PDA

View Full Version : Monster hunter

TalHex
May 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
Note: I'm posting this here and not offtopic because I want FKL's opinion. Believe it or not.

I'm thinking of getting a Monster Hunter PSP game. I'm new to the series so I want a good point to start, preferably one with a good control interface, and decent graphics. In other one with more features. What do you guys recommend?

Volcompat321
May 8, 2010, 03:42 PM
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

It's the newest PSP one.

If you have a PS3, and have access to a direct connection, I'll help you get great gear!
We can do the Ad-Hoc Party. :D

TalHex
May 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
oh cool, I do have a PS3 so that might be awesome.

Volcompat321
May 8, 2010, 04:04 PM
Monster Hunter is A LOT easier with people helping you.
You could solo through it (I've seen it!) but it would be a huge pain, and would probably turn you away from the game.

Just let me know when you want to play, and I'll try to find some time to help.

Adriano
May 8, 2010, 04:55 PM
I haven't played it, but I have a friend who is also new to the series, he said he's enjoying monster hunter 3 quite a lot.

Weeaboolits
May 8, 2010, 08:30 PM
Get Tri, I just got it, we could multi.

Randomness
May 8, 2010, 08:45 PM
I plan to pick up Tri in a couple weeks, after finals.

Palle
May 8, 2010, 09:59 PM
I was waiting for MHtri, but ended up backing out on that option and sticking with MHdos and Portable 2nd G. Now I've taken a break from MonHan for other games, but I'm hoping Frontier 360 makes it to NA, otherwise I'll have to wait for Portable 3rd.

In the meantime...

[spoiler-box]...I'll make due with MonHan toilet rolls.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5815/img00082201005081951.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5962/img00081201005081950.jpg

Yes, the paper really does say things like, "Quest Failed."[/spoiler-box]

Weeaboolits
May 8, 2010, 10:54 PM
Tri has that online play, without friend codes. I haven't futzed with it yet though since I just started and I'd be dead weight in any game I joined at this point, also I was having fun killing the not-velociprey.

TalHex
May 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
problem with wii vs PSP

As much as I'd love to get Tri, I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to play it. I do most of my gaming on my mac now (gasp!) or with the portable systems (PSP and DS) because as of right now I don't have a TV for my dorm. I'm also not sure if I can get a wii working with the campus wifi (due to their retarded security system). A PSP version would just be better for me right now (about less then half the price).

Randomness
May 8, 2010, 11:56 PM
problem with wii vs PSP

As much as I'd love to get Tri, I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to play it. I do most of my gaming on my mac now (gasp!) or with the portable systems (PSP and DS) because as of right now I don't have a TV for my dorm. I'm also not sure if I can get a wii working with the campus wifi (due to their retarded security system). A PSP version would just be better for me right now (about less then half the price).

If you have a laptop, you could link to internet with a cord, and then try to link the Wii to the WiFi card. Or just get a USB WiFi stick. I have the opposite problem. No PS3, and Sony doesn't seem to think releasing a WiFi adapter for the PSP and a PC version of AdHoc would be a good idea. (Hell, Nintendo sells tons of their adapter for the DS/Wii, and those are compatible with just about anything)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 9, 2010, 12:21 AM
There's also Hard line USB/CAT5 online LAN adapter for the Wii.

Strange they didn't go user friendly with that built in from Nintendo, instead creating many many error code #'s to designate problem troubleshooting Wi-Fi.

Goes for about $15-20

Rocketfish
Nyko

brands. Rocket fish one comes with free bonus Cat 5 cable with it if you don't have extras lying around, don't want to buy two things (get them off Amazon for a few dollars and have to wait for it to arrive or whatever)

Nyko one has activity light on it and is two toned grey/white/red text small logo. Looks fine next to PC/Console stuff.

-

No idea on easy plug and play PSP/PS3 hardline stuff/wi-fi usb to use with PC/Laptop already established connections.

