PDA

View Full Version : Joss Whedon directing the avengers movie

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Aug 31, 2010, 10:02 PM
so yah, this is old news, but this is FKL, and i can say im pretty HUGELY excited! anybody else happy or even care?

Outrider
Sep 1, 2010, 12:04 AM
I think regardless of who was going to direct it, this has a hell of a good chance that it's going to wind up as a bloated mess. So many characters (from so many wildly different settings) portrayed by so many stars that need screen time, mixed with the fact that this has to link up not just the characters but also their specific films. There's a lot that could go wrong.

Also, Jon Favreau had wanted to direct this, but Marvel screwed him over by meddling with Iron Man 2, so that kind of sucks. Rumors are that he's also going to be gone from Iron Man 3 as well.

Now, as for Joss Whedon, I see both the bad and the good.

The bad part is that Whedon loves to rely on gimmicky dialogue and shock value scenes for many of his stories. (Name one Whedon finale where there isn't a random or completely out-of-character death of a main character.)

The good part is that he can also write incredibly heartfelt, clever stories when he's on his game.

My hope is that the Avengers will be great, but the more I think about the massive ordeal it's development will be, the more I begin to worry.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 5, 2010, 07:53 AM
(not in hostility) why would you say his dialouge is "gimmicky"? do you mean when he uses words he makes up for his characters like shiny?

and about a lot of characters, i think that will be able to be used pretty well, but having some of them be somewhat "big" actors, greed might hurt this movie a bit. but yah Joss can really work a story.

joefro
Sep 5, 2010, 10:56 AM
I have no desire to see this anymore.
[spoiler-box]No Ed Norton = FFFFUUUU-[/spoiler-box]

Nitro Vordex
Sep 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Iron Man + Michael Bay=

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WJOyqmg_gpc/S9UU1vvc_6I/AAAAAAAACl0/Sl5Ti5vgz3g/s1600/terry2010twins.jpg

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 6, 2010, 12:29 PM
wait, michael bay didnt make iron man did he?

Sord
Sep 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
No, that was some dude named Jon Fraveau or something.

On that note, someone please shoot Michael Bay already.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 6, 2010, 09:09 PM
transformers 2 was really stupid, but it was still quite entertaining i thot, and transformers 1 was really good, i havent seen his other stuff

AC9breaker
Sep 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have no desire to see this anymore.
[spoiler-box]No Ed Norton = FFFFUUUU-[/spoiler-box]
This.

Sord
Sep 6, 2010, 09:26 PM
transformers 2 was really stupid, but it was still quite entertaining i thot, and transformers 1 was really good, i havent seen his other stuff

I felt all the entertaining parts: action, cool CGI, a couple tie-in quotes, etc. all could have been handled equally well by some other director, even one of possibly less repute. The unentertaining parts: lame story (robot fucking heaven, are you shitting me?,) dialogue, shitty jokes, substituting sexy for an actually likeable character (couldn't even go for both) could have been avoided all together with another director (or alternatively made much worse or equal, but there is still good chance of betterment.)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
This.
Joss Whedon is a Hulk Racist?!

F dat dude then. Tell em with the DHYLAW stick.

Shinkiro drawn Hulk face, go get that bastard.

Outrider
Sep 7, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not talking about "shiny" or the use of Chinese swear words in Firefly.

Every work written by Joss Whedon has at least one cute little quirky conversation where you have the characters start talking completely out of character because IT'S SO COOL TO SEE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE ACTUALLY NEUROTIC LITTLE GEEKS LIKE THE AUDIENCE.

And then there's the fact that half of his characters are written with the same voice - his voice.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 7, 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm not talking about "shiny" or the use of Chinese swear words in Firefly.

Every work written by Joss Whedon has at least one cute little quirky conversation where you have the characters start talking completely out of character because IT'S SO COOL TO SEE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE ACTUALLY NEUROTIC LITTLE GEEKS LIKE THE AUDIENCE.

And then there's the fact that half of his characters are written with the same voice - his voice.

well, i dont remember anything ive seen by him having out of character scenes, the neurotic geeky lines are said by the neurotic geeky people (AKA Xander in buffy) and, hes characters have always seemed different from eachother to me.

Sord
Sep 7, 2010, 04:10 PM
This is mah gun, I love her. I want to trade it for your wife.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 7, 2010, 04:15 PM
yah, jane had tendancys toward those kind of things

Outrider
Sep 7, 2010, 04:18 PM
It's significantly more noticeable when he's writing characters that have been created by other people. As fun as it was, his run on Astonishing X-Men is a great example of this.

Sord
Sep 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
That scene kinda made me crack up a bit. Jayne's brash absurdity was kind of amusing.

ough, X-men. To many damn branch off for me to even want to follow.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
Have any of you guys seen the episode of Joss whedon's show angel, Smile Time

Sord
Sep 7, 2010, 04:35 PM
Never even heard of it. Actually I've never really watched Buffy much either, very very vague memories from when it was running way back during it's first few seasons. I only saw Firefly because my friends own it on DVD, and they were watching it one day and I just stopped walking through the living room and paid attention to it. I wound up liking it, and after a couple weeks I had watched all the episodes that were released.

Palle
Sep 8, 2010, 10:28 PM
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7291/440pxvision442.jpg

Joss Whedon makes androids cry?