PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I need a cheap ass computer that's good-

Volcompat321
May 31, 2010, 04:07 AM
Well, since I finally have a job, and I've been working like a madman, I want to buy a desktop computer now.

It needs-

Wireless (lame, I know, but my room is really far from the modem.)
At least 4GB of RAM
At least 500GB HDD.
(would prefer, but don't need) SD card slots/other card reader slots.
Price range- Under $500 is possible. (not including tax, so say about $550 at most?)

Decent gaming video card, but not the best. I wont be playing too many games.
Maybe PSU when those private servers come up, but that's about it.

Just an all around decent computer.

I want to run Photoshop and all that, that's why I want 4GB of RAM.
My laptop can run it (even when brand new) kinda slow, with some lag. :/

I'd prefer a monitor/computer combo (NOT all in one combo, but the set needs to have both) cause I don't have a working screen already. I did, but it cracked. :(

Cant think of anything else that I'd need in a computer. I just want something decent.

May 31, 2010, 07:22 AM
Can't help you at all here, but I would just like to point out that on the forum index page before you go in the fkl sub-forum this thread's title is cut off at "Hey, I need a cheap ass..."

Volcompat321
May 31, 2010, 07:52 AM
Haha that's pretty funny.

Leviathan
May 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
Cheap or good.

You can only pick one.

Volcompat321
May 31, 2010, 07:40 PM
That's not true!
My laptop was (fairly) cheap, and it lasted me a good while.
Would probably still be good if it didn't overheat (which is my fault to begin with).

Not that I did it on purpose, but I was actually hurting it more than helping with my original underneath fan thing.

Anyway, $500 isn't exactly cheap for a decent-good (not great) computer nowadays, so I would say I can get something at least half way good.

The Last Baron
May 31, 2010, 08:46 PM
Try and get something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5753600&CatId=6

It's a nice product (unless you're irrationally afraid of refurbished products). For a little more money you can get this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6272344&CatId=6

Once again nice (and refurbished). That's the stuff you're going to find for a good price with what you want. Just get a cheap, well-reviewed monitor of whatever size you want and you'll be clear for a decent computer that you can upgrade whenever you feel like it. Enjoy.

Tetsaru
May 31, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hey Pat, I hear Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/) usually has some good deals, but I have yet to order from them myself. Also, I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are at actually building your own PC, unless they have a service to construct it for you, which I'm sure would cost you more...

Judging from the specs you listed, I doubt you could get one around $500, but maybe you could around $1,000. If you're wanting to run Photoshop, you're probably going to need a good graphics card anyway, along with a decent processor.

Just to give you an idea, my current computer that I got from Dell cost around $2,000 (keep in mind, this was around 2006 or so, and Dell tends to be expensive) and has:

- 2.40 Ghz dual-core processor
- 2 GB of RAM
- originally had a 256 MB graphics card with 2 DVI ports for two monitors (not the old blue VGA ports; had to downgrade when my power supply got shot)
- 200+ GB of HDD space
- a CD/DVD combo drive and a separate DVD drive
- media card slots, including a floppy drive (never got used, lol)
- 12 USB ports (6 in the back, 2 in the front, and 4 on the monitor that came with it) + 3 firewire ports (2 in the back, 1 in the front... didn't use them either)

Volcompat321
Jun 1, 2010, 01:12 AM
Well, I guess I could save up a little longer.
I wanted it ASAP though. :(

Or what I can do is buy a computer (like the one Baron listed) and use my HDTV as a monitor until the next weeks paycheck or something.

It's a huge TV, so it's not ideal to use it, but I will if I have to.
I'd have to sit pretty far back though lol.
Just have to make sure whatever I get comes with either an HDMI port, or I'll have to buy a VGA cable. (which shouldn't be expensive at all). My TV has both.

astuarlen
Jun 1, 2010, 01:15 AM
http://img.webthrowdown.com/throwdowns/captain-kirk-372-1.jpg

Computer, please calculate the albedo of the twin moons we are now approaching.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 1, 2010, 02:08 AM
captain-kirk-372-1.jpg
Computer, please calculate the albedo of the twin moons we are now approaching.
Fuchsia/Purple colored of the bars and tones clearly has his attention, even as he speaks to the computer. Expert geewjuice.

Katrina
Jun 1, 2010, 08:58 AM
The gumdrops on that table look delicious