PDA

View Full Version : Games you Dislike

joefro
Apr 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
What are some of your least favorite video games? It doesn't have to be a "top 5" list or anything, just post stuff you don't like. These are just a few that come to mind now, I'll post more when I think of them.

Yaris - Just complete and utter crap. I don't know anyone that liked this game.
Two Worlds - A game with a lot of potential, but the end result was a horrible, buggy, glitchy, laggy game.
Too Human - Another game with potential but when it finally shipped it felt dated and boring.
White Knight Chronicles - I just hated this one.
MAG - Starting out the game by sprinting for a minute, then dying instantly, then waiting thirty seconds to spawn, then spawning in a parachute and dying before landing on the ground.

Ezodagrom
Apr 24, 2010, 10:50 AM
Of the games I played there aren't many that I dislike (I try to buy games I know I'll like). I guess the only ones I can think of are:
- Shadow the Hedgehog - Awful framerate on the PS2, it's like playing PSU with frame skip 2. And then there's the guns...awful idea...
- Far Cry 2 - Tried it, couldn't get into it.
- Aion - Was nice at first, got really really boring later on. I think NCsoft managed to do a worse job than Sega did with PSU.

Games I haven't played but I still dislike for some reason: Sonic the Hedgehog 06, World of Warcraft.

CupOfCoffee
Apr 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Halo 2 - I enjoyed the first one to a certain extent, but 2 changed the physics in ways I didn't like, got rid of fall damage, added a bunch of less-fun new guns, had levels that didn't really catch me in the way the first game's did, and added the dreadful online community aspect.

Guitar Hero - I just have never liked it or anything about it, and don't understand when people assure me it gets better. It's the same thing through the entire game!

Banjo Kazooie - I didn't like any of the levels, at all. And I never played much of it when it was new, so it gets no nostalgia points today.

Advance Wars - Tried multiple times to like it, just can't figure out why it's fun

Resident Evil - Atrocious controls, and it seems like unless you already know where you need to go and which zombies are okay to spend bullets on, there's no way you're going to make it.

Joefro, I dig your LookOut4Snakes random paragraph generator sig. I had a class one time where the teacher recommended that to help get random ideas for stuff, and all anybody ever did in that class after that day was generate awesome paragraphs and post them on the wall of the facebook group we made.

Gibdozer
Apr 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
right with you on Halo 2 (i loved the 1st one and thats it)
Oblivion- I really tried to like this game, but I hate it
most of the games adapted from movies, not all but most of these are crap
Barbie Horse Adventure
Section Z- has anyone in the history of video games ever beat this thing?
Final Fantasy 8- an epic piece of shit crammed in between 2 of the best games in the series

Sayara
Apr 24, 2010, 11:34 AM
*any war based FPS: This may be bias though; i dislike the genre FPS to begin with!
* QUEST 64 www

amtalx
Apr 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
-Half-Life
-Mario 64
-FFIX and FFXII
-Resident Evil

HeartBreak301
Apr 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
This is all I was able to come up with at the moment.

Most sports games, Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Tetsaru
Apr 24, 2010, 02:15 PM
I don't really have any that I particularly hate, but I don't like sports games, most FPS games, highly technical and/or unbalanced fighting games, and realistic racing sims. Also, pretty much any game that has too many balance issues, excessive grinding, or poor storyline can also be a big turnoff.

And of course, you guys know my issues with Sega, lol. It's not that I necessarily think their games are all bad, but just that they always tend to get your hopes up, and then utterly crush them by fucking the game up in a big way somehow... also because Sega was much more awesome back in the 90's... >_<

Palle
Apr 24, 2010, 02:29 PM
Games I typically don't play:

2D fighters
Arcade-type racing
RTS
RPGs with turn-based combat
RPGs which require more than light grinding

Weeaboolits
Apr 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
FPS (I'm terrible at them, there's only a handful of them I can tolerate, and I'm bitter because they comprise roughly 90% of the industry these days)

Survival Horror (I'm too damn skittish to play them, I won't deny their worth, but I can't stand playing them myself)

Sports (I probably don't need to explain this one)

Tetsaru
Apr 24, 2010, 04:17 PM
FPS (I'm terrible at them, there's only a handful of them I can tolerate, and I'm bitter because they comprise roughly 90% of the industry these days)

THIS. Personally, I wish there were more platformer/adventure games and RPG's these days, although I think it has gotten a little bit better this year.

Survival Horror (I'm too damn skittish to play them, I won't deny their worth, but I can't stand playing them myself)

I never liked horror games or movies either. Not that they're scary or anything, I just usually find them either too boring, too gross, have horrible plots, or 90% of the time you're always having to fucking RUN FROM SOMETHING because you can barely do anything... >_<

Sports (I probably don't need to explain this one)

Yeah... I say just play the actual game, lol. Also, sports games that come out yearly have HORRIBLE trade-in value at places like Gamestop, so I hear.

Retehi
Apr 24, 2010, 05:56 PM
Guitar Hero/Rock Band etc etc.

I am just tired of this whole franchise in general. My eye twitches whenever I walk into the electronic aisle of any store, only to see 2,481 different editions of Guitar Hero line the shelves.

Touhou. People have a severely creepy fascination with this game.

HeartBreak301
Apr 24, 2010, 06:01 PM
I've never played any of the Touhou games actually, I just like Cirno.

Also, facebook games. For the last time... I don't want your fucking goat.

amtalx
Apr 24, 2010, 06:29 PM
Survival Horror

a.k.a. an action game with horrendous controls and less ammo. Lack of resources and inadequate controls != suspense/horror.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2010, 06:36 PM
I've never played any of the Touhou games actually, I just like Cirno.

Also, facebook games. For the last time... I don't want your fucking goat.
BUT WHAT ABOUT MY COWS? MY COWS NEED FOOD. PLEASE FEED THEM, I'M TOO FAT TO GO OUTSIDE.

I hate most of the Final Fantasy games. The only one I like is Dissidia, ironically, because it's basically ALL of the FF games.

Weeaboolits
Apr 24, 2010, 07:23 PM
a.k.a. an action game with horrendous controls and less ammo. Lack of resources and inadequate controls != suspense/horror.One can argue that a lack of resources makes resource management a core element of gameplay, I can't defend bad controls, however.

joefro
Apr 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
Joefro, I dig your LookOut4Snakes random paragraph generator sig. I had a class one time where the teacher recommended that to help get random ideas for stuff, and all anybody ever did in that class after that day was generate awesome paragraphs and post them on the wall of the facebook group we made.
My teacher actually suggested that we use it too. I'm working on a type specimen book right now and I'm using the generator for the content. I'm making it about celebrities, so I usually just put two celebrities that have nothing in common in the same paragraph. It's turning out to be hilarious so far.

Call of Duty
They need to die. 2 and 4 were okay, but the rest are awful.

Every Tony Hawk game after 2.

Alnet
Apr 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
Guitar Hero/Rock Band etc etc.

I am just tired of this whole franchise in general. My eye twitches whenever I walk into the electronic aisle of any store, only to see 2,481 different editions of Guitar Hero line the shelves.

Touhou. People have a severely creepy fascination with this game.
This pretty much comprises everything I have to say.

But I'll keep going anyway. I'm probably the only person alive who is tired of Street Fighter II. I don't dislike it per se, but I don't get why everyone else seems to love playing a video game that hasn't evolved since 1993.

Oh, and video games based off of series in Shonen Jump manga/anime. I have nothing against merchandise for tv shows and comics, but the only reason Shonen Jump exists is to prolong series to the point where it's physically painful to see them.

