PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Builds

oohjohn
May 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi fairly new here.

I got bored of playing orthodox characters but I'm trying to find some successful unorthodox builds. Can you guide/link/post some please and thanks

(Off topic)
I have a HUcast and I was wondering whether I should stick with claws or switch to sabers.
It is mostly my preference but I'd like to find out some arguments. So if I should switch why/why
not? And what kind of claw/saber should I be aiming for?

oohjohn

Tolly7249
May 10, 2010, 09:46 PM
This is a RAmarl build I had crazy amounts of fun with. Not entirely normal, but it was very entertaining.

Mag: 100 Guard or 99 Guard/1 Power or 1 Mind
Mats: 50 Power, 50 Mind
Weapon: Your Favourite Handgun
Armour: Anything decent with 3 or 4 slots, whack HP Recover, PP Recover and either a Guard or Element Boost in there.

End result - decent damage, decent healing, less damage taken from most attacks, quick attack rate, and effective elements. Does suffer a little in SH, but then again, so does EVERYONE.

ARChan
May 11, 2010, 01:13 PM
Here's my FOmarl build:

Mag: 30 Power, 30 Hit, 40 Mind
Mats: 100 Hit
Weapon: Mechgun or Handgun w/ Heart element, Gunblade (preferably the Axeon series), Slicer, or Rod w/ Heart element
Armor Slots: PP Recovery 4/5, Element Boost/Compress PA, PA Save Lv 3, Tech Save Lv 3

Basically, this is a build based on support. Since offense teching will barely ever be used unless the front is not quite adequate, the main focus is buffing, debuffing, and healing rather than a large number off the enemy. It keeps everyone alive. Assuming that you're hitting the enemy a lot with the Mechgun/Handgun/Rod, you shouldn't run out of PP quickly.

zeital
May 11, 2010, 06:22 PM
i'm got a FOnewm build going atm, or its nick name FAILnewm, its a fun build and doesn't do too badly in SH, so here it is

Mag, 100 power
Mats, 80 power
Wep, Clair Doubles
armor, 4 slot Noble Cloak, compress PA, element boost, and 2 divine/power's
all Tech's Lv 15

his heal isn't too hot and FOnewm get 30% reduction to Resta anyways, but i can hit about 150 or so normal attack or so and he only misses a little bit

but i like playing him he looks so damn cool

Cruciarius
May 11, 2010, 09:25 PM
Just a note on builds (mags or materials) that put points into guard: 5 guard = -1 damage.
This means a mag with 100 guard = -50 damage to you.

Any build with guard isn't very effective and would do better with those points into power, hit or mind, depending on the character race and class.

Guard builds aren't too common, because of this.

Personally, I already tried going down the high guard road. It's not very fun. HUnewearl with a shield and high guard mag, does very little damage. Granted they can block attacks and hit multiple hostiles at a time, other weapons and builds are more effective in SH.

Broken_L_button
May 11, 2010, 09:34 PM
Personally, I already tried going down the high guard road. It's not very fun. HUnewearl with a shield and high guard mag, does very little damage. Granted they can block attacks and hit multiple hostiles at a time, other weapons and builds are more effective in SH.

The fact that it was a HUney is what killed your build. If you're aiming for a good guard build, the best is either HUcast or HUcaseal. At 800+ DFP, even the phobos' strongest sword slash hardly does more than 100 damage (that's on SH). And, if you use weapons with Jell/Zal element at at least level 4 (better than Force's J/Z), you can completely nullify damage and ensure a respectable damage output. The only trick here is to find a way to hit the target as fast and as many times as possible with the J/Z weapons. I usually use mechguns or the rifle's Hollow snipe PA. It did an excellent job for my HUcaseal.

Sleeper
May 12, 2010, 05:28 AM
80 Power mats
lvl 100 mag only defense oriented
Bloody Gimlets Fully Grinded
lvl 100 HuCAST
My Juggernought

Tolly7249
May 12, 2010, 05:16 PM
Any build with guard isn't very effective and would do better with those points into power, hit or mind, depending on the character race and class.

That's your opinion. As noted above, almost nothing could kill my Guard RAmarl build, even considering that I tend to use substandard armour for a full set of slots. It's ALL a matter of opinion.

Besides, the original poster asked for Different Builds, not The Same Builds That Get Recommended Every Time.

Cruciarius
May 12, 2010, 05:41 PM
That's your opinion. As noted above, almost nothing could kill my Guard RAmarl build, even considering that I tend to use substandard armour for a full set of slots. It's ALL a matter of opinion.

Besides, the original poster asked for Different Builds, not The Same Builds That Get Recommended Every Time.

It's not really just my opinion. Guard builds have lower power, which results in taking longer to kill hostiles. That means they aren't as effective as someone using daggers, for example, with high power.

