PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day when things were cool...

Palle
May 19, 2010, 03:42 PM
...they were much cooler than they are today. That's what you'll tell your kids anyway, though wily and willful as they will be, they won't believe you. So you'll need proof, which this thread aims to provide, for posterity. It'll learn those whippersnappers that they can never be as cool as you. That's the essence of sound parenting, right?

I submit for your approval: Cartoon Network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRtSNyXzWzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSPqJQ3uqo

Outrider
May 19, 2010, 03:48 PM
Toonami was a classy, classy act back in the day.

Kirukia
May 19, 2010, 05:04 PM
Outlaw Star for the epic win.

Nitro Vordex
May 19, 2010, 05:29 PM
Not to be confused with...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3DAtHO8x0&feature=related

Volcompat321
May 19, 2010, 05:56 PM
Oh look, there is some great anime.

:wacko:

Seth Astra
May 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
Toonami was a classy, classy act back in the day.
Agreed. There were many good shows on there. It's a shame it's gone. Since then Cartoon Network has rapidly degraded into the pathetic excuse that it is now.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
Adventure Time - finally got to see on Cartoon Network, primetime slotted 8 PM.

Very cool, for the new kids. But that's my only example of new school. Definitely multiple examples within that one example though.

You got your zombie candy people, regular candy people who might explode if they were aware of the impending doom, lessons about lying and consequences, exclamations about "Mathematical!" even though "Hey, you're no good at math..", vampire rockstar women evictions, who turn the cheek finally after battling them to near death, hypnotoad worms, and a return to the moral of the story by learning not to break promises/lie, because when he did - he got to experience zombie/etc. above and save the world with 2+2 = 4.

-
Jackie Chan Adventures was also pretty cool, and that's years old long gone to the kids now too.

BIG-O
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Jack
Trigun
Gundam Wing - even if Solstis debunked its cool compared to other Gundam series. It fits with the timeline of these other blocks of shows even if it fell off earlier to never return so it gets that rose glass eye treatment when Bebop/Trigun still ran.

Volcompat321
May 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
Oh look, there is some great anime.

You're absolutely right Ryna. How could I have been so wrong?!?:wacko:

If only Batman Beyond was as great animated show as some of these were!

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 19, 2010, 10:20 PM
I tried to report Pat's "Oh Sh*t" title thrice. Saying like "Oh sick!" Shoot/etc does the same thing. But it seemed the world wouldn't let me so I gave up on that endeavor and it'll drop down the list soon enough.

So your Batman Beyond making you swear crazy, possibly not good kid programming is cool. & I only thought its "(I'm) the Goddamned Batman," and you know he says it about himself!

Volcompat321
May 20, 2010, 03:20 AM
Ryna, you crazy man.

Seriously, down with anime!
I kid, of course.

Though I wish I was into it as much as everyone else I know.
Then maybe I wouldn't be so bored, or angry they're making me watch such shows.

When they do this, and I try to get back at them, and put Family Matters on, I get tackled for the remote and they all change it to Family Guy or something.

I don't mind Family Guy, but I think I've seen every episode at least 4 times...
It gets old, repetitive, and boring, real fast.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2010, 05:40 AM
When they do this, and I try to get back at them, and put Family Matters on, I get tackled for the remote and they all change it to Family Guy or something.

I don't mind Family Guy, but I think I've seen every episode at least 4 times...
It gets old, repetitive, and boring, real fast.
Not even to learn where that (even more subculture used once and then no more) meme came from, CARL WINSLOWNED?!

Of course the Internet did it wrong, with no Urkel and broken things and then Carl upset faces in the same frame, just-- Carl Winslow.

Lately I've been watching More Family Matters and (for a long time anyway) Less Family Guy, so that there you know I'm not one of your wacky friends Pat cat.

Sayara
May 20, 2010, 10:23 AM
ask and you will recieve.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Snoopychan/Winsowned.jpg

Anyway; the best dope shit i remember from Toonami was when they had Tenchi Muyo. Now that's the prima ala prima.

Outrider
May 20, 2010, 10:36 AM
Anybody remember the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest?

I enjoyed the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

(Also, Batman Beyond was pretty awesome.)

Sayara
May 20, 2010, 10:37 AM
the real? Wasn't that the updated version? I never liked Jonny Quest in the first place..

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
Anyway; the best dope shit i remember from Toonami was when they had Tenchi Muyo. Now that's the prima ala prima.
Even_Jin's show. Tenchi in Tokyo, nope. Portugal.

Johnny Quest parody in Venture Bros. is cool though.

Ryna
May 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
Anybody remember the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest?

I enjoyed the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

That show is best left as a pleasant memory. The show doesn't stand up too well on its own anymore, especially the computer graphics parts.

Zeek123
May 20, 2010, 09:11 PM
Batman Beyond was a great show. Kevin Conroy even delivered as an old Bruce Wayne.

Cartoon Network has been on a fast decline ever since they ditched Toonami. Adult Swim is the piece of shit is now too.

Palle
May 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
Not to disregard what is being said, just noting that my original intention was to cast light on the network as but an example of such a decline. Well, that and to see where FKL would take a thread based on the demoralization of children.

Here's another: Sonic the Hedgehog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1zdPhVrbh8

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2010, 11:10 PM
Dexter's Labor-a-tory

Buncha FKL'ers like that. Lil Bro watched a lot of it back in the heyday. Forced me to learn about them Supamagooslamoose [sic], "omelette du' fromage" his only phrase sentence he learned, but I'm older and got that Encino Man - better one about "Queso, and where is your bano," - which might have even played before on the Cartoon Network?

Their new things,
Chowder?
Some Summer Camp one?

wat is this i don't even *eat hamd*

And at least 2 FKL people talked about eating babies all the time, one lately that Alnet makes no concessions for people, and probably eats the babies too.

Nitro Vordex
May 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YgupUZNdw

/thread?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2010, 11:47 PM
/thread?
Well if you do that.

Not until that one brother does the lean to karate pose.

[spoiler-box]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/XviolataX/m_71c69e7b1a5d4736ff1b666ecf67801b.gif[/spoiler-box]

Power Rangers got monopolized into FOX Kids though. My not have ever gotten on CNetwork?

Outrider
May 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
the real? Wasn't that the updated version? I never liked Jonny Quest in the first place..

It was an updated version, but the full title of it was "The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest."

I guess because bad computer graphics make it more real?

That show is best left as a pleasant memory. The show doesn't stand up too well on its own anymore, especially the computer graphics parts.

Even at the time I was disappointed with the QuestWorld stuff.

However, if I recall correctly, the later batch of episodes ditched the complete computer graphics sections and just used traditional animation for QuestWorld. It made things a lot easier to watch.

(Also, does anybody remember how the animation style changed drastically halfway through the show? According to Wikipedia, there were originally going to be two Johnny Quest shows - one a bit darker and dealing with an older Johnny crew, while the other would be more light-hearted and similar to the classic series. They wound up mashing them together into seasons 1 + 2 of the same show.)