PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 What should have been done with PSU PC/PS2

Bupon
Sep 7, 2010, 07:48 PM
I don't know if anything like this has been posted before, if it has please delete this post. When the PC/PS2 severs where shut down, all the characters should have been moved over to the JP severs. After this was done players should have the option of playing on the JP severs on their old characters. Along with this transformation the JP game should have came out with an update that would allow players to play the game in English. Yes there would be some new things to translate but most of the text is already in the English version of the game. After that a basic auto translate feature like the translator in FFXI, just basic words and ability's. Now I know that there are still problems like the search feature and billing. Doesn't this seem like a great ideal over all? We are seeing more people then ever joining the JP severs now and I'm sure a lot more would if basic changes were made. I think the cost of the changes would bring in far more money then it would cost to do them. It would make the game better for all. A lot more people to play with, people would be on 24/7 and the economy would be booming. Please post what you think.

Tyreek
Sep 7, 2010, 09:30 PM
While an interesting idea as it is, it in turn would be no fair to the 360 players as well. They would have ended up just as equally behind as they are already. I think the better option would have been to move the PC/PS2 players to 360 with the rest of the US/EU playerbase. But we know how unlikely that pipe dream was.

Bupon
Sep 7, 2010, 09:45 PM
It would be far more difficult to make the game cross platform like that.

Tyreek
Sep 7, 2010, 10:12 PM
Lets look at it this way. Say the PC/PS2 players could convert to the JP servers. Where does that leave the 360 players? They'll feel cheated. They don't have what the JP servers have, but the PC/PS2 players can now experience fully what the JP servers got, without consequence. It in turn will reflect as badly on SEGA as their decision to just cut everybody on the PC/PS2 server. Then the 360 players will follow suit and quit in droves as well for seeing the treatment going on with the other players. Don't take this as bashing on your idea, but I'm seeing this in a realistic point of view. You see where I'm going with this?

beatrixkiddo
Sep 7, 2010, 10:13 PM
Nuke it from orbit.

unicorn
Sep 7, 2010, 10:19 PM
It should have not shut down the servers and promoted the shiz out of PSU on RPG sites with banners and stuff and should have offered free course AND a demo version. The client should be free download as well.

If not, then they should have just gave them the option of playing on 360.

DreXxiN
Sep 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
it in turn would be no fair to the 360 players as well.

If you have a decent gaming PC, everything is already "no fair" for 360 gamers.

str898mustang
Sep 7, 2010, 10:35 PM
just learn to read japanese.
Yes the PC/PS2'ers had t start over, oh well I'm fine with it.

Btw, I'm a former PC/PS2 player too and I'm playing on the better serv...i mean Japanese server.

Freshellent
Sep 8, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes the PC/PS2'ers had t start over, oh well I'm fine with it.

Btw, I'm a former PC/PS2 player too and I'm playing on the better serv...i mean Japanese server.

That's cold blooded man. Despite all the bullchit, I had a blast on the US servers.

IMO, the only thing that would have saved the servers would have been in SEGA could have acted and actually prevented the hacking right when it started. There was a time where you had to fight to get into Uni1&2.

Had to stand at the cube and click over... and over.

Yeah, we just needed support. Paying money to a company that couldn't take care of the player base doesn't go over so well. I could have delt with the drip content if it ment that I didn't have to worry about some jackass in a rappy suit busting into my locked room and nuking the chit out of my PM.

Tetsaru
Sep 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
In the end, PSU was just full of stupid decision-making by Sega/Sonic Team. Had they not split the servers in the first place and made it to where all regions and consoles could play together from the get-go on equal playing fields, they wouldn't have had to shut anything down due to population issues, and we wouldn't have to complain about how Japan is constantly a year ahead of us in game content.

I know I keep bringing this up but hell, Square-Enix was able to get 360 players to play alongside PC and PS2 players on FF11, as well as all regions (an auto-translate feature was implemented, as Bupon said). And if you look at this wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ff11), you'll see that although FF11 came out in 2003, the 360 version came out in April of 2006, a few months before PSU was released (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Universe). Since both FF13 and PSU were available for the SAME consoles, and as much as Sonic Team likes to rush their releases lately, I feel that they should've been able to work out a similar agreement with Microsoft.

Of course, for... *ahem* certain knowledgeable PC/PS2 players, losing your character data wasn't a problem... buuuuut I'm not allowed to discuss that in detail here unfortunately, because of herp-derp reasons. :disapprove:

Khorian
Sep 8, 2010, 03:12 PM
I think it's STUPID that the JP servers got so much of what the US/EU servers didn't in the first place! If they had properly supported the PS2/PC servers on the US side and actively combated the hacking and duping and had REAL Game Masters working and actively fixing problems, this would be a non-issue. I've played several MMOs and to be honest it's atrocious the way Sonic Team does business. Even FREE MMO games from Aria have more dedicated Game Masters, but again, it was probably all the cocaine and expensive women that would make a company have such a lame excuse for a business model.

The PS2/PC servers were neglected worse than all the starving children on this planet combined. To make any suggestion about the fate of the PS2/PC servers, no matter how bad, would be to exhibit an intelligence that not ONE of the programmers seem to possess. I still wait for the full moon to scream my character's name into the crisp, cool night in her memory. T_T

Totally didn't see the post above mine before ranting. I couldn't have said it better myself.

The Daltony
Sep 8, 2010, 03:20 PM
...i mean Japanese server.

Yeah, but you're still playing PSU. Doesn't matter which version it, now that PSP2 (and some time in the future, Infinity) will be everything PSU should have been.

Hate to break it to you.

A2K
Sep 8, 2010, 04:02 PM
... PSP2 ... will be everything PSU should have been.

You know, I distinctly recall people using that exact phrase with Ambition of the Illuminus.

In my opinion Phantasy Star Portable 2 is the latest and overall greatest iteration so far, but people have this tendency to casually brush aside the fact that the PSP games wouldn't have happened without PSU, flaws and all, as a base. Remove that and away goes most of PSP2's content.

str898mustang
Sep 8, 2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, but you're still playing PSU. Doesn't matter which version it, now that PSP2 (and some time in the future, Infinity) will be everything PSU should have been.

Hate to break it to you.

sorry but I dont play on 3 inch screens.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 8, 2010, 04:30 PM

agreed, and not after burning through 3 PSP systems, not worth another cent imo
hardware failures suck tho cant be avoided in any system :cry:

The Daltony
Sep 8, 2010, 04:42 PM
You know, I distinctly recall people using that exact phrase with Ambition of the Illuminus.

In my opinion Phantasy Star Portable 2 is the latest and overall greatest iteration so far, but people have this tendency to casually brush aside the fact that the PSP games wouldn't have happened without PSU, flaws and all, as a base. Remove that and away goes most of PSP2's content.

Except the changes to the system like charge shots and shields (among other things) were never announced for AotI. So I dunno, it's got more to it then AotI did but that's just me.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/Ed_Lolington/Dealwithit.gif?t=1283981921

A2K
Sep 8, 2010, 04:48 PM
Except the changes to the system like charge shots and shields (among other things) were never announced for AotI. So I dunno, it's got more to it then AotI did but that's just me.

Exact Attacks and Counters were the major combat change, and the new weapon categories then were Slicers, Whips, RCSMs, and TCSMs.