PDA

View Full Version : where do rangers fit in in PSZ?

Jonzales
Mar 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
Is what rangers seem NOT to be...

so from what i've gathered on PSO Rangers were pretty versatile, attacking from range their place in a team was mostly enemy management, keeping enemies stalled so HU's could freely wade through mobs and FO's could tech like madmen safely, there were the occasional high ATP RA's that were decent damage dealers with NUG's and yas's

so where do rangers fit in in PSZ? lack of the shot type weapon makes enemy managment a tough deal, Casts can creep their ATP into the HU's catergory but you'd need to make alot of exceptions on other stats?

whats your input on this? what do you see thier role as and how do you play RA's
and remeber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOACVCOJsM

ARChan
Mar 12, 2010, 01:59 PM
Simply, just know the rifle trick if you want to attack across walls: Use Hollow Snipe to hit a target. They can't guard any of the attacks. It'd be nice if you have Compress PA with it.

Draquoir
Mar 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yea, Hollow Snipe, earthbullet, flame hit and maybe divine ray are the only RA pa's worth using imo. Acrostep on my mechs really suck but the % is pretty high. Gunblades are good too for that shot type effect albeit not as good as say SN and normal shots from PSO.

Might have missed some good PA's to dish out the damage. I really hate that bazookas were so badly nerfed.

Google
Mar 12, 2010, 03:45 PM
There's guns that have good photon arts so they can still do some decent damage. Rangers no longer have loads of HP and defense but hunters should have more anyway. I really miss shots.

The_Pup
Mar 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
You forgot about Bio Panic and Mine Sneak. They're pretty decent. A RAcaseal I was playing with the other day was using Mine Sneak and doing nice damage (I don't use Rifles much, she had a Laevatein) although ending up in the middle of mobs I end up finishing off (was sticking to GB shoot mode DPS and debuff/healing duty).

Bazooka PAs are nice. Two of them are pretty wonky to use, however. And only one is of any serious use if going for big damage (though the others work too). Think of Bazookas as the high-damage alternative to laser cannons, trading off proc rate for the ability to get L5 elements. Don't use them much because I don't have any of the higher-end ones at the moment.

FOmarRashidi
Mar 12, 2010, 07:36 PM
It's funny you mention the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Jonzales, because I started feeling nostalgic towards it last night with my RAmarl that sort of looks like the first pink ranger and the Earth Bullet PA reminds me of the special effects on the show. Anyway, Rangers are meant to be support characters. If you want to do a lot of damage and not be squishy, then be a hunter. If you want to do a lot of damage and be squishy, then use a force.

Jonzales
Mar 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
ive got a level 4 celeb nemisis with 47% (soon to be 62) on beast, i believe thats appropriate since those enemies tend to move slower and have more hp
divine ray has an insane hitbox and biopanic can wreck a mob sideways but to really get them dealing huge damage you prob have straight pow mats or pure pow mag =/

oh and im also not pro the gunlbade glitch im talking about straight legit play online with team, what are their 'responsibilities' i.e. FO's normally buff/debuff

Edit: yea Rashidi i feel like a power ranger/zoid with my racast also you say they are a support class, define 'support' in that context? i would of thought enemy management, but that is almost non existant now =/ maybe cannons with divine ray/ biopanic?

Sami
Mar 12, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have to disagree with OP about rangers in PSO.
Default they were not very strong on their own. But with S/D they murdered large mobs with spread needles or charge shots.

psz doesn't really have large mobs, so rangers are only half (or less even) as effective as they were in PSO.

Right now i solo racaseal with mechs. But i am looking for a lv 3 / 4 elemental laser for multiplayer support. Probably with Stun.

Ranger= No high damage, impossible to hit fast moving enemies and no special role.

leviayurashyguy
Mar 13, 2010, 03:37 AM
Yea, Hollow Snipe, earthbullet, flame hit and maybe divine ray are the only RA pa's worth using imo. Acrostep on my mechs really suck but the % is pretty high. Gunblades are good too for that shot type effect albeit not as good as say SN and normal shots from PSO.

Might have missed some good PA's to dish out the damage. I really hate that bazookas were so badly nerfed.

Acro Step is a terrible PA because all the shots don't actually "hit" the enemy, lowering its damage potential A LOT, similar to Quick Draw

Mech Guns should be used for their combos, not their PA's, cuz they have horrible mods

FOmarRashidi
Mar 13, 2010, 03:41 AM
ive got a level 4 celeb nemisis with 47% (soon to be 62) on beast, i believe thats appropriate since those enemies tend to move slower and have more hp
divine ray has an insane hitbox and biopanic can wreck a mob sideways but to really get them dealing huge damage you prob have straight pow mats or pure pow mag =/

oh and im also not pro the gunlbade glitch im talking about straight legit play online with team, what are their 'responsibilities' i.e. FO's normally buff/debuff

Edit: yea Rashidi i feel like a power ranger/zoid with my racast also you say they are a support class, define 'support' in that context? i would of thought enemy management, but that is almost non existant now =/ maybe cannons with divine ray/ biopanic?

