PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online 2 Announcement!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike
Sep 15, 2010, 08:43 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1308&pictureid=14962

Coming in 2011!

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 08:50 PM
FK YEAH!!!

Dhylec
Sep 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
Interesting. Now, we need more info & screens. ;o

Mike
Sep 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
That was a screen cap from the Sega TGS stream:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sega-tgs2010

The PSO part was not really much more than a teaser, but it's confirmation that there is a PSO2 in the works.

EDIT: Stream is down, likely in preperation for a presentation.

Shark11
Sep 15, 2010, 09:08 PM
Some info here:
http://www.segabits.com/?p=4309

Written in haste by me! Sorry, its 3AM and I'm excited.

doubleEXP
Sep 15, 2010, 09:09 PM
FINALLY!

This is what I've been waiting for!

Finally, the best video game of all time is getting a true sequel. Thank you Lords of the Universe!

Mike
Sep 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
There's still plenty of time for Sega to muck the whole thing up. Like Dhylec said, we need more screens and info. So far, it's still good news though.

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 09:16 PM
If They Do Then PSO Fans Will Run A Muck As Well.

doubleEXP
Sep 15, 2010, 09:16 PM
True, but it's not "Phantasy Star Universe 2.3.1.c-5-niner" and it's not "Phantasy Star Portable 3.7.a-beta-charlie-foxtrot"... it's PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2.

I've been waiting for this moment for years. I've become so tired of today's rpg's I'm currently playing my GC version again (and once again amazed at how far ahead of it's time PSO was).

So, until further notice, I will remain stoked and I will consider this news to be rad!

:)

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 09:19 PM
True, but it's not "Phantasy Star Universe 2.3.1.c-5-niner" and it's not "Phantasy Star Portable 3.7.a-beta-charlie-foxtrot"... it's PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2.

I've been waiting for this moment for years. I've become so tired of today's rpg's I'm currently playing my GC version again (and once again amazed at how far ahead of it's time PSO was).

So, until further notice, I will remain stoked and I will consider this news to be rad!

Couldn't Have Say'd It Better Myself.=3

doubleEXP
Sep 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
Couldn't Have Say'd It Better Myself.=3

Thanks! I can tell you know what I mean.
>HUcast Lv.100

Para
Sep 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
Heh when I saw the announcement... for some reason I wasn't surprised.

I had an idea it was coming. You look at PSP2.. the game is very polished and done very well. Like many people said, it takes what's good from PSO and PSU and packaged with the same amount of content PSU has.

Knowing that PSP2's gameplay is superior to PSU's and PSU being probably a bit too far in its lifetime for a huge revamp, logical choice was PSO2 or PSU2 in a sense.

One thing I hope is that they don't mess with the art style too much. I loved PSU's art style and how it evolved from PSU to PSP2i.

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks! I can tell you know what I mean.
>HUcast Lv.100

Still Play It Just Like You. HUnewearl. =3

DuRaL
Sep 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
sick!! but only for PC? is this a fact?

i want to see the teaser, but they're only showing ryuu ga gotaku stuff at the moment >_<

EGO-BOT
Sep 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
Awesome!

Ash1ey
Sep 15, 2010, 09:40 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd146/Ashley_Vendoc/500x_ridinghood.jpg

I am excited.

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd146/Ashley_Vendoc/500x_ridinghood.jpg

I am excited.
Damn Right.

JC10001
Sep 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
via Segabits.com....

http://www.segabits.com/?p=4309

http://www.segabits.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PSO2.jpg

So I’m watching Sega’s TGS live stream which currently is just playing trailers for their upcoming games while no press conference is going on. I was just happily playing it in the background as I catch up on some work while minding my own business.

Suddenly I head something that fills me with nostalgia and fond memories. Pioneer 2, Spread Needles, Rappys and beautiful Caves 3 come flooding back; It’s the main (vocal) theme of the original Phantasy Star Online! What the?

I quickly Alt-Tab to the stream and what do I see? Phantasy Star Online, the original, what is this? Then it shows PSOv2 and proceeds to go though each game in order of release right up to the very newest announced game, Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity. I’m excited about the game so I continued watching but that wasn’t all. Right at the end… My mind was blown.

Phantasy Star Online 2
Release: 2011
Known system: PC

Link to the stream (don't know if it will loop or not): http://tgs.sega.jp/2010/stream/#TGS_SEGA

EDIT: Link to trailer courtesy of Ezodagrom....

Teaser trailer can be seen here:
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2/

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Sep 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
Wow I really hope this is true.

All the related posts are from 9 years ago, people fantasizing what PSO2 would be like, haha.

I just hope the mag system is brought back and hopefully expanded.

Chris28
Sep 15, 2010, 09:47 PM
celebrate good times, cmon!

Taichi01
Sep 15, 2010, 09:47 PM
Yes! A game worth playing on my PC more than FFXIV.

ChaosAngel92
Sep 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
This......isn't......
This is a dream......

Nitro Vordex
Sep 15, 2010, 09:57 PM
A Muck
http://pokemondb.net/images/artwork/muk.png

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2010, 09:57 PM
Oh my...
Cannot wait. :3

doubleEXP
Sep 15, 2010, 09:59 PM
sick!! but only for PC? is this a fact?

i want to see the teaser, but they're only showing ryuu ga gotaku stuff at the moment >_<

Well, on that segabits link (http://www.segabits.com/?p=4309) it just says "Known system: PC" not that PC is the only system.

Personally, I'd prefer to play it on a console, but if it's on PC then I'll make sure my PC is up to snuff!

Arika
Sep 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
wow, definitely *big eyes*

now pick... JP or US ?

Micro
Sep 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
Oh hell.

doubleEXP
Sep 15, 2010, 10:03 PM

now pick... JP or US ?

I imported GC JP PSO and had a ton of fun, then switched to GC NA PSO when it came out 6 weeks later. If it's as easy to play PSO2 JP then I'll definitely import, that's for sure.

Ethateral
This will get interesting.

Kent
Cautious optimism, hoping they've learned from the mistake that is PSU.

ChaosAngel92
Sep 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Wow....now that's something its worth to celebrate.

I guess it's Team Sakai the one behind this (I hope, SEGA should fire the ones behind PSU).

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2010, 10:11 PM

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 10:12 PM

now pick... JP or US ?

Us. Im Not Part Japanese. Only 100% Pso Crazed.

Ethateral
Sep 15, 2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah... I'm excited to see more over time.

str898mustang
Sep 15, 2010, 10:20 PM
so assuming it's at the TGS, this game will come out first in Japan? (i've never watched TGS)

tim_pkmn89
Sep 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
so assuming it's at the TGS, this game will come out first in Japan? (i've never watched TGS)

No PSO game has come out in America first.

Ethateral
Sep 15, 2010, 10:23 PM

Anything showed at TGS will always come first in Japan, unless they state otherwise.

str898mustang
Sep 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
No PSO game has come out in America first.

aight just wondering.....time to import! (when it comes out there)

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Anything showed at TGS will always come first in Japan, unless they state otherwise.
There are games that are showed at TGS that are released first outside Japan, but anything announced at TGS will come out first there. ^^;

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
2 Words:

F*** YEAH/

unicorn
Sep 15, 2010, 10:31 PM
If its separated, then JP.

Blueblur
Sep 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
Today is a glorious day.

fronebullare
Sep 15, 2010, 10:37 PM
Although I wish I could have seen that with my own eyes, I'm thoroughly pleased with this. I just hope its not another handheld. Can't wait, I actually have something to look forward to in 2011.

Also, my quote has been used incorrectly:

If They Do Then PSO Fans Will Run A Muck As Well.

[spoiler-box]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/Frone/runamok.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Ethateral
Sep 15, 2010, 10:40 PM
There are games that are showed at TGS that are released first outside Japan, but anything announced at TGS will come out first there. ^^;

That's why I said "unless they state otherwise", silly. :P

Boxblaster
Sep 15, 2010, 10:52 PM
Well, with all the PSO stuff in latest Phantasy Star games, they weren't far off from PSO2 anyways. Regardless, this makes my decade (it better, anyways).

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
this on a scale of 1 - 10 is a 10000000000......000000..., i can't wait, this news is on par with what my excitement for a tales of Symphonia 3 would be, probably more actually... YEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2010, 10:54 PM
That's why I said "unless they state otherwise", silly. :P
Hmm, I really should have gone to sleep a few hours ago (but then I wouldn't have seen the news about PSO2). :3
Didn't notice the "unless stated otherwise" part. :<

Anon_Fire
Sep 15, 2010, 10:54 PM
I hope it's a worldwide release

Mike
Sep 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
It seems as WBMike has got the trailer up on his blog.

Seth Astra
Sep 15, 2010, 10:57 PM
Holy crap. This is making it hard to breath!

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 11:01 PM
Holy crap. This is making it hard to breath!
Bleh. You Never Know How It Feels.

PSO FTW.

GreenArcher
Sep 15, 2010, 11:04 PM
OH MY GOD PSO2 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME.

No but seriously.. WOOHOOO!!!

BIG OLAF
Sep 15, 2010, 11:07 PM
*head desk*

All is lost.

Freshellent
Sep 15, 2010, 11:08 PM
OH MY GOD PSO2 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME.

Calm the fux down Green, you'll hurt yourself again.

FOkyasuta
Sep 15, 2010, 11:09 PM

You Mean Her Voice Box Will Brake If She Doesn't? If Yes Then Ouch.

Mikura
Sep 15, 2010, 11:14 PM
And here I was just getting excited about playing PSP2 and now this bit of delicious news crops up. lol I felt like pinching myself after I saw the teaser trailer. I just can't believe they actually intend to make a new PSO game after all this time.

Arika
Sep 15, 2010, 11:49 PM
If the server JP/US are separate again.. I think we all should just go JP to merge them by ourselves.

Jaspaller
Sep 15, 2010, 11:50 PM
I'm holding my excitement until I see an actual gameplay video. I doubt I'll have any interest in it unless it's a console game (I'm honestly not much of a PC gamer...)

Apone
Sep 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
I wonder what the subscription model will be like? Monthly? Hourly? Free to play with micro transactions? I hope they answer those questions sooner than later.

ashley50
Sep 15, 2010, 11:54 PM
If the server JP/US are separate again.. I think we all should just go JP to merge them by ourselves.

Agreed.

unicorn
Sep 15, 2010, 11:54 PM
If they separate us, we really should boycott the potential US/EU servers.

Crysteon
Sep 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
If they separate us, we really should boycott the potential US/EU servers.

I will feign they never existed by importing to JP! D:

aozora
Sep 16, 2010, 12:21 AM
2011 is looking bright already!!!!!!! I'm ready for 2010 to be over with!!

DreXxiN
Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 AM
Shit my pants.

Hiero_Glyph
Sep 16, 2010, 01:27 AM
Does anyone really think that SEGA will learn from the mistakes of the past decade? Also, don't forget that PSO2 is going up against Bioware's The Old Republic MMO next year. To be honest I'm not really excited given the history that SEGA has with Phantasy Star and foreign servers.

Zarode
Sep 16, 2010, 01:28 AM
Finally. And it is PC only. They have finally learned their lesson, hard.

