PDA

View Full Version : Text messaging other dudes/dudettes while hanging with your significant other.

DreXxiN
Nov 28, 2010, 10:45 PM
God this makes me rage so hard. I mean it was bad enough that when you try to get a customer's attention at work who can't multitask for shit they just flat out ignore you, but it just seems so rude to me to text other people while in ANY small social situation. Does anyone else get extremely annoyed when their close friends/boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/whatever/dog texts while you are RIGHT THERE?

r32ji249($@$#@$@$

Ishia
Nov 28, 2010, 10:52 PM
Mhm, what did you say? I was tweeting on my IPhone.

BIG OLAF
Nov 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
Not as long as they're still paying attention to what I'm saying. If I'm not trying to talk to them at the current time, then they can do whatever they want.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
Make sure they aren't stuck in only a conversation string of them and one other person*
Text them immediate right now stuff with help from phone company

Laugh in their face if they say "Why did you do that - I'm right here!"

*[spoiler-box]New messages would be unseen or something, they're stuck as any new messages would be from person currently talking to[/spoiler-box]

Outrider
Nov 29, 2010, 01:45 AM
A friend of my girlfriend does this.

Sometimes I just take the phone out of her hands.

Mike
Nov 29, 2010, 02:07 AM
I don't see the problem if there is a lull in the conversation. Mid-conversation is pretty rude though.

DreXxiN
Nov 29, 2010, 02:58 AM
A friend of my girlfriend does this.

Sometimes I just take the phone out of her hands.

Holy crap, you are a mod. I need to keep up with the times here.

But extra man points for you sir, that sounds genius.

Volcompat321
Nov 29, 2010, 03:25 AM
I usually wait til either someone is done talking, or before someone talks to text.

But if it's someone I might like, I tell my friends to fuck off. (not literally, I honestly just say "hey wait a sec, got a text" if they're about to talk or something).

But yea, if you're trying to have a conversation, and they're not paying attention, it's no use.

Sayara
Nov 29, 2010, 06:23 AM
that new Windows phone commercial comes to mind with the lady angry at her sig.other because she's standing in her nightie waiting for a "night" and he;s on his phone.

"...seriously?!"
Yeah, it does bother me. We don't do it intentionally, if we're expecting a text then we pause and answer it, (unless in the middle of something) my other friend is notorious for it, we often heckle her about it saying its her better friends and whatnot.

Volcompat321
Nov 29, 2010, 12:54 PM
With 12,000+ texts a month, you can say I'm guilty of interrupting sometimes...

I really try not to though.

Outrider
Nov 29, 2010, 01:22 PM
Oh, another thing I sometimes do is when I'm in a group and one person keeps checking their phone, I'll send them a text saying, "Hey, what're we texting about?"

Yeah, I'm surprised I have any friends left.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, another thing I sometimes do is when I'm in a group and one person keeps checking their phone, I'll send them a text saying, "Hey, what're we texting about?"

Friends that text too much = some kinda strange machines blurting out small messages to you all the time, that usually don't go anywhere, end suddenly without warning and all kinds of other stupid crap. Or just needy people.

Friends that don't text back from direct questions = prob not friends anyway.

Where's the middle ground?!

Outrider
Nov 29, 2010, 01:55 PM
Friends that text too much = some kinda strange machines blurting out small messages to you all the time, that usually don't go anywhere, end suddenly without warning and all kinds of other stupid crap. Or just needy people.

Friends that don't text back from direct questions = prob not friends anyway.

Where's the middle ground?!

Hand-written letters?

No, that's not right.

Leviathan
Nov 29, 2010, 02:00 PM
*Ahem*

A real man uses a phone for calling.

Where I live now almost everyone does this. As a result, I try not to talk to anyone unless they seem genuinely interested in having a conversation with me. The minute someone reaches for their phone and texts while I am talking I just stop, and for the most part they don't notice so I walk off.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 29, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hand-written letters?

No, that's not right.
Chicks like that more than smiley faces.

Personal > Impersonal

Daak
Nov 29, 2010, 02:16 PM
lol I have a realy loud voice which makes me the story teller of my school I always talk and for some reason evryone listens ...
Well when ever some does tht texting whil I talk I ll walk off and sooner or later they will realise tht I am pissed an apoligise I wont forgive em for a while so tht they have learnt their lesson

MetaZedlen
Nov 29, 2010, 07:08 PM

Do you ever post anything constructive?

I haven't experienced this situation myself, but if it were to happen, I'd be the first person to call whoever is texting out on their action and probably try to humiliate them for their indirect attempt at making me look bad.

Scejntjynahl
Dec 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
Holy crap, you are a mod. I need to keep up with the times here.

But extra man points for you sir, that sounds genius.

Exactly my thought as well... "Outrider is a mod? How long have I been gone? O.o"

Texting while in a conversation with someone else isnt as bad as texting while driving. At least you wont die in a car accident... youll be annoyed, sure, but you wont die.

Some people just have a NEED to keep in touch with as many other people as possible... I am not quite sure why yet. But they do.

I for one like to pay attention to the person who actually took the time to VISIT me and sit to hear me out instead of merely casually sending a text on the go.

Brave-Charm
Dec 1, 2010, 10:06 PM
It just counts ^^;

Roger Triton
Dec 2, 2010, 03:48 AM

Texting is a good way of ignoring/pretending to ignore someone.

I've never had a bad date. And I never had to do this. But a trick awhile ago was to set up your cell to send you a msg about 30 mins into the date. So if you were having a bad time, you could say "oh I have SURGERY at the local hospital, sorry gotta get there real quick ThnksOKbai." Like i said, never had to do that but hey someone might need to.

I do think Texting should be banned while driving. Simply because there are hands-free cellphones & texting requires atleast one hand on the device. Which could lead to an accident. ^^;

Kent
Dec 2, 2010, 10:53 PM
that new Windows phone commercial comes to mind with the lady angry at her sig.other because she's standing in her nightie waiting for a "night" and he;s on his phone.

"...seriously?!"
At least it's truth in advertising - I picked up one of the recent Windows Phones, and it's really surprising how quickly you can get in and out of, well, anything on the entire device (especially once you get used to it).

I have a friend that is almost constantly on his iSnoot sending/receiving text messages (it's a few every minute). I tried this with him once.

The result was a text message conversation from three feet away from each other, while holding a normal conversation about something entirely different, and both of us acting as if nothing of importance to the other person was happening on our phones.

...So yeah.

I do think Texting should be banned while driving. Simply because there are hands-free cellphones & texting requires atleast one hand on the device. Which could lead to an accident. ^^;
It's already a quick way to get arrested up in Minnesota.

Delete
Dec 4, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm a texter, I couldn't give a shit if the sun was falling on the earth, I have to send my friend that "lol" or my life is doomed anyway ;P