Zeek123
Apr 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
Like the thread so far.

Almost all FPS games. Genre's become waaay too saturated.

New sports games. SNES and Genesis sports games were great.

Final Fantasy VII. I get to the world map, and I'm suddenly bored to death. I know the "plot-twist" death, and how it ends, so since I'm not getting trophies, why bother...

Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Wii Play

Capcom fighters... why so many buttons to Haduken?

Guitar Hero. Rockband can stay.

Outrider
Apr 25, 2010, 12:06 AM
So many excuses to rage in this topic.

I'll contribute:

- If you've suggested God of War is any deeper than a 13-year-old's power fantasy, you're either 13 years old yourself or an embarrassing idiot.

- World of Warcraft (and other MMOs that are dedicated to the time sink) is for drug addicts who are too scared to see their dealers face to face.

- PC games in general have become the home to sadistic holdouts who are so concerned with trying to prove their superiority over console or casual gamers that they've embraced unnecessary complexity in major elements of the game (gameplay design, controls, minimum requirements) to the point where they've basically butchered an entire platform just to serve their masturbatory fetish. These games are becoming so segmented that PC Games can be divided up into four categories now:

1.) Casual games
2.) Console ports of first-person shooter games (and poorly-handled ports of Capcom action-adventure games)
3.) Bastardized versions of traditional genres that require either 20 fingers on the keyboard, a spreadsheet to manage your characters, absurdly up-to-date PC specs, or all three
4.) World of Warcraft

So basically, PC games are a mess nowadays because of PC gamers. Way to go, guys.

Also, I strongly disagree with many of you and have terribly things to say about you and your mothers. Expect these remarks to arrive through the mail within 4-6 days.

Shadowpawn
Apr 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
Sports and RTS. That's it.

darkante
Apr 25, 2010, 02:48 AM
Itīs really hard to me to say out loud just 5 games i dislike.
Much easier with genre.

- Sport games (excluding racing)
- Stragegi games (bad at those)

Not a genre, but anything World War II related. Jeez, itīs so tiresome.

CygnusXero2
Apr 25, 2010, 03:00 AM
Halo 3-The over shield thing was just annoying,i couldn't get over it,i always die every 5-20 seconds,its not a bad game,i just don't like it THAT much

Far Cry 2-I have played the first far cry,it was actually cool,but this one,i didn't even get past parts to get the special "instinctive" powers,i barely past the beginning,tried to continue,but i quit :/

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 25, 2010, 04:32 AM
Capcom fighters... why so many buttons to Haduken?

Because you're not supposed to win exclusively with Hadokens in the first place.

SFIV is the most braindead one so far, so there's that. (Zangief PPP KKK anytime, all the time "WOAHYEAH!")

Mysterious-G
Apr 25, 2010, 05:08 AM
Shooters in which America is
A: in WWII fighting against Nazis
B: fighting against super evil Russia (which of course attacked first!)

SSB
(I just can't.)

Sports games
(Except Virtua Tennis of course.)

BIG OLAF
Apr 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
First, I'll do franchises I don't care for:

- Final Fantasy
- Halo

The reason for those two is that I hate hype. Hate it. Those two franchises are so popular, everyone always references them as a sort of "Golden Standard" for RPG and FPS (respectively, obviously), and that gets old after a while.

Now, genres:

-RTS
-Fighting
-Sports (most, not all)

The reason for those is going to sound silly, but, honestly: it's because I can't play them to save my life. Every RTS and fighting game I've ever played, I just could not get good at, no matter how much I practiced. My friends would have to carry me through every online match in both types of games, making me feel kind of useless. So, over the years, I've started avoiding those particular game types.

astuarlen
Apr 25, 2010, 01:03 PM
Most games I pick up will be put right back down if I don't enjoy myself, so I don't get much chance to build up a strong dislike.
The music in Yoshi's Story, however, is execrable.
Despite much hype and rave p/reviews, I could not play Black & White for very long at all.
I've played many a game or demo I did not care for, but I like to hang on to the happy memories!

MasterSpark
Apr 25, 2010, 04:19 PM
It's actually not easy to come up with games that I genuinely dislike, since I tend towards indifference to something if it doesn't strike me the right way. I guess that the olde "Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" would be a candidate though - I liked it when I was younger, but I really can't stand it today.

Zeek123
Apr 25, 2010, 09:51 PM
Because you're not supposed to win exclusively with Hadokens in the first place.

SFIV is the most braindead one so far, so there's that. (Zangief PPP KKK anytime, all the time "WOAHYEAH!")

I know... I just don't get the specials in that game at all.

Shooters in which America is
A: in WWII fighting against Nazis
B: fighting against super evil Russia (which of course attacked first!)

Sports games
(Except Virtua Tennis of course.)

Just now, you've stolen my heart.

It's actually not easy to come up with games that I genuinely dislike, since I tend towards indifference to something if it doesn't strike me the right way. I guess that the olde "Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" would be a candidate though - I liked it when I was younger, but I really can't stand it today.

SNES or GBA version you can't stand? Because they messed with the GBA port in horrible ways.

joefro
Apr 25, 2010, 10:06 PM
SNES or GBA version you can't stand? Because they messed with the GBA port in horrible ways.

Another thing I hate in video games. Spoiler for caps.
[spoiler-box]QUIT PORTING GAMES TO EVERY DAMN DEVICE! YOU CANNOT TAKE RESIDENT EVIL AND PUT IT ON AN iPHONE WHICH HAS NO BUTTONS! THE CONTROLS IN RE ARE HORRIBLE ENOUGH.[/spoiler-box]

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 25, 2010, 11:37 PM
Oh yeah, that Yaris gave me a headache. Stupid luchador sumo bobsled hybrids of motion sickness. SEGA Sonic Team did better mini meta games than that in 1993 ish.

Two Worlds is a B-movie satire of itself. So hilarious that dialogue. Mash that heal magic trigger! (Un?)Lucky for the world after "Two Worlds: EPIC Edition" They're dev. Two Worlds 2 right now. 'Shall thou ever heed a Three Worlds? Hark, I say.'

AC9breaker
Apr 26, 2010, 12:13 AM
Heavy Rain & Killzone 2 are the only recent games I have that I could say I really hate.

Randomness
Apr 26, 2010, 12:34 AM
90% of FPS games. (Battlefield is about the only exception)
99.9999999% of sports games.

That's it for genres.

Oh, and whatever game my brother is bugging me 5 times a day to play with him.

Mike
Apr 26, 2010, 01:49 AM
- PC games in general have become the home to sadistic holdouts who are so concerned with trying to prove their superiority over console or casual gamers that they've embraced unnecessary complexity in major elements of the game (gameplay design, controls, minimum requirements) to the point where they've basically butchered an entire platform just to serve their masturbatory fetish.

So basically, PC games are a mess nowadays because of PC gamers. Way to go, guys.

There are several advantages to playing games on a PC, but only one that I really enjoy or care to partake of. That is community modifications. Be it an FPS, an RPG, a sports game, whatever, there are some really nice mods out there for some games and you can only get them on the PC. Other than that, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

SSB
(I just can't.)

Agreed. I own the latest version but I don't play it. Ever.

Outrider
Apr 26, 2010, 02:07 AM
There are several advantages to playing games on a PC, but only one that I really enjoy or care to partake of. That is community modifications. Be it an FPS, an RPG, a sports game, whatever, there are some really nice mods out there for some games and you can only get them on the PC.

Man, you don't have to tell me. Ever since my cousin introduced me to Unreal Tournament with Bender from Futurama as a playable character, I've loved the mod scene.

