PDA

View Full Version : Close the server mentality?

Professor Xavier
Sep 9, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have noticed over the past few months this prevailing attitude and fear that it is a foregone conclusion the servers are closing right after the last update for PSU. Mostly because it happened to the PS2/PC servers. This fear is valid and realistic. I hope by speaking out about it here now it will change our expectations. We need to send the message to SEGA loud and clear we want to enjoy our game we invested money and thousands of hours in, to continue for a couple of more years past what is expected. I would not be willing to invest more time and effort in anything SEGA if they do this to us again. Whether its another Phantasy Star game or anything else. They cannot ditch us again! While we do appreciate the updates we are getting and continue to support PSU as your customers and fans we expect better! I feel it would be bad PR for them to do it again. I want to promote the attitude it would be great PR to leave the game running free. Or at a reduced rate with repeats of old events and GBR grinders boosts and other things like that. We could also explore lots of new possibilities for community events challenges and other role playing scenes never done it PSU before.

I am not asking for anyones final word on how you feel about PSU. Just please tell SEGA in you own words how you feel about this game. How would you feel if they just closed it a couple of months after the last update. It is also jus the right thing to do. Leave this game running for a couple of extra years for those who truly enjoy playing. Dont' just close it down expecting maybe some of us would just buy into another Phantasy Star game like this one never mattered. I am also into the idea of codes in the portable Phantasy Star game to unlock items in PSU. So if we played the other games we could get goodies for buying and supporting both. And vice versa, unlockables in the portable versions for playing PSU.

How about it PSO World? Please make your voice heard. For our future in PSU and the Phantasy Star franchise!!

Shou
Sep 9, 2010, 03:42 AM
I stated many months ago that PSU is dead outside of the JP servers. I will never play an online PS game on the English servers again unless both the JP and EN versions of the game play on the same servers.

JMech
Sep 9, 2010, 05:32 AM
Sega caring for their non Japanese fan base ... that would be a first.

Professor Xavier
Sep 9, 2010, 06:01 AM
I stated many months ago that PSU is dead outside of the JP servers. I will never play an online PS game on the English servers again unless both the JP and EN versions of the game play on the same servers.

Sega caring for their non Japanese fan base ... that would be a first.

I must say. Rather disappointing attitudes so far!!

TenebriS
Sep 9, 2010, 06:09 AM
what exectly you expect the peoples to say here? This 2 people are frustrated about how SEGA acts towards the non-JP community of Phantasy star players, wait a while for someone who really tell what you want to hear.

Just a lil patience^^

ashley50
Sep 9, 2010, 06:12 AM
I say...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ashley_riot/1282608459637-1.gif

JMech
Sep 9, 2010, 06:13 AM
I would be more positive but I was a Chromehounds player and they shut that servers down.
That and we (EU/US) are miles behind the content of the JP side of things, its left me less than happy with Sega .... Yet I still bought this game. You never know this game might restore my faith with Sega, I havent given up all hope yet. : P

Ive not been around here long but did the ps2 and pc gamers have to pay to play online as well?

bupjo
Sep 9, 2010, 07:28 AM
i figure once i get Phantasy Star Portable 2, i will probably cancel my subscription to PSU. i have been playing PSU since '06 and i think i am at a point where if they shut the servers down, i'd be ok with that. plus people have expressed themselves to sega, and it's usually complaining and bitching. so, i use to feel like dang, no matter what sega does people will bitch...but now i'm starting to feel like, it's time for me to move on from PSU and like i said once PSPo2 hits, i'll probably be playing that more anyway. it's a better game and i have a component cable to hook my PSP to my tv. so...it's been a heck of a ride, but i kinda don't care what happens to PSU.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 9, 2010, 07:52 AM
its attitude like this which gets you no where, there are alternatives tho, im not saying the psp is one, it most certainly doesnt not deliver in the same way. but what do you expect, every MMO has a set target for life span, some exceed this only cause they have a ravid and giant fanbase. no one can really say for certain what sega is up to, all we can do is wait for them to say something, plus imo PSP is just PSU Lite, well for one there is no way to fit all that data on a mere 1.8 gig disk, correct me if im wrong, its a nice substitute for the whole one, but I also have to agree the regional devided server was stupid as well, if FF could do it region free server why couldnt PSU heck the "PSO" server does