I didn't say they aren't usable to kill in SH. Just that they take longer to kill.

Personally, I prefer shields over pretty much all other weapons, for my power build HUnewearl. Just other weapons tend to deal almost double the damage that shields can do.

Galax
May 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
FOcast.
80 mind mats.
How about a 100mind mag?
any wand with act trick.
BAM!
Note: Probably works better with a caseal but...Go for it.

Broken_L_button
May 12, 2010, 07:42 PM
It's not really just my opinion. Guard builds have lower power, which results in taking longer to kill hostiles. That means they aren't as effective as someone using daggers, for example, with high power.

I didn't say they aren't usable to kill in SH. Just that they take longer to kill.

Personally, I prefer shields over pretty much all other weapons, for my power build HUnewearl. Just other weapons tend to deal almost double the damage that shields can do.

The thing is...After using all your guard mats, slapping on that guard MAG and those 4 divine guards, opting for the shield's DFP boost (60 for the highest performance shields) over other weapons is what makes the build counter-productive...Well, shields themselves are counter-productive if used for more than blocking the occasional-attack-you-don't-feel-like-avoiding.

Just make sure you have the proper weapon (read here for hunters: morgenlotte with level 3 element and VERY good %s, Ainsraffe with good %s and level 3 element and Foie haze with level 4 element, good %s as always) with the right specs, and that makes up for the ATP you lose by investing in DFP.

And...Don't ALL alternate builds have lower power? Making a character do something that is not its original purpose ALWAYS reduces its damage output. Hence why, to do proper alternate builds, you need the right, better than average equipment. Anyways, for a proper guard HUney, IMO, you'd need, for example:

-CelebAinsraffe, celeb level 3, 50+% in one area and Acc adj (optional unless you want to use Sonic Raid for its coolness instead of OE), OE (or Sonic Raid if your ATA is sufficent and want to look cool)

-CelebMorgenlotte, celeb level 3, 50+% in one area, Tornado Dance

-CelebFoie Haze, celeb level 4, 50+% in one area, any PA (my preference is Air ride or Huge Cross)

-Jell*insert shield name here*, Jell level 5, %s are optional (since you'll mainly use it to inflict Jellen on Foes and quickly swap it out for another wep), Linear Shake or Bull Smash (obviously, Barrier shift is useless to inflict Jell)

-JellTachyon gun, Jell level 5, whatever %s you want, Thriller combo (This one is if you don't want to risk getting hit too much while inflicting Jell)

-Celeb/LifeTachyon gun, Celeb/life level 5, whatever %s you want, Thriller combo (That's for the melee resistant mobs. Even with 0 POW mats, HUney can deal around 250 damage per hit with thriller combo. I prefer life on this one, since you don't really need to to dodge a lot if you're shooting stuff from afar.)
*The best would be to have 4 of each of these weps -except the shield and guns- with a 50+% in different attributes.*

-Rika's suit, 4 slot

-4 D/Guards

-100 Guard MAG, with whatever nature that makes you invincible (you already have deband as a HUney anyways, so a nature that boosts DFP is optional)

That would be the best Guard HUney. But...Once again, guard builds are best left to HUcast/caseal (RAcast/caseal have WAY too low DFP for this and a 4-slot Kepler suit is a pain in the arse to get), since they have access to the highest DFP armors (Carabinier and Mobius plate) and have the best DFP.

...Just my two cents on the matter

RRyuugu
May 12, 2010, 08:20 PM
Let's use a little common sense here.

A DFP Build is about getting hit and not taking a lot of damage. It's counter productive to put almost 200 points in DFP then equip a ranged weapon (unless it's a stage that's resistant to melee)

In SP you have 3 out of 4 NPCs that engage in Melee, in MP the chances that you party with at least 1 melee char is high. If you're going to stay in the back with a gun then those DFP points are just going to waste.

A good alternate build is supposed to make the best use out of the "alternate" stats you put your Mats and build your MAG in. Not doing something like throwing 200 points in MST then equipping an ATP weapon.

A better DFP Ranger would be one that uses Claire Doubles. At least that way the DFP would start to matter. Because if it's just about not getting killed, using ranged weapons already do an amazing job keeping the player safe.

Tolly7249
May 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't get to play online and frankly the AI characters are useless even as meat shields. Ergo, my DFP is still important, even though I am a RAmarl.

Stupid Sarisa, she never seems to heal...

RRyuugu
May 12, 2010, 10:24 PM
Now you're just making stuff up.

AI characters are extremely sturdy, I've never seen all of them die in the same room except against bosses. Even 2 Arkzeins at the top floors of SH ET will take some time wiping out 3 NPCs.

As for bosses, most of them are easy especially with ranged weapons. And against bosses, HP is more useful than DFP.

I've run a pure ATP RAmarl who only used Rifles and Handguns to 90+ and I don't even think I ever died even once with her.

