PDA

View Full Version : Future of Beasts....?

•Col•
Sep 11, 2010, 03:39 PM
With all the rumors of a new PSO game flying around.... I'm a little concerned... D:

I'm afraid that Beasts won't return in the next main PS game... The next game could take place far into the past, or perhaps much further in the future, in a different galaxy where Beasts don't exist... It kinda makes me sad to think that they wont return, as they've really grown on me and seem just as important as Casts and Newmans to me now...

What does everyone else think?

BIG OLAF
Sep 11, 2010, 03:45 PM
Well, all the hardcore PSO fans will probably say the same thing (as in, won't miss them), seeing as in inclusion of Beasts in PSU made them :argh: uncontrollably.

Anyway, I'll certainly miss them if they aren't in the next big Phantasy Star game. Or at least the females. They were by far the prettiest ladies in PSU/P/P2, in my opinion.

Ishia
Sep 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
They were by far the prettiest ladies in PSU/P/P2, in my opinion.

Stop trolling.

DragonForce
Sep 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
I don't wanna see beasts return. In fact, I don't wanna see anything PSU-related in another Phantasy Star game at all.

BIG OLAF
Sep 11, 2010, 03:48 PM
Stop trolling.

I'm not. Stop being intolerant of other people's opinions.

XbikXBd
Sep 11, 2010, 04:04 PM
Don't worry he has been trolling since he is not playing psu anymore atm lol
btw yes i will need beasts in the new game if any lol.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
its debatable, getting back on the topic here, sure hardocre pso wont miss them, but there should be more then just 3 races, and i'd like to see more customizable aspects then psu ina new pso, pso was very limited for creations, i know i'll get flammed for that but looking back now, its still a classic and all, but i feels to clunky to really pick up and play anymore, again im used to PSU movement to PSO i'd have to get into the groove again

XbikXBd
Sep 11, 2010, 04:08 PM
its debatable, getting back on the topic here, sure hardocre pso wont miss them, but there should be more then just 3 races, and i'd like to see more customizable aspects then psu ina new pso, pso was very limited for creations, i know i'll get flammed for that but looking back now, its still a classic and all, but i feels to clunky to really pick up and play anymore, again im used to PSU movement to PSO i'd have to get into the groove again

well its 6 races now

DragonForce
Sep 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
lol @ Dumans

Ce'Nedra
Sep 12, 2010, 05:25 AM
Well, all the hardcore PSO fans will probably say the same thing (as in, won't miss them), seeing as in inclusion of Beasts in PSU made them :argh: uncontrollably.

I agree, i won't miss them at all, and i wouldn't miss it if they remove the Android class either, they made these 2 classes far to good on PSU by giving them SUV and Nanoblasting where Humans and Newmans get nothing.

I hope they balance all classes out by either giving them all a SUV like attack or nothing at all.

Seth Astra
Sep 12, 2010, 07:58 AM
IMO, it was best with just 3 races. Closest to balanced everything will likely get.

FOkyasuta
Sep 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
Well There Just Like The HUcast Class In PSO. Only Less Accurete And More Power Full.

They were by far the prettiest ladies in PSU/P/P2, in my opinion.

I Agree With Ya On That One.

Alexandria
Sep 12, 2010, 11:43 AM
IMO, it was best with just 3 races. Closest to balanced everything will likely get.

lol@PSObeingbalanced

That was one of the most broken ass games ever, dood. Between the mag system, units having no level req, mats, and weapons only requiring stats to equip you could have a level 1 RANGER using excaliburs and shit. Magic sucked ass, to the point FO's started using melee weapons to do anything. And HUcast was the best class BY FAR. There was zero balance in PSO, and you're ignorant if you think otherwise.

Seth Astra
Sep 12, 2010, 11:46 AM
Actually, never played PSO. (Tragicly) only played PSZ. However, I still say that I like the way the races balanced there. Sure, it needed work, but I don't think beasts were a good adition.

Khorian
Sep 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
lol@PSObeingbalanced

That was one of the most broken ass games ever, dood. Between the mag system, units having no level req, mats, and weapons only requiring stats to equip you could have a level 1 RANGER using excaliburs and shit. Magic sucked ass, to the point FO's started using melee weapons to do anything. And HUcast was the best class BY FAR. There was zero balance in PSO, and you're ignorant if you think otherwise.

/agree.

Also, beasts are awesome, Dumans on the other hand barely make any sense at all. My main was a beast and I'll be sad to see them go.

darkante
Sep 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
Yesh, i would miss them.
By far my favorite race.

Alexandria
Sep 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
Sega would be too afraid of the furry backlash to remove Beasts :3

BIG OLAF
Sep 12, 2010, 12:32 PM
Also, beasts are awesome, Dumans on the other hand barely make any sense at all. My main was a beast and I'll be sad to see them go.

Yeah, I'm still unsure about Sega adding another race into PSP2:I. I mean, what will Dumans specialize in? Beasts wrap up melee, CASTs excel in range, Newmans got teching down pat, and Humans are our resident jack-of-all-trades.

What could the Dumans possibly bring to the table? Sega probably made them overpowered as shit, so everyone will play as them, I bet.

Alexandria
Sep 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I'm still unsure about Sega adding another race into PSP2:I. I mean, what will Dumans specialize in? Beasts wrap up melee, CASTs excel in range, Newmans got teching down pat, and Humans are our resident jack-of-all-trades.

What could the Dumans possibly bring to the table? Sega probably made them overpowered as shit, so everyone will play as them, I bet.

Well, just by going by the trailer, they have some magic-ey stuff involving their weapons. Possibly specializing in exclusive single buffs for melee?

HeartBreak301
Sep 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
Sega would be too afraid of the furry backlash to remove Beasts :3

As if anybody would have a reason to be afraid of that. If they kept beasts in, I guess it'd be ok but they'd have to remove nanoblasts and SUV weapons and just stick to Photon Blasts so humans and newmans wouldn't be immediately inferior due to a lack of a special ability. Although I really don't expect beasts to make a return since they're only tied into the PSU storyline.

And on that comment about forces in PSO being weak, have you ever nuked episode 4? My foney hitting 700+ with each rafoie begs to differ.

Alexandria
Sep 12, 2010, 01:00 PM
And on that comment about forces in PSO being weak, have you ever nuked episode 4? My foney hitting 700+ with each rafoie begs to differ.

Pfft, yeah and my 8K hitting 100% nat excal says hi.

As if anybody would have a reason to be afraid of that. If they kept beasts in, I guess it'd be ok but they'd have to remove nanoblasts and SUV weapons and just stick to Photon Blasts so humans and newmans wouldn't be immediately inferior due to a lack of a special ability. Although I really don't expect beasts to make a return since they're only tied into the PSU storyline.

What reason would they have to remove beasts anyways? They already resolved the super issue by giving Humans and Newmans Mirages. And they would just end up alienating a large chunk of their fanbase. Believe it or not, PSU had nearly as many furries as lolicons. :P

Pirrip
Sep 12, 2010, 01:03 PM
I would miss the beasts.

BIG OLAF
Sep 12, 2010, 01:43 PM
Believe it or not, PSU had nearly as many furries as lolicons. :P

Uhh, not all people that play Beasts are furries, bud. Just saying.

•Col•
Sep 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
I agree, i won't miss them at all, and i wouldn't miss it if they remove the Android class either, they made these 2 classes far to good on PSU by giving them SUV and Nanoblasting where Humans and Newmans get nothing.

I hope they balance all classes out by either giving them all a SUV like attack or nothing at all.

Go play Phantasy Star Portable 2... -_- Humans and Newmans get a special attack called Mirage Blast... Also, Nanoblast SUCKS in PS:P2. I can actually do more damage in my base form than I can in my transformed state as a beast, and I hear that Nanoblast only becomes more unreliable as you level up.

I'm not sure how SUV attacks are now, though... But they're probably just as useful as the Mirage Blasts are...

On the blog they talk about how Dumans are supposed to be a fighting-mage type class... They have pretty high attack and mind stats, but they have the worst defense of any the races, so they really have to focus on dodging things.