Xenobia
Sep 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Just never play a EU/US version, it will reach its demise, thats foolproof. JP version is superior to it and will always be. I almost hate Sega for splitting servers, it was stupid and we all know it. And Sega usualy is increasing the risk of demise because they dont provide any good support to the EU/US servers. I know it does feel like a punch in the face for all the Sega workers located in the US. However, they know as good as me that they got very little possibilitys because Sega of Japan ist the one who is making almost any decision, and Sega of America is having very little to say and cant truly execute at theyr own.

Just how it is, and thats why PSU have to be played in JP. Well, Xbox360 version is somewhat safe, because Microsoft will probably keep up the servers somehow, which is an extra-bonus. Dont even have to buy the game from a shop, can get full game directly from XBL now which isnt bad.

Delete
Sep 9, 2010, 02:43 PM
can get full game directly from XBL now which isnt bad.

This is why Psu will probably stay around for a little longer than what people say. I doubt Microsoft would put it on G.O.D (Game's On Demand...not God mind you) if it wasn't gonna be around for a while.

Imho, I'd like to see a whole new PS game. PSU had a lot of good times for sure, but I want new stuff altogether.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 9, 2010, 03:34 PM
Just never play a EU/US version, it will reach its demise, thats foolproof. JP version is superior to it and will always be. I almost hate Sega for splitting servers, it was stupid and we all know it. And Sega usualy is increasing the risk of demise because they dont provide any good support to the EU/US servers. I know it does feel like a punch in the face for all the Sega workers located in the US. However, they know as good as me that they got very little possibilitys because Sega of Japan ist the one who is making almost any decision, and Sega of America is having very little to say and cant truly execute at theyr own.

Just how it is, and thats why PSU have to be played in JP. Well, Xbox360 version is somewhat safe, because Microsoft will probably keep up the servers somehow, which is an extra-bonus. Dont even have to buy the game from a shop, can get full game directly from XBL now which isnt bad.

actually i'd say the only motivation for me to play PSU JP is the voice actors, thats really the only incentive i'd have, the english ones are ok, but their nobodies, cept ethan does sound a bit like ike from brawl "I fight for my friends" etc god i wish the 360 version has a jap voice option

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 9, 2010, 03:42 PM

That's because you are supposed to learn from history, not ignore it.

Professor Xavier
Sep 9, 2010, 04:28 PM
I am not saying we should give SEGA a gold star or anything. There is one really simple reason they should leave the servers running. There are some players who stayed through the long months and about 13-15 months total where we got a trickle of updates and events. Which is next to nothing. No one would have blamed anyone if they quit PSU. I feel we deserve at least that much time to play after the last update. And that play should be free. Or at a reduced rate if SEGA insists on having money for maintaining the servers. And if they leave it running it would be nice to get GBR and repeat events and stuff.

This is not really about SEGA anymore is it. It about venting. Getting back at them for making us wait so far behind the JP servers. Its about REVENGE isn't it?

For SEGA has a history of ditching us and making bad choices. If you know your gaming history you know very well what I peak of. The Genesis 32x, SEGA Saturn and yes the Dreamcast. With the exception of the Dreamcast they are guilty. The dreamcast lost 100s of millions. Financially at least SEGA did support it. It failed for other reasons.

The pint I am trying to make here is I started this post because I believe our voices matter. I believe we can make a difference. I believed most everyone here would support this idea to tell SEGA its a bad idea to just cut and run again after we spent so many 1000s of hours playing our characters to just shut it down once we finally get the game we waited for. And besides if the JP PSO and PSU servers are still going. All swe are asking for is the same treatment and commitment from SOA as JPs get from SOJ.

