PDA

View Full Version : How good does it feel to be right. :E

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 10:32 AM
Have you lot heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?
From wiki:The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people.

Well I was always saying that some stupid people cannot be helped like say the tea baggers and the batshit insane libertarians cannot be swayed with cold logic and information because they do tend to be low skill incompetent people who in a kind of feed back loop who are so uninformed that they cannot be informed. Since they over value their own knowledge. Their stupidy masks their own stupidity and makes them so easy to pander to and be dragged along and stirred up to rage and all else.

Now a test.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee292/ADmeister7/TERA_ScreenShot_20100417_211320635.jpg
("Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

Tetsaru
Sep 27, 2010, 10:58 AM
All I see is a chick from that one online game (Tera?) you keep posting stuff from, that for some reason reminds me of Vanille from FF13, except less ditsy-looking, and with elf ears and tan skin, and overall just plain hotter imo. :wacko:

...Does that mean I'm stupid? o_o

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
Perhaps?
Are you unable to see your stupidity? If so then, YES!

Tetsaru
Sep 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'll admit, I can be stupid sometimes...

But right now all I see is fanservicey wimmenz, as usual in your posts. :wacko:

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
Well her boobies are nice.
Since you acknowledge you can improve that puts you out of that low skill incompetent types.

FarenKar
Sep 27, 2010, 01:19 PM
I get the Dunning-Kruger effect bit, but then I'm guessing I don't, since the picture seems like a non-sequitor to me...

So at the risk of being called stupid, I'm just going to enjoy the pic, as it's much higher res and quality than my computer can provide in game.

(Also, I love saying 'non-sequitor'. It's fun to say. XD )

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 27, 2010, 01:36 PM
Tea baggers and Libertarians? You speak of politics, Shin. The only party that can be said to be good at politics, is the Democrats, and they are very, very noisy about it. I submit that the Dunning-Kruger Effect is inapplicable to this subject, as their are no clear competitive skills to be measured.

FarenKar
Sep 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
Tea baggers and Libertarians? You speak of politics, Shin. The only party that can be said to be good at politics, is the Democrats, and they are very, very noisy about it. I submit that the Dunning-Kruger Effect is inapplicable to this subject, as their are no clear competitive skills to be measured.

I though something along those lines, but didn't really want to get into too much with politics; I'm very anti-politician and I believe in capitalism, and as such am evil in the eyes of government.

As per submitting that the effect does not apply... way to ruin the game for the rest of us. XD

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 01:49 PM
Not quite the low skill incompetent types tend to be tea baggers therefore they are easily manipulated and cannot be swayed away from their ways.
Look at their signs and look how they butcher the constitution and selective reading of it does point to them being low skilled people. Some would dare say they are low class (Not quite economic but boorish offensive people)

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 27, 2010, 04:09 PM
Not quite the low skill incompetent types tend to be tea baggers therefore they are easily manipulated and cannot be swayed away from their ways.
Look at their signs and look how they butcher the constitution and selective reading of it does point to them being low skilled people. Some would dare say they are low class (Not quite economic but boorish offensive people)

Those of the Tea Party have chosen to participate, not because they are easily swayed, but because they are angry. The easily swayed are those who are pacified by their representatives' propaganda; those who are content to be told by our president, that we are experiencing a "Summer of Recovery", when the passed Summer was nothing of the sort, and in fact, only saw our situation worsen. The Tea Partiers are angry, and they want the government to leave them the hell alone.

These are people who just want to be able to feed their families, without unnecessary government interference. Would you suggest that they simply eat cake, Shin?

How easy it must be, to sit from a high place, and look down on the others below? To comment at how simplistic they must be, to not live as you do? Perhaps you would be well-served, to climb down to the ground, and walk a mile in their shoes?

Remember that even a college student eats nutritionless sop, and has not yet had a taste of real life. If one leaves their parents' teat, and only moves on to the teat of another, then that one has not yet been weened.

The home must be maintained, and the bills must be paid. When a government acknowledges a problem, and the policies it builds to combat it, only makes it worse, then the people will rightly protest. This is what has happened, and it is what we are seeing. That is why we have this developing Tea Party, and why we will continue to see their numbers, until our economy has regained both strength and stability.

Tetsaru
Sep 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
When a government acknowledges a problem, and the policies it builds to combat it, only makes it worse, then the people will rightly protest. This is what has happened, and it is what we are seeing. That is why we have this developing Tea Party, and why we will continue to see their numbers, until our economy has regained both strength and stability.

Too bad this never worked for trying to fix PSU. :wacko:

I think Japan's government has both monarchy and democracy aspects to it, so I'm not exactly sure how something like a Tea Party would work over there... :confused:

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 27, 2010, 04:44 PM

It helps when your picket signs and angry chanting are in the same language as that spoken by those in power.

Randomness
Sep 27, 2010, 04:55 PM
Those of the Tea Party have chosen to participate, not because they are easily swayed, but because they are angry. The easily swayed are those who are pacified by their representatives' propaganda; those who are content to be told by our president, that we are experiencing a "Summer of Recovery", when the passed Summer was nothing of the sort, and in fact, only saw our situation worsen. The Tea Partiers are angry, and they want the government to leave them the hell alone.