Retniwreven
May 9, 2010, 12:45 AM
I have MHFU actually.
And a PS3.
And the NA, EU, and JP versions of Adhoc Party.
And I'm HR9.
...I just haven't played it in a while. Not too much left to do. I'll be all rusty. D=

TalHex
May 9, 2010, 01:03 AM
There's also Hard line USB/CAT5 online LAN adapter for the Wii.

Strange they didn't go user friendly with that built in from Nintendo, instead creating many many error code #'s to designate problem troubleshooting Wi-Fi.

Goes for about $15-20

Rocketfish
Nyko

brands. Rocket fish one comes with free bonus Cat 5 cable with it if you don't have extras lying around, don't want to buy two things (get them off Amazon for a few dollars and have to wait for it to arrive or whatever)

Nyko one has activity light on it and is two toned grey/white/red text small logo. Looks fine next to PC/Console stuff.

-

No idea on easy plug and play PSP/PS3 hardline stuff/wi-fi usb to use with PC/Laptop already established connections.

Funky East Carolina University internet security protection prevents me from wiring the wii directly into the wall. If I were to do it, I'd probably need to use randomness's method. But then again, I still lack a TV. Ah well, we shall see.

Delete
May 9, 2010, 01:16 AM
Another monster hunter thread, these things pop up faster then popcorn.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 9, 2010, 02:21 AM
Funky East Carolina University internet security protection prevents me from wiring the wii directly into the wall. If I were to do it, I'd probably need to use randomness's method. But then again, I still lack a TV. Ah well, we shall see.
Your Mac computer can just be used as a hub pass thru since the Internet works on that no?

Or Mac being cheap with the Cat 5 Ethernet out extra ports? :x

TalHex
May 9, 2010, 09:30 AM
don't know, I only have one ethernet port if that is what you are asking

Weeaboolits
May 9, 2010, 02:57 PM
The Wii has built in wireless, you just need the hub or a wireless router.

Even if you can't go online, Tri is the newest game, so it should have more content than the PSP one, plus you can fight sharks, which is awesome.

Vanzazikon
May 9, 2010, 04:33 PM
The Wii has built in wireless, you just need the hub or a wireless router.

Even if you can't go online, Tri is the newest game, so it should have more content than the PSP one, plus you can fight sharks, which is awesome.Don't forget fighting a huge sand monster on a sand ship. Awesome.

Volcompat321
May 9, 2010, 04:34 PM
Don't forget fighting a huge sand monster on a sand ship. Awesome.

That is pretty awesome.
I saw a few friends playing and doing that fight. :D

I might steal me a copy from a friend, since he's been neglecting the game!

Hopefully he wont mind. :D
I wont have a Wii speak though...I'll have a keyboard!

Vanzazikon
May 9, 2010, 05:20 PM
Sweet. I don't have wiispeak yet either but I do have a keyboard. Tell me when you want to game. :wacko:

Volcompat321
May 9, 2010, 05:25 PM
Sounds good, but remember I'll be just starting on my Wii, so I'll have to do low rank quests.
Plus I have to get used to using all the new stuff, since I've only watched friends play.

It didn't take too long for a few of my friends to beat the offline though, so that's not so bad.

Outrider
May 9, 2010, 10:39 PM
RE: MHTri - I'm up to the last two quests in Tier 3 and I can't seem to kill the Royal Ludroth. And Qurupeco is too much of a pain to fight so I don't feel like doing the capture quest.

Definitely have to play online sometime soon. I'm moving into a new apartment on Saturday, so I'll probably have to wait until I'm settled in.

Weeaboolits
May 10, 2010, 01:45 AM
I've only finished the beginning quests, they changed up bowguns since the last one I played, so I was toying around with the different parts.

Outrider
May 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
I've mostly been using sword & shield, but I have played around with the giant sword. What should I give a shot next?

Somnia
May 10, 2010, 01:33 PM
HAMMERS! They're really fun and good at smashing up horns and whatnot. You're just screwed on tails is their only downside.

Also, anyone playing online yet? Add me, my ID is 7PZ86B (Name=Somnia)

Outrider
May 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
I actually haven't figured out the whole "cutting off tails" thing. I've definitely seen references to it in reviews and stuff, though. I just assumed that it would come up during a later quest.

