PDA

View Full Version : Degree or no degree? Certificate? What?

Ranmaru
Jul 6, 2010, 05:43 PM
=====================
Saint Cloud High School
=====================

Well, at this point in time, I was just a teenager, really only interested in gaming. Music as well. I didn't do well with classes, nor was I really interested in them. Through here I had made habits, such as procrastinating. Of course I know more than I did then, but not much to say here.

=====================
Valencia Community College
=====================

Yes. I am confused still. I have been down in Florida, studied there for at least a year. I majored in Graphics design, and minored in Computer Programming. I chose Graphics design because I always like to make signatures like this:

http://neokrw.deviantart.com/#/d2ju3ug

Although I lucked out because I didn't know what I got into. I wasn't prepared, I didn't know how college would have been like. I was the same way as I was in Highschool.

I failed, and this was also due to me skipping class sometimes for playing smash bros in the lounge. Yes, silly me >_>

I went on for at least almost a year without doing anything or hanging out with much people, just staying true to myself. I went and studied again for a semester (I studied for a year before I failed, and then just for one semester after) thanks to my mother paying what she could. I thanked her dearly for that.

We then moved. More about what happened next after the next section.

=======================================
Thoughts
=======================================

Sure it would be awesome if I COULD produce awesome things that companies would use for their businesses, but I was lazy... and always procrastinating. Gah.

I also didn't do as well as the other students in the class, except one. He was in the same boat as me. But still, most of the people there had graphics design experience already. I could tell, I felt it in my bones. I also wasn't used to a Mac, but I guess I really don't mind if I only need to get accustomed to it. Some Graphic design programs I also didn't know how to use...

I could say that I think I learn slowly, so that I might need more time just to learn and put in effort. For some reason I have realized that I do math better by myself if I put the maximum effort. But motivation is also a problem...

I can do greatly with something if I have the motivation to do it. I'm sure of it. I can get better at DDR if I so wanted to. (I did get a little better, from being on easy to getting around in medium, very very tough for me)

I got better at Smash brothers melee for reading and watching things about it, learning, practicing, repeating, repeating, etc. I got better at it, but it's just a game.

I'm sure I could do very well with all my classes, but the motivation is just NOT there. I try to motivate myself by telling myself that all this will help me with things that are not related to it, but would somehow require or be benefited by the bonus knowledge of the course and therefore I would do the work so I can hopefully learn something that I can Apply to videogames or DDR or other things that I actually have interest in

Even so. (I might edit this later, this is me evaluating my own mind here)

====================================

1-2 years later - Philadelphia, PA
====================================

Ok so now here I am in Philadelphia. I am currently enrolled in Harcum College, but at a off-site campus, for my convenience.Thankfully that campus only gave three major selections, so it was easy to pick. I chose Human services as a Major. I have already taken a loan out and had financial aid given to me. I already cancelled that loan, and tried re-instating it... That loan I will keep. I know I have to make sacrifices....

Harcum college at Congreso is an off-site campus which doesn't have as much facilities as I would need as a student. There are 3 computers at the student lounge which is where we walk in. There are computers in the classes and we can't really go in during the day, so we are limited to the 3. Sometimes the internet doesn't work in some or all of them which can be annoying. Although, Congreso can be convenient since it has full-time classes, but only for two days a week. The draw back to this is that instead of being 16 weeks, classes are 8 weeks and assignments (meaning big assignments) are due quickly. Many things to complain about... But so you know a little about it, since it isn't your regular Community College.

BUT!

I was told I would need to take out another loan, and that is the last straw.

Whoops, now I'm going to transfer. Uh uh, I'm not taking another loan. CCP is cheaper, and that is what I need to do for now. I'm not going to have two loans topple onto me. :/

CCP is also closer to me, and I might be able to meet more people there as well. Of course I'll be going for four days instead of two, but I'd be having an easier time money wise.

So I am in the process of applying, and I put the application in "Finish later" mode even though I'm pretty much finished.

I still don't know what I SHOULD do. What I should study. Currently I am studying under Human Services. They have that over there, and it is under a certificate. I would rather have a degree, that way job interviewers can see I have 'stick-it-ness' if you know what I mean. Meaning stick to the program.

I know what I'm good at, I know what I know, but I don't know what job type I should really pick.

===================
Things I am good at:
===================

+Giving advice

+Tutoring (recalling from helping spanish 1 students in highschool [I was called the young professor or something...])

+Playing smash bros melee

+cleaning? (exp from actual work)

+problem solving? (I'm pretty sure I can take stress well so I would be able to still think while in a pinch, meaning being held under fire of AHHHHHHHHH)

+Making sigs. But that isn't a skill right? : [

that is all I can think about for now.

Of course I can also put in time to playing videogames and such and I am wondering if any of you guys have suggestions for your fellow videogamer. I am stuck. WITH LIFE. (board game coming to stores near you)

I don't know WHAT to do. I have spent too much time (or have I).

What do you think? Anything you say will be of help. : ] Thank you.

=============

Why did I decide to post this here? I'm pretty sure that to know what I want in life, as a career, I would not only need to post my skills, but also my interests.

