PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about making friends?

Chimeria
Jun 20, 2010, 08:16 PM
I recently came back to PSU after a year long hiatus and decided that I'd start anew with a male character since I am a male and all. But it's quite difficult to make friends as a guy character sometimes. I mean, I know the other reason could be because of my level as well. There are lots of high-level players running around.

Anyway, whats a good place to meet some decent people, I tried hanging around the 4th floor for a bit. But all I encountered were people trying to sell items and immature players teabagging the players that were AFK. lol. I also met some cool people beachside as well...There was this wierd lapdance convo...but I'll let that slide.

Any ideas?

Mystic_Nessly
Jun 21, 2010, 12:49 AM
--" But it's quite difficult to make friends as a guy character sometimes."
What exactly do you mean by this?

I actually just joined the Xbox 360 servers about 3 days ago and have had no problem finding very friendly people to play with. I already have a circle of about 4 good buddies (one of which I already knew from PSO Blue Burst), and we usually play together if we're online at the same time. Honestly, for an awesome PSU experience, you don't need more than a handful of good buddies who get on regularly.

FINDING PLAYMATES
Really, I came across these guys by just "doing my own thing." I simply went to where I felt like playing. If there was a party already available, I joined. If not, I made one. I explored areas I was in the mood for.

Basically, play the areas you want when you want. Often, the people you're most likely to encounter on those adventures will be the same ones who will also have similar play styles as you ("Birds of a feather flock together.").

FRIENDLY TALK
ALSO, if you don't have a mic or keyboard for communication, get one...and use it! Even for small talk, a mic or keyboard helps break the ice in what might otherwise be a very quiet room full of "Hellos" and "Thank Yous" and "nps." What I like to do is check out the other players' equipment, and if I've played with him or her long enough, view his/her game selection. Doing so gives you some info about the other player(s) and can make for easy convo starters. If you don't feel like doing that, you could always make friendly recommendations for weapons upgrades or photon art suggestions. Anything.

I used to play on the PC/PS2 servers where there would OCCASIONALLY be 1 universe with 2 full stars. Even there I did the same thing I mentioned above (play where you want. You'll eventually meet some cool people to play with.) and didn't really have a problem making friends. We have a whole Universe full of people almost 24/7. It shouldn't be hard finding a list of buddies to play with.

Jesseph
Jun 21, 2010, 01:34 AM
I just make games with welcoming titles and be as nice as I can. :) I'm a little shy and not great at approaching people, but I know that I have to be inviting to make friends. I just say hello when someone joins, CG when someone levels, and I reply to whomever makes a comment. Some folks won't even reply. Some folks obviously have keyboards because THEY will make a comment (some actually do not, I know), but then they'll completely ignore someone else. It's so rude. Some folks will boot everyone too, especially at low level. If you don't want new people to join, indicate it in your comment/party name or lock it.

Chimeria
Jun 21, 2010, 08:34 AM
--" But it's quite difficult to make friends as a guy character sometimes."
What exactly do you mean by this?

Before I left, I had made a female CAST character. And I'd usually find at least one friend every say few missions. I know that sounds kinda shallow. But seriously, alot of people on this game tend to gravitate towards the girl players...or what they think are the girl players. The reason I stopped playing as a female character was because of me quitting of course but also always being asked if I was really a girl or not or my character being hit on. Its a game people!

Some folks will boot everyone too, especially at low level. If you don't want new people to join, indicate it in your comment/party name or lock it.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I usually say hello and ask if its ok to join but I get booted before I can even ask the question. Buuuut anyway. I do have a keyboard for my xbox so that's not a problem. I've noticed that many people have mics though.

FOnewearl-Lina
Jun 21, 2010, 09:17 AM
Who needs friends?

