PDA

View Full Version : like pso-psu

unclean666
May 27, 2010, 08:14 AM
hi im looking for a game like pso-psu on any platform old or new.

ive been looking all day searching everything i could think of so maybe theres really not one

but im looking more for games with DROPS like pso-psu then gameplay but not mmorpgs like wow and so on with open world games.

thanks anything helps

ps it doesent even have to be online offline game thats prob older is fine to

Ryna
May 27, 2010, 09:26 AM
Do you have a Sony PSP? If so, you might want to consider picking up Phantasy Star Portable 2. I find it to be the most advanced version of the game in the PSU series.

Someone recently mentioned to me that they found White Knight Chronicles on the PS3 to be very similar to PSO. It maybe worth checking out.

Shou
May 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
Monster Hunter games are very similar to PSU/PSO. Doesn't have massive online communities but the action and enemy AI is of a much higher quality.

If you want online, I don't really know of any other MMOs that are not point-and-click like PSO/PSU. It is what makes the PS online series stand out from the rest.

unclean666
May 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
played all the monster hunters. i just want a game i can treasure hunt in thats not an mmorpg

Tomeeboy
May 27, 2010, 01:07 PM
played all the monster hunters. i just want a game i can treasure hunt in thats not an mmorpg

If you're just looking for a dungeon crawler / treasure hunting game and don't care if it has online play, you should pick up Torchlight. There's some good loot hunting in that game and it is pretty well put together. Biggest downside of the game is that it doesn't have any multiplayer whatsoever. I'm hoping they'll release a multiplayer version eventually on XBLA and PSN.

As Ryna mentioned (and I'm probably the one that told him this), White Knight Chronicles on PS3 has some very similar elements as PSO. It also has a pretty decent multiplayer aspect. Item hunting and binding (crafting) your own equipment is a pretty big part of the game.

unclean666
May 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
yeah thanks tomeeboy torchlight looks pretty cool ill try the demo.

can you tell me though if you find like a breastplate and put it on does it change or look the same?

Tomeeboy
May 27, 2010, 01:57 PM
yeah thanks tomeeboy torchlight looks pretty cool ill try the demo.

can you tell me though if you find like a breastplate and put it on does it change or look the same?

Yeah, I believe that different pieces of equipment will have different visual styles.

BTW... the game will run you about $20 right now, though I've seen the digital version on sale on Steam or Direct2Drive for less (not right now, though). Amazon has it for $19.99 and you may as well get the boxed version with the disc if the digital versions are the same price ;)

Kent
May 27, 2010, 08:00 PM
Borderlands has near-endless amounts of different guns and other equipment that can drop from enemies. It's an RPG and a FPS through-and-through, but not like other "similar" games one might find with that descriptor - instead of having a shooter interface tacked onto an RPG (or vice versa), it is both at the same time (e.g. your weapons have various stats, but if your bullet hits an enemy... it hits an enemy).

It's a very good game, and pretty much the best release of 2009, and is available on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Once you really get into it, it will last you a very, very long time.

stinkyfish97
May 28, 2010, 08:57 AM
Dragon Age Orgins, Borderlands, and Too Human

I would especially give Too Human a good try. I was completly suprised at how addicted I got to it once I started playing, there are so many weapons, different classes of guns and different classes of Melee, and you have quite a bit of class cutomization you can do, and each class has different strengths and weaknesses. The combat is a little wierd at first but once you get used to it, you will get addicted to it. There isnt a whole ton of levels but the levels are fun in a repetative way. I think it unfairly got bad reviews because it is a little bit unconventional of a game. I am going to go rent the game again now, thanks. lol. I am serious though at first you will probably not like the controls at all. I actually rented the game once previous and hated it, I was to into PSU at the time and was like, this just isnt as good as PSU, but as I had no money to pay my Guardians license I borrowed this game from a friend and fell in love with it. Now there is a trading system so you can trade items, but it is only a Co-Op game, not a massive online community although there are plenty of games to join. What i love about it is you can have players come and go as they please. 2 players is enough, anymore and the game would be too easy like PSU. Also the penelty for death is your armor and weapons get damanged, which you later pay money to repair. Just give the game a try more than just an hour, it might take an hour just to get good with controlling your character.

Borderlands also should get a good mention but I love melee and borderlands is a game where melee just doesnt dominate, its all about guns in that game, it is deffinetly fun though, I got a little bored of it because it gets to easy with 4 people, much like PSU does.

