PDA

View Full Version : Why PSO2 is PSO2 and not PSU2...

Lance813
Dec 3, 2010, 06:03 PM
Alright guys,

First and foremost, this topic name may bring about random splutter from the denizens of PSOW...
Seriously, this is what gives me hope: The game is called PSO2 not PSU2. I am dreaming night and day of this game being made to be a beautiful successor to PSO. I am terribly tired of people acting like children in a PSO vs. PSU stranglehold of retardation. (Honestly, that's what it is...) They are two VERY different games. I think we all know that and so does SEGA. Face it, SEGA is making another Phantasy Star Online game. I doubt beasts or dewmans will be implemented, and they shouldn't. SEGA can make another PSP game if they want that. (Oh look, they just did...)

I played PSU for a good 2 years, and at the end I hated it. Granted it was a good game, they released an expansion and two portable spin-off titles. Good.

PSO2 should be a continuation of a game that sucked me in as a kid. Hell, why name it PSO2 then. I'm not saying don't add in elements from PSU, but if you think you are getting a cutesy, Gurhal setting please god think again. I could not deal with that. PSO came to an abrupt end. Bang. Like that...

What the fuck happened on Ragol after Ep. 3? What happened between Episodes 3 and 4? There is so much to work with in PSO storyboard wise that adding story elements from PSU would be lame... It is PSO2 after all.

Look PSU was cool. I wouldn't want to deal with the entire process of it as an online game again even if I was bedridden and it was the only game I had in my possession. The way the game was hosted and updated was absolute shit. If you don't agree with me you are totally oblivious or were too busy dressing up your characters in frills. Not that there is anything wrong with that... I guess.

I guess what I'm saying is that PSO2 would be better off as PSO2 and not an amalgamation of everything SEGA has released under the title of "Phantasy Star" to date. Its a game, not a cesspool for a bunch of overused cliche characters and a bad, terrible, absolutely shitty storyline...

TL;DR

Read it, or hit the back button on your browser...

Corey Blue
Dec 3, 2010, 06:20 PM
This will most likely be my last Phanasty Star game if this flunks,I cant deal with another PSU.I'll have to bury my childhood for good.(I dont have the time to keep running back and forth to this franchise,I pray it does well.)

NoiseHERO
Dec 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
TL;DR

You're on the PSO side of PSO VS PSU.

I'd like something new altogether, which I'll hope it is until they change it into "episode 5."

Corey Blue
Dec 3, 2010, 06:22 PM
TL;DR

You're on the PSO side of PSO VS PSU.

I'd like something new altogether, which I'll hope it is until they change it into "episode 5."

I gotta hurry and beat Blue Burst.^^;

GCoffee
Dec 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
*Why PSO2 should be PSO2 and not PSU2 imo

fixed?

Time to hit the back button now.

Lance813
Dec 3, 2010, 06:30 PM
This will most likely be my last Phanasty Star game if this flunks,I cant deal with another PSU.I'll have to bury my childhood for good.(I dont have the time to keep running back and forth to this franchise,I pray it does well.)

Yeah, seriously. Blue Burst was kind of a disappointed for me at the time because I didn't have a decent PC to play it on. I can't deal with it anymore.

If this turns out to kill me on the inside like PSU did I will bury my copy in a shoe box behind my apartment. PSU looked like it would be fucking sweet with the original trailers of it.

Here.

Look at how different this is from the final game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchDkrStK30&feature=related

It looked much cooler back then let me add...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah man, that montage of pre-rendered concept art footage and absolutely zero gameplay was totally a better game than the same thing with better character models.

I really don't get this at all. Are you people really this incapable of putting together an argument with even a smidgen of logic and rationality?

BIG OLAF
Dec 3, 2010, 06:43 PM
What happened between Episodes 3 and 4?

Episode 3 happened after 4, remember? Anyway:

Yeah, I agree. I don't want a PSU2, but I do want the game elements (that worked) from PSU incorporated into PSO2.

If you think that PSO2 will have the same robotic, clunky movement and combat of PSO, and not PSU's smooth, free-flow combat, then you're delusional. Sega knows what's modern and what's not. Truth is, PSO is, what, 10 years old now? A lot of it's features are dated.

However, I don't agree with the exclusion of Beasts. They've been in the series for going on 5 years now, and I think they deserve it. I'll agree that Dewmans shouldn't be in PSO2, though.

EDIT: I've said it at least a dozen times now. PSU/P2's combat mechanics, and PSO/Z's music and atmosphere. That's all it would need to a great experience, to me.

Lance813
Dec 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
I really don't get this at all. Are you people really this incapable of putting together an argument with even a smidgen of logic and rationality?

