PDA

View Full Version : Console?

CDOG14515
Nov 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
I know it's just speculation at this point, but what do you guys think the odds are of PSO 2 coming to 360/PS3?

I played PSO Ep. 1&2 (and 3) back on the GC and Xbox and loved them, but wasn't feeling PSU after playing the demo. I feel that since the series started on consoles (and made the greatest impact there), it would be borderline offensive to not release PSO 2 on 360/PS3.

I'm not opposed to PC games (I'm a recovering WoW addict...), but PSO belongs on home consoles first, PC second. Let's not forget that the only active PSU servers are on a console...

I would go so far as to say I might pass on the game if it only hits PC (yeah, yeah: "one less idiot", "good riddance", etc., etc.). I know there are a lot of PC players out there and on these boards, but it just seems unnatural to me to play PSO on a PC (no offense to anyone here).

Anyways, just seeing what the general feelings on the game being PC-only were. I was shocked that there wasn't already a post along these lines.

-Cam

Ishia
Nov 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
Let's not forget that the only active PSU servers are on a console...

Japan doesn't exist.

Dragwind
Nov 23, 2010, 05:39 PM
At this point, it doesn't feel confirmed to me that it will be PC only, but currently that's what it appears to be. I have a hunch we'll see console versions.

Rei-San
Nov 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
I don't think it will ever be on a console, and personally I hope it never does.

If it's on the PC, then it will be a lot more easier to patch updates, fix problems, and add new feature to the game. The fact that they are putting it on the PC to me means that they are trying to keep better tabs on the community.

Dragwind
Nov 23, 2010, 06:16 PM
I personally agree that it would be best to remain on PC for those reasons, but depending on their team size and financial goals, making console versions could or could not benefit them.

GuitarHero72
Nov 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
dude i am with you. im just stoked that they are coming out with another PSO. and it would just be a smart thing to put PSO on the 360. i would buy it in a heart beat

Ishia
Nov 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
dude i am with you. im just stoked that they are coming out with another PSO. and it would just be a smart thing to put PSO on the 360. i would buy it in a heart beat

PSU 360. Think about it.

Kent
Nov 23, 2010, 09:26 PM
PSU 360. Think about it.
You're implying that there was ever a version of PSU that wasn't one giant mistake.

PSO2 being cross-platform on both the PC and 360 could work out very well if they worked with Microsoft and designed the game properly.

GHNeko
Nov 24, 2010, 03:11 AM
But then the PC version would have to be shaped to the 360 version of PSO2 which is a bad idea because you'd be losing out PC wise, like through more consistent updates, more add on content (its mandatory you charge for 360 DLC), regional barriers, a bunch of stuff. the list goes on.

I'd rather play with other countries on PC rather than play with people in my region on 360

Jinketsu
Nov 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
Final Fantasy XI is on the XBox 360 and doesn't suffer from lack of content updates or region locks or anything of that matter. Final Fantasy XI also installs every bit of data to the Hard Drive, so I'm sure that would be something PSO2 would need to do if it could be announced for the 360.

But the point is, There wouldn't really be any setbacks for 360 or PS3, having the ability to store massive amounts of data on the Hard Drive. The only drawback would be if PC, PS3, and 360 players couldn't play together, like they did with PSU.

But a counterpoint: Final Fantasy XI is available to play online with a Free account on 360. PSU is not. Final Fantasy XIV is not on the 360 because they couldn't make the same Free deal with Microsoft like they did with XI, when Microsoft gave the 'okay' while trying to push the 360 as an online-capable machine.

Not that's it's much of a counterpoint, but I know that's why I chose to play PSU on PC rather than on the 360. Gold costs AND Guardian's License costs? No thanks. Today I think most people have a Gold account (who own a 360), so it really wouldn't be a big deal.

BIG OLAF
Nov 24, 2010, 10:26 AM
. Gold costs AND Guardian's License costs?

You did know that one can play PSU on an Xbox LIVE Silver account, right? Unless you're talking about someone who plays other games. If so, then, yeah, it is a little annoying.

Jinketsu
Nov 24, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure about now, but back when PSU came out, it required an XBox Gold account to play online - in addition to the Guardian's License fee. Maybe that's changed by now...

BIG OLAF
Nov 24, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure about now, but back when PSU came out, it required an XBox Gold account to play online - in addition to the Guardian's License fee. Maybe that's changed by now...

It's changed, yes.

Kent
Nov 24, 2010, 02:15 PM
But then the PC version would have to be shaped to the 360 version of PSO2 which is a bad idea because you'd be losing out PC wise, like through more consistent updates
Not an issue. There are already games that operate just as their PC counterparts that receive regular updates on the Xbox 360, such as Final Fantasy XI, Phantasy Star Universe and Monster Hunter Frontier.

Besides, the Xbox 360 version of PSU gets updates just as often as the JP PC/PS2 versions, doesn't it?

more add on content (its mandatory you charge for 360 DLC)
This is false, and it really sounds like grasping for straws. Mandatory DLC costs have never been part of Xbox Live - this is pretty obvious to people who have a 360 and look at the marketplace regularly.

regional barriers
These are only imposed if the game's developers and publishers actually request it. That is, it's only going to happen if the people at Sega and Sonic Team wanted it to happen in the first place. Many games have worldwide online multiplayer on the Xbox 360 - not an issue.

See also, Phantasy Star Universe - it has cross-regional servers on the Xbox 360, and has since the beginning of service (as well as numerous other Xbox 360 games).

a bunch of stuff. the list goes on.
It sounds like you've been really misinformed about the real issues at hand here, because so far you've just been listing things that are simple misconceptions.

That is completely false. Xbox Live Gold has not been required for playing Phantasy Star Universe online - only the Guardian's License is required. Besides, inferring that the only thing someone is getting for an Xbox Live Gold subscription is online play for one game is pretty absurd, just because most people are going to have at least a few (not to mention all of the other non-gaming perks it offers).

