PDA

View Full Version : Why use FOmar?

RyanDanger
Jun 17, 2010, 10:51 PM
I've been playing one from the start and now I'm just looking back thinking "This guy could be getting PP regain AND an afro" I'm a novice to the pso world, why use FOmar above any other FO?

Cruciarius
Jun 17, 2010, 10:59 PM
Because FOmars get:

* Has a 75% damage reduction from technique attacks.
* 20% boost to Foie, Barta, Zonde, Rafoie, Rabarta, and Razonde.
* Can use up to 100 materials.

Assuming your other option would be a FOnewm:

* Has a 75% damage reduction from technique attacks.
* 15% boost to ALL attack techniques and 30% reduction to Resta.
* Can use up to 80 materials.
* Has natural PP recovery (+1% every 5 seconds; +5% at rest)

FOmar gets higher boost to his attack techs (aside from megid and grants), no resta reduction and uses 20 more materials. You can always throw on a PP recovery unit, for PP regeneration.

Edit:
You should check this out:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=217

It has info on all the classes, including their bonuses. May help with picking your next character.

pkrockin
Jun 17, 2010, 11:31 PM
Keep in mind that Newman PP regen is not that great. A small regen tick at level 100 will get a FOnewm 6 PP and a large tick will get 30 PP. In groups, you can count on never standing still long enough to get a large tick and the small tick is pretty negligible. Even combined with a Lv 5 PP Regen unit, you're only going to get 11 PP/5 seconds. If you load up on PP mats (probably 25-30 or 1 more PP/5sec and all PP for 2 more PP/5sec), you can push those natural regen ticks to 8/40 PP at level 100 - I'm talking 2.6 PP/second at absolute best when not standing still while wearing a LV5 PP Recovery. You're not going to regen PP fast enough to make it count. Let me tell you what your choices are: 1) learn to hit L+Start every 2-3 rooms and drink a fluid or 2) learn to wait a minute after every 2-3 rooms to regenerate your PP. As someone who has a FOnewm, I just use techs to eliminate the dangerous baddies and attack everything else with a Heart element slicer while wearing a hit/mind mag so I don't miss constantly.

You play a FOnewm if you want to hit second-best with every attack tech and, in exchange, you give up some survivability and (nearly all) weapon proficiency. I don't count the healing reduction as a downside since FOnewm's mind is so high that he can still heal just fine. Might take him 2 Restas to fill up a HUcast instead of one, but it's not a big deal.

Anyway, in favor of FOmar....FOmars are the real hybrids of this game. They can melee decently, shoot decently, live decently, and tech really well. They have the most powerful fire, lightning, and ice techs in the game. With my FOmar, though, I like to outfit him for melee and put all the buff/debuff techs on his palette. His job is to buff the group and debuff the hostiles while whacking them as well. FOmar is a very versatile class/race/gender combo that allows several playstyles and doesn't suck at any of them.

FOmarRashidi
Jun 18, 2010, 02:01 AM
PK Rockin has the right idea with the FOmar.

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2010, 08:55 AM
I would concur. FOmars are hybrids. Though you may need a good amount of mats to fully realize them, they are customizable that way. Battle mage is just one of the styles you can make them, and if you're going for elementals, you're quite an effective Battle mage.

The other reason? (My big reason) The suit, man. FOmars are the *gentlemen* of the game. Got the debonaire tophat, coat, and cane/wand. If there's one thing you can say about FOmars, they're sharp-dressed men who are ready to attend a fancy ball just after taking down some large powerful creature. Or be like Holmes or Professor Layton. (Certain quality's Ferro (my FOmar) takes on)

Arrow
Jun 18, 2010, 10:49 AM
I would concur. FOmars are hybrids. Though you may need a good amount of mats to fully realize them, they are customizable that way. Battle mage is just one of the styles you can make them, and if you're going for elementals, you're quite an effective Battle mage.

