having a gold membership is completely your choice and does not give you any edge in PSU.

Personally, I think they should drop the PC. They need to learn how to code a console game.

I agree. I think the PS series belongs on consoles, its not a PC game. I actually think PSO BB would have been better on a console. In fact, PSO on Gamecube I think looked better than PSOBB. I play PSU on PC, but it just doesn't feel the same.

- 360/PS3. Some people will debate that this generation of consoles is dying, but I disagree. Theres numerous articles stating that this gen of consoles is going to last a little longer than previous ones, only because the 360/PS3/Wii are so much more advanced than previous gens.
- Monthly payment or Cash shop. NOT BOTH.
- Follow a story linear to the classic Phantasy Star games. Would be nice to see Motavians and Dezolisians again...
- Balance Jobs. It amazes me that after all these years, Forces/techers still kinda suck.

- I dont like the idea that everything is...well...a "mission", it barely works for PSU and I don't think it should be expanded on. In fact, I would prefer if the next PS game took a couple steps back and learned from PSO. I liked that the stages didn't feel like missions. Granted, I'd also prefer if they brought in some sort of exploration into the game.

I love that PSU has lobbies, but it has soo many empty and redundant lobbies, that you can't find anyone! If anything, the game would probably benefit from having less lobbies. The lobbies in PSU serve no purpose except to look pretty and re-stock. It would be nice if the lobbies had some sort of exclusiveness to them, perhaps different clothing shops, furistic towns/cities, etc, games. The casino is a good example of this.

- Missions from NPC CLIENTS. Not as the general gameplay.
- Keep customization! However, I wish the class system had some sort of permanency. I feel that switching jobs is sooo easy. I feel that switching jobs is too easy in PSU that you can play multiple jobs without really losing anything. I think everytime you switch a job, you should lose perhaps 5 job levels off the type you're switching out of. Or something along those lines.
- No weapon synthesis.
- Bring back Photon Art leveling system. I didnt like having to search for techs in PSO, and I know I won't enjoy it in PSPo2. Leveling skills shows some sort of commitment and attachment to your character. Having to find skills makes your character's efficiency solely based on luck.
- Amp up the difficulty. 3 scapes. Death penalty. NPC death penalty (keep them alive too! hurr hurr). Time limits. etc.
- Vehicles / Transportation
- My Room features = My Home!!! Hurr hurrr.

Theres probably other stuff, but thats what came to mind haha. I really don't have problems with the gameplay except that Forces/Techers shouldn't have to equip weapons to cast techs.

Arika
Mar 1, 2010, 02:29 AM
I will play Jp ver since start this time ^^

on another note to argument above.
Their coding skill is just bad. it is not relate to either they have PC version or not.
Both PC, PS2 and Xbox360 users lag badly, when you are in party full of tech. And the only way to reduce the lag is to have good PC. Even thought the case that they won't make PC ver. it will still be the same bad lag to the remain console. It happened when they made PSO for DC only, and that lag badly also.

In honestly, consider SEGA-JP direction lately. they throw away PS2 players and do bad service toward xbox360 server. I can see that they only care PC version right now! anyway.

oh, and please be aware, I m sure that the next game will have GC(Cash) thing again,
All the JP games now are like that.

SuKKrl
Mar 1, 2010, 02:59 AM
I agree. I think the PS series belongs on consoles, its not a PC game. I actually think PSO BB would have been better on a console. In fact, PSO on Gamecube I think looked better than PSOBB. I play PSU on PC, but it just doesn't feel the same.
Death penalty. NPC death penalty (keep them alive too! hurr hurr). Time limits. etc.

Don't take it from PC! I'm too used on playing games on the PC to go back. :(

Death penalty is a big risk, it might make it more interesting but if its too harsh it can affect the casual play factor that this series have had until now.

NPC death penalty looks fine as long as NPC's don't stop in front of laser turrets wondering what is the shiny piece of metal in front of them.