Ce'Nedra
Sep 12, 2010, 01:58 PM
Not everyone has the luxery of playing the JP version of the game or the demo. I know they got Mirage Blasts now but that still doesn't change the fact they made newmans and humans pointless in AotI.

•Col•
Sep 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
Not everyone has the luxery of playing the JP version of the game or the demo. I know they got Mirage Blasts now but that still doesn't change the fact they made newmans and humans pointless in AotI.

Luxury? English demo has been out for almost a month now, dude.

Humans and Newmans pointless in AotI...? ............................Did you even play PSU?

Yeah, actually you're right. Humans and Newmans were useless in AotI... Because everyone knows Beasts and Casts were by far the best races for Technic users, right?

HeartBreak301
Sep 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah, my knowledge of PSU is limited to PSU:AotI. But I still think it's a better idea to give all the classes an equally powered special ability.

Pfft, yeah and my 8K hitting 100% nat excal says hi.
And in response to this, Excalibur will NEVER hit 8000, and while you're running around with that to smack different things a FO can stunlock an entire room and destroy it all at once. Forces are superior to every other class in episode 4.

xBladeM6x
Sep 12, 2010, 04:10 PM
Actually, if you watch what's happening with the storyline, they're bringing PSU into the Universe of PSO and connecting them, in the next PSP2 Infinity game. Since these timelines will be put together, this will only mean that Infinity is what will put them together and PSO2 is what will continue them both at the same time. Essentially Beasts and Dumans can be in the next installment.

Would I be sad if I Beasts were removed? Yes. Why? Well I would get into it, but I'm wayyyy to tired and lazy right now to bother explaining. It's probably worth having it's own topic, but I don't care enough right now. lol

TheAstarion
Sep 12, 2010, 05:34 PM
Remove beasts? I'd be pretty down about it, then drown my sorrows with some good old fashioned Newmanitis medication.

I always play the Hack & Slash, Buff & Heal Magic Knight whenever I can. HUnewearl in PSO GC and BB, and Beast Wartecher in PSU. My buffs aren't the best, but they make a difference when I'm the only one not playing pure HU/RA.

I don't like having to play human to make this viable, they just seem so, well, bland to me. I'm all for giving humans something special, but they shouldn't be the only ones capable of playing the way I like.

PSO continued the traditional human/newman/android dynamic while removing Musk Cats, Dezolians and Motavians. PSU upped the ante with Beasts and their Nanoblast, and made CASTs into an upgraded version of androids. If anything, I can see the next PS generation having more feral beasts, possibly with equipment restrictions (single & twin weapons only?) to make them more different to the human & space elf. Depending on dumans' reception, beasts may gain retroactive status as a classic race because of the new race's "New Kid" status.

Only time (or possibly an extremely large bribe to the dev team) will tell.

Tetsaru
Sep 12, 2010, 08:11 PM
I say the more races to play as, the better... as long as they're balanced, and unfortunately, Sega/Sonic Team doesn't seem to understand this concept. Regardless though, it's always good to give players options, in my opinion.

Humans and Newmans pointless in AotI...? ............................Did you even play PSU?

Yeah, actually you're right. Humans and Newmans were useless in AotI... Because everyone knows Beasts and Casts were by far the best races for Technic users, right?

Seeing how most buff and support techs don't really rely on TP (save for Resta and Giresta, big whoop)... then yeah, they kinda were, lol, especially if you were an Acrotecher. There wasn't really much point in playing an offensive techer class because they were incredibly fragile, and for the most part, melee and gun PA's just provided more DPS than repeatedly casting the same techs over and over, unless the Supplemental Update changed that, which I never got to experience in the first place because I was on the PC/PS2 servers. And let's not forget how excessive tech-casting often caused people's games to slowdown horribly. Add in the facts that Beasts and CASTs had higher HP and ATP (most of the other stats didn't really matter, unfortunately), AND were able to make themselves temporarily invulnerable with SUV's and the blue Nanoblast... there just wasn't really much point to playing as a Human or Newman, much less as a non-AT techer class. There were just too many balance issues, at least when I was playing PSU. Maybe the Supplemental Update fixed some things, but I suspect a lot of those issues still remain. :confused:

•Col•
Sep 12, 2010, 08:40 PM
I say the more races to play as, the better... as long as they're balanced, and unfortunately, Sega/Sonic Team doesn't seem to understand this concept. Regardless though, it's always good to give players options, in my opinion.

seeing how most buff and support techs don't really rely on TP (save for Resta and Giresta, big whoop)... then yeah, they kinda were, lol, especially if you were an Acrotecher. There wasn't really much point in playing an offensive techer class because they were incredibly fragile, and for the most part, melee and gun PA's just provided more DPS than repeatedly casting the same techs over and over, unless the Supplemental Update changed that, which I never got to experience in the first place because I was on the PC/PS2 servers. And let's not forget how excessive tech-casting often caused people's games to slowdown horribly. Add in the facts that Beasts and CASTs had higher HP and ATP (most of the other stats didn't really matter, unfortunately), AND were able to make themselves temporarily invulnerable with SUV's and the blue Nanoblast... there just wasn't really much point to playing as a Human or Newman, much less as a non-AT techer class. There were just too many balance issues, at least when I was playing PSU. Maybe the Supplemental Update fixed some things, but I suspect a lot of those issues still remain. :confused:

Then that's a problem with the balancing of class types, not races.

Also, Humans/Newmans got a lot more stat bonuses than Casts/Beasts depending on their class.

http://psupedia.info/Types#Favored_Types

FOkyasuta
Sep 12, 2010, 08:52 PM
But Its Only A Minor Boost... Right?

Tetsaru
Sep 12, 2010, 09:04 PM
Then that's a problem with the balancing of class types, not races.

Also, Humans/Newmans got a lot more stat bonuses than Casts/Beasts depending on their class.

http://psupedia.info/Types#Favored_Types

So according to this, they get between a 102%-105% increase in stats...

So I'm guessing this would mean (unless the stats are weighed or calculated differently) for every 100 points in a certain stat, they'd get an extra 2 to 5 points...

Wow, that's... barely noticeable at all, lol... especially considering that some stats like defense and MST don't mean shit anyway. =/

A2K
Sep 12, 2010, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't say humans and newmans were entirely pointless myself, since Ambition of the Illuminus was released they made the game a bit easier on everyone, but it is rather undeniable that CASTs and beasts got a clear edge with their race abilities.

That's my only real complaint, though. Just throw the Mirage Blasts from PSP2 in already and I'd be rather satisfied, I think.

Seeing how most buff and support techs don't really rely on TP (save for Resta and Giresta, big whoop)... then yeah, they kinda were, lol, especially if you were an Acrotecher. There wasn't really much point in playing an offensive techer class because they were incredibly fragile, and for the most part, melee and gun PA's just provided more DPS than repeatedly casting the same techs over and over, unless the Supplemental Update changed that, which I never got to experience in the first place because I was on the PC/PS2 servers. And let's not forget how excessive tech-casting often caused people's games to slowdown horribly. Add in the facts that Beasts and CASTs had higher HP and ATP (most of the other stats didn't really matter, unfortunately), AND were able to make themselves temporarily invulnerable with SUV's and the blue Nanoblast... there just wasn't really much point to playing as a Human or Newman, much less as a non-AT techer class. There were just too many balance issues, at least when I was playing PSU. Maybe the Supplemental Update fixed some things, but I suspect a lot of those issues still remain. :confused:

The supplemental update definitely turned things around damage-wise for Masterforce, at least Foie and Diga now gain an additional target at LV41 and higher, and on top of that they can spend advanced points to acquire Limit Break Foie and Diga for an additional two targets on top of that: that 4000 on Zoal Goug just became 16000.

•Col•
Sep 13, 2010, 12:08 PM
So according to this, they get between a 102%-105% increase in stats...

So I'm guessing this would mean (unless the stats are weighed or calculated differently) for every 100 points in a certain stat, they'd get an extra 2 to 5 points...