You may be thinking of the "open beta" that was released on the Xbox Live Marketplace prior to the game's release, which does actually require an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play - but the full game has never required it.

Ezodagrom
Nov 24, 2010, 04:04 PM
If PSO2 is released on a console, it makes more sense if it'll be released on the PS3, since the bigger audience for the Phantasy Star series is Japan and the PS3 is much more popular than the XBox360 there.

Zyrusticae
Nov 24, 2010, 06:08 PM
Besides, the Xbox 360 version of PSU gets updates just as often as the JP PC/PS2 versions, doesn't it?
LOLWUT?

Where have you been?

The 360 version is STILL months and months behind the JP PC/PS2 counteparts.

IF a 360 version of PSO2 is released I doubt it will see anything different.

Kent
Nov 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
LOLWUT?

Where have you been?

The 360 version is STILL months and months behind the JP PC/PS2 counteparts.

IF a 360 version of PSO2 is released I doubt it will see anything different.
I realize you're a PC elitist, but you could try actually reading what I said instead of taking any chance at all to troll.

"Just as often" != Day-and-date content updates.

Zyrusticae
Nov 24, 2010, 07:29 PM
And why in the world would you care about it being updated "just as often" if it's over a year behind?

Seriously. Frequent updates are meaningless if they're consisting of pointless fluff.

Jinketsu
Nov 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
That is completely false. Xbox Live Gold has not been required for playing Phantasy Star Universe online - only the Guardian's License is required. Besides, inferring that the only thing someone is getting for an Xbox Live Gold subscription is online play for one game is pretty absurd, just because most people are going to have at least a few (not to mention all of the other non-gaming perks it offers).

You may be thinking of the "open beta" that was released on the Xbox Live Marketplace prior to the game's release, which does actually require an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play - but the full game has never required it.

Huh. I could've sworn when I went to activate a Guardian's License after the game came out it said I couldn't because I didn't have a Gold account. Maybe I was mistaken. It was too long ago to remember :P

Justyn_Darkcrest
Nov 25, 2010, 03:24 PM
Personally I'd love to see it come to consoles (Ideally 360 or Wii as I own those already). I remember reading a different thread about SOJ hireing ppl who have experience working with both Live and PS3 networks which left me hopeful that they are at least trying to do it. As others have stated I feel it belongs on console if for no other reason that on PC there are a lot more options for ORPGs that are considerably better overall.

That said I love the PS series and have since I started playing PHantasy Star 3 (my first game) many years ago and I'd love to get my hands on this next one (provided they can deliver on all the promised stuff in the teaser, global support being the most important)

One other problem I personally have if it comes out on PC only is I wouldn't have the finacial means to buy a new PC that could acually run the game (assuming it wont run on my 8 yr old laptop lol) So yes, I'm biast :p

Anon_Fire
Nov 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
If PSO2 is released on a console, it makes more sense if it'll be released on the PS3, since the bigger audience for the Phantasy Star series is Japan and the PS3 is much more popular than the XBox360 there.

True, but I think they should release it on PC first so they can fix whatever problems it may have, then they can decide to release it on consoles.

DaMan
Nov 25, 2010, 06:01 PM
I would love for it to come out on the 360 or a PS3 console, because i've missed out on BB because it was PC only.
still there is the possibility that Sega could be waiting on the NEXT generation of console hardware which some estimate to be atleast another 5 years away (give or take).

Its still too early to say I won't be getting it on PC just highly unlikely.

Unit_24
Dec 5, 2010, 12:33 PM
I see it going 2 ways:

1st: It will be released on consoles just because there is a large player base on them and thus increase revenue.

2nd: PC only because console will always have limitations on them. FF Online was also released on the PS2 and because of that, there is no chance to overhaul the graphics to better models. While a PC all you have to do is swap out a single card opposed to a whole new system.

I don't know if anyone have played Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) but it was a PC only MMO. This is a good example because with one of the expansions, they overhauls the character models and enviroment models. Something like this isn't possible, at least for long, on a console and when the next gen model, then what happens? There is a reason why PC games have so many expansions and keep living.

What is WOW was on the xbox or PS2 when it was release? WOW probably would have turning into WOW2 for the next gen consoles...

•Col•
Dec 5, 2010, 06:24 PM
If PSO2 does come to any consoles.... I'd think it'd only come to either PS3 and/or ported to Next Generation consoles.... If Sega DOES go with a monthly fee(which is likely) I don't think Microsoft will be as willing to let customers only have a Silver Xbox Live Account...

They let FFXI and PSU go by because they thought it'd help to bring in new customers... And it did. But now they aren't so willing... Where's my proof?

Square Enix TRIED to negotiate with Microsoft to get FFXIV to come to the Xbox 360, but they couldn't come to an agreement with Microsoft because on Xbox Live policies...

http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-live-policy-holding-ffxiv

It sucks, I know. Because I definitely would buy PSO2 for my Xbox AND PC.... :/ But yeah, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

They could bring it to the PS3.... And maybe they will port it over to the next generation consoles, though.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 5, 2010, 06:52 PM

The Xbox Live update validation process is the specific reason why the Western servers got so far behind the Japanese PC/PS2 servers. Sega of America didn't want to deal with a separate update schedule between PC/PS2 and Xbox 360, so the PC/PS2 updates were always delayed to coincide with the X360 updates. For this reason, I would not want to see PSO2 on the Xbox 360.

Aside from that, it's also worth considering that releasing for the Xbox 360 isn't really a very good deal for Sega either, as Microsoft requires a cut of their subscription fee. Releasing for the PC alone gives them something of a wild frontier to work with, rather than a maze of red tape.

Whatever they're going to do, I really think they need to release their primary game on only one platform. Maintaining the game over multiple platforms in multiple regions has been something of a disaster, and I'd rather not see that, again.