Somnia
May 10, 2010, 03:56 PM
All the monsters have parts you can destroy and have a chance to get increased rewards in the end. Some parts you can only get by destroying them. It's easy to break things depending on what damage type you have (cut/slashing or impact/blunt). I don't believe hammers can break tails off at all.

Randomness
May 23, 2010, 06:20 PM
Summer break! And with it, I got Tri!

Weeaboolits
May 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
I was too busy playing to say anything in this thread, I'm alternating between bowguns and switch axes, currently rank 23, I think. If you see a hunter named Chelle, it's probably me. I like the Renaplas (or however you spell it) armor, it makes me look like a giant pink teddy bear.

Retniwreven
May 23, 2010, 11:48 PM
Still running around on MHFU. I never did get the hang of the Wii.

Weeaboolits
May 23, 2010, 11:57 PM
I use the classic controller, I've heard the wiimote controls are pretty clunky.

Outrider
May 24, 2010, 01:33 AM
Oh snap. I haven't played in a couple weeks and I think I'm probably still Level 1. Does anybody want to play at some point this week?

Retniwreven
May 24, 2010, 01:44 AM
I use the classic controller, I've heard the wiimote controls are pretty clunky.

Thanks to PSP I am developing THE CLAW.

Weeaboolits
May 24, 2010, 02:22 PM
Oh snap. I haven't played in a couple weeks and I think I'm probably still Level 1. Does anybody want to play at some point this week?I've started playing ToS: DotNW, but it's nothing I can't take a break from if someone wants to play, it's just a matter of getting a hold of me to let me know you want to.

Thanks to PSP I am developing THE CLAW.Using the original classic controller could provide a reasonably similar experience, you would have to deal with having two functional analog sticks instead of just one awful nub, though.

Retniwreven
May 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
I like that nub. Me and the nub have shared some wonderful memories together. Like that time it broke off of my old PSP and I had to use the mini stick bit that attaches the nub, and developed a square in my finger. That was kind of painful.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 24, 2010, 06:15 PM
Blogged on W0LBL0G about that thing recently. Did not know it could be so square, but have seen third party ones when perusing the Glamestops for a used one a few years back. Each one worse than the last, blue lifted nub piece on it, didn't help matters, more and more scratched pixeljunk.

Square creating pain is not love,

> Retniwreven

Weeaboolits
May 24, 2010, 06:54 PM
I stuck the oddly colored one that came with the PSP2 whatchamakit on mine (why are they light blue? hell if I know).

Randomness
May 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'm really liking lances, but I can't help feeling they're slow to kill things. On the other hand, shrugging off everything thrown at me is nice.

Weeaboolits
May 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
I couldn't get into lances, if you could roll while not guarding I'd like them a lot more, the backstep is nice and all, but I like being able to advance. I mostly use switch axes, toying with hammers now.

Sord
May 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
For Wii
Name: Siyamak
Online ID: XU7IGJ

I've been playing Monster Hunter since the first one on PS2. Definitely recommend getting Tri if you can. However, the latest version of the PSP game (monster hunter freedom unite) has tons more content, but that's because it's dealt with pretty much two expansions (monster hunter freedom 2 and then monster hunter freedom unite, each one adding more to the last while keeping all the old stuff for the most part.) There will be a Monster Hunter Portable 3rd coming out soon, which will have a lot of content similar to Tri but also keeping a lot of the old content that wasn't put into Tri (such as dual swords and hunting horns. The choice to do so was a damn shame.) You also can't expect much advanced DLC from the Wii, as the way it is built kind of hinders it in that area. The PSP however is different, since everything can be read from the SD card.

I normally wouldn't bother posting here, but I'm a big MH fanboy so whatever. I bought my PSP and obtained my Wii only to play Monster Hunter, I wouldn't do that for any other game.