XbikXBd
Sep 16, 2010, 01:29 AM
Cant wait but i hope they will have a import feature for jp player because i want ma GC stuff lol or at least like the portable games like a incentive ;-)

Ethateral

Bolded is all we know for now. It's not released till whenever in 2011, so for all we know they might have plans for current-gen consoles.

XbikXBd

i dont kno about that maybe xbox and ps3 version maybe maybe........

Zarode
Sep 16, 2010, 01:31 AM
i dont kno about that maybe xbox and ps3 version maybe maybe........

For the love of god, Sega of Japan. Listen to me. Just make it PC only.

DreXxiN
Sep 16, 2010, 01:38 AM

This..

XbikXBd
Sep 16, 2010, 01:40 AM

lol sadly i dont see this they would lose money lol
apparently u dont kno segac

goldbrease
Sep 16, 2010, 01:50 AM
lol sadly i dont see this they would lose money lol
apparently u dont kno segac

the rumors ive heard is that console gaming is far more popular then pc gaming in japan, they get a bigger audiance with console support. this is just what ive heard people say, i don't know this for sure.

XbikXBd
Sep 16, 2010, 01:54 AM
the rumors ive heard is that console gaming is far more popular then pc gaming in japan, they get a bigger audiance with console support. this is just what ive heard people say, i don't know this for sure.

Air high five

goldbrease
Sep 16, 2010, 02:04 AM
Air high five

i take this as the rumors are true?
this brings up the bigger question of why blue burst was pc only and not on ps2.

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 02:11 AM
As someone who prefers the PC for online gaming, I'm glad to hear it's coming out for PC, but I'm not sure I get why making it available on other platforms would be a bad thing--could someone enlighten me on this?

That said, I'm glad to see PSO2 will be coming around. I agree with the others who hope that they've learned from PSU--but quite possibly unlike the others, I hope they've also learned what things in PSU turned out to be positives, like greater freedom of visual customization.

However, for those of you speculating on PSO2's western release putting it in competition with the Old Republic--stop worrying about it. Really. Just stop. What you're seeing is an advertised 2011 release for Japan. For us gaijin, that easily translates to a 2012 release, before taking into account any delays it experiences in its homeland.

XbikXBd
Sep 16, 2010, 02:12 AM
this brings up the bigger question of why blue burst was pc only and not on ps2.

Yesu for some god knows what reason when the new xbox came out over there people went gaga over it and as for blue burst i really dont kno

XbikXBd
Sep 16, 2010, 02:15 AM
As someone who prefers the PC for online gaming, I'm glad to hear it's coming out for PC, but I'm not sure I get why making it available on other platforms would be a bad thing--could someone enlighten me on this?

That said, I'm glad to see PSO2 will be coming around. I agree with the others who hope that they've learned from PSU--but quite possibly unlike the others, I hope they've also learned what things in PSU turned out to be positives, like greater freedom of visual customization.

However, for those of you speculating on PSO2's western release putting it in competition with the Old Republic--stop worrying about it. Really. Just stop. What you're seeing is an advertised 2011 release for Japan. For us gaijin, that easily translates to a 2012 release, before taking into account any delays it experiences in its homeland.

This,but if u look back psu came out with jp same time so maybe a slim hope for late 2011 or maybe 2-3 month delay

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 02:23 AM
This,but if u look back psu came out with jp same time so maybe a slim hope for late 2011 or maybe 2-3 month delay

And then experienced horrible delays with actually getting us post-release content, until it eventually got to the point that they really may as well just have released it a year later after all... but I digress. Now I recall why putting it on the PS3 would be a bad thing: Sony Computer Entertainment America, if I recall right, makes developers jump through hoops to release new content that the JP branch doesn't, and we all know how what SoA's hoop-jumping skills are like. In fact, SCEA's two-week testing requirement was one of their big reasons for very slow content delivery, or at least one of their big excuses--it's hard to tell sometimes.

That said, yeah, keep it the hell off the PS3. I don't want to have to wait for SoA to slowly drag its own lumpy, leaden ass through SCEA's hoops.

As for the year-later prediction, however, I just figured it would be more in line with recent releases than PSU's relatively quick three months. PSZ and PSP2 were both year-long waits.

Ceresa
Sep 16, 2010, 02:26 AM
Hope they stick with the solid gameplay mechanics of psp2/i and don't waste years of expansions and side games trying to perfect a new system, or worse, use the archaic PSO/Z stuff.

PC only is about time, seems like a dumbass move on their part, but whatever, it's better for the game.

RubyEclipse
Sep 16, 2010, 02:53 AM
Well, this is interesting. ;)

Tomeeboy
Sep 16, 2010, 03:01 AM
Well, this is interesting. ;)

Sneaky Sega, pulling another Phantasy Star game out of their sleeve :)

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 03:06 AM
I hate to be a buzzkill, but that's 2011 for the JP side. If the time gap between the JP and western releases follows the pattern set by PSZ and PSP2, we gaijin are looking at a 2012 release.

GHNeko
Sep 16, 2010, 03:11 AM
Hope they stick with the solid gameplay mechanics of psp2/i

or worse, use the archaic PSO/Z stuff.

>Sega Announces Phantasy Star ONLINE 2.
>Read someone say using PSO/Z style battle system is the worst choice.

wat.gif

>Re-read post for clarification.
>Read that they'D rather a PSP/I battle system for Phantasy Star ONLINE 2.

whatthefuckamireading.gif

Kion
Sep 16, 2010, 03:14 AM
I think PC only is a smart move. PSO private servers are still going on PC, and I don't knwo if blue burst is still around, but that lasted forever too. And the PS2/PC servers for PSU ended up becoming just the PC servers because of the PS2's hardware limitations. As for next generation consoles, it would be nice, but Microsoft and Sony are not going to let their servers be combined, and in different regions no less. PC signals to me that they want one platform they can focus on, update and have free control over. So hopefully we'll have combined servers with Japan.

slave2pso
Sep 16, 2010, 03:19 AM
If they could just combine PSO's darker atmosphere with PSU's gameplay and controls, I'd be fine.

XbikXBd
Sep 16, 2010, 03:23 AM
If they could just combine PSO's darker atmosphere with PSU's gameplay and controls, I'd be fine.

this and air high five

Powder Keg
Sep 16, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'm not excited in the least...the US release has potential to be handled poorly. Unless it was like PSO where a majority of everything was already available from the start. We'll see. I wouldn't get it on release.

Talwin
Sep 16, 2010, 03:34 AM
I'm still struggling to believe this is happening! Even with the rumors that have been going round!

I'm with Jaspaller, I'm waiting for game play videos before I get too excited. I'd also prefer it on a console than PC, but I'd take either :p

This is definately the most promising Phantasy Star news since PSO though!

Man, looking at Sega's line up for TGS... It should be dubbed "TSS" this year...

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 03:40 AM
I'm not excited in the least...the US release has potential to be handled poorly. Unless it was like PSO where a majority of everything was already available from the start. We'll see. I wouldn't get it on release.

Suffice it to say that is one thing we all hope they learned from PSU: do not attempt to drip feed us content that is already on the disc. Give us everything on the disc, then make actual new content for future updates.

DragonForce
Sep 16, 2010, 03:54 AM
Not really surrising. Most likely not gonna get it because for one it might be pc-only and two for it being released in japan before anywhere else, resulting in the increasing update gap as seen on PSU.

Quatre52
Sep 16, 2010, 04:00 AM
Id prefer it not being pc only....i plan to build a pc anyways, but I much rather play on consoles.

Powder Keg
Sep 16, 2010, 04:01 AM
Suffice it to say that is one thing we all hope they learned from PSU: do not attempt to drip feed us content that is already on the disc. Give us everything on the disc, then make actual new content for future updates.

If they do that, I will not only refuse to get it but try my hardest to make sure no one else does. Enough with the level caps, unreleased missions/areas and weapons....when you pay for a full game you should have it from the start.

AlphaDragoon
Sep 16, 2010, 04:14 AM
PC exclusive = fine by me. It should have been that way since they did it on Blue Burst (which was awesome), honestly.

Now please let Dragon Sakai and the PSP team be handling this, and please don't let them think that because it's PSO2 it has to have all the same stuff PSO did verbatim.

There's a lot of stuff from PSU/PSP that NEEDS to be in this game. Things like clothing, ability to change characters appearance/class anytime, free run with lock-on targeting (read, no crappy walking when you're near an enemy) and dodging, and PAs if they balance them out.

If they do bring back the light/heavy system (which is a good possibility unless they go brand-new), I hope it allows for actual unique and varied attack strings as opposed to the same stock animation just slower/stronger or faster/weaker. They could drop PAs entirely if they did this right, making fighting more like combos in games like Devil May Cry (the old ones, go to hell Western reboot).

And since it is PC only...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO DRIP FEEDING CONTENT.

EDIT: And more races than Human/CAST/Newman kthx.

goldbrease
Sep 16, 2010, 04:38 AM
And then experienced horrible delays with actually getting us post-release content, until it eventually got to the point that they really may as well just have released it a year later after all... but I digress. Now I recall why putting it on the PS3 would be a bad thing: Sony Computer Entertainment America, if I recall right, makes developers jump through hoops to release new content that the JP branch doesn't, and we all know how what SoA's hoop-jumping skills are like. In fact, SCEA's two-week testing requirement was one of their big reasons for very slow content delivery, or at least one of their big excuses--it's hard to tell sometimes.

That said, yeah, keep it the hell off the PS3. I don't want to have to wait for SoA to slowly drag its own lumpy, leaden ass through SCEA's hoops.

As for the year-later prediction, however, I just figured it would be more in line with recent releases than PSU's relatively quick three months. PSZ and PSP2 were both year-long waits.

actually if sega doesn't do the stupid slowly unlock content on disk thing it will work better, and some things such as server side stuff doesn't need hoop jumping.

kevlar_pso
Sep 16, 2010, 04:59 AM
I'm holding my excitement until I see an actual gameplay video. I doubt I'll have any interest in it unless it's a console game (I'm honestly not much of a PC gamer...)

Can some1 say Challenge Mode?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I need to tell Feba and Undertow, then we'll be set!

Raven5_1
Sep 16, 2010, 05:24 AM
Honestly what is needed to make the whole thing work, is the best parts of PSO, PSU, PSZ and PSPortable both on game mechanics and game visuals.

Talwin
Sep 16, 2010, 05:33 AM
What do you think the chances are of seeing some game play footage over the next couple of days?

DuRaL
Sep 16, 2010, 06:04 AM
the logo somehow reveals that there'll only be 1 planet in PSO2..
Ragol? Coral? both would be interesting >_< we'll see..
i'm so excited, can't wait for new infos ^^

no crappy walking when you're near an enemy
just use the menu, it's not difficult xD

redroses
Sep 16, 2010, 06:15 AM
This is really a great announcement! I am excited to see what they will come up with!

But I really do hope, they develope the game more in the direction of PSP2/i and do not go backwards because it is Phantasy Star >Online< 2.
I think they should keep the class system as it is in PSP2, I would find it actually quite sad if we went back to RAmarl and HUnewearl. Also, of course I think they should keep all of the character customizations.

