PDA

View Full Version : DDO

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 02:17 AM
I'm setting Dungeons & Dragons Online to download and going to sleep.

I hate MMOs, but I've got me a hankering for some light Dungeons & Dragons play.

I'll probably log in, play for about half an hour, and then immediately quit.

Has anybody else tried this out?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 2, 2010, 02:28 AM

Around these parts with PSYOU, our players just got mad or sad and continued playing. For several years. They wouldn't know anything about this 'stop playing' action.

If this was brought up whence everyone in FKL was running to and from free play online games, including many grindy ones, they might jump on this.

But really, it was all about the Blockland.

-
Spam it in SkypeOtacon channel?

astuarlen
Mar 2, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'm setting Dungeons & Dragons Online to download and going to sleep.

I hate MMOs, but I've got me a hankering for some light Dungeons & Dragons play.

I got through the download, install, and open the character creator parts. Then I did the cancel, quit, uninstall part.

SpikeOtacon
Mar 2, 2010, 02:50 AM
I played the better version called Dragon Age

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 11:00 AM
I can't play Dragon Age.

I tried to play it casually around the holidays and was getting wrecked on easy.

I know that if I actually sit down and start planning out pre-set tactics and actually understanding what the different MMO roles are for each character, I could probably figure it out.

But I can't bring myself to boot it up knowing I'll have to dedicate an entire play session to that when I have many other things to play..

SpikeOtacon
Mar 2, 2010, 12:33 PM
She is indeed a harsh mistress.

Somnia
Mar 2, 2010, 12:34 PM
It's a slow game. Got a tiny PSU feel to it, grab a party in town and enter a particular door or gate for a mission you want. I couldn't get much into it though, the first couple of hours were incredibly boring.

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 12:39 PM
It's a slow game. Got a tiny PSU feel to it, grab a party in town and enter a particular door or gate for a mission you want. I couldn't get much into it though, the first couple of hours were incredibly boring.

That certainly sounds like Dungeons & Dragons.

SStrikerR
Mar 2, 2010, 03:00 PM
It's true. If you can last the first few hours of crap, and you find someone who knows their way around the game and can help you out, you should be fine. If not...have fun. :P

astuarlen
Mar 2, 2010, 03:13 PM
I can't play Dragon Age.

I tried to play it casually around the holidays and was getting wrecked on easy.

I know that if I actually sit down and start planning out pre-set tactics and actually understanding what the different MMO roles are for each character, I could probably figure it out.

But I can't bring myself to boot it up knowing I'll have to dedicate an entire play session to that when I have many other things to play..

Dragon Age is apparently the only type of game I'm good at, but I don't count that as a bad thing because it's also essentially the only type of game I want to play. Could the two be related? It's possible.

I guess if you're not used to pause-and-play RPGs it might take a bit to get used to, and if you're not comfortable with switching between characters, that would significantly impede your enjoyment und success (this seems to be much more difficult on the Box of X). The Tactics options, I found, were mostly ignorable; I just made a couple tweaks to make sure party members weren't running wildly after every baddie that blipped their radar, and we were good to go. I don't like having to scour skill tree FAQs to keep my party from going off the deeply-out-of-our-league end, and I thought DA was pretty friendly in this respect. Yes, there were some difficult battles, but it wasn't anything a judicious and patient application of lure-and-conquer couldn't solve. Your mileage obviously varied, but Dragon Age had me hooked like a greedy fish.

Let us know how DDO pans out.

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'm less than familiar with Baldur's Gate, but I've played through most of Neverwinter Nights and I've finished Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel. I've got a bit of experience with Bioware (and Bioware-type) games.

But I play Dragon's Age and I'm going through the whole "pause and play" and it just keeps boiling down to my characters taking too much damage and not dishing enough out. It's been weeks since I booted up the mission I was on (defending against a bunch of zombies in Alistair's hometown or something?), and I just kept getting whittled down by the zombies.

I've gone to check some walkthroughs on completing this mission, and everyone keeps saying that you need two healers - one of which should be your hero. This advice doesn't really work when you're playing as a fighter.

Weeaboolits
Mar 2, 2010, 03:58 PM
I played DDO a while back, I made a Warforged Monk since it was in beta or something, so they gave me free payshop points so I could do that sort of thing, I got bored before I finished the first mission though.

Also I've been considering trying out Dragon Age, but haven't gotten around to it. Is it really that hard? I don't mind a challenge now and again, but too many of my Xblorp games frustrate the hell out of me as it is.

astuarlen
Mar 2, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'm less than familiar with Baldur's Gate, but I've played through most of Neverwinter Nights and I've finished Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel. I've got a bit of experience with Bioware (and Bioware-type) games.