FOmarRashidi
May 12, 2010, 11:25 PM
I attempted a hunter force as well with my now level 100 FOmar. He has 100 power materials, a mag with 99 accuracy and 1 mind for flozir, one divine, two hero powers, and a compress PA. At the moment, He's shy a good gun but he does well with a couple of level 4 Celeb Fenrirs with Air Ride PA, especially when the hostiles are weak against melee. Oh, he heals for 350hp when Shifta'ed.

Tolly7249
May 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
Now you're just making stuff up.

AI characters are extremely sturdy, I've never seen all of them die in the same room except against bosses. Even 2 Arkzeins at the top floors of SH ET will take some time wiping out 3 NPCs.

You know, just because my observations differ from yours doesn't mean I'm making things up. The NPCs die entirely too quickly in MY EXPERIENCE, especially because they keep running straight into the most dangerous possible location. (i.e. Right into Arkzein missiles. Repeatedly.)

How about exercising some of the tolerance these forums are supposed to be famous for, people?

RRyuugu
May 14, 2010, 12:36 AM
Arkzein AI forcibly switches to melee attacks provided any target is nearby.

If we were to talk about experiences, I've seen other people playing and their Rangers and various characters using ranged weapons (and I'm pretty certain, considering the people that I play with, these were all pure ATP or MST for Slicers) and hiding behind the NPCs or other party members rarely got themselves hit.

When I started playing this game and asked for advice after being repeatedly beaten by Reyburn, the first piece I got was, and I quote, "Use guns it turns the entire game into easy mode" Never had to ask for help ever again.

DFP is underutilized for a character that's stays away from the front of the action.

Broken_L_button
May 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
When I started playing this game and asked for advice after being repeatedly beaten by Reyburn, the first piece I got was, and I quote, "Use guns it turns the entire game into easy mode" Never had to ask for help ever again.

DFP is underutilized for a character that's stays away from the front of the action.

I'll have to agree with RRyuugu on this one; guns totally negate the need for a DFP build, since you only need to position yourself right, shoot until the mobs drop, roll once to use the "PA scapegoat" effect (look at ARChan's subtle gameplay trick for that one) and keep shooting.

Besides, the game itself makes DFP unadiviseable for Rangers; their base DFP is so low that investing in it wouldn't be very profitable compared to Hunters (except the Newman ones, they're better off beefing up EVP a BIT). The only use a gun COULD have on a DFP oriented build would be either for melee-resistant mobs or for quickly inflicting a status ailment (mainly Jellen) from afar.

...Just my two cents.

Chukie sue
May 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
I had previously been working on several "fun" characters, as I was curious to see how they would work out. Two of these include:

Melee FOmar LV 100 - 100 Power mats - 100 Power mag w/ flozir (Paru)

Equips: Ancient Robe 4s
Divine Power
Divine Power
Divine Power
Divine Power

And an Emporer Axeon for each level with different stats..

Definetly a possible built. Solo's quite easilly in offline mode, 400- ish healing resta with the ability to buff and debuff makes for a nice "FUnter"?

And:

Tank HUcast LV 100 - 80 HP mats - 100 Def mag w/ midgul

Maximum HP: 1142 ;D

Equips: Mobius Plate 4s
Divine HP
Divine HP
Divine HP
Divine HP

Different shields with barrier shift....

This would only be a build worth considering if you ALWAYS play online with 2-3 GOOD party members. Barrier shift is helpful, put I hit an average of 80's with shields.

My HUmar is something like:

LV 100 - 50 pow/50 mind mats 50pow/50mind mag w/ Flozir - 100 Power mag w/ Flozir

Carabinier 4s (<3)
PA Save LV 3
Compress PA
Slow Protect (varyable)
PP Recov 5

Usually sports around a Celeb Morgenlote...

Then I have your average FOmarl...

HUnewearl - 9x - 80 EVP mats - 100 power Flozir mag - 100 Mind flozir mag - 100 Def flozir mag. (Paru is teh winzors)

Rika's Suit 4s
Divine... uh... whatever the evp one is again lol - its been awhile :/

Sporting around a Rika's claw... Yeah, this one was the epitome of evade...

You might wanna look here too, TC: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176388

And for the record: My AI's suck ._.

ARChan
May 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Well, if you're going for something with a RAmar/marl, might as well go for an EVP/MST setup. Granted that you're good at using Jellen, a lot of melee enemies and Arkzein missiles could miss. Yeah, that's right. Arkzein missiles are considered melee damage. Packs quite a punch, doesn't it? ^^; This setup should also work very well with a slicer of some sort.