Time limits may be risky to apply on all missions online, and it would kill one of the challenges the game has today that is tackling a mission with higher level enemies. (specially when you solo, it takes long to kill enemies depending on the difference)

Zer0cast
Mar 1, 2010, 03:14 AM
I think the next game should be for ps3 or wii.it might be free lol and fighting could use work I like being able to role

I want to see new Fighting,weapons,items,mags and hostils

Anon_Fire
Mar 1, 2010, 08:45 AM
PSPo2 has special abilities for Newmans and Humans, so I don't think they'd take a step back and take them away. PSPo2 does a great job balancing races from what I hear (well better than previous installments. Job balance is a different story, FOs suck still).

And you never needed to have a gold account to play PSU on Xbox 360. You can play it with just the free Silver membership. Having a gold membership is completely your choice and does not give you any edge in PSU.

- No weapon synthesis.
- Bring back Photon Art leveling system. I didnt like having to search for techs in PSO, and I know I won't enjoy it in PSPo2. Leveling skills shows some sort of commitment and attachment to your character. Having to find skills makes your character's efficiency solely based on luck.
- Amp up the difficulty. 3 scapes. Death penalty. NPC death penalty (keep them alive too! hurr hurr). Time limits. etc.
- My Room features = My Home!!! Hurr hurrr.

There's probably other stuff, but thats what came to mind haha. I really don't have problems with the gameplay except that Forces/Techers shouldn't have to equip weapons to cast techs.

No, leave the Death penalty out of this.

I really made me frustrated every time I get killed my an enemy and lose like 25-60k EXP, and the NPC Death Penalty ruins my chances at S-ranking a mission solo.

But yes, take out item synthesis. Make all weapons and line shields drop made.

Oh and players should like get their own drops like in PSZ instead of hogging everything. Enemy Drops should be determined like this for example

(insert enemy name)
Common Drops - LV1-99 - Sleep / Resist, Photon Drop
Common Drops - LV100-200 - Kan Yu, Soul Banisher, Sleep / Resist

LV 1-9 - Breaker
LV 10-29 - Breaker, Calibur
LV 30-49 - Calibur, Hanzo
LV 50-74 - Hanzo, Soul Banisher
LV 75-99 - Soul Banisher, Kan Yu
LV 100-124 - De Ragan Slayer
LV 125-149 - De Ragan Slayer, Lightning Espada
LV 150-174 - De Ragan Slayer, Lightning Espada, Holy Sword Elsydeon
LV 175-200 - De Ragan Slayer, Lightning Espada, Holy Sword Elsydeon

Chuck_Norris
Mar 1, 2010, 03:49 PM
on another note to argument above.
Their coding skill is just bad. it is not relate to either they have PC version or not.
Both PC, PS2 and Xbox360 users lag badly, when you are in party full of tech. And the only way to reduce the lag is to have good PC. Even thought the case that they won't make PC ver. it will still be the same bad lag to the remain console. It happened when they made PSO for DC only, and that lag badly also.

It's a known fact that it's easier to code games for the PC. You don't need to go through all the security checks and encrypting console developers have to. If they only made it for consoles, they would have a reason to actually try to code correctly. They can't just say "Well, we made one good version that's soully based on your computer not being shit!" And the fanbase can't just tell players who point out flaws in the console versions to just get the PC version.

Not to mention, PC got advantages that PS2 didn't. Frame skip 0, anyone?

SuKKrl
Mar 1, 2010, 04:02 PM
Not to mention, PC got advantages that PS2 didn't. Frame skip 0, anyone?

That is not PC's fault. PS2 never was a powerhouse and by mid-2006 it was outdated. If the PS2 could handle the game at frame skip 0 then I can't see why it wouldn't run like that.

Cracka_J
Mar 1, 2010, 06:45 PM
It's like comparing a ford GT to a taurus. Both are produced by the same company, but with different capabilities and specifications on each.

Now the people that have purchased a GT and want to use it to it's highest specifications shouldn't be blamed. After all, it's what they spent their money on and want the most out of it.

It's not the people that bought the taurus at fault, cause they're simply buying what's efficient, what works, and what's affordable for them.