Because IMO leaving the servers running for awhile is just the right thing to do. And IMO is not really that expensive. And in IMO if SEGA wants to close the PSU servers like everyone expects. Them maybe they need to think about someone else being in charge of it for SOA. But is everyone here has already given up then I guess its too late for PSU!! Am I wrong in thinking this or are we goping to let a quest for revenge and anger get in the way of just saying its a really bad idea to do it. And everyone here will have to think twice about anything SEGA if they close the servers.

I have said as much as I can say. I hope if and when I may post something similar on the official forums. Frankly I am getting ready to give up on these forums. THeres no PSU spirit here that I can see!

stinkyfish97
Sep 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
lol. Im in this game until it ends. But Im telling you, if Sega just ups and pulls the plug like they did the PS2/PC servers, I will not buy another PSU game from them and pay them 10$ a month to play it. Ill just save myself the headache. Frankly I love this game, and more importantly the people I meet playing it. But because of the lack of content, I have lost most of my friends to other games, so its just me. It gets kinda boring when you cant find anyone to run with. Thats what I blame Sega for. I blame them for making a killer game but then not following up. They certainly didnt go all in for us on the US/EU side, thats for darn sure.

Gibdozer
Sep 9, 2010, 10:32 PM
There are some players who stayed through the long months and about 13-15 months total where we got a trickle of updates and events.

The dreamcast lost 100s of millions. Financially at least SEGA did support it. It failed for other reasons.

Because IMO leaving the servers running for awhile is just the right thing to do. And IMO is not really that expensive. And in IMO if SEGA wants to close the PSU servers like everyone expects. Them maybe they need to think about someone else being in charge of it for SOA.

THeres no PSU spirit here that I can see!

You stayed through those long months and paid your subscription fee because you perceived a value greater than the cost of the service Sega provided you.

The DC failed due to lack of consumer support. I am a huge Sega fan and loved the DC, but they dug their own grave in the console market!

Your opinion doesn't matter(neither does mine)! What does matter is the bottom dollar. The 360 servers will remain up until they no longer yield a sufficient profit for the company and not a moment longer. Sega doesn't owe you anything! They don't shut down servers to be mean, they do it to stay in business.

If you can't see that the people who post here love PSU(whether they still play or not) then your not looking.

One thing is for sure Xavier, the PSU servers will close. It may be awhile but it will close, and you will probably not be happy when it does. But you know PsP2 looks good and is free to play online so Sega and Phantasy Star are certainly moving in the right direction!

unicorn
Sep 9, 2010, 11:44 PM
PSP2 took a good chunk of JP players from JP PSU.

Imagine what it'll do to the 360 servers?

I give it a good year and thats it.

Tetsaru
Sep 9, 2010, 11:48 PM
I have said as much as I can say. I hope if and when I may post something similar on the official forums. Frankly I am getting ready to give up on these forums. THeres no PSU spirit here that I can see!

There's no "spirit" around here because we've tried it in the past to no avail. As sad as it may sound, Sega and Sonic Team just doesn't give a shit, and in my opinion, their company will continue to do poorly as long as their international branches don't cooperate with each other in terms of localization, and they continue to allow bad developers to make and manage their games. That's why a lot of devoted fans that know a thing or two about programming try to make private servers of games like this, which I really wish PSOW would support more, being a fansite and all. :(

And in terms of having all of your character data erased, well... all online games do that eventually, lol. Unless they have methods where you can use your online data in an offline mode, then there's not much you can really do about it because that data usually technically belongs to the company running the game in the first place - they just provide a service to you. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to play the same game over and over again if private servers, roms, etc. exist, but would you REALLY want to? At that point, you're just wallowing in nostalgia. There's always newer and better stuff coming out that you can entertain yourself with. :razz:

Overlord Zenon
Sep 10, 2010, 09:22 AM
you also have to consider tho, the psp system does better in japan then here, where as the xbox doesnt do as well in japan as the others in terms of sales figures, so....only time well tell, but i'd like to stay on real PSU till its time is up, was never on PSO during its time, only offline mode split screen, so i missed out on something, I still have PSO on my pc, which still goes online, and would likely go back to pso before going onto PSP2.

A2K
Sep 10, 2010, 10:12 AM
PSP2 took a good chunk of JP players from JP PSU.

Imagine what it'll do to the 360 servers?

