PDA

View Full Version : PSU isn't PSO

BIG OLAF
Jul 21, 2010, 06:14 PM
PSU is not PSO so stop comparing them.

Can't stress that enough, thank you.

I'm going to second Typestatic's notion. I've been saying that for years, mustang. No one really seems to get it still. Thank you.

The game isn't called "Phantasy Star Online 2", it's "Phantasy Star Universe".

Tetsaru
Jul 22, 2010, 12:42 AM
The game isn't called "Phantasy Star Online 2", it's "Phantasy Star Universe".

It's still called "Phantasy Star" though. And it's still run by Sega/Sonic Team. :D

GJARE
Jul 22, 2010, 12:45 AM
Who in their right mind compares a Phantasy Star game to another Phantasy Star game? I mean really it sure doesn't make any sense on why you would compare them!

Razor21
Jul 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
Something I just now noticed, I think it's the reason I haven't been quite as hardcore about PSU as I was in PSO; all the weapons seem to look very much alike.

Obviously, there are a *ton* of different designs, but I think, because the "glow" on weapons is based on attribute, not the weapon itself, it kinda makes them all bleed together. Not to mention, *every* weapon has a glow of some kind.

A great example of what I'm talking about, is the Kitty Claws. Those are obviously a "joke weapon", in the same vein that PSO had. However, because the "glow" is so bright, and is random depending on the attribute, it's easy for it to look like "any other claw weapon".

I first noticed it when I was browsing this site, and saw the picture of the Lavis Blades, with a Fire-attribute. Even though I could tell what they were, because I worshipped the Lavis weapons in PSO, it just didn't really look like *the* Lavis Blades.

I dunno, is it just me, or do a lot of the weapons kind of look the same?
I must say, i agree with your observation as its been my own for quiet some time. I think psu would better itself as a whole if it had a bit more variety thrown in. Everything from the weapons to the levels all look to be the same reskins (yes i know they are). It would seem that this game could perfect itself a bit more then what it is now...

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Jul 22, 2010, 04:52 PM
It's not that the weapons all look the same, its that they were just very, very lazy with this game.

And no, not with the weapon designs, but with the weapons themselves. More than HALF of them have no extra effect or visual effect to them, and with no Extra Attack on PSU, you have no neat gimmick to play with on the side. The fact that Elemental attributes play such a damn huge part in this game also potentially destroys whatever fun you get from getting a Rare weapon. Unless you get a very high %, you'll always feel like your weapon is "less than rare".

Its mostly because of what they did with the battle system that killed the Rares of PSU. Its because they took most of the depth away. With the Grinding and Element % portion of the game, weapons have a HUGE variable range of whether they are at max potential or not. Every weapon break = lower in value and max power, unlike in PSO, where a weapon was essentially badass whether you got a Monster % or not, and grinding felt way better since you could put so many grinds on a single weapon.

Like i said, removal of Extra Attack severely cripples the fun of rares in this game. You dont have weapons that have things like Half Hp, EXP Steal, Instant Death, Elemental attack damage (with the neat effect), or something even better like the Lavis cannon attack or anything. And to make it even worse, weapons that they TRIED to give special effects (like extra attack power for HP sacrifice) work like shit and are ALWAYS active, which usually leads to issues. The most common perk for rares is an Extra Target...and lets be real, nobody gives a fuck that the Agito has its name changed to "SLASH" and doesnt do anything but hit an extra target. Whoopde-fuckin-doo.

Good example of this is the Ank Kireek. It's almost useless because it kills you anytime it becomes useful. That, and the strength really isnt that exponential to warrant the damage it causes. Now, on the other hand, if it was like, oh say the Musashi's from PSO, you could choose when you wanted to use the extra attack to get a grand boost of power in expense of your HP. They focused too much on the GRINDING aspect of the weapons in this game, and too much on "FLASHY COOL COMBOS!!" instead of making sure everything worked the way it should. As a result, Rare Weapons are nothing more than regular weapons with higher stats.