But to say that ford should limit or not create the GT anymore because the people that drive a taurus can't go as fast isn't fair to anyone. PC had it's perks like 0 frameskip because it was ABLE TO PREFORM THEM. Not because they were trying to screw PS2 players.

Regardless, whether they create a game for PC/360/PS3 shouldn't be the issue, you guys should really stress the emphasis on TESTING and a QA department that will ensure that future products work. The problem isn't which platform PSU was developed for, or which is easier to code, it's that almost no content was thoroughly tested before it was released to the public. You have countless rollbacks as proof that live environments were very rarely used in testing phases.

But people quickly jump back to system, console or PC wars being the end all argument to the problem. It's not it. Sega has an extremely poor (if not one of the worst) testing and QA departments. That's the foundation of where something new has to be hammered through. I firmly support a new title being produced for all consoles, and PC, but it must be put through rigorous testing phases before anyone should consider dropping another $50 on the product.

Oh also add to my list no more segregated servers. If US and JP are segregated again, history is already set to repeat. That should be the numero uno warning sign about any future online products from sega.

pinkace
Mar 1, 2010, 07:31 PM

I think that challenge mode should have been repackaged someway onto PSU, however, if you recall, no one outside of Japan played c-mode. Everyone played battle instead. So apparently you are the vast minority that enjoyed it.

I use the main attack button constantly to set up criticals. anyone who only uses PAs without setting up a critical first is a complete FOOL. Ranger do not have combos, true, but strafing (sidestepping) makes up for it. and honestly, how do you 'combo' with a ranged weapon? its a bit of non-sense. I know its a game, but still. first person and sidestepping is better than having to stand and fire. Sidestepping with a machine gun is pure sweetness :)

I loved PSO to death and spent several thousand hours on it. But the gameplay isn't really that game's strongest feature, it was the style, the spirit and personality. These things usually cannot be recaptured on sequels, not only on this game but on most videogames

the teamwork, the leveling, the item hunting and the community are still there thankfully.

Kion
Mar 1, 2010, 09:54 PM
PC generally loads much faster and has much better options for graphics settings. Also don't forget the ability to take screen shots. As PSU has become pretty much entirely PC clients, I expect the next PS game to follow that trend. It's probably more a matter of which company will allow mixed client servers.

Also bullet levels were kinda out of hand, but for techs it makes a lot of sense. I didn't like playing hunter because of having to make a weapon in each element. Rangers were awesome becuase you could pick up a 12* rifle or what ever and slap what ever element you wanted on it according to the situation. For forces it was nice that because you used techs all of the time anyways, the ones you used more got more powerful. Th leveling system was tedious, but it was definately worth it. It would be okay if they modified it, but I don't like the idea of PSO style %'s on guns and ellusive disk hunting (eeeeewwww).

Omega_Weltall
Mar 2, 2010, 12:29 AM
New Phantasy Star game?

Oh dear GodAllahYahwehVishuSatanJesusAlexJones let it be based in Algo.

gratefulgriz
Mar 2, 2010, 12:51 AM
i would love to see the PSO/PSU/PSZ games take off, but let's not forget a lot of OLDER (im 27 now) PS fans are still wishing for a PSV

Keilyn
Mar 2, 2010, 12:54 AM
Please give us a game that is not some crap 480 x 272 resolution graphics. Please don't give us some crap 256x256 texture mapped piece of garbage that thrives around 64x64 textures and half-pixilated, low polygon models...and call it a compilation..

Please don't give us some multi-console dependent crap which like PSO...which was phased out in consoles and now is PC (but have the fuckage from consoles in the PC version) and PSU that the same thing has happened...(please learn a lesson from this!) which stunted its growth.....and bring it only to PC!

Please make a game that won't force me to use my PC technology to run a newly released game as though it were 2 - 5 generations old. Please don't copy the same PSPoII mistake of using graphic creation techniques of the early 90s to market yesterday's trashy technology as a "look into the future" and finally....

