PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Reaction and Character Customization

_Kireek_
Oct 8, 2010, 11:37 AM
I literally jumped out of my seat and proceeded to shout very loudly. xD
I can't believe it exists! After 10 years I thought that we'd be only getting abysmal PSU spinoff after spinoff.
After reading some posts, it seems like the original guy who worked on PSO is back on-board. They need to boot out this cutesy anime crap, lose the crafting, and for the love of god, DO NOT LET PSU ANYWHERE NEAR THIS GAME.
The appearance of Photon Arts made me cringe but it's probably the only remotely good thing to come out of that catastrophe.
If they ruin this...they ruin my late childhood.

Seth Astra
Oct 8, 2010, 05:35 PM
I literally jumped out of my seat and proceeded to shout very loudly. xD
I can't believe it exists! After 10 years I thought that we'd be only getting abysmal PSU spinoff after spinoff.
After reading some posts, it seems like the original guy who worked on PSO is back on-board. They need to boot out this cutesy anime crap, lose the crafting, and for the love of god, DO NOT LET PSU ANYWHERE NEAR THIS GAME.
The appearance of Photon Arts made me cringe but it's probably the only remotely good thing to come out of that catastrophe.
If they ruin this...they ruin my late childhood.
So you don't want, say, the increased character customization of PSU?

FOkyasuta
Oct 8, 2010, 06:35 PM
It Depends On Why. Honestly.

Not This Again...

Seth Astra
Oct 8, 2010, 06:38 PM
Not what again?

Nitro Vordex
Oct 8, 2010, 07:58 PM
It Depends On Why. Honestly.

Not This Again...
I'm sorry if some people like originality.

Zyrusticae
Oct 8, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry if some people like originality.
You should be!

Originality is so horribly overrated. :sad:

Nitro Vordex
Oct 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Why would we need it when we could all dress like SSJ Goku and Sephiroth.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Oct 8, 2010, 08:48 PM
I would actually like some more character "look" customization, and possibly you can choose any base to be any class, but you couldn't switch it like you can in PSU at anytime (except maybe if you can play it offline). Also, RAmars and Humars better not look stupid in this one, it was difficult to make a not eye-sore HUmar.

Allison_W
Oct 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
All they need to do is put the little two-letter abbreviation (technically, they only need one letter) above the character's head along with their name and level.

Seth Astra
Oct 9, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, and it'd be pretty easy, with PSO's abbreviations and all. I dislike the idea of "x class will generally look like y."

FOkyasuta
Oct 9, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, and it'd be pretty easy, with PSO's abbreviations and all. I dislike the idea of "x class will generally look like y."

So Something Along Them Lines Of HUcast Will Be Gone? Or By A Long Shot.... Improved?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 9, 2010, 11:33 AM
visually identifying classes was really vagueWhy is that even necessary? If you needed to know someone's type, you simply hit tab a couple times.

Kent
Oct 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
Why is that even necessary? If you needed to know someone's type, you simply hit tab a couple times.
Character design 101: If you can't identify a character (in this case, a character class) by looking at their silhouette, it's a poor design.

Reason being, there's a queue in which people idenfiy various aspects of something too tell what, exactly it is. Only the first two are really important - first and foremost is shape, with color coming afterward.

Though this happens very quickly, it's very important in a game to be able to identify things very quickly as such. Probably one of the best modern examples of this would be Team Fortress 2, wherein you can identify who people are by their wildly-different shapes far faster than you can by any other means. This quick level of identification is obviously very important for judging what your enemies are going to be capable of doing, but also important in determining what allies you have that are at the ready, so you can tell how exactly to work with and support them.

For a game like PSO, this was taken to its logical extent with how the character creation system works: Though you can get a lot (for the time) of customization for how your character looks, all characters of the same class are easily-identifiable as such, despite all of these options. This was very well-done.