Havent played Dragon Age but lost a few friends from PSU to it, and they were the real serious types on PSU with all the good stuff, putting in like min 5 hours a day like I was, at one point I was putting in like 15 hours a day to PSU, lets just say not healthy, I went from 175lbs to 210lbs in just a couple of months!

Other games you could try, but arent online.

Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Star Wars KOTOR, Jade Empire, Morrowind and Oblivion

Fallout 3 is a great all around game with quite a bit to keep you busy, again not much as far as melee but there is more than Borderlands.

Mass Effect series, well I actually enjoyed the first Mass Effect more than the second one. Why? Simply because although the second Mass Effect was more refined, I feel they over refined it, made it to simple, and took away all the customization that I loved in the first one. I loved the combat in both, but hunting stuff in the first one was what it was all about, this one only has a few weapons that arent even upgradable.

Star Wars KOTOR, I know Star Wars, but it isnt Star Wars in that sense. Both KOTOR 1 and 2 are amazing games with amazing game play. If you dont like Turn based games, dont shy away from these games because you hate Turn Based, the combat is actually quite good even in Turn Based form and you can find different items even in the 2nd and 3rd go around with this game. You dont even have to use a light saber for combat, although it is the most powerful. There are Rifles, Heavy big laser guns, handguns which you can equip up to 2 of them. There are mines and grenades of different sorts. There isnt just light sabers either, their are bladed weapons as both 2 handed and 1 handed. There are different armor classes. There is a lot of character customization and the nice thing is being a Jedi you do get powers, such as heal, electrocution, choke. Basically it isnt just a Star Wars game, the combat is different than what you see in the movies and the story has nothing to do with the movies. I think the combat of the 2nd Knights of the Old Republic is more refined and overall is better, but the first one has a better storyline to it. There are tons of weapons and armors and each one of your companions has different abilities as well. Great game unfortunatly it isnt online.

Jade Empire is similar to KOTOR, made by same people, actually Mass Effect was made by the people who made the first KOTOR.

Morrowind: Elder Scrolls, let me just say this, wow. I am still playing that game it feels never ending, there is way to much to do, and it gets a little repetitive, combat gets that way as well, but holy cow this game is expansive and fun. So much customization and combat. Oblivion is just an updated more refined version, and much like Mass Effect 2, I didnt like Oblivion as much as the original. Just because you refine the combat, doesnt mean I am going to like that you took all the customization out, even if it makes the combat smoother. Morrowind can only be played on the original xbox and as to my knowledge hasnt been converted to the 360. :-(

As far as games like PSU, there is no substitute unfortuanatly. I hope my suggestions keep you busy for a bit at the very least. I would most deffinetly give Too Human a shot, maybe even more than one. I know its a little strange at first but hunting rares is highly addictive.

unclean666
May 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
ive heard too human from a few searchs and what not i think my kid rented it one time.

can you make your own chara in too human or do you have to play with the blue looking dude with lines all on him.

also if any one else is looking too GhostX free mmo is kind of like psu-pso

Kent
May 29, 2010, 01:54 AM
Borderlands also should get a good mention but I love melee and borderlands is a game where melee just doesnt dominate, its all about guns in that game, it is deffinetly fun though, I got a little bored of it because it gets to easy with 4 people, much like PSU does.
It's worth noting that just because the game is all about the guns, doesn't mean that all guns are necessarily designed to be used at range (and I'm not even talking about things like shotguns) - a good few guns are designed specifically around their melee attachments, such as blades, bayonets or spikes, which add to melee damage. On top of this, only one of the game's four classes doesn't get at least one thing that improves on their melee combat.

For two of those classes, Berserker and Hunter, melee damage actually is dominant (the former because the action skill and more than an entire skill tree are dedicated to it, and the latter because of a single, incredibly-powerful skill called Lethal Strike, which can actually make your melee damage hit the damage cap on level-appropriate targets - with some of the highest potential hits from guns being around a quarter of that). For the Siren, the action skill only deals damage within close proximity, and there are many skills within all of the trees that have other functions that only work within close range.

So while gunplay is certainly a large part of the game itself, you can make melee combat a huge part of your own playstyle through skills and equipment - but just like with PSO, you shouldn't expect to only be doing one thing with your character.