AlphaDragoon
Sep 16, 2010, 06:16 AM
just use the menu, it's not difficult xD

Or leave in running at all times like PSU has. That's an option too. :-P

DuRaL
Sep 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
Or leave in running at all times like PSU has. That's an option too. :-P

of course, yea ;)
but i'm pretty sure they'll do it like that anyway.. it's been like that in all phantasy star games since PSU, even in PSZ

DarkShadowX
Sep 16, 2010, 07:13 AM
This is some great news. Ideally it'll be joint servers and such, and that a US version releases soon after the JP one but we'll see. Also I hope they announce it for PS3 (seeing as my PC is rather old and I can't afford to upgrade) with cross-platform servers, ala FFXIV. Otherwise I can't wait to see more of this game, especially gameplay vids and screens, if no PS3 version is announce I MAY just have to see about upgrading this PC of mine.

There's a chance they might show some footage of PSO2 at TGS, but I suspect they may just focus on showing off PSP2I and wait til Dec. to actually show off PSO2 with the 10th Anniversary announcement they had planned way back when. They may sprinkle some stuff on us inbetween then tho.

OriginalB
Sep 16, 2010, 08:06 AM
This should be real interesting. I wonder how they're going to approach this... I mean.. is it going to have a more PSU approach to it (as far as more fluid mechanics)? I can't imagine how they can ressurect a game like this without making it seem really archaic. Hopefully it turns out good!

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
>Read that they'D rather a PSP/I battle system for Phantasy Star ONLINE 2.

whatthefuckamireading.gifSo you'd rather have the stiff, antiquated, boring battle gameplay of PSO over the fluidity offered by photon arts and such?

Yeah ok.

doubleEXP
Sep 16, 2010, 08:25 AM
This should be real interesting. I wonder how they're going to approach this... I mean.. is it going to have a more PSU approach to it (as far as more fluid mechanics)? I can't imagine how they can ressurect a game like this without making it seem really archaic. Hopefully it turns out good!

PSO is still amazingly fluid, especially for a game whose core code is 10 years old.

I recently started playing it again, first time in years.

The only things I find clunky is hitting edges (like walls, rocks, etc.) which bring your character to a complete stop. If they just made edges slow you AND allowed you to swing and shoot and cast techs on the move it wouldn't take much more than that to make it as fluid as any game today is. It's still amazing how smoothly, overall, PSO plays.

It's going to be so exciting to see PSO2 when it finally comes out. I'll be nervous! Will it recapture that original spirit from the DC and GC versions? I hope so!

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2010, 08:26 AM
I hope it doesn't have gameplay exactly like on PSO or PSZ, nor exactly like on PSPo2, but something new, improved from all the past games.

Anon_Fire
Sep 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
No, give PSO2 a worldwide release.

Hansha
Sep 16, 2010, 09:47 AM
Can't wait for this!

Talwin
Sep 16, 2010, 10:19 AM
Please please please keep Mags and Section ID's!

These are 2 things I've missed, Mags were ok in PSZ, but PSO was better!

And I think Section ID's make for a great trading community.

•Col•
Sep 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't mind Section ID's again, as long as they either let you choose them when you create your character, OR let you change it in the Salon/Dressing Room for a large amount of Meseta.

EspioKaos
Sep 16, 2010, 11:02 AM
http://forum.psupedia.info/viewtopic.php?p=12756#p12756

Copy-pasting my translation of the text from the teaser that I just posted at PSUPedia. Thanks to Shougai PSO for giving a list that's legible!

http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2010/09/100917c.html

From Shougai PSO, here's a list of all of the text scrolling across the background in the trailer. First, phrases that relate to the game's new components:
* "Action" and "RPG" re-connected
* Increased variety of client orders
* Map functions changing in real time
* User-created story
* New interface for environmental interactions
* Global support
* Thorough racial balances
* Full-user participation events
* Seasonal changes
* New chat system
* New mail functions
* Drastic item synthesis overhaul
* Even wider variety of ways to raise your character
* New direction of event scenes
* Approach from NPCs (New approach maybe?)
* Silhouette changes by add-ons (Not too sure what they mean here.)
* New photon arts (This was partially obscured in the video, so may not be 100% accurate.)
* Community support content (Again, slightly obscured in the video.)
* Additional customizations when you create your character
* Category-based weapon training system (Slightly obscured.)
* Implementation of asynchronous communication
* New party system
* Consideration of enemy cooperation
* Limitless content
* New approach to the game client
* Implementation of a new "life work" (Partially obscured.)
* Daily surprises
* "Trump card" system
* Mutual interaction functionality for new and veteran users

And now for words and phrases that give hints at the world of the game:
* Awakening
* Sealed stone monument
* Pure Dark Falz (Partially obscured.)
* Apostles of _____ (Partially obscured.)
* Camp ship
* Arkz
* Why is darkness born?
* Why is the Great Light no longer here?
* A world in ruin

Lazaroth
Sep 16, 2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah!!!!!!
Console version Please.. Please... =)

Ethateral
Sep 16, 2010, 11:07 AM
http://forum.psupedia.info/viewtopic.php?p=12756#p12756

Copy-pasting my translation of the text from the teaser that I just posted at PSUPedia. Thanks to Shougai PSO for giving a list that's legible!

http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2010/09/100917c.html

From Shougai PSO, here's a list of all of the text scrolling across the background in the trailer. First, phrases that relate to the game's new components:
* "Action" and "RPG" re-connected
* Increased variety of client orders
* Map functions changing in real time
* User-created story
* New interface for environmental interactions
* Global support
* Thorough racial balances
* Full-user participation events
* Seasonal changes
* New chat system
* New mail functions
* Even wider variety of ways to raise your character
* New direction of event scenes
* Approach from NPCs (New approach maybe?)
* Silhouette changes by add-ons (Not too sure what they mean here.)
* New photon arts (This was partially obscured in the video, so may not be 100% accurate.)
* Community support content (Again, slightly obscured in the video.)
* Additional customizations when you create your character
* Category-based weapon training system (Slightly obscured.)
* Implementation of asynchronous communication
* New party system
* Consideration of enemy cooperation
* Limitless content
* New approach to the game client
* Implementation of a new "life work" (Partially obscured.)
* Daily surprises
* "Trump card" system
* Mutual interaction functionality for new and veteran users

And now for words and phrases that give hints at the world of the game:
* Awakening
* Sealed stone monument
* Pure Dark Falz (Partially obscured.)
* Apostles of _____ (Partially obscured.)
* Camp ship
* Arkz
* Why is darkness born?
* Why is the Great Light no longer here?
* A world in ruin

Bolded. Does that mean we'll be included with JP? D:?

xenokai
Sep 16, 2010, 11:18 AM
About 10 years later we get a true PSO2, none of the episode 1-4 stuff, and none of the PSO type stiff clones (aka PSU) this is a real pso sequel. As a huge fan that played every pso version on dc/gc/pc this is huge news because anyone who did play original PSO knows how amazing PSO2 could be.

I do have my doubts, the fact that it seems to be announced for pc first means it may have the stiff and unfun controls of PSU, but i have faith that they can do this right. Loved how they used the original PSO music to announce it. Ill never forgive them if the butcher PSO2 like they did PSU. Come on sega make this game amazing.

RemiusTA
Sep 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
On one hand im excited. On the off-hand im terrified and almost angry.

Well...

1) Unless they've been working on this game for years and we haven't known about it, 2011 release effectively means this game is going to be trash. Universe took forever to be released and it was still a steaming pile of unsifted kitty litter.

2) Yeah it has the NAME Phantasy Star Online 2, but lets be absolutely positively real now:

3) This is not the Sonic Team from the year 2000. This is 2010 Sonic Team -- this is Sonic the Hedgehog 06, PSU/AotI, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic the hedgehog 4...you know, those guys responsible for these countless "return to roots" rehash, sellout, medicore titles. They've been trying to "reboot" Sonic the Hedgehog for almost 9 years now, and have failed at every attempt.

Therefore,

4) They can give us back Mags, Section IDs, all the stages and all the old storyline elements they want, but no amount of rehashing or "returning to roots" will EVER make up for corner cutting in gameplay design, or just plain bad game design like PSU was plagued with.

PSO's environments, aniimations, music, and simplistic yet deep gameplay elements dont come from just any team. The old Sonic Team was like Squaresoft to me: technical and artistic genius. They came out with tons of great, innovative and technically advanced games. These people are just another team of programmers holding the torch and letting it fizz out.

My only hope?

They create this game with the same amount of detail they did with Sonic Unleashed, since thats the last game ST made internally that i felt they REALLY tried hard with, despite the bad development decisions.

Oh yeah, and no console release kind of urks me, although in all truth it's the absolute best course of action to take with any MMO. Hopefully this means if they'll port it to PS3/360, it'll be a true port instead of the bullshit PSU pulled. Seeing as both PS3, 360 and PC have Voice Chat, tons of storage space and high graphical and processing capabilities, i hope the development team goes all out with this title.

But even if this game is 100% amazing, the finishing blow will ALWAYS be the same with Sega -- US/EU support being less than what it should be.

Ithildin
Sep 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
Whatever they choose to do with the game, I must say I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve when they announce stuff like this. let the rumours/excitement commence!

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
3) This is not the Sonic Team from the year 2000. This is 2010 Sonic Team -- this is Sonic the Hedgehog 06, PSU/AotI, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic the hedgehog 4...you know, those guys responsible for these countless "return to roots" rehash, sellout, medicore titles. They've been trying to "reboot" Sonic the Hedgehog for almost 9 years now, and have failed at every attempt.
Sonic 4 is being made mostly by dimps, the Sonic game that Sonic Team is currently doing, has the potential to be the best 3D Sonic game so far, Sonic Colors.

Getintothegame
Sep 16, 2010, 11:44 AM
I saw this in the middle of one of my classes this morning. I could barely contain myself. What a rush of emotions and memories!

I am curious if it will be PC only. I'm carefully optimistic right now - if it's PC only, no big deal - I'll play it through my TV with a controller. However, it would be even sweeter if it were on Xbox as well. I guess I just am not too big of a PC gamer. It was hard for me to keep getting on my PC for Blue Burst after awhile.

Either way, this announcement has given me some real hope for the coming years. It'll be something nice to play with a big audience again! I'm fairly sure that the nostalgia alone will bring many people back. I'm keeping my head up.

chibiLegolas
Sep 16, 2010, 11:47 AM
This......isn't......
This is a dream......

*pinch!*
I don't think this IS a dream!

I'm so syched! Please let the team behind PSO and PSZero work on PSO2, and NOT the folks behind PSU.

Ethateral
Sep 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
I used to be big on PC gaming back in the day. However, I prefer it on a larger screen where I can sit back comfortably and play. Comfy as in for my wrists, lol. I do hope they bring it to Xbox/PS3 alongside PC.

Neith
Sep 16, 2010, 11:56 AM
PC is a great idea, I'm glad that was chosen as a platform.

I have high hopes for the game (and even higher expectations of the dev team), hopfully Miyoshi's PSU team is allowed nowhere near it.

Can't wait, I'll play Final Fantasy XIV and Guild Wars 2 until it releases I guess :wacko: Almost a guaranteed buy unless I hear of something I don't like.

Raven5_1
Sep 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
isn't the great light another name for holy light?

chibiLegolas
Sep 16, 2010, 12:14 PM

I often wondered that myself. If anything, I was expecting to see PSOBB in xbox360 arcade downloads eventually. Especially since xbox: PSO was one of the few games that AREN'T backwards compatible with 360.