True, I've mostly loved it from afar, but I've loved it nonetheless.

MasterSpark
Apr 26, 2010, 03:02 AM

I was referring to the one on the SNES, actually. I haven't ever seen the one for GBA. :disapprove:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 26, 2010, 03:16 AM
PC talk reminds me.

Police Quest 3 was so 'terribad,' best thing about it was being able to safely store the old 1 & 2 disks and play them in this new "collection" that even included a 4 'if IRC,' but why even try that one after 3 turned out how it did.

Hated nothing working in Alone in the Dark 3, Wild West one. At least there were save states to jump past the barrel that wouldn't fuse/light/combine 'splode. But then everyone was dead and you're walking around ugly textures all day.

Ecstatica was some hardass stuff too. Hated that buff monkeyman that always jumped out of anywhere and kicked your ass, hung you upside down, then punched you in the face.

Weeaboolits
Apr 26, 2010, 04:21 AM
Oh god, Police Quest.

You were late for the meeting GAME OVER. You ran a red light GAME OVER. You sneezed GAME OVER.

The red light one was mainly a problem because of how fucking hard it was to drive in that game.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Apr 26, 2010, 02:20 PM
i actually like it ok but the fact that its so overrated makes me RAGE call of duty modern warfare 2, so people call me a video game nerd, alright thats fine, but not wen u walk in the next day and start talking about ur lvl and prestige in mw2!

Tessu
Apr 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
FPSes.

...;_; But the sad thing is, I don't really dislike FPSes.

I only dislike what they do to me. I have a lot of fun playing them, but I have such a low tolerance for the motion on screen that I become very badly "simulation sick". I feel fine for about 5 minutes, then at about 10 minutes it becomes bothersome, and then by 20 minutes I have to turn off the game or I will pass out. @_@

It's extremely inconvenient. F'rizzle.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
Oh god, Police Quest.

You were late for the meeting GAME OVER. You ran a red light GAME OVER. You sneezed GAME OVER.

The red light one was mainly a problem because of how fucking hard it was to drive in that game.
Good thing I had dad or older bro to see what they did wrong and do it right instead. Trial and error mostly done for me ahead of time. And that Siren button cured a lot of driving evils. Parking was still hard, diagonals and such.

And it was good practice on those F2 Save F3 load, of which all the kids do now with save states in emulators.

Taking showers after everything was also good practice, and gave you esteem/completion points. So maybe new school kids like Zeek would have played it to completion for said "trophies." (Give the ticket to the red sports car lady, don't give in to the flirt)

AlexCraig
Apr 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
Disgaea series. It was cute at first, but the music and my brother drove it into the ground for me.

Delete
Apr 26, 2010, 08:38 PM
Well, I hate sports in real life and most sports games with the exception of Hot shots golf 4.

Splinter Cell DA: Not that it was awful, but it wasn't splinter cell. Some missions were like playing Syphon Filter because it got to the point where you'd just have to use guns, losing the sneak around vibe it's known for.

I'll add more later, also though...this thread reminds me of my "hard and boring games thread" a while back. ;)

AlexCraig
Apr 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Ah yes. Sports games. Forgot to put that one down.

Apr 26, 2010, 08:53 PM
Guitar hero, rockband, DDR, etc.

And I'm not really a huge fan of FPS games (there are some good ones though).

And most sports games as well, but some are kinda fun (like wii sports :mushboom: ) Actually sports like racing of some sort/golf/tennis/etc are pretty good. It's just when one player controls an entire football team or something that I don't like.

I've also never really been into RTS either.

Outrider
Apr 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
I have a hard time understanding how somebody can hate the concept of Rock Band or Guitar Hero games.

Do you hate the hype that surrounds those games? I can understand that. Do you hate the whoring out of the Guitar Hero franchise? Sure, makes sense. But to somehow hate the idea of playing instrument karaoke with three buddies to a bunch of awesome rock music? What kind of inhuman monster do you have to be to be against that?

AC9breaker
Apr 26, 2010, 11:26 PM
This just in, I hate the Wii. However I love monster hunter.

Tetsaru
Apr 27, 2010, 12:01 AM

I hate the Wii too (haven't tried Monster Hunter yet). Ever since I got a PS3, I've always questioned Nintendo's design motives. Sure, it's good to be innovative, and they've made some awesome things that are standard in the industry now, but that doesn't mean you have to forsake good hardware, networking capabilities, and other technologies that are ALSO standard.

Also, mandatory waggle-controls in a game that doesn't necessarily need them makes it feel gimmicky and awkward. Even before the Playstation Move controller was announced, the Sixaxis had some basic motion control functions in some games, and best of all, it was in a controller that FELT FAMILIAR. No random peripherals or attachments, no arm-flailing, no flinging things into the TV, just a controller that remained largely unchanged from the PS2, and would work with any game... even if it DOES cost about as much as a PS3 game itself, lol. By the time you get all the Wii Remote's peripherals though, you'd probably spend about the same, if not more. The new Classic Controller that came with Monster Hunter 3(?) looks pretty nice though, but I have yet to try it.

Zeek123
Apr 27, 2010, 12:57 AM
I have a hard time understanding how somebody can hate the concept of Rock Band or Guitar Hero games.

Do you hate the hype that surrounds those games? I can understand that. Do you hate the whoring out of the Guitar Hero franchise? Sure, makes sense. But to somehow hate the idea of playing instrument karaoke with three buddies to a bunch of awesome rock music? What kind of inhuman monster do you have to be to be against that?

I agree. Don't know what is, because I hate the hype, but it's not why I hate Guitar Hero, but I love Rockband 2 so much. It's so much fun to haul it over to my boss's or something and just have a blast playing songs we love.

Guitar Hero just plays differently from Rockband somehow. The notes just don't feel right, or natural or something.

Plus Activision's run by the devil, so there's that.

My only real qualm with the Wii is that there aren't many games on it that I want to play. I want to play No More Heroes, and most of Nintendo's first party stuff, but that's it.

Retehi
Apr 27, 2010, 01:14 AM

I have a hard time understanding why it bothers you.

Someone doesn't like the same thing you do, oh no.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 27, 2010, 02:42 AM
I just realized how pointless this thread is.

We have people who hate anything not Japanese RPG's, and we have people who hate anything not y Halo thar FPS's. We're not gonna get very far.

-Music games: Way too varied to have an actually opinion aside from gameplay.
-Puzzle games: It's just silly to argue about this.
-Sports games: Go outside and stop being fat. Seriously.

Also, I hate Sonic games after Sonic Adventure 2 that weren't on portables or Sonic Unleashed. The daytime levels, I never played the night time levels, and I think I'll keep it that way.

amtalx
Apr 27, 2010, 09:24 AM
I hate the Wii too (haven't tried Monster Hunter yet). Ever since I got a PS3, I've always questioned Nintendo's design motives. Sure, it's good to be innovative, and they've made some awesome things that are standard in the industry now, but that doesn't mean you have to forsake good hardware, networking capabilities, and other technologies that are ALSO standard.

Also, mandatory waggle-controls in a game that doesn't necessarily need them makes it feel gimmicky and awkward. Even before the Playstation Move controller was announced, the Sixaxis had some basic motion control functions in some games, and best of all, it was in a controller that FELT FAMILIAR. No random peripherals or attachments, no arm-flailing, no flinging things into the TV, just a controller that remained largely unchanged from the PS2, and would work with any game... even if it DOES cost about as much as a PS3 game itself, lol. By the time you get all the Wii Remote's peripherals though, you'd probably spend about the same, if not more. The new Classic Controller that came with Monster Hunter 3(?) looks pretty nice though, but I have yet to try it.