FirefoxKyuubi
May 29, 2010, 07:53 AM
God Eater for PSP

Already one of the more popluar games in Japan cause it's just like Monster hunter. There's already a 2 planned.

stinkyfish97
May 29, 2010, 10:17 AM
It's worth noting that just because the game is all about the guns, doesn't mean that all guns are necessarily designed to be used at range (and I'm not even talking about things like shotguns) - a good few guns are designed specifically around their melee attachments, such as blades, bayonets or spikes, which add to melee damage. On top of this, only one of the game's four classes doesn't get at least one thing that improves on their melee combat.

For two of those classes, Berserker and Hunter, melee damage actually is dominant (the former because the action skill and more than an entire skill tree are dedicated to it, and the latter because of a single, incredibly-powerful skill called Lethal Strike, which can actually make your melee damage hit the damage cap on level-appropriate targets - with some of the highest potential hits from guns being around a quarter of that). For the Siren, the action skill only deals damage within close proximity, and there are many skills within all of the trees that have other functions that only work within close range.

So while gunplay is certainly a large part of the game itself, you can make melee combat a huge part of your own playstyle through skills and equipment - but just like with PSO, you shouldn't expect to only be doing one thing with your character.

I completly agree, maybe I was a little harsh to say their was really no melee. I did play Berserker, but even as a Berserker most of the time stuff was dying so quick that by the time you got close enough to melee the stuff was already dead. I do agree though, you shouldnt just be 1-dimensional with your aproach, me personally I went sub-machine gun, shotgun, and bazooka as my main weapons of choice. The game felt a little Broken playing as a Berserker. Seriously with the right launcher you can just run right into the worst enemies and easily take them all out.

Berserker imho was broken. I ran in there and even if I got downed, as soon as I killed an enemy I was back on my feet with full health. At first as Berserker you can use your Berserker mode to gain health quickly but after you reach max level it is completly obsolete and worthless to use it that way. Its quicker to just get downed and fire bazooka rounds at enemies and as soon as they are lit on fire or curosive damaged they will die pretty quick and then if you took the right tree, you will be back on your feet with full health.

I havent played in a while but I hear they fixed the bird glitch, thank god. I really actually like all the characters but if I had to play a class again it would probably be Berserker, pretty much felt invincible because like I mentioned I can run right into an enemy stronghold, get downed and get back up with full health, and when you add in regen units and all that stuff, it gets ridiculous.

xBULLYDOGG
May 29, 2010, 11:03 AM
Borderlands has near-endless amounts of different guns and other equipment that can drop from enemies. It's an RPG and a FPS through-and-through, but not like other "similar" games one might find with that descriptor - instead of having a shooter interface tacked onto an RPG (or vice versa), it is both at the same time (e.g. your weapons have various stats, but if your bullet hits an enemy... it hits an enemy).

It's a very good game, and pretty much the best release of 2009, and is available on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Once you really get into it, it will last you a very, very long time.

This. I played Borderlands for a good 2-3 months non-stop when we had MAG+ and LOVED it. It's really worth the pick up.

Kent
May 30, 2010, 12:47 AM
I completly agree, maybe I was a little harsh to say their was really no melee. I did play Berserker, but even as a Berserker most of the time stuff was dying so quick that by the time you got close enough to melee the stuff was already dead. I do agree though, you shouldnt just be 1-dimensional with your aproach, me personally I went sub-machine gun, shotgun, and bazooka as my main weapons of choice. The game felt a little Broken playing as a Berserker. Seriously with the right launcher you can just run right into the worst enemies and easily take them all out.

Berserker imho was broken. I ran in there and even if I got downed, as soon as I killed an enemy I was back on my feet with full health. At first as Berserker you can use your Berserker mode to gain health quickly but after you reach max level it is completly obsolete and worthless to use it that way. Its quicker to just get downed and fire bazooka rounds at enemies and as soon as they are lit on fire or curosive damaged they will die pretty quick and then if you took the right tree, you will be back on your feet with full health.

