PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or do all the weapons look alike?

Daemon Gildas
Jul 20, 2010, 03:23 PM
Something I just now noticed, I think it's the reason I haven't been quite as hardcore about PSU as I was in PSO; all the weapons seem to look very much alike.

Obviously, there are a *ton* of different designs, but I think, because the "glow" on weapons is based on attribute, not the weapon itself, it kinda makes them all bleed together. Not to mention, *every* weapon has a glow of some kind.

A great example of what I'm talking about, is the Kitty Claws. Those are obviously a "joke weapon", in the same vein that PSO had. However, because the "glow" is so bright, and is random depending on the attribute, it's easy for it to look like "any other claw weapon".

I first noticed it when I was browsing this site, and saw the picture of the Lavis Blades, with a Fire-attribute. Even though I could tell what they were, because I worshipped the Lavis weapons in PSO, it just didn't really look like *the* Lavis Blades.

I dunno, is it just me, or do a lot of the weapons kind of look the same?

xBladeM6x
Jul 20, 2010, 03:34 PM
I think you think too much. :P

Tetsaru
Jul 20, 2010, 03:43 PM
As I've said before: Sonic Team loves their reskins. Both PSO AND PSU suffer this problem to varying extents, but I'd even go so far to say that PSU's weapons are just worse in general. Their graphical appearances are hardly an upgrade from PSO, they all have a max of 10 grinds, very few of them have special abilities, and most of them don't even have the animations that the old PSO weapons did (Psycho Wand comes to mind).

The whole photon glow effect didn't really bother me much... as a gunner, I liked being able to tell at a glance which elemental bullet I had equipped, for example. Some weapons just looked redonkulous with it, though (Gekitsnata, anyone?). Other than that, some lower-rank weapons look like they'd be S ranks to me, while some S ranks look like total shit - the Edil Fucil looks they took the Mizurakihoh and stripped it down, imo...

str898mustang
Jul 20, 2010, 04:18 PM
As I've said before: Sonic Team loves their reskins. Both PSO AND PSU suffer this problem to varying extents, but I'd even go so far to say that PSU's weapons are just worse in general. Their graphical appearances are hardly an upgrade from PSO, they all have a max of 10 grinds, very few of them have special abilities, and most of them don't even have the animations that the old PSO weapons did (Psycho Wand comes to mind).

The whole photon glow effect didn't really bother me much... as a gunner, I liked being able to tell at a glance which elemental bullet I had equipped, for example. Some weapons just looked redonkulous with it, though (Gekitsnata, anyone?). Other than that, some lower-rank weapons look like they'd be S ranks to me, while some S ranks look like total shit - the Edil Fucil looks they took the Mizurakihoh and stripped it down, imo...

PSO is old and done with. Yeah i played it and it was good while it lasted (I like PSU a ton better). As far as animations and such, i dont mind them. JP PSU has plenty of weapons that have animations and such. Some weapons do have "hidden attributes" as u said which variance is an attribute. Zagza has a small var. than Bil De Axe. Gekitsnata has a longer range than the Tenora spears. The only weapon I do know that has an hidden attribute is Dallgun Rod which adds +80 MST but the variance on that thing serious sucks and not worth using. I prefer the Psyco Wand on here being that I prefer it to be in it's "open" position. I thought it looked horrible on PSO being closed the whole time until u cast it.

tl;dr version: PSU is not PSO so stop comparing them.

Typestatic
Jul 20, 2010, 04:23 PM
PSU is not PSO so stop comparing them.

Can't stress that enough, thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq4NeqOXZGc

Daemon Gildas
Jul 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
Well, all I meant was, by every weapon having a sort of "customized" feel, it really detracts from what makes the "joke weapons" so unique. For example, the Fluorescent Bulb looks more like a handle-less lightsaber, whereas if it sported a white-ish, duller light, it'd be easier to distinguish "Hah, it's a light-bulb!", rather than "Hmm, something about his Saber looks different...".

I mean, it's certainly not something I'm upset over. I just think it's one aspect that doesn't really serve itself well. With items like the Lavis weapons or Kitty-claws, the "Photon-light" kind of overrides the design themselves.

RemiusTA
Jul 20, 2010, 05:28 PM
Something I just now noticed, I think it's the reason I haven't been quite as hardcore about PSU as I was in PSO; all the weapons seem to look very much alike.