Jesseph
Jun 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah I noticed that as well. I usually say hello and ask if its ok to join but I get booted before I can even ask the question. Buuuut anyway. I do have a keyboard for my xbox so that's not a problem. I've noticed that many people have mics though.Partying with randoms isn't essential when you're a high level because you're bound to make friends or at least people to play with at some point, but when you're a new player and don't have any friends, it can be really difficult to level. Even more so because people boot you as soon as you join. I was booted about two-thirds of the times I tried to play the other day for no apparent reason in games that weren't named or described any different, so I just started making my own rooms and titling them "All welcome!" I get better MP that way anyway.

Delete
Jun 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
Playing the game a lot will get you some decent friends over time. But if you want some trustworthy friends, I'd talk to some of these guys on the forums. Some....not all ;)

Just Logan
Jun 22, 2010, 02:48 AM
Go to a popular mission and join somebodies party. People are usually pretty friendly. I just said hi to some random and they asked if i wanted to go on a rare miss. for free..so i did.

Dragwind
Jun 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
I haven't really had any problems either. My only issue is that I've been too lazy to plug my mic in or pick up my keyboard off the ground, but most parties are always willing to talk. All it takes is a friendly conversation to lead to the exchange of partner cards then bam, new buddies to run with/mail.

unicorn
Jun 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
Lol about the gender thing.

People actually do tend to be nicer to you if you play as a female. TRUST ME. Even if they don't have any secret intentions.

Female characters are a little more approachable.

Lolitron
Jun 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
1 ('/B3R 70 /\/\4|<3 PhR13|\|D5.

TierrenZX
Jun 22, 2010, 06:28 PM
MMORPG: Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls

G.I.R.L.: Guy in Real Life....(mostly)

Rules that I go by unless they prove otherwise.

I've met some cool people online that I still hang out with or at least talk to on occassion to this day. My first few friends that were on my XBL friends list i've met in PSU. Despite anything that I may say about the game, I have made more friends on there than I have anywhere else.

dias_flac_0g
Jun 23, 2010, 03:16 AM
Lol about the gender thing.

People actually do tend to be nicer to you if you play as a female. TRUST ME. Even if they don't have any secret intentions.

Female characters are a little more approachable.

Haha, I agree with this. I play a sexy/curvy blonde female beast in a bikini and people always tend to be "nice" to me. Obviously they are assuming i'm a girl irl hahaha. People like that are silly and desperate.

As for making friends myself, I hardly ever talk to anyone. Back in PSO I was very close to a group of people, but PSU is different. I usually solo. PSU in a way is more of a "loner" kinda game since you get to keep all the rares and such. In short it "promotes" soloing.

I just get on and do my thing and log off. I don't really log in to make "friends" or chat all day.

Just Logan
Jun 23, 2010, 03:31 AM
I'll admit I kind of sort of played as a girl when i 1st started playing and asked guys for money.

Oh well, i made 10 mill in a day

Might as well take advantage of those silly and desperate people =]

Shinato
Jun 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
Making friends, eh? I just playing with people from my school, well where I meet them cuase I'm out of high school.

Anyways, I'll sometimes play with their friends of make my own, but thats rare.

blkbeast
Jun 24, 2010, 03:21 AM
I haven't really had any problems either. My only issue is that I've been too lazy to plug my mic in or pick up my keyboard off the ground, but most parties are always willing to talk. All it takes is a friendly conversation to lead to the exchange of partner cards then bam, new buddies to run with/mail.

your still alive?? pm me sum time

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 07:53 AM
If people don't mistake me for being a little boy, I tend to make "friends" easily. The problem is finding people who aren't involved in a lot of momma drama. I find talking on the mic tends to make people more friendly, since they can be more irritating when you just type. There's tons of people that travel in groups, so if you happen to catch one of them when they're by themselves, you eventually meet the rest of the group. Who knows.

BIG OLAF
Jun 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
There's tons of people that travel in groups, so if you happen to catch one of them when they're by themselves, you eventually meet the rest of the group. Who knows.

That's what my friends do. They'll say, "hey, I met *such-and-such* person today. I should bring them along for missions with all of us sometime!"

