PDA

View Full Version : 3D Movies Suck

joefro
Jun 18, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hard.

I hate it, so, so, so much. Even Avatar *gasp*

I think my biggest problem with it is wearing the glasses. I'm nearly blind without my normal glasses, so I have to wear the 3D glasses over my regular glasses, which is a pain in the ass. Not to mention that my peripheral vision isn't covered by the 3D glasses, making the movie look weird. I'm getting lasik surgery done on my eyes next week, so maybe I'll enjoy 3D more, with only one pair of glasses on.

Another thing that bothers me, is that it is so gimmicky. I don't get what it adds to the experience. I get more sick than I do excited when seeing a 3D movie. My brain gets so confused for many reasons. It gets confused because I don't know what to look at. The 3D severely messes with my depth perception.

I also hate when the alternate the text in the credits. That really pisses me off. One line of text will be in the background and the other line will be in the foreground, which pisses me off, severely.

I'm stating this rant because I just went see Toy Story 3 in 3D tonight, and I thought that the 3D implementation was the worst I've seen yet. It added nothing to the experience, whatsoever. Sometimes I'd even lift my glasses to see if the movie was actually in 3D. I hate Disney for pushing 3D so much and tacking it onto each movie that comes out. The only movie that had slightly decent 3D, was Avatar. At least it felt right, unlike every other 3D movie out there.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 18, 2010, 05:08 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-nintendo-3ds/101510

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 06:18 AM
im gonna have to agree, mostly but not entirely, i wish they stopped using it too, everyon just freaks wen they hear *insert movie here* is in 3D, and i just think, y does it really matter. when im watchin movies, i dont really notice anyth 3D affects at all after the first 5 minutes or so, and im pretty mad about game systems going 3d too, altho at least witrh 3DS u can turn it off.

joefro
Jun 18, 2010, 06:31 AM
I've never experienced a video game in 3D, so I can't offer an opinion on it. I will say, however, that if it is anything like the movies, it won't be good. After all the positive things being said about the 3DS and its glasses-free technology, I'll give it a shot. I will never be sold on the PS3 3D, though. Especially not if I have to get a new TV and expensive glasses to go with.

Sinue_v2
Jun 18, 2010, 07:06 AM
Well, I've got good new and bad news for you. The good news is, 3D is a dead technology. What we're seeing now is just a short blip of a revival... and eventually it will move beyond needing the glasses to something more like alternating frames in parallax, getting rid of the glasses... but even that is just transitory. The end goal will be Augmented Reality. Think... holodeck from Star Trek, except without the holograms. Instead, you'll have direct optical stimulation which acts as a "filter" or "digital plane" between physical reality and perceptual reality.

The Bad News... it's going to require glasses. Right now, they're using cell phones and PC's, but soon you'll be wearing the glasses tethered to your cellphone with a discreet video cable... and then all enclosed within the glasses themselves. Perhaps for greater functionality, there will be a chassis that you can implant into your skull to allow easy access for upgrading hardware and removal for recharging... sort of like cochlear implants, but without the direct nerve stimulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_u34kV9go0

Of course, that's just a fictional depiction from a movie. Sci-Fi right? Not quite. Companies like BMW are already working on prototypes for these AR units for their service techs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ywMb6SeGc

On the upside of this, given a few years, they will transition away from glasses to contact lenses (http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/augmented-reality-in-a-contact-lens/0)... and from there, direct stimulation of the optic nerves or the visual cortex. At the same time, EEG based BCI interfaces will continue to advance (there's already some commercial versions), allowing thought-based manipulation of the AR interface. What is especially promising is the possibility for external cortical stimulation. Generally, the brain will do most of the work on it's own "filling in the blanks" of stimuli and creating sensation during viewing. For example, the body transfer illusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHP2liY0oDE

But this could be enhanced with direct stimulation, targeting a specific region of the brain responsible for, say, scent cues or spatial orientation.

So imagine you're watching Cliffhanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOW1rhZCTmg

This will allow you to "step into" Sylvester Stallone's perspective, complete with not only full visual and auditory representation of the character's perspective - but additional sensory info, such as stimulation of the part of the parietal lobe where spatial orientation is processed. I doubt we'll know enough about the brain by that point to "control perception" in any way... but just interjecting a bit of noise can interfere with the orientation enough to cause vertigo, adding to the sensation that you're really "in" the movie.

So yeah... fuck the hype over 3D. It's a neat effect for the time being, but nothing (IMO) to really champion or invest in. AR is the future... and 3D, it's like a fashion statement, back in style and soon to be forgotten again.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jun 18, 2010, 09:19 AM
i just want a normal movie, i dont want all this advanced stuff, a lot of times , at least at home, i watch movies with people for the social element with all this new tech and stuff, im going to like movies less and less and video games less and less, i no way support a virtual reality, people play video games to get a break from life, and call of duty makes money off people who wanna sit for hours playing, if we go to holodeck, it will hardly be video games anymore.

Powder Keg
Jun 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
It's alright, but really another excuse to charge a wad of cash just to see it in 3D. While we're at it, they show plenty of movies in 3D that really don't need to be shown.

I saw Avatar in 3D, and I'll tell you this. You sit in the front, you're #$@%'d.

Qwerty79
Jun 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
Another problem with 3D movies is that (generally) the movies aren't as good as 2D movies. The reason behind this is that (probably) less effort is put into 3D movies than 2D movies. But yes, 3D movies are (usually) awful.

Weeaboolits
Jun 18, 2010, 04:13 PM
3D in movies is largely used as a gimmick, hopefully as all of this shiny new 3D tech becomes more mainstream it'll become less so.