Kent
Dec 5, 2010, 07:38 PM
The Xbox Live update validation process is the specific reason why the Western servers got so far behind the Japanese PC/PS2 servers. Sega of America didn't want to deal with a separate update schedule between PC/PS2 and Xbox 360, so the PC/PS2 updates were always delayed to coincide with the X360 updates. For this reason, I would not want to see PSO2 on the Xbox 360.
And yet, Final Fantasy XI suffers no such delay in its updates since the Xbox 360 release.

Aside from that, it's also worth considering that releasing for the Xbox 360 isn't really a very good deal for Sega either, as Microsoft requires a cut of their subscription fee.
First time I've heard someone make that claim. Source?

NoiseHERO
Dec 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
So console wouldn't cripple infinite content, changes, game community, in anyway? @_@

I wonder when this game is coming out anyhow...

Personally gaming on PC, to me feels awkward admittedly but at the same time we all want this to be the ultimate PS right? 8D

Robocop II
Dec 6, 2010, 01:19 PM
You're implying that there was ever a version of PSU that wasn't one giant mistake.

PSO2 being cross-platform on both the PC and 360 could work out very well if they worked with Microsoft and designed the game properly.

THAT is more possible than the PS3. It would make sense too, well..to me at least.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 6, 2010, 04:01 PM
And yet, Final Fantasy XI suffers no such delay in its updates since the Xbox 360 release.

Final Fantasy XI has concurrent platform releases (the Xbox 360 version wasn't released until years after the initial launch, but it was also launched concurrently with an expansion, and as an up-to-date product, not starting from the beginning), and also has a consolidated update schedule. This is an administrative arrangement. It is likely that updates could come sooner, if there were no Xbox 360 version.

PSU PC/PS2 JP was released separately from PSU X360 and PSU PC/PS2. Update schedule consolidation was made between the X360 and Western PC/PS2 versions, but excluded the JP PC/PS2 version. The JP PC/PS2 version has a history of receiving updates more regularly and dependably, than the X360 and Western PC/PS2 versions. While the largest part of the difference are a result of the concurrence of MAG and the Error 60 incident, it's worth noting that the update schedule was already quite a bit slower.

First time I've heard someone make that claim. Source?

This isn't my original source for the information, but it documents it, anyway--
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/24/news-why-can_2700_t-mmos-release-on-360.aspx
http://www.ripten.com/2010/06/24/microsoft-subscription-fee-cut-demands-leading-mmo-devs-to-pass-on-360/

My memory could be deceiving me, but I believe there's a touch of discussion on the matter in an upcoming episode of the PSO-World podcast, as well.

I'd also like to point out that PSU was a substantially greater success in Japan on the PC than on any console. This makes it substantially more likely that they'll focus their efforts for future Phantasy Star titles for PC release, instead of console release. Based on this and their history, expect to be treated as a second-class customer, if you choose to play any version which is tied to a console version.

striker0
Dec 8, 2010, 11:25 PM
Personally, I'm glad that PSO2 is coming first to PC. I know there has been games that I wanted to play, but if I didn't have the system, I would have to wait and see if it would get a PC port. And when I did play the official PSOBB when Sega was running it, that monthly fee included updates. But who is to say, when and if PSO2 gets ported to the 360/PS3, not only would you have to pay the monthly fee, but you might have to pay additionally for content as well? I know it's a 'what if' situation, but the possibility that console users would have to pay 2 fees, instead of when pc users only have to pay 1, is still there.

Wayu
Dec 8, 2010, 11:29 PM
Will this come out for the Mac? ^^;

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 9, 2010, 01:25 AM
Will this come out for the Mac? ^^;

-Wayu

Maybe, maybe not. Most likely a windows product, however, you can dual-boot your mac computer with windows 7 or use a third-party program to load the game. Obviouly, it's more of a hassle but beats not playing:P.

Wayu
Dec 9, 2010, 01:27 AM
Good thing I have an application that can do that, then...

-Wayu

Chaobo99
Dec 9, 2010, 01:29 AM
I know it's a 'what if' situation, but the possibility that console users would have to pay 2 fees, instead of when pc users only have to pay 1, is still there.

When PSU was out, everyone I knew and pretty much everyone they knew had both gold live membership + payed the psu subscription, gotta get a break from psu sometime ya know lol. Not to say everyone is "ok" with paying two subscription fees for something, but a majority of the people I looked at didn't care. Played PSU since day 1, till maybe 2.5 years into it, and my hobby was seeing people's GT to read their mottos.

Wayu
Dec 9, 2010, 01:51 AM
Or SEGA could do the same thing in with PSPo2, with the codes and all.

-Wayu

Kent
Dec 9, 2010, 07:44 PM
Personally, I'm glad that PSO2 is coming first to PC. I know there has been games that I wanted to play, but if I didn't have the system, I would have to wait and see if it would get a PC port. And when I did play the official PSOBB when Sega was running it, that monthly fee included updates. But who is to say, when and if PSO2 gets ported to the 360/PS3, not only would you have to pay the monthly fee, but you might have to pay additionally for content as well? I know it's a 'what if' situation, but the possibility that console users would have to pay 2 fees, instead of when pc users only have to pay 1, is still there.
Of course, there's always the possibility that they may take the Borderlands approach: Patches are issued for generally fixing issues and updating everyine in preparation for a new expansion, but then additional expansions are released periodically for a small fee.

Borderlands has been wildly-successful with this sort of model, and as a game with a very similar overall gameplay model (it could be more accurately compared to Diablo II than to PSO - but anyone who's played those two know how very similar they are) it also saw massive critical success.

Basically, it did just about everything right with this model: You get everything in the base game for the initial purchase price, which has quite a large amount of content on its own. After that, there are periodically new expansions released that each have a significant amount of new content to them (though exactly how significant would vary - one of them could be seen as being the rough equivalent of Episode II, whereas the others are either smaller side-stories or scalable content that's designed to provide an intense challenge, but no story signifigance).