Don't make another kiddy story and tell us its revolutionary when the first Phantasy Star was more about REVENGE and Darkness and started with a death scene....and Phantasy Star 4 had more aggressive tendencies!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Please...no more idiotic Sakai interviews where every game in the series keeps getting watered down more and more compared to the original games ....except for a scene or two....and the guy shows up on videos acting like a jerk...waving back and forth and tossing a "hehehe" grin while the series gets ruined! No more incoherent babble about next generation stuff....just shut up and do it! :)

...and if you can't stfu, do the one thing that will give me real hope for this series again..

......bring back Rieko Kodama!

Omega_Weltall
Mar 2, 2010, 01:08 AM
Please give us a game that is not some crap 480 x 272 resolution graphics. Please don't give us some crap 256x256 texture mapped piece of garbage that thrives around 64x64 textures and half-pixilated, low polygon models...and call it a compilation..

Please don't give us some multi-console dependent crap which like PSO...which was phased out in consoles and now is PC (but have the fuckage from consoles in the PC version) and PSU that the same thing has happened...(please learn a lesson from this!) which stunted its growth.....and bring it only to PC!

Please make a game that won't force me to use my PC technology to run a newly released game as though it were 2 - 5 generations old. Please don't copy the same PSPoII mistake of using graphic creation techniques of the early 90s to market yesterday's trashy technology as a "look into the future" and finally....

Don't make another kiddy story and tell us its revolutionary when the first Phantasy Star was more about REVENGE and Darkness and started with a death scene....and Phantasy Star 4 had more aggressive tendencies!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Please...no more idiotic Sakai interviews where every game in the series keeps getting watered down more and more compared to the original games ....except for a scene or two....and the guy shows up on videos acting like a jerk...waving back and forth and tossing a "hehehe" grin while the series gets ruined! No more incoherent babble about next generation stuff....just shut up and do it! :)

...and if you can't stfu, do the one thing that will give me real hope for this series again..

......bring back Rieko Kodama!

yes... for the love of god YES!
Alys' death is PS4 was WAY more moving than any event in a game since then.
people boo hoo over Arith's death (ya i know i spelled it wrong, who cares) when i was just mad i lost my main healer. Alys was a mentor, not to mention a powerhouse later in lvs, then BAM
Bring back hardcore storytelling like they did in the past then i'll be interested. Sometime at the end of the Dreamcast short life Sega got soft.

pinkace
Mar 2, 2010, 08:51 PM

What game were you talking about, just out of curiosity?

Reiko gave us PSO Ep3 on her production debut... so :quickdraw: :ak: :dead: depending who you ask.

Sometime at the end of the Dreamcast short life Sega got soft.

The years 2000 to 2004 saw some of Sega's most amazing variety and ingenuity in game design. Their catalog released for GBA, PS2, GC and Xbox is among the best ever published by a single company. I know most of these games were supposed to be on Dreamcast, and that is why I own them all. Yes, I own every Sega game for those four consoles. I am a fanboy :doughboy: :-?

Seira7
Mar 3, 2010, 01:19 AM
"So there’s an opinion that we should just make a console version of PSP2, however, I think that this [new] thing should be something more different from that. I want to not only draw in new players, but also deliver a game that older fans can approve of.”

Freaking c'mon. They tried to "make things different" and "draw in new players" with PSU and it was a flop. Take the best of PSO, PSP2, and PS0 and make a solid console game already... trust us, SEGA, your fans have good taste. Please us first, new players will come nonetheless.

Chuck_Norris
Mar 3, 2010, 03:16 AM
That is not PC's fault. PS2 never was a powerhouse and by mid-2006 it was outdated. If the PS2 could handle the game at frame skip 0 then I can't see why it wouldn't run like that.

True, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it was coded horribly. The PS2 could of at least handled something past Frame Skip friggin' 3. There is not a lot going on-screen at once in PSU. At max, you get 6 mobs on at once.

And Cracka, I'm not saying that ford shouldn't make GT's because the Taurus owners feel bad. However, if the Taurus is sold out of the factory with popped tires and half of it not painted, something's definitely wrong.