I think it really depends on what definition you go by. From a strictly economics definition, I've heard that the recession is over, in that some measure or other started rising.

That said, that's not what the majority of people define as recovery. (On top of which, employment is a lagging indicator anyways-businesses neither hire nor fire right when recession/recovery hits, they wait to be sure) So in one since, the summer was one of recovery, and in another, it wasn't. It depends on the definition. (Which is, obviously, splitting hairs, but its true)

The other factor contributing to people's anger with Obama is with regards to the economy, he only said he reduced the impact. He claimed it would have been worse otherwise. While it may be true, its also impossible to verify one way or the other, since nobody knows what would have happened under different policies. (And some were carryovers from Bush, so its somewhat hypocritical that he gets bashed for bailouts by Republicans-but thats politics for you)

Partisanship is certainly somewhat to blame for the way things have unfolded under Obama, but I couldn't say to what extent. It certainly doesn't help make legislation palatable to the majority of the country when one party obstructs everything. I personally believe that Republicans would have filibustered any proposal from the Democrats, and still will, in order to deny them anything they can claim as a victory for November, regardless of whether they agree with it. (Barring, I suppose, a policy that was significantly conservative in nature, but not proposing a Republican policy would be unfair to hold against Democrats) The amount of stuff that went on with the health care bill is symptomatic of it, I suppose. Some of the most egregious clauses in the original Senate bill got in because no Republicans would vote for it. This leads to the scenario where senators can hold the bill hostage, and you get things like the one appropriation for Nebraska (I could have the state wrong, it was somewhere in that area of the country that had something like $200,000 allocated to it).

Meh, I'm kind of annoyed with Republicans more than anything, but growing up with Bush in power really left a sour taste in my mouth as far as they're concerned. (And obstructionism doesn't help. Especially not when its justified by saying "They wouldn't have compromised" and such, which seems both unreasonable and unprovable, see the stuff about "it would have been worse")

Tetsaru
Sep 27, 2010, 05:19 PM
It helps when your picket signs and angry chanting are in the same language as that spoken by those in power.

Well, there were always these (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=251271) threads (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=251272) on the official forums, but look where that got us... :disapprove:

If I recall, most of the posts I had there were either edited or removed. Of course, I cared more about the game back then and tended to get angrier with my posts trying to defend it... ^^;

FOkyasuta
Sep 27, 2010, 05:40 PM

Molded?

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 27, 2010, 05:55 PM
I think it really depends on what definition you go by. From a strictly economics definition, I've heard that the recession is over, in that some measure or other started rising.

That said, that's not what the majority of people define as recovery. (On top of which, employment is a lagging indicator anyways-businesses neither hire nor fire right when recession/recovery hits, they wait to be sure) So in one since, the summer was one of recovery, and in another, it wasn't. It depends on the definition. (Which is, obviously, splitting hairs, but its true)

The other factor contributing to people's anger with Obama is with regards to the economy, he only said he reduced the impact. He claimed it would have been worse otherwise. While it may be true, its also impossible to verify one way or the other, since nobody knows what would have happened under different policies. (And some were carryovers from Bush, so its somewhat hypocritical that he gets bashed for bailouts by Republicans-but thats politics for you)

Partisanship is certainly somewhat to blame for the way things have unfolded under Obama, but I couldn't say to what extent. It certainly doesn't help make legislation palatable to the majority of the country when one party obstructs everything. I personally believe that Republicans would have filibustered any proposal from the Democrats, and still will, in order to deny them anything they can claim as a victory for November, regardless of whether they agree with it. (Barring, I suppose, a policy that was significantly conservative in nature, but not proposing a Republican policy would be unfair to hold against Democrats) The amount of stuff that went on with the health care bill is symptomatic of it, I suppose. Some of the most egregious clauses in the original Senate bill got in because no Republicans would vote for it. This leads to the scenario where senators can hold the bill hostage, and you get things like the one appropriation for Nebraska (I could have the state wrong, it was somewhere in that area of the country that had something like $200,000 allocated to it).

Meh, I'm kind of annoyed with Republicans more than anything, but growing up with Bush in power really left a sour taste in my mouth as far as they're concerned. (And obstructionism doesn't help. Especially not when its justified by saying "They wouldn't have compromised" and such, which seems both unreasonable and unprovable, see the stuff about "it would have been worse")

The Tea Party is without official affiliation with a political party, and may yet become a party of its own. Republicans in the spotlight tend to associate with it, but this is because a great deal of the Tea Party's collective views overlap with those most recently held by the Republican party. It's comprised primarily of Republicans and Independents, but also by a fair number of Democrats, as well.

Furthermore, with the direction that things were going before Obama took office, I don't believe that we would be without the Tea Party, even if John McCain had been elected. I don't believe that John McCain's policies would have been so substantially different, that we would be seeing a significantly better economy.