Contrast the character customization in PSU, where the only real easily-definable factor in telling what class someone is going to be is by looking at what weapons they're wielding and making some generalizations over what races will be playing what classes - which isn't always accurate, anyway. If you have to resort to a menu to know what a teammate is (and therefore to be able to infer what they will do or what they will be capable of doing), then that is simply poor design when it comes to any sort of action or fast-paced game. Even games that give players all sorts of visible equipment choices are more than capable of making characters of different types easily-definable by their shapes first.

It really is a very basic facet of character design which is really very important to a game, especially one that wants to be action-oriented.

Seth Astra
Oct 9, 2010, 01:46 PM
@Kent: I'd say that being able to identify a player's class at a glance isn't really necessary when it comes to PSO games. Why? Because you form a party before you even start fighting, so by the time the action starts, you should already what classes your team is, if you at all care. I still stand by my theory that "X class should always look like Y" is a flawed paradigm, and really shouldn't be followed.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Oct 9, 2010, 02:08 PM
Seth, in PSO, you created a party and then people joined, and they could leave and new people could join whenever, so, you wouldn't always know the classes you were plsying with except that they looked very different.

Seth Astra
Oct 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
I think you miss the point. My point is, that you have the time to check your team's classes, before you actually start the mission. Thus, being able to identify a class at a glance is not necessary.

Zyrusticae
Oct 9, 2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah, visual identification isn't really necessary in a co-op action-RPG. It's important in TF2 because you need to know what you're fighting, as a scout is a radically different opponent from a medic which is radically different from a soldier, etc.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 9, 2010, 02:28 PM
It's nice to be able to see what class they are from a glance, or at least what they're more oriented to play. I don't want to see a dude in magician robes start using an axe.

Though, that would be hilarious.

chrisy05
Oct 9, 2010, 06:06 PM
@Kent: I'd say that being able to identify a player's class at a glance isn't really necessary when it comes to PSO games. Why? Because you form a party before you even start fighting, so by the time the action starts, you should already what classes your team is, if you at all care. I still stand by my theory that "X class should always look like Y" is a flawed paradigm, and really shouldn't be followed.

Yes, the ability to identify a class at a mere glance is not necessity, however, I fail to see how such a feature is flawed; if anything, it would be entirely beneficial, with the exception of the limiting factor. Still, that's not to say that there couldn't be a wide (and deep) variety of customization options available for each class, even much more so than in PSO.

Seth Astra
Oct 9, 2010, 06:40 PM
I repeat: I dispise the idea of having character customization limited by class. I like Alison_W's idea of just putting the class above the player's head, along with their name. I think this would serve both purposes nicely.

Izuna
Oct 9, 2010, 07:58 PM
I repeat: I dispise the idea of having character customization limited by class. I like Alison_W's idea of just putting the class above the player's head, along with their name. I think this would serve both purposes nicely.

Shocking idea, because PSU already has this.

FOkyasuta
Oct 9, 2010, 08:20 PM
Shocking idea, because PSU already has this.

*Gasp* The Truth Is Revealed!

zandra117
Oct 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
Silhouette changes by add-ons
I wonder if this means we are limited to clothing by race/class again but with certain add ons or with higher rank we can expand our styles.

The fact that members of the Hunter's Guild were limited by their uniform styles was a story element in PSO episode III.

http://www.pso-world.com/gallery/data/542/medium/1841.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/gallery/data/542/medium/1851.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/gallery/data/542/medium/1861.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/gallery/data/542/medium/1871.jpg

Kent
Oct 10, 2010, 01:01 AM
Yeah, visual identification isn't really necessary in a co-op action-RPG.
If they're so unnecessary, then I wonder why other professionals making games understand and implement such ideas so well and often in these types of games.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 10, 2010, 01:28 AM
Wait a minute.

People are seriously arguing that your appearance SHOULD be linked to your class?

Holy shit.

The priorities for making an online RPG should be as follows:

Balance > Customization > everything else.

