PDA

View Full Version : Illiterate PSPo2 players

DoubleJG
Oct 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
Oh how annoying it is when I choose to create a room that clearly states in the title that it is an AFK / Room visit room, and people still join asking "Want to do a run?", followed be "Let's go!".

I sure love how comment boxes are there for a reason, yet some players just choose to not read them or ignore them.

BIG OLAF
Oct 14, 2010, 07:16 PM
Pshh, it's not just about PSP2 illiteracy, but just people in general. I swear, it runs absolutely rampant in today's world.

I release a heavy, sad sigh whenever someone uses the wrong "their/there/they're", or "your/you're".

Apparently that makes me a "Grammar Nazi". I disagree; I think it makes me an intelligent person. I have low tolerance for adult humans who don't know how to construct a sentence or spell simplistic, everyday words.

*cough*...went a little off topic there.

Mike
Oct 14, 2010, 07:27 PM
It's not just the English version either. There were many times I found in the Japanese version where people just looked at the party name and jumped in without reading the comments. It makes me wonder if some people just have a visual blind spot where the comment box shows up.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 14, 2010, 08:12 PM
They do have a blind spot, it's called their ego. Other players think themselves way too important to be made to wait.

ashley50
Oct 15, 2010, 12:51 AM
Should be changed to "Illiterate gamers in general"...as others have said, its not mainly on PSPo2. People like these can be found on almost every game that's connected online.

Zeek123
Oct 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
I'm honestly more curious why you'd go online and sit in your room and leave your PSP on...

Kurosu
Oct 17, 2010, 04:00 AM
Pshh, it's not just about PSP2 illiteracy, but just people in general. I swear, it runs absolutely rampant in today's world.

I release a heavy, sad sigh whenever someone uses the wrong "their/there/they're", or "your/you're".

Apparently that makes me a "Grammar Nazi". I disagree; I think it makes me an intelligent person. I have low tolerance for adult humans who don't know how to construct a sentence or spell simplistic, everyday words.

100% agreed, my like-minded fellow. :)
Although I don't really mind if someone makes a spelling or grammar mistake once in awhile, but generally types in a sensible manner.
It's those people who use zero punctuation, use ellipses to continue their 8 line blocks of run-on sentences and generally type so poorly they wouldn't pass a lower education exam.

What's really sad is that most of the people who type like this are actually native speakers of the English language, but on the other hand, most Europeans who were only taught English a few years in school, or learned from TV/games, take more care in their writing than the former.
It always makes me wonder how these people ever passed high school, or if they are younger, how their grades in school are.

It's a mystery to me, do they write "normally" for school assignments and then let loose completely when they are on the internet and end up reverting to caveman talk?
If this is the case, then I wonder, why? It's not really more trouble to type in (semi) proper English, at least not to me.
And it's also outright rude, and counterproductive to your goals if you're asking a question on a forum.

At least, I know I wouldn't read a completely poorly formatted wall of text asking for help. If you're the one asking for help, at least show the courtesy of making it easy to read. Common sense, no?

And then there's the fact that the average "gamer" doesn't want to put any effort in doing research on their own for whatever questions they may have.
Nowadays walkthroughs and information databases are plentiful online, but even that is not enough.
They need to ask a question about information that could easily be looked up in a wiki somewhere, or through the search function of a forum.
And even after someone points them to a link where the information they seek can be found, often that is still not enough, since they are waiting for someone to copy-paste and spoon feed them the info they need.

Even in this forum, this kind of behaviour is rampant. Topics about the endings, the final boss, the JP DLC missions, "what's best X for Y..." are created ad infinitum.
This morning I saw 2 separate threads nearly next to each other on 'how to get the best ending', even though slightly below that was already a thread on this very topic with 40+ replies and everything laid out.
Doing a search would also reveal a goldmine of information, or simply checking the wiki on this would also suffice.

Different fora have different levels of moderation. I know a forum that makes doing your own research mandatory, any question thread that could easily be answered on your own is locked very quickly after being given that reason, and the community itself actively encourages people to do so as well.
Of course, it is a somewhat elitist community, but the threads there are comparatively very high level and the signal:noise ratio is some of the best as well.
I'm not a complete fan of such strict moderation, but it does work.

And then you have fora like GameFAQS/Battle.Net/IMDB etc, where you can basically post whatever you want, as long as it's not offensive or off topic, it won't be removed no matter how dumb or regurgitated it is.
This forum is somewhat in the middle, although I wouldn't mind if it was a few steps closer towards strictness.

Yes, I am a bitter, bitter person when it comes to things like this.

Mitz
Oct 26, 2010, 04:46 PM

Well it depends on the context. On a forum, I'll use proper sentences, punctuation, the works. But on a game, especially a game I play inside-out, I just can't be bummed to have 100% accurate spelling all the time. But yeah, I get frustrated if people time 'there' instead of 'they're' and the like. Especially when they are trying to advertise something(guild, item, anything) I take them 80% less serious.

Alexandria
Oct 26, 2010, 07:37 PM
I do question what the point of having a "AFK/Room visit" party is. Unless you're trying to get people in to cyber, or something lol.

Msr. Bojangles
Oct 30, 2010, 10:27 PM
I do, for the most part, agree. This is a fairly, if not HEAVILY annoying trait so many of today's 'gamers' possess. They seem to just skip through any and all text beyond an item name without a single care in the world, and then type/write in 'chat speak' when it is inappropriate. I try to keep silent about it, mainly because I dislike hurting feelings. While I do say English is a needlessly complicated language, I still say that the rules should still be followed for it while you speak in it, native speaker or not.

And I also would like to know why an 'AFK/Room Visit' party is necessary, anyway. o.o;;

HUcastRyu
Nov 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
I only use the default chat choices like lets go simply because its a tad bit quicker and I'm always on a tight schedule. I can however usually type out a decent sentence in 10-20 seconds with the psp.

Kion
Nov 30, 2010, 02:01 AM
I'm honestly more curious why you'd go online and sit in your room and leave your PSP on...

I'm also quite curious. If you want to be alone you can play offline, or turn off your psp for a minute. :-?

Roger Triton
Nov 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
If there were anymore acronyms for all the Pstar games, I would be cross-eyed
:-?

DoubleJG
Dec 5, 2010, 12:13 AM
Forgot I even made this thread. To those wondering why I or anyone else would make an AFK room, it is for two reasons:

1) To get people to visit your room for the room visit title.

&

2) To appear online for your friends so that they can message you when they arrive.

So yes, there was purpose to me doing this the two or so times that I made an AFK room.

Para
Dec 5, 2010, 12:54 PM
Im surprised no one has mentioned it but there is a bug in the english version where if you were to refresh the game list... the comment box would show the first game's comment box instead of your own if his cursor was on your game.

DoubleJG
Dec 5, 2010, 10:39 PM
Im surprised no one has mentioned it but there is a bug in the english version where if you were to refresh the game list... the comment box would show the first game's comment box instead of your own if his cursor was on your game.

Oh? How annoying...