PDA

View Full Version : SoA, SoE: Prepare For the Shaft!?!

buzyb77
Apr 23, 2010, 03:07 AM
it has Been announced that Sega is Cutting it's Staff yet again in Europe and the us

http://kotaku.com/5522373/seventy+three-sega-employees-restructured-out-of-their-jobs

Staff cuts have struck Sega London and San Francisco today, as an email from Corporate Operations Officer Masanao Maeda informs employees of the termination of a combined 73 positions between the two locations.

In the email, forwarded to Kotaku from several different sources today, Maeda cites a reorganization of Sega's business in the American and EMEA markets in order to improve efficiency and deal with a changing video game industry as the reason behind the cutting of 36 San Francisco and 37 London employees.

We've reproduced the email below.

"To SEGA employees:

As many of you already know, today SEGA will implement a reorganization of its businesses within the American and EMEA markets. The restructure reflects both the changing face of the global video games market and a need to improve efficiencies within the operation. As a consequence of this reorganization, the company has made the reluctant decision to reduce headcount by 36 employees in the San Francisco offices and 37 in London.

Unfortunately for the employees affected by the reduction in our workforce, these meetings will take place this morning. Please be available in case you are called to a meeting with your department head. I also ask that everyone please be understanding of the situation and sensitive to your friends and colleagues during this difficult time.

All other meetings will be cancelled and I will let everyone know later this morning when the layoffs are complete.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Sincerely,

Maeda"

A rather unpleasant email to find in your inbox when you arrive for work in the morning, which doubtlessly led to it being forwarded to us via multiple sources.

We've contacted Sega for comment on the email and layoffs, but have yet to get a response as of this posting.

Update: A Sega spokesperson had the following to say regarding the layoffs:

"As of today SEGA will implement a re-organisation of its businesses within the American and EMEA markets. The restructure reflects both the changing face of the global video games market and a need to improve efficiencies within the operation.

"In recent years, digital platforms have taken an increasing share of video gaming revenues and we believe this growth is set to continue. SEGA has already enjoyed commercial success within this new and exciting gaming medium and it is now the company's intention to fully embrace change and set a strategy not only to maximise revenues within the digital space but, through innovation and quality, take up a leadership position. Therefore, the company will be creating a new Digital division which will be based out of SEGA's San Francisco offices. In a similar move to drive efficiencies for the company, SEGA's London office will now act as a hub for the traditional console and PC side of the business.

"As a consequence of this re-organisation, the company has made the reluctant decision to reduce headcount by 36 employees in the San Francisco offices and 37 in London.

"The management team are confident that these necessary steps will benefit the company and allow it to continue to grow and adapt to the rapidly changing market.

"More details of the restructured organisation will be given over the coming weeks

.................................................. .....

again odds are Sega Days are numbered

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 04:32 AM
RubyEclipse AKA Castor AKA Aaron Webber is one of the 36 who were layed off. This does not bode well for the US version of PSU. As he was one of the game's most vocal supporters at the company. And, (in my opinion) one of the reasons that it has yet to be totally shut down in the US.

darthplagis
Apr 23, 2010, 04:57 AM
damn that sucks, i can understand getting rid of physical distribution staff as the games industry is going along the digital distribution path..... but yeah Ruby was/is an important voice for our community, the current (global) economical situation wont be helping anyone either SEGA will be feeling the pinch just like the rest of us.

i really hope Zantra is wrong about Ruby (im not saying it in a bad way Zantra :)) though but aaarrrggghhh I dont wanna play PSU in japanese :(

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 05:00 AM
I wish I was too... but, i'm his friend on facebook, and they got rid of almost everyone. Including him.

darthplagis
Apr 23, 2010, 05:34 AM
DAMN!

ok unless SOJ has got some translators in full time (hmm yeah right) and the digital distribution team (what like 10 or so people left in SOA office now?) are getting the stuff ready, we are screwed royally.

OR they are making PSU JP international? or one big full update for xbox with obvious rotations and seasonal stuff as usual? (the latter would make us on par with JP PSU except seasonal events like ice event and arms race)

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 05:50 AM
Sega of America is now Sega of Europe, and will not only handle distribution of disc based releases, but also (I assume) the translation and testing of not only the European versions of Sega games, but also of United States games, also. The new Sega of America only handles digital releases, like Ipod games, and PSN and Xbox live releases.

Palle
Apr 23, 2010, 05:53 AM
Didn't think I'd actually be right about PSU outlasting SoA...