Seth Astra
Oct 10, 2010, 01:34 AM
@Ffuzzy-Logik: Actually, I see it more as:
Gameplay>Staying Power (How long before it gets boring)>Balance>Customization>Everything else.
The first two possibly being switchable. Wait, did we just agree? Huh, this is rare.

NeonaPulsar
Oct 10, 2010, 01:35 AM
@Ffuzzy-Logik: Actually, I see it more as:
Gameplay>Staying Power (How long before it gets boring)>Balance>Customization>Everything else.
The first two possibly being switchable. Wait, did we just agree? Huh, this is rare.

I agree with both of you. (though i haven't the time to read all the posts)

----

EDIT: Though, are there any more Screen shots yet? My friend and i need more to drool over on how fun it will be.

DuRaL
Oct 10, 2010, 07:25 AM
Silhouette changes by add-ons
I wonder if this means we are limited to clothing by race/class again but with certain add ons or with higher rank we can expand our styles.

to me this sounds more like the character's shadow will change if you change your shield, weapon, etc. ;)

Seth Astra
Oct 10, 2010, 09:02 AM
Honestly, I don't like the idea of adding some massive cash shop for weapons and armor. Clothing and possibly new areas, I'm fine with, but being able to just buy some really powerful weapon and armor kinda defeats the whole hook of PSO, spending days hunting for gear. Course, this is all IMO. I'd like to see something of a mixture between the two. In other words, a lower monthly fee, but with additional content you have to purchase (please, nothing radical that ruins the game if you are unable to get it).

Izuna
Oct 10, 2010, 09:14 AM
I want selling items to NPC to be worthwhile, similar to how Guild Wars based it's economy over what was popular.

I want bla bla bla
I want this, I want that.

We should just wait and see, 'cause I'm pretty sure they won't be making any changes according to this thread.

Malachite
Oct 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
Honestly, I don't like the idea of adding some massive cash shop for weapons and armor. Clothing and possibly new areas, I'm fine with, but being able to just buy some really powerful weapon and armor kinda defeats the whole hook of PSO, spending days hunting for gear. Course, this is all IMO. I'd like to see something of a mixture between the two. In other words, a lower monthly fee, but with additional content you have to purchase (please, nothing radical that ruins the game if you are unable to get it).

I have plenty of money for said "cash shops" and I still agree, they would totally ruin the game if they sold powerful items. You could just buy your way to power... What kinda fun is that? That's one of the main reasons of actually playing the game.

RemiusTA
Oct 10, 2010, 01:47 PM
Wait a minute.

People are seriously arguing that your appearance SHOULD be linked to your class?

Holy shit.

Wrong. Everything matters equally when you're trying to make a "GOOD" game.

This whole notion that one thing matters more than the other is whats wrong with JP videogames today. Thats how we got Final Fantasy XIII.

Italia
Oct 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
I can definitely understand and relate to one's appearance being linked to their class, and I have to say myself that in reality as long as this person if your ally--it really shouldn't matter as long as there is an alternative method of displaying their actual class. If you were say, playing Battle Mode and you could not tell what you were up against because a female CAST looked like an exotic dancer yet was wielding a dagger in one hand and a saber in other, I still don't really think it would matter. They're using a combination of weapons from two different class piles. Your concern should be taking out/avoiding that particular player, not delving into forensics to identify their class.

You can ask/check after the battle.

However, a customary appearance related to your class is something I am fond of because as stated already--it's a PSO thing and gives you the ability to readily decipher an android maid from a Newman in short-shorts and know what they're going to be totting.

My thoughts?

Maybe something like the Section Identifiers to display your actual class (if it's that important to you people out there), something like a wrist watch, or a necklace, a choker, or an ankle monitor with a certain color or symbol (such as a saber for Hunters or a magical symbol for Forces) that way all you need to do is look for that symbol on their accessory and you have your answer. Specific clothing for certain classes would be nice as well; such as a military beret or garrison cap for Rangers; that way you could still judge a character by their clothing, whilst still having the option of customization (providing that character chooses to wear a class-exclusive article).