I too prefer to play on a console system. PC gaming kinda turns me off.
But maybe with PSO2 being on PC, Sega can actually have US/EU/JP all together like back on PSO days.
And for me, was one of the many charms PSO had. I HATE breaking up PSO fans by having seperate servers. It feels like you're breaking up my PSO family. :(

Ryudo
Sep 16, 2010, 12:23 PM
I dont think it's an exaggeration to say this is the best thing that has ever happened.

Thanks for the translations Espio, that's interesting reading

Malachite
Sep 16, 2010, 12:24 PM
Guys, I'm sure this will eventually be released on 360, and POSSIBLY PS3. I also agree that gaming tends to be better on consoles, but for something like a new PSO, I can see why they chose to go with PC.

When, and if they release it for consoles, I very much hope that all consoles and regions can play together. PSO2 needs the biggest community it can get, and linking everyone together sure would help.

parabolee
Sep 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
[url]

By this I hope they mean NO item synthesis system for weapons! I HATED the item synthesis system in PSU, was a chore, no fun at all. Synthing an item was never as satisfactory as finding one in a rare red box!

doubleEXP
Sep 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
I agree: I HATED the synthesis system in PSU and absolutely loved the rare system in PSO!

Synthesis feels like work.

Finding rares is something that -- with luck! -- happens while you are having fun (hunting monsters).

Malachite
Sep 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
I totally agree. Hopefully this game, will be as the title suggests, Phantasy Star ONLINE 2, rather than something following in PSU's footsteps.

doubleEXP
Sep 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
So say we all!

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2010, 12:38 PM
Guys, I'm sure this will eventually be released on 360, and POSSIBLY PS3. I also agree that gaming tends to be better on consoles, but for something like a new PSO, I can see why they chose to go with PC.

When, and if they release it for consoles, I very much hope that all consoles and regions can play together. PSO2 needs the biggest community it can get, and linking everyone together sure would help.
I think it would be more correct to say that it might eventually be released on PS3, and possibly 360.
I think it's alot more likely that it would be released for the PS3 instead of the 360 because the PS3 is alot more popular on Japan, and Sony doesn't have problems with multiplatform connection, unlike Microsoft, that isn't even allowing Square Enix to connect the 360 with PS3 and PC for FFXIV.

GCoffee
Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 PM
Awesome.

The info Espio posted implies that PSO2 will be set on Ragol again as the Arkz (from Ep. 3) seem to be part of the game's story. They were the ones most aware of the danger that was Dark Falz.

Still, the game seems to make use of a lot of PSP2's mechanics, what I am still not sure how to feel about. Hope there will be some footage soon so I can get a proper opinion.

Malachite
Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
I think it would be more correct to say that it might eventually be released on PS3, and possibly 360.
I think it's alot more likely that it would be released for the PS3 instead of the 360 because the PS3 is alot more popular on Japan, and Sony doesn't have problems with multiplatform connection, unlike Microsoft, that isn't even allowing Square Enix to connect the 360 with PS3 and PC for FFXIV.
You're probably right, I was basing my assumption merely off of how PSU was released on 360, and not PS3 (although it was for PS2). I'm so used to the PS3 being overlooked in the US, it's just what I naturally come to expect lately.

Regardless, I'd love to see it on all three.

Ce'Nedra
Sep 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
They should launch a Gamecube 2 as well with it :P

Shame its gonna be a PC game though, i kinda hate pc gaming x.x to much lagg and shit unless you have the money to buy uber pc's with uber graphic cards.

Can't wait to see what it will be like though.

Ithildin
Sep 16, 2010, 12:47 PM
Nice seeing all the old forum members creep out of the woodwork to post in this thread. Its great seeing all the old join dates.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
Guys, I'm sure this will eventually be released on 360, and POSSIBLY PS3.How are you sure of that at all? I would say virtually zero chance of 360 (because of all the bullshit they have to go through for Live), with a slight possibility of PS3 being added along the way in development.

Here's hoping this stays PC only forever.

Ithildin
Sep 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
How are you sure of that at all? I would say virtually zero chance of 360 (because of all the bullshit they have to go through for Live), with a slight possibility of PS3 being added along the way in development.

I have to say I thought this. I'm still surprised so many Japanese games actually make it to the 360.

BahnKnakyu
Sep 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, as long as they removed the god awful movements and the "slowdown" you get when you walk next to a monster and the complete 180 "turret turn" you did to move the other way, I'll be all good.

If they did a fusion of the PSP2:i and PSO battle systems that would be great.

Take note guys, this is NOT Miyoshi producing the game. Miyoshi was the one responsible for the steaming horsepile that was PSU and AOTI. Sakai was the one responsible for fixing the game up and producing PSP1 and PSP2 (and now PSP2:i), all of which has been successful when the game was placed under his wing.

Oh, and Sega will most likely go with PS3 for consoles. One because the PS3 is selling almost as much as the PSP is in Japan, and secondly because Microsoft is a bitch about "free" updates (which Sega tries to push out, but is not allowed to due to Microsoft's stupid Live "DLC" policy). Microsoft's ridiculous content update policy about the X360 version was responsible for causing pretty much the death of the Western PC/PS2 version, as content updates were slowed to a crawl because they wanted to make the X360 version (and I quote Clumsy) "on parity" with the PC/PS2 version. Sony is much more flexible about free and frequent content/version updates.

But I don't have doubts that this game will be great. I can't wait!

Malachite
Sep 16, 2010, 12:53 PM
I just expect to see it ported to at least one console in the future, is all. I might be wrong, not claiming to be right, it's just what I think will happen. Sega usually releases their big Phantasy Star titles on more than one platform.

parabolee
Sep 16, 2010, 12:57 PM
I don't quite understand the naysayers saying Sega will mess this up. I agree PSU was a big disappointment. However since then things have only got better.

Going off the quality of PSP<PSZ<PSPo2 things have gone from strength to strength! If PSO2 is better than PSPo2 then it's going to be STELLAR!

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 01:07 PM
It's not like PSU is the only thing they've botched.

Have you seen the localization in PSP2?

Sha Sha
Sep 16, 2010, 01:09 PM
I literally spazzed and screamed when i saw the trailer.. i wanted nothing else but to go into the future to play it already.
its like...O_O wow...
im really excited; couple this with the epic BLEACH chapter and the release of psp2 for US and yea... my flu is feeling much better now

Gryffin
Sep 16, 2010, 01:11 PM
Guess this means I gotta start checking the forums and hanging around and getting back into the scene ;)

Priest
Sep 16, 2010, 01:11 PM
The last time I was this excited about a sequel was Goldeneye 2.. and we know how that turned out. Man I swear if they just re-released BB with new maps and items I'd buy it, I don't even care about graphics.

Ithildin
Sep 16, 2010, 01:14 PM
Have you seen the localization in PSP2?

Not yet. Its as bad as that? Great ¬_¬

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 01:19 PM
It's pretty dreadful.

Zarode
Sep 16, 2010, 01:30 PM
The only thing dreadful is how wrong you are. It's fine.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 01:36 PM
Your face is dreadful.

Yeah ok, I'm exaggerating about how bad PSP2 is, but I was just using it as an example.

GenoGear
Sep 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Just hope they dont mess it up. Well PSP2 should cover me for a bit.

BahnKnakyu
Sep 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
The only thing dreadful is how wrong you are. It's fine.

The long list of poorly translated weapon and NPC names would like to have a word with you, bro.

CAMPSO
Sep 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
Wow this is great news!
Hopefully it will be as fun and memorable as PSO was.

parabolee
Sep 16, 2010, 01:52 PM
The long list of poorly translated weapon and NPC names would like to have a word with you, bro.

Hardly effects how great the game is though does it? If thats the worse they have done since PSU, they I think we are looking good for PSO2!

Forster
Sep 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
The trailer brought back so many memories of PSO on dreamcast, gamecube with episode 1 & 2 then episode 3, blueburst on PC, to PSU on pc/ps2/360 and the portables on PSP, with zero on DS.

Almost like a reflection of my past 10 years. PSO feels like it changed my life.

I have been there for all the day 1 launches, and I know where I will be come 2011 launch!

Kent
Sep 16, 2010, 02:37 PM
"Increased variety of client orders?" What could that possibly even mean?

"User-generated story" sounds like a bad idea in the traditional sense, but if it's something like an ongoing online story that's changed by the participation of players... Well, I don't know if that'll actually end up working.

The notion of Photon Arts being in the game at all somewhat worries me, because it's something stemming from PSU. We'd better not have to equip goddamn wands and staves in order to cast techniques again - that was inexcusable.

Category-based weapon training? Like in PSP2? That wasn't too terrible of an idea, but it does make me worried that they're taking, well, just about anything from the Phantasy Star Universe series and its spin-offs.

Maybe we'll hear more about the game in the next few days.

zonron
Sep 16, 2010, 02:37 PM
if they replace mags with jazz hands i quite.

Powder Keg
Sep 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
I hope "limitless content" doesn't translate into unlocking it. I know I'm repeating myself, but I can't stress enough on how that has to not happen.

I would be 100% satisfied if one of these conditions are met:

A.) No drip feeding content

B.) One single server...no separations.

With those conditions met I'd be fine...then there's other issues, like don't use the billing server from 1987 like with PSU, fast response to cheating, etc..

I used to be big on PC gaming back in the day. However, I prefer it on a larger screen where I can sit back comfortably and play. Comfy as in for my wrists, lol. I do hope they bring it to Xbox/PS3 alongside PC.

Depending upon your setup, you can fix this easily. My PC is right next to my entertainment stand and I have it hooked up to my LCD TV. Then all you'd need is a VGA cable if you don't already have one and a wireless desktop, and both are relatively cheap.

Ezodagrom
Sep 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
I hope "limitless content" doesn't translate into unlocking it. I know I'm repeating myself, but I can't stress enough on how that has to not happen.

I would be 100% satisfied if one of these conditions are met:

A.) No drip feeding content

B.) One single server...no separations.

With those conditions met I'd be fine...then there's other issues, like don't use the billing server from 1987 like with PSU, fast response to cheating, etc..

Depending upon your setup, you can fix this easily. My PC is right next to my entertainment stand and I have it hooked up to my LCD TV. Then all you'd need is a VGA cable if you don't already have one and a wireless desktop, and both are relatively cheap.
I'm guessing limitless content is real DLC, new missions/areas created after the release.
About connecting the PC to a TV, many recent graphics cards have an HDMI connection.

zonron
Sep 16, 2010, 02:51 PM
maybe there adding another mission builder like .hack/psp2i?

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 16, 2010, 02:54 PM
the things im most worried about are the item synthesis and photon arts being added in, it sounds like it'll still be amazing otherwise, and even those theres no way i'd pass this up, although i hope they dont use the PSU class system, i liked PSO's pretty well, and also, does anyone know what category based weapon training means? but no matter what i'm still icredibly psyched that we were so wrong for all this time about pso getting a sequel, we thought for so long no, and it turns out, YES!

uhawww
Sep 16, 2010, 03:00 PM
This is my first post here in over three and a half years.
I would just like to say: Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah~

If there truly is global support, I'll most likely not have to translate any announcements anymore :3

DarkPhoton
Sep 16, 2010, 03:01 PM
I am stoked over this. I miss the days of PSO and never got into blue burst. I will want to give this one a try.

chibiLegolas
Sep 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
How are you sure of that at all? I would say virtually zero chance of 360 (because of all the bullshit they have to go through for Live), with a slight possibility of PS3 being added along the way in development.

