PDA

View Full Version : PSZero Strategy Guide, did it help you?

Roger Triton
Nov 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hmmm the guide is now OFFline from GameStop. It's still avaliable from Amazon New for $17.99. Barnes & Noble also has it available.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantasy-Official-Strategy-Guides-Bradygames/dp/0744011736

EDIT: Oops i had wanted to ask if it was worth buying. I ordered it & will pick it up when it comes in. But an experienced player who has it could tell me if it's worth it or not. At the worst, the artwork might make it worth keeping.

if you have it, please comment. Thanks.

Cruciarius
Dec 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't own it myself, but as far as I know, majority of the information in it is likely available on this site. It's possible it lists rare drops, but the main "important" information in the guide is likely the HP amount of hostiles, along with their resistances. The resistance information is useful for Force characters mostly, but their are some hostiles that will take more damage from ranged weapons vs melee and vise verse.

Wouldn't mind getting the guide myself, but having played it so much, I pretty much know what techs to use vs what hostiles and if melee or range should be used per zone.

It's also handy to have, when not able to get on this site. That's if it has rare drops listed. I imagine it also covers mag raising, but not sure.

I've actually never seen this guide in any of my local stores, to check it. I'm just assuming it has what I've mentioned above.

Windancer
Dec 1, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hmmm the guide is now OFFline from GameStop. It's still avaliable from Amazon New for $17.99. Barnes & Noble also has it available.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantasy-Official-Strategy-Guides-Bradygames/dp/0744011736

EDIT: Oops i had wanted to ask if it was worth buying. I ordered it & will pick it up when it comes in. But an experienced player who has it could tell me if it's worth it or not. At the worst, the artwork might make it worth keeping.

if you have it, please comment. Thanks.

I got mine from the closure at hollywood video for 4.00 bucks but by the time I got it I had known everything in the book from playing and comming to psow

Chaos Rappy
Dec 1, 2010, 05:14 PM
The only thing the guide is useful for, when it came out AND at this day and age, is the enemy stats lists. It lacks a lot of the more important information, such as any actual droplist, a list of Mags, maximum grinds for armors AND weapons (one of my biggest concerns, since that's why I never knew Pizza Box was so good for so long, since its base stats were so low and the guide never mentioned it having a 99 grind limit), or even a list of units, nor does it point at some of the more discrete information, such as Frames only having a max of 3 slots, or the fact that SET BONUSES exist in this game... The guide was made before the game even released majorly, so there's a lot of typos and stuff, and it doesn't even mention how the JP-only items are in fact JP-ONLY, in looks and obtaining. Those are my gripes, though. I got it when PSZ first came out, which I pre-ordered, so it was KINDA useful, but in reality, not as much as I would've hoped ~$15 should have... <_<

MAXrobo
Dec 1, 2010, 08:02 PM
i got it whith my pre-order of the game so i used it a good amount at the begining. unforunantly now that i know the game well it isnt too useful. it does not say anything that this site doesnt and all its boss hints (the main thing i was interested in) basicly say to dodge roll attacks and hit it with anything but techs. I have used it occationaly to find resistences, but i dont play force characters very much. the art work in it is nice and its kinda cool just to look through it every once in a while. Iv used it before to get pictures of the characters because i like to draw phantasy star stuff and their pretty detailed.

In short, its fun to have and is a quick way to find enemy resistences if you dont want to turn your computer on. But it is in no way necesary, you can find more detailed discriptions of everything in it on this site.

Chaos Rappy
Dec 2, 2010, 12:07 AM
A quick correction to note about in your post: there is nothing anywhere hosted on this site listing enemy stats or resistances for PSZ. The guide is so far the only real way to find those, aside from the people who have posted about the guide otherwise. : /

Pirrip
Dec 2, 2010, 04:39 AM
I really wanted to get the guide when I got my game, but I didn't really need it. I imported mine, and anything I've ever needed to know I've been able to find in Japanese ps0 wiki pages, enemy resistances and all. I've always been kind of surprised that PSO-World didn't have a chart or listing for that...
Assuming that it's the very same in the US ps0 versions, I can tell you what the enemy resistences are, and where I found them.

Jenni Porshakin
Dec 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
I have the guide too (bought it and scanned it) and it's very helpful.