All of the expansions themselves were $10 at release time, and none of them were required in order to play any other one (you just need the base game, and all except the aforementioned Ep.II-style one scaled down or up to your level), and have seen special discounts or permanent price drops since then - as well as all of them being bundled together with a Game of the Year edition, about a year after the base game's initial release. All of this, of course, was on top of them releasing patches to fix bugs and one that provided a free level cap increase to everyone.

Naturally, the most significant part about this entire payment model is that players pay for what they want to play - rather than paying continuously just for access - and, of course, all of these expansions are just that: expansions onto an already-complete game, and most certainly not just unlocking on-disc content (the total data size of these expansions is somewhere around 6GB).

The feasibility of this model has been proven already though: The fourth expansion released was done purely because of fan demand for downloadable content, being given the green light by the publisher just after seeing the success of the previous ones (and they've even hinted that they'll do more if the fans want it).

Naturally, of course, the feasibility of this really hinges on the initial game having the quality and exposure required to attract enough players.

Jinketsu
Dec 17, 2010, 06:21 AM
Every game that has a marginally expansive set of new areas, monsters, and/or items generally decides to charge you for the content its developers have been working so hard on. PSOBB may have recieved plenty of patches and updates, but I'm sure that was probably just to fix issues and add in simple holiday or event related material.

I personally wouldn't mind paying $10 for a few new areas and items. I also personally wouldn't mind paying $30 for an expansion to the main story with new areas and a continuation of where the main story left off. I love it when a game gets a continuation - especially when the story is good!

Anon_Fire
Dec 17, 2010, 11:43 AM
Or SEGA could do the same thing in with PSPo2, with the codes and all.

-Wayu

Something similar to the "Little Wing License"

EvilMag
Dec 17, 2010, 04:07 PM
if PSO2 comes out on the Wii, then R.I.P PSO2.

venn2010
Dec 19, 2010, 11:40 PM
I hope PSO2 comes to PS3... no other reason than I own a PS3 myself. Haha.

And speaking of PC version, I'm going to declare that anyone saying "just replace your old video card with new one and problem solved, plus it's only few hundred bucks" is only half-correct. This statement only applies if your current PC is less than few years old and able to accept latest v-cards. Every motherboard has a limit on the new technology it can accept... if it weren't I could be still using my old '98 PC by keep upgrading it! Plus, not everyone has a full fledged desktop. Some have laptops, and others have some specialized PC's that are impossible or very difficult to upgrade...

Sooner or later, everyone has to purchase a new gaming rig in order to run latest games in an acceptable setting. And those don't come cheap.

If someone is able to get away by just replacing their video card, then that means he/she already owns a gaming rig... only from previous generation. And I bet that it wasn't cheap back when he/she bought it.

What I'm trying to say is that in the long run, no matter how you look at it, console gaming is cheaper than PC gaming. Period. And I'm even willing to bet that this is one of many factors contributing to slow decline of PC gaming overall.

I've been a mostly a PC gamer for most of my life. And I'm tired of playing keep-up's every time a new game that I want to play comes out. At the very least, with a console, you buy one & you're set for many years till next one comes out. If I were a richer person, I wouldn't have minded all the hassle, but alas, I'm not... and console gaming fits more for my budget. I can play what I want, as many as I want, on a console. On PC? Nope.

And today's consoles are so capable that they might as well be a PC themselves... They can go online, have hard drive, and etc... So all the stigma & disadvantages relating to consoles are pretty much moot.

Checkmate
Dec 20, 2010, 06:53 AM
And speaking of PC version, I'm going to declare that anyone saying "just replace your old video card with new one and problem solved, plus it's only few hundred bucks" is only half-correct. This statement only applies if your current PC is less than few years old and able to accept latest v-cards. Every motherboard has a limit on the new technology it can accept... if it weren't I could be still using my old '98 PC by keep upgrading it! Plus, not everyone has a full fledged desktop. Some have laptops, and others have some specialized PC's that are impossible or very difficult to upgrade...

Sooner or later, everyone has to purchase a new gaming rig in order to run latest games in an acceptable setting. And those don't come cheap.

If someone is able to get away by just replacing their video card, then that means he/she already owns a gaming rig... only from previous generation. And I bet that it wasn't cheap back when he/she bought it.

And today's consoles are so capable that they might as well be a PC themselves... They can go online, have hard drive, and etc... So all the stigma & disadvantages relating to consoles are pretty much moot.

You're actually right in this, except you won't lose all the information and convienence of what's on your HDD, i.e. music, movies, games, pictures, apps, etc. PS3 debute price was between 400-700$? 360 was 300-600$? and Wii (which has sold just slightly less consoles than both of them combined) was 200-300$?

Sad part of consoles are console shelf life, limited (if any) backwards compatability, and support. Both Xbox 360 and Wii have been out for approx. 5 years... which means, those companies are already in production of the next-gen systems.

Console shelf life is.. what, 8-10 years at best? Longest was PlayStation 2?

MicroSoft's support of the original Xbox damn near non-existed (unless you were a Bungie product)... while Nintendo kept the Gamecube alive with a mini-disc reader and 4 input slots for the GC controllers. PS3 backwards compatability was severly limited (cant even play my Persona 3 :cry: ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStat ion_2_and_PlayStation_games

My general point being, when the original PSO released on Dreamcast, went to Gamecube with PSO Eps. 1&2 then Xbox... players got split up, some got support that others did not, different loot tables and graphic capabilities yet still no cross platform servers; meaning Dreamcast players can't play with Xbox players however we could play with the Japanese (love those guys).