Oh and about joke weapons, a good reason PSU really doesn't have any Joke weapons is because of what i've already mentioned above -- the engine is designed in a way that doesn't give you any freedom with the way you attack other than ATTACK or PHOTON ART or TECHNIC. For instance, Forces couldn't even really have joke weapons in this game, because you can no longer physically attack with your weapon -- any button you press casts a spell. Every joke weapon will just be a different model to cast with -- you'll still fight the exact same way.

So no matter how powerful PSU's most powerful weapon may be...unless i can shoot out a Blue Death Wave like the Tsumikiri J-Sword could, or Wind Scar them like the Dark Flow, or even shoot a tiny wave like the Lavis Cannon or Oriagito, i dont think i give a damn. Agito Replica / Ely Sion are complete disgraces of ultimate weapons. The only diference between them and a C-Rank regular 'ol Sword is a 3D model and a few number differences.
THREAD!!!!!/
Don't forget the heaven punisher(it's been turned into a cast SUV blast), c bringers rifle, snow queen, spreed needle(psu version is a joke), egg blasters, holly ray(psu version sucks), dark meteor, dark bridge, evil fork, barla arms, hildabear cane(it made noise lol), gi guu blaster(I probably spelled it wrong) etc etc lol.

The only weapon that truly stood out and look like a true rare to me was the adanna cannon. The affects, what monster it comes from, how cool and different it looked from other guns made it a true ultimate rare to me.

Psu levels are missing something that pso had too. Why the fuck are the levels sooo big when there is only 6 people per game? They made the levels like this game is truly an mmorpg like World of warcraft lol. Half the level isn't even used!!!! smaller maps > big ass maps filled half way up. Also the levels on pso had like hidden areas that you had to blast through stuff to find. Most important TELLE PIPES!! I WOULD THINK THAT THE USE OF TELLE PIPES ON THOSE UNNECESSARY HUGE ASS PSU MAPS WOULD BE MANDATORY LOL.

I'll see you guys on the next PSO/PSU game. Sega probably gonna come out with it next year lol. This game is past it's prime and they take waaay too long to release shit.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Jul 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
tl;dr version: PSU is not PSO so stop comparing them.
Hmmmm lets see here

PHANTASY STAR online, PHANTASY STAR online episode 1&2, PHANTASY STAR blue burst. PHANTASY STAR universe, PHANTASY STAR aoti...........Notice anything???...............

Daemon Gildas
Jul 22, 2010, 06:22 PM
I never really had much of an issue with the weapon models or glow in this game. Being able to tell a weapons element from afar adds some flavor if you ask me.

I think it's great as far as "regular" weapons go, but in the case of "Special" weapons (namely non-copy Kubara weapons), each one should have a specific look, and maybe even specific attributes. The best example I could think of, is the Lavis weapons; those are always carry the "Lavis-blue" look, regardless of attribute.

It's not that the attribute-glow looks *bad*, but that it makes all of the designs look interchangeable. Admit it; from a distance, you probably wouldn't be able tell any difference between the Kitty Claws, and any generic twin-claw weapon. In my opinion, that just detracts from what makes the "Special weapons" so special.

Sange/Yasha/Sangeyasha is really the one example where I think they really hit the nail on the head. You *can* tell what attribute the weapons are, but it doesn't overpower the weapon-design itself.

pikachief
Jul 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
PSU and PSO are very very different :/ They may share a lot of things as in the name of course, but there are so many things that arent the same!

Races, Classes, Weapons, Weapon Classes, Attacks, battle System, clothines, Lobbies.

Just about every single thing about Phantasy Star Universe is different from Phantasy Star Online.

Will you all also agree that Phantasy Star 1-4 are the same as Phantasy Star Online because Phantasy Star is in the title?

BIG OLAF
Jul 22, 2010, 07:55 PM
Will you all also agree that Phantasy Star 1-4 are the same as Phantasy Star Online because Phantasy Star is in the title?

Aw, beat me to it. Haha, that's what I was about to say.