But I play Dragon's Age and I'm going through the whole "pause and play" and it just keeps boiling down to my characters taking too much damage and not dishing enough out. It's been weeks since I booted up the mission I was on (defending against a bunch of zombies in Alistair's hometown or something?), and I just kept getting whittled down by the zombies.

I've gone to check some walkthroughs on completing this mission, and everyone keeps saying that you need two healers - one of which should be your hero. This advice doesn't really work when you're playing as a fighter.

[spoiler-box]Sounds like the battle at Redcliffe (the second wave where you go back to the town center/bonfire and the darkspawn keep coming and coming and coming?)

This, for me, was actually probably one of the toughest battles first time around (excepting my foolhardy attempts to tackle a Revenant waaaay before I was ready); I ended up losing all but my character (rogue) and Morrigan, but I finished it by running away halfway up the hill and using my rogue to snipe/lure the enemies up to our position singly or in pairs. This, as it turns out, is super inefficient but it works.

The second time, I realized those knights up by the windmill were still around after the first part of the battle (duh), and I could draw the zombiedudes at the bottom of the hill up towards my party waiting by the windmill with the knights. It still took a while ('cause there's a seemingly endless supply of darkspawn), but I got through without any casualties.

If you're not in the mood for doing the Redcliff stuff right now--and I wasn't at first--and you have a save from before nightfall/the battle, you could go do the Mage Tower quest and pick up Wynne (who is an a-maz-ing healer/cleric type). You get locked in the tower once you start the quest, but having 2 mages is a godsend.[/spoiler-box]

Ronin, I don't think it's hard, BUT I did play on PC (and the interface on the Xbox version is stupidly lacking in certain features, which I've heard--and certainly believe--makes strategic playing more of a pain).

Outrider
Mar 2, 2010, 04:34 PM
It's probably not that hard for people who are better at these types of games. I'm just not very good at them (even the random bandit attacks outside the first town were taking down most of my party.)

I'm actually playing on PC. I have no idea what it's like on Xbox.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 2, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'm actually playing on PC. I have no idea what it's like on Xbox.
Over there you might get a cross-game invite voice mail-

-to go bowling with your cousin.

Outrider
Mar 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
I just did the first quest last night before bed.

Apparently DDO doesn't use caveman combat like Dragon Age. That was unexpected.

Is this pseudo-action gameplay the way MMOs have been working for a while now? I don't remember from the week that I played WoW.

astuarlen
Mar 3, 2010, 02:01 PM
I just did the first quest last night before bed.

Apparently DDO doesn't use caveman combat like Dragon Age. That was unexpected.

Is this pseudo-action gameplay the way MMOs have been working for a while now? I don't remember from the week that I played WoW.

Okay, I tried googling "caveman combat", but I'm not entirely sure what you're referencing. Mindlessly bonking each other over the head until PC or NPC is dead? 'Cause that's the last way I would describe combat in DA, so I'm guessing I'm misinterpreting.

P.S. Why doesn't misinterpreting have a double t before ing? With whom do I file a complaint?

Outrider
Mar 3, 2010, 05:51 PM
A friend of mine who used to play Dark Age of Camelot introduced me to the "caveman combat" term.

But yes - like in most Bioware RPGs - caveman combat involves your characters automatically fighting an enemy once they've been selected.

DDO is set up so that each time you click your mouse, your character swings their sword. I was not expecting it.

Volcompat321
Mar 3, 2010, 05:57 PM
I ate a Chimmy Changa once.

It was good.

astuarlen
Mar 3, 2010, 06:27 PM
A friend of mine who used to play Dark Age of Camelot introduced me to the "caveman combat" term.

But yes - like in most Bioware RPGs - caveman combat involves your characters automatically fighting an enemy once they've been selected.

DDO is set up so that each time you click your mouse, your character swings their sword. I was not expecting it.

Huh, I haven't played many MMOs (or MOOs; sorry, Mr. 2u), but I just assumed they were all set up like DDO--one click, one attack--'cause wouldn't it be rather boring otherwise. With a game like DA, where you have up to 4 party members to constantly tend to by maneuvering, selecting skills, casting spells, and using items, it would be unmanageable to use anything other than Geico-style combat, but when it's down to just one character...
I have been known to make a hash of any situation requiring me to place my character's melee weapon between the eyes of an enemy NPC. Run and snipe, run and snipe, run and snipe for your life, little avatar!
In any case, I can't get the image of Fred Flintstone conking a Nug over the head with a brontosaurus burger. Wilmaaaaaaaaaa!