Here's hoping this stays PC only forever.

I wouldn't rule out seeing PSO2 on PS3 and 360.
Why? Profit reasons. With the amount of $ it takes to develop a game now-a-days, it seems unimaginable to NOT release it on all consoles to make back as much money as you can. (unless Microsoft or Sony signed a contract to have exclusive rights for X amount of years).

Once PSO2 is done, Sega would just have to calculate how much $ would it take to maintain a seperate server for 360 and/or PS3. And would it be profitable? IMO, for the 1st 2 years on each system, it probably would.
I'm just guessing that it would eventually end up on both of those systems, given enough time.

Though I still want 1 merged server for all 3 platforms. But I know it's impossible....
:(

Kenbog
Sep 16, 2010, 03:08 PM
Though I still want 1 merged server for all 3 platforms. But I know it's impossible....
:(
Square somehow did it with FF11 :s

Ryudo
Sep 16, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'm going to guess the reason they havent announced consoles yet is because they want global all system all territory combined servers and Microsoft are making that a problem, like they did with Final Fantasy 14

Touka
Sep 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
I don't know how anyone can complain about Photon Arts when they were one of the FEW things good about PSU.It made the combat more fun and less about spamming light and heavy attack.

The only thing i'd like to see is gun PA's(why didnt PSP 2 have these?).

Ezodagrom
Square somehow did it with FF11 :s
Microsoft allowed for FFXI, but they're not allowing it anymore, one good example is FFXIV.

Frog
I hope this on PS3!

I hope there are mags!

I hope the art-direction is like PSO!

I hope you can play it offline as well!

I hope PSO, is inside PSO2. Like in your room, you would have a terminal to log into PSO!!!

Diablo3 & PSO2 in the same year? crazyness!!!!

Zantra
Sep 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm keeping quiet until we get more info. The list of changes on the front page, and the fact that it is PC only (for now), makes me very cautiously optimistic. If it's more of an MMO like FF11 or FF14, I don't think they should be calling it PSO2.

Coldbrand
Sep 16, 2010, 04:20 PM
I hope CASTs are actually unable to cast spells and get all their benefits as a result. I want my HUcast.

Saigan
Sep 16, 2010, 04:54 PM
Much like spending years without posting- about friggin time.

I hope they don't muck it up. The last few years of bad Phantasy Star and even worse Shining Force doesn't give me much confidence. Then again, Valkyria Chronicles is mind blowing so I know there are still some decent folks working on games.

Tyreek
Sep 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
I hope this on PS3!

I hope there are mags!

I hope the art-direction is like PSO!

I hope you can play it offline as well!

I hope PSO, is inside PSO2. Like in your room, you would have a terminal to log into PSO!!!

Diablo3 & PSO2 in the same year? crazyness!!!!

This was stated to be for Windows PC.

goldbrease
Sep 16, 2010, 05:20 PM
This was stated to be for Windows PC.

only so far. remmeber in the past they have done trailers advertising for only 1 system but it gets released on multiple systems.

my interpretations.

# "Action" and "RPG" re-connected (well everyone should understand this.)
# Increased variety of client orders (i'm not fully sure but i'm guessing more options i the game launching client)
# Map functions changing in real time (the maps change as we progress threw them?)
# User-created story (user created missions?)
# New interface for environmental interactions (interactive enviroments? sit on rock? cut down tree? dig a hole?)
# Global support (possible international launch, everyone on 1 large server network?)
# Thorough racial balances (balance races so everyone has a special ability and no one is to over powered?)
# Full user participation events (active participation and not sitting thair and say happy birthay sonic?)
# Seasonal changes (rare mobs, lobbies, and special store items?)
# New chat system (voice chat?)
# New mail functions (longer messages?)
# Drastic item synthesis overhaul (please let me learn a recipy and not have to hunt down and uber rare synth recipy item to make them! also cut down items needed and the insane rarity and stop with the failer chances!)
# Even wider variety of ways to raise your character (multi job maybe?)
# New direction of event scenes (story has multiple branching paths?)
# Approach from NPCs *possibly a new approach to NPCs?* ( i think this likly means you could have an npc walk up to you and ask you something.)
# Silhouette changes by add-ons (obscured) (i'm hoping this means clothing)
# New photon arts (obscured) (cool, but i wonder how the pa system will work.)
# Community supported content (obscured) (user created items? missions? monsters? worlds? areas?)
# Additional character customization (tons of posabilities!)
# Category-based weapon training system (obscured) (learn to use certain weapons? maybe take training to use a weapon better?)
# Implementation of asynchronous communication (i have no uter clue what this even means)
# New party system (this will be interesting, everyone gets what drops maybe? no more people jumping in after boss dies and random gives them the goodies?)
# Improved enemy AI / cooperation (smart ai?)
# Limitless content (user and sega created?)
# New approach to the game client (it will work differnt ly? not sure what to say.)
# Implementation of a new "life work" (obscured) (utter confusion)
# Daily surprises (daily freebee system?)
# "Trump card" system (photon blasts?)
# Mutual interaction functionality for new and veteran users (not sure)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 16, 2010, 05:21 PM
if they replace mags with jazz hands i quite.
What if the mags are synthed instead of feed grown, because partner machines are still feed grow?

What if partner machines are synthed, by parts.

Take you forever to find junk to make arm of butler/maid. :( And they can't go into battle/make an item before they're 2 arms 2 legs, torso, head.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 16, 2010, 05:28 PM
i want them just to expand on the way mags were in PSO

DoubleJG
Sep 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
This news does excite me (it will excite me even more once I see some screen shots and the mentioning of 360 and/or PS3 and/or Wii version(s)), but I'm so pleased with PSPo2 that I don't even know what else to expect. I've been enjoying PSPo2 almost as much as I enjoyed PSO back in the day. As others have stated, PSO is still there, and always will be. If I wanted to play PSO, I'd turn it on.

What I can't wait to see is how so many people on here will more than likely still be saying "this isn't PSO!" when PSO2 comes out.

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
The "user-created story" bit almost makes it seem like they're taking a hint from western RPGs in allowing the player to affect their world in more than a completely predefined, monorail fashion. If I can make characters that are more than globs of numbers attached to a visual model, and actually give them personality through the decisions they make, I'll be a very happy girl. Of course, this would be their first attempt at such a thing (as far as I'm aware), and it's Sega, so I suppose I shouldn't get my hopes up.

"Global support" sounds interesting, however. I've previously predicted that a 2011 JP release easily indicates a 2012 western release, but if they're going for a global game rather than a strictly JP-centric one, perhaps that won't be the case. Perhaps they'll even opt for a region-independent server system that would eliminate the matter of inequalities between JP and western servers.

Oh, well. A girl can dream, amirite.

Somewhat less excitingly, the "life work" thing makes it sound like they're introducing some kind of profession system like many MMOs have--which in turn makes it sound like crafting or gathering skills, and further implies that we won't be able to just learn all of them ourselves, that we'll have to make a choice. Of course, crafting system matters were already addressed with the synthesis system overhaul, so maybe I'm completely off the mark.

Vanzazikon
Sep 16, 2010, 05:45 PM
I exploded... Three times.

Galax
Sep 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
From the list on the front page, looks like they made PSO fused with PSU again (psz has some psu elements), and...I'm not really happy about it. If you're gonna remake PSO, keep the monster drops rare weapons, keep the tekker, and don't put in item synthing. I mean, PSO had it great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, SEGA, don't make PSO again. From what I've read, it's not going to be PSO...I want a return of ragol, of the tekker...I don't need it to be exactly like PSO, but...I don't want it to be PSU + PSO.

Malachite
Sep 16, 2010, 06:00 PM
Honestly, they're making a new game in PSO's footsteps, and that's great. Of course there will be differences. I'd be extremely disappointed if it was the same game, slightly polished up.

The original PSO is great, and if you want to play it, then go do so. But this game shouldn't have to be held back so it stays that much more similar to the original.

Cire39
Sep 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with Malachite. I hope they keep all the things that were good about PSO and ditch all of the bad/outdated stuff.

Also, they'll probably include some of the old PSO areas as bonus stages.
The prospect of playing old PSO areas in HD with updated graphics and textures... oh baby...

Getintothegame
Sep 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
We'll see how this turns out. I join you all and thank Espio for his work with translating. I'll be watching this with an international resident after a while and see if he can spot anything else worth noting later this evening.

Randomness
Sep 16, 2010, 06:12 PM
All hail Espio, for always bringing us goodies from Japan.

Reading through that, I'm hoping SEGA, for once, has a single, worldwide server set. That would, by itself, prevent the game from ever dying. Seriously.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry, Great Light?

Didn't we last hear of that back in Algol? Wouldn't that be a trip? To go back to where it started and revisit Motavia and Dezoris (poor Palma...)

...Now that I look at the logo a bit closer, doesn't it look like there are multiple planets around multiple suns?

Boxblaster
Sep 16, 2010, 06:59 PM
I can tell this news is HUGE since I see Getintothegame posting again.

MountainLynx
Sep 16, 2010, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry, Great Light?

Didn't we last hear of that back in Algol?

Having recently replayed PS4 start to finish, all I can say is WOOHOO!

pikachief
Sep 16, 2010, 07:03 PM
Cool. :D

I just wanna see what the game is going to look like, like the style of everything(levels and characters more).

I just wanna know what everything's gonna look like i personally liked the look of PSU stuff over PSO things :P Maybe they'll go a new route or stick more to the way PSP2 stuff looks :D

Can't wait. Well I can wait I wont even be able to play it when it's released lol

Tetsaru
Sep 16, 2010, 07:09 PM
This is really exciting news! They better not fuck this up... but as long as Sakai (and not the Sonic Team that made PSU) is developing/managing it, I'm not too worried.

With this and FF14 coming out, looks like I'm going to have to save up for a new PC after all... @_@ A PS3 release would be awesome for me, but if it means keeping everyone on the same page in terms of updates and content, I'll gladly play it on PC.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on this. :)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Re: people whining about the possibility of photon arts in PSO2

Thanks for the laugh!

DragonStriker
Sep 16, 2010, 08:09 PM
I really don't know much about the original PSO games although I have only heard good things. Therefore I really hope SEGA produces a great game that everyone who's played the Phantasy Star series can enjoy (Maximum community size) and for once focuses on updates and services. The gameplay and story and everything else can be absolutely amazing but the game could be lacking without good service, updates, and community support. So I really do hope this is a priority this time around because to my knoledge it hasn't been in any of the latest Phantasy Star games.

DoubleJG
Sep 16, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm assuming the limitless content and user-created content is referring to something similar to what PSPo2i will have involving the various codes that allow players to "create" their own mission.

Galax
Sep 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
Honestly, they're making a new game in PSO's footsteps, and that's great. Of course there will be differences. I'd be extremely disappointed if it was the same game, slightly polished up.

The original PSO is great, and if you want to play it, then go do so. But this game shouldn't have to be held back so it stays that much more similar to the original.

WARNING: TEXT WALL ALERT.

