PDA

View Full Version : complates about now Quick Menu.

johnwolf
Apr 15, 2010, 09:35 PM
ok, im hearing this A LOT. the fact most people who complain this DIDN'T READ THE MANUAL. listen, if you want to change weapons fast do this. R+start, it'll bring you RIGHT to the equipment menu. the Quickmenu in PSO was pritty bad actualy and you STILL had to shift through all the trash. the reason you had a small selection was it had a set limit of 30 items. i don't remember what the max invitory is on PSZ but i'm at 80 right now. the point being is that Fairly quick access is still there. infact, i swich so fast between my foie and Lavathein, i'm ready for combat as soon as i press START.

Cruciarius
Apr 15, 2010, 09:54 PM
And L+start is quick access to mates, fluids, etc.

Both of these tips/reminders are mentioned to new players frequently.

Nick O'Demus
Apr 15, 2010, 09:57 PM
"Tips/small things people often overlook"
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171967

This thread should be required reading for new players.

FOmarRashidi
Apr 15, 2010, 11:14 PM
L+Start is also good for forces. Don't be running around on fire because you don't have anti on your palette. Push L+start and use an atomizer already.

johnwolf
Apr 16, 2010, 12:38 AM
L+Start is also good for forces. Don't be running around on fire because you don't have anti on your palette. Push L+start and use an atomizer already.

true but L+start are for items in jeneral. if you press R+Start it brings up the Equip menu. perfict for RAngers and HUnters alike.

FOmarRashidi
Apr 16, 2010, 12:50 AM
true but L+start are for items in jeneral. if you press R+Start it brings up the Equip menu. perfict for RAngers and HUnters alike.

What I said was an add-on to Cruciarius's comment about L+start so yeah; I'm aware of that.

kirtblue
Apr 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
OMG!!!! i got like 430 hours logged and i didnt know this i feel like such a tard

Kent
Apr 16, 2010, 10:17 PM
Kinda wish there was a quick menu for techniques - I used that thing extensively in PSO, and I don't particularly like the idea of having to switch around my palette every time I want to cast a technique I don't have on it (part of the reason I haven't picked this up yet, though I'm still considering getting it soon-ish).

kirtblue
Apr 18, 2010, 06:35 PM
yeah switching your pallet is annoying but most the time you only need to change one or two you should definitely get this game for the price this game cant be beat

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
sure, the 2 quick menus we have are nice but, not having a tech quick menu is the really annoying part, just like kent, i use that thing all the time in pso, and cant switch pallet during battle easily, and i luved the quick menu in pso, all the menus were there. also i wish the menus were touch screen controlled so i could move during battle, that would make it better

johnwolf
Apr 21, 2010, 12:53 AM
the only place where you would need to change your pallat constantly in battle is ET. though if you think about it, having a quick access to techs in this game wouldn't make sence. having quick access to Pallate swap would.

Dragwind
Apr 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
The problem here is that the PSZ shortcut menu requires you to stand still while in PSO you could move around while going through the menu. The PSO quick menus allowed you to skip through the trash items actually, you could sort through just weapons, or techs, etc.

Kent
Apr 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
See, that sounds like a design flaw inherent to the quick menus in Phantasy Star Zero.

Though the game seems to have done decently well (http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?game1=Phantasy Star Zero - DS[26763]) in sales, maybe we'll see something a little more free if they happen to make a sequel on the 3DS or something.

It just seems like a pretty terrible idea to include a good range of techniques (or other abilities) without giving any real sort of freedom for using them. This was a huge design flaw in Phantasy Star Universe, too, particularly with Techniques.

johnwolf
Apr 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
in PSU you could only stack 2 techs on a weapon. but you can hold up to 6 weapons, in realty, that's more that enuff.

Dragwind
Apr 22, 2010, 05:31 AM
Playing a teching class in PSU you can easily cover all the types of techs you need for a mission in your palete with no problems. Pairing a tech-mag + wand or a rod in a slot gives you 4 techs per slot, 6 slots total.

Playing a hybrid class is a totally different story though as you would need to know the mission beforehand, but after many updates attack techs on a hybrid class was almost pointless anyhow.

No matter what the situation you were in with PSO, you could just quickly scroll the quick menu and use the techs you didn't already have set up. To make it easier you could organize the menu the techs you use more often at the top and bottom of the quick menu for easy access.

This is why in PSZ I feel this was yet again another big step backwards in gameplay since they just made it even more limited.

Kent
Apr 22, 2010, 02:04 PM
in PSU you could only stack 2 techs on a weapon. but you can hold up to 6 weapons, in realty, that's more that enuff.
In reality, it's still a huge design flaw because techniques are dependant on having specific weapons equipped - especially if you're playing any technique-using type that wasn't a pure caster. Ideally, the two should be independant: They're tools that have different uses - if you're talking about just caster weapons, then there's room for diversity there, too... Different stat bonuses, casting speed bonuses/penalties, etc., but there's no real reason to restrict the player into absolutely having to have one of these weapons equipped in order to use an ability that has no real reason to be tied weapon itself. At least, none that don't lend themselves to a bevy of mechnical, balance and gameplay issues that revolve around making the UI more of a foe than the resident beasties.

The fact that areas had a severe imbalance in enemy elemental weaknesses both helped and hindered here - on one hand, you could just equip the techniques needed for the area, but on the other hand, it gets pretty boring just spamming Diga ad-nauseum. The entire system surrounding techniques in PSU is glaringly flawed, because it took away one of the things that its superior predecessor did so well - making different techniques functionally different, rather than "same thing, different element."

Recycling so much crap so that everything really feels the same is a pretty easy way to make the game become sharply uninteresting very quickly. When you have a lot of tools in your arsenal, and actually have to think of how to use them properly, things get a lot more interesting, and a lot more fun for the player. The same thing could be said for weapons in general in PSU, but I think I'll end my mini-rant here.