PDA

View Full Version : Zune

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jul 13, 2010, 10:08 AM
anyone else use Zunes instead of ipods or some other sort of mp3 player?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 13, 2010, 10:13 AM
Yes.

Because itunes is no good.

PSP, but the EQ(Z) is no good. :(

Outrider
Jul 13, 2010, 10:28 AM
I've been using a refurbished first-generation Zune for about four years now.

The device works great - it has a nice big screen, the UI is good, and I've dropped it a number of times and it still works as good as day one (decent battery life as well).

The Zune program is broken broken broken.

- It arbitrarily yanks music from my collection only to put it back in again five minutes later.
- Half of the time, it freezes on its first sync attempt.
- It adds in completely unrelated album art for songs (including throwing some gangster rap album art to Chrono Trigger music... somehow.)
- It duplicates my songs (sometimes as many as four times!) for no reason I can discern. I check the paths for these songs and it's all the same, so it's not an organizational issue on my computer.
- It's just slow. Bad and slow. iTunes never locks up or slows down on me while Zune does both all the time.

The weirdest thing is that nobody else on these forums claims to have these problems. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever somebody brings up the Zune.

Leviathan
Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 AM

The device works great - it has a nice big screen, the UI is good, and I've dropped it a number of times and it still works as good as day one (decent battery life as well).

- It arbitrarily yanks music from my collection only to put it back in again five minutes later.
- It adds in completely unrelated album art for songs (including throwing some gangster rap album art to Chrono Trigger music... somehow.)
- It duplicates my songs (sometimes as many as four times!) for no reason I can discern. I check the paths for these songs and it's all the same, so it's not an organizational issue on my computer.
- It's just slow. Bad and slow. iTunes never locks up or slows down on me while Zune does both all the time.

The weirdest thing is that nobody else on these forums claims to have these problems. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever somebody brings up the Zune.

You're crazy Papa Outrider! Get down from the refrigerator before you hurt yourself.

<For a awhile I had Zune, but I got rid of it because I didn't like it.>

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jul 13, 2010, 10:42 AM

im using a re-certified zune first gen too, and ur not taking crazy pills, that stuff happens, my friend complains about it and my brother has + somehow i got southpark music on it when i never put it there. the zune program isnt perfect, but i still prefer to itunes mostly for the look, and the organization it uses, but the device is very good in my opinion.

Outrider
Jul 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
the zune program isnt perfect, but i still prefer to itunes mostly for the look, and the organization it uses, but the device is very good in my opinion.

Yeah, it's certainly a much prettier program than iTunes.

Volcompat321
Jul 13, 2010, 02:04 PM
Love Zune, and everything about it. No complaints at all.

Palle
Jul 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
No Zune here.

I still have my first-gen Nano, which thanks to breakage can only interface via the dock connector, and thus can only be listened to in my car. My phone has double the storage anyway, so I use that for all other occasions.

However, my next phone may not feature great storage and media player functions, so I may soon consider the Zune.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 13, 2010, 07:36 PM
However, my next phone may not feature great storage and media player functions, so I may soon consider the Zune.
What you said in the other topic about selling an idea/concept combined with what I said once about why don't Zune have a store on the XBLOX marketplace with the microbux people get bored and spend on themes and avatar millibyte size pics... instead to buy songs for whatever = a dollar, especially when its tough to interface and only CD rip and never playlist works, USB ipod or Zune only listen when connected, can't download from large HDD to,

We can bling it up. BIG- O-SHOW TIME

Gotta go to industry conventions and pitch a table.

Ketchup345
Jul 13, 2010, 09:01 PM
Zune HD here. A few minor annoyances, but overall I like it. For some reason, last time I tried, it didn't like the idea of a 639 or more song play list. No problems at 638 songs. No problems moving music that I remember. I just wish I was able to bring up the side button's functions without hitting either the power or the menu button first. It took me 3 tries to find a working wall charger for it (for some reason my player didn't like charging using the USB cord plugged into a wall adapter, it charged by USB from the computer or a USB cord plugged into a car adapter or with what I finally ended up with- a wall adapter with a built in cord).

Before this I had a Creative Zen Vision:M, and before that a Dell DJ (2nd gen).

Tetsaru
Jul 14, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have an 8GB Zune, and it's alright... much better than my old MP3 player, anyway. I do have a few complaints about it though:

1 - The battery life SUCKS on mine. Probably only 3 hours or so? I'll be riding in the car going out of town listening to something, and it'll die on me on the way back... either that, or it'll die on me soon after I start it up the next time, and the battery life bar always says it still has at least half a charge left on it... wtf??

2 - The software interface seems a bit confusing to navigate for me. Why can't I just drag and drop music files like I was placing them onto a separate drive, instead of having to figure out what directory it's trying to read from, sync all the crap from that directory, and then make me have to pick out which files I don't want on there?

3 - Thankfully there was an option to turn this off, but why have a touch pad function on the actual button you use to navigate through menus? That annoyed the crap out of me - the circular "d-pad" is wonky enough as it is without having to interpret my own body heat as an input to go apeshit WHILE I'm trying to press a certain direction...

4 - The Zune also apparently can't allocate proper album cover art properly to some of my songs. Some of my songs that I KNOW are from different sources all have the same image of one of the Cowboy Bebop OST's for some reason...

Nitro Vordex
Jul 14, 2010, 06:14 PM
I don't have any of that fancy stuff. Just a 2GB MP3 player I got for like 50 bucks. It's easier on me because then I don't have to put my whole library on it, only what I want to listen to.

Sadly, the screen broke recently, so I can't see what I'm doing. Good thing I memorized about 80% of the menus.

AC9breaker
Jul 14, 2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah I recently bought a Zune HD about 4 months ago and it's super sleek. Althought I find it kind of funny that the same reason that Outrider dislikes the Zune program are the same reason I dislike the Itunes program. Meanwhile just as he stated, I haven't had any issues with the Zune program and plus the interface is so smooth. I also like the community features it has, really want to mess around more with the Zune Marketplace.

http://social.zune.net/member/AC9Breaker

Outrider
Jul 15, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'm gonna have to fraps up a video or something sometime, because I swear I'm not crazy. iTunes is about a bajillion times faster on my machine than Zune.