PDA

View Full Version : Controller Support and My Annoucement Reaction

Hatemachine
Nov 16, 2010, 03:55 AM
When I saw this I did something I haven't done in a long time.....I actually screamed for freakin joy, I only got onboard PSO during it's original Xbox days, but even that brought about great times with interesting people.

I loved trading around for items (legit ones) knowing the approximate value of weapons across the board, meeting up with random schlomoes the world over and just chatting, it's strange to be asked how you like your country or what it's like living in the US and hearing the other persons description about the place they live.

All and all PSO was the most civil Multiplayer game I had EVER played, just short of the odd late night runs on Midtown Madness 3 while playing Hunter matches.

I can't wait for more info to be released on this, just hope that the PC version has better support for a controller than PSU had while it was on PC.

Allison_W
Nov 16, 2010, 05:51 AM
What was wrong with PSU's controller support? I used an old PS2 controller via a USB/PSX converter dongle without any problems.

Kent
Nov 16, 2010, 04:35 PM
PSU on PC did not have proper XInput support (meaning, the triggers on an Xbox 360 controller were recognized as a single axis, rather than two individual axes, force-feedback did not operate properly, and headset use can't be properly handled in-game - these are all things Xinput handles). Being that Xbox 360 controllers are basically de-facto PC controllers as well now, it's kind of an important thing to have if you're making a controller-centric game for a PC.

It's especially painful once you get used to holding B and using RB and RT (or LB and LT) to cycle through your weapons (or items) quick list - because only one of them actually works, the bumper, you could only scroll them in one direction. Not to mention, that's two fewer buttons on a controller you could use, anyway.

Being that it's also been part of the DirectX libraries since DirectX 9, it's gotten to the point where it's just silly to not support it.

Allison_W
Nov 16, 2010, 08:03 PM
You're right about the problem with XBox 360 controllers. I found that I actually needed those extra two buttons to fit all of PSU's functions, which is why I used the PS2 controller instead of the 360 controller.

Dragwind
Nov 18, 2010, 05:36 PM
I never tried the 360 controller for PSU, but I also used the PS2/PS1 controller adapter and it worked perfectly.