Randomness
May 25, 2010, 06:03 PM
I couldn't get into lances, if you could roll while not guarding I'd like them a lot more, the backstep is nice and all, but I like being able to advance. I mostly use switch axes, toying with hammers now.

Yeah, that's been troublesome for me too. I usually just use repeat guard advances. I beat Lagiacrus... after a 40-minute fight, two deaths, and a ton of pots.

Trying to decide on some other melee weapon to use. Switch Axes are neat. Long Swords are iffy because of the difficulty building the gauge, but... once its full, berserker mode much? Will probably settle on greatswords in the end.

Weeaboolits
May 25, 2010, 06:29 PM
I suppose I should post my ID too so you doods can add me without hunting me down.

ID: C84HJC character name is Chelle like I probably said before.

Not on right now since I'm letting my wiimote charge.

Vanzazikon
May 25, 2010, 06:42 PM
Now that you mentioned it, I don't think I ever posted my Hunter's ID in FKL.

Name: Vanny
Hunter ID: 7VXLPK

I'm usually online in the morning and late evening. I'm HR 26 but don't mind helping people at lower levels.

Sord
May 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, that's been troublesome for me too. I usually just use repeat guard advances. I beat Lagiacrus... after a 40-minute fight, two deaths, and a ton of pots.

Trying to decide on some other melee weapon to use. Switch Axes are neat. Long Swords are iffy because of the difficulty building the gauge, but... once its full, berserker mode much? Will probably settle on greatswords in the end.

Most people who main lance will learn monster movements well enough to just back jump towards them and know that when they arrive they will still have enough time to face and block them (also facing sideways and jumping back to replace the sideways roll.) Due to this, if you're gonna play lance mega-dash potions are usually a godsend to have as well as the Constitution skill (reduce stamina usage when dodging and blocking.) The Guard Up skill is also great, as previously unblockable special attacks are then blockable and damn near nothing can touch you unless it hits from behind. In Tri, I've found that lances are definitely a slower killer (also been hugely nerfed, granted, I can't argue a nerf wasn't needed,) However if I decided to play with one, thanks to all the blocking I will have used significantly less potions most of the time.

As per the great sword vs long sword battle... most people usually favor the long sword. In the previous games it always won out as the stronger of the two, especially in end game. Yes, the great sword has high attack, but the long sword is a hell of a lot faster and can deal a lot of DPS (not to mention soul charge mode/hits.) Great swords are so much easier to obtain though, and there's a lot more variety that can be obtained much earlier on, so a lot of people wind up using great swords for a long time before switching to long sword. I personally don't use them for reasons entirely based outside the game: I hate katanas, there is nothing more fucking generic in a game than a damn katana (huge ass swords that are impossible to actually wield is a close second, but still a second.)

Personally, I main hammers, easy to access, easy to use, and very powerful. Biggest downside is you can't cut stuff off, but that's why you play with someone that uses cutting damage and can do that bit for you (besides, in exchange our impact damage breaks most armor shit quicker.) Lances are weird though in that respect, when calculating damage they deal whatever is better (impact or slicing.) Secondary is the Switch Axe (since I'd like to use a blade every once in awhile,) it's faster than the great sword and not a fucking katana.

Weeaboolits
May 27, 2010, 01:07 AM
I've started taking to the sword and shield, being able to use items without sheathing your weapon is awfully convenient, as is being able to block.

Outrider
May 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Sord, Ronin and I played last night. It was fun, even if Ronin thought he was too good to talk to us.

I'm completely overwhelmed by the expected time commitment to get to any respectable level in that game, though. Not sure I'll ever be getting into the twenties when I have a stack of other games calling me.

Weeaboolits
May 28, 2010, 06:27 PM
Not my fault. ;~;

I'll replace my mic soon enough.

Randomness
May 31, 2010, 01:08 PM
Bump. Figured I should post my ID: U3C58L.

Finally got to HR 18, so I can fight online about everything I can offline.

Weeaboolits
Jun 3, 2010, 05:42 AM
Got a new mic, so I can voicetalk once more.