It's generally out of character for me to defend the Wii, but gamers seem to have a difficult time understanding that they aren't the target demographic. Someone decided not to cater to us and and our every whim for 'moar powah'. Stop the presses. Nintendo chose an alternate strategy and knocked it out of the park. They don't need you, and they don't care what you think. It's about time to get over it.

Also, the SIXAXIS motion controller is awful. When the PS3 was first released, just about every game had SIXAXIS controls ham-fisted into it because developers felt some bizarre need to use motion controls when they weren't necessary (probably due to Sony's prodding). I know it's painful, but does anyone remember Lair? I'm sure Factor 5 does, because that's the last game they ever made. Now that we are out of the "please justify this feature" phase, hardly any games use SIXAXIS controls. The feature is mostly forgotten, except in a few rare circumstances where it rears is ugly head to plague what might otherwise be an aptly designed game. The only acceptable use of SIXAXIS controls I have ever seen is the sniping mechanic in Killzone 2.

Powder Keg
Apr 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
- Almost any game that involves cards. It would have been so much better without the CARDS!!!

- Racing games without high flying, awesome crashes, or weapons. Let's face it...these are boring.

- Games you literally have to be perfect in and have no freedom to succeed (Police Quest was brought up--great example)

Also--very true about the Wii. Personally, I think a lot of games on it are just untapped potential but it doesn't matter, Nintendo wanted to reach the casual gamer and people who weren't even gamers and more than succeeded. I just can't picture playing sports games (not like I do anyway) with a Wii remote

Outrider
Apr 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
I have a hard time understanding why it bothers you.

Someone doesn't like the same thing you do, oh no.

You also seem to have a hard time gauging the stated reaction in a message board post. Calm down, child, nobody is bothered. No need to worry so much about my confusion.

Just looking for some reasoning behind a complaint. I know it's the internet and all, but I appreciate when people offer explanations of their thoughts, so I can understand the difference in opinions.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't crashed and burned already.

Also, I hate Sonic games after Sonic Adventure 2 that weren't on portables or Sonic Unleashed. The daytime levels, I never played the night time levels, and I think I'll keep it that way.

Wait, is that something you can do in Sonic Unleashed? Is it possible to play only the daytime levels and ignore the nighttime stages? I still think the demo is pretty great and play through it once in a while, but I don't want to buy the game if I have to play through the unappealing nighttime levels to unlock all the daytime ones.

GreenArcher
Apr 27, 2010, 03:29 PM
I used to hate all sports game with the hot intensity of a thousand suns, until recently. NHL '10 and FIFA '10 are big favorites with most of my friends on campus, spent way too many nights repeatedly losing by double digits but it was still fun.

Whoever put Quest 64 and Advanced Wars into this thread, we will never be friends :(

Now as for games I dislike/hate, incoming wall of text

Most MMO's. I've tried a fair share of them. I love the typical couple of hours questline you follow upon starting, but then you almost always get dumped into a humongous city and are given dozens of quests. For some reasons it gives me such a headache getting hit all of a sudden with so many things to do, and I've always been a completionist type of gamer so I feel obliged to do every single one of those quests. So I end up getting a few things done after hitting the huge city, and then just give up.

Specifically: Rappelz. It's a korean, free to play, grindfest. But man, the variety in this game was insane through Epic 4 (major updates are referred to as epics). After that the dev team changed I believe, and the new team just completely fucked the game into submission. The game has a very extensive pet system, and quite a number of them too. Through Epic 4, every single one of these pets were usable and had unique skills. With the introuction of Epic 5 pets were broken down into tiers, all their skill trees were standarized, all party skills for pets were effectively removed, and the only distunguishing factors between pets were power. I'm sure this boosted their cash shop revenues an insane amount (higher tier pets are almost impossible to obtain without the cash shop).

PSU: Obviously I love this game. The death of the PC/PS2 servers kills me. There is so much content on the way that brings alot more to this game. I'm playing a bit on the JP servers now, but playing in moonspeak sucks. Starting over on the 360 is a respectable option, except for this would require me shelling out a lot of money. Also who knows how much longer those servers are going to last. UGH!

Outrider
Apr 27, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm actually happy that I'm not the only person who says they dislike sports game with the "but Virtua Tennis is awesome" exception.

Because it is awesome.

Sayara
Apr 27, 2010, 04:56 PM
I totally forgot to toss my bitter disgrunting to
Remakes of old games to newer consoles. In regulation i guess. The hugest offender would be the Mario Advances.

I don't mind the graphical overhaul (Mario 2 did really need it[Well not including SNES's remakes; assuming you weren't around for that marvellous work of art]) but for the love of god; does everyone have to say 8 zillion things whenever they DO anything? This might just be Mario games being Mario games; but that was a charm of the old mario games. If you screw up; you're not blasted with first the death jingle AND Mario's horrible MAMA MIAAA shit. (it was actually worse with Luigi or Toad.. oh god Toad) I think Mario Wii fixed that bit with just grunted noises usually (usually) but jeez louise.

Also, someone mentioned Link to the Past remake; adding Young Link's voice as Link was also heartbreaking to me.
(in before hit mute) I ENJOY THOSE OLD GAMES MUSIC AUUGH.

There hasn't been a good game for Sonic since SA2B; you are correct good sir.

"I hate Guitar Hero because its all AMURRICAN music and i like weeabo asian stuff like ASIAN KUNG FU GENERATION" hurff. Actually; Music games is my best genre of games apperently. [yet i still suck truthfully!]

Zeek123
Apr 27, 2010, 07:30 PM
Wait, is that something you can do in Sonic Unleashed? Is it possible to play only the daytime levels and ignore the nighttime stages? I still think the demo is pretty great and play through it once in a while, but I don't want to buy the game if I have to play through the unappealing nighttime levels to unlock all the daytime ones.

No, don't let what he said mislead you. Nightime levels are mandatory in Sonic Unleashed.

Unless you're just going to play the first level over and over again.

At a certain point in the game, you can change the night/day mechanic yourself, but you have to play werehog to keep advancing.

SU is kind of odd (graphics-wise)... The daytime stages look really good. Like, really good. But the nighttime stages look like ass. Slowing down the gameplay really wasn't the best choice.

Plus the balancing on ledges and such was a huge pain.

Mixfortune
Apr 27, 2010, 09:16 PM
I still have a deep burning hatred for Vandal Hearts 2.
It seems like I'm just becoming a broken record on it, though. Every time I see a "your favorite/most hated" games thread, the horrid crippled mass that is Vandal Hearts 2 manifests itself in my mind, torturing me with the rage of ages.

Also, Shining Force EXA Neo whatever blah blah.
I still fail to see what the point was in using the "Force" name when it wasn't a Shining Force game. I know nowadays it seems like something a picky fanboy would bitch about, but too many times were my hopes dashed because they took their set naming convention and abused it to get my hopes up.

It's truly the equivalent of-
"Hey you guys ready for a new Final Fantasy Tactics? We'll have some more info in a few months!"
"Okay, thanks for waiting! Get a load of this, it's really the Crystal Chronicles gameplay style, we're just filing it under the Tactics naming convention."

Only difference being in that the last Shining Force that was actually a Shining Force was as far back as a 1/3rd localized Saturn game.

Okay, there's my raging for the day.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
the demo is pretty great
:wacko:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 27, 2010, 10:55 PM

Well kinda open ended, with not just "games you hate" since someone might just not play any Guitar/Band games, sports games, etc.

And some ones to avoid as listed by the OP, 3 of which I have and can discuss too. Too Human is the real inhuman monster up in here.

