PDA

View Full Version : worth getting into this late?

Eclipsed57
Sep 6, 2010, 06:31 AM
I recently have been on a PSO kick after hearing about PSP2 coming out and playing the demo and its making me want to try PSU. is it worth getting into now, is the economy really bad? (is there an economy?) how would you rate the playerbase, is there an obnoxious amount of annoying kids? are these servers gonna be around cause you know sega likes to close US servers even when people still want to play

TenebriS
Sep 6, 2010, 07:00 AM
Don't think they wil be closed very soon, but wouldnt say they stay totally long, but at least i guess a year or two more for sure, since they did GAC, if they would close it in near future they wouldnt have done so much work xD

neilp4453
Sep 6, 2010, 09:29 AM
On the 360 servers I'm expecting a lot of the content JP PSU has gotten so far. The PC servers closed because of the lack of a robust population. We aren't suffering from this on the 360.

The Advanced Guardians content has brought back a lot of players and it increases the grind of the game. While not the most fun imo, it allows players to not "finish" so easily which was the biggest problem for many players.

There are some kids here and there...but most people seem to be teenagers or older.

TenebriS
Sep 6, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hehe, to how old the people are i cant say, but the ones got back left for a reason, they was bored so you dont know yet if all of them stay, but i think the xbox servers have a positive future, the reason why they get closed will be for sure one day that segac is just to bored of updating it XDDD
(SoA is a lazy bunch of people^^)

milranduil
Sep 6, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hehe, to how old the people are i cant say, but the ones got back left for a reason, they was bored so you dont know yet if all of them stay, but i think the xbox servers have a positive future, the reason why they get closed will be for sure one day that segac is just to bored of updating it XDDD
(SoA is a lazy bunch of people^^)

Yes because SoA has complete control of what happens to US PSU lololololol.

Tetsaru
Sep 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
From what I've read around here, a lot of people say PSPo2 is a lot better than PSU, although I don't have a PSP, so I wouldn't know. Also, the Tokyo Game Show is coming up in 10 days, and there's rumor going around that there might be a new game announcement in regards to PSO's 10th anniversary, although it might just be for the PSPo2: Infinity game we recently heard about, so who knows.

If I were you, I'd wait until after the Tokyo Game Show (Sept. 16-19) passes to see if there's anything new, otherwise here are your options:

- get PSPo2 when it comes out in the US/Europe on Sept. 14th, which would probably be the most enjoyable game, albeit on a handheld system

- import PSPo2: Infinity when it comes out in Japan

- get PSZ for DS for a more PSO-like experience, but probably have trouble finding people online to play with (I don't play it anymore, sorry ^^; )

- get PSU for 360 and see if you like it, and deal with Sega/Sonic Team/Microsoft bullshit later on

- join PSU's JP servers, have access to more content or play for free with limitations, but feel a bit alienated (unless you know the language or find other English-speaking players)

- look into PSU private servers, which unfortunately we are not allowed to discuss in detail on these forums

MadDogg
Sep 6, 2010, 12:13 PM
As a long time player that played on and off since 2006 on 360 PSU, and as someone that owns a PSP and plans on getting portable 2 on day 1, I would say no, the 360 version or any console version is not worth playing in comparison to portable 2.

Seriously, portable 2 is that much better than the console versions, so I would just play the version that is free until sega announces a new console phantasy star game. And even if you did decide to try the 360 version, you will be playing the exact same mission, white beast, all damn year long. White beast is part of the combination of reasons I quit (community sticks to one mission, the lobby system is stupid for finding parties, updates is slack etc.)

Ishia
Sep 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
I love ignorance. There are more people doing other missions than White Beast now.

darkante
Sep 6, 2010, 01:16 PM
Personally, PSP:2 is alot greater then the Xbox PSU.

The little i tried on JP version has set my mind straight, it improves on everything.
Added block and rolling dodge makes it more alive and spamming power arts is a no-no with the chain system so itīs not just a spam feast.

TenebriS
Sep 6, 2010, 02:41 PM
I dont really think PS:Po2 is a choice.
Compared to PSU its an other game, the gameplay got changed a lot, i mean it is now a mix of PSO and PSU, which i personally can't stand.
PS:Po2 is something to play a lil, but the online mode on this game is totally uninteresting, if you like PSU cuz its PSU and don't wish back PSO, you should stay at PSU, whichever version you prefer, XBOX or JP.

Personally i prefer the real game of the Handheld version, the Full game gives me what i want, the Handheld doesnt, get your infos about both versions and see what you prefer, both of them have their positive sides. It depends on what you wanna do and which gameplay fits you.

if you think PSU is like PS:Po2 you're wrong. There are for example no chains, and photon arts have to be leveled yourself, not be found.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 6, 2010, 04:09 PM
well I say, the more the merrier on PSU

MadDogg
Sep 6, 2010, 05:14 PM
I love ignorance. There are more people doing other missions than White Beast now.