Tetsaru
Apr 23, 2010, 06:14 AM
LMAO, wow...

It's like I've been saying all along - you don't listen to your customers, they'll find another business to give their money to, and this is the proof.

And all this crap about reorganizing their staff to account for "a new digital medium"... what the fuck ever. Just listen to your customers and make games that people will LIKE, that aren't tainted with random bullshit, geez...

Oh well, good riddance. One more nail in the coffin for Sega, if you ask me.

My condolences to RubyEclipse though; he seemed like a cool guy from what little I saw of him in-game. At least he won't have to be one of Sega's pawns anymore... =x

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 06:33 AM
Ruby is a really cool guy, and I actually think he's considering moving to Europe, in the hopes that Sega will re-hire him.

darthplagis
Apr 23, 2010, 06:45 AM
oh, so SOA/SOE merger for non digital media sounds interesting..... simultanious western translations and releases can only be a good thing right?

hopefully that means faster JP to EU/US translation due to more immediate access! so we may be getting PSU updates faster that way, SOE can give SOA the translated data to distribute via its sources (xbl, psn, ipod apps)

on a side note we may actually have correct spelling too colour and armour or example LOL (ah you rebellious colonists and simple spelling hmmm)

Max B
Apr 23, 2010, 06:48 AM
oh, so SOA/SOE merger for non digital media sounds interesting..... simultanious western translations and releases can only be a good thing right?

hopefully that means faster JP to EU/US translation due to more immediate access! so we may be getting PSU updates faster that way, SOE can give SOA the translated data to distribute via its sources (xbl, psn, ipod apps)

on a side note we may actually have correct spelling too colour and armour or example LOL (ah you rebellious colonists and simple spelling hmmm)

Yes I see this as a very good thing for us.

Neith
Apr 23, 2010, 06:51 AM
Really doesn't surprise me at all. SEGA have done very poorly over the last few years, and as we saw on PSU, the support the game received was minimal at best.

As for Ruby getting laid off, it comes as no surprise. I'm not sure what his official title was, but it didn't seem like he was integral to SoA.

Hopefully this streamlining will improve quality control, but I doubt it.

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 06:52 AM
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=325320
Take a look at post #2 in this thread.

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 06:53 AM

If the u is silent... why do we need to see it? Why do we even need silent letters at all? Just take the damn things out I say! Viva America! lol

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 06:55 AM
Really doesn't surprise me at all. SEGA have done very poorly over the last few years, and as we saw on PSU, the support the game received was minimal at best.

As for Ruby getting laid off, it comes as no surprise. I'm not sure what his official title was, but it didn't seem like he was integral to SoA.

Hopefully this streamlining will improve quality control, but I doubt it.

He was a community manager. Like a booth babe/PR person. He represented Sega to the public, and vice versa.

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 07:00 AM
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=325320
Take a look at post #2 in this thread.

Yeah... PSU still exists, because nothing has changed. Sega is still Sega. 70+ people were fired, and North America only handles digital releases of games and content... But, besides that business as usual.

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah... PSU still exists, because nothing has changed. Sega is still Sega. 70+ people were fired, and North America only handles digital releases of games and content... But, besides that business as usual.I was more interested in this part:

"all of the staff you know through our blogs, forums, and PSU -- our Community team, in short -- are still here."

If Ruby was fired this statement would be a lie. I'm not questioning whether or not he was fired, but we seem to have conflicting reports.

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 07:16 AM
Well, I have Aaron's Facebook status updates, and photo album entitled "Farewell Sega" as my proof. His newest update is 'Thinking it's about time to start planning for Europe.'

Neith
Apr 23, 2010, 07:17 AM
I was more interested in this part:

"all of the staff you know through our blogs, forums, and PSU -- our Community team, in short -- are still here."

If Ruby was fired this statement would be a lie. I'm not questioning whether or not he was fired, but we seem to have conflicting reports.

I noticed that too. Probably best to leave it until Ruby himself clears things up.

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 07:20 AM
Well, I have Aaron's Facebook status updates, and photo album entitled "Farewell Sega" as my proof.You've been around here long anough to understand why people don't just take peoples words for it. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be good for Ruby(and you since he's your "friend") if you are.

