PDA

View Full Version : The Dualshock

Outrider
Apr 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
I guess this is as good a place to ask as any:

Why do you hate the Dualshock so much Outrider?

Is it the wings?

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant:

[spoiler-box]It's simply not designed with gameplay in mind. It's a completely middle-of-the-road accessory that works fine for any game you could want, but it never works perfectly.

The analog sticks are centered, despite the fact that the d-pad is far less relevant in this day and age. The primary analog stick should be prioritized into the top position, as it is on the Xbox and Gamecube controllers.

The secondary shoulder buttons on the PS1/PS2 controllers were uncomfortably placed and out of place, though the new triggers on the PS3 controller have solved that problem admirably.

The segmented d-pad and distant, flat face buttons don't really help either. These areas of the controller should make it easy for you to roll your thumb from one button to the next, but there are no concessions to this fact.

Honestly, it's an entirely adequate controller, but it was outdated by the time the PS2 rolled around and it embarrasses me that people claim it's some amazing controller. And yeah, it's not as ergonomic as some of its competitors, but I spent enough years with the original boxy NES controller to not really care too much about that.

Take a look at the Gamecube controller. It has it's problems (lack of buttons, tiny d-pad and c-stick), but it's surprisingly ahead of its time. You have the prioritized analog stick and large molded analog shoulder buttons. Even better, you have the enlarged A button with the B/X/Y buttons wrapped around it, built specifically to address two points: First, most games have you using (or at least focusing on) one button for the majority of the time; and second, that action-oriented games require you to quickly move your thumb off of one button onto the next. The face buttons were designed specifically so that you have a home position (A button) and then you just have to shift your thumb slightly to hit any of the surrounding buttons. I'd wager that it helped newcomers more than old-school gamers (as we're used to hitting similar buttons that are spaced away from each other without looking), but it's really an impressive design decision. My two biggest recommendations are either Soul Calibur 2 or one of the Tony Hawk games. Both feel as if they were built for the Gamecube's controller.

(It's because of my love the GCN controller that it bothers me how poor the Classic Controller is. Yeah, I get that it's basically an SNES controller, which works fine for most Virtual Console games, but it doesn't do a great job for Wii games that use it. Then you see the Classic Controller Pro, which is specifically designed for modern Wii games and as a result doesn't really need to conform to classic controller design, and they decide to just make it an ugly PS2 controller.)

My personal favorite is the Xbox 360 controller, though. Yeah, it's got a god-awful d-pad, but everything else is just about perfect. It's got a prioritized primary analog stick and both sticks have concave tips, allowing you to actually have a place to put your thumb. The triggers are both comfortably placed and allow you to use the front shoulder buttons as secondary controls (which makes more sense to my giant hands.) Unfortunately, they don't have the prioritized face buttons, but the buttons are large and rounded off, giving you more of a tactile safety net when switching from button to button. In addition to this, they're all color-coded to make things easier for newcomers. (When my friend asks how to jump in Halo, I can just say "green." It's much easier than asking them to read the label on the button.)

Heck, give me enough time, I could go on about the excellence (three prongs aside) of the N64 controller and how important it was to controller design.[/spoiler-box]

tl;dr version: I'm perfectly happy using the Dualshock for most games, but it shouldn't be the industry standard. It does nothing more than retard the evolution of controller design.

It's basically the console gaming equivalent of a standard keyboard. It's designed for basic utility instead of gameplay sensibilities.

Zeek123
Apr 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
Sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant:

[spoiler-box]It's simply not designed with gameplay in mind. It's a completely middle-of-the-road accessory that works fine for any game you could want, but it never works perfectly.

The analog sticks are centered, despite the fact that the d-pad is far less relevant in this day and age. The primary analog stick should be prioritized into the top position, as it is on the Xbox and Gamecube controllers.

The secondary shoulder buttons on the PS1/PS2 controllers were uncomfortably placed and out of place, though the new triggers on the PS3 controller have solved that problem admirably.

The segmented d-pad and distant, flat face buttons don't really help either. These areas of the controller should make it easy for you to roll your thumb from one button to the next, but there are no concessions to this fact.

Honestly, it's an entirely adequate controller, but it was outdated by the time the PS2 rolled around and it embarrasses me that people claim it's some amazing controller. And yeah, it's not as ergonomic as some of its competitors, but I spent enough years with the original boxy NES controller to not really care too much about that.

Take a look at the Gamecube controller. It has it's problems (lack of buttons, tiny d-pad and c-stick), but it's surprisingly ahead of its time. You have the prioritized analog stick and large molded analog shoulder buttons. Even better, you have the enlarged A button with the B/X/Y buttons wrapped around it, built specifically to address two points: First, most games have you using (or at least focusing on) one button for the majority of the time; and second, that action-oriented games require you to quickly move your thumb off of one button onto the next. The face buttons were designed specifically so that you have a home position (A button) and then you just have to shift your thumb slightly to hit any of the surrounding buttons. I'd wager that it helped newcomers more than old-school gamers (as we're used to hitting similar buttons that are spaced away from each other without looking), but it's really an impressive design decision. My two biggest recommendations are either Soul Calibur 2 or one of the Tony Hawk games. Both feel as if they were built for the Gamecube's controller.

(It's because of my love the GCN controller that it bothers me how poor the Classic Controller is. Yeah, I get that it's basically an SNES controller, which works fine for most Virtual Console games, but it doesn't do a great job for Wii games that use it. Then you see the Classic Controller Pro, which is specifically designed for modern Wii games and as a result doesn't really need to conform to classic controller design, and they decide to just make it an ugly PS2 controller.)