Rapidly approaching rank 40 and nearly have my Rathian set finished, I'd be happy to play some lower ranked games though, since the materials I need to finish my set are actually more common at those ranks.

Vanzazikon
Jun 3, 2010, 06:16 AM
Mr. Ronin is 10 ranks higher than me. >>;

Outrider
Jun 3, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'd be up for playing again sometime soon. Not so sure about this week, but maybe sometime later in the weekend (or next week?)

Let me know.

(I actually just got a WiiSpeak with Endless Ocean, so that's an alternative to Skype for anybody who would want to do that.)

Seth Astra
Jun 3, 2010, 11:20 AM
It's official. I'm the lowest HR on this site. I am only at... 12, I think...

W0LB0T
Jun 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
Been playing the version I got on PSP (freedom 2). I had it for ages, but couldn't get into it. Its a real hand destroyer. If only there was a way to play PSP without using the PSP. Plus I had no patience for it.

Second of all:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1603/monsterhunterpie.png

Outrider
Jun 3, 2010, 01:02 PM
It's official. I'm the lowest HR on this site. I am only at... 12, I think...

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I'm like rank 6.

And Wolly is spot-on if you're trying to play the game to try and unlock all the best equipment and all that.

I definitely enjoy just running around killing some monsters, but like I said before, I don't know if I can dedicate 100+ hours to trying to reach the endgame content.

Volcompat321
Jun 3, 2010, 03:44 PM
Aww c'mon Outrider.

I've played thousands of hours on the PSP version, and I still don't have everything I want. :p
Though that's like 6,000 hours over 3 Monster Hunters. (Freedom 1, Freedom 2G, and Unite).

And I don't know about you guys, but I don't gather stuff much, other than monster materials.
Though, I'm not saying you don't have to.

Seth Astra
Jun 3, 2010, 03:58 PM
@W0LB0T: I think that chart is widely off:

@Outrider: Well, that's 1 person not higher than me. Everyone else on this site is 18+ from what I've seen. Wanna do some runs some time?

@Volcompat: It's pretty much the same here. The only time I mine/gather is when I am looking for materials for an upgrade. Otherwise I just carve monsters.

Randomness
Jun 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
@W0LB0T: I think that chart is widely off:

@Outrider: Well, that's 1 person not higher than me. Everyone else on this site is 18+ from what I've seen. Wanna do some runs some time?

@Volcompat: It's pretty much the same here. The only time I mine/gather is when I am looking for materials for an upgrade. Otherwise I just carve monsters.

Wait til you get Volcano. It is VERY much worth it to mine up Rustshards. *hugs Undertaker lance*

Sord
Jun 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
It took me forever to get my damn rust weapon (thank GOD it was a hammer to, since that's my main.) Took many many hours and well over 100 iron and mega pick axes.

Seth Astra
Jun 3, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm actually on the offline volcano. I got a greatsword (nothing special) and upgraded it several levels. If only I could get a good longsword from a rustshard.

Randomness
Jun 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
I've gotten the lance and greatsword from rustshards. I found a hammer too, and sold it by accident :disapprove:. Thankfully, I don't use hammers.

Got a Rathalos Plate finally, completed that armor, gemmed it to get rid of defense down and gain critical+2 and attack up L. My Tusk Lance+ has 60% affinity in that set. :D

I need to find a good fire lance... but Aganaktor is evil. And so is Blood Sport. (Arena, plus Diablos, plus Uragaan, at the same time) So... yeah.

Goal #1 is getting to HR 31 though, since I have Spiral Splash+, Tusk Lance+, Acrus Lance, and Undertaker to basically hit the weakness of any monster, and Lagi and Rathalos armors to cover the bases in defense (Fully upgraded too, from all the spheres I got hunting rustshards) AND offense (Either Rathalos for raw damage or Lagi for elemental boost)

Tried the HR 18 advanced quest for Agnaktor. One of my party mates got mercilessly slaughtered by its deathray.

Vanzazikon
Jun 4, 2010, 01:19 AM
All the Rustshards I found so far were all fakes. :disapprove:

Weeaboolits
Jun 4, 2010, 09:37 AM
I got a rust lance, but I'm not very good with those.