And that's fine. The main thing that bothers me is that they're keeping item synthing, from what I can tell. It didn't work out. I do like the idea of techs being the way they were in PSU, because seriously, I'd rather work for something like a lv30 foie, not just get lucky with finding a disk and having high MST. Also, I do still play PSO. Don't get me wrong, either. It's just that knowing how SEGA did with PSO, and then PSU...I loved PSU when I started. And I didn't even start with online mode. I played the storymode at least three times over PLUS playing free mode a good bit, before going online. Hell, I had a lv100 Beast offline before I got online. It's great that SEGA is going to try to go back to PSO. I guess you could call it an "instant storm" when it comes to me and believing in SEGA. The only stuff I used PSU for before I began my "extended break" from Xbox 360 was getting in XBL parties as a silver member, and even that was worthless because I got Gold for a while before I started my break. I guess you could call me "just another whiner" or "just another guy complaining about SEGA and their track record", but I love PSO. I like PSZ, too. My biggest turn-off with PSO (before a "switch") were the FSODers and all that. Can't tell you how frustrating it was to have found a cool weapon, go back to the lobby, and then somebody FSODs you, although anyone who played PSOX/GC probably knows what I mean.

tl;dr: I just don't trust SEGA to do this right. Screw item synth, especially. I don't care if it's been "completely overhauled". You can get the best BOARD in the game, it fails and you get a Kerseline.

I guess the best thing to say is, if you skip to this or whatever, is that PSU had issues just like PSO. If you fuse them together, what do you expect? A great game, I would hope. But don't be surprised if it STARTS as a great game, with good updates...And then fails us.

EDIT: Some other notes...PSO had little storyline, other than EP3 and the Government quests for BB...Even if there's more than meets the eye, it's kind of obscure. That's something PSU had over PSO. I do prefer PSU offline over PSO offline/1p mode quests, personally. But PSO had offline multiplayer too. Give me that, and that'll make me happier, despite the fact that I'll really only play it alone. Hell, I probably won't mind it if offline has different characters from offline, but please, no "online only" items...Assuming there even is offline.

And damn, I did it again...TEXTWALL'D.

DragonStriker
Sep 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
WARNING: TEXT WALL ALERT.

And that's fine. The main thing that bothers me is that they're keeping item synthing, from what I can tell. It didn't work out. I do like the idea of techs being the way they were in PSU, because seriously, I'd rather work for something like a lv30 foie, not just get lucky with finding a disk and having high MST. Also, I do still play PSO. Don't get me wrong, either. It's just that knowing how SEGA did with PSO, and then PSU...I loved PSU when I started. And I didn't even start with online mode. I played the storymode at least three times over PLUS playing free mode a good bit, before going online. Hell, I had a lv100 Beast offline before I got online. It's great that SEGA is going to try to go back to PSO. I guess you could call it an "instant storm" when it comes to me and believing in SEGA. The only stuff I used PSU for before I began my "extended break" from Xbox 360 was getting in XBL parties as a silver member, and even that was worthless because I got Gold for a while before I started my break. I guess you could call me "just another whiner" or "just another guy complaining about SEGA and their track record", but I love PSO. I like PSZ, too. My biggest turn-off with PSO (before a "switch") were the FSODers and all that. Can't tell you how frustrating it was to have found a cool weapon, go back to the lobby, and then somebody FSODs you, although anyone who played PSOX/GC probably knows what I mean.

tl;dr: I just don't trust SEGA to do this right. Screw item synth, especially. I don't care if it's been "completely overhauled". You can get the best BOARD in the game, it fails and you get a Kerseline.

I guess the best thing to say is, if you skip to this or whatever, is that PSU had issues just like PSO. If you fuse them together, what do you expect? A great game, I would hope. But don't be surprised if it STARTS as a great game, with good updates...And then fails us.

EDIT: Some other notes...PSO had little storyline, other than EP3 and the Government quests for BB...Even if there's more than meets the eye, it's kind of obscure. That's something PSU had over PSO. I do prefer PSU offline over PSO offline/1p mode quests, personally. But PSO had offline multiplayer too. Give me that, and that'll make me happier, despite the fact that I'll really only play it alone. Hell, I probably won't mind it if offline has different characters from offline, but please, no "online only" items...Assuming there even is offline.

And damn, I did it again...TEXTWALL'D.

I completely agree with this post, I absolutely love the idea of Photon Arts in Universe. It was a great way to balance out the luck portion of Universe in regards to weapons, synths, drops, and so forth. Simply because the players who put in the time and got capped out Photon Arts could still be more effective than the people with poor Photon Arts and epic weapons and or gear. I would not enjoy having to "find" my Photon Arts like I understand was the case in PSO because it simply would irritate me to have almost no control over my effectiveness as a player. Whereas even with absolutely horrid luck I can still be a great player due to Photon Arts in the Universe games.

GHNeko
Sep 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
So you'd rather have the stiff, antiquated, boring battle gameplay of PSO over the fluidity offered by photon arts and such?

Yeah ok.

Old != Bad.

And besides, they can easily base the battle system of PSO by tweak and add to it and make it fresh like they tried to do in PSZ.

The control flaw of PSZ was due to the hardware. How the controls handed in PSZ would of been praised, if not, at least completely accepted by us all had it been on PC or Console.

There is nothing wrong with keeping the same gameplay. Look at Tekken. Look at Dragon Quest. Look at Virtual Fighter. Look at MARIO.

They all keep the same base, but modify/tweak/add the right amount with each release, refining the system to the point where it's familiar and not boring and keeps you interested.

lrn2refinewhat'sgood

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
So what you want is PSO's system with improvements.

Which is exactly what PSU was.

DragonStriker
Sep 16, 2010, 08:54 PM

Gib PSU+Next Step with good service.

Micro
Sep 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
Extremely excited for this. Here's to hoping it doesn't end up in the gutter soon after launch. :wacko:

Galax
Sep 16, 2010, 08:57 PM

I liked psu, but it just..failed me after a while. I'll let you figure out how I can hate on PSU yet have liked it at some point and hate on PSO2 yet want it to come out, because I'll make another textwall if I try to explain.

Malachite
Sep 16, 2010, 08:57 PM

There were improvements in PSU? Woah. What game did I play?

GHNeko
Sep 16, 2010, 08:59 PM

PSU barely plays like PSO.

I'd like to see the PSZ path taken again and much much farther.

DragonStriker
Sep 16, 2010, 09:00 PM
There were improvements in PSU? Woah. What game did I play?

I think he means that Universe was an attempt to be PSO+Improvements (Which I understand might not have worked out) but that's seemingly what it was supposed to be.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 16, 2010, 09:02 PM
EDIT: Some other notes...PSO had little storyline, other than EP3 and the Government quests for BB...Even if there's more than meets the eye, it's kind of obscure. That's something PSU had over PSO.
PSU's storyline was better than PSO's? Maybe you're forgetting about Ethan Whiner. I hated him as a mained character, he was so generic and the whole story was super generic. At no point did I ever sympathize or even care about anyone in the story, I only wanted to destroy stuff.

I disagree on the story mode, as it's much deeper than what everyone thinks. I like how many of the weapons tie into quests and some of the characters, and many of the quests would leave you hanging, but in a good way. It gave it some charm, so you could either draw your own conclusion, or you could search for answers by doing the other quests, which most could be subtly linked together.

Plus, I'd go drinking with Bernie. That man has got the knack.

Ken_Silver
Sep 16, 2010, 09:06 PM
Interesting news, but a mixed bag for me.

Never played PSO online, so I never knew what the hype was. Played it offline and it was fun. Uber fun.

Comes PSU. It's nothing like PSO, but the updated graphics, new customization system and slightly better gameplay made it me like PSU > PSO.

Since then PSU has gotten better. Fast forward to PSP2 and I think that game is close to perfect. A good blend of PSU and PSO.

Side step to Phantasy Star Zero: OMG, Rose Tinted Glasses are shattered. They re-did PSO in a sense, but it wasn't doing it for me. The fighting system was more like PSO, but not as fluent as PSU had become in PSP1. No customization and being constricted to the old HUmar, RAcast system made me appreciate the ability to change classes in PSU.

So now that I hear PSO2 is coming out, I worry. If it is more like PSP2 (which is unlikely, since the PSU series has grown into its own), then I'd be happy. But if it is more like PS:Zero, then I don't think I'd want to buy it. Feels too much of a step back to me.

Also noted, Sonic Team's track record has been sketchy the last few years. Granted, they seem to have a grip on themselves (as Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors seem to demonstrate), I dunno if they are ready to work on PSO2. More importantly, how long has this been in development? If the guys who did Sonic Unleashed/Sonic 2006 worked on PSO2... then you couldn't pay me to rent the game.

Way more questions then answers. But perhaps I am too far into the PSU series to go back to PSO. Never experienced those glory days online, never played with JPN players... sounds like an old dream to me that's passed on to your kids and they say "Yeah, right. Sure. It was that good back then. I believe you. *snicker.*"

PSO was the boat that brought me here. But it's been PSU that has entertained me. Where will things go next? Who knows. Q4 2010 and 2011 are going to be interesting times.

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
Cruddy play control is simply not acceptable today. For PSO2 to make the controls artificially slow and clumsy just to make it feel more like PSO would be bullshit. Even if they start with PSZ's controls as a base rather than PSP2's/PSP2I's, they had better make said controls considerably quicker and more responsive.

Let me reiterate that: clumsy, clunky play control is inherently a shortcoming and no one should argue for it ever.

As for the evils of the synth system, I recommend withholding judgment until we find out what the overhauls are. Because they might involve removing the failure chance that many of the synth-haters (rightfully) complain about.

GHNeko
Sep 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Cruddy play control is simply not acceptable today. For PSO2 to make the controls artificially slow and clumsy just to make it feel more like PSO would be bullshit. Even if they start with PSZ's controls as a base rather than PSP2's/PSP2I's, they had better make said controls considerably quicker and more responsive.

Let me reiterate that: clumsy, clunky play control is inherently a shortcoming and no one should argue for it ever.

As for the evils of the synth system, I recommend withholding judgment until we find out what the overhauls are. Because they might involve removing the failure chance that many of the synth-haters (rightfully) complain about.

So basically, you'd be okay with a faster paced PSZ with responsive controls that dont feel clunky/blocky.

Roger that.

imokaywiththis.jpg

DragonForce
Sep 16, 2010, 09:48 PM
The PSU synth system has to go. So does the weapon grinding system.

Zyrusticae
Sep 16, 2010, 09:48 PM
Okay, most of the post was pretty good, except for this.

Wtf is this?

By "completely overhauled" they really mean "completely overhauled". By which they mean it is nothing at all like the current system. Which means things like "boards" and "failure" MAY NOT EVEN APPLY ANYMORE.

Think! Come on! I know you can do this! Just because it was horribly poorly-done before doesn't mean it can't be made into something that actually adds to the game. It's going to be different, completely so. They wouldn't use words like "completely" (subject to translator error, but I personally believe in him) if it wasn't.

Also, guys, you can forget about the combat playing like anything in PSO OR PSU. They specifically say they're "re-connecting" the "Action" with the "RPG", which tells me you can expect it to play like an actual action game. Y'know... like PSP2, except further into the action side. Maybe we'll even get something of a God of War Lite (the RPG) in the gameplay department. Personally, I'm all for it.

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
So basically, you'd be okay with a faster paced PSZ with responsive controls that dont feel clunky/blocky.