Kenbog
Mar 4, 2010, 01:51 PM
Future of Phantasy Star is that they quit releasing it outside Japan,
I am just being realistic here, in Europe its a damn hard game to find.

PSU was easy to find but had limit stock at release,
Most stores didn't sell Aoti and I still haven't seen a EU PC version anywhere...
PSPo only one store had 1 or 2 copies to sell.
PSZ no where to be found and stores aren't getting it in stock.

The game itself is also getting extremely Japan orientated (ingame)
Face it Japan doesn't want us to play the game...

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
The only big problem with just supporting the PC is that they'll have to put triple the effort into their work. Making an online RPG game for the PC is highly competitive. Extremely competitive. They actually got by because of the lack of competition on consoles, and now lack of online competition on Portable Systems.

With the PC, there's like thousands of these games; and I do have to admit, that's a great thing to have so much choice on the PC. However, for every game that has some success, there's maybe a dozen that fail. Now on the PSP front. How many other online RPGs with infrastructure mode gameplay, updates, and the like, do you know on the system? Or any portable system, to say the least.

Maybe iPhone will; but even though they have the fastest infrastructure game-support of any system, right now; those games have yet to come.

Sure, we've loved the games, and perhaps even have some good nostalgia from them; but the general game-playing audience is fickle. They want more for less, or support up the wazoo because that's what the competition has. To make the game more than a flee in the big insect farm, they'd have to push it harder than PSP2's effort, as good as that is, so far.

However, the other issue on the PC is that it's especially hard to make a Sci-fi online RPG game not tank (though I know we can sort of call this a sci-fi magic mix). I've actually been a part of enough of those that tanked. Phantasy Star actually has the longest running series of them, and part of that is because the consoles sustained them. The PC-specific ones died within a year or two. And while Star Trek Online is the new big Sci-fi release; we'll see how well that fares in a year or two.

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2010, 02:38 PM
For me. I'll be glad for whatever else comes. I'm just glad that they released some new Phantasy Star (Online) games for which I won't have to rely on the existence of a server, in the long run. That way I can take it with me.

ThePendragon
Mar 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
PSO gameplay is a horrific leap backwards, as long as the gameplay works similar to PSU and adds doge rolling rolling, and maybe shields and blocking. That'd be great. Only thing they should add from PSO is mags and some other fanservice BS to get people who thought PSO was better to play PSU.

Anon_Fire
Mar 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
PSO gameplay is a horrific leap backwards, as long as the gameplay works similar to PSU and adds doge rolling rolling, and maybe shields and blocking. That'd be great. Only thing they should add from PSO is mags and some other fanservice BS to get people who thought PSO was better to play PSU.

I'm not sure how MAGs would work in PSU. Maybe add a 5th slot for SUV/Mirage Blast/Extra Unit

Chuck_Norris
Mar 4, 2010, 07:16 PM
I never liked the mag system. It was one of the easiest ways to break the game for low levels. If you get your hands on a level 200 mag early on, you're pretty much set until ultimate. If they ever bring back mags, make them un-transferable, please.

pinkace
Mar 4, 2010, 10:19 PM
I never liked the mag system. It was one of the easiest ways to break the game for low levels. If you get your hands on a level 200 mag early on, you're pretty much set until ultimate. If they ever bring back mags, make them un-transferable, please.

But farming mags was so much fun :(

how would you 'get your hands' on a mag? oh you mean dupes.... :no: :nono: :mad: :cry:

Noblewine
Mar 4, 2010, 10:30 PM
I've been playing PSP/PSZ and love what I've seen so far. I'm eager to play the next game that comes out.

ThEoRy
Mar 5, 2010, 08:59 AM

Not nontransferable, simply make their level scale with yours. If you're only level 20, your mag cant go any higher than 25-30. You're 100, your mag can only go 100-125. You hit 180, ok now your mag can go 175-200. Simple.