I think your views on the Republicans' acts in Congress are skewed. I remind you that the Democrats currently hold a majority in both houses so overwhelming, that they can pass any initiative that they can unite on. They don't need to convince the Republicans of a damned thing. They need only convince other Democrats. Anything the Republicans may do right now, is only a desperate attempt to have a say in the matter.

As for the Health Care bill... That whole mess was a shambles. They wanted the bill voted on, before anyone had really even had a chance to read it. Even many of its supporters could not tell you what was in it. The chief problem it presented, was a substantial increase in taxes. It also does things to the insurance industry that makes me think that if I were an insurance provider, then I would hastily get out of the business of selling health insurance. I have seen nothing from the Democrats which indicate to me that they, as a group, understand a damned thing about economics, business, or the mechanics of insurance, and frankly, I am baffled that they have been allowed to write an enormous bill which factors heavily into those three fields.

Randomness
Sep 27, 2010, 06:43 PM
The Tea Party is without official affiliation with a political party, and may yet become a party of its own. Republicans in the spotlight tend to associate with it, but this is because a great deal of the Tea Party's collective views overlap with those most recently held by the Republican party. It's comprised primarily of Republicans and Independents, but also by a fair number of Democrats, as well.

Furthermore, with the direction that things were going before Obama took office, I don't believe that we would be without the Tea Party, even if John McCain had been elected. I don't believe that John McCain's policies would have been so substantially different, that we would be seeing a significantly better economy.

I think your views on the Republicans' acts in Congress are skewed. I remind you that the Democrats currently hold a majority in both houses so overwhelming, that they can pass any initiative that they can unite on. They don't need to convince the Republicans of a damned thing. They need only convince other Democrats. Anything the Republicans may do right now, is only a desperate attempt to have a say in the matter.

As for the Health Care bill... That whole mess was a shambles. They wanted the bill voted on, before anyone had really even had a chance to read it. Even many of its supporters could not tell you what was in it. The chief problem it presented, was a substantial increase in taxes. It also does things to the insurance industry that makes me think that if I were an insurance provider, then I would hastily get out of the business of selling health insurance. I have seen nothing from the Democrats which indicate to me that they, as a group, understand a damned thing about economics, business, or the mechanics of insurance, and frankly, I am baffled that they have been allowed to write an enormous bill which factors heavily into those three fields.

Last I checked, the Democrats became vulnerable to a filibuster after Kennedy died. They lost the 60 votes needed to actually vote on a bill (The filibuster, as currently practiced, is aggravating at times), even though they could still pass any bill they wished - assuming it came to a vote. I don't really care for the shenanigans that followed with Kennedy's temporary replacement, and I recall Republicans picked up the seat in the special election (After the original health care bill was passed)

As far as insurance, the mandate to buy coverage makes sense. In theory, that provision would push costs down by increasing the size of the pool; more healthy people means each person has to pay less for the coverage of the sick. In theory, total income from premiums=operating expenses+profits+costs of treatment.

I agree on McCain, we wouldn't be anywhere significantly different, except that Democrats would probably be in a stronger position going into the elections.

Could you elaborate on the provisions of the bill that you think are bad for the industry, as well as the specifics of the taxes?

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 06:45 PM
If the issues were so clear cut it would go away with a return to the status quo (Which would be daft because that lifestyle is unsustainable).

Where was this anger when massive deregulation was being enacted? Where was that anger when we invaded Iraq on a pointless war with no real plan aside from Kicking Saddam out?

Where was the anger when some joker thought any industry will willingly regulate themselves responsibly when the bottom line is money?

I find it amusing that only 8 years after the fuck up happened people just now are getting angry.
That in of itself is fishy. I think they are pissed off more to the balance of control is no longer what it was during the 50s. That era has passed.

Now why I list that is those people are being manipulated to fight against things to their benefit by master spin doctors.

It's a real shame that the US has had a real lack of good strong leaders but that may just be a reflection of the population.

Sure some changes need to be made but I don't think the American people collectively have the balls to really change the system and make it work.

Let them have cake? Ha I don't think they have any idea how to make cake.

I think this issue will change only when they get burned again and will have to face the truth of the situation.

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 06:47 PM

Sega is too stupid to see that their ideas are stupid unless we set them on fire shall we get no meaningful changes. I think the issue with most things is people are too chicken shit to put these people to the fire.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
Apparently boobs are the foundation for almost any conversation.

FOkyasuta
Sep 27, 2010, 07:02 PM

LOL Dude. So True.

ShinMaruku
Sep 27, 2010, 07:29 PM
Why not?

Tetsaru
Sep 27, 2010, 07:31 PM

Of course. Boobs are always relevant.

It's a shame PSOW doesn't really SUPPORT them. :wacko:

FOkyasuta
Sep 27, 2010, 07:36 PM

*Sigh* Its A Shame...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 27, 2010, 07:48 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/HAYABUSA-FMW-/MrTshutupfool.jpg

-> http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2520945&postcount=132 (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2520945&postcount=132)

*Sigh* Its A Shame...
You Shouldn't Follow People, You Being The Guy Who Wants To Do What You Want, Your Way.