PDA

View Full Version : Dagger FoMarl Build

Joustin
Apr 23, 2010, 08:18 AM
As Kermit the frog would say "Hello Everybody.",

So as the title goes, I wanted to talk about a Dagger wielding, melee FoMarl.

WHOA!! Now why the hell would anybody in their right mind do that? Well here's a break down of my reasoning:

1- Forces in general have both Shifta/Deband & Jellen/Zalure
2- FoMarls have the best ATA of all the forces
3- FoMarls have the highest PP
4- FoMarls have a 30% increase to resta

(Unless http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2605 is incorrect)

Well ok thats maybe not the entirety of why I went this route.

One could say
1-why not roll a hunter or ranger? Then I say refer to 1.
2-why not roll a FoMar? Then I say refer to 2,3, & 4. (Also cuz I already have one with 100 mind mats)

So this is what I got so far:

FoMarl lv 50
CalebFenrir 34/15/31/12 + 38 Acc. Celeb 4 Air Ride
Pizza Box +99 Divine Power/Master Power/Hero Power/Element Boost
Radam Flozier Ruffian 100 ATP
23 Power mats (going for 100)

Pallet:
Resta-Evasion-Heavy Attack
Jellen-Zalure-Shifta

This had all started after I read a post about a melee FoNewearl on gamespot and decided to take some old Fenrir I had in the bank and let my 93 FoMar goof around a little. I was actually surprised how well he was hitting with only a 100 ATP with above mentioned gear but had 100 mind mats. Soon, I thought I would run a SH ET with this idea and hope for some Rage Tonfa's when this dropped:

LifeFenrir 34/0/31/12 + 38 Acc Life 4 Air Ride (look familiar?)

I was like "Interesting this would drop at such a time, maybe its fate" so i put those bad boys and went to town. I was dropping shit real quick, though I had to resta every time I used my PA. Still, Resta was healing for 400+ with Shifta so it was smooth (but risky). I had enough accuracy with Zalure cast that I only needed to use the heavy attack and misses were minimal. With Flozier, bosses were cake. Once I got Celeb on the daggers it was all over. I was killing mobs like my 74 HuCaseal, actually a little faster (cept on bosses, her lv 54 sword with life/OE makes boss battle end quick).

I thought about resting the mats (100 mind) and starting again with power. I thought this long and hard and decided no. Instead, I got rid of my crappy RaCast
and started the FoMarl. She has leveled quick due to all the awesome gear I have accumulated and performing as expected. so far, i am quite happy and having lotsa fun. I look forward to playing online with her as a stand alone fighter, group buff/debuff and spot healer.

To get an idea of the damage output on SH, I will say one average my heavy hits are no less then 150 cept on melee resistant mobs. Some Natives I am hitting for 300+ a hit and my Air Ride can do 500+ on a signal mob, no chains. These numbers we're from my 93 FoMar with the same gear but 100 mind mats. The numbers are similar right now with the FoMarl mentioned prior on H difficulty ATM.

So I wouldn't post here if I didn't want to hear your thoughts about it. By all means I am up for criticism, kudos, flamming, whatever is on your mind after reading the above.

-Joustin!

zeital
Apr 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
see for fun i've started to make my FOnewm use double sabers, but really compared to the power output of my HU's i have which use daggers, sword and double sabers, my FOnewm is far less suited, but i was just doing it for the lols i'll prob make a better build later on. i agree i like to have the use of lv 15 techs but meh each to there own

i'm still messing around with my FOnewm's melee build that is still unfinished

Joustin
Apr 23, 2010, 09:03 AM
Interesting you bring up a FoNewm cuz I found this for your enjoyment:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/phantasystarzero/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-53744124&pid=953869

DaRkWoLf30
Apr 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hmm sounds like an interesting build. I might have to try it out on my FOmarl, though I am looking for a good build for FOmarls in general(A casting one preferably)

johnwolf
Apr 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
ii'm an HUcast that USES daggers, and i say go for it. i'd upgrade to a Foie Haze as soon as you find one with good stats. i'll still out damage you, even With shifta boosts, but if you're doing enuff damage to stay alive then do it.