Strangely enough, nobody argued for that 4th one, PS3 Online RPG one, seemed to have some fans in OT thread around release. But he left it quickly enough with not liking it, no details.

Zyrusticae
Apr 28, 2010, 10:51 PM
Hm, stuff I dislike... Well. That's a doozy.

I guess #1 on the list would be Halo. It's like FPS for tykes. The Poor Man's FPS. The Gateway FPS. Etc., etc...

In essence, the game feels and plays like an ultrageneric (but largely polished) sci-fi FPS. Movement feels sluggish, weapons (save for that nifty hammer in 3) are all unimpressive and unsatisfying, visuals are behind-the-curve, level design is boring and repetitive, etc., etc., etc. I could go on, but what's the point? Pretty much everything about it was a miss. Mind, I speak as a spoiled-rotten PC gamer who grew up on Half-Life and Quake and Unreal Tournament. I can understand why it's such a hit with console gamers who never had anything better. The fact that it's a ubiquitous party game, though, totally drives me nuts.

Halo Reach does look promising, but as long as it remains a 360 exclusive (seriously, how the hell do people play FPSes with analog stick controls?) I'll just keep my distance.

Then there's Tekken. LAWL. Gotta love a game where a single mistake will get you locked into a seemingly never-ending juggling combo that takes off half your life bar. Yeah. Okay. I'll stick with my Soul Caliburs and Street Fighters, thank you very much.

Bethesda games I have a love/hate relationship with. Love, because of the modding potential and because they're so damn easy to get lost in. Hate, because they have to be made on the most god-awful game engine this side of the planet Earth. I swear there has never been a series of games that caused me anywhere near as many issues as Bethesda's, and modding them only increases their instability (to the point that Oblivion literally becomes unplayable due to constant crashes left and right. All attempts to troubleshoot these has ended in inconclusive failure).

Most other games I dislike don't warrant listing as I already know they're not for me without playing them. (I don't really get the listing of entire genres, either, but whateva floats yer boat an' all that.)

Delete
Apr 29, 2010, 01:32 AM
-Sports games: Go outside and stop being fat. Seriously.

Off-Topic for a sec:

Speak for yourself, I happen to weigh an awesome 128 pounds and I don't even really work out or nothing, just working at my job is enough to keep me from gaining weight.

Back on topic, I dislike most games that are put on the OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) disk every month. Seems they put in the dumbest games such as Ice age or some car games I've never heard of.

Then there's Tekken. LAWL. Gotta love a game where a single mistake will get you locked into a seemingly never-ending juggling combo that takes off half your life bar. Yeah. Okay. I'll stick with my Soul Caliburs and Street Fighters, thank you very much.

Not sure if you play SC 4 online, but it suffers the same fate as Tekken. One mistake and your done.

amtalx
Apr 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
Not sure if you play SC 4 online, but it suffers the same fate as Tekken. One mistake and your done.

I kind of agree. Both SC and Tekken are very momentum based and tilted toward offense. You can't turtle your way to victory like SF. Tekken also has the hitch of being so damn technical that unless you know the combat system forward and backward, you can look forward to getting wiped out by a couple long combos.

Powder Keg
Apr 29, 2010, 10:43 AM
I kind of agree. Both SC and Tekken are very momentum based and tilted toward offense. You can't turtle your way to victory like SF. Tekken also has the hitch of being so damn technical that unless you know the combat system forward and backward, you can look forward to getting wiped out by a couple long combos.

These are the kinds of things that drew me away from those games. I loved the first SC, and when the second one came around it was very close-quarters and felt too much like Tekken. I loved how 3 was a little different in terms of not being in the opponent's face for the entire match (although I still sucked at it) and 4 just felt like 2 again. It just feels like a chore to play those types of games if you want to have any kind of chance at winning.

Konami-code combos! This is Namco, not Konami....

amtalx
Apr 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
These are the kinds of things that drew me away from those games. I loved the first SC, and when the second one came around it was very close-quarters and felt too much like Tekken. I loved how 3 was a little different in terms of not being in the opponent's face for the entire match (although I still sucked at it) and 4 just felt like 2 again. It just feels like a chore to play those types of games if you want to have any kind of chance at winning.

Konami-code combos! This is Namco, not Konami....

I think SC1 is the best too. Although it's mostly because Kilik gets nerfed worse and worse with each passing iteration. :p

However, I do have the utmost respect for Tekken players. One of my favorite characters is Hwoarang. He has four distinct stances and about thirty separate combos for each stance. On top of that, some of the combos will leave you in a different stance when it's complete, leading to all sorts of wacky combo transformations. I had fun learning what little I did, but ultimately found it overwhelming.

Zyrusticae
Apr 29, 2010, 12:45 PM
It's impossible to make long, uninterruptible strings in SC 4. For one, it has air control. Secondly, you can't just keep getting juggled even after you hit the ground (lolwut?).

Besides that, SC4 online suffers from some really stupid input lag, so it's hardly a good indication of the game as a whole. When you can't block things on reaction anymore it changes the dynamics of the gameplay entirely.

I've had plenty of good matches with lots of back-and-forth. I've also had matches where I couldn't get myself off the ground (or vice-versa), but that's because the opponent was reading ahead and anticipating my moves (in addition to the aforementioned input lag). Which is what fighting games are all about: reading your opponents. Mind games. That struggle to gain the upper hand in a true game of wits.

In Tekken, half the game is memorizing combo strings so you can completely destroy your opponent when they make a single mistake. In Soul Calibur, you can't do this. You have to be able to keep reading your opponent. Execution is hardly even a factor; once you memorize your character's moves it's simply a matter of using the right tool at the right time (with some exceptions - see Setsuka's heavy reliance on JF moves).

Street Fighter occupies something of a middle ground between the two. On the one hand, flawless execution can give you a distinct advantage over an opponent who only knows basic link combos. On the other hand, if said opponent knows how to push you into a corner you may never get a chance to use said combos. Granted, the comparison is flawed as 3D and 2D fighters have some very distinct differences, so make of that what you will.

Honestly, if it weren't for the horrendous input lag I'd still spend most of my gaming time beating the crap out of people online in SC4. But it's there, and Namco doesn't seem interested (or capable of) addressing it, so I only dabble in it every now and again. But it's most certainly not a game where you can coast to victory repeating a series of uninterruptible combos by simply waiting for that one single opening.

(As for ring-outs... they suck, yes, but they will rarely occur when you know which moves a character can use to make them happen.)

Aaand with that wall of text out of the way, have a good fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNlx2EIQF98&feature=related

Tetsaru
Apr 29, 2010, 01:45 PM
Although my good friends Alnet and Red_Ghost will probably be upset with me, I traded in my copy of Soul Calibur 4 yesterday. I agree that the input lag is horrible on that game, and guarding is mostly useless - dodging and jumping, even more so because so many of the moves have ridiculous hit-boxes, so your only real option to defend yourself is Guard Impacts, which require godly timing due to the lag, as well as trying to read your opponent at the same time - practically impossible. For a player who prefers playing defensively, it just doesn't work out for me. On top of all that, for someone who only plays the game every once in a while with his friends in multiplayer, remembering all the moves for each character just made my brain hurt, especially when my custom button configuration seemed to change every time I turned the game on, either from not saving it properly, or having to change it for other people... >_<

Although I loved the character customization on that game, 1 - why did they take away the non-main character weapon movesets from SC3, and 2 - unlocking all the items is a pain in the ass because you have to farm gold and go through that damned Tower of Souls mode (which I suck at, btw - getting beat up by cat furries wielding food(?) weapons every so many levels is also humiliating).