But! According to some people's logic, it has to be the same. I mean, "Phantasy Star" is in the title. Doesn't matter that PSI-IV were old-time turn-based RPGs and PSO was an action RPG. Same head titles, same gameplay style, right?

zombiemoshpit84
Jul 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
THREAD!!!!!/
Don't forget the heaven punisher(it's been turned into a cast SUV blast), c bringers rifle, snow queen, spreed needle(psu version is a joke), egg blasters, holly ray(psu version sucks), dark meteor, dark bridge, evil fork, barla arms, hildabear cane(it made noise lol), gi guu blaster(I probably spelled it wrong) etc etc lol.

The only weapon that truly stood out and look like a true rare to me was the adanna cannon. The affects, what monster it comes from, how cool and different it looked from other guns made it a true ultimate rare to me.

Psu levels are missing something that pso had too. Why the fuck are the levels sooo big when there is only 6 people per game? They made the levels like this game is truly an mmorpg like World of warcraft lol. Half the level isn't even used!!!! smaller maps > big ass maps filled half way up. Also the levels on pso had like hidden areas that you had to blast through stuff to find. Most important TELLE PIPES!! I WOULD THINK THAT THE USE OF TELLE PIPES ON THOSE UNNECESSARY HUGE ASS PSU MAPS WOULD BE MANDATORY LOL.

I'll see you guys on the next PSO/PSU game. Sega probably gonna come out with it next year lol. This game is past it's prime and they take waaay too long to release shit.

you are right about everything but the belra cannon. the belra cannon could not combo had joke atp and NO ata, the special had a 100% chance to miss. and the iceing on top or the suck cake is the drop rate, one of the most difficult emeny wepons to hunt. if you can hit and enemy twice in a row with the psu version of belra reguardless of the damage output, then its superior by default. all the other pso wepons you mentioned are better then there PSU counterparts.

GJARE
Jul 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
lol i compare 3rd strike to SSF4 and say third strike is better. They have the same title but have different mechanics. THOSE GAMES ARE NOT SIMILAR IN ANY WAY. JUST LIKE PSO AND PSU. i mean lol what is the same about pso and psu? <_>. They definitley do not have similar gameplay and mechanics at all. I spelled something wrong didnt I.
EDIT: Everyone here who posted before me is a genius

Hansha
Jul 22, 2010, 11:00 PM
So you guys are saying that a sequel should not have better/more original weapon design and function than what came before it?

RemiusTA
Jul 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
lol i compare 3rd strike to SSF4 and say third strike is better. They have the same title but have different mechanics. THOSE GAMES ARE NOT SIMILAR IN ANY WAY. JUST LIKE PSO AND PSU. i mean lol what is the same about pso and psu? <_>. They definitley do not have similar gameplay and mechanics at all. I spelled something wrong didnt I

For everyone saying you cant compare the two because "they are different"...

...No offense, but that's BS. It doesn't matter how different it is, the fact of the matter is it's supposed to be designed to WORK for itself. PSU deviated from the PSO style of gameplay. Nothing wrong with that, right? Well, when you deviate, you're supposed to look back while you're going forward to make sure you haven't stepped too far off track. Thats what PSU didn't do. At all.

The issues with the things PSU added and removed is that almost everything they removed had more to do with the depth of the game than ANYTHING they added. Lockon and Strafe are all very nice additions, as they allow them to be more versatile with the enemy AI and force you to dodge. However, everything else they did basically removed the PSO depth and replaced it with nothing. Removal of customization, Unarmed Technic Casting, Timed Combos, and Extra/Hard attack are the 100% ABSOLUTE WORST things they've done to this game. Long story short...they just took the wrong direction on EVERYTHING. Extra Effects on the weapons were removed alltogher, along with the Tekkers. Then, they did something to Troll all the players -- added an ITEM SYNTHESIS feature....that doesn't even allow weapon customization. How awesome would it be for instead of them REMOVING the Tekker System from PSO, they simply altered it, and instead of the Tekker TELLING you what Extra Attack you got, you had to find the ingredients and synthesize it into your weapon? Completely dropped the ball. Synthesis now is just another stupid method of letting you break your weapon / getting bullshit %s to randomize all the stuff in the game and force you to grind more to get what you want.

