PDA

View Full Version : acrotecher using melee weapons ????

PSUHero
Aug 6, 2010, 01:18 AM
i was testing out melee weponds on my acrotecter just for fun and some of the weponds were doing more damage then my tech. i was using single handed dagger and was hiting for 7k total with the pa move as my tech does half or a little less anyone elus try this out?:-o:-o:-o

SolomonGrundy
Aug 6, 2010, 01:32 AM
just attack makes most techs a losing proposition for most acrotechers. things will only get worse when rustarod comes out.

which is sad, becasue it means that the best race for AT is...beast

Gibdozer
Aug 6, 2010, 01:32 AM
Acrotecher is no slouch with daggers or whips, you won't be competing with FF, FM numbers but they can't cast techs. Equipping a good booster in your head slot, and maxing out your techs will help even out that weapon/tech damage a bit. On AT though a good % dagger will probably always out score your techs by a bit.

pikachief
Aug 6, 2010, 01:34 AM
when I paly AT I pretty much just use whips twin hand guns and daggers :P the spells arent all that great i just buff :P

PSUHero
Aug 6, 2010, 01:54 AM
thanks guys for the info i just could not belive that on my felmale newman that my dagger could do that much damage

PoopSama
Aug 6, 2010, 02:11 AM
i have a cast acrofighter 20 that i just changed to gunmaster that had a lot of maxed out danger photon arts so i gave them to my acrotecher newman female and i was surprised too.but my whip sucks lol it needs lvling.

SolomonGrundy
Aug 6, 2010, 12:08 PM
on multi hitbox enemies I find myself competing for damage with non jabraoga photon arts. I does compete with majarra (now that it is nerfed, lol)...but only in the GAMs. In the big bad world of regular missions, S rank spears with good percents tend to beat it.

Still though, whip is badass. Level 21+, here I come!

TheAstarion
Aug 6, 2010, 07:05 PM
Acrotecher has an awesome combination of best buffs, best debuffs, attack speed boost, and most of the best 1-handed weapons available. Sure they only have 20 in ranged and striking PAs but that just makes it so much easier to max them out!

Even CAST AT is amazing, a lv11+ Dambarta fills that SUV meter pretty fast, and Gi- techs at 31+ (through GAM) have status level 4.

Remember also that a lv20 Acrotecher has the same ATP as a level 1 Fortefighter, and only slightly less than what a Wartecher used to have before the Supdate. Sabers, Whip, Dagger, even Twinguns and Cards lay out major hurt. If you're sticking with your newman, a Lumirus / Kaos Knight wouldn't dent your ATA too badly, and would bring you up by 360 attack :D As long as you're not using the good old feril line or yiel-senba, that is.

Esther Reagan
Aug 7, 2010, 09:30 PM
I saw an acrotecher who actually never used magic minus buffs. They had a pallet of single handed weapons like whips, daggers and sabers in the right hand and Graldike's in the left. It was a female newman and she was doing some massive amounts of damage. She was capped and most of her weapons were 10/10 42-50% and her buffs/debuffs all lvl50. Her graldike's were hitting the enemies for 1000-1200 dmg per shot and it shoots 3 rapid shots per 3 seconds while she was detroying things with her weapons. I never thought I'd see a newman acrotecher out-strength my beast masterfighter lmao.
So basically what I'm saying is, acrotecher's are darn strong when used properly. Attack spells usually only exploit their weakness. That's why they are focused on support magic.

Hiero_Glyph
Aug 8, 2010, 08:18 AM
Acrotecher has an awesome combination of best buffs, best debuffs, attack speed boost, and most of the best 1-handed weapons available. Sure they only have 20 in ranged and striking PAs but that just makes it so much easier to max them out!

Even CAST AT is amazing, a lv11+ Dambarta fills that SUV meter pretty fast, and Gi- techs at 31+ (through GAM) have status level 4.

Remember also that a lv20 Acrotecher has the same ATP as a level 1 Fortefighter, and only slightly less than what a Wartecher used to have before the Supdate. Sabers, Whip, Dagger, even Twinguns and Cards lay out major hurt. If you're sticking with your newman, a Lumirus / Kaos Knight wouldn't dent your ATA too badly, and would bring you up by 360 attack :D As long as you're not using the good old feril line or yiel-senba, that is.

1) CASTs make the best ATs.
2) Debuffs are pointless in 99.9999% of all situtions.

