PDA

View Full Version : shield weilding hunters?

Sammy Baby
Jun 21, 2010, 12:58 AM
so i was just curious do any fairly high level hunters actually use shields? if so what makes you like them? i just cant find any good reason to use one

Rayvinh
Jun 21, 2010, 01:06 AM
I use shields with my hunter once in awhile. It's fun to have a lvl 5 element with a 25% proc rate. and bull smash is an amazing PA!

FOmarRashidi
Jun 21, 2010, 01:20 AM
Bull Smash is 2.1 times your normal attack plus whatever's in front of where you're looking. I find it the most effective PA against the Fingers in the plant because you can turn and bull smash them when they surf circles around you.

Add-on: Even if you don't use a shield, you may want to carry one on you anyway. It's good for Reyburn and Humilas fight where you can hold L with shield to block Reyburn when he's in aerial mode and when Humilias is apart instead of running around to dodge.

Sammy Baby
Jun 21, 2010, 01:41 AM
im stupid and didnt know you could block with shields holding L but i guess you learn something new every day right? ;P

Kirukia
Jun 21, 2010, 02:03 AM
Also the PA Barrier Shift can be useful.
In a team someone can spam barrier shift and the rest can remain nearby and take down the enemies.
Hooray invincibility ;p

Sammy Baby
Jun 21, 2010, 02:12 AM
hehe i love using hungry mags when they give you invincibility even though it happens for 30 seconds out of every hour lmao

Broken_L_button
Jun 21, 2010, 11:45 AM
For me, shields exist for the sole purpose of making level 5 elements proc. Once they proc, I swap to a better beatstick ASAP.

tigerlily
Jun 21, 2010, 04:31 PM
They're pretty good actually taking out lots of monsters near you. Plus added defence(if your character is a overall tanker then it's pretty good weapon to have) I'm planning to have my HUcast use it as a main weapon. xD

Seth Astra
Jun 21, 2010, 04:46 PM
@Rashidi: Huh, why didn't I think to use them on Humillias? I have an Iros w/ celeb and whatever the PA is that makes you spin around, and I never realized that it'd be a good humillias killer. I'll have to try it out next time I'm in arca. Thanks for pointing this out.

Macman
Jun 21, 2010, 04:55 PM
Shields are awesome at tanking those blasted Arkzeins.

Rayvinh
Jun 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hehehe... Lvl 5 Heaven shield... Fufufu...

Dnd
Jun 21, 2010, 08:45 PM
even after reading this thread i still see no reason to use one on my hunewearl... abit of rolling avoids everything deadly... the arca plant boss is so easy if you cheese it with a high damage/mechine melee weapon

Follow him around, stay behind him and fire one PA off everytime he does that... the complexity is shocking

pkrockin
Jun 21, 2010, 09:17 PM
even after reading this thread i still see no reason to use one on my hunewearl... abit of rolling avoids everything deadly... the arca plant boss is so easy if you cheese it with a high damage/mechine melee weapon

Follow him around, stay behind him and fire one PA off everytime he does that... the complexity is shocking

I think the intent of using a shield on Humilias is to avoid the need to dodge during his 2nd phase (the split phase).

FOmarRashidi
Jun 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
I think the intent of using a shield on Humilias is to avoid the need to dodge during his 2nd phase (the split phase).

That's what I intended actually.

Seth Astra
Jun 21, 2010, 10:31 PM
Or, worst of all, the floor panel nuke.

Dnd
Jun 22, 2010, 08:55 AM

After just doing it (offline, in a quest) on my hunewearl and getting hit only by 3 missles whilest standing still.. i still dont see the need for it

i am carrying 664 evp, with 490 def + deband but the damage was outhealed by one resta ;s (252)

Seth Astra
Jun 22, 2010, 09:01 AM
I would have to add that the split is rather easy to dodge. Unlike the lasers (you need to have good timing to dodge) or the floor panel attack (depending on the pattern, you may or may not need to be a god to dodge this).

Dnd
Jun 22, 2010, 09:13 AM
I would have to add that the split is rather easy to dodge. Unlike the lasers (you need to have good timing to dodge) or the floor panel attack (depending on the pattern, you may or may not need to be a god to dodge this).

If your on about the lasers in Phase one (slow/freeze ones) then just follow him when he moves around then go (or roll) behind him and attack him. You never get hit (unless your unlucky with floor panels ;D) by the lasers again.

The floor panels for me arent a worry.. he does them maybe once an encounter nowdays. If your that worryed, customise di/trimates (if your a resta user) and sol atomisers to your action pallete? iirc they can be used whilest on the floor and in the case of sol's whilest frozen

Macman
Jun 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
Floor panels aren't much of a worry for me these days since he often dies before he even gets the chance to activate it. If he ever does manage, I just stay close to him as usual, the floor hits me once, I'm stuck under his legs frozen/slowed/whatever but he still can't hit me, I heal, then back to business.

What's hell though is if you kill him just as he activates the floor traps.
Floor rape + jihad = D:

Seth Astra
Jun 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
The most annoying part about the floor panels (for me) is that while I'm despartely trying not to get destroyed by them, I can't get close enough to dodge the laser bombardment. Also, when running offline... The CPUs don't give me enough help with damage (do they help anyone with anyting besides resta? I thought not) to kill him before he starts using the floor panels.

I try to follow him, but I still tend to get hit by the death lasers.

FOmarRashidi
Jun 23, 2010, 01:14 AM
It seems like I only deal with the floor panels when I'm fighting Humilias offline...or in a team of only rangers.