Allison_W
Oct 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
I was going to restate my number-one clothing concern, but everyone already knows what it is. Suffice it to say, however, that I don't think class-specific clothing would help, particularly if it means some classes get really screwed on their wardrobe.

Jinketsu
Nov 17, 2010, 07:56 PM
I agree. That is one thing I would like to see from PSU - the ability to dress how you like without having to substitute good stats gear for cosmetics.

For some reason that's important to me. Haha.

Sinue_v2
Nov 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
Wait a minute.

Holy shit.

This.

The entire argument thus far in this thread over identification of a character's role at a glance at their shape is moot because the first article was never met. PSO never achieved anything close to balance until Blue Burst, and PSU has never achieved balance. Given the track record of such marvelous successes, I can't imagine why people here would think that PSO2 would be anything but horribly unbalanced. When you remove article two (customization), you are essentially restricting player expression of their prefered character, completely arbitrarily, in favor of a fixed developer set expression. It doesn't work, and is not welcome IMO.

Character customization was one of the few truly wonderful areas of PSU's experience... albeit they could have done a better job of it. But then, they always could. That road is a never ending fucking path of wants and desires which cannot truly be sated until players create their own content ala Second Life and such games. Not feasible in a case like PSO/PSU.

And then you have those assholes like me who take highly specialized classes and convert them to non-standard use while still being effective by filling niches which were never addressed properly by balance. For instance, I had a melee FOnewearl who's main arsenal of spells were buffs and debuffs to shore up my defense/attack deficiencies. A choice that made my team-mates VERY happy because they were always fully supported, showered with Resta, and didn't have to deal with nukes blinding them and kicking their framerates in the balls... all while doing decent damage even in Ultimate. I was preforming on a melee level roughly equivalent to a lvl 120 HUmar. Perhaps that would have been different were there another difficulty level starting at 130 or so... but since Ult could accommodate lvl 80 players, the game was stacked in a more favorable position for me. Plus I could still pull out the appropriate nukes when applicable at only slightly reduced effectiveness. RAbarta, being the only exception for it's freezing effecting. It found liberal application.

Lastly, as I recall, PSU supported class listing above the character's head - so you could still appraise your team's composition at a glance. Not that it was generally needed, since the class-specific scenarios touted at the game's launch were largely nerfed to a bland mayonnaise of homogeneous gout that only made certain scenarios/enemies "slightly annoying" without the ideal party setup, and far too easy with it. Also, it generally wasn't hard to estimate a party's composition at a glance anyhow if you just observe the weapon and play styles for a moment... which you have ample time to do in PSU, as opposed to the more split-second decision making needed in a FPS like Team Fortress 2.

This whole notion that one thing matters more than the other is whats wrong with JP videogames today. Thats how we got Final Fantasy XIII.

In an ideal world, yes. But we don't live in an ideal world, and modern day Sonic Team have proven by experience that they are not ideal developers of online RPGs. For the rest of life, we have to sort priorities and reach realistic expectations given the budget, talent, and deadline. Truly excellent games are few and far between, and nearly non-existent in the realm of online rpgs... and even the best games have their Achilles heels. Just because they are overlooked or minimalized by the excellence of the other aspects, doesn't mean they don't exist.

That every aspect of a game is equally important is like a rhetorical question. It's held to be true, but it's never meant to be actually achieved. It cannot be achieved.

Kent
Nov 19, 2010, 02:18 AM

That's not necessarily true.

Gameplay and making sure its balanced and fun to actually play is always paramount. The other aspects serve to simply elevate it from simply being "a game" into being "an experience" - and unless they're done excessively-poorly (painful sound effects, nauseating graphics, etc.), they pretty much always add to the experience, rather than detract from it - they just need the legs to stand on.