Dragwind
Aug 8, 2010, 08:39 AM

I agree with that statement. I tried to explain as to why that is in a party last night, and I ended being told that "I didn't know anything, CAST AT sucks" and got booted. Heh.

Alex305!
Aug 8, 2010, 09:35 AM
I agree with that statement. I tried to explain as to why that is in a party last night, and I ended being told that "I didn't know anything, CAST AT sucks" and got booted. Heh.

360 version huh.... Very sad to hear. Image them playing an acrotecher using Attack techs. X3 This game is so easy yet so much players fail....

Megalo
Aug 8, 2010, 11:45 PM
I play a Beast Female Acrotecher and it seems to be working just fine. Yeah, no SUV but it doesn't matter as long as you have fun doing what you're doing.

unicorn
Aug 9, 2010, 12:11 AM
Whoever said AT was supposed to do mostly attack damage mustve been on something.

In PSO, FOmar and FOmarl were best played when utilizing melee. Although FOmar/l's attack techs were still awesome compared to how PSU generally treats attack teching outside of MF. In that sense, I think every type should have access to Limit Break, because it really makes attack teching useful.

Nonetheless, don't completely disregard attack techs. Acrotecher is still the 3rd best offensive teching type, and one of the only two with a speed boost.

If you haven't noticed with GAS/C, Gi-techs got buffed noticeably; specifically, faster casting speed, larger radius, higher attack%, and higher SE levels. In some cases, they would be better than whips since they don't cause blowaway and make missions painful for your party members.

Ra-techs get a 4th target at level 31, which is pretty good actually! Although GT and WT can potentially have 31+ techs too, AT is still faster and has access to S-rank TCSMs, which are generally the best casting weapons for Ra-techs, since you can practically stun-lock enemies with a TCSM.

There also aren't any linear weapons in the game outside Laser Cannons (and Spear's normal attacks, but people only spam PAs that normal attacks don't matter) so your best bet for enemies lined up is Zonde/Barta/Megid. Megid is generally the best and awesomesauce.

Nosdiga/Foie/Diga are great single target techs for melee resistant enemies (but Dagger/Saber are generally better).

Damtechs are useful for SUVs! :B

Regrants is RARELY/OCCASIONALLY incredibly useful. Like Big Push.

Outside all that, just spam Dagger/Saber/Whip/Twin Dagger/Card. AT is undoubtedly one of the easiest types to master, since the PA caps are small and what you generally use for AT levels up incredibly quick anyway.

CAST and Human are the best. CAST has broken SUVs, but Humans have MUUUUUUCH better stats with GAS. Without GAS, CASTs only have like 50ish more ATP, which is nothing....when GAS is considered, Humans have practically twice the amount of total AP to use in base stats, weapons, etc, so they WILL do more damage with customization.

PoopSama
Aug 9, 2010, 12:27 AM

i have been hearing stuff like that too.people should just play the game any way that choose.im getting sick of all the racism in the game too.i play as my cast i get kicked i play as my beast i get kicked and my newman is expected to heal constantly and buff or i get kicked... sorry i just needed to vent lol

SolomonGrundy
Aug 9, 2010, 01:17 AM
its sad that MF tech damage >> fT daamge >>>>> AT damage.

why SEGA did this I have no idea.

bloodflowers
Aug 9, 2010, 07:47 AM
Whoever said AT was supposed to do mostly attack damage mustve been on something.

It's pretty simple - the main use of the class is light melee and support. Attack techs cause slowdown, there is no reason to use them unless you're going to do excellent damage or you have no other effective option. Since the two best races for AT both have lamentable TP, there's rarely a case where a tech will do excellent damage. Since even a Newman with striking weapons will outdamage their techs, there's no reason for them to use them either, or indeed to be AT in the first place when MF would be more suitable.

Each to their own/etc - I had a CAST Fortetecher once - but the above is how things work if you're "doing it right".

AT is undoubtedly one of the easiest types to master, since the PA caps are small and what you generally use for AT levels up incredibly quick anyway.

Easy to level up (although bear in mind it's impossible to equip all AT usable PAs at once, not even close), mastering is something different.

Without GAS, CASTs only have like 50ish more ATP, which is nothing....when GAS is considered, Humans have practically twice the amount of total AP to use in base stats, weapons, etc, so they WILL do more damage with customization.