The story mode wasn't deep at all - it was mainly just get to this "Al Gore" dude at the top of the tower, who seemed to have barely any background... all I remember was that he was connected to Soul Calibur/Edge in some way, and that was about it. If there was more to it than that, then it wasn't memorable enough for me to really care about.

Also, Star Wars needs to gtfo of my Soul Calibur. Why the fuck would Darth Vader want something like Soul Edge? And why the hell do lightsabers not cut through the other characters' weapons? It's like a bad fan-fic or something... Don't get me wrong - some crossovers can be really awesome (Marvel vs. Capcom, MAYBE Kingdom Hearts, though it's kinda gotten worse lately imo), but others, like this one, just don't mesh well together, or are just ways to promote shit (damn you, George Lucas).

I really like the Soul Calibur series as a whole (busty female fighters are always a plus :razz: ), but I just couldn't stand SC4 overall.

Delete
Apr 29, 2010, 02:19 PM
It's impossible to make long, uninterruptible strings in SC 4. For one, it has air control. Secondly, you can't just keep getting juggled even after you hit the ground (lolwut?).

Besides that, SC4 online suffers from some really stupid input lag, so it's hardly a good indication of the game as a whole. When you can't block things on reaction anymore it changes the dynamics of the gameplay entirely.

I meant that one mistake, and your gonna get your ass kicked in so many different ways. Here's what I learned while playing SC 4......90% of the people kick my ass, and I happen to be a really decent player. All they do is use cheap combos such as Astaroths sweep and hit thingy.

Also to Tets, That above cheap move I mentioned with Astaroth will get you through any battle easily. I went through the full lost souls and only had about 3 problems, which I quickly overcame.

amtalx
Apr 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
I meant that one mistake, and your gonna get your ass kicked in so many different ways. Here's what I learned while playing SC 4......90% of the people kick my ass, and I happen to be a really decent player. All they do is use cheap combos such as Astaroths sweep and hit thingy.

Well...if you find yourself in the 10th percentile, I'm not sure "really decent" is the best category for you. :p It's rare for fighting games to have truly cheap moves. Don't blame others for beating you with a weak strategy, ask why you haven't figured how to defend against it.

Tetsaru
Apr 29, 2010, 02:44 PM
I remember back on SC3 (haven't tried it really on SC4), a good way to farm gold that my friend discovered was to spam Yoshimitsu's crouching, spinning kick move in arcade or story mode. For some reason, the CPU would rarely do crouching blocks (unless you were playing on harder difficulties), and as long as you didn't spin 5 times during one execution of the move (it'd make you fall down if you did), you could usually "cheese" your way to an easy perfect victory.

Zyrusticae
Apr 29, 2010, 06:47 PM

Also to Tets, That above cheap move I mentioned with Astaroth will get you through any battle easily. I went through the full lost souls and only had about 3 problems, which I quickly overcame.
Now you're just being silly. That's almost entirely due to the input lag. Attacks like that (and others, like Cervantes' teleport) are so heavily choreographed that anyone with even a modicum of skill can guard impact right through them. The only reason this doesn't happen is because, yes, it requires strict timing, and yes, the input lag pretty much screws over any attempts at real finesse. And if you miss, it hurts. (This is why I hate playing against Astaroth online.)

The story mode wasn't deep at all - it was mainly just get to this "Al Gore" dude at the top of the tower, who seemed to have barely any background... all I remember was that he was connected to Soul Calibur/Edge in some way, and that was about it. If there was more to it than that, then it wasn't memorable enough for me to really care about.
The story for Soul Calibur has never been noteworthy. :-P I could say the same for any fighting game, really. Street Fighter IV? Incomprehensible. Tekken? Um... no. BlazBlue? The exception that proves the rule.

Also, Star Wars needs to gtfo of my Soul Calibur. Why the fuck would Darth Vader want something like Soul Edge? And why the hell do lightsabers not cut through the other characters' weapons? It's like a bad fan-fic or something... Don't get me wrong - some crossovers can be really awesome (Marvel vs. Capcom, MAYBE Kingdom Hearts, though it's kinda gotten worse lately imo), but others, like this one, just don't mesh well together, or are just ways to promote shit (damn you, George Lucas).Ahahaha. Yeah, on the one hand, I like Star Wars. On the other hand... lightsaber wielders in Soul Calibur are just weird. You could just hand-wave it as enchanted steel or whatever but that doesn't really address the fact that the characters themselves simply look out-of-place in the Soul Calibur universe (or fighting using its mechanics, for that matter).

Good thing hardly anyone uses those characters, eh?

Although I loved the character customization on that game, 1 - why did they take away the non-main character weapon movesets from SC3, and 2 - unlocking all the items is a pain in the ass because you have to farm gold and go through that damned Tower of Souls mode (which I suck at, btw - getting beat up by cat furries wielding food(?) weapons every so many levels is also humiliating).I'm guessing #1 had to do largely with the rather blatant balance issues that came up in 3, and since they wanted 4 to be its first online outing they would use only the movesets that they knew were already fairly even. That and those movesets were pretty much anemic next to the main characters' move lists. Sad to see them not appear, but personally I like that they decided to focus on what's already there rather than overstretch themselves.

As for the second part, you can actually avoid going to the tower entirely. If you get enough achievements you can unlock most of the pieces without ever actually going through it. That said, at least 4's AI is nothing like 3's uber-cheap omnibots that pretty much required you to cheese it during the last stretch of the game. (It's also considerably less time-consuming, as well.)

Zeek123
Apr 29, 2010, 11:44 PM
SC IV is terrible. I'm sorry, it just is. What's his name... Yunsung? Is that it? The dude with the scimitar? He can combo and juggle to ridiculous lengths. I've never played the first game, but 2 was where it was at. On the GCN.

I played the hell out of SC II.

Mysterious-G
Apr 30, 2010, 06:16 AM
lol SC II

Outrider
Apr 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
Haven't played SC IV, but SC II was the peak of the series if you ask me. It's got the additional complexity that I thought the first was lacking, but it hasn't been completely bastardized like in the third.

Man, I hated the heavy emphasis on vertical gameplay and projectiles in the third. Plus, they nerfed Yunsung like crazy.

Weeaboolits
Apr 30, 2010, 12:19 PM
I mained Talim in SCII, but I can't win with her in SCIV, either they nerfed the hell out of her, I got worse at the game, or a combination of the two, either way, it upset me.

Also the input lag in online matches makes it impossible to do combos with her, and I hate it.

Delete
Apr 30, 2010, 12:24 PM
Now you're just being silly. That's almost entirely due to the input lag. Attacks like that (and others, like Cervantes' teleport) are so heavily choreographed that anyone with even a modicum of skill can guard impact right through them. The only reason this doesn't happen is because, yes, it requires strict timing, and yes, the input lag pretty much screws over any attempts at real finesse. And if you miss, it hurts. (This is why I hate playing against Astaroth online.)

Call it lag or whatever, but I don't seem to lag to often like everyone usually mentions. More like 1/4 games, I may lag. I can perry purdy good too, but some characters just go on an attack spree and just won't let up. In other words, they attack you so much without ever giving you room to do anything. I can perry a lot, but I'm no miracle maker. Lemme see if I can find a video of what I'm talking about.