Anyway, if you're curious about what BLB was talking about (the PA Scapegoat thing), click on the link in my siggy. You should notice that Ranger weapons seem to have the most loopholes. Haha!

randotenshin
May 17, 2010, 03:57 PM
Anybody know a good for a HUnewearl Slicer-User Build? Slicers use MST for damage right so I will need alot of that. Should I also focus on ATA for accuracy as well or maybe get some EVP for defense purposes or will a good Deband cast take care of that?

ARChan
May 17, 2010, 04:45 PM
It would seem to have at least a total of 50 Hit would make them effecient with slicers. That's what I've seen from my HUnewearl ^^;

Galax
May 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
Well, if you're going for something with a RAmar/marl, might as well go for an EVP/MST setup. Granted that you're good at using Jellen, a lot of melee enemies and Arkzein missiles could miss. Yeah, that's right. Arkzein missiles are considered melee damage. Packs quite a punch, doesn't it? ^^; This setup should also work very well with a slicer of some sort.

Anyway, if you're curious about what BLB was talking about (the PA Scapegoat thing), click on the link in my siggy. You should notice that Ranger weapons seem to have the most loopholes. Haha!

Heh, my RAmar is gonna be pure pow until 100, then I might switch it up. Not sure though. Oh and he's lv92 atm, so it shouldn't be long until I try something else.

Chukie sue
May 17, 2010, 08:07 PM
Anybody know a good for a HUnewearl Slicer-User Build? Slicers use MST for damage right so I will need alot of that. Should I also focus on ATA for accuracy as well or maybe get some EVP for defense purposes or will a good Deband cast take care of that?

Some people say 520 is the magic ATA number while others say 540 is. Anyway:

HUnewearl LV 100 = 278 ATA
+ 171 ATA from kouga shuriken
+ 50 ATA from shinobi suit (set bonus) =

That means you need to come up with 21/41 ATA between your materials and mag to reach your magic number. Then put the rest of your material/mag space to MST or whatever you please.

G'day :3

randotenshin
May 17, 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks alot guys! :D

I will try that Giant Ninja Shurken build. =D

Chukie sue
May 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
^-^

Usually Shurikens are frowned upon - people like them other shurikens with celeb and junk. I prefer my kouga though <3

Just a heads up:

Shinobi suits are found in Paru/Kouga's are found in Ozette :)

Broken_L_button
May 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
As for the HUney slicer build, you might as well use techs against CERTAIN evasive mobs, if not all enemies. Since Kouga/Fuuma Shuriken are terrible for physical damage (150 with a normal attack in SH is the best I've seen on most mobs, and my HUney has about 1K+ MST. Furthermore, you're liable to miss a LOT), you're better off using the tech's innate boosts to replace the lack of Celeb or whatever element you use if you're obssessed with DPS.

If you use the proper tech, you can strike for 250-300 per tech (Spamming Foie tears through Ozette, Rioh and even Paru to a certain extent for example...In fact, I've outdamaged a FOmar with a P-wand who was spamming grants in Ozette and both of us had level 3 Shifta). The only areas that MIGHT be problematic are Dark shrine And Valley; in Dark Shrine, your techs will do 150 at most, while, in Valley, you'll be forced to use Barta and we all know most people can't use that one properly. On those areas, if you plan on using the Shurikens instead of a CelebEridanus, I'd suggest spamming Bright sign; even at around 470 ATA, I don't miss with it. Then again, using techs becomes futile if you're using one of those Celeb slicers.

As for your defensive stats (HP, DFP, EVP), don't bother with them. Though, getting EVP to 692 by using your equipment is nice, since that value offers a decent dodge rate, even in SH.

Now, for the tl;dr version:
-Put all mats in MST
-Get a MAG with MST and ATA
-Pack some Divine/Minds, tech save level 3(for shuriken tech spam)/element boost(for generic CelebSlicer PA spam). A compress PA doesn't hurt either, but, if you plan your moves well, it becomes optional at best.
-Try to get a slicer with Acc. Adj. if you want to be able to fall back on normal-heavy attacks
-KEEP SHIFTA CASTED AT ALL TIMES
-Get a gap/obstacle between you and your foe and spam your PAs/techs. They can't reach you, but you can pummel them in that situation (this is better explained in ARChan's "Subtle Gameplay tricks" thread).
-If you're using Techs:
~Barta in Valley (but Zonde is better on Vulkures) and Makara (but Foie works better on bats)
~Foie in Ozette, Rioh and Paru (but spam Zonde on those robots)
~Zonde in Arca (except for the Fingyers and Arkorses)
~Foie and Zonde in Dark Shrine (Zonde is only for the Phobos and Zaphobos)
With that, you can do 200-300 damage everywhere except in Dark shrine, where you'll do at most 150-200.
-Stay far. Using a slicer up close is...Well...Pure folly.

P.S.: I prefer Fuuma myself. Goes well with my HUney's colors. Bright sign combined with it's level 2 heaven usually takes out a few small mobs per room in SH, so that's been useful to me.