PDA

View Full Version : Laptop questions-

Volcompat321
Mar 17, 2010, 01:38 AM
1. Will RAM(even though it's been in for over a year) make a computer randomly shut down for no reason?

2. What are some of the reasons why the CPU would be running high when nothing much is going on. (Got a Youtube page up(vid on pause, loading), along with PSO-World and PSU forums).

3. WTF

4. It's not running too hot, not out of the ordinary, so what's the deal?

Is there something I can run on my computer to tell me a specific problem? (Probably not, just being hopeful)

Thanks.
It's either fix this computer, deal with it shutting down frequently, or get pissed off and throw it, break it more, or just uefhwruigfhe;ofi ewghruewilghewfje it. :(

Zeek123
Mar 17, 2010, 01:40 AM
just uefhwruigfhe;ofi ewghruewilghewfje it. :(

Can you post a vid demonstrating this?

Volcompat321
Mar 17, 2010, 01:44 AM
Cant, no camera!

I'm just getting so frustrated with this damn thing, I just want to go Office Space on it.

I've had it nearly three years, and it's been giving me problems for at least 2 and a half.

I cant afford a new laptop, or desktop, so I need fixes. :(

I just want a desktop with wireless internets.
I haven't had a desktop, or a computer that was awesome since I was 10 lol.
Just so sick of this fucking thing. :/

Shadowpawn
Mar 17, 2010, 01:46 AM
1. If you run out of RAM your computer can crash.
2. Depends on the browser you are using, I know Chrome has a bug that causes 100 CPU usage. Also, if you are using Vista some of the processes that go on in the background can also cause 100 CPU usage. I know of one that did so for me, it was the process that sent error reports to Microsoft. Also the automatic update for Windows in Vista can also cause a CPU spike.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 17, 2010, 02:21 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/technology/30laptop.html

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/30/business/20061130_LAPTOP_575x439.gif

Crank it up!

Where is the crank on yours, or even this one?

Lol that transparency image looks terriblah on Blue/Black!, if not all dark ones of vbulletin site themes installed here!

Go back to 2006 archives, images and fix it NYTimes, your credibility is on the line!
[spoiler-box]

Mr. Negroponte, the founding director of the M.I.T. Media Laboratory,
Change the world man. Negroponte > Negrodamus?!
[/spoiler-box]

Nitro Vordex
Mar 17, 2010, 03:01 AM
1. Will RAM(even though it's been in for over a year) make a computer randomly shut down for no reason?

2. What are some of the reasons why the CPU would be running high when nothing much is going on. (Got a Youtube page up(vid on pause, loading), along with PSO-World and PSU forums).

3. WTF

4. It's not running too hot, not out of the ordinary, so what's the deal?

Is there something I can run on my computer to tell me a specific problem? (Probably not, just being hopeful)

Thanks.
It's either fix this computer, deal with it shutting down frequently, or get pissed off and throw it, break it more, or just uefhwruigfhe;ofi ewghruewilghewfje it. :(
1. Running out of RAM can cause that. Or maybe it's failing, try and run diagnostics on it. I don't remember the program for it, sorry.
2. Bugs. Examples are Firefox. Firefox takes a crap load of resources when IDLE. CPU, not so sure.
3.HAX
4. Requesting Youtubes of said destruction.

W0LB0T
Mar 17, 2010, 03:14 AM
Solution, use a real computer. only casuals use Laptops.

Volcompat321
Mar 17, 2010, 03:15 AM
Well, my laptop was running decent when I took 2 GB of RAM out. (have 2-2gb sticks).

I tried to use a lot of ram, so I opened about 50 Youtube videos up.
Finally after about 5 minutes it shut down.

Put 2 back in, and 1 video shut it down.
Tried taking the same stick out, but switched the slots used. Same deal, 50 videos blah blah.
I shut it down, switched the ram sticks both spaces, did the same thing, went the same way.
So I don't think it's the RAM. (maybe?)

As of now, it hasn't shut down, been on it a total of 4 minutes! :o NEW RECORD! for tonight.

If I do finally destroy this thing, I'll salvage what I can. RAM, HDD(for my PS3), CD-Rom drive(hey, it has a burner in it!), and so on.

I'll try to get a video of it. Probably wont happen for quite a while.
While this is a POS laptop, it's my only source of internet that isn't insanely slow. (Wii sucks, Ps3 is just as bad, DSi, wont even thing about using it, same for PSP).

I'd go crazy without internet, so for now I'll deal with the shutting down every so often. :(

The day I get a new computer, whether it be one a friend makes from dirt, or a new laptop, I'm fucking this one up.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr

Why am I poor? Money would solve all of my problems right now.

Solution, use a real computer. only casuals use Laptops.