NegaTsukasa
Jun 21, 2010, 02:37 AM
Obviously its a re-born fad. history does repeat its self eh? except this time it all about depth instead of a hand reaching out and trying to grab you.

AzureBlaze
Jul 1, 2010, 02:13 AM
The problem with a lot of threedeeee is that they're USING it as a gimmick.
Clash of the Titans, Airbender and even ToyStory 3 had it "Slapped on" at the last minute to try and ca$h in on the big trend. Once everybody flipped out over Avatar, the studios thought 3D=goldmine so now EVERYthing has to be in 3D even if it's NOT an enhancement.

No wonder you don't like it.
It's a purely cash grab half azz effort. Those movies were in production BEFORE Avatar was even out and they weren't conceived of to have 3D integrated with them as a real element. It's like CG used to be. Everyone thought CG=megabuxx so CG the hell out of everything even if it's not appropriate and makes it corney.

You shouldn't have to worry.
Once the industry calms down about it and people figure out that 3D doesnt equal 100% entertainment or they figure out that the whole "Let's tack on shabby 3D to get your money" is the cashgrab that it is, they'll have to earn their keep making it really work and be enjoyable. Every tool in the movie maker's box has it's proper place and proper use. Just because a tool is there doesn't mean it should be used at all times.

CupOfCoffee
Jul 1, 2010, 03:05 AM
I'm just waiting for real life to finally be in 3D.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 1, 2010, 03:17 AM
Damn Sony

http://www.technofile.com/images/bd/polar_express3d.jpg

If HD-DVD lasted, since the whole name of the format makes more sense than Blu-Rays* people might confuse 3D with DDD then DVD can it be 3D?! 3DVDDD-HD?!

*(PS2 had those blue discs, now considered "old school" whence buying a used game at the Gamestops)

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Jul 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hi all,

My dad was telling me how he founf this whole 3D film phase to be quite amusing. When he was younger he saw Jaws in 3D when it was first released and laughed at the modern theme for 3D movies being cutting edge and state of the art. He said they were a gimmick back in the 80's and they're a gimmick now. It is rather amusing though that people think its new, amazing and the future when it's decades old.

Nvidia 3D gaming is quite fun but not really worth the money, besides my recent rig is an ATI build and I don't feel like switching back i'd have to get a smaller monitor (22-24") I don't feel like downgrading :P

I'm dubious about even switching to Blu-Ray i've seen films in shops and round friends houses and yes it's better picture definition and sound but it doesn't justify the prices. Also Blu-Ray boxed sets? Totally unecessary and illogical when you could probably fit an entire season or series on 1 disc but people want big pakcaging lots of discs and box sets it's all rather retarded, but I digress...

Tifa

Ranmaru
Jul 1, 2010, 12:14 PM
I would always opt to 2d. Seriously I'm not paying to see 3-D. No point in seeing it. If I want some 3D action I can draw a circle, and then a sphere. YAY

joefro
Jul 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
Saw The Last Airbender last night. Worst 3D yet. There were only two or three parts that I could even tell were in 3D.

Damn my theatre for only offering it in 3D.

Raikomaru
Jul 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
When I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D, I was thoroughly disappointed....:disapprove: I liked the movie, but the 3D was barely noticeable....

AC9breaker
Jul 3, 2010, 04:17 PM
Saw The Last Airbender last night. Worst 3D yet. There were only two or three parts that I could even tell were in 3D.

Damn my theatre for only offering it in 3D.

I heard that movie was super shit. It's gotten a lot of bad reviews. What did you think?

Tessu
Jul 3, 2010, 05:15 PM
I have the same DUAL-WIELDING GLASSES problem. It can get cumbersome.

As for the content of the movies themselves, it all depends. The only problem I find is that EVERYTHING EVER is in 3D, and the 3D doesn't always "enhance" the experience. Like with Toy Story 3. I absolutely loved the movie, and I saw it in 3D, but the 3D just made no difference to me. I didn't feel any more immersed into the movie, or like the 3D was somehow making the experience better. I altogether forgot it was there by the end of the film. 3D is for some movies, but not required for all of them.

joefro
Jul 3, 2010, 06:07 PM
I heard that movie was super shit. It's gotten a lot of bad reviews. What did you think?

Awful. The acting was horrible, for the most part (they had a couple decent actors) and the writing was really bad.

Kion
Jul 4, 2010, 01:40 AM
I have yet to see avatar, and I probably never will. With all of the hype about 3D, I have yet to hear the words, "and the story was good too". It's just a gimmick now, but it's possible that someone could figure out how to make the most of it.

Lainalil
Jul 4, 2010, 08:51 AM
IMAX works just fine for me so long as it's a true IMAX screen with a proper resolution. The 3d is unnecessary and has worked in a film or two but in general is a let down.

I have yet to be let down by IMAX though =D.

BIG OLAF
Jul 4, 2010, 01:42 PM
I've noticed that, for me, 3D has absolutely no effect on movies. I went to see The Last Airbender last night, in 3D. Halfway through the movie, I took the glasses off (due to the ensuing headache), and noticed virtually no difference in the picture for the rest of the film.

It's pretty much a gimmick to get you to spend an extra dollar or whatever on a ticket.

Volcompat321
Jul 4, 2010, 11:09 PM
I thought 3D movies suck too.
I saw the Airbender... in 3D, and the glasses made everything dark.
My contacts dried out and literally fell out of my eye, (which isn't the 3D fault, it was just added hate).