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 07:22 AM
They only layed off 36 in SOA and 37 in SOE, and they were all people that Sega thought were expendable, or in cases where several people were doing the same job. I'm not happy that Ruby and the others were layed off, i'm mad as hell. I'd post a link to his facebook, but it's blocked to anyone but friends. So, you can trust me. Or wait a few hours, and get told that I was telling the truth by Ruby himself. I have nothing to gain by lying about any of this. You can even look me up on facebook and see that Paul Tidd (me) and Aaron Webber (him) are friends on facebook. Which means I see his status updates, and the photos he posts. I of all people hope that he wasn't fired, but all of the things that he has posted on his facebook page lead me to believe that he was.

To prove that I believe that what I have said is the honest 100% truth, if Ruby comes on here, and says that he was not layed off, not only will I never post on PSO-World again, i'll ask the mods to perma ban me so that I cannot post here, even if I wanted to.

Max B
Apr 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
They only layed off 36 in SOA and 37 in SOE, and they were all people that Sega thought were expendable, or in cases where several people were doing the same job. I'm not happy that Ruby and the others were layed off, i'm mad as hell. I'd post a link to his facebook, but it's blocked to anyone but friends. So, you can trust me. Or wait a few hours, and get told that I was telling the truth by Ruby himself. I have nothing to gain by lying about any of this. You can even look me up on facebook and see that Paul Tidd (me) and Aaron Webber (him) are friends on facebook. Which means I see his status updates, and the photos he posts. I of all people hope that he wasn't fired, but all of the things that he has posted on his facebook page lead me to believe that he was.

To prove that I believe that what I have said is the honest 100% truth, if Ruby comes on here, and says that he was not layed off, not only will I never post on PSO-World again, i'll ask the mods to perma ban me so that I cannot post here, even if I wanted to.
lol Edward said Ruby is going no where

Cranberry
Apr 23, 2010, 10:13 AM
I see that Edward has verified RubyEclipse is still there.

buzyb77
Apr 23, 2010, 11:03 AM
I see that Edward has verified RubyEclipse is still there.

Really Try looking at EGM (Magazine) and its "Reorganization" Dan Shu said that the Mag was not going anywhere yet what happened to that mag?

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 11:40 AM

To prove that I believe that what I have said is the honest 100% truth, if Ruby comes on here, and says that he was not layed off, not only will I never post on PSO-World again, i'll ask the mods to perma ban me so that I cannot post here, even if I wanted to."Ruby didn't go anywhere :D" Edward has just cleared it up. Your "friend" still has his job!!!:D

Tetsaru
Apr 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
Even so, I doubt the mods can ban him under his own will. I tried doing that once with my account, and they wouldn't let me... something about they changed their policies to where they weren't supposed to or something. :confused:

Cranberry
Apr 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
Really Try looking at EGM (Magazine) and its "Reorganization" Dan Shu said that the Mag was not going anywhere yet what happened to that mag?

Are you accusing Edward of lieing or something? He flat out said on the official forums that Ruby Eclipse was still there. Considering they work together, I'd say his word is pretty credible.

Max B
Apr 23, 2010, 01:05 PM
I guess we'll never hear from you again, huh?

Lol Do you not know how to read?

Ryna
Apr 23, 2010, 01:55 PM
I hope those affected by the restructuring will be able to find other jobs fairly soon.

EDIT: Based on what I was reading, it looks like SoA's main focus now will be on Digital downloads. Will all English translations now be handled by SoE?

SpikeOtacon
Apr 23, 2010, 02:09 PM
Er, this was a bit out of left field. Sucks for the employees who are no longer with SEGA, best of luck to them.

Ryna
Apr 23, 2010, 03:42 PM

In RubyEclipse's own words:
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/04/21/so-you-want-to-work-at-sega-part-3-new-chapters-and-cake/

Comment #15:
Hi Paul, DJ,

I know there’s been a lot of confusion over the last day or so. It’s not been an easy time.

I can say that I am still here at SEGA. Clumsy, Kellie, and Edward – our blog and community team – are still here too.

Thank you guys for looking out for us though, and DJ, for the kind words.

Posted by RubyEclipse on April 23rd, 2010 at 9:55 am

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
Ryna, I'm glad you posted that. I was just about to do so myself. If people don't believe Ruby himself then there's no way that we can prove he was not fired.

Volcompat321
Apr 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
There's no reason not to believe him.
If you've heard he's been fired, it was probably some person spreading rumors about something they know nothing about.

I honestly wasn't going to take this thread seriously because of the OP.
Though I did do some research, and saw it just about everywhere else.

