PDA

View Full Version : PC Private Servers (Opinions)?

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 05:57 AM
So this is not a violation of the TOS of this forum please do not link to any private servers, mention any by name or ask for any information related to where you can find them. If you want to find a private server do it yourself.

I know there has been a smorgasbord of information recently on the interwebs related to private servers. My issue is the legality of this. PSO's private servers were never the target of sega because the game had been essentially considered dead in the region of which the private servers were made. That being said, there's some concern that Sega will state that they're still operating PSU servers, profitably, in Japan. Then again, the PSOBB servers are still running in Japan too. What are your views on this?

Also, Sega has the right to claim user-base lost if players on the 360 move on to private servers rather than stick around on the 360. I've been working for 15 hours straight now so I appologize if this is poorly worded but I'm interested in your opinions.

PLEASE READ THE TOP OF THIS POST FIRST, IF YOU BREAK THE TOS WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION DUE TO IT BEING LOCKED.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:04 AM
I think this discussion should not be taking place here.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:05 AM
I think this discussion should not be taking place here.

Actually I've read the user agreement quite well here. So long as we're not linking to information related to private servers, advertising private servers, using names or recommending use, it isn't a break of the agreement. Hence why I made the disclaimer at the top.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:06 AM
Actually I've read the user agreement quite well here. So long as we're not linking to information related to private servers, advertising private servers, using names or recommending use, it isn't a break of the agreement. Hence why I made the disclaimer at the top.

I never said you were breaking the forum rules I am just saying this in not the place to be discussing this.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:07 AM
I never said you were breaking the forum rules I am just saying this in not the place to be discussing this.

Please don't hijack this thread or it will be closed due to being off-topic. Either be constructive or on topic or at least don't make several posts repeating the same thing, at least put your stance as to why you feel the way you do in your first post.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:11 AM
Please don't hijack this thread or it will be closed due to being off-topic. Either be constructive or on topic or at least don't make several posts repeating the same thing, at least put your stance as to why you feel the way you do in your first post.

All I did was respond how I feel and I feel it should not be discussed here. I am sure you can discuss this on the private server forums.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:13 AM
All I did was respond how I feel and I feel it should not be discussed here. I am sure you can discuss this on the private server forums.

The problem with that is you'll only have adamant supporters of such servers. That's why I'm posting this in a neutral location. It's important to have a neutral view on all topics. Now, back on topic please. You could have said all of that in your first post.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:14 AM
The problem with that is you'll only have advent supporters of such servers. That's why I'm posting this in a neutral location. It's important to have a neutral view on all topics. Now, back on topic please. You could have said all of that in your first post.

Again, I just responded to you if you just had not responded to my post I would have not continued to post.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:16 AM
Again, I just responded to you if you just had not responded to my post I would have not continued to post.

Back on topic.

I'd also like to add though that I'm curious how the people who own PC's and were PSU fans, who also do not own a 360 or a way to access a 360, feel about this situation? Would that encourage you to go out and seek a private server or will you remain dedicated to finding a 360 to play on the official SEGA servers.

(It should be noted I have a 360 and up my account every other month or so for the new content but I don't keep a permanent license.)

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:19 AM
Seeing as private severs were up for BB when the official EU/NA servers were up and Sega did nothing in that case I think it will be the same with PSU.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:29 AM
Seeing as private severs were up for BB when the official EU/NA servers were up and Sega did nothing in that case I think it will be the same with PSU.

It's slightly different this time though since the US Xbox 360 version is still functioning.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:31 AM
It's slightly different this time though since the US Xbox 360 version is still functioning.

Did you not read my post? EU/NA BB Servers were up and functioning when private servers were up.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:33 AM
Did you not read my post? EU/NA BB Servers were up and functioning when private servers were up.

Actually, several small, non-functioning private servers were up. The larger, and still functioning server came up only after the NA/EU PSOBB servers were stopped.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:35 AM
Actually, several small, non-functioning private servers were up. The larger, and still functioning server came up only after the NA/EU PSOBB servers were stopped.
You just said your self that private servers were up. Have you checked if the Psu Private Servers are up and functioning ?

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 06:38 AM
You just said your self that private servers were up. Have you checked if the Psu Private Servers are up and functioning ?

I can't discuss that, it'd violate the TOS on this site. However, i will say this, they were up but didn't have any playability. As in, on PSO, before PSOBB was down you could go to lobbies and talk but not much else. It's also important to note that SEGA likely saw that the end of PSOBB for NA/EU was coming long before it actually did and saw it as a wasted investment to worry about the legality of said servers.

Again though, they're fairly different scenarios since the current PSU setup still has a functioning and profitable US/EU server.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 06:44 AM
Well, to be honest I really do not care about this topic because I have no intention of playing on a private server.

Ezodagrom
Jul 11, 2010, 07:10 AM
I support private servers, as long as there's no official english option for the platform that will be used for those private servers (in this case, PC/PS2).