I like Music. In the past I loved listening to things like Eminem and even Tech N9ne. Recently I noticed that I didn't like Tech N9ne as much anymore.

Want to know why? I realized that I have heard much better bands/musicians in action.

Examples?

Mf Doom (and his other relevant personas);

Minamina Goodsong;

Videogame music (Tim Follin and Geoff Follin, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 music, PSO music [also made by SEGA so this music would be just as good YES just as good as Sonic music] etc)

such things as those. They are pretty epic, or just pretty **** good.

Of course Videogames are of much interest to me as well, but I will explain that in a bit.

-IN CONSTRUCTION-

Blitzkommando
Jul 7, 2010, 04:07 AM
That sounds somewhat familiar. I started out by zooming down to Florida to stay with my uncle to attend Pensacola Junior College. I stayed a quarter and realized it just wasn't for me. Grades were excellent though even though I stayed up late, took naps in the afternoon, played games constantly, and never studied. Then again, the classes were really easy as well. Prior to that I took a year off after graduating high school and starting college. I basically did nothing for that year, which was both good as it let me unwind from some really bad experiences senior year, but also really bad as it put me into bad habits like my staying up late and such. But, I digress...

So, I quickly pack up and drive back to Ohio and quickly enroll into Wright State University. I spend the next two years shuffling between degrees, making some poor decisions regarding gen ed classes, and just not really 'feeling' interest in any of the business or computing degrees which I pursued.

But, starting fall of '09 I decide to finally try some classes which I figured I might enjoy, specifically I took Japanese and Russian and continued through spring of this year. It was rough, I still rarely studied, but I still held onto a high B average for both classes. It was during spring that I realized that what I wanted simply wasn't offered through Wright State. I wanted a language major, something I had mulled over years ago but never took all that seriously. But after having had both languages and seeing just how much I enjoyed them it pretty much fell into place that I needed to transfer. The problem being, there's only around two dozen universities in the nation which offer Japanese as a master's degree option. Thankfully, one of the best is here in Ohio, Ohio State University. A guy in my Japanese classes told me a lot about the OSU Japanese program, he had gone through a bit of it about ten years ago and was taking Japanese at WSU as a refresher. Long story short, I was impressed, I went applied to OSU, got accepted and will be moving to Columbus in late August just before the big rush in September when classes start.

It's not all flowers and rainbows, as this will more than double the costs, something my parents can't afford and something to which I would hardly want them to foot the bill. I had also mulled over ROTC and found that Japanese is one of the languages on the short list that the Air Force, the branch I'm pursuing, has listed as a Tier 1 scholarship. Meaning, they pay full tuition and up to $900 in books a year. Now all I need is to become accepted into that program, which should be fairly easy.

My advice? Take classes you already have some interest, even if it is merely fleeting, and see where they take you. Scholarships are there for you in all sorts of forms if money is an issue. For instance, the lowest level scholarship through AFROTC is $9,000 a year, you earn a stipend, and for most instances it requires 4 years of service though with the cutbacks on personnel some are simply waved from service after graduation (but obviously don't count on that happening). And, this is general advice for everyone, even with all of that please don't do as I did and take a 4 year degree and turn it into 6 or 7 years. That's just, well, a stupid thing to do for a full time student.

I suppose that's more of replying to your story with another story. Sorry about that. But, I guess it's my way of saying don't brush off those gen ed courses, consider looking out for scholarship opportunities, and don't just take the easy classes for general requirements. You never know who you might meet that will show you possiblities for you that you never thought possible. If it weren't for the people within both my Russian and Japanese classes I would have likely never considered OSU.

Ranmaru
Jul 7, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you! No don't worry, I appreciate the relation! : D

Yes, that is also why I am transferring, because we had these cohorts, where everyone would be stuck there until graduation. Of course it got smaller and smaller, in time. : [

I really hope to meet new people, as in class mates and teachers. Maybe I just want to be understood? Hmmm.

Also thanks, I will keep this in mind. I will try not to take easy classes, I am ok with challenges now and again. : D

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 7, 2010, 06:30 PM
You may be too advanced for the basic ones, but your work with sigs and illustrator type programs would be a good lead in - into the Graphic Design field. But that requires a good campus with adequate teachers for the program and the computer labs.

As well with a lot of people probably going for that kinda major, Marketing could be a minor to be on the design and project idea making teams instead of just all the graphic design grunt work : "no this won't work scrap it all - another commercial/advertisement just used the same thing and beat us to the punch, work overtime and try to create something better quickly - before deadline."

As well finding a better group of classmates to motivate you and be there to buddy up besides just being fighting game fodder to raise your skills in the games as a group - but help you follow through college and continue the path to career modes, not just in Gran Turismo and Tony Hawk.

CupOfCoffee
Jul 7, 2010, 08:40 PM
From someone who has a BFA in graphic design: it's not a field to go into if all you've done or know about it is "making sigs." The placement rate is positively abysmal because so many people major in it, and design firms really only want the absolute best. You'll need strong drawing and writing skills, an extremely good understanding of typography, a very ambitious attitude, and, above all, connections. Things which you can partially pick up from the classes, yes, but don't expect to just "do your time" in design school and then be thrown job offers. It doesn't happen.