Palle
Apr 23, 2010, 04:02 PM
It'll be sad to see Zantra banned, but we must carry on. I'm also pleasantly surprised that the Community team was kept intact, marketing types are usually some of the first to go [right after QA] in my experience.

So I was wrong after all. :wacko:

Volcompat321
Apr 23, 2010, 04:05 PM
I don't think the mods would actually ban him, because he didn't really do anything. :wacko:

I also doubt he'd never post here again.

Also..Sorry Ryna..I kinda got carried away. :p

Volcompat321
Apr 23, 2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I agree, but I doubt it'll be done! :p

Yea, it must be a bad environment right about now. :(

I don't like SEGA much anymore, but the people deserve better.
So many people are out of jobs. :(

Tomeeboy
Apr 23, 2010, 04:28 PM
Not entirely sure what affect this is all going to have yet, but it certainly looks like Sega's making a move for a piece of the digital distribution pie. Hopefully, this will mean good things for Sega and our favorite franchises in the long run.

Regardless, the story has been front-paged:
http://www.pso-world.com/news/02262-sega-west-restructuring-layoffs-and-new-focus-digital-distribution

Zantra
Apr 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well, i'm glad he's not fired. But, his facebook led me to believe that he had been, since he was talking about moving to Europe (I guess jokingly?). The mods can make good on my promise if they want. I'll leave it up to them if they want to ban me for my misunderstanding.

Volcompat321
Apr 23, 2010, 05:22 PM
Well, i'm glad he's not fired. But, his facebook led me to believe that he had been, since he was talking about moving to Europe (I guess jokingly?). The mods can make good on my promise if they want. I'll leave it up to them if they want to ban me for my misunderstanding.

Now you want to start throwing the guilt trip on the mods.
"If they want to ban me for my misunderstanding."

I doubt you'll get banned, you didn't do anything wrong..

But just to remind you, you also said you'd stop posting. :p

Not that I want you to stop or anything, but if you're gonna make decisions like that, you should at least keep your word.

:wacko:

It's a great thing Ruby didn't get let go.
He's always trying to help everyone out. :D

Good luck to all the SEGA employees that got let go.

Cranberry
Apr 23, 2010, 07:19 PM
I sure hope this wasn't the big PSO 10th anniversary announcement. o.o

PepperCat
Apr 23, 2010, 08:20 PM
I sure hope this wasn't the big PSO 10th anniversary announcement. o.o

LOL... yeah.

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 11:20 PM
Well, i'm glad he's not fired. But, his facebook led me to believe that he had been, since he was talking about moving to Europe (I guess jokingly?). The mods can make good on my promise if they want. I'll leave it up to them if they want to ban me for my misunderstanding.I don't think you should be banned, but I do have a valuable life lesson for you. Don't believe everything you read on Facebook.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 23, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have a better life lesson:

Don't read Facebook.

FUDGEHOY
Apr 23, 2010, 11:39 PM
I have a better life lesson:

Don't read Facebook.

Touche:D

MrSibby
May 3, 2010, 11:52 PM
Good Bye - "The world is ending in 2012" Hello - "The PSU World is ending in 2011"

DragonStriker
May 4, 2010, 07:11 PM
I think this guy should be banned.

chibiLegolas
May 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
Can we just stop the soap opera please? Zantra was obviously emotionally distraught at the time.
At let's just leave it at that.
Let's just focus on what to expect with SoA now that they're concentrating on (download?) only games. Hopefully, that means more care will be taken with PSU and their updates.

Tetsaru
May 5, 2010, 08:24 PM
Let's just focus on what to expect with SoA

I don't expect anything from them. =/

Right now, I'm just waiting to see what goes on at this year's E3 next month.

And yeah, I'll probably end up getting Sonic 4, but I doubt I'll have as much fun with it as, say, the upcoming ModNation Racers.

RemiusTA
May 5, 2010, 11:59 PM
Zantra had a misunderstanding, shut the hell up everyone ;_;

DragonStriker
May 6, 2010, 12:03 AM
Zantra had a misunderstanding, shut the hell up everyone ;_;

I think this guy should be banned too.

Mike
May 6, 2010, 12:14 AM
EDIT: Based on what I was reading, it looks like SoA's main focus now will be on Digital downloads. Will all English translations now be handled by SoE?

This is what I'm curious about too. I would think that consolidationg translations in to one compartment rather than leave it to the various geographical branches would mean faster translations. This in turn would lead to faster distribution.