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 07:12 AM
I support private servers, as long as there's no official english option for the platform that will be used for those private servers (in this case, PC/PS2).

That's generally how I feel. Do you think though that the PC option might take away part of the US/EU 360 base?

Ezodagrom
Jul 11, 2010, 07:19 AM
That's generally how I feel. Do you think though that the PC option might take away part of the US/EU 360 base?
Dunno, maybe? I don't think it would be noticeable though. But it's not like the private servers will be ready anytime soon.

Well, the only thing I know is that I'm not gonna buy a 360 just for PSU. Even if there was other games I wanted, I still wouldn't buy a 360, I just don't like it and would prefer a PS3 instead.

Lainalil
Jul 11, 2010, 07:24 AM
Dunno, maybe? I don't think it would be noticeable though. But it's not like the private servers will be ready anytime soon.

Well, the only thing I know is that I'm not gonna buy a 360 just for PSU. Even if there was other games I wanted, I still wouldn't buy a 360, I just don't like it and would prefer a PS3 instead.

You're actually the type of person I was hoping for a response from. As a matter of fact I agree wholeheartedly. I have a 360, so for me PSU is a non issue, I still have access and still use access but I would not go out of my way if my 360 broke to buy another one just for PSU. At the same time, I also have my minor issues with PSU that could easily be improved on a private server just to see how they work.

Now I've paid more than my share to Sega, owning PSU for the PC & the 360, owning PSO for the GCN & the DC. Also having subscribed to both the US/EU and Japanese servers for PSO:BB. All of that being said, I've found that I really just can't find a reason not to support a private server on a dead platform.

HOWEVER, I'm asking this here to hear various opinions. If I were to ask it on a forum devoted to a private server, I'd get nothing but 'of course it's good' responses. Keep the information coming just remember

Don't post names, where to find, how to find, or how to use private servers for PSU.

Ezodagrom
Jul 11, 2010, 07:26 AM
Well, if anything, I'm alot more interested in what SEGA will do for their next Phantasy Star game (no, I don't mean PSPo2) than private servers. :3

GreenArcher
Jul 11, 2010, 11:01 AM
However, i will say this, they were up but didn't have any playability. As in, on PSO, before PSOBB was down you could go to lobbies and talk but not much else.

This statement is very inaccurate.

I think Sega's reaction is going to be different. When private PSOBB servers were popping up (and note fully functional, although a little buggy), they had essentially pulled the plug on PSOBB. There were at most a couple dozen players on at a time. Billing errors went unresolved, locking people out of the game for months at a time.

Sega did not give two shits about the US PSOBB servers for the last 6+ months they were up, however in PSU's case we still have the 360 servers alive and kicking with content still planned.

Max B
Jul 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
Well, if anything all that will happen is a cease and desist order.

Sinue_v2
Jul 11, 2010, 11:13 AM
I don't really see this thread lasting long, if only because it skits very close to TOS territory and likely either a user will step out of line or a mod will end it before it reaches that point just to be on the safe side. That's up to their discretion, and I don't know which route they'll choose... but don't be surprised if that happens.

Personally, I look forward to the ability to play PSU on private servers - and yes, Sega will most definitely loose a 360 customer with me when that ability manifests. While I'm not adverse to paying to play, I don't like the way in which they've conducted their service on this side of the Pacific (or Atlantic, depending on which direction you travel) and would not pay to get my PS fix if better service for the same game can be offered elsewhere for free. The way I see it, my true account was on the PS2/PC side and when they shut it down - they sent me a message to the effect of not needing or wanting my money. That I pay them in the meantime to play on the 360 is beside the point, and a very temporary condition.

I hold no illusions of special privileged owed to me for my patronage up to this point. I've also been a paying customer since v.2 on the Dreamcast - owning and paying to play online with the Xbox, NGC, PC, etc - versions of PSO & PSU. Whatever sentiments of "paying my fair share" is merely consolation for what I may feel is an unbalanced sense of reciprocity in the matter. It holds no bearing legally, and tenuously holds little merit ethically. By playing on a private server and canceling my 360 account, I understand that I am in the wrong. I just don't care at this point.

I understand and respect Sega's right to seek legal against such endeavors should they choose to do so. Though I wouldn't be happy about it in the least, I would have to take their side on the matter objectively. Basically, fuck em - and if they decide to bring the hammer down, then I will walk away without crybabying and stirring up drama.

Overall, I echo Ezodagrom sentiment that I am really more interested in Sega's next PS online/offline game at this point. PSU had the potential be a really great game, and it may yet become so under the management of a fanbase who genuinely wants to see the game fulfill that potential... but face it, the ride is pretty much over - and the game has run it's course. It's time for something new. Some facets of PSU that I am unpleased with cannot be remedied by customer service - but are a result of art direction, storyline, and game structure stymied by poor direction and insufficient budget. That is something we need a whole new game for... and hopefully, this time, Sonic Team will be involved in name only, while letting an outside development studio or the original PS team take the reigns.