Ezodagrom
Mar 5, 2010, 01:05 PM
Not nontransferable, simply make their level scale with yours. If you're only level 20, your mag cant go any higher than 25-30. You're 100, your mag can only go 100-125. You hit 180, ok now your mag can go 175-200. Simple.
It's not that simple. ^^;
For example when transfering a lvl 200 MAG with different points in every stat (like 20 DEF, 80 POW, 40 DEX, 60 MIND) to a lvl 20 player, which of the stats would go down for it to be a lvl 20 MAG?

I guess one solution would be not allowing the player to equip a MAG higher than what he can use, for example a lvl 20 player can't equip MAGs higher than lvl 20.

Another would be dropping 1 point for each level the MAG goes down (for example, lvl 199 MAG - 19 DEF, lvl 198 - 79 POW, lvl 197 - 39 DEX, lvl 196 - 59 MIND, lvl 195 - 18 DEF, and so on). When the player reaches a certain level, the MAG goes up to the level the player can use, unlocking the stats that it had locked (example, with the lvl 20 player, the lvl 200 MAG appears as lvl 20, the player goes up to lvl 21, the MAG goes up to lvl 21).

ThEoRy
Mar 5, 2010, 07:53 PM
It's not that simple. ^^;
For example when transfering a lvl 200 MAG with different points in every stat (like 20 DEF, 80 POW, 40 DEX, 60 MIND) to a lvl 20 player, which of the stats would go down for it to be a lvl 20 MAG?

I guess one solution would be not allowing the player to equip a MAG higher than what he can use, for example a lvl 20 player can't equip MAGs higher than lvl 20.

Another would be dropping 1 point for each level the MAG goes down (for example, lvl 199 MAG - 19 DEF, lvl 198 - 79 POW, lvl 197 - 39 DEX, lvl 196 - 59 MIND, lvl 195 - 18 DEF, and so on). When the player reaches a certain level, the MAG goes up to the level the player can use, unlocking the stats that it had locked (example, with the lvl 20 player, the lvl 200 MAG appears as lvl 20, the player goes up to lvl 21, the MAG goes up to lvl 21).

That's what I said already. You're simply rephrasing it.

Ezodagrom
Mar 5, 2010, 08:35 PM
That's what I said already. You're simply rephrasing it.
What you said was make the MAG level scale with the level of the player. My point was about the stats though, which ones or how would they go down, that it's not as simple as only the level of the MAG going down after trading it.

pinkace
Mar 5, 2010, 09:51 PM
I think you are both wrong. The mag system was awesome. I farmed mags specifically to share them with my other characters, and to trade them with people. Mags are not something you can get lucky and find; they take time and effort to create. So on a trade a fully reared mag would command respect.

Maxed out Mags cannot 'ruin' anything because they take time to create. unless, like I mentioned above, you are talking about dupes. Which you probably are. In which case, these words are lost on you. Anyone who thinks something that requires as much effort and time and patience as a mag with 60 DEF, 100 POW, 40 DEX for a cast, or a 80 DEF, 20 DEX, 100 MIND for a techer could do anything but fill you up with pride, clearly never made a Mag.

Blueblur
Mar 5, 2010, 10:07 PM
It'll be a long time before we see anything substantial judging by Sakai's comments. The new game most likely doesn't exist yet; if anything they're working on design documents and maybe prototypes. Regardless, I love what he's done with PSP2 so I'm sure the future of Phantasy Star is in good hands.

Koiwai_Keiji
Mar 5, 2010, 10:08 PM
I think you are both wrong. The mag system was awesome. I farmed mags specifically to share them with my other characters, and to trade them with people. Mags are not something you can get lucky and find; they take time and effort to create. So on a trade a fully reared mag would command respect.

Maxed out Mags cannot 'ruin' anything because they take time to create. unless, like I mentioned above, you are talking about dupes. Which you probably are. In which case, these words are lost on you. Anyone who thinks something that requires as much effort and time and patience as a mag with 60 DEF, 100 POW, 40 DEX for a cast, or a 80 DEF, 20 DEX, 100 MIND for a techer could do anything but fill you up with pride, clearly never made a Mag.

