PDA

View Full Version : I have never played a MMORPG or AORPG before. Should i try PSU?

Roger Triton
Nov 25, 2010, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone, long time PS player here. I started with PS2 back in Genesis days, and eventually played PS4. Never bought a Dreamcast so I did not have a chance to play PSO.

Well I would like to get into PSU. I have a few questions. Could you help me with these awkward questions?

I do speak some Japanese, i would love to play on the PC server for Jpn. I found the gateway (I will PM you the thread, it might violate TOS for PSO-World), but is it 'legal' for me to be on their server?

If the above happens, would I find more players on the PSO-J//PC server vs U.S.+Jpn//Xbox360?

Rather than spend weeks leveling up, can I play offline so I can build my char to a strong level?

What's considered a good lvl for someone that wants to play in a group & get a chance? Nobody likes a n00b ;)

Could I buy a high lvl weapon for my character right off the bat? Or will I be stuck with low lvl until my char reaches a certain stat lvl?

How comparable is PSU to FF10 or FF12 (PS2)? Sorry to offend anyone with that question.

And lastly, what can I do so anyone bad online won't be able to mess with my stats, room, or weapons/items?

Thanks everyone!
花のように咲く

oh btw I'm in the U.S. but might be in Canada in late Dec.

http://gazetadealgol.com.br/_media/images/ps2-nei_face.gif

Zerolimit
Nov 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
I definatly recomend Psu. As for the questions i can only answer a few as i am on the US Severs

First i think its legal for you to play on the JP servers but i've been hearing a lot things about people being reported for speaking english.

Secondly: yes idk about the PSO-J community but the US servers are doing alright for where they came from norrmaly uni 1 is full with 1 star in uni 2

Third: from what i know offline and online chars are completely diffrent so they do not transfer.

you can find groups usually easly from level 20+. with that said there are still a decent amount of people that will be willing to help you lvl just ask.

Fifth: yu can if you manage to find someone nice that will start you out with some money

sixth: cant amswer never playede FF10/12

Final: you have something that is called lock. i makes it so that you cannot trade sell or drop that item and it can be locked and unlocked at your descretion

The JP servers have a free witch has some restrictions and a payed where you get the full experience and US 360 server only has paied. If you join the 360 servers just send me a message and i'd be glad to help GT:AC3 0F SPAD3 04

unicorn
Nov 25, 2010, 09:01 AM
As long as PSU accepts your credit/debit cards, its legal. =)

You would obviously find more English players on the 360 though, especially since the importer community has been dwindling as of late.

You can always play in random parties. Yes, there might be some ignorant JP players that will report English speakers or block you, but thats a small portion of the population (smaller than PSO-W! haha). Sega doesn't do anything about the claims unless you hack or something game breaking.

There are more players in general on the JP version, with usually one or two universes full and every single universe with 2-3 stars at the height of the day. However, if you arent in JP time, then you'll see the low of the day haha, which is generally 2-3 stars.

You can't play offline to raise your character. They got rid of that after PSO since hackers offline would go online with illegitimate stuff.

Ryna
Nov 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
I do speak some Japanese, i would love to play on the PC server for Jpn. I found the gateway (I will PM you the thread, it might violate TOS for PSO-World), but is it 'legal' for me to be on their server?

When I registered to play the Japanese version, you were technically required to have a Japanese address. I don't think that is really a big concern though.

If the above happens, would I find more players on the PSO-J//PC server vs U.S.+Jpn//Xbox360?

If you want to play with English speaking players, play on the Xbox 360 servers. If you are asking about the overall population count, I believe the Japanese servers have more players.

Rather than spend weeks leveling up, can I play offline so I can build my char to a strong level?

Offline and online are completely separate. The character data for Network mode is store on Sega's servers and can't be accessed from offline mode.

In reality, offline mode is mostly a demo for Network mode. After you play in Network Mode for a while, you'll find the offline mode to be lacking.

What's considered a good lvl for someone that wants to play in a group & get a chance? Nobody likes a n00b ;)

In my experience, you need to be near the current maximum level to have the best chance of picking up a group. Getting to maximum level isn't too hard though, especially during an event. The hard part is leveling up your Photon Arts - think of them as weapon special attacks.

Could I buy a high lvl weapon for my character right off the bat? Or will I be stuck with low lvl until my char reaches a certain stat lvl?

Your ability to equip weapons is limited by your current characters stats and job. The starter jobs won't allow you to equip anything beyond mid-tier equipment. However, you should level out of the starter jobs fairly quickly. After that, you can equip some decent weapons.

And lastly, what can I do so anyone bad online won't be able to mess with my stats, room, or weapons/items?

You can lock your character's room with a 4 digit combination. This will help prevent undesirable people from entering it.

As for cheating, it is an uncommon occurrence on Phantasy Star Universe. The US PC version had more problems with griefers and cheaters than any other version.

Roger Triton
Nov 25, 2010, 09:52 PM
Ryna, excellent reply I learned a lot.

Now if only I could find someone honest to sell me a good mid-tier weapon...oh wait I should be leveling up for those photon arts first :D