Aesthetically I like it better than what PSU turned out to be. I liked the concept art that was in the background. Things had life, in PSU the levels were stale and reused. PSU would have died alot sooner if not for its community...

I am not a PSO fanboy by any means... If this game sucks I'm going back to 100%ing Demon's Souls because that game challenges me over letting me do 7,000 damage by spamming axe PA's.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 3, 2010, 06:48 PM
Pre-rendered footage. The cutscenes in the actual game were just as detailed.

You don't even know what you are talking about.

•Col•
Dec 3, 2010, 07:01 PM
It's called PSO2 because it's going to follow the storyline of PSO1.... >.> It doesn't mean the gameplay is going to play like PSO. I mean, with your logic, you could argue that PSO2 is going to play as PSO Episode 3.... XD

And even storyline-wise, PSU stuff is probably going to be referred to in PSO2... It's already been confirmed that PSO and PSU actually have a connection, and if you saw the new PSP2Infinity trailer, you'd see that a Pioneer ship is on Parum...

And Ffuzzy-Logik is right......... A lot of cutscenes in that E3 trailer were actually in the full game, just with new character models...

AlexCraig
Dec 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
He did say he wants some of the game elements from PSU in there. Combat is a game element. I, as one who never liked PSU and abruptly went back to PSO as soon as I tried PSU, admit the combat was much smoother.

Keep in mind, though, that PSO came out back 10 years ago, when those graphics/combat/gameplay was unique and new and interesting. We all know that these days they are outdated. That is NOT, however, to say that there was not a lot in PSO that was amazing and still is amazing. I constantly hear how the music was fantastic, how mags were fun, and how (even though there has been much arguement) the outfits fit the mood and setting of the series. The weapons were unique and different, not copy/pastes of the same weapon.

Would I like to see some of these things in PSO2? Most certainly (and I will admit that part of my opinion is based on me liking PSO more). Would I like to see elements from PSU in PSO2? Of course! Why please just one portion of the demographic? Outfits? Bring in both PSO AND PSU outfits to please both sides of this arguement. Just make sure they fit with the setting of the game, is all I ask. Weapons? Again, some are memorable from many games in PS. Bring them on in. MAGs and/or PAs? This got me thinking that upon making a character, they should give you a choice, either mag or PA, that you start with. As you progress in the game, much akin to PSO, you can find mags/PAs while out hunting.

As for the arguement about beasts, I personally do not care to see them in there, but I know there are those who do. Should beasts be in there? Only if they fit in well.

We have seen a lot of these threads lately about what should and should not be in PSO2. All it has come down to is PSO vs PSU, an arguement that is so stupid and contrived that it is almost laughable. Bury the hatchet already. Here we have PSO2, a chance for it all to be settled as a perfect blend of PSO and PSU. Instead of saying "It should be more like PSO!" or "I loved PSU and if it isn't like it, I'm quitting!", we should try to settle things and look at the elements from both games and say what can work, and what can't work, and what might work if done well.

"This bickering is pointless" ~ Grand Moff Tarkin

BIG OLAF
Dec 3, 2010, 07:12 PM
We have seen a lot of these threads lately about what should and should not be in PSO2. All it has come down to is PSO vs PSU, an arguement that is so stupid and contrived that it is almost laughable. Bury the hatchet already. Here we have PSO2, a chance for it all to be settled as a perfect blend of PSO and PSU. Instead of saying "It should be more like PSO!" or "I loved PSU and if it isn't like it, I'm quitting!", we should try to settle things and look at the elements from both games and say what can work, and what can't work, and what might work if done well.

^This, because I'm also sick of the whining. I liked both games for what they were, but PSU was a lot better for me (the weapons, clothes, art style) since I didn't play PSO when it came out in 2001, so I wasn't used to the dated controls, etc. However, PSO had a lot of things in it I did like better than PSU, like the music, as I've stated before.

Like Alex said above: take the strengths of both, exclude all their weaknesses. Then, you'll have one hell of an Online Action RPG.

Corey Blue
Dec 3, 2010, 07:56 PM
Aesthetically I like it better than what PSU turned out to be. I liked the concept art that was in the background. Things had life, in PSU the levels were stale and reused. PSU would have died alot sooner if not for its community...

I am not a PSO fanboy by any means... If this game sucks I'm going back to 100%ing Demon's Souls because that game challenges me over letting me do 7,000 damage by spamming axe PA's.

That was a bad ass trailer,kinda like what PSO did back in 2000,without the annoying announcer.That would get anyone pumped up back then,now it's..you know.

Corey Blue
Dec 3, 2010, 08:04 PM
He did say he wants some of the game elements from PSU in there. Combat is a game element. I, as one who never liked PSU and abruptly went back to PSO as soon as I tried PSU, admit the combat was much smoother.