I give it a good year and thats it.

I'm not so sure about that one. The west isn't nearly as enamored by portable games as Japan is.

TenebriS
Sep 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
i think luu meant the importers of JP PSU, not actually the Japanese :0

Ce'Nedra
Sep 10, 2010, 04:14 PM
They didn't give shit when they shut down our pc/ps2 servers, what makes you think they will listen and keep the 360 servers online if they decide to shut it down?

I already told sega how i felt about psu when they planned to shut down the pc/ps2 servers, it didn't work, so i won't even bother with the 360 servers, aside the fact i don't play on it, its no use to try save it. It will be shut down at some point.

Ishia
Sep 10, 2010, 04:20 PM
It will be shut down at some point.

The same can be said about all MMOs.

DragonForce
Sep 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
i wonder about WoW...

Sinue_v2
Sep 10, 2010, 06:22 PM

The particular flavor of jaded which is common around here does not grow naturally in the wild... it has to be cultivated.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 10, 2010, 06:39 PM
i wonder about WoW...

your not welcome here

DragonForce
Sep 10, 2010, 06:45 PM
2bad!

Professor Xavier
Sep 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
You stayed through those long months and paid your subscription fee because you perceived a value greater than the cost of the service Sega provided you.

The DC failed due to lack of consumer support. I am a huge Sega fan and loved the DC, but they dug their own grave in the console market!

Your opinion doesn't matter(neither does mine)! What does matter is the bottom dollar. The 360 servers will remain up until they no longer yield a sufficient profit for the company and not a moment longer. Sega doesn't owe you anything! They don't shut down servers to be mean, they do it to stay in business.

If you can't see that the people who post here love PSU(whether they still play or not) then your not looking.

One thing is for sure Xavier, the PSU servers will close. It may be awhile but it will close, and you will probably not be happy when it does. But you know PsP2 looks good and is free to play online so Sega and Phantasy Star are certainly moving in the right direction!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=128573

This is proof of what I speak of! When STO came out it was 49.99-59.99 with 30 days paid subscription. Just two weeks after they released the game they dropped it to 29.99 and added an extra 30 days. Thats a 50% drop across the board even before before the first 30 days way up. This threw up red flags everywhere in the game. They were trying for a money grab because they had to have thought they weren't going to be able to sell it because of bad reviews. When the game came out there was half the content they promised was supposed to be there on day 1. Needless to say some of us loved the space combat part. The game still has many issues. Anyway the thread about is just one of dozens of flame cryptic threads. With 1000s of replies and 1000s more directly to cryptic. This did have a huge impact. The sale came out on a weekend. By Monday not only was the promotion cancelled But Cryptic all but denied they ever offered it to begin with. It was a huge PR nightmare for Cryptic. Theres not telling what would have happened if they had left the special going. It is certain they would have lost many future game sales and revenue from the nearly 100,000 customers worldwide who purchased STO at full price. Everyone agrees 45-60 after release would have been a better time to discount the game. At least wait until everyone else got their first 30 days over.

I realize there is a spirit of Phantasy Star here. There are some who have PSU spirit. But the vast majority of you must play the portable version of the original PSO,which will always be the best version. I am set to play PSU. And I don't wish do stop playing because they finally finish updating the game. And if you know of any other examples of an MMO that closed two weeks after the last update like the PS2/PC servers did. Please point it out. Because that is reason enough speak out because that makes it a SEGA specific issue. All the more reason for them not to do it again. I will focus all my positive energy for PSU on the official forums. I wish everoyne the very best in the PSO and portable versions.

TY! PX

Kion
Sep 11, 2010, 12:40 AM
The point I am trying to make here is I started this post because I believe our voices matter. I believe we can make a difference. I believed most everyone here would support this idea to tell SEGA its a bad idea to just cut and run again after we spent so many 1000s of hours playing our characters to just shut it down once we finally get the game we waited for. And besides if the JP PSO and PSU servers are still going. All swe are asking for is the same treatment and commitment from SOA as JPs get from SOJ.