I have to admit that getting a mag as a gift, specially crafted one with the stats you want, the color you want, and photon blasts as a gift was something very cool in PSO. It was very tedious to create, so getting someone to craft a Dex or Pow Red or Black Shato rocked. The system for mags didn't sit well with me though, the fact that so much of a character's stats can be based upon the tedious feeding of a floating bauble thing seemed unbalanced. No weapons or armor or buffs can ever match equipping the right mag, and that's a bit much.

I'd like something difficult and dark for PS series, perhaps its due to playing Demon's Souls. I'd love to play a PSO that would just crush you if you didn't have 4 friends to play with, something along the lines of the phantasmal world style quests. Bring back instant death megid and grants, enemies with attack so high most people think its instant death, but you could actually survive if you had 50% line shield and lvl 40 buffs with only 10 life left.

Keilyn
Mar 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
for once I agree with PinkAce..

People love the ability to feed off a pet-like character and watch it grow...and even these kind of games were popular in Japan, like Pocket monsters (Pokemon), Tomagachi...and millions of neopets players exist...

People in PSU like the PMs to the point they also liked the PM-Clothes.

The problem was that the PMs in S2/S3 really did not help you much...while the Mag during boss fights or low health could grant you abilities you can actually use like invulnerability. Players like myself in PSO would spend time raising mags for different occasions....

I think most would agree that the raising is not the problem as much as their midgame to endgame usage....

As for scaling down mags...that is a horrible idea....If you raise the mag itself you shouldn't be penalized for it...specially if the system was an optional/independent system. No one asks you to raise a mag....or is it required to...but it really does add power and help.

PepperCat
Mar 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
Mags were great, they gave you something else to do/worry about while spamming endless hordes of monsters.

I loved making tons of different mags with different colors to match my characters' color schemes.

Ezodagrom
Mar 6, 2010, 12:15 AM

Well, gotta agree with this. I really liked mags, and I don't have problems with them like how they were in PSO, and I hope they make a return in a future game.
About the whole "breaking" the game at lower levels with a high level mag like Chuck said, to me it's more making it easier to make an alt char than breaking the game. It's not easy (or it's time consuming) to make multiple mags anyway. :3

(About my previous posts, they were a response to ThEoRy, that the idea of a tradeable MAG that scales with the level of the player is not as simple as it looks like.)

ThEoRy
Mar 6, 2010, 01:28 AM
Well, gotta agree with this. I really liked mags, and I don't have problems with them like how they were in PSO, and I hope they make a return in a future game.
About the whole "breaking" the game at lower levels with a high level mag like Chuck said, to me it's more making it easier to make an alt char than breaking the game. It's not easy (or it's time consuming) to make multiple mags anyway. :3

(About my previous posts, they were a response to ThEoRy, that the idea of a tradeable MAG that scales with the level of the player is not as simple as it looks like.)

I don't think you are grasping what I am suggesting. You seem to be implying that I might be suggesting something that I am not or possibly over-thinking things a bit. Obviously there is a miscommunication here.

I'm not saying anything about trade-able mags scaling down. If you are level 35 and someone gives you a mag that is level 50, you simply cannot equip it until you yourself are of a high enough level in order to "wield" it. Just like armor and weapon requirements on pso.

Koiwai_Keiji
Mar 6, 2010, 01:29 AM
The future of PSU and the PS series would be better if all the regional servers were linked. It would be nice to play with and get the content the japanese get. This will probably not happen though.

lostinseganet
Mar 6, 2010, 05:07 AM
Phantasy star can roll over, and die. The lack of updates, and treatment to US and EU is unacceptable.

@ pinkace I think the mags could be used like a digimon/sailormoon type deal. Yet if they temporary evolved in battle you would lose those stats boost until they returned to their little form...unless you merged with your mag ....oh yeaa..

Kion
Mar 6, 2010, 07:38 AM
The mag system in pso was definately preferable to the okiku doll making miniature loli's psu had to offer. Mags did break the game a lot in terms of low level characters. Rather than going back I'd rather see the PM system be expanded on. It would be nice if you could choose the appearance, equipment, class and abilities of PM's so you could have a partner for sololing. I think they should leave stats out of it.