Keep in mind, though, that PSO came out back 10 years ago, when those graphics/combat/gameplay was unique and new and interesting. We all know that these days they are outdated. That is NOT, however, to say that there was not a lot in PSO that was amazing and still is amazing. I constantly hear how the music was fantastic, how mags were fun, and how (even though there has been much arguement) the outfits fit the mood and setting of the series. The weapons were unique and different, not copy/pastes of the same weapon.

Would I like to see some of these things in PSO2? Most certainly (and I will admit that part of my opinion is based on me liking PSO more). Would I like to see elements from PSU in PSO2? Of course! Why please just one portion of the demographic? Outfits? Bring in both PSO AND PSU outfits to please both sides of this arguement. Just make sure they fit with the setting of the game, is all I ask. Weapons? Again, some are memorable from many games in PS. Bring them on in. MAGs and/or PAs? This got me thinking that upon making a character, they should give you a choice, either mag or PA, that you start with. As you progress in the game, much akin to PSO, you can find mags/PAs while out hunting.

As for the arguement about beasts, I personally do not care to see them in there, but I know there are those who do. Should beasts be in there? Only if they fit in well.

"This bickering is pointless" ~ Grand Moff Tarkin
I have to agree with you,a blend of pso and psu would really perk my interest,but no dewmens,please god..no.PSO atmosphere with PSU combat would be wonderful.If they can please both sides of the party,so be it,I'm interested in how they do it.(But if it messes with PSO's atmosphere in anyway no,no,no.)

Lance813
Dec 3, 2010, 08:31 PM
Pre-rendered footage. The cutscenes in the actual game were just as detailed.

You don't even know what you are talking about.

Look, we both know that's not gameplay. That was the first teaser trailer released for PSU. What it looked like at the time, and take in account that this was happening as people were still new to blue burst, was awesome looking. I was excited for the beasts. I wanted to make a beast. I wanted a gripping story-line. If I wanted a random, teenage-looking, story-mode, hero to save the world I would have played a Final Fantasy game.

I don't even know what I'm talking about? I am a fan of the series. If a game is title PSO2 I sure as hell hope it doesn't take place in the same time period as PsP2i does. I'm not trying to be an ass about things at the same time. I'm really not. Arguing with people over the Internet is bad on its own, but when you argue over a game its worse. Everybody has an opinion, and nobody's right.

I'm not talking about gameplay. Presentation is what matters... The general community raved when they saw the dude wearing FOmar robes in that teaser. We didn't even get them in PSU until AoI came out. The chick with the horns made people want to play as that race so bad.

Face it. PSU was originally supposed to be quite a bit different, and that upset many players.

Episode 3 happened after 4, remember? Anyway:

Yeah, I agree. I don't want a PSU2, but I do want the game elements (that worked) from PSU incorporated into PSO2.

If you think that PSO2 will have the same robotic, clunky movement and combat of PSO, and not PSU's smooth, free-flow combat, then you're delusional. Sega knows what's modern and what's not. Truth is, PSO is, what, 10 years old now? A lot of it's features are dated.

However, I don't agree with the exclusion of Beasts. They've been in the series for going on 5 years now, and I think they deserve it. I'll agree that Dewmans shouldn't be in PSO2, though.

EDIT: I've said it at least a dozen times now. PSU/P2's combat mechanics, and PSO/Z's music and atmosphere. That's all it would need to a great experience, to me.

Sorry, I was stating the numbers in numerical order and not chronological. I would love to see the Ep. 3 story-line tied in...

I would love gaming elements from PSU that worked well or were awesome, as I have been saying since I've first heard of PSO2. Yes, features of PSO are extremely dated. Hell, the idea of it being an online game for Gamecube after DC was the first nail in its coffin. I, along with many others, would love to have a better version of PSU's combat system. Guns were broken, PAs were OP, and every player in the game attacked for 'lolnumbarz.' I don't care if a boss has a plethora of hit points, but if you deal 8-9000 damage every time you attack then whats the point?

I would rather have something be hard to kill instead of it just being a nuisance to rack up damage on... PSU's enemys were very similar and that just made constant slashing repetitive.

On the exclusions of races, I should reiterate. PSO2 shouldn't have beasts because of the time, place, star-system, galaxy, universe, etc. They should be put into PSO2 somehow, but how are they going to fit into the story/time-period if they were explained in PSU as created by the humans of Gurhal. I mean, they could just say, "Here, have beasts no questions asked. They were made by humans for grunt work." and that would work out I guess...