Roger that.

imokaywiththis.jpg

Of course, the question now is how different that would really be from PSP2's/PSP2I's system. I mean, there are differences in ways the buttons are allocated and the like, but the action palette is pretty much just another way to customize the controls. Clean up the individual palette functions, such as allowing the player to set a general "Item" function to their palette that brings up a list of consumable items that they can scroll through, and you're already well on the way to bridging the gap between the two.

...So what I'm saying is maybe all this arguing about whether PSZ's system or PSP2's/PSP2I's system is better might be a little pointless.

The exception would be the issue of whether techs should be mapped to weapons, like PAs, or whether they should be set independently of them--on that matter, I'm in the independent camp. And while I'm at it, I'd like to add that I really hated the way PSZ handled force weapons; I think they should work more like they did in PSO, where they didn't use MST for their physical attack power, and they offered smaller bonuses to MST and other scores that made them nice to have for tech casting, but not instrumental for all but support techs.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 16, 2010, 10:07 PM
From the list on the front page, looks like they made PSO fused with PSU again (psz has some psu elements), and...I'm not really happy about it. If you're gonna remake PSO, keep the monster drops rare weapons, keep the tekker, and don't put in item synthing. I mean, PSO had it great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, SEGA, don't make PSO again. From what I've read, it's not going to be PSO...I want a return of ragol, of the tekker...I don't need it to be exactly like PSO, but...I don't want it to be PSU + PSO.

i agree on a few points, i want rare drops to come from enemys, and kill the item synthesis i cant stand it, but i do want some changes, like a storyline with cutscenes, altho i could go wither way on that it would be cool, but most of the new stuff sounds like it will detract, but this will be incredible either way.

FOkyasuta
Sep 16, 2010, 10:11 PM
i agree on a few points, i want rare drops to come from enemys, and kill the item synthesis i cant stand it, but i do want some changes, like a storyline with cutscenes, altho i could go wither way on that it would be cool, but most of the new stuff sounds like it will detract, but this will be incredible either way.

Item Synthesis.= Bad Idea.

Arika
Sep 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
On one hand im excited. On the off-hand im terrified and almost angry.

Well...

1) Unless they've been working on this game for years and we haven't known about it, 2011 release effectively means this game is going to be trash. Universe took forever to be released and it was still a steaming pile of unsifted kitty litter.

May be your US side get shit update every times, because they are working on this project.

Ethateral
Sep 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
Am I the only person here that enjoys synthing/creating items/weapons/armor, etc in games? I love synthing in PSU. I just get a thrill from it when I pop several items in at a time. Sure, I get disappointments, but I laugh it off anymore and continue hunting the boards + items to try again. <3

@Powder Keg: Yeah, that's how my setup is. Except I don't bother with hooking up my laptop (Decent) to my TV.

HienkyakuX
Sep 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
BTW they are talking about infinity atm but are talking about pso2 from time to time.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sega-tgs2010

zonron
Sep 16, 2010, 10:47 PM
it was fun, it gave me something to do. and something to rant about when i broke my weopon. its like F! FINE I'LL FIGHT WITH MY FISTS THEN, I'LL SHOW YOU.

DarkShadowX
Sep 16, 2010, 10:48 PM
Am I the only person here that enjoys synthing/creating items/weapons/armor, etc in games? I love synthing in PSU. I just get a thrill from it when I pop several items in at a time. Sure, I get disappointments, but I laugh it off anymore and continue hunting the boards + items to try again. <3

@Powder Keg: Yeah, that's how my setup is. Except I don't bother with hooking up my laptop (Decent) to my TV.

Item Synthesis was a good idea.... in the planning stages...... then they just messed it all up and it was the worst thing about the game to me, next to that horrible grinding system and many other things about PSU. However, while I enjoy and still love PSO for what it is, they really do need to up the ante with this, we can't have the same PSO gameplay for this, nor PSU's. It has to be something that is essentially the best of both games and raise it up several notches.

Ethateral
Sep 16, 2010, 10:52 PM
Item Synthesis was a good idea.... in the planning stages...... then they just messed it all up and it was the worst thing about the game to me, next to that horrible grinding system and many other things about PSU. However, while I enjoy and still love PSO for what it is, they really do need to up the ante with this, we can't have the same PSO gameplay for this, nor PSU's. It has to be something that is essentially the best of both games and raise it up several notches.

Personally, I don't see synthesis as a bad thing at all. It's equally the same with luck were it where we found our weapons/armors off creatures. Both are based off luck.

Grinding... Don't get me started with how it's run in PSU. I loath it. I actually like how it'd done in PSP2-- pay for each grind, where it costs a lot for each rank and the increasing grind.

MegaZoneXE
Sep 16, 2010, 10:56 PM
only so far. remmeber in the past they have done trailers advertising for only 1 system but it gets released on multiple systems.

my interpretations.

# Implementation of asynchronous communication (i have no uter clue what this even means)

i looked it up and it's seems they are bringing back Beat Time System back?

HienkyakuX
Sep 16, 2010, 10:57 PM
Don't know if this was given yesterday but this link was presented today during the PSO 2 talk. It's the same video as before but don't know about the message tho.

http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/pso2/

Allison_W
Sep 16, 2010, 11:01 PM
Don't know if this was given yesterday but this link was presented today during the PSO 2 talk. It's the same video as before but don't know about the message tho.

http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/pso2/

And they just had to have all the text in image form so that Google can't translate it.

DoubleJG
Sep 16, 2010, 11:05 PM
i looked it up and it's seems they are bringing back Beat Time System back?

I would like this.

FOkyasuta
Sep 16, 2010, 11:07 PM
MORNING GLORY! HEAVENS PUNISHER!

MegaZoneXE
Sep 16, 2010, 11:34 PM
Sega even took the video off Nico Nico Douga lol

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 16, 2010, 11:38 PM
There were improvements in PSU? Woah. What game did I play?Pretty much everything was improved. PSU is a better game than PSO in almost every way possible. PSO was more fun, but it's the worse game.

But yeah, let's not get into this tired argument. You like PSO a whole bunch. Ok, fine.

SELENNA
Sep 17, 2010, 12:25 AM
Pretty much everything was improved. PSU is a better game than PSO in almost every way possible. PSO was more fun, but it's the worse game.

But yeah, let's not get into this tired argument. You like PSO a whole bunch. Ok, fine.

Because Partner Marchinery > MAGS, am I right?

I do understand PSU has improved quite a few game mechanics, but it derived too much of the PSO experience IMO. And the synth system was total crap.

goldbrease
Sep 17, 2010, 12:27 AM
And they just had to have all the text in image form so that Google can't translate it.

i havn't used google translate in awhile but last time it translated everything into something like this.
the carp intervenes in the moon springtime of the sitting oger, the ogers proclimates at the time the oger moon sits the the sit the oger is the carp >.>

Seth Astra
Sep 17, 2010, 12:28 AM
PSO was more fun, but it's the worse game.
Is it just me, or is this an oxymoron?

DragonStriker
Sep 17, 2010, 12:37 AM
Is it just me, or is this an oxymoron?

There's more than just the actual game that makes the game enjoyable.

Here's a couple reasons people QUIT PSU early on.

1: Hacking/cheating
2: Lack of Updates/service
3: Poor porting of the game(360's lag problems)

These things are just a few of what can make a game less enjoyable than it really should be.

valuanguard
Sep 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
also the feeling at PSU launch where we only got a handful of missions we could do, and knowing that the CONTENT WAS THERE AND LOCKED AWAY really grinds your gears

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 17, 2010, 12:48 AM
Because Partner Marchinery > MAGS, am I right?Yes, actually, because PMs aren't game-breakingly broken for low-level characters. Both have their merits, but you can't deny that Mags were extremely broken on PSO.
And the synth system was total crap.I agree 100%. So does ST, thankfully.

And no, it isn't an oxymoron. PSU is technically superior in almost every way. I had more fun on PSO, but that was due to the community mostly.

Kent
Sep 17, 2010, 12:52 AM
Think of how different that is from killing monsters and getting random drops though. You're still doing the same thing repeatedly, and awaiting the results. Synthesis differs from combat in that it's a different action that you're repeating, really - and according to basically all of the playerbase, it was something that's just not fun to do.

In a sense, synthesis is akin to playing a slot machine: The only thing that affects the outcome is random chance - though combat does have a random element to drops and how they work, the main differentiating factor is that combat can take a substantial level of player skill to do well, with better-skilled players generally being rewarded more often (so more skill = more rewards from a static pool of drops).

If there's one thing that kept players motivated through games like Phantasy Star Online, Diablo and Borderlands, it's the fact that any random new item, equipment or weapon could drop from enemies. One of the critical successes of Phantasy Star Online was that, despite that the drop tables are more or less static per enemy (with specific items only dropping from specific enemies under specific section IDs), the combination of well-paced action gameplay, teamwork potential and quality-made variable dungeon designs (instead of simply static dungeons, or complete randomness in them) made gameplay very fun because it really emphasized exploring.

Borderlands, I would say, could teach whichever team is behind PSO2 a couple valuable weapons about how to properly randomize loot, with how in-depth their loot-generation system is designed. before any of the expansions, the game was capable of generating no less than 17.5 million different guns - though many of them may be similar to some extent (a "machine gun" always pretty much works like a "machine gun," just as a "sniper rifle" always works pretty much like a "sniper rifle," there are many different variables, such as damage, accuracy and firing rate, on top of numerous other attributes determined by accessories, attachments, scopes, stocks, etc.). This seemingly-endless potential for new equipment, combined with high-quality first-person shooter gameplay, is why it's not uncommon for someone to easily have over a week of real playtime on a single character.

I really think that something like PSO2, if they decided to take a quality action-oriented gameplay approach to it, implement an intelligent system for randomizing potential equipment and have players going through dungeons that are randomly-assembled from hand-crafted segments, and really emphasize and reward exploration (and of course, make sure it's not trying to be an MMO), PSO2 could end up being an incredibly good, prestigious and critically-successful game.

If there were systems like this however, then synthesis and crafting equipment may very well become obsolete - just as these things were removed from the Phantasy Star Portable games, as Alfa System saw fit to remove them, ultimately improving the game experience overall. I don't think I'd be against having a system for adding modifications to existing weapons though - not really like grinding (which is enhancing a component of the weapon) but instead, adding something to the weapon that gives it an alternative property of some sort.

CLARK
Sep 17, 2010, 12:53 AM
Yes, actually, because PMs aren't game-breakingly broken for low-level characters. Both have their merits, but you can't deny that Mags were extremely broken on PSO.I agree 100%. So does ST, thankfully.