The other reason? (My big reason) The suit, man. FOmars are the *gentlemen* of the game. Got the debonaire tophat, coat, and cane/wand. If there's one thing you can say about FOmars, they're sharp-dressed men who are ready to attend a fancy ball just after taking down some large powerful creature. Or be like Holmes or Professor Layton. (Certain quality's Ferro (my FOmar) takes on)

I agree with most everything here
not only did I beat dark falz on first try with my FOmar...he looks like a white general of the military (medieval times ;P)
not only that he is powerful with the proper equip
course I got 4 slot armor on him with the highest pp recovery i have (lvl 3 i believe) + tech save lv...2 i think and all it pretty much is, is this: "GO FOIE! *whoosh* *ka-BOOM*"

Chukie sue
Jun 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
And when you get borred of the usual tech spam, melee FOmars are really fun to play as!

Broken_L_button
Jun 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
FOmar = awesome.

I hath said so, therefore thou canst argue.

And for those who want a more serious argument; FOmar is amongst the chars that can be a jack-of-all-trades. This might put off those who have the mindset "OMG! I GOTTA OUTDAMAGE EVERYONE TO SHOW THE GLORY OF MAH E-PEEN!!!" though. So, if you're like that, stay far from the FOmar. Then again...any char can be a Jack-of-all-trades if built correctly...

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
Well, they can still hold their own, in the upper tier, with elementals. So they haven't really taken the hit like many PS hybrids do. (Small exception made for the uber strong RAmarls of PSO).

Me. I'm just a little peeved at my game for not dropping a barta any higher than 10 for my FOmar. I got every other single technique up to at least 12. But no. The game's lucksmith wants to nerf my Barta knowing it's a way powerful tech. I love using it on groups weak to it, but I keep thinking what it could do if I could get it up to where my other techs are. The leap between 10 and 12 is significant.

My battle technique with Ferro is based on fighting enemies both with techs and just slapping them directly with the staff. The staff damage is nothing to scoff at, just that it hits single targets (outside of PAs). As for PAs, there are some fantastic ones in which I enjoy a little human durability to execute. The Pogo PA hits multiple targets around you, multiple times, at the damage level of a tech. For a single use PA that uses a single use of PP to utilize, that's a nice cost to damage ratio (has some hidden invincibility frames). Particularly useful when you run up to enemies which are strong against your current tech pallette, or Dark Falz himself.

Anyway, the mix up of tech and melee really help preserve PP costs while keeping you from having to swap weapons to make the most of either. What powers your melee staff also powers your tech use. Gun mages aren't bad either, just that you do have yet another thing to manage by being forced to weapon swap.

A word of warning to battle mage builds, that Acc stat becomes quite useful when going to Super Hard. So either by mats, mags, or armor attachments, you may want to invest on using those to boost your Acc around that time. Monsters start to get tougher-skin and/or better evade when you get there, driving up the demands for acc on melee and ranged gear. Of course, most ranged gear have Acc bonuses, meaning that they hit SH enemies with less needed from the character-build themselves.

Galax
Jun 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well, they can still hold their own, in the upper tier, with elementals. So they haven't really taken the hit like many PS hybrids do. (Small exception made for the uber strong RAmarls of PSO).

Me. I'm just a little peeved at my game for not dropping a barta any higher than 10 for my FOmar. I got every other single technique up to at least 12. But no. The game's lucksmith wants to nerf my Barta knowing it's a way powerful tech. I love using it on groups weak to it, but I keep thinking what it could do if I could get it up to where my other techs are. The leap between 10 and 12 is significant.

My battle technique with Ferro is based on fighting enemies both with techs and just slapping them directly with the staff. The staff damage is nothing to scoff at, just that it hits single targets (outside of PAs). As for PAs, there are some fantastic ones in which I enjoy a little human durability to execute. The Pogo PA hits multiple targets around you, multiple times, at the damage level of a tech. For a single use PA that uses a single use of PP to utilize, that's a nice cost to damage ratio (has some hidden invincibility frames). Particularly useful when you run up to enemies which are strong against your current tech pallette, or Dark Falz himself.

Anyway, the mix up of tech and melee really help preserve PP costs while keeping you from having to swap weapons to make the most of either. What powers your melee staff also powers your tech use. Gun mages aren't bad either, just that you do have yet another thing to manage by being forced to weapon swap.