As far as mashing up PSO and PSU to make a hell of an online experience, I really hope that whoever is making the game has learned from past efforts and makes something new and crisp. I'm not saying not to add elements from the games, hell, that's what this topic was about before everyone thought I was just straight up bashing PSU. I liked PSO better. Both for atmosphere and depth, but the "A A B" combat system has to go...

Also, here is what I mean by frilly things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry2U1BUQsKQ&feature=player_embedded

This video was posted in PSU gen a while back. Sure its cool for what it is, but I never thought fleshy Cast boobs would jiggle.It just clashes with the name PSO...

NoiseHERO
Dec 4, 2010, 01:50 AM
If it's true that psu and pso2's universes are gonna be somehow "connected" then I'm sure it can have beasts for the same reason duman's came out of nowhere. (Still I hate beasts anyway.)

The only reason I truly worry about the gameplay being as clunky as PSO's is because of PSZ..PSZ was an okay game..but it got boring quick and it felt like PSO's little brother. who know's what they're thinking for PSO2. e_e;

I'll still never understand the whole art style dilemma. In game you can blame graphics power. but outside of the game...

I don't see which one is less "cutey gayish animeish, more western plox!" here.

http://ebten.jp/upload/save_image/04/main_3304_500x500.jpg

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/pso-ep3/cover_l.jpg

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 02:39 AM
*sigh*

No matter what I say, people always end up arguing over PSO vs. PSU.

I believe Olaf and I agree on basically everything, so not much else to say. Also, nice to see a Moderator stepping in to discuss a cease-fire.

-Wayu

Corey Blue
Dec 4, 2010, 03:46 AM
*sigh*

No matter what I say, people always end up arguing over PSO vs. PSU.

I believe Olaf and I agree on basically everything, so not much else to say. Also, nice to see a Moderator stepping in to discuss a cease-fire.

-Wayu

War is to be expected,with PSO2 coming up and people are hearing rumors of how PSU and PSO2 are to being connected,of course there's going to be blood.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 03:50 AM
*double sigh*

The PSU/PSP universe and PSO/PSO2 will be connected through PSPo2i and PSO2. It's not a rumor.

Willing combatants, huh...well, then, if you guys are willing to do this then I give up mediating this stuff. Just please, please don't make this a digital Korean Peninsula or Palestine-Israel conflict...please.

-Wayu

AlexCraig
Dec 4, 2010, 03:55 AM
There was something I forgot to touch on. The PSO2 universe. What do we honestly know? I have heard it is connected to PSO, to PSU, to PSPo2, but I have not yet seen anything saying what it is connected to. Fact.
If someone could link me to where it is said, I will look it over and relay more of my own opinion on this.

If I see no proof, then how can we say what the game should resemble more? As far as I can tell, it could be a wholly new game, unrelated to any other PS title save for some carried over traits (items, gameplay, races, etc).

@Wayu: Please link to me this information.

Corey Blue
Dec 4, 2010, 03:59 AM
*double sigh*

The PSU/PSP universe and PSO/PSO2 will be connected through PSPo2i and PSO2. It's not a rumor.

Willing combatants, huh...well, then, if you guys are willing to do this then I give up mediating this stuff. Just please, please don't make this a digital Korean Peninsula or Palestine-Israel conflict...please.

-Wayu
I better not see Ethan coming back trying to be epic or something,I will drop this shit so fast. (Really DONT WANT IT TO HAPPEN.)But whatever happens.Just better be good,or goodbye PSO.

Corey Blue
Dec 4, 2010, 04:00 AM
There was something I forgot to touch on. The PSO2 universe. What do we honestly know? I have heard it is connected to PSO, to PSU, to PSPo2, but I have not yet seen anything saying what it is connected to. Fact.
If someone could link me to where it is said, I will look it over and relay more of my own opinion on this.

If I see no proof, then how can we say what the game should resemble more? As far as I can tell, it could be a wholly new game, unrelated to any other PS title save for some carried over traits (items, gameplay, races, etc).

@Wayu: Please link to me this information.

I wanna know to.Where did you guys hear this from Sakai himself?

zandra117
Dec 4, 2010, 04:01 AM
I just noticed that Ethan in his illuminus outfit and the fields of fire seed blooms appear in the original e3 2004 trailer

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:02 AM
It'll take me a while to find that information. I'll post it when I can find it, but my personal schedule is quite tight. I have mid-term exams next week.

Alternatively, can you guys ask Mike?

-Wayu

AlexCraig
Dec 4, 2010, 04:06 AM
Alright. Well, until you can provide me a link, I will stick to my opinion that it is still far too early to say which direction the game should go (though I do believe we can all agree that it SHOULD be a good one).