Wow, that's... barely noticeable at all, lol... especially considering that some stats like defense and MST don't mean shit anyway. =/

Alone, its not that big of a deal, yeah. But take into consideration that Beasts and Casts already have pretty bad stats for pure Technic classes(like Fortetecher or Masterforce), and the gap between them and Humans/Newmans becomes that much larger. Not to mention, when talking about hybrid technic classes (Guntecher/Wartecher/Acrotecher), although Humans/Newmans still probably wont be able to dish out as much melee damage as Beasts/Casts, the stat boost will help them so they're not hitting for THAT much less damage, but also, they'll be able to use Technics much more efficiently than a Cast/Beast hybrid class would.

Humans and Newmans are FAR from useless if you want to play a technic class, or even any hybrid class... But also, like I've already said.... Although technic using classes aren't as efficient(?) as melee/gunning classes, that's an issue with the balancing of types, not races... But oh well... Forces got their time to shine in PSO anyway... :P

Kenbog
Sep 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
ill keep it short,
Long live the beasts!

I like all races tho...

Ce'Nedra
Sep 13, 2010, 01:34 PM
Luxury? English demo has been out for almost a month now, dude.

Not everyone can also get the demo, last time i heard there was no demo for the EU people at all.

Even if there was, my PSP is broken anyway so i couldn't even play it if i wanted to, that and i don't have my PS3 hooked to internet at the moment.

Oh and i also find demos of games a waste of time to spend on, i know you can import your demo data to the real game with PSUP2 but even so...no use for me.

•Col•
Sep 14, 2010, 03:29 PM
Not everyone can also get the demo, last time i heard there was no demo for the EU people at all.

Even if there was, my PSP is broken anyway so i couldn't even play it if i wanted to, that and i don't have my PS3 hooked to internet at the moment.

Oh and i also find demos of games a waste of time to spend on, i know you can import your demo data to the real game with PSUP2 but even so...no use for me.

....If you're not going to even play it anyway, then why even bother trying to hide behind the excuse "Oh, not everyone can get the demo"? -_-....

SolomonGrundy
Sep 14, 2010, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't say humans and newmans were entirely pointless myself, since Ambition of the Illuminus was released they made the game a bit easier on everyone, but it is rather undeniable that CASTs and beasts got a clear edge with their race abilities.

That's my only real complaint, though. Just throw the Mirage Blasts from PSP2 in already and I'd be rather satisfied, I think.

The supplemental update definitely turned things around damage-wise for Masterforce, at least Foie and Diga now gain an additional target at LV41 and higher, and on top of that they can spend advanced points to acquire Limit Break Foie and Diga for an additional two targets on top of that: that 4000 on Zoal Goug just became 16000.

beasts, casts and newmans all have a niche. beats have best HP and ATP, nanoblast ahrdly matters. CASTs have a "limit break" style special ability in their SUV newmans are the only class able to deliver considerable tech damage.

HUmans are kinda left out. GAS helped some, with the higher level of customization available (especially for those who do like to chagne jobs to optimize for a mission). I think SEGA could have done better with ProTranser to make this tailored to humans.

On the equipment front, they could have done a LOT to make humans more desireable (TP based melee weapons, EVP based armor, human only weapons - like killer elite or gudda iggac).

not sure if that means beasts are on the way out, but I won't miss them overmuch if it happens.

TheAstarion
Sep 14, 2010, 10:06 PM
Humans have the same caps for ATP+ and PA+ per weapon... they can diversify more than other races sure, but a beast focused in ATP and crossbows is still going to pump out bigger numbers than a human with the same customisations.

The human's wider range of customisations is for people who have one character; their human. They have a human because they're "good at everything". They don't level other characters because their "human is the best" already. The ability to earn 200 million EXP above the level cap and still not be finished with GAS is what humans have.

I have one human character between two accounts, and his only purpose is to lampoon how bland and boring humans are. Especially human male fighgunners. Spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, get a buff from SEGA, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, try Fighmaster, spin, spin, spin, spin, get bored, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, get another buff from SEGA just as other classes are being brought up to scratch, spin, spin, spin, spin. Seriously, it's a Sonic the Hedgehog class.

If anything, I'd like to see humans phased out, but that's not going to happen. Closest thing would be splitting them into Orakians and Layans in Phantasy Star terms.

SolomonGrundy
Sep 15, 2010, 02:51 AM
Humans have the same caps for ATP+ and PA+ per weapon... they can diversify more than other races sure, but a beast focused in ATP and crossbows is still going to pump out bigger numbers than a human with the same customisations.

The human's wider range of customisations is for people who have one character; their human. They have a human because they're "good at everything". They don't level other characters because their "human is the best" already. The ability to earn 200 million EXP above the level cap and still not be finished with GAS is what humans have.

I have one human character between two accounts, and his only purpose is to lampoon how bland and boring humans are. Especially human male fighgunners. Spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, get a buff from SEGA, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, try Fighmaster, spin, spin, spin, spin, get bored, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, get another buff from SEGA just as other classes are being brought up to scratch, spin, spin, spin, spin. Seriously, it's a Sonic the Hedgehog class.

If anything, I'd like to see humans phased out, but that's not going to happen. Closest thing would be splitting them into Orakians and Layans in Phantasy Star terms.

but humans get more total slots too, which means they can get more weapons to PA level+, or they can do stuff like right hand+ AND dagger element+
those percentages add up...

Quatre52
Sep 15, 2010, 03:51 AM
Humans are for those of us who have been around long enough to realize, in the end, it really doesnt matter.

Ce'Nedra
Sep 15, 2010, 12:39 PM
....If you're not going to even play it anyway, then why even bother trying to hide behind the excuse "Oh, not everyone can get the demo"? -_-....

Because alot of people probarly think that everyone here has played the demo? I was merely stating my situation about not playing the demo and my opinion on the fact that i think beats and casts got far better off then the other 2 races. That's all there is to it.

SolomonGrundy
Sep 15, 2010, 12:59 PM
Humans are for those of us who have been around long enough to realize, in the end, it really doesnt matter.

oh, but it did for a long, long, long time.

I remember certain events that you needed 2 casts, and beast to make the time requirement. Those events also had a 4 person cap. so yeah, good luck filling the last slot, human.

Ravenbryt
Sep 15, 2010, 01:54 PM
OK. Here is what I think. Beasts should stay. Keep the nanoblast. And the Cast's SUV weapons. Those have saved my ass more times than I can count. Whether or not it was me using them. Seriously. Me and my friend had to kill a boss. He had a newman and I had my beast. Neither of us could kill it alone....so he buffed me and I whooped some SEED ass. lmao. All races are useful at some point. Don't take out a fan fave just cause there's an imbalance. Just give the other races something in return. I was thinking that someone either human, newman or both should get something hella cool too. Idk what the Mirage blast is yet, but before it came out I thought it would be cool if someone could summon a stateria. How cool would that be. Big De Ragnus givin you and you friends shit. Cast friend breaks out the SUV, beast can nanoblast, and you pull up the blast from the past to whoop some ass. We must learn something from Final Fantasy. Summon summon summon. lol. Message me

Quatre52
Sep 15, 2010, 03:12 PM
oh, but it did for a long, long, long time.

I remember certain events that you needed 2 casts, and beast to make the time requirement. Those events also had a 4 person cap. so yeah, good luck filling the last slot, human.

well, since the day PSO first came out, there has never been a challenge i couldnt complete, no matter the team or race. I gotta tell you, I'm not that worried anymore.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 15, 2010, 03:40 PM
doesnt matter what race you are, you can still kick ass in the game

psduckie
Sep 15, 2010, 10:20 PM
I say keep the beasts. My main character is and will always be a beast simply for the nanoblast. Not because it's powerful, but because it's just awesome.

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
doesnt matter what race you are, you can still kick ass in the game

Couldn't Have Say'd It Better My Self.

TierrenZX
Sep 15, 2010, 10:43 PM
You guys do realize that Beasts existed in PSO right? They were just known as Boomas back then.

Lol, well in all seriousness, we'll just have to see as more info pops up

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 10:45 PM
You guys do realize that Beasts existed in PSO right? They were just known as Boomas back then.

