PDA

View Full Version : I am officially on MH Tri.

DragonStriker
Apr 20, 2010, 05:22 PM
For anyone who's playing the game, my name is Alpal. If you dislike me feel free to harass me....

Please and thanks.

Mighty Earth Sage
Apr 20, 2010, 05:27 PM
sup Alpal?

you gonna be back on PSU any time soon?

DragonStriker
Apr 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
I have no idea.

milranduil
Apr 20, 2010, 06:00 PM
inb4 this topic gets moved lol.

DragonStriker
Apr 20, 2010, 06:18 PM
I don't really care :0

marsprite
Apr 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
T.T
now I have to buy a Wii, and that makes my wallet a sad wallet

DragonStriker
Apr 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
T.T
now I have to buy a Wii, and that makes my wallet a sad wallet

Har har.....Follow your master and use your money to do his bidding.

Kizeragi
Apr 20, 2010, 08:28 PM
MH Tri ftw! I got the game also, but EU version. (Was lucky enough to get it early.. xD)
Playing the offline (town) quests first, so I'll be online in a few days or so.

The game is reminding me of the PS2 MH, which is a good thing. =P

Sayara
Apr 20, 2010, 08:34 PM
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TALKING HERE!?
GO BACK TO TRI!

Randomness
Apr 20, 2010, 08:39 PM
How is it? Been considering it off and on, but have never touched MH before.

Palle
Apr 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I've been hoping for others here to post screens or videos, since this is the first MonHan I will have to skip.

DragonStriker
Apr 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
Well just started but the 5,000+ people that I have seen seem to indicate sales wise it's done well.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 20, 2010, 09:04 PM
this game looks so cool im getin it tomorrow with classic controller! it still annoys me that theres a stamina bar (i cant stand stamina bars at least in shadow of the collosus they worked pretty well)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
-

Spider-Man 4 unofficially mangled.

-

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TALKING HERE!?
GO BACK TO TRI!

He was officially on PSOW for like a second to talk to PSYOU weirdoes.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
I wound up getting it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

There's actually some resource management that you run in the background that seems pretty cool.

Classic Controller Pro is the unholy union of the PS2 controller and the Classic Controller. It works, but it's not great and it's light enough that it feels cheap.

And oh man, this game needs a lock-on. Remember back in the late 90s, when 3D action games first became big? And you'd hit the attack button and your character would just start attacking straight into the air as the enemy wanders off? And then remember when Ocarina of Time came out with the Z-targeting, and the entire industry said, "Oh my God, why have we been so stupid?" And then nobody bothered with non-lock-on combat (including PSO?)

Yeah, it feels like I'm playing a game with a combat camera from 1997. It's awful.

Cue the blindly-loyal MH veterans in 3, 2, 1...

Water combat was fun, though.

Kenbog
Apr 21, 2010, 12:18 AM

There's actually some resource management that you run in the background that seems pretty cool.

Classic Controller Pro is the unholy union of the PS2 controller and the Classic Controller. It works, but it's not great and it's light enough that it feels cheap.

And oh man, this game needs a lock-on. Remember back in the late 90s, when 3D action games first became big? And you'd hit the attack button and your character would just start attacking straight into the air as the enemy wanders off? And then remember when Ocarina of Time came out with the Z-targeting, and the entire industry said, "Oh my God, why have we been so stupid?" And then nobody bothered with non-lock-on combat (including PSO?)

Yeah, it feels like I'm playing a game with a combat camera from 1997. It's awful.

They doesnt use lock on because you have to hit various parts of the monsters like the head for easy faster kills (most of the time),the tail to cut it off to get extra carves and so on.
Its something you have to get used to but it will grow on you if you played it enough.

Anyway you will see me around monster hunter tri~ as well, getting it friday when my copy arrives at the European stores (at least it does not take 2 months after US release like most of the games, yes I am looking at you; psu and aoti)

Retniwreven
Apr 21, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm sticking with my PSP, personally. Unite and... whatever the new one that's going to come out is called, all the way. >w<

Outrider
Apr 21, 2010, 12:36 AM
They doesnt use lock on because you have to hit various parts of the monsters like the head for easy faster kills (most of the time),the tail to cut it off to get extra carves and so on.

There is no reason, nor has there every been any reason, why this would prevent a lock-on from working. This argument has never made sense.

Countless games have managed to use some form of lock-on in addition to differentiating between multiple hit boxes on an enemy. The aforementioned Ocarina of Time - the game that popularized 3D action lock-on in 1998 - did this during the last boss fight.

Regardless, any programmer or designer worth their salaries should be able to develop a camera system that stays focused on an enemy's general position while still allowing for player error to make them miss the specific, targeted body part. Any good designer would figure out what is a fairly simple problem instead of just saying "Nope, I can't think of an easy 5-minute way to do it, so let's ignore it over and over and over again."

