PDA

View Full Version : Falling...

TalHex
Apr 12, 2010, 03:32 PM
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned. It continued falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse. I have tried to speculate where it might have landed, but I must admit that such conjecture is futile. Still, questions about whose hands might one day hold my Myst book are unsettling to me. I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written.

http://home.flash.net/~rayearle/Mfiles/Myst.jpg

Mysterious-G
Apr 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
You want to hold myst? Don't make me blush, why you. :shy:

Outrider
Apr 12, 2010, 04:22 PM
I always enjoyed the narrative and general vibe of the original Myst.

It was just so darn creepy and unsettling.

Even though you didn't really interact with any of the other characters all that much, I always had the sensation that somebody was going to sneak up and startle me.

astuarlen
Apr 12, 2010, 05:32 PM
I always enjoyed the narrative and general vibe of the original Myst.

It was just so darn creepy and unsettling.

Even though you didn't really interact with any of the other characters all that much, I always had the sensation that somebody was going to sneak up and startle me.

Yep. I have the soundtrack CD around here somewhere... listen to it every so often, and it's satisfyingly moody and eerie.

Also, I read a D'ni book once when I was home with the flu in HS. Ordinarily, I wouldn't go in for the video game or movie spinoff novels, but it was pretty good. I think. I can't be sure, because I might have been a bit feverish.

TalHex
Apr 12, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I got all five games several years back in a pack for like $20. Best $20 I've ever spent, and I still have my original copy of myst in my house somewhere. First videogame I ever played.

Still haunts me today.

Palle
Apr 12, 2010, 08:50 PM
I'm listening to the soundtrack now, curse you. Good stuff, games were different then.

TalHex
Apr 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hell, everything was different. Game developers had to be creative to keep our attention back then, they couldn't rely on the flashy graphics of today to sell their games.

I dunno... I'm beginning to take the mind set that games now a days just aren't worth the money... I look at that $60 price tag and can't help but thing, 'eh, I'll wait so I can buy it used at half price'

Palle
Apr 12, 2010, 09:06 PM
...I look at that $60 price tag and can't help but thing, 'eh, I'll wait so I can buy it used at half price'...
Yep, that's been my thinking for some time. Being tied to the industry, I'm [like most of us here] always bombarded with data/media on the next big thing, and my reply is almost always 'meh'.

The last money I spent on games was I think over at GOG.

astuarlen
Apr 12, 2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I got all five games several years back in a pack for like $20. Best $20 I've ever spent, and I still have my original copy of myst in my house somewhere. First videogame I ever played.

Still haunts me today.

I did Myst through Exile, but I couldn't get into the Uru titles (the controls were that painful for me). I'm both chagrined and excited to discover that there are actual fourth and fifth installments in the Myst series proper, and I will have to seriously contemplate getting in on that action. Always thought the environments in these games were hardcore gorgeous.

Outrider
Apr 12, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hell, everything was different. Game developers had to be creative to keep our attention back then, they couldn't rely on the flashy graphics of today to sell their games.

It's funny you mention that, as Myst had the "flashiest graphics" at the time, which is one reason why it sold so well. All their fancy Quicktime movies were really impressive back in the day.

The last time I really played Myst was when I found it 6 or 7 years back for Saturn. It was $3, so I picked it up and started playing. I got to that damn underground mine cart puzzle and gave up.

I've never finished the game before, but I'll have to play through it one of these days. I've got the PC version sitting around, so I'll probably play it on Windows.

TalHex
Apr 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
If you still have the saturn, play it on that. I don't think it works worth crap on the PC any more, at least not if you have XP. XP also had a lot of problems with Riven, but everything after that played exceptionally well.

Outrider
Apr 12, 2010, 10:10 PM
Eh, I'd have to dig out the Saturn to do that.

I'll just give it a shot someday in Windows 7's compatibility mode.

Zeek123
Apr 12, 2010, 10:14 PM
If you still have the saturn, play it on that. I don't think it works worth crap on the PC any more, at least not if you have XP. XP also had a lot of problems with Riven, but everything after that played exceptionally well.

Couldn't you just use OS emulation?

Correct me if I'm wrong, that just comes to mind.