Owch. Now I Feel Bad Making That Booma's Claw Back In 2004. >.<

Typestatic
Sep 15, 2010, 10:47 PM

BOOOOOOMAAAAAAAAA!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ2Kn74qBpU

•Col•
Sep 16, 2010, 09:25 AM
Well.... PSO2 has been announced...

I guess it wont be long before we find out the fate of Beasts...

psduckie
Sep 16, 2010, 12:53 PM
Well.... PSO2 has been announced...

I guess it wont be long before we find out the fate of Beasts...

PLEASE don't kill them off in PSO2...

HeartBreak301
Sep 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
If it takes place on Ragol, then no beasts.

•Col•
Sep 16, 2010, 03:09 PM
If it takes place on Ragol, then no beasts.

That's what it seems like, yes... But at the same time, I kind of doubt its going to be on Ragol..... I mean.... There just doesn't seem like there's much left to do there, storyline wise? I guess they could make something up, like in PSO ep4... But I just dunno...

My guess is that either PSO2 is either going to take place in between PSO and PSU, or long after PSU... Phantasy Star: Portable 2 Infinity is apparently going to reveal a LARGE link between PSO and PSU, so maybe PSO2 could be that link? In which case, Beasts may or may not return, lol....

Still too early to call it. D: It could go either way at this point...

Omega-z
Sep 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
To bad they can`t make it so that you can choose what you want, ie.. like have no race or class but you decide how your character will look,stats....etc by choices you make in-game like black and white or something like it.... even killing people on Pinoeer 2 lol have to have your good and your bad choices too lol. I always thought all the games where together to start with by never made the connections... since dark falz in a altered time dimminsional flux vortex that connects all time and space together and why that punk never dies that and people seem to treaval through it at times with out knowing it. probly made eon ago and we need to close it? to get rid of falz for good trapping it, in it`s own dimmsion? thoughts?

Justyn_Darkcrest
Sep 19, 2010, 05:38 AM

Does that mean that the Hildebear was a beast in nanoblast form? :p
Seriously though I'd be sad to see beasts go for 2 main reasons 1) More options for class/race generally means more ppl playing and 2) Some of my best friends would probably refuse to play if they did away with them, Besides, it's always fun to heckle them about shedding on the carpet and coughing up furballs while they kill everything ^.-b

FOkyasuta
Sep 19, 2010, 08:45 AM
Maybe They Did Create Beast's On Pioneer 2? Who Knows?
BOOOOOOMAAAAAAAAA!!!!

YouTube - Left 4 Dead Boomer Sounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ2Kn74qBpU)

Nice Typo.

Quatre52
Sep 19, 2010, 10:57 PM
I'm kinda amused, yall are worried about something theres no information on, just assuming they'd pull out a class.

dias_flac_0g
Sep 20, 2010, 05:06 AM
I'm kinda amused, yall are worried about something theres no information on, just assuming they'd pull out a class.

Yea seriously xD

If anything "beast" will return in PSO2. I really dont see them droping the beast race.

FOkyasuta
Sep 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
RAbeast = Dont Fit?

HUbeast = Fits.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 20, 2010, 08:59 AM
I just cant see them fitting it the PSO story,it would seem out of place.(We never heard anything from beast in PSO,and them making a appearance is very low.)So how the hell would they find beast.(PSO2 should be taking place in a different galaxy or something right? (I'm not bashing beast or anything,I just dont know how it would work,and I'm afraid this might be some another PSU remake with a different name.

Tetsaru
Sep 20, 2010, 10:36 AM

This is purely speculation and may be a bit far-fetched, but... in terms of storyline, since Humans supposedly created the other races, perhaps Beasts weren't "invented" during the course of PSO's timeline? Perhaps they used some of the data gained from studying De Rol Le being able to mutate other monsters (lol "Altered BEASTS")? Might explain why Beasts are able to Nanoblast and change form. :confused:

Also, in PSU, wasn't there mention of a long war between each of the races? I didn't follow PSU's storyline too closely, but I vaguely remember something along the lines of a 200-Year War or something that was ended by the Tripartite Agreement, or something related to the Parum Unity Event... I can't remember exactly. Perhaps PSO2's storyline will relate to this event somehow?

Alexandria
Sep 20, 2010, 12:35 PM
This is purely speculation and may be a bit far-fetched, but... in terms of storyline, since Humans supposedly created the other races, perhaps Beasts weren't "invented" during the course of PSO's timeline? Perhaps they used some of the data gained from studying De Rol Le being able to mutate other monsters (lol "Altered BEASTS")? Might explain why Beasts are able to Nanoblast and change form. :confused:

Also, in PSU, wasn't there mention of a long war between each of the races? I didn't follow PSU's storyline too closely, but I vaguely remember something along the lines of a 200-Year War or something that was ended by the Tripartite Agreement, or something related to the Parum Unity Event... I can't remember exactly. Perhaps PSO2's storyline will relate to this event somehow?

Yeah, but you can't use PSU's story for that. It clearly says in PSU that NEWMANS were the most recent race to be created. And that beasts were created to be slave workers on Moatoob.

Tetsaru
Sep 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but you can't use PSU's story for that. It clearly says in PSU that NEWMANS were the most recent race to be created. And that beasts were created to be slave workers on Moatoob.

Well, if that's true (also, just curious when/where in the storyline it says that... sorry if I didn't care much for PSU's story), then where were Beasts in PSO? Were they not allowed on Pioneer 2? Were they on Pioneer 1, perhaps? Does PSU's events take place before or after the events of PSO?? I'm just trying to draw a continuity line between PSO and PSU here, futile as that may be, lol.

Aumi
Sep 20, 2010, 12:51 PM

Blasphemy! CAST supremacy! Yeah... I'd be pretty disappointed if CASTs were to be removed. Luckily that is extremely unlikely. And I hope Beasts will stay, I personally liked them.

Besides, instead of removing them, why not just balance them better instead?

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 20, 2010, 02:43 PM
Why the hell do you guys want tie in's with PSU? Wow if they can somehow make beast fit in,but no events,none of that garbage that was in PSU,sure let the beast roam free,I wont be playing as one,but no tie in's with PSU please. Also keep CAST AWAY FROM PSO2.

BIG OLAF
Sep 20, 2010, 04:37 PM
Why the hell do you guys want tie in's with PSU?

Because some of us, including myself, actually enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) PSU for what it was, and didn't shake our fists at the sky in rage because it wasn't exactly like PSO. (Blasphemy, I know!!)

EDIT: I actually might be so bold as to say that, after playing PSO and PSU, I still liked PSU better. Which I did. (Even more blasphemy, I know!)

Also keep CAST AWAY FROM PSO2.

What the hell did you think "androids" were in the first PSO? Just curious.

FOkyasuta
Sep 20, 2010, 06:29 PM

Androids Were Casts. =3 But I Like Androids Better. Bulit In Trap Vision,Cant Be Paralyzed Nor Poisoned And Could Use Traps.

Alexandria
Sep 20, 2010, 07:24 PM
Well, if that's true (also, just curious when/where in the storyline it says that... sorry if I didn't care much for PSU's story), then where were Beasts in PSO? Were they not allowed on Pioneer 2? Were they on Pioneer 1, perhaps? Does PSU's events take place before or after the events of PSO?? I'm just trying to draw a continuity line between PSO and PSU here, futile as that may be, lol.

Not sure, but they say it several times in story mode on both PSU and PSP2. It's even the reason they call them NEWmans. :P

TheAstarion
Sep 20, 2010, 08:34 PM
CASTs are a super-upgraded form of the old Androids; in being more organic, they could show emotion (if they wanted to), and even use techs.

The trade-off is that they can be given status afflictions common to the other races too. Poison, paralysis, etc. The trap/search ability was taken off them but given to Protranser; no reason why a seasoned trapping veteran wouldn't have a trap sense I guess.

There's no indication as to which races were created first... it's assumed Androids and Synths (as they're called in PSP2) came first for manual labour, then Newmans (as an experiment to increase photonic control... they don't seem to have been subjugated as much as the other races), then true CASTs emerged, understandably didn't like the labour, so they started the war.

