View Full Version : Laptop

Raikomaru
Mar 8, 2010, 06:50 PM
This is the best, most affordable laptop available for what I want:

Dell Studio 17
CPU: Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core
HD: 500 GB SATA (7200 RPM)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Vid Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (1 GB)
Battery: 9-cell Lithium Ion

Those are the deciding factors that are affecting my decision for a good laptop for gaming and stuff. (I can't afford an Alienware...)

Lance813
Mar 8, 2010, 06:53 PM
Buy a desktop?

astuarlen
Mar 8, 2010, 07:04 PM
Congratulations?
C'mon, you're not even soliciting opinions here. This is a mobocracy, and you'd do well do remember that.

Raikomaru
Mar 8, 2010, 07:04 PM
OK, what's everyone's opinion? Sound good? (And I need it to be a laptop, for portability)

Raikomaru
Mar 8, 2010, 07:21 PM
Or maybe a Sony Vaio F something.....

Shadowpawn
Mar 8, 2010, 07:30 PM
This is the best, most affordable laptop available for what I want:

Dell Studio 17
CPU: Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core
HD: 500 GB SATA (7200 RPM)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Vid Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (1 GB)
Battery: 9-cell Lithium Ion

Those are the deciding factors that are affecting my decision for a good laptop for gaming and stuff. (I can't afford an Alienware...)

Does it have good battery life? Otherwise the specs you've posted look good.

Blitzkommando
Mar 9, 2010, 02:00 PM
Just keep in mind portable is not a word that comes to mind with anything over 15". But, if you are looking at that size range and those specs, check out what Asus has to offer. They are one of the top manufacturers when it comes to relability and are more often than not cheaper than Dell.

Here's a list with similar specs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032+50001315+1039349576&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=32&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=) to that Dell and they start at $1050.

Raikomaru
Mar 16, 2010, 04:34 PM
Alrighty, I've pretty much got it under control now, I'm just gonna find something on Newegg

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 16, 2010, 05:30 PM
Buy a desktop?

I need it to be a laptop, for portability

DESKTOP IS VERY PORTABLE

[spoiler-box]
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/crazycomputer.jpg
SEE? VERY PORTABLE
IT GO WHERE YOU GO
[/spoiler-box]

lavisblade
Mar 16, 2010, 05:45 PM
DESKTOP IS VERY PORTABLE

[spoiler-box]
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/crazycomputer.jpg
SEE? VERY PORTABLE
IT GO WHERE YOU GO
[/spoiler-box]
DO WANT.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
DO WANT.
Even the BSOD?

Volcompat321
Mar 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
I think my laptop finally, after a year of battling it's death, died on me. :(

It's shutting down after starting up right away. (Gets to the Vista "Welcome" screen, and just shuts down) :(

Or, I need a desktop with wireless internet. That would probably be a lot better.
I don't move my laptop anyway.

Outrider
Mar 17, 2010, 12:50 PM

Vista

[Insert witty comment here.]

Shadowpawn
Mar 17, 2010, 01:28 PM

It's shutting down after starting up right away. (Gets to the Vista "Welcome" screen, and just shuts down) :(

Or, I need a desktop with wireless internet. That would probably be a lot better.
I don't move my laptop anyway.

If you do get a desktop make sure you remove the hard drive from your laptop and insert it into a external holder. That way you can just remove anything you want from the drive directly and port it to your desktop.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 17, 2010, 03:36 PM
If you do get a desktop make sure you remove the hard drive from your laptop and insert it into a external holder. That way you can just remove anything you want from the drive directly and port it to your desktop.

The hard drive is probably the cause of his problem (Power supplies and hard drives have the highest failure rate of computer hardware, and the power supply generally isn't a problem for a laptop). Chances are, he could replace it, and it'd run like new.

Shadowpawn
Mar 17, 2010, 05:16 PM
The hard drive is probably the cause of his problem (Power supplies and hard drives have the highest failure rate of computer hardware, and the power supply generally isn't a problem for a laptop). Chances are, he could replace it, and it'd run like new.

That's true, I recently did that with my laptop. The old one was in danger of failing so I backed up everything to an external one and bought a new HDD. I still have to get an external holder to turn my old HDD into a slave drive though.

lavisblade
Mar 17, 2010, 07:55 PM
Even the BSOD?
I've never had any of that stuff happen to me on anything...
RROD, BSOD, FSOD...nope, I'm clean.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 17, 2010, 10:46 PM
I've never had any of that stuff happen to me on anything...
RROD, BSOD, FSOD...nope, I'm clean.
His screen has nothing on it.

lavisblade
Mar 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
His screen has nothing on it.
Oh...lol.

Obviously, I just meant the idea of a destop on a desk that you wear. I'm sure you knew that...but the thought of wearable computers amuses me...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 18, 2010, 11:16 PM
As long as the computers don't SKYNET and move themselves. Keeping the exoskeletons as some kinda nod to the creators, that they are now skull crushing, platinum coated, invincible better & shinier than you now.