I've said it before and apparently it needs to be repeated, but Monster Hunter needs its Resident Evil 4. It's another Capcom franchise that was certainly fun, but its gameplay mechanics have been held back to the point where only a drastically altered sequel can possibly allow the series to properly evolve.

Vanzazikon
Apr 21, 2010, 02:34 AM
I was online for like 2 minutes. Went back offline to continue gathering. I like that you can just leave the village and go into the woods without accepting a quest to do so. Plus no time limits. Also loved how it changes from day to night without a quest too.

Yeah, you probably would want a Keyboard or a mic for online. Makes things much easier. (Inputing letters with the ingame keyboard is a pain.)

WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT?

TalHex
Apr 21, 2010, 06:41 AM
There is no reason, nor has there every been any reason, why this would prevent a lock-on from working. This argument has never made sense.

Countless games have managed to use some form of lock-on in addition to differentiating between multiple hit boxes on an enemy. The aforementioned Ocarina of Time - the game that popularized 3D action lock-on in 1998 - did this during the last boss fight.

Regardless, any programmer or designer worth their salaries should be able to develop a camera system that stays focused on an enemy's general position while still allowing for player error to make them miss the specific, targeted body part. Any good designer would figure out what is a fairly simple problem instead of just saying "Nope, I can't think of an easy 5-minute way to do it, so let's ignore it over and over and over again."

I've said it before and apparently it needs to be repeated, but Monster Hunter needs its Resident Evil 4. It's another Capcom franchise that was certainly fun, but its gameplay mechanics have been held back to the point where only a drastically altered sequel can possibly allow the series to properly evolve.

I'm agreeing with outrider here... there is absolutely no reason not to have lock on combat. Technically, all you would have to do is create a system that locked on to the various parts of the monster individual. Hell if you were worried that would be too easy, you don't even have to provide a 'lock-cursor' just get the character aiming in the general direction of the target.

Outrider
Apr 21, 2010, 12:55 PM
WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT?

I mostly blame my upbringing.

Does anybody want to give this a shot online at some point? I'm only a few hours in and would probably just hold the party back (plus I don't have the Wii Speak), but I'd be up for giving this a shot.

Zeek123
Apr 21, 2010, 01:59 PM

Yeah... We've beat this horse to death, huh?

Sorry to hear about the classic controller though. Nintendo could've added rumble or something to make it not so cheap feeling/looking.

Donnikun
Apr 21, 2010, 06:15 PM
im on MH3 as well, on there mas name is Donald, well i alwats use my first name if i can lol, see you in the field, i already killed me numberus Jaggis, and i wear their hides in a full Jaggi armor set

Volcompat321
Apr 21, 2010, 06:22 PM
I was watching a couple friends play MH3.
I cant afford it right now, but I'll probably be getting it sometime soon.
I'll figure a way out.

I'm going to go to my friends house now to watch them play it.
We got 4 Wii's in the same damn room. It's ridiculous.

DragonStriker
Apr 21, 2010, 06:38 PM
Like I said in the opening my name is Alpal there, so just drop me a line. And Patrik and that one guy who doesn't really exist should get on MH aswell so I have someone to mock.

Lastly Donald, if you read this today I'll gladly run some quests with you tonight, I'm only a couple hours in aswell.

Volcompat321
Apr 21, 2010, 06:46 PM
Guy who doesn't exist? :o

Uh yea, I'll get on soon enough. I'll do something to get a copy.
I'll be making Sieno (as I always do) so she isn't dying with PSU!

DragonStriker
Apr 21, 2010, 07:24 PM
Guy who doesn't exist? :o

Uh yea, I'll get on soon enough. I'll do something to get a copy.
I'll be making Sieno (as I always do) so she isn't dying with PSU!

I meant that Zeek guy, he doesn't exist.

Volcompat321
Apr 21, 2010, 07:40 PM
Oh, he doesn't? :o

DragonStriker
Apr 21, 2010, 11:15 PM
Oh, he doesn't? :o

Who doesn't what?

Zeek123
Apr 22, 2010, 03:51 AM
I meant that Zeek guy, he doesn't exist.

Who's this guy? Tell him to go back to PSU Gen.

Volcompat321
Apr 22, 2010, 11:50 AM
PSU Gen is dead to me. :x

Also, Alpal is an elk.
I seent it.

Zeek123
Apr 22, 2010, 10:56 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpsk82kZXM1qzggl7o1_500.png

Volcompat321
Apr 23, 2010, 07:43 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpsk82kZXM1qzggl7o1_500.png

Exactly.