Beasts seem to be the answer to the rebel CAST problem; they can be bio-engineered for the new resource-rich planet Moatoob, released on the surface and kept as slaves. Strip-mine a previously uninhabitable planet for war provisions. They probably won't rebel, right? Right? Oh, they can tap into their biomonster DNA and go mental? And they don't like being slaves either? Hm, this is gonna be a long war.

Humanity got lucky in the PSUniverse, as soon as the CASTs won the war, they just took control and ran Parum with logic and reason. Sure there were grudges but as far as the CASTs were concerned, "Why are they so annoyed at our superiority? We ARE superior, they BUILT us that way. Stupid meatbags. Here, have a well-paid job and comfortable life, then shut up and leave us to do our jobs."

I think at some point it was stated that newmans just ended up on Neudaiz as soon as interplanetary flight was possible. Whether they ecaped, or just decided to get away from the impending war, or were discarded as a failed experiment when their physical prowess was lower than a basic human (Who wants a servant that's weaker than they are? Smarter too...), it's unknown. They do, however, build a temple around where they first landed, and have basically been xenophobic to a fault, ruling the entire planet through religion, and spreading said religion to the other areas as their only real form of diplomacy. That's what I read into it anyway. When was the last Light Master or Divine Maiden anything but a pureblood Newman? We don't know... anyone can believe in the Holy Light, but it seems only Newmans make it into the COG heirarchy.

...this turned into a rant that nobody'll read. Good times!

•Col•
Sep 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
Whoa... I wouldve expected a lot more people here to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, or at least vaguely know the story....... To everyone trying to connect PSO to PSU.... Just no. They're doing it in Infinity.

Anyway... In PSP2, in the first chapter, it is revealed that Humans were created by an Ancient race and put on the planets to evolve and basically terraform the planets, because the ancients couldnt survive on the planets' harsh climates. Thousands of years later..... In PSU, it says that Humans created Newmans and Beasts, and Casts were the natural evolution of technology...

So yeah... Beasts WERE NOT created on Pioneer 2 or Ragol or whatever. The people of PSU are not decedents of the characters of PSO. There is no connection whatsoever. The only connection that I could see, is that maybe the evil ancient race is actually the people of Pioneer 2... But even then, the early humans of Gurhal were created from the DNA of one person, and had no contact to the ancient race whatsoever...

But yeah, as much I want Beasts to return.... If PSO2 is around the same time as PSO1, then it just wouldnt make any sense at all for Beasts to be in it...

Alexandria
Sep 20, 2010, 09:23 PM
The only connection that I could see, is that maybe the evil ancient race is actually the people of Pioneer 2...

Spoilers. They're not. Mika already says in PSP2 that the Ancients were only humans, or at least their equivalents. They actually ask her if there were other races like there are today, and she says no.

•Col•
Sep 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
Spoilers. They're not. Mika already says in PSP2 that the Ancients were only humans, or at least their equivalents. They actually ask her if there were other races like there are today, and she says no.

I didnt exactly mean that the citizens of Pioneer 2 were the people who created the new race of humans, but that their decedents and after many years of evolution, became the ancient race.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 20, 2010, 11:34 PM
Because some of us, including myself, actually enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) PSU for what it was, and didn't shake our fists at the sky in rage because it wasn't exactly like PSO. (Blasphemy, I know!!)

EDIT: I actually might be so bold as to say that, after playing PSO and PSU, I still liked PSU better. Which I did. (Even more blasphemy, I know!)

All of them weren't classified as CAST I do know that,save that shit for PSU,this is PSO2 something entirely different hopefully.I'm Hoping they stick with the races original names.Like Humar,Hucast etc.(I do not want anything related to that crap game in PSO2,just sayin.(Cast existed in the PSU universe,they where the all of the android RACE names put into one specified race *CAST*even though there where the same thing,the name was also apart of the PSU story line,which PSO is not,so I'm sure the androids will make it into game,just without the name CAST.(THIS IS PHANASTY STAR ONLINE NOT PHANASTY STAR UNIVERSE OK.)

Seth Astra
Sep 20, 2010, 11:40 PM
They were casts in PSZ, and honestly, I like the name casts. Androids sounds too generic.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 20, 2010, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=TheAstarion;2543162]CASTs are a super-upgraded form of the old Androids; in being more organic, they could show emotion (if they wanted to), and even use techs.

The trade-off is that they can be given status afflictions common to the other races too. Poison, paralysis, etc. The trap/search ability was taken off them but given to Protranser; no reason why a seasoned trapping veteran wouldn't have a trap sense I guess.

There's no indication as to which races were created first... it's assumed Androids and Synths (as they're called in PSP2) came first for manual labour, then Newmans (as an experiment to increase photonic control... they don't seem to have been subjugated as much as the other races), then true CASTs emerged, understandably didn't like the labour, so they started the war.

Beasts seem to be the answer to the rebel CAST problem; they can be bio-engineered for the new resource-rich planet Moatoob, released on the surface and kept as slaves. Strip-mine a previously uninhabitable planet for war provisions. They probably won't rebel, right? Right? Oh, they can tap into their biomonster DNA and go mental? And they don't like being slaves either? Hm, this is gonna be a long war.

Humanity got lucky in the PSUniverse, as soon as the CASTs won the war, they just took control and ran Parum with logic and reason. Sure there were grudges but as far as the CASTs were concerned, "Why are they so annoyed at our superiority? We ARE superior, they BUILT us that way. Stupid meatbags. Here, have a well-paid job and comfortable life, then shut up and leave us to do our jobs."

I think at some point it was stated that newmans just ended up on Neudaiz as soon as interplanetary flight was possible. Whether they ecaped, or just decided to get away from the impending war, or were discarded as a failed experiment when their physical prowess was lower than a basic human (Who wants a servant that's weaker than they are? Smarter too...), it's unknown. They do, however, build a temple around where they first landed, and have basically been xenophobic to a fault, ruling the entire planet through religion, and spreading said religion to the other areas as their only real form of diplomacy. That's what I read into it anyway. When was the last Light Master or Divine Maiden anything but a pureblood Newman? We don't know... anyone can believe in the Holy Light, but it seems only Newmans make it into the COG heirarchy.

...this turned into a rant that nobody'll read. Good times![/QUOT
This is my point exactly CAST ONLY FITS IN THE PSU STORY LINE.So I'm guessing a return of the old names will be available in PSO2.Also to clear things up,I know Hucast and the android races where the CAST,I'm just saying it's a high chance they wont be called CAST in PSO.;-)

FOkyasuta
Sep 20, 2010, 11:45 PM
I Dont Really Care As Long As I Hear HUcast. =3

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 20, 2010, 11:47 PM
They were casts in PSZ, and honestly, I like the name casts. Androids sounds too generic.

They weren't called androids in PSO,there where the Humar,Hucast,HUcaseal,HUnewearl,RAcaseal,RAcast,RA mar,RAmarl,FOmar,FOmarl,FOnewearl,FOnewm.These are all the race and class names for PSO.(They sound waay better.But if they call em CAST or whatever wont matter to me,as long as they dont add beast,I'm good.Unless they can fit it in somehow.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
I Dont Really Care As Long As I Hear HUcast. =3

I want them to keep like PSO,and not that sad excuse for a sequel.:-P

Seth Astra
Sep 20, 2010, 11:51 PM
Really? Sounded like you were arguing against calling them casts. But whatever. Either way, I just think beasts should stay back in Gurhal.

FOkyasuta
Sep 20, 2010, 11:51 PM

Or HUcastal For That Matter. ;)

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 21, 2010, 12:02 AM
Really? Sounded like you were arguing against calling them casts. But whatever. Either way, I just think beasts should stay back in Gurhal.

If they can fit them in sure,or have a race thats similar to beast,they wont call them beast.(They might call them Bumar or something,or Bucast,I have no idea.I'm sure there keeping all of the old names, for the fans.;-)(I dont know how they would fit Beast in.)Since they never mentioned them in PSO before.So yeah they should just stay back in PSU.(I really dont want anything related to that game to come in PSO2.)