If SEGA actually listened to the US fanbase, I doubt that the ps2 servers would have shut down. Joining the JP servers has made me both over joyed and seriously pissed off at the same time. Logging in and playing for the first time I was amazed at how well maintained the game felt and updates occur about ever other week. And what really peeved me about that was if sega would have spent an ounce of effort on the western servers they'd probably have a really good fan base going! As a company whose goal is to make money, I find it to be a very poor decision that affects them financially. The point is they don't care, so you can either join the JP server or take your money else where as I wouldn't hold my breath expecting anything from SOJ.

Professor Xavier
Sep 11, 2010, 05:03 AM
If SEGA actually listened to the US fanbase, I doubt that the ps2 servers would have shut down. Joining the JP servers has made me both over joyed and seriously pissed off at the same time. Logging in and playing for the first time I was amazed at how well maintained the game felt and updates occur about ever other week. And what really peeved me about that was if sega would have spent an ounce of effort on the western servers they'd probably have a really good fan base going! As a company whose goal is to make money, I find it to be a very poor decision that affects them financially. The point is they don't care, so you can either join the JP server or take your money else where as I wouldn't hold my breath expecting anything from SOJ.

I cannot really dissagree with you about SEGA> My point is that if you raise a big enough stink. They would have to listen and something would get done. As far as SEGA of Japan or SEGA of america. It all still comes down to one person at SEGA that has the final say in everything. Changes have come to many things and many different companies. WHo knows if SEGA god bought out by someone or if they just decided to sell off SEGA all together. Maybe the franchise would be saved. Maybe not PSU. But there would be ea better chance for things to improve once change comes. I doubt some of the real SEGA fanbase has ever heard PSU. Its not like the Halo series. If Microsoft had a game like PSU and treated us different then the jp servers then you bet you would hear about it. Besides once the game is finished being updated they might just as well leave everything running as it is. As long as there are people playing why not?

TenebriS
Sep 11, 2010, 05:39 AM
My point is that if you raise a big enough stink. They would have to listen and something would get done.

No, SEGA has no reason to actually care what we want or think, if they dont get enough money they close, even if all would have said something.

Delete
Sep 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
Besides once the game is finished being updated they might just as well leave everything running as it is. As long as there are people playing why not?

Because it would cost money to keep those servers running. If they ever announced a last update for psu, many people would play it..get bored and realize there won't be any more content coming to this game. A few would quit which won't really be a problem, but a lot more would cancel there accounts for months or so until they get that Psu urge. That's not gonna put money in sega's wallet.

Of course this could all be a bullshit post(that's mines, not yours lol) and maybe they would simply want to start something fresh and new and leave Psu in the past.

ashley50
Sep 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
I don't really care anymore. Sure, I did enjoy it for 1-2 years, by the time the announcement for the servers shutting down I wasn't even playing anymore.
[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ashley_riot/Untitled01.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Professor Xavier
Sep 11, 2010, 09:13 PM
Most MMO's don't close the servers so soon after stopping updates. Theres no reason I have to think SEGA will do this again.

And it also makes no sense to finish updating the game just to shut it off. Theres no real time to enjoy the last content released.

And if SEGA did do it again. I certainly would never again play another SEGA MMO Just to see the same thing happen again and again.

If I remember correctly they left most versions of PSO going for a while after they were done.

And there could be a certain small amount of people who might actually buy it if it were free to play. Theres no telling how many people would do that. Microsoft would just say keep it going for free. They will just have to have an XBOX live account. WHich is still a revenue generator. I think PSU will be around for a while.

Its nice so many people disagree with me. If I am right them we all will be able to enjoy PSU for a while for free.

THANKS for posting everyone!

RubyEclipse
Sep 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
The 360 servers are at no risk of getting shut down anytime soon. :)

(We wouldn't make the expansion free, then offer the game on Games on Demand if we didn't want to see it grow and succeed!)

Powder Keg
Sep 13, 2010, 04:04 PM

(We wouldn't make the expansion free, then offer the game on Games on Demand if we didn't want to see it grow and succeed!)
Agreed. However, that success won't last if the content isn't getting pushed out and a method of getting us that GC content isn't implemented. Four weeks with no content update shouldn't be an option for a game that's four years old. Doesn't help that we really haven't heard a peep about it either.