Obviously, there are a *ton* of different designs, but I think, because the "glow" on weapons is based on attribute, not the weapon itself, it kinda makes them all bleed together. Not to mention, *every* weapon has a glow of some kind.

A great example of what I'm talking about, is the Kitty Claws. Those are obviously a "joke weapon", in the same vein that PSO had. However, because the "glow" is so bright, and is random depending on the attribute, it's easy for it to look like "any other claw weapon".

I first noticed it when I was browsing this site, and saw the picture of the Lavis Blades, with a Fire-attribute. Even though I could tell what they were, because I worshipped the Lavis weapons in PSO, it just didn't really look like *the* Lavis Blades.

I dunno, is it just me, or do a lot of the weapons kind of look the same?

It's not that the weapons all look the same, its that they were just very, very lazy with this game.

And no, not with the weapon designs, but with the weapons themselves. More than HALF of them have no extra effect or visual effect to them, and with no Extra Attack on PSU, you have no neat gimmick to play with on the side. The fact that Elemental attributes play such a damn huge part in this game also potentially destroys whatever fun you get from getting a Rare weapon. Unless you get a very high %, you'll always feel like your weapon is "less than rare".

Its mostly because of what they did with the battle system that killed the Rares of PSU. Its because they took most of the depth away. With the Grinding and Element % portion of the game, weapons have a HUGE variable range of whether they are at max potential or not. Every weapon break = lower in value and max power, unlike in PSO, where a weapon was essentially badass whether you got a Monster % or not, and grinding felt way better since you could put so many grinds on a single weapon.

Like i said, removal of Extra Attack severely cripples the fun of rares in this game. You dont have weapons that have things like Half Hp, EXP Steal, Instant Death, Elemental attack damage (with the neat effect), or something even better like the Lavis cannon attack or anything. And to make it even worse, weapons that they TRIED to give special effects (like extra attack power for HP sacrifice) work like shit and are ALWAYS active, which usually leads to issues. The most common perk for rares is an Extra Target...and lets be real, nobody gives a fuck that the Agito has its name changed to "SLASH" and doesnt do anything but hit an extra target. Whoopde-fuckin-doo.

Good example of this is the Ank Kireek. It's almost useless because it kills you anytime it becomes useful. That, and the strength really isnt that exponential to warrant the damage it causes. Now, on the other hand, if it was like, oh say the Musashi's from PSO, you could choose when you wanted to use the extra attack to get a grand boost of power in expense of your HP. They focused too much on the GRINDING aspect of the weapons in this game, and too much on "FLASHY COOL COMBOS!!" instead of making sure everything worked the way it should. As a result, Rare Weapons are nothing more than regular weapons with higher stats.

Oh and about joke weapons, a good reason PSU really doesn't have any Joke weapons is because of what i've already mentioned above -- the engine is designed in a way that doesn't give you any freedom with the way you attack other than ATTACK or PHOTON ART or TECHNIC. For instance, Forces couldn't even really have joke weapons in this game, because you can no longer physically attack with your weapon -- any button you press casts a spell. Every joke weapon will just be a different model to cast with -- you'll still fight the exact same way.

So no matter how powerful PSU's most powerful weapon may be...unless i can shoot out a Blue Death Wave like the Tsumikiri J-Sword could, or Wind Scar them like the Dark Flow, or even shoot a tiny wave like the Lavis Cannon or Oriagito, i dont think i give a damn. Agito Replica / Ely Sion are complete disgraces of ultimate weapons. The only diference between them and a C-Rank regular 'ol Sword is a 3D model and a few number differences.

pikachief
Jul 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
Svaltus Sword =/= De Ragan Slayer

Spread Needle =/= Shigga barec

Psycho Wand =/= Alterzgoug

Dragwind
Jul 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
I never really had much of an issue with the weapon models or glow in this game. Being able to tell a weapons element from afar adds some flavor if you ask me.

Pirrip
Jul 22, 2010, 03:58 PM
I like the glow, but I do wish there were special animations with more ridiculous weapon options.
I wouldn't mind if they made a joke weapon without a glow on it, I would just have to keep track of what element it was by checking my weapons menu. Not a big deal to me.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
the thing I miss were the rule breaker items.

Holy Ray requiring MST to use, for example. neat stuff