Well, when I got it, I was always out of my house, so it was easier to buy a laptop, plus I had quite a bit of money when I got it.

Ever since I don't work at the mental health facility, money has been low. :(

SabZero
Mar 17, 2010, 06:34 AM
If you want to be sure about your RAM, run memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/), it will need a boot and will take ages.

After that you could try reinstalling Windows, with a full reformat of the drive/partition. Or try a defrag first.

Zeek123
Mar 17, 2010, 07:19 AM
Yeah save the internal HDD. I did when my laptop went crap on me, and popped it in my PS3. I only wish Sony'd move on from FAT32... I hate FAT32...

Volcompat321
Mar 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
If you want to be sure about your RAM, run memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/), it will need a boot and will take ages.

After that you could try reinstalling Windows, with a full reformat of the drive/partition. Or try a defrag first.

I've re-installed windows with a clean boot well after the problems have started. :/
I had Windows 7, then went back to Vista because of the trial thing.

Yeah save the internal HDD. I did when my laptop went crap on me, and popped it in my PS3. I only wish Sony'd move on from FAT32... I hate FAT32...

So...my hard drive has to be FAT32 to work on the PS3? :o
Mines NTFS now.

I don't care for any programs on my computer, I can easily re-install them.
Pictures are the only thing I don't have backed up all the time, because I constantly add more.
(Those are easily transferable to a PSP memory stick anyway)
Formatting isn't that big a deal.

I have a friend building me a desktop now. It's not going to be anything special, but at least I'll be able to have internet!
I just have to back up all my PS3 stuff, so I can use the HDD! Which is awesome, because a 250GB HDD is a lot more than only 60GB!
I had only 10GB left on the PS3 anyway.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 17, 2010, 04:04 PM
The problem is most likely to be the hard drive. Hard drives are only expected to last 5 years (if they last longer, then they're go-out-any-time-now at that point), but sometimes to make it quite that long.

Bad RAM can cause your computer to randomly shut down, but after your tests, then if your RAM is bad, then both sticks are bad, which is not likely unless there is some underlying systemic cause, in which case, your computer eats RAM, and every stick you put in there will soon go bad.

Now, it could also be that your motherboard has a blown capacitor, which can also cause the symptoms you've described. It's easy to detect; just open up your machine, and look at the cylinders sticking straight up (sometimes they're bent over on their sides, but that's less common). They will usually have a cross imprinted on them as a designated point of failure; if that spot is poking up, instead of laying flat (or indeed, blown open with goo coming out), then you've got a bad capacitor. The capacitor can probably be replaced, but it's generally better to just replace the whole damn thing.

Most likely cause is your hard drive, though. You might be able to stem off some problems by running HDD Regenerator (http://download.cnet.com/HDD-Regenerator/3000-2248_4-10330123.html) (it finds bad sectors, transfers information out of them, and lays down the appropriate flags to prevent those sectors from being used), but a drive on it's way out, is a drive on its way out, and will have to be replaced. You may have to run the Regenerator more than once, as sometimes the drives overheat, and that's the cause of the problem. If you run it, and it finds no bad sectors, then your problem is clearly something else, so you might want to look into the bad capacitor idea.

Volcompat321
Mar 17, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oh wow.
Well there's nothing oozing out of my processor, or motherboard. (Actually, I cant find my motherboard. :o)

The processor is the thing with hundreds of little pins, says something about AMD whatever, right?

I cant find my motherboard at all.

I did find something interesting though-
I opened it up, and saw a RLT8187B card(what I assume is my Realtek wireless card)
There's two spots for it to be in, so I moved the spot, and now the computer hasn't shut off yet. (YET).

WTF, could that have been the problem?
I'm about to make a bootable flash drive for that HDD program you gave me.
I'll see what that brings up, and post results.

Also, if it is my hard drive, that means putting it in my PS3 is a horrible idea, doesn't it? :(
I wanted a 250 GB PS3!

Zeek123
Mar 17, 2010, 04:45 PM
It's possible. If your PC got hot enough, it could undo the sodering and then shifted. Or if it got slammed down or soemething, parts could have come loose.

Volcompat321
Mar 18, 2010, 06:25 AM
Aw man this thing.

I was just about to type about how great my computer was doing, then the fucking thing shut down. :(

It's final-
I'm taking what I need, and destroying the rest.
No more second guessing it.

I'll be without a fast computer for quite a bit, until my friend builds me one..which wont even be that great, but it's something!

Before I destroy the damn thing, what should I take out and keep besides the RAM, HDD, and whatever else-

Should I take the LCD? :o (Is it possible to take it out and use it with anything else?

Also, would Linux on a PS3 be more efficient than a slow desktop?
I'd have 250 GB on the PS3, so I could partition it.