FOkyasuta
Sep 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
If they can fit them in sure,or have a race thats similar to beast,they wont call them beast.(They might call them Bumar or something,or Bucast,I have no idea.I'm sure there keeping all of the old names, for the fans.;-)(I dont know how they would fit Beast in.)Since they never mentioned them in PSO before.

Bleh This Means The Will Probaly Squeeze All That AOTI Stuff Out Of PSU... Makeing It Stay Online Longer...

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 21, 2010, 12:14 AM
Bleh This Means The Will Probaly Squeeze All That AOTI Stuff Out Of PSU... Makeing It Stay Online Longer...

I wont miss beast,will you?

BIG OLAF
Sep 21, 2010, 12:44 AM

I've gotta say, I've seen some PSU hatred, but nothing like you've got there, buddy. You one of them "PSO is better than everything!!" elitists, or do you actually have a good, valid reason(s) for disliking PSU? I mean, everyone's entitled to opinions, but you just seem to throw around random hate without making any point to actually explain what made PSU such "garbage".

EDIT: Oh, and PSU wasn't a "sequel" to PSO. I'm quite certain that Sega never used the phrase "sequel to PSO" when PSU was being advertised. It was simply just another game in the Phantasy Star franchise. Was Halo: ODST a direct sequel to Halo 3, even though it was released afterwards? Nope. It was just another game in the Halo franchise.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 21, 2010, 01:10 AM
I've gotta say, I've seen some PSU hatred, but nothing like you've got there, buddy. You one of them "PSO is better than everything!!" elitists, or do you actually have a good, valid reason(s) for disliking PSU? I mean, everyone's entitled to opinions, but you just seem to throw around random hate without making any point to actually explain what made PSU such "garbage".

EDIT: Oh, and PSU wasn't a "sequel" to PSO. I'm quite certain that Sega never used the phrase "sequel to PSO" when PSU was being advertised. It was simply just another game in the Phantasy Star franchise. Was Halo: ODST a direct sequel to Halo 3, even though it was released afterwards? Nope. It was just another game in the Halo franchise.

Hey hey slow down there,I dont hate the game.I actually enjoyed it the first few months playing,but after awhile it gave off that meh feeling,and then my subscription ran out and I stopped playing all together.(I just dont want PSO2 to go down the same road as PSU,I was actually thinking of just getting a PSP just for PSP2 since it's the last addition to the PSU series.)I would love to see the ending to it.)I will enjoy every second of it.:-P (I could give alot of reasons on why this game didn't appeal to me like it's predecessor.)But I'm sure alot of people should know why I didn't like it,and I dont want to bash the game anymore really.

BIG OLAF
Sep 21, 2010, 01:23 AM
Hey hey slow down there,I dont hate the game.I actually enjoyed it the first few months playing,but after awhile it gave off that meh feeling,and then my subscription ran out and I stopped playing all together.

I can see that. Truth be told, since playing PSP2, PSU has left me with a "meh" feeling, as well. I'll still be playing the updates when they come, but as for casual playing, it's probably going to be a while before PSU gets any lengthy attention from me again.

coreyblueexclusive
Sep 21, 2010, 01:41 AM
I can see that. Truth be told, since playing PSP2, PSU has left me with a "meh" feeling, as well. I'll still be playing the updates when they come, but as for casual playing, it's probably going to be a while before PSU gets any lengthy attention from me again.

If I still had the CD,I probably still play,but I'm currently getting a burst of nostalgia from Blue Burst,I never did reach the end of episode 4,I was level 180 at the time.Stopped playing PSU around level 130 ish..

TheAstarion
Sep 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Well maybe they'll be called Cyborgs and Ferals, fact is newmans will always be space elves, andriods and CASTs will always be robo people, and beasts, if they return, will still be varying degrees of furry.

Beasts are the answer to the "Ganondorf" concept art for a HUnewm in PSO terms, being big and buff and tanned, not to mention angry holding an axe. Now, along comes PSZero and HUnewm is basically Hyuga Ryght.

Hopefully there'll be either more classes than PSO/PSP2, in which case race/class combos should be dynamic like in PSU... or do away with the rigid class system altogether and be able to create a class from scratch, putting in as much or as little of each archetype as you wish.

TL;DR - here's hoping for HUnewearl style gameplay on our own terms, for each race. Smack smackety smack heal smack.

Omega-z
Sep 22, 2010, 12:27 AM
Beast are just bio-engineered Mukcat`s and all the story`s fit into too each other also think multi-paradox that good old Falz`s started... a.k.a history repeats itself in a parallel of similarity. Heh can some one hit the restart button, Oh it you Falz; Nuclear Launch Detected...The end of the world as we know and I feel fine:)

Sinue_v2
Sep 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
Oh, and PSU wasn't a "sequel" to PSO. I'm quite certain that Sega never used the phrase "sequel to PSO" when PSU was being advertised.

Well, it was strongly implied when it was first announced. But then again, it was also strongly implied that PSU would be Phantasy Star V. I'm pretty sure Sega's always more or less portrayed PSU as a sequel to the franchise first and foremost, and a "spiritual successor" to PSO, even if not a direct and explicit sequel.

Yeah, he's wrong is calling PSU a sequel to PSO... but that's the kind of error that's cloaked in half-truths and can, in a manner, be argued for within certain limitations.

Also, Halo: ODST at least kept within a consistent and (mostly) coherent storyline within an already established storyarch. It's not really the same situation as PSU which creates it's own unique metaphysical cosmology utterly independent of other Phantasy Star mythos. It's an addendum to Halo 2 & Halo 3, rather than a direct sequel or unique and independent game under a generalized "Halo" banner.

Also, I can't fault anyone for criticizing or flaming PSU after the diatribes that I've gone on here. Though I prefer criticisms to be fair and grounded in a valid point, sometimes it's easier just to sling an insult representing that whole series of arguments if you're not a fan of typing like I am. And I don't really care what his specific grievances are... as it's all been said before too many times, and at this stage in PSU's life, it's fairly pointless.

Oh, and on-topic... I'm not a fan of Beasts. Sega can bury them with PSU for all I care. I'm more in favor of actually having alien races from space in my outer space sci-fi RPGs. Dezolians and Motavians would be my favorite pick for additional races, but totally new alien races wouldn't be bad so long as they're implemented properly. I'm a little burned out on Star Trek "Humans with funny ears" syndrome.

fact is newmans will always be space elves

Since PSO on, yeah. They'll probably be nothing more than space elves from here on out either. Originally, though, they were more Catgirl trope than Space Elves. Nei's tail got bobbed by Tohru Yoshida shortly before finalizing the her design, and her magical skills are more a reflection of her character theme (mostly being sacrifice, and two of her unique techs are ones that kill her in order to heal the party). She wasn't really a strong techer (neither was Rika), but it slanted that way early in the game due to her role as "babysitter" before more permanent members like Amy joins and lvl up. She's also a direct character archetype of Myau from PSI, though her Biomonster heritage is not stated. HUnewearls in PSO were an extension of this classic archetype, which is why the token HUnewearl in v.1 was Sue who used claws. Neiclaw, specifically.

I still think the switch to "space elves" was a bad move meant more to accommodate the prevailing "Pointy Eared Spellcaster" roles that much of their new targeted audience was already well accustomed to from other games and media. Plus, and more importantly, it also helped to facilitate the balancing (lol) of the HU/RA/FO classes and races.

Since most of the Phantasy Star fanbase now are starting from PSO & PSU, there is no real impetus for returning Numans to the role of agile close-combat fighters with support-technique focus. So space elves, they will remain.

Sinue_v2
Sep 25, 2010, 11:16 AM

I think that's pretty close to it... but the CAST rebellion wasn't just a labor issue. They were fighting for their recognition as sentient beings deserving of all the rights and privileges that humans were afforded. CASTs were fighting against a system which saw them as merely sophisticated automatons to be used and discarded as any other tool.