For Hunters..."Timing" has been reduced to "button mashing", "finding the time to attack" has been replaced with "mash triangle watch enemies fly", "Weapon for different situations" has been replaced with "weapon with the best photon art attacks." They take every weapon and basically make the FORM of the weapon absolutely useless, which is the OPPOSITE of how PSO made weapon types interesting. Everything is miss matched.

Rangers, oh i dont know how PSU rangers even live with their boring ass class. There is only ONE button to playing a ranger -- the attack button. You can attack, and you can only attack. Rangers used to be the class that had weapons that didn't really do high damage, but had alot of things to compensate for instead -- Extra Attacks and versatility. Extra Attacks on melee weapons in PSO wern't that useful, but on Ranger Weapons they could make or break one. Instant Kill and Special Effect attacks were FAR more useful for the class that didnt have to worry about missing and getting hit. You got to sit back and work your magic, spreading status effects, stealing HP/TP/EXP, doing elemental or % health damage, or just flat out killing the opponent. Now, you equip a bullet and spam the square button until things die. No Charge attacks, no Extra attacks. Strafe, shoot. Strafe, Shoot. Dull as muffins.

Forces...you poor little bastards, you. They used to be crowd control, high damage, speed, and support all rolled up into one tiny, squishy package. Now, they're in the same squishy package but FAR less versatile, dangerous, or even useful. No unarmed casting means you cant use a saber/dagger/ ANY weapon other than your technic weapons and be useful anymore, completely nuking any form of versatility. Slower casting means you're wide open all the time now. The fact that you CANT LOCK ON anymore means you'll miss about 60% of your technic casts. Oh and the absolute worst part, AOE ATTACKS WITH TARGET LIMITATIONS? What the christ were these people thinking? Ra- technics used to be the ULTIMATE room clearer, now they're just freaking PATHETIC -- i throw a Ra- spell into a group of enemies and only hit THREE or FOUR? SERIOUSLY? The explosion is almost as big as the FINAL BOSS ITSELF and it only hits FOUR TARGETS? Oh, and lets not even mention the fact it doesn't hit ANY multi-hitbox enemies. God damn, ST.

Forces...useless vs. bosses, fast enemies, large enemies, practically anything that isnt small and weak gets to literally run over you the whole game as you use attacks that dont even knock them down. Absolutely pathetic. Forces are absolute shit.

Yeah im done with this. you get my point. I could go on for hours, though. Haven't even gotten into the HUGE downgrade in character animation, lackluster soundtrack AND sound effects, horrible level design, stupid cliche story, Grinding-based gameplay mechanics...this game was a mess.

Typestatic
Jul 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
QQ

You know what, it's the PSO fan base which keeps Sega from moving the franchise forward in a completely new direction...

RemiusTA
Jul 22, 2010, 11:37 PM
QQ

You know what, it's the PSO fan base which keeps Sega from moving the franchise forward in a completely new direction...

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. Enough bullshit to grow a football field.

SEGA is the reason its fanbase is so pissy. SEGA is the reason they cant move their games in the right direction, because they keep choosing the path of "easy way out" instead of "lets take the time to do what we need to". They're run by a bunch of talentless people who are more concerned with the release date of their next Bomb and fanservice than making something genuine.

The old Sonic Team used to be masters of moving shit in "new directions", or have you forgotten this? Don't blame pissed off fans for the screwups of the company. They've had over 5 years to correct these blantant screwups, but refuse to even acknoledge them. Just look at the state of our servers for christ sake.

Tired of people saying that, jeeze. Its annoying.

Edit:

And i guess im not too clear on what i mean by "easy way out". PSU's design choices just SCREAM "milk them for as much as we can", from unlocking content off the disc, to annoying, grind-based gameplay designed to (essentally) never let you get what you want. PSO lacked any of these design choices, and most (if not all) of PSU's gameplay mechanics were changed to fit this. Weapon Grinding (and weapon breaking), completley random Elemental Precentages on weapons and even armor, Item Synthesis that requires you to get MULTIPLE RARES (all with varied drop rates), to synthesize an item that also has a success/fail rate to it, potentally rendering it useless...everything becomes % chance and grind. This is something that F2P MMOs spam, and its exactly how they get so much out of their cash shop.