SabZero
Mar 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hey man, don't throw the bits in the regular trash. It contains heavy metals, which are toxic and should not be allowed to go on the ground...

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 18, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oh wow.
Well there's nothing oozing out of my processor, or motherboard. (Actually, I cant find my motherboard. :o)

The processor is the thing with hundreds of little pins, says something about AMD whatever, right?

I cant find my motherboard at all.

Usually, yes, and there should never be anything oozing out of your processor. The motherboard is the device that everything is plugged into, especially your processor. I don't have a lot of experience with laptop motherboards, but usually you'll see a number of cylinders sticking out of it (these are capacitors), any one of which could be bloating or even leaking, which indicates that the capacitor has gone bad, and in turn, means that the motherboard has gone bad. It's one of those things that just happens when motherboards get old.

I did find something interesting though-
I opened it up, and saw a RLT8187B card(what I assume is my Realtek wireless card)
There's two spots for it to be in, so I moved the spot, and now the computer hasn't shut off yet. (YET).

WTF, could that have been the problem?

Yes, that could very well have been the problem. If it is, then it is likely to be the same obscure problem that I had with my machine about 10 years ago. Every time I used the internet with any vigor, my machine would shut down for no adequately explained reason. As it turned out, the PCI slot my ethernet card was plugged into had gone bad, and the attempt to use the broken pin was resulting in a severe hardware failure. It's very, very unusual, but occasionally happens.

astuarlen
Mar 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hey man, don't throw the bits in the regular trash. It contains heavy metals, which are toxic and should not be allowed to go on the ground...

Hey, hey, hey, you've already made one sensible post in this thread; no double-dipping allowed!

Vol, you should look for a computer/electronics recycling service in your area which does not dump parts in a landfill or export unwanted materials out of the country (which just shifts the environmental and health hazards to people in other regions). When we had to get rid of several old towers and monitors, we found a recycler which organized regular electronic waste drop-off days locally; see if you can google up a similar option.

SabZero
Mar 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
Hey, hey, hey, you've already made one sensible post in this thread; no double-dipping allowed!

Vol, you should look for a computer/electronics recycling service in your area which does not dump parts in a landfill or export unwanted materials out of the country (which just shifts the environmental and health hazards to people in other regions). When we had to get rid of several old towers and monitors, we found a recycler which organized regular electronic waste drop-off days locally; see if you can google up a similar option.

You were much more eloquent then me anyways. *salutes* YES SIR!

Volcompat321
Mar 18, 2010, 04:48 PM

Well or course. :p
It's actually illegal to just throw a laptop(especially) into a trash can!
Plus, there's so much on here that can be reused!

Usually, yes, and there should never be anything oozing out of your processor. The motherboard is the device that everything is plugged into, especially your processor. I don't have a lot of experience with laptop motherboards, but usually you'll see a number of cylinders sticking out of it (these are capacitors), any one of which could be bloating or even leaking, which indicates that the capacitor has gone bad, and in turn, means that the motherboard has gone bad. It's one of those things that just happens when motherboards get old.
Yes, that could very well have been the problem. If it is, then it is likely to be the same obscure problem that I had with my machine about 10 years ago. Every time I used the internet with any vigor, my machine would shut down for no adequately explained reason. As it turned out, the PCI slot my ethernet card was plugged into had gone bad, and the attempt to use the broken pin was resulting in a severe hardware failure. It's very, very unusual, but occasionally happens.

Well, I have no idea where my motherboard is still. :o
This is weird. I don't see any capacitors or anything. (well, the tiny ones, but again, nothing is coming out of any of them!)
I'll run the HDD and MEMtest things and see what comes up!

I will see what's around!
There's plenty of people "for the environment!" here, so I'm sure I'll find someone that could properly get rid of any type of waste.

SabZero
Mar 19, 2010, 03:07 AM
Great ^^

The main- or motherboard is the piece whereupon everything else is assembled. It's the flat sheet of circuits that fills out the bottom of the laptop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard

Volcompat321
Mar 19, 2010, 03:59 PM
Oh okay, so it's just a huge thing.
Well, I took it apart again, and nothing was oozing or anything. Nothing looked burnt out, fried, missing, nothing out of the ordinary. (to my eyes...which isn't saying much since I don't know what it's supposed to look like).

As for the HDD Reg thing...I put it on a flash drive, and nothing happens.
I have dual boot because of the Nintendo WiFi thing, so nothing shows up cept that.

I'll have to make a bootable disk.

I've also found a place to recycle the laptop when I'm done with it!

Our local dump actually takes care of them. I asked them a bunch of questions that made me sound like an environment nut, but they assured me they would dispose of it properly due to environmental laws, and fines they would get if they didn't!

So, they only care because they have to, but at least it wont hurt the Earth, right?! :D