PDA

View Full Version : Ambition and Motivation

Outrider
Jul 13, 2010, 10:35 AM
Man, it's hard to get myself to do everything I want to do these days.

I don't draw much anymore and I haven't written anything in a month or two.

The thing that drives me the craziest is that I've got 20+ rough game ideas I want to prototype out and I just keep hitting roadblocks when I try to do them. Anybody want to be a code monkey for me?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 13, 2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know what to tell you other than projects can get sidetracked fast, despite groups you thought were committed to it, but any closure is exhilarating at the end, despite how it may turn out.

The point is its a done deal project you didn't think would happen, but it did, due to luck, effort, and sheer will(power).

Or it didn't happen, due to too many constraints so next time you know who to work with or not work with, then experience gather used as valuable for next time.

-
TL;DR
Too long didn't read? But you're not Outrider anyway so who cares what you aren't doing!
-

Bonus long story short and supplemental update advice help exclaim:

Get out of your rut Outider!

Outrider
Jul 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah. It's really the games thing that bothers me. I keep getting caught on one or two relatively minor issues that I just can't figure out for the life of me.

This is where my lack of practical programming experience makes things very difficult.

It doesn't help that I'm using GameMaker, which doesn't have a lot of useful documentation available online. The included help file is useful, but it's all relatively abstract and sometimes I'm hoping to get help on a very specific issue.

Weeaboolits
Jul 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
I got a new sketchbook, I have no excuse not to draw now.

I'm always having game ideas, but my complete lack of programming expertise gets in the way of that.

Outrider
Jul 13, 2010, 02:27 PM
As much as I complain about it, Game Maker is actually a great program for simplified game development.

I wouldn't suggest trying to build out a 20 hour epic with it, but I've made a few playable arcade-style and casual games with it.

Weeaboolits
Jul 13, 2010, 02:31 PM
I used to toy with that one, I should give it another try sometime.

Volcompat321
Jul 13, 2010, 02:44 PM
Teach me how to code monkey for you, and I shall try.

Outrider
Jul 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
My current issue revolves around having an enemy slash at the player and perform melee damage. The easiest way to do this was to create a new object that acts as the hitbox for the melee damage (that exists only for the duration of the attack), but making sure it moves with the enemy it's attached to as well as not getting confused by multiple instances of the same enemy has proved to be a problem.

I hadn't looked at anything for a few months, so when I finally took another look last week I gave up after only a couple hours of trying to figure it out.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jul 13, 2010, 06:52 PM
^
"So its not you, its (attacking) me" ?

Well there are self help books about getting over a bad relationship. And hopefully inspiring game designers tried to make a "for dummies" about the Gamemaker program, with links to better forums of others out there to answer and ask their own questions too.

Palle
Jul 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
You could always make a pitch to a big name and sell out. Percentages would get you some healthy supplemental income on top of your buy-out fee.