Once more, though, I would like to impress that we stop this PSO vs PSU crap. Shake hands, be done with it, and talk about what is good in both games, bad in both games, and come to thoughts as to what SHOULD be in PSO2, COULD be in PSO2, and should NOT be in PSO2.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:10 AM
Alex, I'd like to shake your hand for helping me out in calming down this war zone.

It's only been stated that there is a link between the universes. Nothing more, so I don't think it would affect how our discussions are going ATM.

Still can't find it. There's some characters I can't read in his blog, despite me being Japanese...

-Wayu

AlexCraig
Dec 4, 2010, 04:11 AM
I see. Well, a link between universes can be anynumber of things.

Lunariancrystal
Dec 4, 2010, 04:15 AM
The fact that they are now linking PSP2i to PSO really kind of annoys me. Based on the fact that they did that I wouldn't be surprised if they linked PSU to PSO2.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:16 AM
Which is exactly why we can't assume or compare things yet when it hasn't even happened.

Things look better in retrospect, but when there is no retrospect we can't hastily generalize things.

-Wayu

Dongra
Dec 4, 2010, 04:19 AM
It's really hard to discuss or argue our opinions about our favorite games hoping this sequel will be more PSO or PSU. Considering that we have practically no information about PSO2, not even a single screenshot, then all we have going on in this section is nerd speculation. I understand that everyone wants to see the game evolve the way they want it but that is unlikely to happen. For now, we should just drop all of this speculation and wait for some real information.

AlexCraig
Dec 4, 2010, 04:21 AM
It's really hard to discuss or argue our opinions about our favorite games hoping this sequel will be more PSO or PSU. Considering that we have practically no information about PSO2, not even a single screenshot, then all we have going on in this section is nerd speculation. I understand that everyone wants to see the game evolve the way they want it but that is unlikely to happen. For now, we should just drop all of this speculation and wait for some real information.

Precisely my opinion.

Lunariancrystal
Dec 4, 2010, 04:30 AM
Actually.. Now that I think about it it wouldnt be that bad. It would actually give me a reason to play PSP. I mean...if for some reason this is linked to ragol and they have PSU/PSP style through PSO levels...I could totally see that working out.

PSPs story definitely needs something like this to make it worthwhile. PSP's storyline was rather lackluster for me, personally. I guess some people found it to be good.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:30 AM

Is there a 'Like' button?

Also, we've only got two real pieces of information:
1) SEGA's making PSO2 with SONIC Team leading the way
2) PSU universe will be somehow tied in with PSO's

@Luna: PSPo2i's story seems to be similar to PSO's, with a discovery of a Pioneer ship.

-Wayu

Dongra
Dec 4, 2010, 04:34 AM
Unfortunately, that is not enough to quench our thirst. Just because we know that both the PSP2i universe will be linked with PSO2 doesn't mean that it will have the same atmosphere or gameplay. We can assume it will play like one or the other but that just brings us back to nerd speculation again.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:36 AM
Thus the 'somehow'. We don't know what parts of both PSU or PSO will make it. That's up to SONIC Team.

-Wayu

Lunariancrystal
Dec 4, 2010, 04:38 AM
I think its still fun to talk about it though if it doesn't lead into an argument which, unfortunately, tends to happen.

btw, Olga Flow is awesommmmmmmmmmme

Dongra
Dec 4, 2010, 04:39 AM
My mistake, I overlooked your 'somehow.'

And I agree about Olga Flow. By far my favorite looking boss, despite how much of a pushover he is.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:40 AM
It's okay.

BTW, check out PSPo2i's trailer, Luna. [SPOILER-BOX]Olga's back.[/SPOILER-BOX]

-Wayu

Lunariancrystal
Dec 4, 2010, 04:41 AM
Yeah! Thats what I was referring too ^^/ I think Sega will do a good job. Gotta believe!

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:44 AM
I dub this the Constructive Discussion topic.

Will Olga Flow be in PSO2? Actually, that might lead to our much-despised 'nerd speculation'...

-Wayu

Dongra
Dec 4, 2010, 04:45 AM
I'm certainly not against it. Especially if I can get his sword again.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 04:46 AM
But he's a boss in PSPo2i. That means you take out your tiiiiiiny leeeeeeettle guns and swords and somehow beat the crap out of him.

Somehow. I lol'd (and screamed HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!) when I fought Olga Flow for the first time in his second fight.

-Wayu

paracelsus
Dec 4, 2010, 08:25 AM
I don't think PSO bosses should return since we are lead to believe we have killed them all. I could see the non-main bosses returning as their offspring, but Dark Falz was a fusion of Rico and Dark Force. while Olga Flow was a fusion of Heathcliff Flowen, The Olga AI, & Dark Force.