I havent played in a while but I hear they fixed the bird glitch, thank god. I really actually like all the characters but if I had to play a class again it would probably be Berserker, pretty much felt invincible because like I mentioned I can run right into an enemy stronghold, get downed and get back up with full health, and when you add in regen units and all that stuff, it gets ridiculous.
Berserkers are really tough, since they get so much survivability out of relatively few skill points (but then again, they also get an entire tree dedicated to taking damage, so...). Offensively though, they have a harder time dealing with enemies at range than they do in melee, simply because the bonuses they get are a little lackluster in comparison to classes like the Hunter and Siren (pretty much specifically because of the emphasis on explosive damage, which is generally always inferior to the other elements, and launchers are a little inefficient unless you're dealing with groups or rather specific situations, anyway).

xBULLYDOGG
May 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
The best class for borderlands hands down is soldier. I've NEVER been in a tough situation with 'em compared to the other three. Hunters would be next as their bloodwing skill is nearing as deadly as the soldiers turret and can be replenished very quickly and some of their skills like the option to bypass shields are really useful. The only good thing i can think of for sirens is the "easy button" where if you taking to much damage and don't understand the uses of cover you can phase(pussy)walk out of it and their elemental powers are good too. And the Beserk', well, their big, they make a nuisence outta themselves, but they have the ability to increase their shield and health(i think) capacities.

Kent
Jun 1, 2010, 11:00 PM
I don't know about that. I mean, naturally, the soldier is by far the most well-rounded, as they can cover what would be weaknesses to other classes very easily. However, it's also the character that plays most like an "FPS guy," which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They all require different playstyles, which can vary significantly, even within the same class. The Siren, for example, can easily function as a stealth-based character, with some of the more interesting bonuses you can get to Phasewalking (which isn't just a chicken-out move as you may be suggesting - it can be easily used offensively) - or even a major debuffer, with all of her abilities to inflict wide varieties of elemental damage-over-time and daze effects (the latter being hilariously-useful).

I would say that the variety of real gameplay styles you can get into with the game, is a big part of why it's so much fun.

Arika
Jun 1, 2010, 11:51 PM
I think Lost planet 2 -Demo- is very similar to PSO-PSU in term of 4 players go through the forest stage, fight the monster and then warp to boss area at the end. (with better graphic of course)

However, the full version fight human more, so it change into something different.

stinkyfish97
Jun 2, 2010, 10:04 AM
The best class for borderlands hands down is soldier. I've NEVER been in a tough situation with 'em compared to the other three. Hunters would be next as their bloodwing skill is nearing as deadly as the soldiers turret and can be replenished very quickly and some of their skills like the option to bypass shields are really useful. The only good thing i can think of for sirens is the "easy button" where if you taking to much damage and don't understand the uses of cover you can phase(pussy)walk out of it and their elemental powers are good too. And the Beserk', well, their big, they make a nuisence outta themselves, but they have the ability to increase their shield and health(i think) capacities.

Lol. Yeah people who play Berserker arent too good. They dont take advantage of what this class is. Melee and Berserker arent good skills to take, although it seems logical to take Melee because so much of this class's skills are dedicated to Melee and Berserker I wouldnt do that and i will show you why. Instead focus on survivability and whatever weapons skills you do get. I will lay out why you should do this at the end.

Here is where I am currently at and I havent played this game since Christmas Break, so until Jan. 15th for me.

Skills:

Hardened
SafeGuard
DieHard
Unbreakable
optional: Juggernaut or Pay Back

Endowed
Rapid Reload
Wide Load
Cast Iron
Master Blaster
optional: Revenge

Put 5 skill points in each of these catagories, for optional instead of Cast Iron, because there isnt many explosions, you can take one of the optionals I have given you. Essentially what I have done is put all my skill points in tank and blaster. 0 in melee and 0 in Berserker. Why would I have done this? Well the premise behind doing such a thing is easy to see. My stratagy is to get downed near enemies and because of all the blaster skills I have taken it makes my chances of killing an enemy when I am downed that much better. Why do you want to kill an enemy when downed. Well if you have taken the skills I have suggested when you kill an enemy when you are downed you will get back up with nearly all your life and shields.

To put all this in perspective here are my current units I am using:
I am using a Centurion Class Mod, it isnt my best one but it is the best one I can use when I play with other teamates:
The stats are 44% team max health, 3 safeguard, 3 hardened, 4 diehard, and 7 health regen.

when you improve upon the stats you already have taken you become even more a tank. Centurion units are tank units. My current Health with this unit is 2005 and my shields are 2359 when combined with my shield unit. I would have more shields if I was using a different unit but I am using this Centurion unit simply because it has more team health and regen, i actually have one that has +8 regen and 48% team maximum health but it gives me less skill points in the other catagories so I use this one instead.