....And guess what PSU has recently become? Free to Play with a Subscription AND a Cash Shop. Its just the way japan makes games these days -- do what works and ditch everything else. A game with a Subscription AND a Cash Shop is the most fucking absurd shit i've ever heard of. It completely negates the reason the game had a Subscription in the first place.

BIG OLAF
Jul 22, 2010, 11:46 PM
Man, someone's pissed. I don't even feel like making a coherent response to those walls of rage.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Jul 22, 2010, 11:47 PM
So you guys are saying that a sequel should not have better/more original weapon design and function than what came before it?
LOL I see what you did there. Some people in here completely missed the point Of the thread starter. It seems that you understood his point. A lot of us vets feel this way lol. This is the main reason why sooo many people stopped playing. There not adding anything to give us that "spark" we felt with pso. Shit just feels like a large upgraded remake with key elements missing.

(to whom this way concern) Look, Nobody is saying PSU sucks. All we're saying is

"Isn't this a fucking upgrade? so why does it feel like an half ass upgrade" that is all lol.

Somebody in here said "it's a completely different game" lol. Somebody else compared the 2D turn based offline game to the 3D online games lol!!! pso and psu are basically the same. psu is just a larger upgraded version with a different title! just like the other 3D online titles.

Now if you want to talk about an all around different style of Pso play yall should have brought up the pso card game. PSU IS PSO WITH A LOT OF THINGS ADDED AND THAT IS ALL. WHAT GAME ARE YOU GUYS PLAYING LOL?

you are right about everything but the belra cannon. the belra cannon could not combo had joke atp and NO ata, the special had a 100% chance to miss. and the iceing on top or the suck cake is the drop rate, one of the most difficult emeny wepons to hunt. if you can hit and enemy twice in a row with the psu version of belra reguardless of the damage output, then its superior by default. all the other pso wepons you mentioned are better then there PSU counterparts.
LOL!!! I hear ya man you just brought back some funny memories. But that wasn't my point, I meant that the design, the sound it made when it fired, the graphics of it firing etc etc. It didn't feel like a regular bazooka(wait a minute, there was no bazooka class lol)

off topic:

I did hit every once in awhile but it didn't ever work in ultimate mode. That was one of those few weapons that sega fucked up on. It had "very hard mode" stats but you could only get it in ultimate lol. By the time you got to ultimate that weapon was useless. That spread gun that shot out nothing but electricity was also like the berla cannon.

BIG OLAF
Jul 22, 2010, 11:50 PM
Somebody else compared the 2D turn based offline game to the 3D online games lol!!!

That "somebody" was me, and It was 100% sarcastic. I thought that would have been easy to see.

RemiusTA
Jul 22, 2010, 11:52 PM
(to whom this way concern) Look, Nobody is saying PSU sucks. All we're saying is

"Isn't this a fucking upgrade? so why does it feel like an half ass upgrade" that is all lol.

This. Everything about the game is half-assed. Tragedy is, its still a decent game even with its screwups, which is why most of us still complain about it. Its a running game that still gets service (jp anyway), but they dont fix anything. They just keep finding ways to "shut people up".

Man, someone's pissed. I don't even feel like making a coherent response to those walls of rage.

If you think you can, be my guest. Wont flame you, i'll just prove you wrong. ; 3

Edit: but you know its something about those "omg just live with it they're trying" statements that piss me off. Just sounds so...obnoxious to me.

BIG OLAF
Jul 22, 2010, 11:53 PM
If you think you can, be my guest. Wont flame you, i'll just prove you wrong. ; 3

I never said it was going to be a negative response. I just didn't feel like saying anything at all. Quite speechless, I was.

However, I must slightly disagree with your opinion of Forces. I don't see how they're completely useless against bosses, and large enemies. My friend crushes Mother Brain's arms with Diga, and ruins larger creatures (such as Jarbas and Bal Sozas) with Nos and Dam spells.

But, I do agree with your Ra spell factoids. They should definitely hit more than one measly hit box. It's quite aggravating.