Upgrading a PC, 1-2 piece at a time over a 1-2yr period would be significantly lower cost if you do your bargain shopping. Just my .02

////////////////////////////////////End Wall o' Text/////////////////////////////////////

Jinto117
Dec 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
In all liklihood, if it's only been confirmed thus far for PC then people should not be surprised if the only other console it releases on is the PS3. We must all remember that Microsoft is like the stuck up mother who doesn't want her children playing with "those other kids". Again remember that "PSU PC" and "PSU PS2" shared the same server. Yes, PSU did come out for the 360 but I want to believe Sega is taking PSO II seriously and developing it for PC mainly and perhaps with the PS3 in the back of their heads. If they also decided to develop a 360 version that might eat up a good chuck of the development budget.

I only hope that PSO II PC isn't hacked to death like PSU was. But considering it's Sega and not a Blizzard I don't have much faith in them in that respect.

Manticore
Dec 24, 2010, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a console release, though I will play exclusively on the PC.
My only concern is that Microsoft is very stingy when it comes to cross platform servers, so the xbox version will most likely be independent like Phantasy Star Universe. I blame the xbox version for the PS2/PC's demise. I know updating will be a problem too, but current Gen consoles seem plenty capable of updates like the PC is, bar Wii.

Kent
Dec 24, 2010, 05:15 PM
I blame the xbox version for the PS2/PC's demise.
There's a new one. What makes you think this?

Rashiid
Dec 24, 2010, 06:10 PM
In terms of convenience, I'd love for it come out for Ps3 or Xbox 360 as well. I was raised on consoles so most, if not all, of my friends are on consoles of some sort.

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 24, 2010, 07:43 PM
Although there is literally NO support for RPGs on the Wii, I wish one of those consoles would be the Wii.

At a minimum, it should come out on the 360 + PC.
At best, it will be 360/PC/PS3 & perhaps a handheld.

The marketing gurus will know where best to put the resources to gain the most subs. And personally, from what i've heard the PS3 is difficult to program for. So I'm guessing 360 + PC will be it.

Jinto117
Dec 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
The only way I see a possible Xbox 360/PC cross server situation is if the game was a "Games for Windows Live" PC release. However, I'm quite sure that's not the case. I really don't wanna see another segregated platform situation for PSO II.

Jinketsu
Dec 26, 2010, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a console release, though I will play exclusively on the PC.
My only concern is that Microsoft is very stingy when it comes to cross platform servers, so the xbox version will most likely be independent like Phantasy Star Universe. I blame the xbox version for the PS2/PC's demise. I know updating will be a problem too, but current Gen consoles seem plenty capable of updates like the PC is, bar Wii.

Whaaaaaat. How could a system that's still currently supporting the game be the cause of other platforms' demise? That doesn't make any sense.

Anon_Fire
Dec 26, 2010, 09:37 AM
There's no way i'm seeing PSO2 coming to 360, why?, because of XBOX Live's 'closed environment'

Lots of things change over the years.

Chaobo99
Dec 26, 2010, 10:24 PM
it'd be sad if the final product only gets released on PC.

Yup because I know a heck of a lot of people will play if it comes out on consoles. And then a great number of those people won't play on PC if it only comes out for that. It's just limiting the wide range of possible customers.

I'm near positive that everyone/a majority of people who are on X360 PSU will move to PSO2 X360, and then I know a lot of people who played X360 PSU, quit, moved to X360 FFXI, will also play on X360 PSO2. So putting on it X360 pretty much guaruntees customers for the most part. No one really knows for sure what'll happen though. It might just Blue Burst V2.0 and be PC only >.>

Benzu
Dec 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
PSO was for the XBOX for a limited time. I think they do it again. It should be a tri-release: XBOX360 and PC.

Let's face it, not everyone has access to the PC. I'm not even sure my laptop could handle the hardware requirements of a PSO2, and I'm definately sure it would not have the capacity to play it with "optimum settings". But how many people have an XBOX360 in comparison to a Windows PC (That's fit to play games), A LOT MORE. Put PSO2 on the 360 and get SO many more customers, it's just that simple, and it will save the frustration of installation and setup. Plug and play, is what I think. But I think it would be the best of both worlds if the PC and XBOX shared the same servers allowing people to play how they prefer.

ChaosAngelic
Dec 28, 2010, 09:12 PM
Guys, it won't be released on the 360 unless Sega either makes a deal with MS or separates the servers. The first is highly unlikely and the second... think PSU. It's not an ideal situation.

If there's a console release, it'll be for the PS3 - the 360 has Live and the Wii's too restrictive.

Anon_Fire
Dec 29, 2010, 11:25 AM
Guys, it won't be released on the 360 unless Sega either makes a deal with MS or separates the servers. The first is highly unlikely and the second... think PSU. It's not an ideal situation.

If there's a console release, it'll be for the PS3 - the 360 has Live and the Wii's too restrictive.

This!

kirtblue
Jan 2, 2011, 03:31 PM
I have to say if its pc only ill skip it not that anyone cares but personally i HATE pc gaming its the reason why blue burst is the only phantasy star i never played

Anon_Fire
Jan 2, 2011, 09:55 PM
I have to say if its pc only ill skip it not that anyone cares but personally i HATE pc gaming its the reason why blue burst is the only phantasy star i never played

You may reconsider trying PSO2 on PC if it has gamepad support.

Chaobo99
Jan 2, 2011, 10:13 PM
You can get any PC game to run a gamepad(controller). Either it supports it or you use software to hotkey things.

Kent
Jan 3, 2011, 02:22 PM
Not to mention, it's a PC game that's probably being developed in Japan. They really like their controller support for PC games.

HappierWorlds
Jan 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
I personally agree that it would be best to remain on PC for those reasons, but depending on their team size and financial goals, making console versions could or could not benefit them.

AGREED.
Everyone, their Mom and their dog owns a PC these days.
Being that PSO2 =/= Black Ops in terms of HW requirements, it should be easy to bang out a technically beautiful game. Might even play on 3-4 yo systems.