Joustin
Apr 23, 2010, 11:51 AM
ii'm an HUcast that USES daggers, and i say go for it. i'd upgrade to a Foie Haze as soon as you find one with good stats. i'll still out damage you, even With shifta boosts, but if you're doing enuff damage to stay alive then do it.

I would love to have Foie Haze but unfortunately FoMar/l's can use them. The only 7 * dagger we can use is Rage Tonfa, which won't be as good as the Fenrir I have.

On a note of out damaging I will go on to say that it's really not the shifta boost that gives me the most, its the Zalure debuff. Here's my explanation:

*Note* take a look at the damage formula first before you read further:

at lv 100 with max pow mats we'll have:

584 ATP HuCast
392 ATP FoMarl

-Now I add constant lv 3 shifta to myself and we have:

584 ATP HuCast
510 ATP (rounded up from 392*1.3=509.6)

so we got a 74 ATP difference

Now, here is where I meet you

lv 3 Zalure will reduce enemy defense by 20%!

If a mob has 370 DFP, I shave off 74 points! The more DFP the mob has, the more points I gain in my favor. Whereas the points you have for dmg do not change.

Also, Zalure reduces EVP, which means I need less ATA to hit. I have no idea if you use a 100 ATP mag or not, I hear that alot of HuCast have to invest in Hit on their mag. If that is the case, thats less ATP you got against me because my 93 FoMar hardly ever missed without any + hit, and thats using constant heavy attacks (+ 40% damage FTW!). The Fenrir with the Acc bonus and Zalure made up for it.

I will compare weapons here too. Unfortunately I have no idea what bonuses you got on your Foie haze so I will just say you got it maxed grind with 15% everything, no Acc bonus and lv 4 Celeb:

CelebFenrir + 35, 34/15/31/12, 38 Acc, Celeb 4
ATP 263
ATA 311

CelebFoie Haze + 10 15/15/15/15, 0 Acc, Celeb 4
ATP 295
ATA 308

so here you beat me by 32 ATP and I got you by 3 ATA. You'll do slightly more dmg to dark mobs while I will do more towards native/Machine. Again with the way Zalure works, I will make up the 32 ATP with a reduction of the enemy's DFP.

But, the reality is this: If we both have Shifta and your hitting a mob with Zalure on it then you will easily out dmg me. That point can't be disputed any further while simply talking about numbers here.

No slight intended so please don't take this as a counter attack, just a counter opinion.

johnwolf
Apr 23, 2010, 01:19 PM
lols, i'm not finding this as a counter attack, i have now a foie haze with 0/32/16/37 with lvl 4 celeb, i was just saying that with just Shifta alone i got yah beat, and it's IS possable to shifta only your self. Zalure though debuffs an enemy we BOTH can attack on, so it dosn't realy matter in the end if Zalure is up. i didn't know FOmar/ls can't use a foie haze, that sucks dude. as for HIT, i have a 26/74 hit/power mag. i don't have pure power mats but i have 51 in power and the rest is distributed in other stats. with Daggers though and HUcast can constently heavy attack without the worry of missing. a malee FOmarl seems to fit you and you got your stats figured out. i think you're fine with it, i'd love to see how yah do with your FOmarl Malee.

ARChan
Apr 23, 2010, 01:33 PM
lols, i'm not finding this as a counter attack, i have now a foie haze with 0/32/16/37 with lvl 4 celeb, i was just saying that with just Shifta alone i got yah beat, and it's IS possable to shifta only your self. Zalure though debuffs an enemy we BOTH can attack on, so it dosn't realy matter in the end if Zalure is up. i didn't know FOmar/ls can't use a foie haze, that sucks dude. as for HIT, i have a 26/74 hit/power mag. i don't have pure power mats but i have 51 in power and the rest is distributed in other stats. with Daggers though and HUcast can constently heavy attack without the worry of missing. a malee FOmarl seems to fit you and you got your stats figured out. i think you're fine with it, i'd love to see how yah do with your FOmarl Malee.