My personal favorite is the Xbox 360 controller, though. Yeah, it's got a god-awful d-pad, but everything else is just about perfect. It's got a prioritized primary analog stick and both sticks have concave tips, allowing you to actually have a place to put your thumb. The triggers are both comfortably placed and allow you to use the front shoulder buttons as secondary controls (which makes more sense to my giant hands.) Unfortunately, they don't have the prioritized face buttons, but the buttons are large and rounded off, giving you more of a tactile safety net when switching from button to button. In addition to this, they're all color-coded to make things easier for newcomers. (When my friend asks how to jump in Halo, I can just say "green." It's much easier than asking them to read the label on the button.)

Heck, give me enough time, I could go on about the excellence (three prongs aside) of the N64 controller and how important it was to controller design.[/spoiler-box]

tl;dr version: I'm perfectly happy using the Dualshock for most games, but it shouldn't be the industry standard. It does nothing more than retard the evolution of controller design.

It's basically the console gaming equivalent of a standard keyboard. It's designed for basic utility instead of gameplay sensibilities.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who loved the GCN pad. After the Wavebird hit, I played my GCN way more than I ever had been. I really do wish the GCN pad was the default for non-motion control games.

Anyway, none of your knocks against the Dualshock are without merit. I'm just glad Sony decided to ditch the boomerang idea they were kicking around ^^;

As much as I dislike the 360, I have to admit the controller is incredibly comfortable. Though like you said, the D-Pad is horrendous. Tried playing Mortal Kombat with it... didn't work out so well. I also don't like the beady face buttons, but that's a personal taste.

Thanks for your slight on the Dualshock. I'd have to agree it works as a standard, but doesn't do much else.

Outrider
Apr 22, 2010, 11:43 PM
OH GOD IT BECAME A LITERAL RANT.

Well, might as well add in the usual tags.

Zeek123
Apr 22, 2010, 11:45 PM
I know, right? Messed with my head for a second there.

amtalx
Apr 23, 2010, 12:13 AM
How could you not mention the god-awful psudo-triggers on the DualShock3? It's like a regular button and a real trigger decided to have a baby, but miscarried.

Anyway, I actually hated the GC controller, but mostly because I have gorilla hands and that controller was way too small. To give you an idea, I actually liked the mutant first gen Xbox controllers with the obnoxious orb in the middle.

As with most, I favor the 360 controller over anything else. I have an arcade stick, so the D-pad doesn't give me issues in fighting games. I bought one for just that reason though. Before I got it, all my fighting games were on PS3.

As far as bad controllers go, I am the unfortunate owner of a Jaguar. That controller is downright masochistic.

Outrider
Apr 23, 2010, 12:23 AM
Oh God, the Jaguar.

I remember the games came with little paper frames for the number pad on the bottom half of the controller so you could actually figure out what each one did.

But more on-topic - I'm actually a much bigger fan of the PS3 triggers than the old PS2 secondary shoulder buttons. I think it's clear from my rant that I'm all about prioritized button placement, and I never felt like the PS1/PS2 shoulder buttons had a clear winner on that front.

And I also have massive hands and find that they fit perfectly with the Gamecube controller. We will have to compare each other's kindergarten plaster handprints to determine who has the larger hands.

http://blog.craftzine.com/handprint.jpg

That... that's not actually mine. My name is not Emily.

EDIT: But oh man - how can we be complaining about bad controllers without mentioning the Virtual Boy?

http://www.nowgamer.com/static/images/feature/612/390_11044_controller.jpg

I played many a VB game and I can't remember for the life of me what that second d-pad was for.

AC9breaker
Apr 23, 2010, 05:41 AM
Holy crap. The virtual boy control had TWO D-Pads? I feel like Neo after he took the blue pill.

CupOfCoffee
May 10, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty sure only two of the Virtual Boy's 15-some games used the second D-Pad. That flying game, Red Alarm (or something like that), and... I want to say the pinball one let you do one flipper with each D-pad, but I might just be making that up. I think the Angry Video Game Nerd review of Virtual Boy mentioned what the other one was.

Outrider
May 10, 2010, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure only two of the Virtual Boy's 15-some games used the second D-Pad. That flying game, Red Alarm (or something like that), and... I want to say the pinball one let you do one flipper with each D-pad, but I might just be making that up. I think the Angry Video Game Nerd review of Virtual Boy mentioned what the other one was.

Oh yeah, that's right. If I recall correctly, Red Alarm allowed you to "shift" your ship in various directions by tapping the right d-pad.

That was actually a pretty cool feature.

Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and that was another game.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 14, 2010, 01:56 AM
Holy crap. The virtual boy control had TWO D-Pads? I feel like Neo after he took the blue pill.
That actually would have been pretty cool for the kids to not have to buy two controllers to co-op Contra them dudes. Bad dudes them ninjas. Turtle the ninjas to kill the bad dudes.

Or any other badassninjaturtlecontradoubledragondudes 2 player games.

(Megaman 2 saving them from death pits that turned off the sound was also a cool part of using 2 controllers)

Less than half as crazy as the two N64 controller configuration types on that Goldeneye Nintendo 64!!

Outrider
May 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
That actually would have been pretty cool for the kids to not have to buy two controllers to co-op Contra them dudes. Bad dudes them ninjas. Turtle the ninjas to kill the bad dudes.

Now I'm just picturing two kids trying to squeeze their heads together so they can each have one eye looking into the Virtual Boy.

It's a weird image.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah, the proprietary screen. Mandatory.

So what we're missing is Virtual Boy double D-Pad controller for use on NES console.