RyuKisargi
Mar 6, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'd rather see a Phantasy Star 5. :P

Or an online series situated in the Algol/Algo system.

If it's something "older fans" would approve of...

This "older fan" would approve of it if it were PS5/Etc. :P

Requirements, however.

1. Mags. Can't do without 'em now.
2. EPIC storyline, in vein with the original PS series. I talked with a couple PSU'ers recently that don't even know about the first 4 titles. So sad. It's QUITE possible to have a storyline in a MMO setting. World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings Online proved that.
3. Regional Linked Updates - As someone said in page 2 or so, I'd also like to see the EXACT same updates the japs get.

That's 'bout it. Everything else can stay the same, IMO.

PepperCat
Mar 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
Does anyone remember the concept art for PSU and SUVs?

They were going to be much, much crazier... almost like a nanoblast, piloting a giant mech for a short amount of time.

They also wanted to make the NOS-techs actual DRAGONS... but they were limited by the PS2 too much.

All I have to say, if they have amazing ideas PREASE follow-through and finish them.

landman
Mar 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
When I got my PAL Phantasy Star Zero cartridge the first thing I did was going to get a friend's DS and trading my full grown MAG from the Japanese cartridge to my lvl 1 character in the PAL cartridge lol The exact same thing happens in PSU when you give to a lvl 1 character a lvl 20+ Photon Art. The only way to avoid that is putting level restrictions like in Phantasy Star Portable 2, you can equip a weapon or learn a Photon Art if your base level is X, not if your stats are whatever, so a newman can equip an armour at the exact same level a Beast can (remember PSU v1? when newman forces barely could equip any good line shield?)

If it is a pet what you'd like to grow they could improve the partner character, make it a machine, an animal, a person, whatever, a character you can grow and equip at your own will as if it was your own, assisting you in combat in whatever your needs are, a tank like character for a force, or a healer for a fighter, or a muskat raging and transforming in the middle of a combat... you get the idea.

I do believe Sakai has a game ready or almost ready for this year, the anniversary is in september so it's only natural that he is hyping the game before the announcement, Sonic Unleashed was programed basically by a new team, All other Sonic games have been developed by outside teams, Portable was developed out of Sega, and I don't think Zero had ALL the manpower from Sega internal teams and the game was released more than a year ago, so what have they been doing all this time? PSU is no excuse, editing some maps and changing parameters is nothing that needs a full team of people to do, and my idea is that they have been working in a new game while giving PSU little updates to keep some players subscribed, and all the new updates the JP server get make me feel the same, that they are extending the game until the next title is announced. PSU died for me when I finished Episode III so I can't wait for this new game's announcement lol

imgrier
Mar 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
I haven't gotten psp2 yet but I've only heard good about it. From what I've heard things are coming for consoles. Coming to PC would make sense and hand held consoles are fun too but they are too limited. I bought PSU and almost never played it, because the online stuff was too complicated. On PSO I would just go to one place and there would be people I could meet up with there and a group could easily be brought together. I know most people are just talking about phantasy star games for suggesting how the next one will be but I think that a lesson can be learned from WoW. In WoW you can go into a dungeon finder option and explore a huge world. A huge world is the only thing that is missing. The main things I missed in PSU about PSO is the graphics quality and my mag. Basically I want PSU with good graphics and my mag, but huge world exploration with a dungeon finder option would be great too.

pikachief
Mar 15, 2010, 03:42 PM
Does anyone remember the concept art for PSU and SUVs?

They were going to be much, much crazier... almost like a nanoblast, piloting a giant mech for a short amount of time.

They also wanted to make the NOS-techs actual DRAGONS... but they were limited by the PS2 too much.

All I have to say, if they have amazing ideas PREASE follow-through and finish them.

yea those nos-techs haha nos-diga says something about serpents that come out of the ground.

they dont look like serpents lol