RemiusTA
Jul 23, 2010, 12:08 AM
However, I must slightly disagree with your opinion of Forces. I don't see how they're completely useless against bosses, and large enemies. My friend crushes Mother Brain's arms with Diga, and ruins larger creatures (such as Jarbas and Bal Sozas) with Nos and Dam spells.

But, I do agree with your Ra spell factoids. They should definitely hit more than one measly hit box. It's quite aggravating.

I frequently exaggerate the flaws of the forces (as i do most things), but the point stands that they are a design flaw of the game in themselves. They get all of the worse ends of the flaws of this game.

They cant use magic outside of technic weapons. They are painfully slow, and do not benefit from any kind of lockon. The grind-based level up (which i forgot to mention in my last post of how everything in PSU is grind-based) means you have to literally spam your technics for hours on end to even get them to a level where they are marginally useful in combat, as every technic on this game is painfully slow, has horrible range, hits barely any targets, has pathetic accuracy, and does NOT knock enemies down.

Also, in PSO where technics level up and gradually become more and more practical for use against stronger enemies....PSU technics do not. They get way prettier, of course, but their usefulness...not so much. An extra target or another few feet of range is not compensation. Where moves should be tagging everything in the room, they're hitting 1-2 enemies at best, or none at all thanks to horrible targeting. Played perfectly straight in Support Technics, which level up FIFTY times and only change in usefulness Four. Makes no sense at all. None. The fact that Offensive technics do the same thing essentally only makes every 10 levels in them any kind of useful, as the damage they gain is neglegible at best.

And finally, the way the movement in PSU changed has made it way, way, way harder to aim at enemies correctly. Whichever direction you press is the direction you move in, opposed to in PSO where holding left or right made the character actually turn towards the direction before moving...which was obviously done for Rangers and Forces to aim their attacks better without having to do alot of moving or turning around. PSU completely ignored this, and as a result Forces have to 1) strafe or 2) run around before aiming technics again. Its highly, highly annoying.

Sorry, im doing it again -- I can go on forever about whats wrong with forces, because 1) they're the reason i quit PSU in the first place (my main being a force and getting constantly nerfed/shanked as the game progresseS), and 2) PSP2 wrecked the class yet again. ST is becoming incompetent on how to deal with this franchise.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Jul 23, 2010, 12:59 AM
That "somebody" was me, and It was 100% sarcastic. I thought that would have been easy to see.
OH!! ok, had me worried there for a second. I was like "did he really just do that" lol.

This. Everything about the game is half-assed. Tragedy is, its still a decent game even with its screwups, which is why most of us still complain about it. Its a running game that still gets service (jp anyway), but they don't fix anything. They just keep finding ways to "shut people up".

Edit: but you know its something about those "omg just live with it they're trying" statements that piss me off. Just sounds so...obnoxious to me.
LOL at "shut people up". Me and my clan noticed this waaay back at the start of psu aoti. After coming off psu It was obvious that there was going to be an expansion. But as a few months went by with hardly any good updates and rehashed skins with nothing "special" to separate them from the pack we knew what was going to happen. This is the main reason why A lot of people were cheating. But after "acquiring" a few of the yellow star weapons early and saw nothing special about them that sealed the deal.

I also get sick of hearing that tired ass excuse lol!!! this is like their 100th game they shouldn't be "trying" anymore.

Tetsaru
Jul 23, 2010, 01:36 AM
I love how Remius is doing all the PSU-bashing these days that I used to do, because I completely agree with him. :wacko: Funny how I got temporarily banned for it, though... >_>;

That aside, YES, PSU and PSO are different side by side, but they're OF THE SAME FRANCHISE - Phantasy Star - so they SHOULD have some predictable and inherent similarities that the series as a whole was known for. It's like how old Sonic fans have gotten pissed off over the years at how so many of his newer games deviated into areas that just didn't fit Sonic at all; they didn't expect hedgehogs wielding swords or guns, or turning into "werehogs," or developing romantic interests in human princesses.