And no, it isn't an oxymoron. PSU is technically superior in almost every way. I had more fun on PSO, but that was due to the community mostly.
And tapping the Tornado Dance Photon Art then using Photon Charges wasnt broken? PSU was a joke. At least death was POSSIBLE in PSO

HyperShot-X-
Sep 17, 2010, 12:53 AM
My take so far on this early 'teaser' announcement:

"Action" and "RPG" re-connected > not much changes there
Increased variety of client orders > ... no comment
Map functions changing in real time > maybe a fully randomized map patterns in a way similar to the original PS game?
User-created story > could this be something new that's not been done already before other than multi-subplot storyline with user created main plot char?
New interface for environmental interactions > new lobby animations or maybe more?
Global support > one worldwide network server supporting different languages in-game for other regions other than JP onry?
Thorough racial balances > more like back to old PSO again.. or PSP2, whatever
Full user participation events > any better than what PSU had?
Seasonal changes > maybe a fully automated update system by date all year around without the need for manual updates turning them 'On' & 'Off' thru server maint. every single time?
New chat system > better include a 'Mute' function used in Live or similar
New mail functions > better fix dumb word censor used in PSU that garbles the entire fking mssg just due to 1 word
Drastic item synthesis overhaul > doesn't mean synthing will be removed completely, just in different form.. maybic
Even wider variety of ways to raise your character > u mean players don't have to run any missions to kill things if they don't feel like to and still lvl up like all the others who do..?
New direction of event scenes > ..from what PSU's events were like?
Approach from NPCs (possibly a new approach to NPCs?) > NPCs freely roaming around lobbys/rooms, joining free missions and interacting with real life users at their own will?
Silhouette changes by add-ons (obscured) > silhouette.. me got no clue
New photon arts (obscured) > obscured.. what is?
Community supported content (obscured) > ok.. how and what?
Additional character customization > are you kidding?.. of course
Category-based weapon training system (obscured) > sounds cool, more pls
Implementation of asynchronous communication > return of old Word Select from PSO or similar that translates to other languages in real time?
New party system > boot function in, yes or no? upgraded maybe?
Improved enemy AI / cooperation > nice
Limitless content > PSU was that way too in a way, but more frequent updates =\= quality content, and quantity < quality
New approach to the game client > a better way than PSU's server side saving..?
Implementation of a new "life work" (obscured) > detail pls
Daily surprises > sounds fun
"Trump card" system > bring back the old Photon Blast chain combo system from PSO recreated in epic proportion
Mutual interaction functionality for new and veteran users > PSU's player shops system is one form, refine it and item trade function as well. Anything else?

Well, kinda a lil sloppy for such a big announcement, yet I say. Tease me, please me~

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 17, 2010, 12:55 AM
And tapping the Tornado Dance Photon Art then using Photon Charges wasnt broken? PSU was a joke. At least death was POSSIBLE in PSO

And Tornado Dance has what to do with PMs and Mags? If you want, we can go back and forth all night about different things that were broken in both games, because Lord knows both are an unbalanced mess. But we won't, because that would be retarded.

AlphaDragoon
Sep 17, 2010, 12:55 AM
Still has PAs, so I'm guessing they aren't completely wiping what they've done in PSU/PSP, much to the chagrin of PSO only fans.

I like the ideas presented, can't wait to see some actual gameplay from this.

ShinMaruku
Sep 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
If Sonic Team is not making it, I shall be so happy

LoveRappy
Sep 17, 2010, 01:11 AM
I hope this actually turns out to be a TRUE sequel to PSO and not another PSU.
(although that bit about item synthesis scares me. I hated that in PSU and rather everything be dropped or quested only. Crafting doesn't belong in PSO. Also, I was hoping they wouldn't incorporate anything from Ep. 3. That game was just awful and I wish it didn't exist. :/)

Even though I like playing games on my PC, It would be nice if they released it for 360 too. Hope its at least on Steam.

Although, Im not holding my breath with this one though. SEGA has been less then stellar lately (every PS game after PSO 1&2 has been junk) and the support they gave the US player base with PSO/PSU was iffy. And, if they use GameGuard again... Ugh.

In the end, I woulda much rather they had just ported Ep. 1 & 2 to PC/360 with some HD support. I just love that game and would love to play it online with friends again.

Allison_W
Sep 17, 2010, 01:19 AM
[ . . . ] (although that bit about item synthesis scares me. I hated that in PSU and rather everything be dropped or quested only. Crafting doesn't belong in PSO. [ . . . ]

Except PSO had a primitive crafting system in being able to take enemy parts to Dr. Montague for him to make into special enemy-related items, like the Booma's Claw and Rappy Fan. And yes, in practice, it's crafting, because you're gathering materials and having them assembled into a usable item. The fact that it's an NPC who appears in certain quests doing the assembly isn't enough to move it into the "questing" category. You could argue it's a less annoying form of crafting in that you don't need to actually build up a crafting skill or partner machine or the like, but primitive crafting it is, nonetheless.

so like where is your god now

BahnKnakyu
Sep 17, 2010, 01:47 AM
Here's a couple reasons people QUIT PSU early on.

1: Hacking/cheating
2: Lack of Updates/service
3: Poor porting of the game(360's lag problems)

You know the funny thing is, Sega of America did the same thing with PSOBB too.

1) Hacking and cheating wasn't as rampant as PSO DC/GC, but it was still very doable by script kiddies.
2) The US/EU PSOBB servers rapidly fell behind the JP PSOBB servers in content for whatever fucking reason. PSOBB lost a HUGE contingent of players when they failed to release Ultimate difficulty in a timely manner, a huge swath of players quit after the game officially launched when one of Sega's first content updates WASN'T Ultimate difficulty. This was very similar to the really shitty content update that PSU had one month after its release. It took over 2 months for Sega of America to finally release Advanced classes, and by then a good portion of the population left.
3) PSOBB didn't run that well even on computers that could run modern games (for that time).

It's just funny that Sega of America just keeps repeating history, again, and again, and again.

LoveRappy
Sep 17, 2010, 01:59 AM
Except PSO had a primitive crafting system in being able to take enemy parts to Dr. Montague for him to make into special enemy-related items, like the Booma's Claw and Rappy Fan. And yes, in practice, it's crafting, because you're gathering materials and having them assembled into a usable item. The fact that it's an NPC who appears in certain quests doing the assembly isn't enough to move it into the "questing" category. You could argue it's a less annoying form of crafting in that you don't need to actually build up a crafting skill or partner machine or the like, but primitive crafting it is, nonetheless.

so like where is your god now

The enemy parts weren't really crafting. All it was is handing over 1 item for 1 weapon. A trade if you would. It was more similar to questing. Guess you could call it a form of crafting, but I don't count it as such.

What I mainly meant, is that I dont want to see an actual in-depth crafting system like what PSU had. I want *ALL* items to be only found by killing monsters or from doing quests. I do not want to need to have a PM, recipe, and many different items to make ONE thing that can fail.

Crafting just takes the whole treasure hunting and dungeon romping away from the game.

EvilMag
Sep 17, 2010, 02:04 AM
I have to agree with LoveRappy.

Allison_W
Sep 17, 2010, 02:15 AM
The enemy parts weren't really crafting. All it was is handing over 1 item for 1 weapon. A trade if you would. It was more similar to questing. Guess you could call it a form of crafting, but I don't count it as such.

What I mainly meant, is that I dont want to see an actual in-depth crafting system like what PSU had. I want *ALL* items to be only found by killing monsters or from doing quests. I do not want to need to have a PM, recipe, and many different items to make ONE thing that can fail.

Crafting just takes the whole treasure hunting and dungeon romping away from the game.

I'm hoping that removing the failure chance is one of the revamps they've made to the crafting system, yes. If they remove that, the entire system suddenly becomes much more tolerable.

If the crafting requires any kind of build-up, in the way that PSU's PMs had to be fed, or Diablo III's artisans will require money and materials to advance their craft, then it needs to work much more quickly than PSU's PM feeding--which was like the most miserable interface ever. If it were something that could be handled relatively quickly, like investing money in a business that does your crafting (or even being able to feed your PM en masse rather than individually shoving one hundred items down its gullet every twelve hours), that would also make it much, much more tolerable.

zpinex
Sep 17, 2010, 03:04 AM
To all those crying out of nostalgia...

I say let's wait no longer for phantasy star online 2 but reconnect our dreamcasts today instead!

ChronoTrigga
Sep 17, 2010, 05:56 AM
Oh my god. Just saw the news on Reddit. Anyone remember me and Team Dreamstation from PSOv1 all the way to PSO BB? :D

I cannot wait for this sucker. My only hope is that its a true MMORPG with the same fun loving gameplay improved upon. With ridable mounts, multiple planets, and non-instanced worlds.

Kent
Sep 17, 2010, 08:49 AM
I cannot wait for this sucker. My only hope is that its a true MMORPG with the same fun loving gameplay improved upon. With ridable mounts, multiple planets, and non-instanced worlds.
The PSO formula doesn't seem like it'd really work in an MMO, persistent world format. That, and there's nothing wrong with the format PSO had in the first place.

Realistically-speaking, the fact that it was not an MMO allowed PSO to actually have gameplay with the action and precision it has in the first place. Being that this action is one of the defining characteristics of the game, and they would have to more or less sacrifice it to make it an actual massively-multiplayer game (especially in a fully persistent world)... Ultimately destroying the notion of what people actually liked about PSO in the first place, instead of improving on it.

S N K
Sep 17, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'll say something about this since it's been forever and a damn day since I posted here.

If Sega hasn't learned their damn lesson about how GMing an online game should be, then I'm not fucking touching this.

Zero-Sensei
Sep 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hearing about this had brought me back into the light. It's been a real long time since I've last visited PSO-World. From the past, I didn't think I'd ever get back on here, but wow. I am surprised! I can't wait now until 2011 release! I'm so excited and there are so many emotions stirring through me right now. Oh, the good ol' memories.

SNK: Sadly, I'd say that PSU's past experiences had turned me off to a lot of things PSU wise, but I won't let that ruin what is going to be.
I'm still overly excited and I will be participating in this game as much as I possibly can.

S N K
Sep 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hearing about this had brought me back into the light. It's been a real long time since I've last visited PSO-World. From the past, I didn't think I'd ever get back on here, but wow. I am surprised! I can't wait now until 2011 release! I'm so excited and there are so many emotions stirring through me right now. Oh, the good ol' memories.

SNK: Sadly, I'd say that PSU's past experiences had turned me off to a lot of things PSU wise, but I won't let that ruin what is going to be.
I'm still overly excited and I will be participating in this game as much as I possibly can.

I wish I could say the same but givin Sega's shitty track record, I'm not even hoping that they'll have an active involvement in their playerbase that's anything even close to what FFXI has.

I'll probably watch a friend get it but, my days of PSO are pretty much done. I wish I felt otherwise but after enjoying many spent hours on the Gamecube Version and of course the Dreamcast version before that, I can pretty much say that this isn't my game anymore.

Aumi
Sep 17, 2010, 10:30 AM
H*LL YEAH! When I found out I got incredibly hyped! If this turns out as well as I hope it will, then I'll so get this and play the living f**k out of it! :D

Zero-Sensei
Sep 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
Well, I'm not here to change your mind. What you believe is what you believe. I am just able to put the negative happenings aside and look forward to seeing what lies in front of me for the future. The idea of a new "PSO" is just all so intriguing to me.

Zeota
Sep 17, 2010, 10:38 AM
Having thoroughly enjoyed PSO and been one of the OG PSU importers from '06, I am very much ambivalent about this. Please, please, please, please, pleeease let them stop treating their foreign userbase like second-class citizens! Otherwise I'd be hard-press to want to go near this, no matter how good it may turn out to be.

ChronoTrigga
Sep 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
Having thoroughly enjoyed PSO and been one of the OG PSU importers from '06, I am very much ambivalent about this. Please, please, please, please, pleeease let them stop treating their foreign userbase like second-class citizens! Otherwise I'd be hard-press to want to go near this, no matter how good it may turn out to be.

What up man. Dreamstation for life. :D