Moatoob was a lush and vibrant planet when the Beasts were created. It only became a wasteland after extensive mining and long periods of prolonged warfare, which destroyed it's moon and changed it's climate. Yeah, they were fighting for their freedom from slavery, but when they were first put to work - I think they were predominantly feral forms. Their "NanoBlast" form was their normal physical form. So at the time they were used as "Beasts of Burden" - they really were more like feral creatures than humans. Over the years, the engineered mutations which sustain their beast form have muted and become dilute. Most Beasts can only Nanoblast for short periods of time when sufficiently aggravated, but a growing number of them cannot use their nanoblast form at all.

If you go back to the PSU script here or on PSUpedia, you should find the dialog over several chapters describing the whole nanoblast backstory thing. One of the Beasts on the G.Colony explains it all. I'm wanting to say it's Gapard Raz, but I'm not sure.

I think at some point it was stated that newmans just ended up on Neudaiz as soon as interplanetary flight was possible. Whether they ecaped, or just decided to get away from the impending war, or were discarded as a failed experiment

Well, being engineered for photon sensitivity, it makes a kind of sense that they would colonize and entrench themselves on the planet with the highest levels of photon activity, especially since they even took it so far as to found a religion on it. Kind of like Moths worshiping a lightbulb. Technically, they are supposed to be not only smarter than humans, but more agile due to an accelerated nervous system. In game, this amounts to jack-shit since Newmans get no speed boost to melee or casting by which to accentuate this trait.

ruling the entire planet through religion, and spreading said religion to the other areas as their only real form of diplomacy.

Theocracy. Essentially, there's little difference between Rutsu and Ayatollah Khomeini. Holy Light theology is slightly less authoritarian... but that didn't stop Rutsu from using his piety to justify allowing Moatoob and Parum to burn with SeeD invasion while using the LSS to protect Neudaiz. That's called a "Dick Move", and probably accessory to Genocide. So all told, Rutsu is even worse than Khomeini so far. Now THAT'S xenophobia and arrogance done proper.

...this turned into a rant that nobody'll read.

I've read it, and I raise you another "wtf, I'm not reading all that".

But yeah, as much I want Beasts to return.... If PSO2 is around the same time as PSO1, then it just wouldnt make any sense at all for Beasts to be in it...

Why would it matter? Numans have been in all three series and have three unique genesis points, none of which connect to each other. PS Numans were created by Mother Brain's Biosystems lab, and arguably by us Earthlings, as a disposable biosoldier to suppliment our invasion of Algol. In PSO, Newmans were created by Jean Carlo Montegue (don't ask, it doesn't make any sense) and Osto Hoyle as preliminary research into the initial stages of the Mother Project. In PSU, they're just like living super-intelligent geiger counters... except sensitive to photons. They were a "superior breed of human" in that they're basically living lab equipment; created to help unravel the mysteries of photon energy.

Casts, similarly, have different genesis stories... and while PSO's human origins aren't explained, PS's humans and PSU's humans have similar - but different - origins. The ancients who built the confinement system and fought Dark Falz created humanity as their legacy in PSU. In PS, Humans were created by the direct hand of God, the Holy Light, and tasked as guardians and protectors of Palma. The light also created Motavians and Dezolians on their own respective planets to preform the same task there. They were to make sure the Profound Darkness's seal was never broken, and if it was, it was they were to destroy it before it escaped.

So why couldn't Beasts be in PSO2? Just make up some BS story about a few low ranking provincials aligned with the revel Arkz on Ragol who had occasional "rendezvous" with the local wildlife which one day resulted in a bastard child hybrid that was retard strong and quick to anger. The Pioneer 2 shadow government saw yet another potential weapon they could produce, because you know... killing thousands of your own people and releasing a god of destruction, befowling the planet from colonization for decades is a small price to pay for a new gun. Or a playing card with a gun drawn on it.

Besides... Beasts are already the spiritual successors to Motavians from the original PS series. So if you wanted to split hairs, PSU is actually their second appearance in a way. (Dezolians were kind of smudged with Newmans to specialize them more and clarify the roles each race specialized in. They didn't get the leathery green skin, but the whole religious angle for Newmans in PSU was directly inspired by Dezolian culture in PSIV.)

I not particularly fond of the filthy hairlips, and I wouldn't miss them if they weren't in PSO2. But still... there's no reason why they couldn't be practically cut & pasted right over, with just a little tweak to the story to explain where this new race originated.

but that their decedents and after many years of evolution

But as Alexandria said, the ancients were pretty much human (or equivalent) themselves. I don't understand, technology aside, what makes them so much more advanced beyond PSO humans that you would need to invoke evolution. Then again, I don't really understand why an already pretty much human race would create a new race that was itself human, but modified. Wouldn't the ancients then be to humans pretty much what humans are to Newmans? A race, a strain, a sub-species at best. Spoil away if you know, because I don't have a PSP or plan on getting one anytime soon.

Come to think of it, PS classic humans were around for millions of years without evolving in the slightest. But, on the other hand, they were created by the very hand of god for a divine purpose... which would make creationism actually true for them. And, as every good creationist knows, evolution is just a lie made up by the Profound Darkness to spread confusion and make the protectors of Algol forget their purpose. Microevolution is true tho, but it can only produce small variation within different "kinds" of monsters (blue slime, red slime, green slime)... but a Dezo Penguin would never be able to have evolved from a sand worm. :)

Omega-z
Sep 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
Had an Idea what if they add a race pallet that was like a color pallet which you can mix your character (like your Bio engineering your own person). Then you could add all the races in it and mix and match them too your hearts content. then have the stats be how you mixed it or didn't but any other stats be on how you raised it like during mission,leveling,etc.. that way everybody's characters would custom and different to there own way of life, Thoughts?:)

BIG OLAF
Sep 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
Had an Idea what if they add a race pallet that was like a color pallet which you can mix your character (like your Bio engineering your own person). Then you could add all the races in it and mix and match them too your hearts content. then have the stats be how you mixed it or didn't but any other stats be on how you raised it like during mission,leveling,etc.. that way everybody's characters would custom and different to there own way of life, Thoughts?:)

I think that would be kind of confusing, and characters would be unfair, in a way. Someone who's good at Hunter, Ranger, and Force? Everyone would make the exact same character build, I think.

•Col•
Sep 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
So why couldn't Beasts be in PSO2? Just make up some BS story about a few low ranking provincials aligned with the revel Arkz on Ragol who had occasional "rendezvous" with the local wildlife which one day resulted in a bastard child hybrid that was retard strong and quick to anger. The Pioneer 2 shadow government saw yet another potential weapon they could produce, because you know... killing thousands of your own people and releasing a god of destruction, befowling the planet from colonization for decades is a small price to pay for a new gun. Or a playing card with a gun drawn on it.

Notice I said if it takes place around the same time as PSO1, it wouldnt make sense.... I meant if like, PSO2 only takes place 5-10 years after PSO1... How would it make sense for 20-50 year old Beast people to be running around then?

Unless like...... The monsters on Ragol got REALLY mutated... XD But that just seems a little too much BS to me... If PSO2 took place like a hundred or so years after PSO1, then yeah I could definitely see them creating another race like Beasts....

But yeah, I WANT Beasts to return, obviously... I made this thread, after all... But like I said, any reason aside from aliens or some time-traveling or something really crazy.... It just wouldn't make any sense for Beasts to be there if PSO2 takes place shortly after PSO1.

But as Alexandria said, the ancients were pretty much human (or equivalent) themselves. I don't understand, technology aside, what makes them so much more advanced beyond PSO humans that you would need to invoke evolution. Then again, I don't really understand why an already pretty much human race would create a new race that was itself human, but modified. Wouldn't the ancients then be to humans pretty much what humans are to Newmans? A race, a strain, a sub-species at best. Spoil away if you know, because I don't have a PSP or plan on getting one anytime soon.

Well...

