PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 ddosing random people?

MillyB
Oct 25, 2010, 11:04 AM
My friend and some other people believe that someone on PSU is ddosing random people. Is there anyway to protect against this?

NiceOnes
Oct 25, 2010, 12:09 PM
What the hell is ddosing?

MillyB
Oct 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
Definitions of DDOS on the Web:

A Distributed Denial of Service attack; a DoS attack that originates from many different (geographically and network topographically) sources, on a network of networks such as the internet

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/DDOS

A type of external Internet attack, in which multiple sources attack a single target system, with the goal being denial of service for its users. ...
www.drcomputer.com/glossary.html
A form of network denial of service (DoS) attack in which a master computer controls a number of client computers to flood the target (or victim) with traffic, using backdoor agent, client, or zombie software on a number of client machines.
app1.dpim.go.th/svn/dses/DPIM500/DPIM500_Document/Tool/OIC%20Document/OICtext/Original/53_Information_Security_Policies_and_Standards/SC-Policy_A5.doc

Source:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&defl=en&q=define:DDOS&sa=X&ei=VbrFTKuqOMP6lwfAg_kF&ved=0CB4QkAE

BIG OLAF
Oct 25, 2010, 12:20 PM
Pretty much, taking all that into layman's terms, a DDoS attack is used to halt someone from going to certain websites (or any websites), or rendering someone unable to use an internet-based service, such as PSU.

TruInferno
Oct 25, 2010, 01:16 PM
Pretty much, taking all that into layman's terms, a DDoS attack is used to halt someone from going to certain websites (or any websites), or rendering someone unable to use an internet-based service, such as PSU.

That's not all. if they have a big enough botnet it'll knock your internet right off.

I don't see how someone can get your IP information through PSU though. so i doubt it.

MillyB
Oct 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
That's not all. if they have a big enough botnet it'll knock your internet right off.

I don't see how someone can get your IP information through PSU though. so i doubt it.

They can get your ip through Cain and Abel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_and_Abel_(software)

I am completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so I do not know what to tell my friend.

TruInferno
Oct 25, 2010, 01:24 PM
They can get your ip through Cain and Abel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_and_Abel_(software)

I am completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this so I do not know what to tell my friend.

Im sure you'd have to go through the PSU servers and they should have precautions, the only way i can think of is if they join a party with the person (xbox live party) and get it that way. And that's a lot of annoying work. I Also don't see the point... people usually have objectives....

BIG OLAF
Oct 25, 2010, 01:47 PM
Im sure you'd have to go through the PSU servers and they should have precautions, the only way i can think of is if they join a party with the person (xbox live party) and get it that way. And that's a lot of annoying work. I Also don't see the point... people usually have objectives....

Yes, and 90% of the time, their objective is simply to ruin other people's fun. I wish that wasn't true, but it is most times. I don't understand those types of people.

NiceOnes
Oct 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
Internet Vandals... I can't figure out their motivations either... If you're smart enough to pull something like that off why the fuck don't you go out and do something productive with your skills?

Powder Keg
Oct 25, 2010, 07:14 PM
There was a rampant kid who was banned running around (I'm assuming on a new account) doing this to players, a script kiddie, if you will. Best way to prevent this is to A.) have a firewall and B.) do not enter party chat with people you don't know over XBL. Game chat should be fine.

Vickie
Oct 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
use 3 firewalled routers, first two routers connected locally through ethernet cables and the 3rd through wireless connection to your xbox lol, they'd give up before they find your ip

SolomonGrundy
Oct 27, 2010, 05:25 PM
use 3 firewalled routers, first two routers connected locally through ethernet cables and the 3rd through wireless connection to your xbox lol, they'd give up before they find your ip

lol. the solution is worse thatn the problem

I can tell you why they do it:

Practice:

A lot of internet based attacks (hacking/spoof/SPAM are future internet felons perfecting their craft. If you someday want to commit corporate espionage, or steel money from low tech banks with poor internet security, you begin by "fun" attacks that will not provoke a significant legal threat. (SEGA USA is not coming after these guys).

KoolAidPitcher
Oct 30, 2010, 09:01 AM
In order to talk to/hear people over Xbox live, regardless of whether you are in party chat or in game chat, you must establish a direct connection with someone in your party. If you play with other people, you are connecting to other people in the party. Either you establish a direct connection with everyone in your party, or more likely, you establish a connection with half of your party members, and the other half act as a repeater for someone else's communications.

The following will NOT defend you from a DDoS attack:

Having a firewall (if a DDoS attack gets to your firewall, your downstream is already toast)

Not joining Party Chat (simply joining a party on PSU is good enough for someone to get your IP address)

Connecting a router to a router to a switch to a hub to some other doohickey (This does not make any difference whatsoever, because the attacker does not DDoS your Xbox, but rather your home internet connection.)

The following WILL defend against a DDoS attack:

Having an ISP which automatically detects and black holes DDoS attacks. No consumer ISPs do this.

Having more downstream than the DDoS attack is capable of flooding. For example, Kakarot claims to have a botnet of 3000 bots. Assuming each bot is capable of 256KB/s upload, you would need 750MB/s download speed.

Tunneling your internet connection through a VPN which is DDoS protected. In this case, the DDoS attack will stop at the VPN and your connection will remain unaffected.

Of course, if the D in the DDos is large enough, there is nothing you can do to protect yourself from it. If you have sufficient proof as to who is DDoSing people, you should report it to the FBI. It is a felony in the US and in the UK, it is a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison.

DoubleJG
Oct 30, 2010, 08:29 PM
If you have sufficient proof as to who is DDoSing people, you should report it to the FBI. It is a felony in the US and in the UK, it is a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison.

10 years? Yowza.

xmoonprismpowerx
Oct 31, 2010, 01:57 AM
Sounds like someone, honestly, has no life if they go through all that trouble.