I could've sworn I was trying to quote an older post earlier today before I left to go to my friend's house... something about how each Final Fantasy game was different from each other. I can definitely agree with that, but in return, I ask you: have you ever played a Final Fantasy game that didn't have chocobos, or moogles, or a guy named Cid who most likely was an engineer and/or worked on airships? Or one that didn't put some sort of significance on crystals, in one way or another? And I can assure you that most of the newer ones run on some form of the Active Time Battle system. Those sort of things are what gamers EXPECT out of Final Fantasy, so if Square-Enix decided to suddenly strip them away, then the game doesn't feel like Final Fantasy anymore. If you look at Final Fantasy fans, not only will you find people that like specific ones, but chances are that you'll run into people who either love the really old ones, or the ones from FF7 onwards (save for maybe FF9, since it was supposed to be more of a throwback to the older ones), due to them being very different in comparison. Even now, a lot of FF fans are a bit worried about FF14, due to how they're removing the old job names like Black Mage, Dragoon, etc., as well as turning old side skills such as alchemy, fishing, smithing, and clothscraft from FF11 into actual job classes that can supposedly be used in battle somehow... don't ask me how that'll work, lol. :confused:

People just need to realize that sudden changes in the norm to a franchise can often polarize the opinions of its fans, especially when there are high expectations to be met for popular franchises. As a result, some people love PSO and hate PSU, some people love them equally, etc.... Unfortunately, as gamers, there's not much we can do, unless the companies are willing to listen to our opinions instead of always looking at their profits. :(

Wow, this thread really got hijacked, but somehow it's still a pretty good discussion, lol...

RemiusTA
Jul 23, 2010, 03:46 AM
In all truth...I dont so much ask for each game to be consistent with the last, i just ask that each game keeps a consistent quality value to it. I used to argue with PSO fanboys about how PSU is pretty much PSO improved in almost every way, but i now realize that isn't true in the slightest. PSU is a downgrade from PSO in almost EVERYTHING but polygon count.

I guess i complain so much because....well, i kind of miss the days when older developers like Sonic Team or Sega Technical Institute, Squaresoft, ect. existed and CONSISTANTLY made amazing and bar-setting games. But most importantly, they were unique, tried new concepts, and usually, these new concepts (although departures from the norm) worked.

Now we have a team with the same name, same logo, same company, same IP, masquerading as the original innovators, constantly spewing shit and expecting us every time to just give up and say "well we should just accept that this is how it is now", like they're desperately trying to get the Sonic Fanbase to do. ( I sware, i think they make tons of shitty sonic games on PURPOSE to lower expectations. I just dont see how the hell they can screw the same thing up so many times in a row.)

But what really makes me furious...its like a TREND these days. People no longer venture out to make exciting new things, and they no longer work hard to deliver the best they can to the consumer. Everything is so safe. It's all "take what works, ditch what doesn't", and each game is just the last one with a few alterations. No more fixes, and worst of all, no more innovation -- Nothing truly ever feels unique anymore. It's like after the Dreamcast left, everyone got blueprints for what the next game will be like, and decided to go with that. Every game is a Free Roamer with HERO or DARK choices, or some kind of FPS that is blatantly comparing itself to Halo or Goldeneye to draw in new fans, or some game about a kid that goes on an adventure that is 100% advertised as a "BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICAL EYECANDY MASTERPIECE AMAZING HANDDRAWN GRAPHICS ORGASM", or some RPG that promises "THREE DIMENSIONAL CHARACTERS DYNAMIC STORYLINE AMAZING whatever dude dont care anymore. Its just a movie i can control. A little bit. And die in occasionally.

Tragic thing is, it isnt only videogames that do this shit. Its everywhere. Since when did Vampires become so mother FUCKING popular? This "TWILIGHT SAGA" bullshit just amazes me. So does that Miley Cyrus chick, and all the Disney robots that are just like her. After Flavor of Love, E V E R Y B O D Y has their own television show now. New movie coming out? I bet you 95% chance of all the big hollywood movies coming out was based off of either 1) a book, 2) a popular old comic/cartoon, 3) an older movie, with updated graphics. Where the hell did all the originality go? T_T

Entertainment in general saddens and scares me. I just really hope it'll change sometime soon. Im tired of everyone being so trendy. Im tired of everyone needing a slight alteration of the same fix.