[SPOILER-BOX]Mika, the ancient spirit inside of Emilia(PSP2's protagonist), tells you that the ancient race's planet became uninhabitable because of Dark Falz, so they went out and found the Gurhal System... But the planets were too harsh for them to live on for whatever reason... I think it had something to do with some sort of photons or something... Anyway, they decided to create humans and put them on the planets, so that they could evolve over time to fit the environments, and eventually, the ancients could just take the humans' bodies for their own and live on the planets...

And yes, the ancient race was very similiar to humans, because the first humans were actually modeled after one of the ancients(Mika). One key difference though... They had gotten to the point that they were bodiless entities, lol... Hence why they would be able to take the humans' bodies after they put them in Gurhal...

Also, Mika says in the game that in the past, there was only one "race", meaning that Newmans were either long dead, or they interbreeded with humans and eventually faded out...

So yeah... With there being only one race, and that "race" being a bunch of bodiless entities.... It only makes sense that if the ancient race had a connection to the people of Pioneer 2, it was LONG after PSO....... [/SPOILER-BOX]

Ugh.... No thanks....... That would complicate things too much. Sega has already stated that they're aiming to make THOROUGH racial balances, and being able to mix all the races together would just get too messy....

Zipzo
Sep 26, 2010, 04:40 AM
I don't wanna see beasts return. In fact, I don't wanna see anything PSU-related in another Phantasy Star game at all.This.

10 friggin' chars.

TheAstarion
Sep 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
Spoiler Theory

Well, what if... and this is a big if... rather than humans and newmans breeding out their differences... maybe hyper-advanced androids are the genetic destiny of a 3-race society. If you could create replicant droids with the genetic level of detail of a human, able to be born, learn, grow, etc... Maybe that's what the Ancients are. And maybe they don't even realise it after so many generations... a little like how certain modern races are actually a result of generations of interracial breeding and genetic dilution. Perhaps their ability to separate their essences from their long-dead bodies is a result of them essentially being a bio-program... and their ability to inhabit living beings is a tide-over from them being descended from their own genetic material.

And perhaps, in that vein, the creation of newmans was more of a case of looking at the DNA, seeing dormant strands, and isolating them. Same for CASTs, but with the majority of interchangeable mechanical parts, crude by "Ancient" standards but extremely advanced by PSO and especially PSU's combat mech standards.

That's one way of looking at it, I suppose. No massive reason why not, right? If Falz returns every thousand years like in the old PS series, that's easily enough time for Ragol technology to advance to that point. Or even Coral, the original world the Pioneer folk are from, which is confirmed in one of the postgame quests to have been the name of "earth" in PSZero. Though they were set into a dark age by Mother Brai- uh, Mother Trinity, so it'd take quite a bit longer for that.

jaws1475
Sep 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
Well, what if... and this is a big if... rather than humans and newmans breeding out their differences... maybe hyper-advanced androids are the genetic destiny of a 3-race society. If you could create replicant droids with the genetic level of detail of a human, able to be born, learn, grow, etc... Maybe that's what the Ancients are. And maybe they don't even realise it after so many generations... a little like how certain modern races are actually a result of generations of interracial breeding and genetic dilution. Perhaps their ability to separate their essences from their long-dead bodies is a result of them essentially being a bio-program... and their ability to inhabit living beings is a tide-over from them being descended from their own genetic material.

And perhaps, in that vein, the creation of newmans was more of a case of looking at the DNA, seeing dormant strands, and isolating them. Same for CASTs, but with the majority of interchangeable mechanical parts, crude by "Ancient" standards but extremely advanced by PSO and especially PSU's combat mech standards.

That's one way of looking at it, I suppose. No massive reason why not, right? If Falz returns every thousand years like in the old PS series, that's easily enough time for Ragol technology to advance to that point. Or even Coral, the original world the Pioneer folk are from, which is confirmed in one of the postgame quests to have been the name of "earth" in PSZero. Though they were set into a dark age by Mother Brai- uh, Mother Trinity, so it'd take quite a bit longer for that.

if that true then ryfross come out even 1,000 yrs to reminad them of there true mission to deafeat the profound drakness and many case phantasy 4 explina this this back on the 16 bit game

if go by the endindind of phantasy star 2 there was many ships that left the algo sytem which could bring to a number of possplie
in phantasy 3 you went to the planet carol at the endind of the game cut scence

jaws1475
Sep 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
]
[QUOTE=jaws1475;2548143][code]Well, what if... and this is a big if... rather than humans and newmans breeding out their differences... maybe hyper-advanced androids are the genetic destiny of a 3-race society. If you could create replicant droids with the genetic level of detail of a human, able to be born, learn, grow, etc... Maybe that's what the Ancients are. And maybe they don't even realise it after so many generations... a little like how certain modern races are actually a result of generations of interracial breeding and genetic dilution. Perhaps their ability to separate their essences from their long-dead bodies is a result of them essentially being a bio-program... and their ability to inhabit living beings is a tide-over from them being descended from their own genetic material.

if that true then ryfross come out even 1,000 yrs to reminad them of there true mission to deafeat the profound drakness and many case phantasy 4 explina this this back on the 16 bit game

if go by the endindind of phantasy star 2 there was many ships that left the algo sytem which could bring to a number of possplie
in phantasy 3 you went to the planet carol at the endind of the game cut scence[

alphafemale81
Sep 27, 2010, 10:21 PM
IMHO

Every good MMO needs a solo race. I hate to bring up WOW, but it's the only other MMO I've ever played....

A lot of players are/ were (I donno' anymore, because I haven't played WOW for a while) prejudice against hunters. The reason had to do with their pet advantage---it is like controlling two chars at once. The pet takes all of the agro (tanks), while the hunter stands back and DPSes/ damages the crap out of enemies, from a distance. Also, there is this stupid assumption that hunters can't control their pets on raids, and are often asked to put them away.

I digress...

Beasts are tanks, for the most part. They are also a good solo char, because of nanoblast. But I can hardly think of a time when going into beast form really turned the tides all that much for me---it's just a convenience, when you play by yourself. I happen to think beast form is (for the most part) pretty ineffective against high level bosses. You can't heal, and a lot of times the boss is strong enough to do massive damage, anyway---so there are many times when I don't even use it. Mother Brain comes to mind. It's dumb luck if she keeps her bubble shield down for long enough to attack her, while in beast form. Plus, if you get stuck in her bubble, you're f-ed anyway.

Everyone gets PMs. If you ask me, a strong PM is the best advantage a player can have in PSU.

I don't know too much about the history behind Phantasy Star Universe, but I do think a good MMO should have at least a half a dozen characters/ races to choose from, which are carefully balanced by the game designers, and offer players at least one option that matches their preferred playing style.

Overall, I hope beasts show up in the next game---maybe only for nostalgic reasons, but beasts seem to best suit my playing style, too. I also hope there are more than three races to choose from.

Angelo
Sep 29, 2010, 07:57 AM
They will most likely be in PSO2.

Remember that in Japan there's not as much 'Baaawww' from the PSO-nostalgia crowd about how much they hate every thing that is PSU.

The concept of Beasts are generally liked all around. Plus. don't forget that the 'big hairy guy with an axe' concept has been tossed around since PSO's concept art that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gallery/pso/hunewm.gif

Besides, the title itself (Phantasy Star Online 2) was most likely used to generate hype both locally and in the west. I highly doubt it will even take place on Ragol, especially since doing so would cause the timeline to go backwards from the Gurhal series. I would put my money on it continuing forward.

Omega-z
Oct 2, 2010, 01:28 PM
yeah Big Olaf I was wondering about that too, yes It would be complex. and I had thought about everyone using same build. the thing is that the stats would have to be all important, just not 1 stat and instead of having just the stats that race build that you start with like you can have influence points which you gain through in-game experience, which includes weapons, spells, armor etc until you reach level 50 which can change your out come little by little and by your experience in-game. by doing so the class you gain at 50 could be Brawler or Berserker or Warrior or Paladin or Fighter or Protector ..... etc. even if two Hunters fought in the same mission they could be different based on how they did or what they did in the mission, if they played more solo or grouped and how long they played in-game and how many times they played at all. No one will have the same character or same type of stats except for look(maybec) and class name. Complex huh lol, thoughts?