PDA

View Full Version : An Excerpt from my (Hopefully) Future Book

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 07:42 PM
(I just felt like writing something, and this came out)

Stereotypes
Excerpt from ‘Defying the Laws of Teenage Society’.

No matter how you try to deny it, no matter how you try to sugar-coat it, you cannot ignore the fact that our society, as a whole, is prejudiced.

This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. Our society prefers to do things quickly and efficiently; why waste time getting to know someone so you can fairly judge them, when you can just brand them on how they look or act like, and just move on?

When it comes to judging a person, there is always and with no exceptions, more than meets the eye. This is a simple truth that many people completely ignore, in favor of using prejudiced, preconceived beliefs when figuring out someone.

Stereotypes, while not always true, exist for a reason; they are commonly true, and are true because people in our society typically enforce them. Why does Eugene, president of the A/V club, not have any friends, while John, captain of the football team, has people dying for him to acknowledge their existence? Stereotypes are to blame.

These stereotypes in teenage environments are a root of many of society’s modern problems, and are typically extremely harsh for those on the ‘nerdy’ side of high schools. Why should Eugene try to be something other than himself, when people would just ridicule him if he tried to act out? On the other hand, however, remaining the same old Eugene would get him ridiculed as well, because smarts are generally undervalued in comparison to looks and popularity. No matter what little Eugene does, he will always be ridiculed, because he was branded early on as a ‘nerd’.

Harsh stereotypes are even more extreme in teenage dating situations, and teens who receive the short end of the stick in popularity are often penalized greatly. While John the football captain has girls falling over for him, Eugene is treated harshly by the females of his High School, often without ever approaching them or speaking to them.

Is this not an extremely misguided way to think? When girls fall head-over-heels in love with John and end up dating him, he will more than likely end up dumping these girls after making promises of love, and often he will show no regrets afterwards. However, while girls are whining about how John was such a jerk, and how they wish they could find a guy who wasn’t a jerk, little Eugene, a good and caring person at heart, is sitting alone, without any consideration whatsoever, because he has been branded as a ‘nerd’.

Could Eugene not appreciate feelings more than John ever could? Given the scarcity of such feelings in Eugene’s life, it would only be logical that he would appreciate those feelings more than John ever could. Why then, does Eugene still remain alone in this way? Once again, the answer lies in stereotypes.

The day that society can look past common, petty stereotypes, will be the day that benevolent people will rule. Those concerned with good will towards men are too far and few between, because of the primal desire to be accepted in High School societies capture most people early on. It is a sad truth, but a truth nonetheless.

The Last Baron
Dec 7, 2010, 07:51 PM
Sounds like an excerpt from an essay, not a book. Just throwin' that out there. The character names are the only thing bringing it back to "story telling"

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 07:55 PM
True enough, but I kinda wanna write a book around it. It just needs to be expanded, that's all.

Pirrip
Dec 7, 2010, 08:11 PM
This entry is one reason Glee is such a popular show, in my opinion.

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 08:18 PM
Ugh, I hate Glee.
:P

BIG OLAF
Dec 7, 2010, 08:19 PM
Eugene is treated harshly by the females of his High School, often without ever approaching them or speaking to them...........Eugene, a good and caring person at heart, is sitting alone, without any consideration whatsoever, because he has been branded as a ‘nerd’.

Hmm, this looks familiar to me for some reason...

...oh, yeah. That's right. I remember all that now. Fuckin' highschool...

...I mean, not like it's changed much now that I'm graduated. :nono:

Anyway, your book seems really informative, and if it ever gets published, let me know. I'd be interested in it.

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hmm, this looks familiar to me for some reason...

...oh, yeah. That's right. I remember all that now. Fuckin' highschool...

...I mean, not like it's changed much now that I'm graduated. :nono:

Anyway, your book seems really informative, and if it ever gets published, let me know. I'd be interested in it.

I'm only 15 :P I think there's an age limit on publishing.

BIG OLAF
Dec 7, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'm only 15 :P I think there's an age limit on publishing.

No, there certainly isn't. If your book is good/informative enough, it doesn't matter how old you are.

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 08:31 PM
Then I need to stop slacking. :P

BIG OLAF
Dec 7, 2010, 08:36 PM
Then I need to stop slacking. :P

I'm sure you've read, or at least heard of the book, The Outsiders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_%28novel%29), right? Well, the author, S.E. Hinton was published at the age of 15.

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yea, I love the Outsiders. I thought she was 17 though.

BIG OLAF
Dec 7, 2010, 08:39 PM
Yea, I love the Outsiders. I thought she was 17 though.

Yeah, I read it wrong. She started writing the book at 15, but didn't get published until 17. Still underage, though. So you have nothing to worry about as long as you work hard.

Unionhack
Dec 7, 2010, 08:43 PM
You know it, my friend.
I've always wanted to write a book anyway :D

AC9breaker
Dec 7, 2010, 08:56 PM
I think this excerpt raises some really interesting points that deserves further exploration through discourse.

The main thing I wanted to talk about is how this particular entry seems to suggest that the mind of a teenager is synaptic-ally and cognitively mature enough to see beyond the mores of it's peer group. As it stands, I doubt there are even that many adults who can do such a thing with any kind of precision as well. Also, there are various other variables that should be addressed such as the personality types of individuals. For example, if I had to guess by the very terse examples you gave, Eugene is an introvert, John an extrovert. Why did I come to this conclusion? Well because you didn't provide enough information to formulate an accurate assessment of the individuals so I am forced to fall back on my prejudices to fill in the gaps. There is also the issue of the two individuals conditioning and rearing and relationship interaction with people since child hood. This in terms shapes their personality types which decides if they would fall into their stereotype category. What if Eugene was an extrovert, would he still be viewed the same? Or if John was introvert? Would the girls still be all over him?

For the most part, if prejudices for any particular group can be hoped to be broken the change must come from within the group, and can not hoped be achieved from the outside. It's like asking someone to bring down a concrete wall with nothing but a slab of meat as your tool.

I really do think thats it's far too much to ask that prejudiced be completely done away with because for the most part it is impossible to accurately deduce everything about a person just from a glance unless your Sherlock Holmes. The best you could hope for is expanded parameters on our prejudices.