Now a little on the shield I am using, I have quite a few options. If I use a torgue shield, the one I have has a recharge rate of 222 and a health bonus of 60%, my health would jump up to 2505 but my shields drop to 1352 that is a huge decrease in shields for that much health. The shield I go with isnt my most expensive shield but it has a very good balance.

I use a Tediore shield because it is the only company that gives health regen:
The stats are 1439 shields, a pitiful 124 recharge rate but it has Quick Health Regen and when you combine that with your Centurion unit that gives quick regen and/or another team member with a regen unit your 2000+ health you have will regen very quickly. To supplement the shield having such a low recharge rate, I would take 5 skill points in pay back or in juggernaut instead of putting them in cast iron like i suggested. This helps because as soon as your shields are depleted or you kill an enemy you will gain damage bonus's or will gain damage reduction bonus's.

I hope this brings to light how to play Berserker for some people. All this above info I give only will work the way I describe, if you decide to try to make a tank with melee capabilities it will not work, although you can melee when downed more than not the enemy is to far away to hit. The reason you want to be a good blaster when downed is so to inflict damage to an enemy from distance giving you a chance to get back up.

Strategy: The strategy for playing the way I have layed out the stats is to not go behind cover. What instead you can do is charge into the action as close to enemies as possible and when you get downed you can fire at their feet with rockets, or at their face with whatever weapon you choose, the closer the enemy is the better, the farther they are the less likely you will be able to get back up. Now I am not saying get downed in every situation but you can do that if you want.

On to Weaponry:

Playing as a Berserker, or any class for that matter, always consider elemental damage above anything else. My prefered is Fire with Corrosive a close 2nd. When using my strategy I have layed out above, elemental weapons will be of the upmost importance to you. Especially if enemies decide to run for cover. High rate of fire weapons is also something to look out for, you will want to make sure the SE takes effect and thus you will want to fire a lot of bullets, with accuracy, at them. Weapons with large magazines however isnt a must but can be considered to be a little helpful. Remember with the stats I layed out you took a +60% fire rate and a +20% reload speed. When you combine those 2 skills the reload speed comes in real handy with low magazine weapons such as shotguns.

One note, the most difficult creatures in the game for Berserker's to kill are Guardians, rockets do little to them even with x4 electric, and most of our guns are not good from afar and even if they are Berserkers dont have a lot of skills to dedicate to hitting them from afar. I havent found a great strategy to beat them yet, this might be the only case where I tell you to switch your Centurion mod out for a Berserker Class mode, remember it is important to have multiple strategies when going about your enemies. Berseker mods give you increased melee damage and add skill points to this. Because I layed out a strategy that is purely based on you not having Melee and Berserker you will be quite weak when taking on Guardians. Your Berserker action skill is important when dealing with them, deffinetly think about picking up a good secondary mod that will impove upon your Berserker action skill and your Melee attack when taking on Guardians. Because there is only 2 levels that Guardians are real frequent in, it is pretty easy to let the hunters take them out lol.

I hope this guide I guess you can call it helps anyone who goes Berserker. Maybe someone can write up one for the other classes. I know how I would play the other classes. I would play them around what I have done with my class, to play on my weakness's and to add to my strengths, but that is just me.

stinkyfish97
Jun 2, 2010, 11:58 AM
One flaw in my stategy I should have mentioned is that if you continiously get downed the second wind bar goes down quicker and quicker each time. Getting downed 2 times in a row counts as a death and that is why you get instantly regened if you did not know why you get transported/regened quickly sometimes.

xBULLYDOGG
Jun 2, 2010, 04:17 PM
Oh I have played all 4 characters all the way to the max if anyone thought of bringing that up against me :)

stinkyfish97
Jun 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oh I have played all 4 characters all the way to the max if anyone thought of bringing that up against me :)

lol. no I am not going to start a Beast is better than Cast type of fight with borderlands, I am sure some would though. I mean each class is pretty fairly balanced imho. It depends on your playstyle that is all. It is much the same way in PSO, I mean some races, some classes are better suited for different play styles. One thing is sure though, Hunters in Borderlands have a significant advantage when it comes to anything that has a very tough shield but is completly vulnarable underneath. That 100% shield bypass just destroys Guardians, like I said as a Berserker your best bet is to take shock element Berserker with a ton of melee skills. I just try to avoid Guardians as a Berserker, let the Hunters do all the work.