Well, if you can't use Foie Haze, go for the next best thing, right? ^^;

Joustin
Apr 23, 2010, 09:44 PM

Once I hit about 70ish we should get together and see how it rolls. I think I know what your talking about, your mag if it has an offensive nature will buff you with Shifta which was always a boon playing a HuCaseal.

BTW, I live in the Philippines, where do you live at so I have an idea of the time difference.

Joustin
Apr 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
Well, if you can't use Foie Haze, go for the next best thing, right? ^^;

I wish I could but the Rage Tonfa's I am willing to bet won't hold up. They are an actual rare weapon that can't have it's element changed. I hate to admit it, but I got to celeb to get the desired damage output.

Besides these Fenrir, with the stats it has makes it worth more then its paper value.

I am also in the business of farming for Clair Doubles. That weapon may actually be the only upgrade I can get (possibly, lacking 2 levels of Celeb is almost like losing 20% damage.. I hope the large amount of ATP from the weapon itself makes up for it.)

FOmarRashidi
Apr 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
If you are looking to do more power, try farming for some Divine Powers. If you are going to look for Clair Doubles, you might as well looking for that too because the same hostile drops those in Paru.

The_Pup
Apr 23, 2010, 10:41 PM
*sigh* Wish there were 4 character slots than the default 3 so I could play around with a FOmarl, Huney and others without needing to throw away weapons >.<

FOmarRashidi
Apr 23, 2010, 10:48 PM
*sigh* Wish there were 4 character slots than the default 3 so I could play around with a FOmarl, Huney and others without needing to throw away weapons >.<

Not to mention the whole reset materials thing.

johnwolf
Apr 23, 2010, 11:06 PM
Once I hit about 70ish we should get together and see how it rolls. I think I know what your talking about, your mag if it has an offensive nature will buff you with Shifta which was always a boon playing a HuCaseal.

BTW, I live in the Philippines, where do you live at so I have an idea of the time difference.

hum i live in the us in the state Winconsin, by the time i post this it's 11:07 pm. i have a Defencive mag that grants invinsability on full PB. i love my mag.

Joustin
Apr 24, 2010, 08:18 AM
hum i live in the us in the state Winconsin, by the time i post this it's 11:07 pm. i have a Defencive mag that grants invinsability on full PB. i love my mag.

I have one like that too! When I first started playing PS0 I played an all DFP HuCaseal and that mag had that nature that would make you invincible, was pretty sweet.

Joustin
Apr 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
If you are looking to do more power, try farming for some Divine Powers. If you are going to look for Clair Doubles, you might as well looking for that too because the same hostile drops those in Paru.

Yea the Frunaked... stupid punching monkey with red nipples

mMarikom
May 1, 2010, 05:07 PM
Glad you seem to be enjoying the build. Me and Broken_L_Button have had some serious fun with our melee FOneys. It seems like the build was tailor made for FOmar/l considering the Shifta bonus. Im actually considering remaking my Melee FOney into a FOmarl based on whether or not I want to make a weaponless HUmarl or HUney (I saw a build in CTC's thread and I'm thinking about modifying it a little) but yeah...add me if you want to play around with another melee FO

leviayurashyguy
May 1, 2010, 08:52 PM
Human Forces do not get a Shifta bonus in PSZ

FOmar makes a better battle mage than a FOmarl because of higher ATP which is affected by Shifta. in the case of using daggers, FOmarl almost gets too much ATA along side the ridiculously high ATA on daggers and Zalure, making power more preferable which the FOmar offers.

unless the FOmarl is withholding Buffs from the party which is very counter productive, HUCAST will always be the top DPS in terms of melee and ranged attacks.

mMarikom
May 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
When I said shifta bonus I meant the tier three shifta that all FO's get. The build is perfect for FOmar/ls because it gives them something to do with their decent ATP/ATA and tier 3 buffs and debuffs.

Broken_L_button
May 2, 2010, 07:26 PM
Ah! Another non-conventional build! I guess I should try it on my FOmarl. Now to gobble up a reset mat and to force-feed her with a more melee-oriented diet.

oohjohn
May 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
So I was wondering if it is possible to use a saber or claw in this build? If not why?