Cut the c--- SEGA & make a good ORPG that anyone in the world can play. Don't force them to buy one console over the other.

PC ONLY!

Anon_Fire
Jan 3, 2011, 06:30 PM

That's because it was in it's infancy, they allowed FFXI on 360. Times have changed now.

You can just forget about PSO2 being on 360.

And another thing, we still don't have enough information about PSO2 yet, and the date for the beta hasn't been announced.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jan 3, 2011, 06:46 PM
Everyone, their Mom and their dog owns a PC these days.

Owning a PC isn't the issue for a lot of people, it's owning a PC that can run a new high graphics game, for example: my current PC (6+years old) can't run most new games that come out and frankly I do not have the money to buy a new one. Where as I already own a 360 and Wii.

So I'm definatly in the same boat as a lot of others who would love to see this game come to consoles so long as they keep a united server to avoid one of the major issues that haunted PSU from day 1.

Reksanden
Jan 3, 2011, 09:36 PM
My PC is brand new, and while i haven't tested it's max capabilities, it plays The Last Remnant(this is a laptop, mind) without TOO many problems, other than a lag, especially on the attack scenes(AKA Gae Bolg, Omnistrike, smoke/dust effects, but I don't have a problem with the Arcana spells like Blackout and Whiteout). Anyway, it seems to run well with newer games, so I shouldn't have a problem running PSO2. I'm thrilled that it's PC-guaranteed, as I have neither a 360 or PS3.

kirtblue
Jan 4, 2011, 06:10 AM
Owning a PC isn't the issue for a lot of people, it's owning a PC that can run a new high graphics game, for example: my current PC (6+years old) can't run most new games that come out and frankly I do not have the money to buy a new one. Where as I already own a 360 and Wii.

So I'm definatly in the same boat as a lot of others who would love to see this game come to consoles so long as they keep a united server to avoid one of the major issues that haunted PSU from day 1.

thank you sir i could not have said it better myself

TheBlackMage
Jan 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
As long as they keep the requirements simple and not try to showcase graphical display most PC's should be able to handle it. My Netbook that I used to have a year ago before it broke could run PSOBB with no problems and this was a basic bare-bones laptop that was worth $250. But if they try to wow everyone with intense graphics then this PC only issue can become a huge hassle.

My guess is if they keep the graphics simple then it'll probably be PC only but if they bring in PSU or higher quality graphics then its probably safe to assume that there will be a console release as well.

Jinketsu
Jan 6, 2011, 07:41 AM
My guess is if they keep the graphics simple then it'll probably be PC only but if they bring in PSU or higher quality graphics then its probably safe to assume that there will be a console release as well.

That actually sounds a little backwards. Why wouldn't they focus on a console version if the graphics are simple? They obviously wouldn't have much labor time for the graphic designers, and would have quite a bit of extra development time in their release window to code the game for more than one system.

TheBlackMage
Jan 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
I think its because if the graphics are simple most PCs can run the game. And since everyone has a PC (aside from the few who have macs) just about everyone would be able to play the game therefore eliminating the need to make a console version. However if the graphics are complex not everyone has a gaming PC that would be able to handle it. So a console version might be produced since many people who don't have gaming PC's have consoles.

Tetsaru
Jan 9, 2011, 11:00 AM
I think PC would be the best choice overall, although I could also see this game possibly being ported to PS3 and/or 360. I think the biggest issue would be trying to come to an agreement on how consoles and regions would be split up, and I would not want to see them separated and treated differently like how PSU was. So for now, I would have to say I would want PSO2 to ONLY be on PC. Besides, buying new PC parts and building one on your own, if you knew how, would probably save you a lot of money over buying a retail brand pre-built PC, and would cost about the same as getting a new PS3 or 360 console, give or take a few hundred dollars depending on what you get.

Frozensword
Jan 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
I am a console gamer. I tried pc gaming and didn't like it. To me, it would be offensive for PSO2 to not be on a console. It being on the console (360 actually, I don't really like my PS3 much) is the only way I will get it. If it is not on a console, they will lose a major part of their fanbase that PSO and PSU created.

Jepp027
Jan 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
If it came to consoles than consider me in. Nothing I would love more than PSO2 on a console. It's nothing against PC gamers, their version would likely be better. But PC be damned I want my achievements!

Ce'Nedra
Jan 11, 2011, 07:01 AM

This exactly, my PC won't ever be able to support it and upgrading it for a game while i don't game on a PC at all? Nah....

As long it won't get 360 only im fine, i got my PS3 collecting dust atm due to the lack of games that intrest me, so PSO2 would be nice to play it on.

I'm also positive that it won't come to the Wii somehow, unless by that time they introduced a Wii 2 or something that can handle high end graphics and such as well free online support (lol) then yeah i think it will be a PC/PS3 crossover plus a seperate server for 360 IF they release it on there, just like with PSU and AotI.

Ithildin
Jan 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
PC for oh so many reasons.

Frozensword
Jan 15, 2011, 04:11 PM
Why are so many pc gamers against PSO2 being on a console? The only way I will buy it is if it is on a console just like many others have said before me. They could do a different server like they did with PSU, and it wouldn't affect any pc gamers. Did you guys forget the the first PSO made a name for itself because it showed that a mmorpg game can be made for a console? In the United States, console gamers made up like 90% of the fanbase of PSU. The PC servers even got shut down when the xbox 360 server is still going strong.

Ithildin
Jan 15, 2011, 05:30 PM
Why are so many pc gamers against PSO2 being on a console?

Seems to me like its you console gamers that are being irate about all this. I'm not sure I agree with that term anyway as I play on both PC and 360.

Fact is PSO2 has been announced so far for PC only. I for one hope it stays that way. If not though, I won't be losing sleep over it.

DoubleJG
Jan 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
I don't want to buy a new PC or laptop because of this game (good chance that I may need to for Diablo III, though).