F CAST: 1706
F HUMAN: 1626

F CAST with maxed GAS ATP: 1856
F HUMAN with maxed GAS ATP: 1776

You forgot that they can both easily max out the ATP boost with available allocation. This leaves only useless stats available, the human should probably throw the spares on TP, ATA and HP to even the gap. TP obviously is already much higher, but as discussed generally not used since even a Newman is better off with striking weapons.

So as well as more balanced evasion (evades a lot, but not so much that most attacks are cancelled) and higher ATP, the CAST also gets to use fun things, like Ares Espada.

Of course, what I haven't factored in is that humans get to upgrade more skill levels - and this might even be enough to compensate for the lost 80 ATP, but they'll have to put in massive amounts of extra time and effort achieving it, and still won't have SUV ability.

They do get better clothes though.

unicorn
Aug 9, 2010, 10:40 AM
It's pretty simple - the main use of the class is light melee and support. Attack techs cause slowdown, there is no reason to use them unless you're going to do excellent damage or you have no other effective option. Since the two best races for AT both have lamentable TP, there's rarely a case where a tech will do excellent damage. Since even a Newman with striking weapons will outdamage their techs, there's no reason for them to use them either, or indeed to be AT in the first place when MF would be more suitable.

Each to their own/etc - I had a CAST Fortetecher once - but the above is how things work if you're "doing it right".

Easy to level up (although bear in mind it's impossible to equip all AT usable PAs at once, not even close), mastering is something different.

F CAST: 1706
F HUMAN: 1626

F CAST with maxed GAS ATP: 1956
F HUMAN with maxed GAS ATP: 1876

You forgot that they can both easily max out the ATP boost with available allocation. This leaves only useless stats available, the human should probably throw the spares on TP, ATA and HP to even the gap. TP obviously is already much higher, but as discussed generally not used since even a Newman is better off with striking weapons.

So as well as more balanced evasion (evades a lot, but not so much that most attacks are cancelled) and higher ATP, the CAST also gets to use fun things, like Ares Espada.

Of course, what I haven't factored in is that humans get to upgrade more skill levels - and this might even be enough to compensate for the lost 80 ATP, but they'll have to put in massive amounts of extra time and effort achieving it, and still won't have SUV ability.

They do get better clothes though.

So basically almost everything I said! XP

SolomonGrundy
Aug 9, 2010, 01:55 PM
the only thing missing is SE. For a long long time I have been using damfoie to hit 4-5 enemies with burn 3, which tics fast enough to be useful, as opposed to virus, which tends not to. With gi-tech recently buffed, I am evaluating whether to switch to gi-techs for this purpose, as the apply rate should be close, and the burn with GAS should be burn 4...

Zarode
Aug 9, 2010, 02:08 PM
Can't cast resta when you are busy flying in the air usually makes this argument null. There to support, not damage.

SolomonGrundy
Aug 9, 2010, 02:22 PM
Can't cast resta when you are busy flying in the air usually makes this argument null. There to support, not damage.

*boot*

how's that for support?

pikachief
Aug 9, 2010, 03:07 PM
oh are you one of those people who will boot others because you dont like the way they play their game? :P

They're a support class, meant for support. Not Damage.

SE's would be nice, if there was a GAS option for AT's to increase thier SE level by 1 on all their spells that would be nice. or even something like 50% increase chance on applying SE for AT only :P

SolomonGrundy
Aug 9, 2010, 03:23 PM
oh are you one of those people who will boot others because you dont like the way they play their game? :P

They're a support class, meant for support. Not Damage.

SE's would be nice, if there was a GAS option for AT's to increase thier SE level by 1 on all their spells that would be nice. or even something like 50% increase chance on applying SE for AT only :P

PSO required support to beat missions effectively.
PSU does not

I agree buffing is helpful and should be done. Debuffs, though not particularly needed, help ME tag, and if you want my support, I want some XP...and then AEXP...

Therefore, if you are expecting me to heal you, rather than pop a dimate/trimate/star atomizer then
a. I assume you are not competent OR
b. I assume you feel entitled to playing a certain way at the expense of my play enjoyment OR
c. I assume you are cheap and don't want to spend the meseta on these items (I have even seen argument break out over star atmoizer use?!)

Some of this I am willing to tolerate...except B...b really rubs me the wrong way. Dunno why. Maybe because I recall PSO where support was deemed important, and players were quite grateful to a support player, where outside of GAM, support is scoffed.

Yuicihi
Aug 9, 2010, 04:24 PM
Most of the random ATs I find hanging about take buffing much too seriously. I've had them try to buff in front of bosses, even. It's a very nice thing to do and all, but it can wait until we defeat this mob of minor enemies, thank you.

