PDA

View Full Version : School!

Volcompat321
Aug 5, 2010, 09:29 PM
So, after spending a few days at a fire department, I figured out what I'm going to do as a career!

I'm going to become a fireman, or paramedic!

First I'm volunteer firefighting, then they'll send me through the basics needed to become a firefighter!

Pretty neat!

Vanzazikon
Aug 5, 2010, 09:31 PM
That's awesome. Good luck, Pat.

Volcompat321
Aug 5, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks man!
I look forward to it!

NeonaPulsar
Aug 5, 2010, 10:08 PM
That is awesome!!! :D:D

Ketchup345
Aug 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
Nice.

A large percent of my college were fire majors, either administration or science.

By the sounds of it, many departments won't even hire unless you are at least an EMT, with bonuses (higher pay!) for Paramedics.

Volcompat321
Aug 5, 2010, 10:32 PM
Nice.

A large percent of my college were fire majors, either administration or science.

By the sounds of it, many departments won't even hire unless you are at least an EMT, with bonuses (higher pay!) for Paramedics.

Yea, you have to take the EMT school, and do your clinical training.
You need about 85 hours in a hospital or ambulance, and about 15 hours in an ER.

I was thinking, since I have to do the EMT anyway, take that while I'm volunteering, take Fire 1 through the department, (cause all volunteers have to have at least Fire 1 to be able to work there, and they pay for it! Or at least teach it there..)- Then if I decide I like the medical field more, I'll have the EMT already done, so paramedic school is next.
If I like the fire school more, then I'll just continue onto Fire 2, which is the hands on training, and less book work.

I've worked in the medical field before, at the mental health facility, so the EMT school should be a breeze.
I had to take patient's pulse, blood pressure, and EKG's.
Similar to an EMT. Though EMT has more work.

I think this is the best thing.
All together it's about $6,500, and about a year of my life. (not including paramedic school if I like that).

From the beginning of my life, it was either a Police officer or Firefighter, but now it may be Paramedic. Who knows.

I'll definitely keep everyone informed.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
Buy Third Watch on DVD now. You will enjoy it more now that you want a career in their field of television captured drama.

Season 1, old and cheap

Season 2, took forever to come out so long Amazon calls it 2009 when its season from 2000

-

School had a big cafeteria partitioned off, announcer guy was heard throughout though on the mic for Firefighter/EMT graduates.

He "can't promise they'll come back in one piece, but family, we will do everything we can to keep up to date training and make sure they're safe out in the field."

-

I also got a group of friends to try to play basketball at the local firehouse, ask if we could, they said its a liability you can't only them, but instead some nice dude walked us all throughout their setup. Had a gym indoors off to the side, showed us and put the bigass 80 lb equipment, oxygen tank - helmet full mask breather on each of us. Fun stuff.

Went back later to ask for how to get the schoolin' and stuff, person at door wasn't so nice. "King of the Hill" nicknamed dude probably long gone.

Girl at work, too hot ditzy miss, had a Fireman boyfriend who showed up before closing to take her home, and she ordered him around to clean windows and take out trash and such. :whip:

-

Walking the mall a year or two back she ran up and poked me right in the stomach. ARRRG - "what are you doing here?!" "Came back from school, gotta go taco bell, bout to close, eats. Later chic."

Gets away with a lot being the hotchix, I suppose. Stabby fingernails. ._.

Ketchup345
Aug 5, 2010, 10:40 PM
Plus firefighters are usually government jobs, so great benefits and job security there, most of the time at least.

Volcompat321
Aug 5, 2010, 10:54 PM
Haya, I've seen some of the show, but maybe I'll look into that.

Ketchup, yea, I was reading about everything, and there is job security, if you can find a job! lol

The local FD's around here are pretty much all booked up for at least 3 years, so it gives me time to get in there.
And if I wanted to relocate ever, it would have to be in Florida, due to different structures, and brush fire/whatever else in other states.

Also, the trainer guy said that Florida's schooling is easier, because they're not as tough with the training, and up north (say, Boston) it's harder to become a firefighter.
If I ever wanted to move back up north, I'd have to go through schooling if I were to fail their tests.

Being a paramedic, I can relocate nationally, because the tests are up to national standards.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 5, 2010, 11:57 PM
Maybe it'll prevent you from getting flamed all the time.

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2010, 12:12 AM
Maybe it'll prevent you from getting flamed all the time.

But...what if I like getting flamed all the time?
There's not many people that flame me.
Like 5 maybe.

Leviathan
Aug 6, 2010, 12:32 AM
But...what if I like getting flamed all the time?

Volcompat confirmed to be a flamer.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 6, 2010, 12:34 AM
Flamboast the whip. :fire: :whip:

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2010, 12:49 AM
Volcompat confirmed to be a flamer.

No, no...being flamed, and being a flamer are different. I'm 100% sure of it.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 6, 2010, 01:53 AM
No, no...being flamed, and being a flamer are different. I'm 100% sure of it.
Not in your case. ;)

AlexCraig
Aug 6, 2010, 03:06 AM
http://images.absoluteanime.com/tenchi_muyo/seiryo.jpg

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 6, 2010, 04:37 AM
Volcom need to report Alex, to--- Alex.

That's pink animu hair flaming and he doesn't have to take it!

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2010, 11:20 AM
Hahaha, you guys are great.

:wacko:

Outrider
Aug 6, 2010, 02:49 PM
Awesome. Best of luck.

I don't think I could be a firefighter because I have a fear of running into burning buildings.

Volcompat321
Aug 6, 2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks!
I'm sure I'm afraid of doing it too, but that's what the fire training is for. :D

But like I said, I may go the paramedic route.