Rangers make hostiles flinch, inflict status aliments, chip away at hostiles with PAs, the human rangers can debuff and use some techs, and the cast rangers can use traps. I pretty much have seen the ranger as the archer type in this game who are there to support those on the front lines. You wanted input on how others saw rangers and that's how I see them. I am aware of their transition from PSO to PSZ. If you are unsatisfied with the ranger in PSZ, you can always take up the hunter or force role.

leviayurashyguy
Mar 13, 2010, 03:56 AM
its kinda funny. all the things you said Rangers can do, the others classes can do also and better

Matanaeh
Mar 13, 2010, 07:50 PM
yea, the nerf on rangers grows. they should have atleast kept the bazooka area effect for the single shot, rangers just aren't what they used to be. a good'ol HP/SN/twin chakrams combo was lethal. (incase you dont know chankrams are the only daggers rangers could use in PSO (that i know of anyway])

Jonzales
Mar 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
Rangers make hostiles flinch, inflict status aliments, chip away at hostiles with PAs, the human rangers can debuff and use some techs, and the cast rangers can use traps. I pretty much have seen the ranger as the archer type in this game who are there to support those on the front lines. You wanted input on how others saw rangers and that's how I see them. I am aware of their transition from PSO to PSZ. If you are unsatisfied with the ranger in PSZ, you can always take up the hunter or force role.

well im not exactly whining that 'oh rangers are so weak compared to etc.ect.ect.' i was currently just a bit confused on where they were cause i started feeling a tad redundant online recent, and yea the RAmar/ls can have support tech's but more often then not there's a FO around which is preferred, with casts the burn trap and heal traps seem to be the only stand out useful ones, freeze is removed after the first hit, and does... does... err what exactly DO they do? ive never seen enemies attack each other whilst they're confused...

The_Pup
Mar 13, 2010, 09:58 PM
RA make decent (not excellent) healers when a force weapon is equipped (don't need to switch mags or other equips for MST, but that helps) since their damage isn't as awe-inspiring as HUs. They make good backup healers. Otherwise, their job is to debuff everything evil and under the sun, no matter how cute.

Also, there's only a 5% difference between FO and HU/RA de/buffs when maxed. Not much. FO have larger range and have overkill MST for heals, but is that really needed? Most of the time you're going to be clumped together within buffing/healing range of other players. Everyone usually blanket buffs at the door to the next room, and enemies spawn in easily debuffable clumps.

FOs can do it all techwise, where HU/RAs take off the load for forces to concentrate in other areas (such as tech damage, PA damage, healing, and missing buffs/debuffs).

Kirukia
Mar 13, 2010, 10:13 PM
I noticed Acro Step hits like crap too. I do a ton more with spinning death, and that sucks too .___. I just use mechs normally, no PAs :p
I actually like quick draw a lot. I get hits for like all of the shots xD It's good on big enemies, but I guess not against groups.

steaIth
Mar 13, 2010, 10:22 PM
i like flame hit better, P.S. i have a h44 with quick draw that i will trade for something not as good, it has no percents

Jonzales
Mar 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
only 5% well that isn't too much it seems, i suppose my HUnewm wont end up as useless as i thought :D and yea the Mech's pa's are kinda lackluster
well i have found something, against a froutang/naked having using a bazooka can actually keep them flinching so they don't attack ever =D
well they seem to make ok secondary debuffers/healers to take some load off the force but what about casts? whats your ideas on them?
oh and im sure my topic title wasn't that... i think i've had a visit from master hand O_o

leviayurashyguy
Mar 14, 2010, 02:44 PM
RAmarl's make crappy healers. not only do they have less MST than HUnewms and suprisingly less than HUmarl, they can't even equip rods or shurinkens.

and the 5% may not mean much, its still superior and has wider range. there is no need for two cast of the same tech if its lesser quality. they don't stack

and as many times as i have to say it, HUnewm is FAR from being the worst class

Naeyth
Mar 14, 2010, 03:22 PM
I ended up quitting my RACast after making a HuCast which does everything so much more better. Even the equips unique to RACast doesn't make up for its lack of power.

Jonzales
Mar 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
maybe if they gave traps exclusive to RA's and have a few things like poison and paralysis traps i can see that as damage support and keeping things from killing you support, but hey Sonic team have been doing this for a while so i suppose they know what they're doing