Allison_W
Nov 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
I guess I can live with customization being second banana as long as my wardrobe options aren't all fucking Preschool Sluts-label trash this time. If I'm really lucky, I might even get to unbreak my record.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 19, 2010, 10:43 PM

I would have to heartily disagree with this here, certainly it's great to have all the things worked out well, but if you ask me, In an MMO, the storyline is certainly nice to have, but in respect to the gameplay and customization it gets hugely dwarfed. Or maybe in a game such as Fragile Dreams where obviously story and tone are the most important thing, if they had taken less focus on those and put that on things like the combat system, the game just wouldn't be as good. (yes i know, that takes it to the extreme because the combat system was terribly poor and should have had more work). And then, take Legend of Zelda, the gameplay is clearly more important in that game then the storyline.

Drawers
Nov 20, 2010, 02:58 PM

Wtf are you talking about? PSU's customization isn't even great like that, it's nothing to shout about. The only genuine upgrade was seperated clothing pieces and colors, eye color, and the useless lipstick option (like seriously you couldn't even see a character's lips unless you had zoomed in on their face when they're not doing overdramatic attacks or moving erratically).

I would love to have character customization, with PSO quality that is. PSU, no matter what the outcome, could never give that full satisfaction. Where in PSO everything was so simplistic and to the point, that you just had to love it. Even though it was limited, everyone still had their own distinct identity just like PSU.

What I'm saying is, give us PSO's customization but with many options, and innovative tools to alter the character. Don't bring us that PSU has better customization shit, everything about that game sucked balls and for anyone to compare it to PSO can jump off of a bridge with that counter intuitive bullshit.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 20, 2010, 03:04 PM
well, i wouldnt go that far, PSU wasn't bad, and i never actually played it online even, it was definitely nothing close to PSO and some of its' changes such as magic being equipped to a weapon were stupid, but all around i was having a bit of fun just playing as Ethan. But yah, PSO is far far better

Seth Astra
Nov 20, 2010, 03:56 PM
Wtf are you talking about? PSU's customization isn't even great like that, it's nothing to shout about. The only genuine upgrade was seperated clothing pieces and colors, eye color, and the useless lipstick option (like seriously you couldn't even see a character's lips unless you had zoomed in on their face when they're not doing overdramatic attacks or moving erratically).

I would love to have character customization, with PSO quality that is. PSU, no matter what the outcome, could never give that full satisfaction. Where in PSO everything was so simplistic and to the point, that you just had to love it. Even though it was limited, everyone still had their own distinct identity just like PSU.

What I'm saying is, give us PSO's customization but with many options, and innovative tools to alter the character. Don't bring us that PSU has better customization shit, everything about that game sucked balls and for anyone to compare it to PSO can jump off of a bridge with that counter intuitive bullshit.
What I liked about the PSU/P character customization is that the outfits that you could choose from were more than just pallet swaps. Some outfits looked to be minor variations, but the outfits were all generally the same.

Randomness
Nov 21, 2010, 12:30 AM

So basically, you want to change the characters clothes without being able to change the characters clothes? Because right now, that's what it sounds like.

Also, PSU drastically improved on PSO in some areas. Its very jarring to try and melee in PSO after playing PSU, because animations are completely fixed in PSO.

Jinketsu
Nov 21, 2010, 10:32 AM
Jibber-jabber (long quote)

I don't understand. You say PSO's customization was better than PSU's because it was limited to 5 faces and maybe 20 clothing options? Is this bias or envy?

While I agree PSU as a whole did not fulfill the magic that PSO filled into my heart, it's still just a matter of opinion. And in my own opinion, I thought PSU's character creation customization options were far better than PSO's, because it allowed a far greater range of differences than PSO, limiting the chance of seeing 'clone' players - in addition to allowing us to wear what we want without sacrificing our good gear, to further allow us to customize the way we look while playing - and don't try to justify that by PSO's ability to raise a MAG via different colors and their different looks.

And you know as well as I do that the lipstick option, and other little features like that, are pretty much just for the people that care about their own character's looks. To some people, it's important to them for their character to look anywhere from cute to bad-ass, whether or not other people can notice those little differences.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 21, 2010, 12:51 PM
i do like large character customization options, its nice to look how you want to, so things like eye color are to me quite fun, but not essential, and i dont think PSO needs to go as far as a game like Oblivion or white knight chronicles with customization.