Hoping that it gets a console release as well as a PC one.

Ithildin
Jan 16, 2011, 06:12 AM
I don't mind buying a new PC for PSO2 and its likely I will have to. Hell I bought a Wii for Monster Hunter. Other than the latter PSO/U are the only games I tend to actually play online with others. I have a full time job and no kids so its no big deal for me.

Kurono
Jan 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
I don't want to buy a new PC or laptop because of this game (good chance that I may need to for Diablo III, though).

Hoping that it gets a console release as well as a PC one.

Personally I think if Sega optimises the game for lower spec systems you probably won't need a new computer. If I can't run on my Core i3, 6Gb ram system then I probably won't touch the game.

I wouldn't mind the game on the PS3, as it comes with a hard drive as standard so updates to the game if they shared the servers with PC users wouldn't be a problem.

venn2010
Jan 18, 2011, 03:11 AM
Personally I think if Sega optimises the game for lower spec systems you probably won't need a new computer.

I agree, but why am I getting this weird feeling that they won't be doing that? I'm rather getting a vibe that they are opting only for PC, for its raw processing power...

Because current consoles work just fine for bit lower spec. Not to mention consoles now have all the necessary tools for proper online games (HDD for updates, various tools for communications, and etc). this isn't the yee ol' days of Dreamcast...

unicorn
Jan 18, 2011, 04:26 AM
I think it should be on PS3 and PC.

I wouldn't be able to upgrade my current PC to play PSO2 if the graphics are UBAR. It would be much cheaper for me to just buy a PS3 for $200-$300 than a brand new GAMING computer.

BIG OLAF
Jan 18, 2011, 11:27 AM
I don't mind buying a new PC for PSO2 and its likely I will have to...I have a full time job and no kids so its no big deal for me.

Well, some people (that don't have those types of fund to throw around) do mind, myself included. Some people don't have a full-time job, or do have kids, and can't afford to buy a new laptop and/or upgrade their desktop.

Kurono
Jan 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
I agree, but why am I getting this weird feeling that they won't be doing that? I'm rather getting a vibe that they are opting only for PC, for its raw processing power...

Personally I think they'l have no choice but to find a middle ground between mainstream PC users and the more hardcore(As in those with uber rigs). I'm not too worried.

They will likely do this because they want as many subscribers as possible, making it so advanced the mainstream audience can't play would kill the game.

Making it for the PC is probably just a starting point for them. They'l likely port it due to demand.

Can't see it being on the 360 if they go all out MMORPG style, much in the way FF14 was held back due to Microsoft on the 360.

Frozensword
Jan 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
All I ask is for it to be on the xbox 360 too. If they do that, I won't complain about anything else. Remember, the only server that is still going for PSU is the xbox 360 server. That is a big enough hint to show that it needs to be on the xbox 360 too.

Dongra
Jan 19, 2011, 04:36 PM
Correction, the only western server that is still going is the 360 server. PSU's main population stems from the Japanese servers. I believe their PC/PS2 server is the stronger one. The main reason the western PC/PS2 servers died so fast was due to early hacking and a major delay from Sega of America to fix it. If Sega plans on taking PSO2 seriously then they are going to need a better anti-cheating service and, hopefully, global servers.

Rashiid
Jan 19, 2011, 05:10 PM
All I ask is for it to be on the xbox 360 too. If they do that, I won't complain about anything else. Remember, the only server that is still going for PSU is the xbox 360 server. That is a big enough hint to show that it needs to be on the xbox 360 too.

If the Japanese stopped playing the 360 platform for it, they would've cut the cord YEARS ago, lol.

Kurono
Jan 19, 2011, 05:23 PM
The main reason the western PC/PS2 servers died so fast was due to early hacking and a major delay from Sega of America to fix it.

So it wasn't due to people getting bored of playing the game and moving on to other games? Surprised.

Anon_Fire
Jan 19, 2011, 05:48 PM

Which may not happen, because of Microsoft and XBOX Live.

OFF TOPIC: I mean, look what happened to FFXIV and Champions Online

Kurono
Jan 19, 2011, 05:55 PM
OFF TOPIC: I mean, look what happened to FFXIV and Champions Online

And some other services too. Like the Iplayer in the UK.
Basically comes down to Microsoft hating Silver users and demanding you have Gold to play MMORPGs, or any service they deem as premium.
Developers are saying they don't want their customers paying more money ontop of what they are charging to subscribe to the game.

It could end up being Phantasy Star Online 2s undoing on the 360.
All this depends on how Sega wants to deal with the issue, they may just give in to Microsofts demands.

Dongra
Jan 19, 2011, 06:30 PM
So it wasn't due to people getting bored of playing the game and moving on to other games? Surprised.
That would be the final downfall of the game. The games population took a major hit when hacked meseta showed up in the early cycle of its lifetime, but the game became boring once White Beast was introduced.

FOkyasuta
Jan 19, 2011, 07:24 PM
I smell PS3.

ShinMaruku
Jan 19, 2011, 10:35 PM
It will be Console PC the console margins on profit are much higher. They would be daft to go pc only. But this is sonic team daft is their middle name.

Kurono
Jan 19, 2011, 10:37 PM
I smell PS3.

Me too. It'd be a quick and easy way for Sega to tell if they have a hit or a dud on their hands in Japan before releasing internationally.
Good non FF/KH RPGs sell reasonably well in Japan, the bad ones get ignored.

Chaobo99
Jan 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
That would be the final downfall of the game. The games population took a major hit when hacked meseta showed up in the early cycle of its lifetime, but the game became boring once White Beast was introduced.

Don't remember if it was hacked meseta or some item, but when they banned 25% of their population, another 15+% left with them. That's a major buzz kill with PSU's already very tight community at the time.