Wayu
Dec 4, 2010, 08:31 AM
On that note the VR bosses could possibly return, though, seeing as how they weren't real.

-Wayu

Yuicihi
Dec 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
Ah, but we can hopefully completely ignore the hell out of De Rol Le if we get more VR PSO bosses. People who've played PSU have long had their fill of him, since he's every bloody boss ever. Including an incarnation of Dark Falz.

As for my ever-so brief touch on the PSOvPSU tirade, never forget that your favorite game will never be lost.

NoiseHERO
Dec 4, 2010, 02:00 PM
What if it's just both games put together. :0

paracelsus
Dec 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
That would have to take more than one year of work to combine the two games without causing massive unrest within the pre-establish community, but any new blood would probably eat it right up.

Chaobo99
Dec 5, 2010, 07:14 PM
"Phantasy Star Online 2" Is just a production name. It's actually going to be "Phantasy Star Universe: Version 2 - Now with slightly better graphics!!! That is all..." dun dun dunnnn!!!

Wayu
Dec 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
That would be tantamount to suicide of the PS games. I don't think they'll throw the PSO name on without good reason...I hope.

It's probably gonna be a mix of something. We don't know what at all yet, though, so it's all speculation. I think it may be leaning more to PSO story and everything else but the combat system, which may come from PSU.

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Dec 5, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm still not seeing how it being named something as general as PSO2, means that is has to be super PSO...I know a lot of people hate PSU but it doesn't have to be PSU either. e_e

I seriously just don't want it to turn out like a console version of PSZ or something, which is exactly what PSO2 sounds like by name, at least the way the pso fans describe they want it.

We should have more advanced gameplay, PSO was a choppy, clunky, hack n slash. PSU was a speedy, spam fest hack n slash. I'd rather see a console PSP2 with tactical strategy and maybe even jumping and climbing. >3>

Wayu
Dec 5, 2010, 08:29 PM
You mean like Monster Hunter-ish, with climbing walls, sprinting, and tiny little jumps that look awkward? That could help, but only if they did it right.

-Wayu

Kion
Dec 5, 2010, 11:47 PM
To agree with the OP, the fact that it is called PSO2 does give me the hope that they're serious about going back to the PSO style.

The fact that they are now linking PSP2i to PSO really kind of annoys me. Based on the fact that they did that I wouldn't be surprised if they linked PSU to PSO2.

From the trailer it does look like they're connecting the two universes. I wish they would cut the crap completely. PSP2 is PSO style game play with PSU story and it is pretty awful (I have no idea of what's going on because I skip EVERY cut scene because of Amilia's constant bitching). It would be nice if they started fresh, took advantage of the game play mechanics that worked from PSU and make something that leaves an impact.

PSU is actually a really good GAME. The visuals are great, team work is fun, battle system works. What ruined the the game was ETHAN. Not just Ethan, but all of the freaking annoying, useless, generic, 2D, boring characters. And they're long drawn out, unskippable useless cutscenes. The best part of PSO was that the game play and story worked well with each other. You could advance on your own if you talked to the principal and you took quests which shed detail on what was going on. In PSU (and PSZ, PSP, PSP2) the story and gameplay are entirely separate entities. In the hand held versions it's especially awful because you have to suffer through the story to unlock more areas, but by then you just don't fucking care.

Chaobo99
Dec 5, 2010, 11:52 PM
Maybe they'll just scrap everything completely and make a whole new story >.>;.
Just as long as Dark Falz incarnate isn't a worm and the source of our destruction is not a virus. Though, I kinda likes the concept of A-Photons, and how the old civilization was destroyed because of said "advanced" technology.. Kinda silly though, why did the SEED leave in the first place if A-Photons still technically still existed.

Puppet_Papaya
Dec 5, 2010, 11:58 PM
Sega knows what's modern and what's not.
So why is Sonic the Hedgehog 4 basically Sonic 1 with HD graphics?
They may just do the time warp again!

BIG OLAF
Dec 6, 2010, 03:26 AM

What was wrong with Sonic 1? Nothing. Though, I never played Sonic 4, as I don't care about that hedgehog anyway; he's been dead to me for a long time. But, this isn't even about Sonic, so I'm not sure why you brought him up. I like to think that Sega's been learning from their recent mistakes, what with PSP2 being nothing short of amazing and whatnot, and PSP2i looks even better.