Spare me. I've been around during the boost roads and all the events, the community will play at the event spots for probably a week or 2 at the most, unless the event has 2 times exp/job exp they will stay at the spot until the event ends, other than that the community goes right back to nub beast. I've been playing since october 26th of 2006 and recently quit around march of this year, I know what the deal is already.

Portable 2 is better than PSU in every way possible, a nice neat list when you search for parties so you want have to worry about going lobby to lobby just to find a game. You don't have to waste your time grinding techs, just find a disk like the good ol' days of pso and be done with it. Chaining actually makes the party work together for maximum damage instead of mindlessly spamming photon arts, tons of rares that actually look like rares with special abilities like pso (ex. the classic double saber having HP drain in portable 2), CHALLENGE MODE, its like......why waste your money playing an inferior version that is like what, 2 years behind on updates when you can play a better version of the game which gameplay craps all over the console version in any way you can think of.

As a fellow lover of anything phantasy star, I'm just trying to be real with you. I wouldn't want to see you waste 8.99 a month on a game in which you might be disappointed when you actually get on. If you understand japanese then sure, maybe you can check out the japanese PSU on PC to see what you think, but even then the gameplay in portable 2 is so above that of regular PSU I still would recommend it anyway.

Ishia
Sep 6, 2010, 05:46 PM
Its been almost 6 months since you've quit, how could you possibly say that?

I have no intentions of ever owning a PSP, so PSP2 is out of the question.

I did try JP PSU via Free Course, during MAX. Free Course is terrible.

TenebriS
Sep 6, 2010, 06:25 PM

Yeah, free curse suck at much stuff, but there is always the way to get premium, yanno....

Ishia
Sep 6, 2010, 06:57 PM
Too much of a hassle, and not a fan of Guardian's Cash, at all.

DragonForce
Sep 6, 2010, 08:07 PM
At this point, the game's not really any fun unless there's an event going on.

Xenobia
Sep 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
:D Looks like the guardians cash is an attempt to milk the cow even more. Just offering valuable stuff and here we go. Isnt so enjoyable however, i still pay more on Xbox than on PC including GC.

Eclipsed57
Sep 6, 2010, 11:30 PM
well i totally agree on PSP2 being superior. i broke down and bought PSU anyway today since its only 20$ and im playing it now, only level 7 but man the lobby system is just awful. it seems like they went out of their way to make it hard to find people to party with , especially since im low level and most people are higher now.

i really do like that im playing on my 40" lcd in HD though but the gameplay in PSP2 is a lot more fun i think.

so anyone wanna play with a lvl 7 hunter =p

MadDogg
Sep 9, 2010, 01:30 PM

Sucks to hear you won't consider getting a PSP, but my posts is only for the topic creator and trying to help him out, not anyone else =P If he happens to own a PSP I'm giving him the heads up on what to expect.

Its because that I played with the 360 community so long that I know they are all still nubbing it up at white beast. Since the game released there was always that one hotspot people spammed because it gave the best exp/job points payout with the quickest completion time possible. The average 360 PSU player hates difficulty, they rather take the quick and easy way for money/exp than the hard yet fun way with more possible rares in another mission.

If a person has a perfectly able psp, I'm just trying to help them out instead of setting them up for pure disappointment.

Now, I cannot guarantee that there will not be a hotspot in portable 2. BUT what I can say is that finding a run for whatever you want will be extremely easy since every party in the game will be in a nice big list for you to see, and you can specifically search for which planet/run/and whether you want the run to be relaxed or technical. You can also specify whether you want to do a party run like bruce's dungeon, or just a regular free mission run, its a great system.

MadDogg
Sep 9, 2010, 01:45 PM
well i totally agree on PSP2 being superior. i broke down and bought PSU anyway today since its only 20$ and im playing it now, only level 7 but man the lobby system is just awful. it seems like they went out of their way to make it hard to find people to party with , especially since im low level and most people are higher now.

i really do like that im playing on my 40" lcd in HD though but the gameplay in PSP2 is a lot more fun i think.

so anyone wanna play with a lvl 7 hunter =p

Yep, I can't stand the lobby system myself. Big ol' lobbies full of nothing is what they are. I do admit, I will miss playing on my 37 inch on 360 PSU, but psp2 is so much better I will get over it.

Anyway, to find the entire 360 community, go to neudaiz, then to the temple of air. Beat the first mission so you can get to the second floor then bam, the entire community is there. It doesn't matter if you are level 1 or what, you should be able to find parties at any level range there. Get used to that place because you will be there for ages until you can start solo'ing other missions yourself.