I'm not trying to go all Hiero here, but again, the game is four years old....that gap needs to start closing.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
well the thing is, its not so much sega, but how many people are actually still on the staff for the game? gm's and in game mods included, they also needs devs as well, and it is true, PSU has been a huge part of sega's revenue, heck i recall seeing sega's online casino was PSU themed somewhere. but still MMO's for companies are a nice income, but only if theres a nice flow of content, or even bi-weekly events something ingame to keep the players enticed, well thats the thing with anygame, the need for more content

SolomonGrundy
Sep 13, 2010, 05:26 PM

that buys you a year, maybe 18 months.

My guess would be the servers get abandoned around the time this is released:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/07/09/playstation-4-ps4-and-xbox-720-release-date-predictions-from-ubisoft/

net-net -this gives us about 2.5 years...

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 14, 2010, 10:44 AM
well the thing is, its not so much sega, but how many people are actually still on the staff for the game? gm's and in game mods included, they also needs devs as well, and it is true, PSU has been a huge part of sega's revenue, heck i recall seeing sega's online casino was PSU themed somewhere. but still MMO's for companies are a nice income, but only if theres a nice flow of content, or even bi-weekly events something ingame to keep the players enticed, well thats the thing with anygame, the need for more content

The funny part is that PSU has a ton of content already done for PSU that we know about but have yet to get on the 360 servers. Japan's servers are already ~18 months ahead of us and they continue to get biweekly,or better, updates as compared to our biweekly, at best, or no content at all.

Even if Japan stopped getting updates today it would still take us ~18 months of biweekly, or better, updates to catch them. Given how it takes ~3 weeks on average between updates on the 360's servers that ~18 months becomes ~27 months. Over two years of content!

Our servers also tend to lengthen basic events to cover up this lack of updates. So where Japan has a 3-week event and then content one week after, we get a 4 or 6 week event with content 2-3 weeks after the event ends. That also assumes that they do not mess up something with the event that requires fixing, compensation or extending the event.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 14, 2010, 11:55 AM
Either way, i just sit back and watch events unfold, what happens happens, I only hope it proves interesting to me

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
Either way, i just sit back and watch events unfold, what happens happens, I only hope it proves interesting to me

Watching things unfold is free; supporting this neglect costs you $10 a month.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
10$? it costs $14.99, but its a small price to pay for live entertainment

Ishia
Sep 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
10$? it costs $14.99, but its a small price to pay for live entertainment

Not all of us are Canadians.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
this im well aware of

Quatre52
Sep 15, 2010, 04:06 AM
10 bucks a month is really that much if you have any form of an income. so really..why care?

Tetsaru
Sep 15, 2010, 04:14 AM
10 bucks a month is really that much if you have any form of an income. so really..why care?

True, but it's not worth it to pay for shitty service. Continuing to pay for a US/Europe PSU account rather than, say, Guardians Cash content on the Japanese servers, also just puts the wrong ideas into Sega's head that we LIKE being treated like the red-headed stepchild when it comes to how the game is managed and updated. :confused:

Also, keep in mind that a lot of younger/dependent gamers often have to rely on their parents' credit/debit accounts to pay for this kind of stuff.

Zantra
Sep 15, 2010, 04:57 AM
I think not renewing my subscrtiption after the first month, tells Sega everyrthing they'd ever need to know about PSU.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 15, 2010, 03:38 PM
I dont think that tells them anything, rather sega is making money off PSU either way, weither it be PSP2 sales, or paying for on a home console, personally you never get what you pay for these days anyways

psduckie
Sep 16, 2010, 09:12 AM
I hope they don't close the servers. Though there might not be many updates, the game itself is good enough that it doesn't need that many!

That said, I'm putting off resubscribing until the final boss (that would be Magashi) is dead in offline mode once again.

Juza
Sep 16, 2010, 10:04 AM
The same can be said about all MMOs.

EverQuest, which was *the* MMOG that defined the genre (sorry, UO fans, but UO wasn't EQ) is still active.