ANIMEniac
Dec 6, 2010, 08:21 AM
i always thought that PSO and PSU were mildly connected. not as far as story, but the fact that they are both happening near the same time, even if in alternate universe. for example, Rykros apparently opened a dimensional rift and that is how we got some of the PSO weapons in PSU. so i can see them being connected like that. i think the biggest fear that people have, including me, is that the story itself will be connected, or more specifically, written by the same writers that did PSU. personally, i think PSU's story was a HUGE joke w/o a punchline, where as PSO's was very well done and involving.

now before ppl get onto me about this let me explain what i liked in particular with PSO's story. in too many games the story has your character, whether it be a given one or self created, to be destined for greatness. in the case of PSU Ethan was the son of a famous guardian and blah blah he was the destined chosen booger whatever.
In PSO, your character simply joins up with the hunters guild and you start off doing grunt jobs and what not. you then start getting wrapped up in the greater story by no fault of your own and you become somewhat of an accidental hero.

{TLDR}..
PSU's story was cheesy, i think many people do not want PSO2 trapped in the same confines as the story from PSU

Kent
Dec 6, 2010, 12:24 PM
Partly because "modern" doesn't necessarily mean "better."

Partly because sometimes, the core experience is what matters - through the process of "modernization," some things that may have been critically-important end up simply becoming casualties. At this point, a return to form may be the best option.

AlexCraig
Dec 6, 2010, 01:12 PM
i always thought that PSO and PSU were mildly connected. not as far as story, but the fact that they are both happening near the same time, even if in alternate universe. for example, Rykros apparently opened a dimensional rift and that is how we got some of the PSO weapons in PSU. so i can see them being connected like that.

I actually kinda believe something like this, myself. I never played PSU for an extensive ammount of time, but given what you said above, and there could be all sorts of dimensional rifts in PSO (Anything having to do with D-Cells/Photons or Dark Falz going boom, dying, etc in particular), I do believe it is possible the games take place around the same time in different universes/dimensions/etc. Sounds a bit like a cop-out, but it COULD happen *shrug*

redroses
Dec 6, 2010, 03:12 PM

Because that is what all the old school nostalgic sonic fans wanted.
They were all crying for sonic to go back the way it was and blah blah blah.

And if people don't start coming back to the future and realizing that PSO was great back 10 years ago and left a total different impact on us because it was something really different back then, PSO2 will just be as boring and a remake of PSO, as Sonic the hedgehog 4 is of 1.

I really hope that PSO2 will be something completly fresh and new and doesn't take too much from PSO, because that would be a total dissappointment.

paracelsus
Dec 6, 2010, 03:17 PM
I haven't gotten far enough in PSU to try out any of the advanced classes, but I hope they just take the advanced classes along with the three standard classes and let you choose any of the 15 classes when you create you character.

BIG OLAF
Dec 6, 2010, 03:17 PM
Because that is what all the old school nostalgic sonic fans wanted.
They were all crying for sonic to go back the way it was and blah blah blah.

And if people don't start coming back to the future and realizing that PSO was great back 10 years ago and left a total different impact on us because it was something really different back then, PSO2 will just be as boring and a remake of PSO, as Sonic the hedgehog 4 is of 1.

I really hope that PSO2 will be something completly fresh and new and doesn't take too much from PSO, because that would be a total dissappointment.

^This is probably the best description towards how I feel, too. We don't need PSO2 being a "PSO Nostalgia Fest". It needs to have PSO's strengths (and PSU's), but still be it's own game. Or else it could very well end up being pointless, shallow fanservice, like Sonic 4 (according to everyone else; I never played Sonic 4).

NoiseHERO
Dec 6, 2010, 03:47 PM
^This is probably the best description towards how I feel, too. We don't need PSO2 being a "PSO Nostalgia Fest". It needs to have PSO's strengths (and PSU's), but still be it's own game. Or else it could very well end up being pointless, shallow fanservice, like Sonic 4 (according to everyone else; I never played Sonic 4).

Seems like some people get it @_@

(finally)

Puppet_Papaya
Dec 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
Partly because "modern" doesn't necessarily mean "better."

Partly because sometimes, the core experience is what matters - through the process of "modernization," some things that may have been critically-important end up simply becoming casualties. At this point, a return to form may be the best option.

But there is a serious problem when the first level is nearly identical in layout (and looks) to the first level in Sonic 1. You can't sell nostalgia as a product.
I liked the old sonic games just as much as any other longtime Sonic fan, but if I wanted to play the old Sonic games I would just...play the old Sonic games.
All I'm saying is that this game brings nothing new or original to the Sonic franchise.
That's all I'm going to say. I've gotten this thread off topic. I just wanted to point out that Sega will create a product with nothing more than feeding consumer's nostalgia in mind. PSO2 could very well be PSO Ep5.

paracelsus
Dec 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
Couldn't Episodes 2 & 4 be called sequels in their own right?

Wayu
Dec 7, 2010, 12:25 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ep. IV Blue Burst?