Pirrip
Jun 5, 2010, 12:17 AM
I just got Monster Hunter Tri for Wii, and I LOOOOVE it. I got a wii speak microphone when I got animal crossing for wii, so I'll be able to chat in multiplayer.

AC9breaker
Jun 5, 2010, 09:41 AM
lol Does anyone even use Wii speak? I never once come across anyone using it in game. I personally would use Skype with friends whenever I played.

Anyway, trying to close in on 40. At 36 at the moment. Upgraded Most of my Rathian gear to Advance version using the Armor spheres but I'm trying to gather the mats for + version of the headpiece since it has 3 slots as opposed to 1 from the regular upgraded one. I just need one more Rath Medula, upgrade my chest pieceand I'll be set. Also first time I ran into Deviljaho, I soiled my trousers. :(

Randomness
Jun 5, 2010, 10:25 AM
Wii speak only works with people on your friends list.

I need to get a keyboard hooked up to the Wii. The in-game keyboard is abominably slow.

I managed to get a Baltzenger yesterday before the events cycled, so I now have a lance of every element.

Weeaboolits
Jun 5, 2010, 03:34 PM
Even if it's enabled you can't hear the people using it unless you have one too, which is annoying, not dropping $30 for a shitty peripheral I'm only gonna use for one game.

I made a rathian+ set, but I still use my Jhen set a lot.

Sord
Jun 5, 2010, 03:37 PM
it's $20, not $30. Though Skype is far superior in sound quality and free. Unfortunately not everyone has their TV right next to their PC (or in my case use the same screen.)

Weeaboolits
Jun 5, 2010, 04:57 PM
It's $30 at the store near me, I call shenanigans.

Sord
Jun 5, 2010, 06:14 PM
your store is overcharging then

Weeaboolits
Jun 5, 2010, 09:02 PM
They're going out of business anyway.

Randomness
Jun 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
Ceadus is being a jerk. He won't give me a deep dragongem so I can make a Helios set.

Edit: And yet, I've bothered hunting rares in PSO. Why am I complaining, again? Its 15% for one after 44 minutes. (2 runs to kill, so 2 end loots, 6 carves... or something like that?)

Outrider
Jun 7, 2010, 12:03 PM
I just bought Endless Ocean with the WiiSpeak.

It's a core RPG dressed up as a casual game about petting fish. It's weird, but good.

But yeah, it was $30 with the WiiSpeak, and the WiiSpeak on its own is $20. Made sense to me.

Randomness
Jun 7, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well, made it to HR 31. Got myself a set of Ludroth+ armor too. Consitution+2 is SO nice for lances. Don't have to worry about my stamina.

Should have a keyboard soon, at which point I intend to add everyone.

Now, if only I had some decent charms.

Weeaboolits
Jun 8, 2010, 07:31 PM
Been playing Freedom Unite, I don't understand why they took all these weapons away, particularly the bow, it's so fun to use.

Vanzazikon
Jun 8, 2010, 07:34 PM
Trouble implementing underwater combat with it? I'm not sure as well.

Volcompat321
Jun 8, 2010, 07:44 PM
Sorry I haven't been on guys, I've been working lots and lots of hours, which is a good thing.
Though I expected to be playing with some of ya by now.

Anyway, since I'm working so much, maybe I'll get my own damn Wii, so I can play whenever I want!

Weeaboolits
Jun 8, 2010, 09:23 PM
Trouble implementing underwater combat with it? I'm not sure as well.I could almost see that with bows due to the fact that the shots arc and underwater arcing is much stronger (go ahead and try using exhaust bullets underwater), but there's no reason why twin swords, gunlances and hunting horns should have been dropped.

TalHex
Jun 9, 2010, 05:50 PM
gun lances could become harpoon guns or something underwater >.>

Weeaboolits
Jun 9, 2010, 06:05 PM
Gunlances have extremely short range on their shots to begin with, so that wouldn't even matter.