A word of warning to battle mage builds, that Acc stat becomes quite useful when going to Super Hard. So either by mats, mags, or armor attachments, you may want to invest on using those to boost your Acc around that time. Monsters start to get tougher-skin and/or better evade when you get there, driving up the demands for acc on melee and ranged gear. Of course, most ranged gear have Acc bonuses, meaning that they hit SH enemies with less needed from the character-build themselves.

Just so you know, a FOmar's ATA is, apprently quite good at lv100, for a FO.
If you can come up with a good AO, that's also good for you, seeing as it's ATA helps out. My FOmar, at lv88, hardly ever misses in SH shrine with Magical Sign, only when Shifta'd though..Somehow, I miss less when Shifta'd. There's no visible boost to ATA, I've checked on that, but there's no denying it; I hit more with Shifta as opposed to without.

But, if you wanna do melee damage with a Force weapon, a Rod will probably leave you better off for the MST boost (Such as Kerykion[SP?] vs AO).

leviayurashyguy
Jun 18, 2010, 05:51 PM
FOmar has the highest damage bonus to techs most effective in 6/7 of the game's areas, or otherwise the game's best tech spammer

FOmar has the highest ATP/ATA ratio of the FO's, making him the best FO to use HU/RA weapons.

As Fluids are extremely common and cheap, PP is not an issue. w/ Fluids, a FO has a mana pool 9-19x its max PP. this is assuming that Fluids are not dropped throughout the stage, when in fact they are.

FOmar's greatest weakness is it's lack of bonus to Gimegid which is a major utility tech in DPS and low MST used for Magical Sign, Rodeo Drive, and Slicers. if this is put into consideration, FOmar is the weakest of the FO's

Akaimizu
Jun 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
A FOmar at 100 has good ATA. But a lot of folks with a FOmar may reach SH before reaching level 70, like I did. The ATA, at that level, is a world of difference. So the idea is that you need to supplement that until your levels can carry your ATA high enough.

Blue_Beast
Jun 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
where are you>,< people add me and send me a pm saying you did so and i will be on right this minute and give you a a ultra rare photon drop lol
Edit: i uh i think im in the wrong thing... lol

Seth Astra
Jun 19, 2010, 01:35 PM
@levia: I'd disagre on the "best tech spammer" detail. Sure, they might have better % bonuses, but after doing the math, the differance in power isn't that massive (due to newman's higher MST). Also, note that I didn't apply bonuses for techs. I'll go through more math later. However, I do agree that FOmars are gimped by the lack of megid bonus. Very useful for grouping enemies so it's easier for your team to hit them all. Also, gimegid even sets up for 1-2 regular megid techs (due to the blast radius). Of course, I may be somewhat biased for the usefulness of megid, since I play a FOnewearl (30% bonus to the tech).

Also, on my FOnewearl, I find that the PP regen is somewhat helpful, when combined with a unit. It's not massive, but every bit helps. Hey, if you get a few more techs off before using a fluid, that's something.

pkrockin
Jun 20, 2010, 08:57 AM
It's true that between a FOmar and a FOnewm, both with a pure mind build, the difference in strength between their Foie/Zonde/Barta techs is small. The FOmar edges out the FOnewm, but narrowly. The FOnewm still has a bonus to Megid/Grants, though, which is why he makes the best all-around damage tech spammer, not considering the resistances of hostiles.

Macman
Jun 21, 2010, 05:02 PM
My FOmar with a Tech Save lv3, PP Regen lv5, and Magical Sign is a murder machine.
I love him to death. :3

Codename: Delta
Jun 22, 2010, 12:39 PM
FOmars are awesome, ive been one ever since they were playable. i did play that old DC v1 before FOmar was a class lol, then i played a FOnewm and a RAmar.

Akaimizu
Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hmm. Tech Save 3 combined with Level 5 regen is pretty nice. I still haven't landed units that good. (Actually, lost a couple of the lower versions of those units, recently) Still, I know I'll see more drop, as time goes on.

But for me, as I said, FOmars get the clothes of a gentleman who knows how to dress. To quote a line from Ironman - The Movie, "I love this suit!"