As for healing, it's appreciated, but I don't expect you to go out of your way to do it. More often than not, I'll either pop a mate, or if the damage's light enough, switch over to a weapon with HP steal.

Of course, I tend to prefer that my party's causing damage. PSU doesn't lend itself to requiring support quite like other online RPGs do.

Proto07
Aug 9, 2010, 04:51 PM

I debuff a lot to lvl. In full parties enemies drop fast, especially after buffing the team heh, and it leaves me with very little time to tag creatures for exp. Debuffs are fast and have range.

I also have a CAST AT. :)

Edit: Can support techs go past lvl 50 through GAM?

xJACKTHERIPPERx
Aug 9, 2010, 05:30 PM
i like being an AT, i pretty much just use TECHNICs for dmg between healing/buffing/debuffing, dont really use melee much. but i cant see just buffing and healing then just standing there after tagging enemies. i like healing and keeping the party going. i cant stand when other ppl stop the party and have everyone gather round to buff. its not that hard to tag a group then buff everyone while there killing and whatnot

Zarode
Aug 9, 2010, 05:35 PM
*boot*

how's that for support?

Cute, kicking the only Acrotecher in the party does tend to stop ALL SUPPORT.

That's right, I play an Acrotecher. Heal, dumbasses, its not hard to do.

pikachief
Aug 9, 2010, 06:27 PM
PSO required support to beat missions effectively.
PSU does not

I never really played PSO too much but im pretty sure PSO also required more than 1 person to beat missions effectivly. Support is not required in ANY game to progress, but it is always very nice to have and helpful :)

SolomonGrundy
Aug 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
I never really played PSO too much but im pretty sure PSO also required more than 1 person to beat missions effectivly. Support is not required in ANY game to progress, but it is always very nice to have and helpful :)

Nope. Note even online. HuCAST/Caseal, RaCAST, RaMar are all capable of soloing most missions online, expcet ruins at level 120-140, depending on class/Sec ID. Earlier for HU/Redria, later for RAs

Heck, at level 150x I was using an +% experience crossbow in Forest to get levels/pass the time while I was waiting for friends with My RaCAST. At level 170 I was doing some of the EP2 missions (my low ATA was somewhat offset by new toy: a spread needle with 20% hit)

However, there were many missions that DID require FO support, or RaMarl/HUnewearl support if that's all you had. The enemy waves missions (6-10 Bringer's anyone?) REALLY were better with FO.

Bosses could be debuffed!

bloodflowers
Aug 13, 2010, 10:55 AM
Most of the random ATs I find hanging about take buffing much too seriously. I've had them try to buff in front of bosses, even. It's a very nice thing to do and all, but it can wait until we defeat this mob of minor enemies, thank you.

If they're minor enemies the AT won't need to be putting damage on them most likely, so a buff refresh is a valid thing to do as it 1) makes everyone stronger, and 2) doesn't mean they have to stop.

Of course there's also an interesting perspective to consider: If someone hits a spawn with Jabroga for 8000s instead of 7500s due to L41 Shifta vs Megistaride (the gap may very well be more), that 10x500 damage should be attributed to the Acrotecher. If a laser lands 20 hits on some spawns of enemies for 100 extra, thats 20x100 damage which belongs to the Acrotecher. Add it all up across the party - including the direct damage the AT should be doing if they're playing properly, and actually they're not so far behind in some cases.

That doesn't even count the other positives - greater tech output from MFs, fewer zeros for fighters, increased resiliency allowing people to stand in harms way and ignore it, etc.

BIG OLAF
Aug 13, 2010, 11:04 AM
Heal, dumbasses, its not hard to do.

This.

Why wouldn't someone want to heal other players in the party when they're playing the class that's 90% focused on buffing and healing?

So, yes, I do expect to be healed when there's an Acrotecher in the party. Why would someone choose to play an AT if they had little to no interest in healing? That's half the damned point of the whole class.

I mean, shit, when my friends play on their ATs, they heal me before I even realize I lost any health, and Reverser me before I even notice I've been status effected. Maybe that's spoiled me? I don't know. :-?

bloodflowers
Aug 13, 2010, 11:55 AM
the class that's 90% focused on buffing and healing?

NO NO NO NO NO. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

It's about 10% buff/heal and 90% attack.