Found one:

First 1:13 seconds is all ya need to watch. It's not endless air combos, but wth can ya do :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPDI7_OYu0

amtalx
Apr 30, 2010, 01:02 PM
First 1:13 seconds is all ya need to watch. It's not endless air combos, but wth can ya do :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPDI7_OYu0

If you're talking about the punishing that 2P got at the beginning of the first round, that's because they kept walking right over land mines. That Cervantes opener is incredibly common, and can easily be countered by sidestepping. You can even get some awesomely comical ring outs if your opponent is dumb enough to use it near the edge. The rest of 1P's onslaught is due to 2P's inability to defend against throws and stand up at the right time.

Like I said before, SC does not reward defense like SF does. Relentless offense is often (not always) a much better strategy. Once 2P started actually attacking and stopped the pussyfooting, they did just fine.

HeartBreak301
Apr 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
I play Siegfried as my main guy, you can't be playing defence with him because he's rather slow. You lose your momentum and you're going to take a beating. Also, playing offensively with such a heavy hitter against defensive players means that you'll get a ton of critical finishes.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 30, 2010, 05:47 PM
Off-Topic for a sec:

Speak for yourself, I happen to weigh an awesome 128 pounds and I don't even really work out or nothing, just working at my job is enough to keep me from gaining weight.

That does nothing to help against what I said. Sports games are dumb, you could just go outside with your friends and play basketball or football.

Though, I suppose that would require friends.

Delete
Apr 30, 2010, 08:03 PM
That does nothing to help against what I said. Sports games are dumb, you could just go outside with your friends and play basketball or football.

Don't use the F word :(

amtalx
Apr 30, 2010, 08:48 PM

I don't like sports games either, but I still enjoy sports. Sports games have about as much to do with a desire to play real sports as rhythmically pressing colored buttons does with a secret burning desire to be a rock star. In other words, absolutely nothing. One is not a substitute for the other, nor does a video game simulation translate into interest for the real sport (read: I can tolerate video game hockey, but have ZERO desire to play in reality.)

joefro
May 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
29 out of every 30 games on the iTunes App Store. Man, is it hard to find good games in the App Store. My favorite game has been in the store since 2008 as soon as the store opened, Trism. I've found other good games, but the store has more shit shovelware than the Wii.

Ash1ey
May 10, 2010, 02:54 PM
Fragile Dreams - This game was supposed to be an emotional melancholy game. I played and finished it and felt absolutely nothing from it,. It was just a mediocre game, with a really godawful story that made me yell irl "this game is fucking stupid". I wanted this game for like 2 years, only to be met with one of my personal biggest disapointments I've ever played. Some of the atmosphere was okay.

Resident Evil 5 - This is not a bad game by any means at all, its just not what I was hoping for from one of my favorite series.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Outrider
May 10, 2010, 03:32 PM
Resident Evil 5 - This is not a bad game by any means at all, its just not what I was hoping for from one of my favorite series.

Resident Evil 5 is the most disappointing great game I think I've ever played.

amtalx
May 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
As someone that loathes the first few REs with a fiery passion, I found RE5 to be fun, but flawed.

I think it's going to take the threat of death at gunpoint for Capcom to finally drop the tank controls.

*grabs gun*

Zeek123
May 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not getting the consensus why sports games are dumb. I love Mario Golf and Tennis on the GBC. I still play those games. I played tennis in high school, and when we got together for our pre-match parties, we'd play Mario Tennis on the N64.

I can understand it's something you can do "in real life", but the fact that I can go outside and do it doesn't make sports video games any less fun.

Outrider
May 11, 2010, 03:46 PM
I'm not getting the consensus why sports games are dumb. I love Mario Golf and Tennis on the GBC. I still play those games. I played tennis in high school, and when we got together for our pre-match parties, we'd play Mario Tennis on the N64.

I can understand it's something you can do "in real life", but the fact that I can go outside and do it doesn't make sports video games any less fun.

Many of the people who complain about sports games are against the "simulation" sports titles rather than the sillier, mascot sports titles.

There are a variety of reasons ranging from disinterest in the license (because let's face it, these games are made for not just fans of the sport but fans of the NFL/MLB/NBA/etc.) to an inability to learn the significantly complex rules of the sport.

Basically, think of the latest Madden as a new Naruto game with a super complicated battle system. Some people are going to buy it because they love Naruto and just want to tool around as the characters. Others are really into the intricacies of the gameplay system and the ability to use these tricks to build up a great party.

Then there are other people who might enjoy the game if it wasn't all about some weird fox kid anime and didn't require so much effort to actually have fun with it.

That's what sports games are.

Volcompat321
May 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
I've always enjoyed basketball games. Never football games though.

I don't usually enjoy JRPG's.
I think PSU... if that even counts.
(And Final Fantasy games of course).

Other than that, they just seem.....too anime for me.

A friend of mine plays all these Japanese games... one is Disgea something, and it's just horrible.
I don't like tactics games like that already, and this just has little 9 year olds with huge tits running around. (well....it's weird how they show up, you have to see it).

It's just not interesting to me one bit.

Another game I don't like is Ju-On for the Wii. (It's the Grudge game).
It's WAY too short.
I drove around for like 10 hours one day trying to get this god damned game for a friend, and it was so short.
I was :disapprove: (though, it was very fun for the short time you played it, and for how much it cost($29.99, not bad for a decent game...it just wasn't my type of game)).

Zeek123
May 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
Many of the people who complain about sports games are against the "simulation" sports titles rather than the sillier, mascot sports titles.

There are a variety of reasons ranging from disinterest in the license (because let's face it, these games are made for not just fans of the sport but fans of the NFL/MLB/NBA/etc.) to an inability to learn the significantly complex rules of the sport.

Basically, think of the latest Madden as a new Naruto game with a super complicated battle system. Some people are going to buy it because they love Naruto and just want to tool around as the characters. Others are really into the intricacies of the gameplay system and the ability to use these tricks to build up a great party.

Then there are other people who might enjoy the game if it wasn't all about some weird fox kid anime and didn't require so much effort to actually have fun with it.

That's what sports games are.

So, it's ok if I stick to my 10 year old sports games?

I strongly dislike most any simmy game, but I was under the impression that these games were for the more "casual" market anyway. The kind that actually watch ESPN and get mad at bad ref calls. I don't play any tennis myself anymore, but I do watch the Tennis Channel regularly, and put my life on hold for the big Opens (Go James Blake!), but I still love me some Virtua Tennis.

Sure it's something I can go outside and do, but with friends all growing up and having different priorities, it's pretty nice to get my fix from a game. Besides, it's not like I could hit a 140 mph serve anyway. Just like the majority of Madden players can't play football IRL.

Calm down sports haters. Sports fans are just a different breed of nerd.

I've always enjoyed basketball games. Never football games though.

I don't usually enjoy JRPG's.
I think PSU... if that even counts.
(And Final Fantasy games of course).

Other than that, they just seem.....too anime for me.

A friend of mine plays all these Japanese games... one is Disgea something, and it's just horrible.
I don't like tactics games like that already, and this just has little 9 year olds with huge tits running around. (well....it's weird how they show up, you have to see it).

It's just not interesting to me one bit.

Another game I don't like is Ju-On for the Wii. (It's the Grudge game).
It's WAY too short.
I drove around for like 10 hours one day trying to get this god damned game for a friend, and it was so short.
I was :disapprove: (though, it was very fun for the short time you played it, and for how much it cost($29.99, not bad for a decent game...it just wasn't my type of game)).

I'm starting to turn toward your side of things. It was fine and dandy growing up, but certain "Japanese-y" things in games are just turning me off.

Like, I wanted a new Metroid... but not that one Team Ninja's giving us. I gotta say, I'm starting to prefer the Amurrican way of things.