Chaobo99
Nov 21, 2010, 01:21 PM
I think a good variety of character customization is very important.
Most of the people I knew cared... and I recall people saying "I wish sega would raise the level cap soon...or at least give us new clothes!" or something along those lines...

Drawers
Nov 21, 2010, 04:41 PM
So basically, you want to change the characters clothes without being able to change the characters clothes? Because right now, that's what it sounds like.

Also, PSU drastically improved on PSO in some areas. Its very jarring to try and melee in PSO after playing PSU, because animations are completely fixed in PSO.

I guess what I said is confusing, but let me simplify what I'm saying. No modernized clothing like PSU, and bring back the crazy outrageous unhibited clothing from PSO and I'll be happy.

RagolBuilt
Nov 21, 2010, 04:46 PM
They should just make a modern day PSO on PS3, then i think everyone would be at least avid about it. I think a lot more people would play too. Hopefully they will do some thing like that.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
I guess what I said is confusing, but let me simplify what I'm saying. No modernized clothing like PSU, and bring back the crazy outrageous unhibited clothing from PSO and I'll be happy.You haven't seen the clothing in PSU, have you? There are maybe four things that DON'T fall under the category of "outrageous uninhibited clothing."

BIG OLAF
Nov 21, 2010, 06:48 PM
I'd rather not have a fixed outfit based on my class, thanks. One of the most fun things for me in PSU was/is making outfits and/or dressing up. If people are seriously saying that there shouldn't be any form of purchasable character clothing and visual customization (makeovers) in PSO2, then said people are pretty much dolts.

Drawers
Nov 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
You haven't seen the clothing in PSU, have you? There are maybe four things that DON'T fall under the category of "outrageous uninhibited clothing."

I've played PSU since day one unfortunately, and as a PSO vet I know what I'm talking about. The outfits sucked, PERIOD. They all had lame, modern historical themes with a stupid twist to them and an annoying light pattern if you had a lineshield equipped. None of them fit in the category of PSO, and that's how I feel.

All of the CAST parts sucked, they had poor detail and had absolutely hideous shapes. Some of the human and female outfits were interesting, but 70% of them were eastern, modern, and outdoorsy looking.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 22, 2010, 12:04 AM
I like how your argument is basically "They don't look exactly like the ones in PSO so they suck!" It's especially great, since all of the outfits from PSO were even in PSU.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that most of the costumes in PSU are terrible (especially the CAST parts, but either way they are still infinitely better than the bland lack of options in PSO), but your argument is specious as fuck.

Zarode
Nov 22, 2010, 03:33 AM
Why would we need it when we could all dress like SSJ Goku and Sephiroth.

Or both.

http://imgur.com/J2k7O.jpg

ColonD
Nov 22, 2010, 06:35 PM
I've got mixed ideas. I liked the clothing system of PSU, but I didn't like many of the clothes. I liked that in PSO everyone looked like a certain class, but some classes got the short end of the stick. (HUmars, RAmars, and FOnewms jump to mind.)
Since it's supposed to be PSO2, I would lean for it having the PSO options. I suppose the closest compromise would be starting in that classes' uniform, then being able to buy different outfits would be cool enough.

Though for body customization, I really like hairs and hats/accessories being separate, like in PSU. I missed PSO's coloring setup and height sliders, or the Auto/Random option. So much fun, you could make a damn Amazon or a tiny little Sword-swinger, and the colors weren't all muted. I just hope somewhere in the face options we can get scars, facepaint, and/or eyepatches though.

I suppose I'd be okay if they had to bring in Beasts if you could change what your transform looked like, I just don't want Tech/Magic/MAGIC-SCIENCE casting CASTS! Please nooo!

Thus I have expressed my thoughts. Some of them.

TLDR:

I like pretty colors and clothes, and my uninhibited (Relatively) straightforward sliders.