Why? Buffing takes no time at all - twice per run in most cases. Giresta leads to a dramatic reduction in the need to heal, which leaves us mostly with Reversa. Reversa takes about a second to cast, or SHOCK maybe as many as 4-5 seconds if the AT is mid-PA, but a good one will pack sols and stars anyway and hit you mid-PA if you're close enough.

The above does not take 90% of your time as an AT, it takes about 10% - and that's at the higher end. A very important 10%, but it's just not going to occupy anyone for the entirety of a run.

Shou
Aug 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
The best AT would keep the party buffed without making the party stop. Healing with resta and reverser, although quick, is still a waste of time. The best AT would only use resta or reverser if he/she would affect multiple teammates in one cast and would do so only at a time when he/she could not be doing damage to enemies. If a player dies, like a masterforce for example, the best AT would only give the masterforce the ratier buff unless the entire party was due for another round of buffs. PSU, in at least 95% of the missions, allows each player to hold 20 Trimate, 20 Dimate, 10 Star Atomizers and 20 Sol Atomizers. Nobody needs a healer. The best AT would use a Sol Atomizer to aid a teammate instead of reverser because its much faster and does not take up pallet space. There are only some instances when reverser would be better because a teammate is far away and stunned, frozen or asleep but that shouldn't happen very often because of resist units.

bloodflowers
Aug 13, 2010, 12:23 PM
The best AT would keep the party buffed without making the party stop. Healing with resta and reverser, although quick, is still a waste of time. The best AT would only use resta or reverser if he/she would affect multiple teammates in one cast and would do so only at a time when he/she could not be doing damage to enemies. If a player dies, like a masterforce for example, the best AT would only give the masterforce the ratier buff unless the entire party was due for another round of buffs. PSU, in at least 95% of the missions, allows each player to hold 20 Trimate, 20 Dimate, 10 Star Atomizers and 20 Sol Atomizers. Nobody needs a healer. The best AT would use a Sol Atomizer to aid a teammate instead of reverser because its much faster and does not take up pallet space. There are only some instances when reverser would be better because a teammate is far away and stunned, frozen or asleep but that shouldn't happen very often because of resist units.

You win an entire box of cookies!

BIG OLAF
Aug 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
The best AT would keep the party buffed without making the party stop. Healing with resta and reverser, although quick, is still a waste of time. The best AT would only use resta or reverser if he/she would affect multiple teammates in one cast and would do so only at a time when he/she could not be doing damage to enemies. If a player dies, like a masterforce for example, the best AT would only give the masterforce the Retier buff unless the entire party was due for another round of buffs. PSU, in at least 95% of the missions, allows each player to hold 20 Trimate, 20 Dimate, 10 Star Atomizers and 20 Sol Atomizers. Nobody needs a healer. The best AT would use a Sol Atomizer to aid a teammate instead of reverser because its much faster and does not take up pallet space. There are only some instances when reverser would be better because a teammate is far away and stunned, frozen or asleep but that shouldn't happen very often because of resist units.

Oh, I see now. I'll let my friends know. Thanks for the tips.

SolomonGrundy
Aug 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
In the DT/R mission, I usally have deband handy. The biggest threat seems to be getting zalured by a Bil de Vear, followed by a smack by a sworded Bil de Vear. So I spent a lot of these missions doing no damage, just casting jellen, and recasting deband.

As to WHY I play Acrotecher? Because I was looking to recreate HUnewearl in PSO (not FOmarl). I used to play Wartecher, but when I looked at what was needed to make techs do real damage when I need them to (like HUnewearl in PSO Mines), AT was the winner

Maybe I'll go back to Wartecher at some point, but I feel like a lot of my gear is aT focused (s rank whips, s rank tech mags, a most expensively, a collection of decent % Stormlines. Also people want to have an AT in the party, WT...not so much

bloodflowers
Aug 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
Alternative DTR approach:

Dagger, Hikai. Use part 2 when Vandas are around, using it to throw them away inbetween part 1 on the Bil, or when 2 Bils are close enough that you can pull part 2 off against them both - not hugely useful against a single one so stick to part 1 there. Wear a decent ground armour and they won't hurt you too much - although you may need to deband allies if they're not terribly good ones.

SolomonGrundy
Aug 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
I am only concerned with debanding allies, I have good armor, and a stun resist. My allies sometimes do not, and I cannot reverser them.

Also, I find myself usign gravity strike more than Hikai. The attack modifier is lower, but the ATP is much higher (and GRM sabers have very low equip requirements). I only have 218ATP @ level 20