Outrider
May 17, 2010, 03:00 PM
I don't play any tennis myself anymore, but I do watch the Tennis Channel regularly, and put my life on hold for the big Opens (Go James Blake!), but I still love me some Virtua Tennis.

That's actually unrelated. That's just because Virtua Tennis is one of the best games ever.

I've seen people who refuse to play videogames suddenly jump into a 4-player Virtua Tennis match and then want a rematch.

It's honestly one of my favorite multiplayer games.

Volcompat321
May 17, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm starting to turn toward your side of things. It was fine and dandy growing up, but certain "Japanese-y" things in games are just turning me off.

Like, I wanted a new Metroid... but not that one Team Ninja's giving us. I gotta say, I'm starting to prefer the Amurrican way of things.

Yea, I try to stick to my Need for Speed games. :p

Honestly, I don't know where most games are made or anything, but the anime stuff just gets to me.
Like why the hell would anyone want to play them?
The majority of them I've seen for myself feel like they are made for pedo's or some other type of sexual deviant. And that's what gets to me.

I think it's also the reason I don't like most animes. (No offense to Xefi) But the stuff in Xefi's wallpapers and whatnot just don't seem right to me.

I mean, whatever floats your boat, I'm just saying I don't really like it.
It just seems awkward to me.

Mysterious-G
May 17, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well VT is that one game that I could convince my father to play. Well only once. But that's still a feat.

Randomness
May 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
Yea, I try to stick to my Need for Speed games. :p

Honestly, I don't know where most games are made or anything, but the anime stuff just gets to me.
Like why the hell would anyone want to play them?
The majority of them I've seen for myself feel like they are made for pedo's or some other type of sexual deviant. And that's what gets to me.

I think it's also the reason I don't like most animes. (No offense to Xefi) But the stuff in Xefi's wallpapers and whatnot just don't seem right to me.

I mean, whatever floats your boat, I'm just saying I don't really like it.
It just seems awkward to me.

Eh, even if a mere 10% fell into that category, more than enough would exist for Xefi to have no problems.

Also, games in general do have a trend of sexy female characters... for very, very obvious reasons.

Volcompat321
May 17, 2010, 05:17 PM
Eh, even if a mere 10% fell into that category, more than enough would exist for Xefi to have no problems.

Also, games in general do have a trend of sexy female characters... for very, very obvious reasons.

Yea, I know. But it's a lot different when those "sexy" characters are portrayed as little girls... or young women.
It's just odd for me to see that.

I usually don't pay attention to the sexy women of video games anyway, but it's just hard to miss a 9 year old girl with huge boobs.

I'm just very picky about what I play. Honestly, I'm the hardest person to buy games for.

And what's worse is I'll like a game, and a second one comes out, and I could hate the second one. :/

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 17, 2010, 10:37 PM

And its not like the simulations are any closer to the real thing. Still within a game world, its all liable to break.

NBA2K series is pretty heralded as the best one, picking up where NBA Live fell off.

But, my brother can still use the same strategy as 10 years ago on the Dreamcast. Take a point guard who can dunk, run around a little to make the computer defenders get lost or cut eachother off from getting to the ballhandler, dunk on everyone. Abuse steals, run full length, even if there is someone in the way, the dunk always goes through - in fact its better to just let him dunk instead of try to block (and one year, early in the game it would injure the guy going for the block who was posterized) and 100% of the time instead give a foul - then await the slow Free Throw animations for the "AND1"

In fact even when the game is out of hand, he's up 20, he gets mad if I make one shot. Like its going to matter if he wins by 30 or 40 instead. So its just 45 minutes of goofing off, shooting from halfcourt HORSE style. Then he finally gives up since I'm not even going to try anymore.

Oh and to get that one shot in from trying to run together a play, pointing out why this guy was doing this - EX: why a pass to a guy cutting to the rim = him catching it while continuing to run all the way to the corner instead - and when I can take control of the guy who was passed the ball - the control determines he's in a different orientation direction and I have to immediately counter steer back on to the court - with half the chance of him doing the Hockey skate turn unavoidable for him to go out of bounds anyway.

So even in the sims, you can just forget trying to coach together any semblance of picks, lead passes, cutters, backdoor, anything. It all just plays itself, auto fastbreaks, better to stick with the NBA JAM time old video game tradition of shoot lots of 3's, try to dunk everytime, and abuse the steal button - which never seems to work for the other player, regardless of steal rating. I stop dribbling/moving and I'm liable to get picked from his defender hunched over hand checking everything with no foul of course - even on default ref looking out for those calls.

So much so real life players who play in that style are joked as video game incarnate, a JR Smith for example, "all his plays are highlight dunks/3 pointers/celebrations."

Zeek123
May 20, 2010, 05:03 PM
That's actually unrelated. That's just because Virtua Tennis is one of the best games ever.

I've seen people who refuse to play videogames suddenly jump into a 4-player Virtua Tennis match and then want a rematch.

It's honestly one of my favorite multiplayer games.

I guess it's the closest thing to a tennis "sim" that I can think of.

Seth Astra
May 20, 2010, 10:44 PM
2 games:
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

The controlls screwed up 2d LOZ forever. PH I put up with because it was new. However ST was all the stuff that made PH horrid, without the occasional cool item (the grappling hook in PH was, admitidly, awesome). I never finished ST. The combat is now little more than "An enemy! I must tap it untill it dies!" Admitidly, 2d LOZ was never about combat, but at least the tough enemies were interesting. I also hated many of the bosses in both games. Oh, and there's the nonexistant overworld. And how many items can you get? 6? 7? I remember at least 12 in Minish Cap. I'd rant more, but I've done enough. I'll close by saying that, as a major fan of the series since I first played, I disliked PH and hated ST, and they've officially ruined 2d LOZ.

NeonaPulsar
May 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
@seth: those games were still fun for me, but ST was a bit to easy,... I guess i just enjoy a good story :D

...But this is a thread about "Games you Dislike", so let me think.... !

"Transformers" for the Wii was a disapointment, after watch youtube videos of the levels and how fun it looked to be able to transform at any time, I went and got the game. Disapointing, the Wii levels were one way, not the free-roam I watched and you could never transform on your own :-(

......*sigh* ... well now I research games before I get them or barrow from a friend

joefro
May 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
BioShock 2.

Take what was once great and throw it down the toilet. That's what happened here. I still plan on beating the game, but it is no where even close to being like the first game.

NeonaPulsar
May 21, 2010, 03:13 PM
@JoeFro: Its cool that you get to play as a Big Daddy though and I haven't played the first one yet, but like i said, I just love a good story and that game put me right in it at the start

amtalx
May 21, 2010, 03:16 PM
I haven't played the first one yet

Trade BioShock 2 in and get BioShock. I'm dead serious. Don't even bother finishing BioShock 2.

Seth Astra
May 21, 2010, 04:57 PM
@seth: those games were still fun for me, but ST was a bit to easy,... I guess i just enjoy a good story :D

Eh, I didn't like the stories that much. They were okay, but not, say, Fire Emblem: Radient Dawn. I never play LOZ games for the story, since the stories aren't all that great (again, good, but not great) instead, I play them for the gameplay, which was great... Before PH that is. I sure hope the new Wii LOZ fixes it and goes back to the pinnacle, Twilight Princess. Another problem with PH and ST those was the dungeons felt way too short. They felt like just one room a floor. In some floors that was the case. Also, the dungeons felt like they guided you a little too much. I remember in A Link to the Past and the Oracle games, I'd stumble around in a dungeon for ages (no pun intended), before finally figuring out something I just couldn't get before, and then getting through... Or untill I broke down and read a strategy guide. I'd say more, but this rant about those games is long enough as is.