PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of coming back

Dithrain
Sep 27, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi there! I've been playing PSO since about 2001-2002, and PSU since release, but I didn't commit too much to PSU since it was on PC and... well, as you can see that didn't work out.

Anyway, I played on 360 with Ryzar/Zidane (good friend) for a bit, but stopped again. (I know, I'm a terrible person.) But now, my computer irreparably took a dump on itself, and I've been playing PSO a bit, but the lack of Gamecube activity sapped some of the fun for me.

So, I've been thinking of coming back to PSU, but I'm mostly concerned about the population. I imagine it's probably gone up a little bit since PC/PS2 shut down, but I'm not sure. (Which is why I'm asking you! :D)

Also, any cons to the games a returning dude should know? Pros? Insights? Blah blah?

Gracias amigos.

SolomonGrundy
Sep 27, 2010, 11:17 AM
The only downside I can see is that x306 is probably on it's last legs (A year or 18 months, is a guess).

Other issue is that there is an esablished economy, and you won't be a player in that economy for some time.

TheAstarion
Sep 27, 2010, 06:47 PM
If you don't have a PSP and desire a PSU fix, then sure. Only downside not already listed is that even during GBR, you only really find parties at White Beast, SEED Express or the current GBR's "best" mission, and even then you may get booted for not having a 50% drop boost.

Randoms are usually no fun, but if you find a good party one day you might find you have friends for years because of it.

stinkyfish97
Sep 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
The only downside I can see is that x306 is probably on it's last legs (A year or 18 months, is a guess).

Other issue is that there is an esablished economy, and you won't be a player in that economy for some time.

Uh Id say its closer to 18 months+. Im pretty sure they cant just up and pull the plug because sega have contracts with Microsoft and Xbox live to uphold. This game is scheduled for another 2 years minimum on what they had scheduled for it. PC is different as is PS2, they could shut those servers down because even Sony stopped supporting the PS2 as far as games were concerned.

SolomonGrundy
Sep 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
If you don't have a PSP and desire a PSU fix, then sure. Only downside not already listed is that even during GBR, you only really find parties at White Beast, SEED Express or the current GBR's "best" mission, and even then you may get booted for not having a 50% drop boost.

Randoms are usually no fun, but if you find a good party one day you might find you have friends for years because of it.

I can still find parties for /R missions, which is nice.

Skyly
Sep 28, 2010, 03:44 PM
I might be coming back as well within a week or so :D

MillyB
Sep 28, 2010, 06:05 PM
O well I guess 1 and a half universes full put the game on its "last legs":-P

A lvl one can get into the PSU economy. Also, a lvl 1 can make 50 mill with its base pallet.
On Topic:As I said before on a daily basis we get 1universe and a half of 2 full. I can imagine Universe1 and 2 full and a half of three full + stars in other unisl if and when we get out next "BIG EVENT".

SolomonGrundy
Sep 29, 2010, 11:47 AM
O well I guess 1 and a half universes full put the game on its "last legs":-P

A lvl one can get into the PSU economy. Also, a lvl 1 can make 50 mill with its base pallet.
On Topic:As I said before on a daily basis we get 1universe and a half of 2 full. I can imagine Universe1 and 2 full and a half of three full + stars in other unisl if and when we get out next "BIG EVENT".

uni one gets full regularly. uni also gets pretty empty regularly. Lat night at 11PM PST is has 2 stars. uni 2 was empty.

a level 1 cannot make 50 million. ever. There IS money to be made (selling photons, etc), but I have to tell you, as someone who recently came back to the game after being away for a year, A LOT of what used to sell for real money no longer does. Even things like Catilium, nanopolymer, etc are devalued. (less than 50K for catilium).

YOu CAN set up a pallet of mid % (28-34%) S rank striking weapons, and you can also get low grind gunner and techer weapons CHEAP. 10/10 will still cost ya though.

Skyly
Sep 29, 2010, 01:43 PM
There a market for SN/gs?

SolomonGrundy
Sep 29, 2010, 03:44 PM
yes there is a market for spread need/G

MillyB
Sep 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
uni one gets full regularly. uni also gets pretty empty regularly. Lat night at 11PM PST is has 2 stars. uni 2 was empty.

a level 1 cannot make 50 million. ever. There IS money to be made (selling photons, etc), but I have to tell you, as someone who recently came back to the game after being away for a year, A LOT of what used to sell for real money no longer does. Even things like Catilium, nanopolymer, etc are devalued. (less than 50K for catilium).

YOu CAN set up a pallet of mid % (28-34%) S rank striking weapons, and you can also get low grind gunner and techer weapons CHEAP. 10/10 will still cost ya though.

Yes, a lvl one can get 50million meseta you just have to know how to play the game.

Ishia
Sep 29, 2010, 05:36 PM
Yes, a lvl one can get 50million meseta you just have to know how to play the game.