Having a college degree obviously won't hurt you in the long run, but make sure you make a good decision about which field of study you want to pursue. I wouldn't say I absolutely regret majoring in something creative, but it's obviously less practical than a lot of the other things I could have gone with.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 7, 2010, 09:35 PM
From someone who has a BFA in graphic design: it's not a field to go into if all you've done or know about it is "making sigs."
That was one of his already daily hobbies, and thus a piece of his looking for answers that could lead him into such a career through something he already enjoyed doing - and wouldn't mind doing that sort of work and get paid for it?

Considering the GE/first intro to Graphic Design/PShop etc classes, he would be prepared for and be similar to what he was using then move on up through the advanced ones if it seems like something he'd enjoy and want to follow through.

With other job skills to look at and take classes in to supplement his resume' in the end to be not just another Graphic Design graduate. Possibly work in another field and his graphic design background supplements his mandatory job skills, that way.

Ranmaru
Jul 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
As well finding a better group of classmates to motivate you and be there to buddy up besides just being fighting game fodder to raise your skills in the games as a group - but help you follow through college and continue the path to career modes, not just in Gran Turismo and Tony Hawk.

I like this idea, I definitly need motivation, and I would also help my friends with motivations and reminders as well. I will keep this in mind. : D

From someone who has a BFA in graphic design: it's not a field to go into if all you've done or know about it is "making sigs." The placement rate is positively abysmal because so many people major in it, and design firms really only want the absolute best. You'll need strong drawing and writing skills, an extremely good understanding of typography, a very ambitious attitude, and, above all, connections. Things which you can partially pick up from the classes, yes, but don't expect to just "do your time" in design school and then be thrown job offers. It doesn't happen.

Having a college degree obviously won't hurt you in the long run, but make sure you make a good decision about which field of study you want to pursue. I wouldn't say I absolutely regret majoring in something creative, but it's obviously less practical than a lot of the other things I could have gone with.

Yes, you are right. I have no skill with drawing, and I didn't know how to use much of the programs to do anything.. My projects just looked like rough drafts, basically. I like making sigs, but even then I procrastinate with those haha, even though I get inspired to make them. (I get interuppted and then I just don't do it anymore, I should continue on my PSO sig haha)

That was one of his already daily hobbies, and thus a piece of his looking for answers that could lead him into such a career through something he already enjoyed doing - and wouldn't mind doing that sort of work and get paid for it?

Considering the GE/first intro to Graphic Design/PShop etc classes, he would be prepared for and be similar to what he was using then move on up through the advanced ones if it seems like something he'd enjoy and want to follow through.

With other job skills to look at and take classes in to supplement his resume' in the end to be not just another Graphic Design graduate. Possibly work in another field and his graphic design background supplements his mandatory job skills, that way.

Yes, making sigs is my hobby, but like I said, that is the only thing I like about graphics. I mean I guess if I had those programs and a GOOD computer I would have practiced them and used them to my benefit, but I didn't know how to use them, and that was the reason why I didn't do well. The Intro class to Graphics was really a weeding class, It was not like an Intro to me... As if I would somehow have some background to it. That was what frustrated me. I do need to get a Mac though, so I can use those programs again. It would be nice to be using more than just Gimp.

Although I am still considering something along computers or something else. I just know that if I choose something that has to do with computers, I MUST devote myself to it. That is also hard.

But yes, I did take Intro to Graphics Design. I don't draw well, you all should see what I drew... OH no, you all WILL see what I drew for that class! I still have it xD

*picture coming soon*

I already noticed it wasn't for me. I had to remake a newsletter for the final and I didn't know how... Also deadlines, I'm not so good with that. I also had taken Computer Programming as a Minor, very very interesting! But, I don't know, at the end I just didn't... do well. Like at the start I learned alot, I didn't get frustrated with Graphics Design, I looked forward to that class! It's just that it gets hard, and then I'd just have to be making alot of lines of code as a job. I had to think if that was what I really wanted.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 8, 2010, 03:06 PM
My fault, I seemed to have overlooked that part - intimidated by first year or 1st college classes and the Macs not accustomed to and seeing it wasn't for you. Read the latter 2/3rds a lot more closely.

Currently I am studying under Human Services. They have that over there, and it is under a certificate. I would rather have a degree, that way job interviewers can see I have 'stick-it-ness' if you know what I mean. Meaning stick to the program.

I know what I'm good at, I know what I know, but I don't know what job type I should really pick.

===================
Things I am good at:
===================

+Giving advice

+Tutoring (recalling from helping spanish 1 students in highschool [I was called the young professor or something...])

+problem solving? (I'm pretty sure I can take stress well so I would be able to still think while in a pinch, meaning being held under fire of AHHHHHHHHH)

Is that for Social Services or Human Resources for companies and doling out benefits?

Perhaps look at Management? Hotel - tourism industry, etc. There was another name for the industry, word slipping my mind.

Or from those other things you said are your strengths, why not talk to a counselor about how they became one. Offering advice and perhaps helping other students through the college experience and get on the right path.