I don't mind at first, but most of the people my friends meet are complete imbeciles. I wish, just once, they'd find someone who was intelligent and good to talk to, as we need to expand our friend circle a little.

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 08:52 AM
That's what my friends do. They'll say, "hey, I met *such-and-such* person today. I should bring them along for missions with all of us sometime!"

I don't mind at first, but most of the people my friends meet are complete imbeciles. I wish, just once, they'd find someone who was intelligent and good to talk to, as we need to expand our friend circle a little.

And it's ALWAYS the most insufferable sounding little pipsqueak or someone overly vulgar XD By the way, are you a lady PSU player? Do you hang out in a mostly male group or are there other tolerable girls you play with? Just askin' cause I wonder if that even exists (a girl PSU group).

BIG OLAF
Jun 24, 2010, 08:57 AM
And it's ALWAYS the most insufferable sounding little pipsqueak or someone overly vulgar XD By the way, are you a lady PSU player? Do you hang out in a mostly male group or are there other tolerable girls you play with? Just askin' cause I wonder if that even exists (a girl PSU group).

I'm a male. I know (or knew, as a lot of them quit a awhile ago/recently) a lot of female players, though. Honestly, I don't think an "all female" friend group exists inside PSU. But I could be wrong.

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 09:00 AM
I'm a male. I know (or knew, as a lot of them quit a awhile ago/recently) a lot of female players, though. Honestly, I don't think an "all female" friend group exists inside PSU. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm interested in finding something like that, but it could be more trouble than it's worth. I haven't found but one or two girls on that game who weren't begging for items on that game, taking advantage of people, whoring for attention, or just being whiney, causing drama. No offense to anyone, really. That's just how it was for me.

BIG OLAF
Jun 24, 2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I'm interested in finding something like that, but it could be more trouble than it's worth.

Well, if you want to play with my friends and I, we're always open to try someone that isn't 12 years old (or less), or has serious mental issues.

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Well, if you want to play with my friends and I, we're always open to try someone that isn't 12 years old (or less), or has serious mental issues.

12, no. Mental issues, probably. But I'm at least somewhat interesting sometimes. But who knows, really. Everyone is a creeper in their own special kind of way. But I'll totaly take you up on that... if you DO realize that I have nothing. As in, nothing. I played a few months ago then impulsively deleted all my characters and gave away all my items. So really, although I retain some knowledge, am a total n00b. I'm sure you and your friends are level infinite.

edit: p.s. I'm not begging for crap. Just fear the n00biness.

BIG OLAF
Jun 24, 2010, 09:25 AM
12, no. Mental issues, probably. But I'm at least somewhat interesting sometimes. But who knows, really. Everyone is a creeper in their own special kind of way. But I'll totaly take you up on that... if you DO realize that I have nothing. As in, nothing. I played a few months ago then impulsively deleted all my characters and gave away all my items. So really, although I retain some knowledge, am a total n00b. I'm sure you and your friends are level infinite.

edit: p.s. I'm not begging for crap. Just fear the n00biness.

Well, everyone has mental issues of some sort. No matter. As for the noobiness, don't worry. Some of my friends act like they just bought the game yesterday, themselves.

Don't worry about "begging", either. I have a lot of spare crap I can give to you if the need arises, anyway. Just send me a message with your Gamertag and whatever other info you want to give.

Evil_One
Jun 24, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'll be your friend. Just buy this magic staff for the low low price of 10 million meseta!

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 09:33 AM
I'll be your friend. Just buy this magic staff for the low low price of 10 million meseta!

>;( You wish I'd have 10 mill within the next MONTH. HAH!

Evil_One
Jun 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
Just messing around. My GT is "I am Evil One". I'll run with ya. I have a lvl 125 beast , and a bunch of low noobie char.

Evil_One
Jun 24, 2010, 09:41 AM
Well Im sure some will say my 125 is a noobie. lol, but i love him

xmoonprismpowerx
Jun 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
Well Im sure some will say my 125 is a noobie. lol, but i love him

level 125 is better than level 0. So let them talk!