Okay then. Make a LV1 character, and get 50million meseta. You also can't use money/items from other characters, or sell any items in the shop that you didn't attain on that LV1 character, and you must remain at LV1, as you have said.

Dithrain
Oct 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback, guys. :)

Well, I do have a PSP, but I'm kinda a sucker for online play. I like getting to play with friends/random dudes.

Also, I'm sorry, but what's GBR? Also, I'm guessing White Beast and SEED Express are missions?

Also, how do I get a 50% drop boost?

Thanks! :)

Tetsaru
Oct 1, 2010, 07:03 PM
Also, I'm sorry, but what's GBR? Also, I'm guessing White Beast and SEED Express are missions?

Also, how do I get a 50% drop boost?

Thanks! :)

White Beast and SEED Express are among the most commonly played and beneficial missions on PSU, some would say brokenly so if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then imo they can be kind of difficult - lots of Megid, Sleep, and Freeze, for instance.

GBR stands for Guardians' Boost Road. It's a regular event in which a series of missions in a row usually get a higher difficulty option update (S2's and S3's), and also provide players who run them a chance to get in on the new loot. To obtain the 50% boost, which is the highest a single player can obtain during GBR, you must run each mission over and over to accumulate points, and the more points you have, the higher your boost % goes, although you can't achieve 50% by playing the same mission over and over; you have to play EACH mission over and over. When I was still playing, there was an NPC on the 4th floor of the Colony that could tell you your progress. Now, when there are multiple people in a party in a GBR mission, their total boost %'s accumulate, up to a maximum total of 300%, so playing with other people who all have a 50% boost is the most beneficial... hence why some players boot others for not first building up their own boost, unfortunately. Usually they'll post this on the mission counter, though, unless they're total douchebags, lol.

That said, I don't know how long PSU will continue on here in the US. I played on the PC/PS2 servers, quit back in early August of last year, then came back the following January when I heard it was going to be free up until the closing in late March. As a result, I never got a chance to see how the Supplemental Update affected things outside of Japan, but judging from most people's comments around here, things are pretty much the same: people who bore easily of the game still don't play it, the hardcore fans keep playing it, and Japan's still over a year ahead of us in terms of overall content. I say go ahead and give it a try and see how you like it, but be wary of having to deal with Sega/Sonic Team/Microsoft bullshit along the way.

MadDogg
Oct 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hi there! I've been playing PSO since about 2001-2002, and PSU since release, but I didn't commit too much to PSU since it was on PC and... well, as you can see that didn't work out.

Anyway, I played on 360 with Ryzar/Zidane (good friend) for a bit, but stopped again. (I know, I'm a terrible person.) But now, my computer irreparably took a dump on itself, and I've been playing PSO a bit, but the lack of Gamecube activity sapped some of the fun for me.

So, I've been thinking of coming back to PSU, but I'm mostly concerned about the population. I imagine it's probably gone up a little bit since PC/PS2 shut down, but I'm not sure. (Which is why I'm asking you! :D)

Also, any cons to the games a returning dude should know? Pros? Insights? Blah blah?

Gracias amigos.

As a former 360 PSU player that played on and off since 2006, I'm going to tell you straight up........it has a pretty good population to get stuff going but man was it friggin' boring. The problem isn't finding people, the problem is the community sticks to 1/2 missions ALL YEAR LONG, 24/7, you can only take so much white beast before it dirves you nuts. Of course you can solo whatever mission you wanted, but then where is the fun in that, with this being a online rpg.

Take if from me man, if you have a perfectly fine PSP, get PSportable 2, now. Not only is all the content unlocked from the get, people have found a way to play the japanese DLC missions so technically you have all what the game has to offer as soon as you buy it, unlike the 360 version where it is like, a year or something behind the japanese version in updates. Also, unlike portable 1, you can actually go online with portable 2 and meet randoms etc.

The two pros I can think of for 360 PSU is that you don't have to worry about hackers/script kiddies screwing up your save (they have to be the host of a party to do this, if you yourself create the games you can just boot and blacklist any cheater you see) and communication is way easier for the 360 unless you want to like, get on vent with every single random you come across on portable 2.

JCGamer
Oct 3, 2010, 09:23 PM
I have been with psu almost 4 years and I see alot of people to do this a lot and is a bit annoying.I have seen people leave but they only come for the new things for psu but they dont really play much so they spend there time doing other things. And when Edward posts something new for psu they just show up for that reason. another thing they do is waste there time on loafing around but they dont do anything so they just quit. Some players have there characters maxed out at 180 but they dont spend there time on the gas mission. I understand that people choose to come back because they feel bored, or they feel left out. Its stupid that people come and go, and sometimes it works where they quit and then there friends quit cause of that, and then they either sell there stuff before they quit and when they come back they have to start over again, it comes down to that if your gonna stay then stay dont quit then come back only for the special events, and its a pain to find good parties in psu cause most sit and spam or just sit around.

but if ur gonna come back make sure you are gonna stick with it, and if ur not going too then dont blow ur money if ur not going too.