Dark Age of Camelot, for all love - is *still* *running*. (DAOC was designed by the only company more incompetent than Sega, by the way - Mythic, who went on to license and fail at Warhammer.)

MMOs closing is the exception, not the rule, especially since you need very, very, very few players to make an actual profit*. (* Actual profit may not impress investors or allow CEO to escape via Golden Parachute, but will look nice on a balance sheet.)

No. No excuses. None at all. Sega keeps creeping up behind non-JP players and doing things I can't begin to describe on this forum.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... We don't get fooled again.

xmoonprismpowerx
Sep 17, 2010, 12:40 AM
I honestly think there is too much money to be lost if they closed down the server in America. I mean, PC and PS2 didn't have as many people. But there are much more on the American servers. If they were smart SEGA would balance the missions and give people a reason to do all the missions... instead of letting a broken game remain that way.

TheAstarion
Sep 17, 2010, 10:16 PM
After losing my main account to Microsoft's unchangeable address policies, I wouldn't be too sad to see the server close down. My stuff is online only, but I'e already lost it in a sense. Most of the people I've counted as friends on PSU I talk to outside of the game anyway.

A pity, I had a decent enough rep, and had only been BL'd a couple of times. To my knowledge anyway. Started a new account to get over the withdrawal, it's incredibly difficult to garner respect as a 121K ID when you've been around since (admittedly not day one) 74K days.

HienkyakuX
Sep 17, 2010, 11:47 PM
Can u guys end this already the server is run by M$ only updated by M$ when they receive the updates from Sega and only after validation from the M$ group so...M$ won't close it up just yet...just like epi 1&2 on the old xbox that didn't close down till very late but didn't had any more support for a long time before that.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 18, 2010, 03:24 AM
Can u guys end this already the server is run by M$ only updated by M$ when they receive the updates from Sega and only after validation from the M$ group so...M$ won't close it up just yet...just like epi 1&2 on the old xbox that didn't close down till very late but didn't had any more support for a long time before that.

The servers are most certainly not run by Microsoft. SoJ controls the content for the servers. SoA manages the servers. Microsoft only needs to certify content that is distributed over their network (title updates for example). Last time I checked you did not need an Xbox Live Gold account to play PSU so how is Microsoft responsible for any of this? Ignorant fanboyism at its worst in trying to blame Microsoft for SEGA's failures.

Volcompat321
Sep 18, 2010, 03:44 AM
The servers are most certainly not run by Microsoft. SoJ controls the content for the servers. SoA manages the servers. Microsoft only needs to certify content that is distributed over their network (title updates for example). Last time I checked you did not need an Xbox Live Gold account to play PSU so how is Microsoft responsible for any of this? Ignorant fanboyism at its worst in trying to blame Microsoft for SEGA's failures.

Yet another post I agree with from you.

Whoever said Microsoft ran PSU... is either smokin' some stuff, or you know. Stupid.

FirefoxKyuubi
Sep 18, 2010, 03:48 AM
With Phantasy star Online 2 we will see what will happen.

HienkyakuX
Sep 18, 2010, 12:41 PM
@Hiero_Glyph & Volcompat321 WTF is up with you two? I didn't say the game is run by MS the server is. If Sega is so lame to not update it and send the update packages it's their fault. Now even if Sega decides not to update it ever again it's up to MS to have it running or not; just like whit PSO 1&2

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

@Hiero_Glyph & Volcompat321 WTF is up with you two? I didn't say the game is run by MS the server is. If Sega is so lame to not update it and send the update packages it's their fault. Now even if Sega decides not to update it ever again it's up to MS to have it running or not; just like whit PSO 1&2

The PSU server is NOT run by Microsoft; I thought I cleared this up already. The servers are stored in SoA's facility in San Francisco, CA, not in Redmond, Washington where Microsoft is headquartered. Again, please get your facts straight.