-Wayu

Broken_L_button
Dec 7, 2010, 01:04 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ep. IV Blue Burst?

-Wayu

If I wanted to be all technical and a stickler to details, I'd say "no, it's actually EP1, 2 & 4 in a bundle exclusive for PC", but your assessment is still pretty much to the point.

Anyways, instead of bothering about all the insignificant PSO vs PSU stuff and how "PSO2 being too that, this or that will kill me inside/make me rage/etc." or how "PSO2 should be this, that have these things and blah blah blah", I'd be more worried about whether or not they actually made significant progress.

All we have at the moment is a title, a title logo and a nostalgia fest trailer with obscure sentences supposedly referring to features in the game. Not to mention an announcement for open positions in key areas in the staff responsible for the game's production...Which was broadcasted AFTER that empty trailer. Not very encouraging. But meh, that's most likely my pessimism talking ;3

And, before I end this little post...Bear in mind that whatever SEGA decides for the story and environment of PSO2 (example: connecting it's universe and PSU's, putting in beasts and D-mans - makes more sense than dewman; I'm sure these guys aren't water droplets that appear on plants in the morning - or even making Falz into a huge dog with giant phallic protrusions on every square inch of its body that spray darkness that turns into goo that sticks players to the ground) will be cannon, and, by such logic, will totally make sense...In the series' universe anyways.

Well, that's just what I think. As long as I can have my cast supremacy, I'm happy.

EDIT: Oh, make that cast supremacy and an enjoyable gameplay.

EvilMag
Dec 7, 2010, 01:10 AM
I can bet PSO2 will play like PSZ.

Chaobo99
Dec 7, 2010, 01:34 AM
Tis' true. Whatever Sega decides in the end, they'll make it make sense no matter what it is and none of us can do anything about it. You can stop playing, but why would they care?

My household alone has 5 people that will play PSO2 no matter what it becomes; and each of us has like 3 or 4 friends that will also play no matter what it becomes. That makes up for any 1 person :P. Most of you people complaining now about "PSO2 being this...or being that..and this.." when we quite literally have 0% info are most likely gonna play the game when it comes out and enjoy whatever features it has. If not, well TOUGH. Not everything can be perfect for any 1 individual.

Anyways; i'm pretty sure all these portable PS games are just "test" games. They're likely gonna throw in whatever feature they can think of to see if it works or not. PSO2 is likely going to have PSU features and maybe perhaps PSO features/story. We don't know. I'm certain they're just not gonna just throw away their new "modernized" combat system that they've been shaping up from early PSU all the way to PSPo2:Infinity.
Also, aren't all the Phantasy Star games related in some form? That means it's likely PSO2 MIGHT make reference to PSU, MIGHT take place after PSU, MIGHT take place before PSO, MIGHT take place on the basis of Pioneer 3, or MIGHT even take place sometime during the original none-online PS games. We don't know.

Wayu
Dec 7, 2010, 01:46 AM
^

What we're doing here is speculation. Most of it probably won't end up making the cut, but it's sure fun to do so.

Quote Mikest.

That being said, I agree with Chaobo's last paragraph.

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Dec 7, 2010, 04:54 AM
I can bet PSO2 will play like PSZ.

/stabs pillow

Kion
Dec 7, 2010, 12:02 PM
^That made me lol.

lostinseganet
Dec 7, 2010, 06:29 PM
Beause pso was more aswomeer than psu.

BIG OLAF
Dec 7, 2010, 06:33 PM
Beause pso was more aswomeer than psu.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://thegoodjokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/funny-random-pics-71.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

ANIMEniac
Dec 8, 2010, 02:25 AM
^

What we're doing here is speculation. Most of it probably won't end up making the cut, but it's sure fun to do so.

-Wayu

that is honestly the only reason i realy post on th forums of any game. when PSU was just a glimmer in the eye of Sonic Team i was on the forums throwing around what-if's and i-want's. after the game came out i left the forum because i was PLAYING THE GAME.

that said, i will own up to the fact that i am going to play this game day 1 period, so until then its fun to toss around hopes and wishes. i would REALLY like the game to come out a certain way, but if it has some flaw (like non centralized mission start points ala psu, imo) i will most likely say "aww that sucks, why did they do that again. they are SOOO friggin' STUPID >_<! any1 looking to run dark Phallus for exp?"

Wayu
Dec 8, 2010, 04:06 AM
I see Crystal has infected you as well, ANIME.

I think most of us, even if we are disappointed by something, will end up living with it. SEGA might have its fallings, but they'll manage some how. They aren't a big name for nothing.

-Wayu

NoiseHERO
Dec 8, 2010, 06:59 AM
So I played some pso today...

It made me feel sad inside.

If only it was the year 2003