Ishia
Oct 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
Oh yes, we should just continue to play and deal with copious amounts of boredom and bullshit service/content.

SolomonGrundy
Oct 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
Oh yes, we should just continue to play and deal with copious amounts of boredom and bullshit service/content.

Actually the issue is that Sega has mae a LOT fo the good drops in 2 missions (WB and SE). If they had spread them out this game would have been better.

XbikXBd
Oct 4, 2010, 01:53 PM
like i always tell people if u loved PSU at anytime then coming back is always fun

Dithrain
Oct 4, 2010, 07:44 PM
Wow, I'm loving the feedback from you guys. :)

I didn't know PSP2 had an infrastructure but honestly I like the visual lobbies haha. But, I can't knock it till I try it. What do you guys think of the online play with PSP2? Or atleast compared to PSU? Expansive? More populated? Blah blah?

8bitBass
Oct 4, 2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, I'm loving the feedback from you guys. :)

I didn't know PSP2 had an infrastructure but honestly I like the visual lobbies haha. But, I can't knock it till I try it. What do you guys think of the online play with PSP2? Or atleast compared to PSU? Expansive? More populated? Blah blah?

I played A lot of PSU, but gave it up in early 2009, that being said I loved PSU and find PSP2 to be a worthy successor.

The lobby is more for your party of 4, but you can still gesture, chat, run around, visit each other's rooms and trade lower grade items.

What really has me hooked on PSP 2 is that they took the best from PSU and PSO and combined them into PSP2--and it is free! Plus I can take my PSP anywhere and grind my character vs being stuck at home on my 360.

Hope that helps.

Dithrain
Oct 5, 2010, 08:58 PM
I played PSP 2 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it but I have some pretty stupid fears. The game came out so much quicker after the first one that I feel like if I work on him a lot it may all be gone when the next one comes out soon. :( But then again, PSO 2 got released, so PSU may be shutting down once that's released. So I'm pretty damn stuck right now. T_T Feel free to flame on my stupid reasons. :) I don't blame you.

DarkSlvrMoon
Oct 5, 2010, 09:31 PM
I played PSP 2 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it but I have some pretty stupid fears. The game came out so much quicker after the first one that I feel like if I work on him a lot it may all be gone when the next one comes out soon. :( But then again, PSO 2 got released, so PSU may be shutting down once that's released. So I'm pretty damn stuck right now. T_T Feel free to flame on my stupid reasons. :) I don't blame you.

I'm not going to flame this, and it's not a stupid reason.I just bought PSU going on two weeks ago.I was worried about buying PSU and having the servers shut down within a year.However, I chose to get it anyway because I still wanted to experience how fun the gameplay would be.Besides, if the servers stayed up five more years, I would kick myself for not have played it all of that time.I can understand the fear of server shutdown, but if you never play, you'll never know the fun you're missing.Just my thoughts anyway...

Dithrain
Oct 6, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm not going to flame this, and it's not a stupid reason.I just bought PSU going on two weeks ago.I was worried about buying PSU and having the servers shut down within a year.However, I chose to get it anyway because I still wanted to experience how fun the gameplay would be.Besides, if the servers stayed up five more years, I would kick myself for not have played it all of that time.I can understand the fear of server shutdown, but if you never play, you'll never know the fun you're missing.Just my thoughts anyway...

That was very convincing, as well as comforting. Thanks a lot, man. :) I have a couple job interviews (FINALLY) so I'll possibly have enough for possibly both!

Psu5675
Oct 6, 2010, 01:19 PM
Thinking of coming back

i say do not mate

psu is a a lot of money for a text message service

But mate get the psp PSP2 ITS THE GAME FOT YOU free online play to

Dithrain
Oct 6, 2010, 01:49 PM
Thinking of coming back

i say do not mate

psu is a a lot of money for a text message service

But mate get the psp PSP2 ITS THE GAME FOT YOU free online play to

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by a "text message service". XP

MillyB
Oct 6, 2010, 01:54 PM

Do not listen to it. All it does is put down PSU. I would say get the game, the 360 servers should be up for 2years+ in my opinion so you do not need to be worried about that.

Tetsaru
Oct 6, 2010, 01:55 PM

He's probably referring to how a lot of people have been so bored with PSU lately (especially with PSPo2 out now) that it feels like a glorified chat room. ^^;

MillyB
Oct 6, 2010, 01:58 PM
He is probably referring to the fourth floor.

fixed for clarity

Psu5675
Oct 6, 2010, 02:17 PM
its true PSP2 better bin playing pso form years

DarkSlvrMoon
Oct 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well, if you do come back, I'm on the 360, feel free to add me ^^