I do like how you go from saying that Microsoft updates the servers in the first statement to SEGA updating them in the second though, at least you finally understand that part. It could be possible that SEGA is contractually obligated to keep the servers running for a set amount of time but given how Microsoft kills multiple MMO projects each year I doubt they care about keeping PSU running at this point.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
I honestly think it should be closed.(The community is just about dead so why stick around?)When PSO2 comes out with that Global Support,I'll be back then.Plus why are you guys sticking around a game with thats about to close down anyway?

Delete
Sep 18, 2010, 03:22 PM
(The community is just about dead so why stick around?)[/I]

Even though I couldn't give a hoot hoot if they did close the servers down, I have to disagree on this. There is surprisingly a decent amount of people who still eat,sleep, and live to play PSU.

And if it means anything, I hope they do keep da servers up for a while. Just because I don't play it anymore doesn't mean I want the servers down.

Powder Keg
Sep 18, 2010, 11:58 PM
I honestly think it should be closed.(The community is just about dead so why stick around?)When PSO2 comes out with that Global Support,I'll be back then.Plus why are you guys sticking around a game with thats about to close down anyway?

Clueless / 10, especially the bolded.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 19, 2010, 03:07 AM
Clueless / 10, especially the bolded.

I take that back actually,I've played the 360 version and there are some people on,not alot,but I can guarantee at the rate it's going it's not gong to last.(I've played until level 140 and quit months ago.)So I'm not completely clueless on this game.(There was a decent amount of people on but never alot.)The couple of months I played,the community was decent.)I aslo tried to play the PS2 Version,no one was on ever on,thank god I stopped playing that right away.I got in one party in that version,still got my online piece and CD for the PS2 and everything.

Powder Keg
Sep 19, 2010, 07:10 AM
I take that back actually,I've played the 360 version and there are some people on,not alot,but I can guarantee at the rate it's going it's not gong to last.(I've played until level 140 and quit months ago.)So I'm not completely clueless on this game.(There was a decent amount of people on but never alot.)The couple of months I played,the community was decent.)I aslo tried to play the PS2 Version,no one was on ever on,thank god I stopped playing that right away.I got in one party in that version,still got my online piece and CD for the PS2 and everything.

To give you an idea, 360 has about as many active subs as the PC side did around release. How long the server is going to last depends on how long most of the community tolerates the shitty update process.

Mortalis
Sep 19, 2010, 08:31 AM
To give you an idea, 360 has about as many active subs as the PC side did around release. How long the server is going to last depends on how long most of the community tolerates the shitty update process.

I'm not sure if I can believe that. PS2/PC had 2 and a half full universe's at any given moment upon release. From what I'm hearing, 360 can get about 1(maybe one and a half). There'd have to be an awful lot of people who don't play and still have a sub laying around.

unicorn
Sep 19, 2010, 09:03 AM
PC/PS2 had two full servers, one half, and the rest had 1 one star practically. Upon release.

Mortalis
Sep 19, 2010, 09:08 AM
PC/PS2 had two full servers, one half, and the rest had 1 one star practically. Upon release.

Those were the days. I still remember mailing a friend. "I can't join the party yet! Universe 1 is full. I can't get in!"

Overlord Zenon
Sep 19, 2010, 06:37 PM
It really debatable, since PSU was placed on games on demand, and the fact Xbox Live isnt going anywhere, anytime soon, and now with Dreamcast titles being released, will PSO1 come back? with XBLA suppling the online feature? its hard to say but i doubt PSU will just drop dead after PSO, for one, Sega could mess PSO2 up royally and it be worse then PSU, so i'd rather wait and see before I even consider jumping ship

Professor Xavier
Sep 20, 2010, 04:45 PM

I cannot disagree with you about the amount of people playing. But only SEGA know how many active accounts there are. There are many other factors besides just game update that could determine what is next and when. Lets just say that SEGA has had 4-5 years bow to watch the ebs and flows of accounts. Both here and Japan. Whether its school summer vacation starting or stopping. Releases of Halo 3 and Gears of war. And now Halo Reach. ANd when they have events. Which tends to be a really good indication of how many accounts there are. I do know of some players who don't play thier accounts fo months and still keep them active. Its not fair to hold back content. But they (SEGA and Sonic team) do not march to the beat of our drums.