FOkyasuta
Jan 19, 2011, 11:27 PM
Me too. It'd be a quick and easy way for Sega to tell if they have a hit or a dud on their hands in Japan before releasing internationally.
Good non FF/KH RPGs sell reasonably well in Japan, the bad ones get ignored.

Besides, Sega is with Sony. At the most that is.

Frozensword
Jan 20, 2011, 06:44 PM
I was talking about the western servers. For over here in the US and UK, the only server still up is for the xbox 360.

Chaobo99
Jan 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
Besides, Sega is with Sony. At the most that is.

I think they're with everything.

FOkyasuta
Jan 20, 2011, 09:03 PM

O right. - Microsoft.

Kurono
Jan 20, 2011, 09:27 PM

Hey it worked. They're no longer in debt from the Dreamcast, and in some ways, all it cost them was their soul.

Back ontopic. Hope whichever console gets the game also gets voice chat, I prefer over text personally, stopping to type interupts the flow of the game.

Blizz3112
Jan 21, 2011, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't be a hoot if they released it on Xbox, Wii AND Playstation after the PC version... ;-) (Not that I see it happen, though)...

Anon_Fire
Jan 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't be a hoot if they released it on Xbox, Wii AND Playstation after the PC version... ;-) (Not that I see it happen, though)...

Probably, but I don't see it happening either.

Wii lacks a HDD
Microsoft and XBOX Live won't allow it
PC is a great choice
Sony and the PlayStation 3 might consider it

Frozensword
Jan 21, 2011, 07:26 PM
Microsoft will allow it, but they want their own servers separate from all the other platforms the game is on for their mmorpg games because of the Final Fantays XI inicident.

ShinMaruku
Jan 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
Will be for PC,360 and PS3 they can kick Square in the balls if they pull the game off and take back their top rpg online spot.

Genoa
Jan 22, 2011, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't be against console versions of PSO2... lol but I'm only going to be playing it for PC.
Since PSO has never been PvP oriented it's not really a big deal imo.
On the other hand, PC games always have the most potential to have the most content and fix the most problems. HOWEVER, Console gaming usually has the larger communities and most sales.
If they worked hard at making cross-platform gaming compatible with PC version, It could be very successful.

Regardless, I'm so glad it's for the PC :D

Ithildin
Jan 22, 2011, 04:19 AM
Well, some people (that don't have those types of fund to throw around) do mind, myself included. Some people don't have a full-time job, or do have kids, and can't afford to buy a new laptop and/or upgrade their desktop.

Things move on I'm afraid. Get with the program.

CLARK
Jan 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
Blu-ray discs hold more. I really want PSO2 on PS3 since PS3 titles usually get additional content due to the extra space. Also the PS3 makes you update your games. Good way to keep people from exploiting stuff. Not to mention that the PS3 is the hardest system to hack. For that reason alone we should beg for PSO2 on PS3.

Kent
Jan 23, 2011, 11:40 PM
Not to mention that the PS3 is the hardest system to hack. For that reason alone we should beg for PSO2 on PS3.
Haven't been keeping up with the news (http://kotaku.com/5720995/the-ps3-may-have-just-had-its-front-door-kicked-in) lately, have you?

Asking Alexandria
Jan 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
Haven't been keeping up with the news (http://kotaku.com/5720995/the-ps3-may-have-just-had-its-front-door-kicked-in) lately, have you?

yeah forget the ps3

FOkyasuta
Jan 23, 2011, 11:51 PM
Not my fault the same goes for Microsoft. At least it took us a while.

Fayorei
Jan 24, 2011, 03:31 AM
I am personally hoping for a console release as well. I have a PS3/360, and hacks were wild in PSU PC(also affecting PS2 I guess) so I'm not a fan of that aspect. It's easier to update a game like that, but honestly if it's like PSU and has most of the content on the disk, then I definitely want a better-secured console version- preferably 360 I think...

Jepp027
Jan 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
Funny thing if this happens.

If Microsoft worked out a deal with Sonic Team so that the game was only released as an xbox 360 exclusive. That would sell a million 360's in Japan, which is what Microsoft really needs there. No mater how they slice it, even with giving Sonic Team a boatload of cash. Maybe then the Japan and US servers can be friends once again, it will likely not happen but is just on my wish list.

However I also like that it is more than likely going to the PS3. Probably only PS3 since Xbox is so weak in Japan. Nothing against PS3, I just don't own one. Wish I did.

Frozensword
Jan 25, 2011, 09:13 PM
Blu-ray discs hold more. I really want PSO2 on PS3 since PS3 titles usually get additional content due to the extra space. Also the PS3 makes you update your games. Good way to keep people from exploiting stuff. Not to mention that the PS3 is the hardest system to hack. For that reason alone we should beg for PSO2 on PS3.The PS3 was hacked this month, and the hack is so horrible, Sony will have release a huge update which will take months to make or release their next console. The hackers even admitted that to Sony themselves. They also released it to all the other hackers on the internet, so the PS3 is pretty much screwed unless Sony does something fast. I have all systems, and it really makes me mad, but because of this, it would be better for it to be on the xbox 360.

Kent
Jan 25, 2011, 11:05 PM
The PS3 was hacked this month, and the hack is so horrible, Sony will have release a huge update which will take months to make or release their next console. The hackers even admitted that to Sony themselves. They also released it to all the other hackers on the internet, so the PS3 is pretty much screwed unless Sony does something fast. I have all systems, and it really makes me mad, but because of this, it would be better for it to be on the xbox 360.
I think you're understating the gravity of the hacks that happened - it's not something that's a software fix, but rather, the only forseeable solution to stop all of this hacking is to lock out all existing software from running on PS3s by changing the required security keys. It's not something you just patch in.

Frozensword
Jan 26, 2011, 03:26 PM
The hackers that did it said something about a patch.

Kent
Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
The hackers that did it said something about a patch.
What they said was covered in my above post.